New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default 6 spells from the Book of Vile Darkness [PEACH]

Several spells from the infamous Book of Vile Darkness converted into 5e.
    You could use them in the following ways:
    -Add them to the original spellcasting list of an Evil PC, most likely in an evil campaign
    -Add them to the spellcasting list of an Evil NPC
    -Allow PCs to stumble over a vile scroll containing these spells
    -Simply include these spells in the in-game Artifact "Book of Vile Darkness" so that the PCs can use them

So, here we go:

Darkbolt
    2nd-level Evocation
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 90ft
    Target: One creature
    Duration: Instantaneous
    The caster makes a ranged spell attack against a foe, launching a bolt of cold darkness from his left hand. The bolt deals 4d8 damage with no specific type. When struck, the foe must also succeed at a Constitution Saving Throw or be stunned for his/her next turn, overwhelmed by the evil charge of the darkbolt.
    At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 2nd.

Unliving Weapon
    3rd-level Necromancy
    Components: V, S, M (pinch of sulfur)
    Range: 30 feet
    Target: One undead creature
    Duration: 1 hour (concentration)
    This spell causes an undead creature to explode in a burst of powerful energy when struck for at least 1 point of damage, or at a set time no longer than the duration of the spell, whichever comes first. The explosion is a 15-foot-radius burst that deals 8d6 necrotic damage.
    While this spell can be an effective form of attack against an undead creature, necromancers often use unliving weapon to create undead capable of suicide attacks (if such a term can be applied to something that is already dead). Skeletons or zombies with this spell cast upon them can be very dangerous to foes that would normally disregard them.
    At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can target 1 additional undead creature for each 2 slot levels above 3rd.

Curse of the Putrid Husk
    3rd-level Illusion
    Components: V, S, M (powdered human bone)
    Range: 30 feet
    Duration: 1 hour (concentration)
    This illusion forces the subject to believe his flesh is rotting and falling off his body, and that his internal organs are spilling out. If the target fails his Wisdom saving throw, he is horrified during his next round, suffers from the Stunned condition, and takes 1d8 necrotic and 1d8 psychic damage. During each of the end of the target’s turns, the target can repeat his Wisdom saving throw (the difficulty of the saving throw decreases by 1 every round). Also, when the target takes damage, he can repeat his Wisdom saving throw with disadvantage (this is because the damage may contradict with the illusion - for instance, the damage inflicted may cause pain in an arm that the target believes has already rotted off). If the target succeeds on any of these saves, the spell ends. If he fails, he again takes the damage listed above, and remains horrified (stunned).

Wall of Flesh
    6th-level Conjuration
    Components: V, S, M (body parts of a zombie)
    Range: 100 feet
    A disgusting wall made of rotting flesh springs into existence at a point you choose within range.
    The wall is 6 inches thick and is composed of ten 10-foot-by-10-foot panels. Each panel must be contiguous with at least one other panel. If the wall cuts through a creature's space when it appears, the creature is pushed to one side of the wall (your choice). If a creature would be surrounded on all sides by the wall (or the wall and another solid surface), that creature can make a Dexterity saving throw. On a success, it can use its reaction to move up to its speed so that it is no longer enclosed by the wall. This wall can be used to seal off a passage or close a breach, for the wall inserts itself into any surrounding nonliving material if its area is sufficient to do so.
    Eyeballs, ears, noses and mouths spring to the surface of the wall. Arms and legs may sprout as well. The five senses of the wall – except for touch (and pain) – are immediately transmitted to the caster.
    Each 10-foot section of the wall has 25 HP per inch of thickness and AC 12 (normally 150 HP). A section of wall brought to 0 hit points is breached.
    Any creature which makes physical interaction with the wall (including melee weapons and touch magic) takes 1d6 points of necrotic damage from the corrosive nature of the rotting flesh and the haunting moans. Only the surrounding material that the wall initially is conjured to touch—such as the floor or an adjoining wall—is immune to this damage.
    Furthermore, organic material (such as creatures) that directly touch the wall must succeed at a Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed. The wall then consumes the creature in 3 rounds, digesting it and adding the creature’s full normal hit point total to its own. The player can repeat the Constitution saving throw during each of his turns to escape this.

Death by Thorns
    7th-level Conjuration
    Range: 25 feet
    The caster causes thorns to sprout from the insides of the subject creature, which writhes in agony for 3 rounds, incapacitated and taking 6d6 points of piercing damage at the start of each of his turns, before his HP immediately hit 0, with 1 already failed Death Saving Throw. During the 3 rounds of effect, the target makes a Constitution saving throw during each of the end of his turns, ending the above effects on a success.
    However, a creature that succeeds at his Constitution saving throw is still cursed by the thorns for 1d6 extra turns. During this time, he takes 3d6 points of piercing damage at the start of each of his turns. Also, even the slightest movement inflicts terrible pain to the target – resulting in 1d4 damage for each attack or spell attempted, and 1d4 damage for each 5 feet the target moves. In addition, the moving speed of the target is halved during this time.
    A Wish spell cast on a subject during this time can eliminate the thorns and completely save the creature. In this case, the thorns do not linger, ending all effects of this spell.

Apocalypse Spell
    9th-level Necromancy
    Components: V, S, M (the severed head of a Good humanoid)
    Range: 30-mile radius, centered on caster
    The caster calls upon the darkest forces in all existence to rain destruction down upon the land. All creatures and objects in the spell’s area take 10d6 points of fire, acid, or poison damage (caster’s choice), and 10d6 points of necrotic damage. This damage typically levels forests, sends mountains tumbling, and wipes out entire populations of living creatures. The caster takes half of this damage.
    In addition, crimson clouds quickly gather overhead, and unleash a horrible rainstorm of blood that covers the area. The blood pours down in thick drops, coating everything in a dark red, sticky mess. Any living, non-evil creature in the area of a rain of blood must succeed at a Constitution save or take a –1 penalty on attack and damage rolls, checks, and saves for 24 hours. Undead, and any evil creatures the caster controls gain a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls, checks, and saves for 24 hours if they are in the area of the rain, or if they are summoned in the area of the rain.

Comments and constructive critisism greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Gastronomie; 2016-02-05 at 09:04 AM.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: 6 spells from the Book of Vile Darkness [PEACH]

First of all, nice. I do love to use BoVD for evil NPC's.

I am probs not the best qualified, but I will add my 2 cents where appropriate.

Darkbolt. Seems pretty powerful. Damage is comparable to Scorching ray, probably the best level 2 damage spell. Asuming hits, scorching averages 21 damage over up to 3 targets while your Darkbolt has 22.5 on a single target. It has shorter range, but avoids resistances by being untyped and a chance to stun? IMO outdamaging Scorching ray, while having a better damage type and a pwoerful secondary effect is too good. That is compared to the best pure damage spell, compared to say melfs arrow with 6d4 Acid over 2 turns, average 15 damage. Well. I would drop the damage somewhat. maybe 4d8 (18dmg avg). Con save all creatures will have decent at (everyone wants con), so thats somewhat balanced.

Unliving Weapon. This one I love. Damage like fireball, better damage type, lower range and as a PC you have to use the resource of a zombie to get it to work. Allows for some cool sneaky combos as a PC and as a DM. Hide some necrotic fireballs among your zombie army and watch the high level PC's suddenly get very worried when a swarm of low CR mooks appear. Maybe have a higher level version, where every say 2 levels of higher spellslot let you charge another undead minion to go boom.

Curse of the Putrid Husk
    Interesting spell. stun+damage can be really nasty. the DC decreasing each turn is good though. Maybe add that damage to target from other sources also allows another save with disadvantage? like if a sword hits you, you notice it cuts your arm normally, where the illusion is making you believe there should just be rotted meat and bones left. AFB atm so i would have to run the math in detail another time.
    GENERATION 17: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Shadows over Thornfall. A 5e Campaign Journal (sadly never completed) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...over-Thornfall

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Gastronomie View Post
    Darkbolt
    2nd-level Evocation
    Range: 90ft
    The caster makes a ranged spell attack against a foe, launching a bolt of cold darkness from his left hand. The bolt deals 5d8 damage with no specific type. When struck, the foe must also succeed at a Constitution Saving Throw or be stunned for his/her next turn, overwhelmed by the evil charge of the darkbolt.
    My advice would be to drop the damage to 5d6 so it's inflicting the same damage as an upcast Guiding Bolt but with a much better rider effect. Why doesn't this deal necrotic damage? It seems thematic, and "no specific damage type" isn't a concept in 5e. All damage currently in the system is typed, and I don't see any really compelling reason to depart from that here.

That 1 hour duration on Curse of the Putrid Husk makes me itchy. I'd feel a better if it were made a minute duration (as Hold Person), even though there's no real question of the spell lasting the full hour anyway.

Apocalypse is arguably more powerful than similar 9th level spell options (mostly Meteor Swarm), but the level of power you can expect from 9th level spells is so variant that it probably doesn't matter. It's a power level that isn't suitable for all campaigns, but that's not necessarily important.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2016-02-05 at 09:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Trudat with Darkbolt. Changing it a bit - how would this work now?

That idea for "higher levels" seems pretty nice with Unliving Weapon. Adding, thanks~

And yes, the "my arm which doesn't even exist HURTS" seems like a very logical reason to get a new save from Curse of the Putrid Husk. Adding that too.

Thanks!!

EDIT: I started writing the reply to Seruvius before reading Flashy's post. So answering to Flashy.
    I had edited it to be 4d8, I dunno which is better between 5d6. A bit too lazy to edit right now so making it 4d8 as of now, sorta sorry but. Well, 4d8 inflicts 0.5 more damage average, but at the same time has a possibility of getting lower numbers compared to 5d6.
    As for the "no specific damage type", the original spell had it like that (to be exact, half was cold damage and the other half was of no specific type, but that seemed too complex so I changed it). Since this spell is something only special Boss NPCs and Evil PCs (in this spell's case, maybe Chaotic Neutral as well, but anyways) are gonna be using, I supposed it could have some bit "special" elements. To make it really clear that this isn't "typical magic", but something wholly unnatural that "goes against the laws of the universe", I made it damage of "no speficic type".

The hour duration of Husk was, well, I think the original was a spell that makes the target fall unconscious for 1d10 minutes on just a single failed save, which I felt was sorta absurd for a Level 3 spell, if sorta disappointing from a sadistic-evil-sorcerer point of view as well (better to keep him wide awake!). I could make it 1 minute but feeling it's fine as it is as of now, since it could now also be used by evil people to torture those they personally really hate.

Apocalypse Spell's damage is about the same as a Meteor Swarm with the save turning out successful (perhaps better-working against the many monsters with fire resistance, though), and you take half the damage as well. It could also harm other PCs who aren't of evil alignment (though I doubt a PC could ever gain this spell unless it's a strictly evil campaign), making it a bad choice for the majority of adventurers. Only those who are both evil and ambitious will ever think of using it, so I don't think it's meant to be balanced or unbalanced.
    The thing is that this spell has an extremely wide area of effect (it's roughly equal to the whole state of Rhode Island), which makes this something of an economy-devastating or even possibly kingdom-collapsing spell. Sorta like an atom bomb. Well generally, using it will make you the enemy of the entire universe.
    It's more flavor than usefulness.
    But thanks for the comments anyway.
    Last edited by Gastronomie; 2016-02-05 at 09:43 AM.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Love these, great job. The vile darkness spells always seemed a tad strong anyways.
    Anyone working on updating more 3.5 stuff to 5th? I though the vow feats would fit great.

OOps....was that necromancy?
    Last edited by j_spencer93; 2016-10-03 at 08:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

To go further on other peoples comments, the best thing to do to convert is find similar spells in the PHB for that level, and modify as needed.

Darkbolt is doing both a high damage and powerful condition, which would seem a little overpowered for a second level spell.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

no paldins beloved spell called mind rape

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

The stunning effects on Darkbolt and Husk seem pretty powerful, the former being bundled with some hefty damage for spells of a similar level, the latter being a continuous effect with continuous damage. The diminishing save helps a lot for Husk, that being said.

I'd be curious to see these spells executed with some cost to the caster to mitigate the power of the spells, be it 'recoil' damage that erodes at the caster's hand when they fling a Darkbolt or temporary penalties to their Wisdom as the spells take their toll on the user's sanity.

All that said, I love these, and would be happy to use them on any antagonist spellcaster.