New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: RWBY Tuesday: LaZodiac plays RWBY Grimm Eclipse and maybe other RWBY things!(?)

I've been waiting for this run!

Spoiler: Team YYYY confirmed!
    Show

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY Tuesday: LaZodiac plays RWBY Grimm Eclipse and maybe other RWBY things!(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I've been waiting for this run!

Spoiler: Team YYYY confirmed!
    Show
    Between the four of them they have like, two people's worth of arms. Nice

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

The fact that the first non-random line is literally "As you, know" cracks me up every single time.

Edit: Yang video comments! Wannabe game dev time!

2:00: Between the big booms being weaker and the ice cube this game has good art, but bad art direction. Establishing a consistent visual language is important for a game like this.
    Random game design note: invisible walls (and regular walls) would look much better if the character just stopped animating toward them.

6:30: Yeah, they probably reused code. Nothing wrong with that, no reason to reinvent the wheel. All the characters probably share at least ground locomotion code, and and most of their jump code. Adjusting variable is dead simple however, heck if you do it right, you can just type a new number in the editor.

8:20: Wow, the aim in this game is terrible. I agree it should be priority number one for the devs.
    Could that uppercut thing be designed for multiplayer combos? That would actually look really cool.

9:50 Did Weiss's big boom miss like that? Would be really weird if it didn't, as they look like reskins of each other.

11:58: YAY EXCUSE PLOT! That VA is way too enthusiastic for those lines.

13:30: Consequence of not using Root Motion. They need to do a better job hiding how the position of the pig model and the pig's facing in the code are not necessarily linked.

14:12: Credit where it's due: The aura replenished sound is wonderful. As are the Grim dusting animations.

16:16: Just guessing here but it looks like some minor height discrepancies are causing quake to miss. Does it sometimes only hit some enemies?
    Last edited by Avian Overlord; 2016-03-23 at 03:13 PM.
    We are the Blorg. You will be befriended. Resistance is impolite.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Avian Overlord View Post
    The fact that the first non-random line is literally "As you, know" cracks me up every single time.

Edit: Yang video 6:30: Yeah, they probably reused code. Nothing wrong with that, no reason to reinvent the wheel. All the characters probably share at least ground locomotion code, and and most of their jump code. Adjusting variable is dead simple however, heck if you do it right, you can just type a new number in the editor.
    That's true, it just seems like they've done it...poorly. Weiss's movement doesn't seem to fit her model as talked about earlier, and both her and Yang seem a little slow.

5. - Top - End - #65

Edit: Yang video comments! Wannabe game dev time!
    Sorry I think I missed some of this. I'll respond to it in today's new post, which is today and now!

RWBY Tuesday: RWBY Grimm Eclipse [8] Yangarang

Video Length: 26:08

This is it guys, basically the last of these videos until the game actually updates in a way that makes me have more things to play with that doesn't also make the game literally actually unplayable. This should be a good one in as far as to say that Yang is still an enjoyable to play as character. Unfortunately (or fortunately your choice) this is also the episode where Yang shows us her punsmanship. Now, I do like puns, it's just that this one is a REALLY bad one. Oh hey by the way SPOILERS FOR THE SHOW ARE IN THIS EPISODE.

Also seen this episode is more wacky physics interactions with the pigs, and with the other enemies in general. As it turns out someone who jumps as poorly and runs as slow as Yang has some difficulties escaping the horde of Grimm in the payload section of the level! It's pretty funny though actually so I mean...as long as I don't die I'm fine with it. But I do hope they try to fix it.

With that finally all said and done, I can really give a final sort of thoughts on this game, as it is right now. My thoughts are thusly; do not buy this game yet. It's basically broken to the degree where buying it is not worth your time, even if you love the show. It's still in Early Access and I completely understand the problems that that entails, but compare this game and it's production to Crypt of the Necrodancer (to use an example that is fairly well known). It was in Early Access for the longest time...but when it was first put INTO Early Access it was a complete and whole game. It was a little SPARSE, but it had a beginning middle and end and it had mechanics that all worked exactly how they should. RWBY: Grimm Eclipse does not have this. Yes, I know, you can't expect perfection from everyone, but I just feel that with a program this broken, where the combat doesn't really flow and the aiming is clearly trash that just doesn't work, and gameplay this bland and tedious, it's not worth even really looking at beyond the spectacle of seeing how bad it is.

That said I hope it GETS good. I love beat em up games and I do have a soft spot for RWBY in my cold dark Zodi Heart, warts and all (and that's a lot of warts I tell you what). So I want the game to be good, I really really do, it's just not ready yet. So yeah, that's my little rant, and until this game updates or I find a RWBY thing worth looking at this'll be the end of RWBY Tuesday, for now at least. If you've enjoyed/hated this please feel free to send your regards to my good friend Randman because he's the guy who gifted this to me, not even knowing I was hellbent on playing it for the internet if anyone ACTUALLY took the bait and did so.

Additionally, if you like me or the stuff I do, since I know some of the people watching this may not watch what I do typically, here are some links to look at.

There's my current LP that's ongoing, wherein I play Minish Cap (except I'm done that and doing a short side thing in Four Swords, and holding a vote to see which game I do next.)

My Super Mario Sunshine LP, which is my first one with text commentary. It's pretty good, I get 100% clear and kind of go insane.

My run through of Skyward Sword, which started this whole mess. No commentary because Zodi was too busy but lots of good thread commentary. Definitely worth watching.

Of course, all of those are available on my channel here. It's a good channel, probably needs SOME degree of cleaning up? I don't know. It has playlists!

And of course my Patreon but you can find that link in the videos~

So yeah, that's RWBY Tuesday. I hope you all enjoyed. The thread'll stay up for when they DO update the game again, but for now this little project will go on the back burner. I may potentially be starting a job soonish maybe perhaps and that'd cut into my time as a Zodi. Thank you all for participating.

As a reminder: Here's the poll to decide which game I play next. Go get em tigers!
    ------

Gonna respond to those questions and stuff Avian asked here.

16:16: Just guessing here but it looks like some minor height discrepancies are causing quake to miss. Does it sometimes only hit some enemies?
    Well, as this newest video shows, it is not a height discrepancy thing it literally will just whiff out of nowhere. Weiss's didn't do this either, by the way.

14:12: Credit where it's due: The aura replenished sound is wonderful. As are the Grim dusting animations.
    Agreed. I knock this game for a lot of stuff but the actual animation of the Grimm dying and fading away is actually really cool looking. I just wish the game was better so I could enjoy it more.

11:58: YAY EXCUSE PLOT! That VA is way too enthusiastic for those lines.
    Yeah that's just how she rolls. Yang's voice actress is probably the best of the main four, in this game for SURE and in the show probably. Which I mean says more about the others than it does for her.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

Yeah that's just how she rolls. Yang's voice actress is probably the best of the main four, in this game for SURE and in the show probably. Which I mean says more about the others than it does for her.
    I meant Ozpin I think Yang's VA is fine, even without lowered standards.

Okay, video comments!

Spoiler: Wall of Text
    Show

1:25: Maybe the Yang-boom is out of sync with other game functions? Like using FixedUpdate instead of Update? (FixedUpdate is every time the physics sim runs, Update is every sixty-ith of a second)

2:00 The physics they *have* don't work! (Yes, I know you said that.) When should ragdolls come up? Not saying they shouldn't, but I don't see a place for them. BTW, how long is this game going to be? The character leveling seems to think of ten as max, but getting to ten is way too short for a full game. Another reason the game's Steam Early Access should be delayed.

2:30 This environment is very brown and low contrast. This especially stands out compared to the character designs. C'mon, throw some red rust or some old blue pipes or SOMETHING! Barring environments the assets (graphics and sounds) in this game are pretty good. Clearly the problem is on the programming end. And the writing end.

3:00 Why can't you appreciate a good terrible pun LaZodiac?

4:52 She certainly has the most satisfying combat animation and feel of any of the characters. Baddies seem to go down in a good number of punches. That second comment seems almost in character.

6:20 That uppercut is really cool. Pity about its usefulness. Maybe as a getaway power?

7:00 Right. You know, that is a very weird motif to have chosen.

7:46 Invisible walls would look so much better if characters just stopped instead of running into nothingness.

8:30 They should totally leave that in. In seriousness, this looks like they made the boar's collider too tall. Most objects in games do not detect collisions via their actual mesh (the 3D shape) but a simplified geometric shape. It usually works better than this.

9:40 For "Anime punch girl" Yang seems to have the most personality, both in voice and gameplay. Being rewarded for aura breaking seems in-character.

10:37 Way to make the core gameplay sound boring Obleck. Also, surely more interesting environments are available in a ruined city than "brown 90% empty junkyard".

13:19 Don't worry, I thought it was funny. Of course I also found that pun funny, so....

14:33 Why don't they put the line about how well the building has held up here?

16:12 I'd be up for playing a full sized game as this person. Good job writer people!

17:57 I am starting to see why Necrodancer was your go to example. Good choice.

21:00 The glowing dust crystals really make this level look a lot better than the last one.

25:23 I find his dialogue in this sequence amusing. So sue me.
    Last edited by Avian Overlord; 2016-03-30 at 08:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

I meant Ozpin I think Yang's VA is fine, even without lowered standards.

Spoiler: Wall of Text
    Show

2:00 The physics they *have* don't work! (Yes, I know you said that.) When should ragdolls come up? Not saying they shouldn't, but I don't see a place for them. BTW, how long is this game going to be? The character leveling seems to think of ten as max, but getting to ten is way too short for a full game. Another reason the game's Steam Early Access should be delayed.

2:30 This environment is very brown and low contrast. This especially stands out compared to the character designs. C'mon, throw some red rust or some old blue pipes or SOMETHING! Barring environments the assets (graphics and sounds) in this game are pretty good. Clearly the problem is on the programming end. And the writing end.

3:00 Why can't you appreciate a good terrible pun LaZodiac?

4:52 She certainly has the most satisfying combat animation and feel of any of the characters. Baddies seem to go down in a good number of punches. That second comment seems almost in character.

6:20 That uppercut is really cool. Pity about its usefulness. Maybe as a getaway power?

9:40 For "Anime punch girl" Yang seems to have the most personality, both in voice and gameplay. Being rewarded for aura breaking seems in-character.

13:19 Don't worry, I thought it was funny. Of course I also found that pun funny, so....

14:33 Why don't they put the line about how well the building has held up here?

17:57 I am starting to see why Necrodancer was your go to example. Good choice.
    That's Professor Port, but I won't fault you for not remembering a minor side character from this. Also, the idea of this game is that you play through multiple campaigns ALA Left 4 Dead. So, the max level is ten, but you restart at level 1 whenever you play the same level again, or when you go to pick a new level. Everything in this RWBY series has been playing only one Campaign, as there is so far ONLY the one campaign.

Well the idea in universe is that the Grimm don't fade away immediately, so it'd be fun to see them slam into each other all rag-dolly before poofing. Good point though.

Yeah I'll say that much, ignoring potential thoughts on the character design at least the game looks good. It looks better than the show!

Oh, I can appreciate a good pun. I just think this one (and it's delivery) was a little dry.

You've seen it in the video already but there are issues with her uppercut being used as an escape move. The most immediately obvious one is that it makes you go straight up.

Yang is the only character who's in show powers really get shown off in game in any degree of success. She's also probably the best developed and written of the main cast (refer back to your comment on the poor writing and realize this game's writing is basically the norm).

Eh, humour is probably the most subjective. I'm also just playing it up a bit. I also think that, if this game was to be "fixed" into an actual good beat em up, Yang would be the best character to have centerstage if you wanted to focus on a specific character.

Necrodancer's a good ass game. The only real flaw I can say with regards to it is, I mean it's a "play to the beat" game, and that might just not be a thing people like.

Glad you've enjoyed this, and hope to see you on other projects!

8. - Top - End - #68

Hello all you guys who may of only followed this but are interested in following other things I do.

First: Here's that link you asked for with all my compiled LPs and stuff.

Second: Momodora Reviere Under the Moonlight has begun! This'll be my final post in this thread until new game stuff comes out or I discover something else worth my time RWBY wise.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you Rawhide. That one is getting forwarded to my friends.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2016-05-01 at 11:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Thank you Rawhide. That one is getting forwarded to my friends.
    Let it be a warning that they put the formerly beta opt-in combat changes into the base game forever now and they make the game fundementally unplayable.

Bringing it up here to say, due to work, RWBY Tuesday probably wooon't be coming back any time soon. Job plus the game being really awful right now plus basically a lack of interest has made me need to hiatus it. Sorry!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is also worth noting that LaZodiac's current LPed game is also part of the same sale.