The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VI

The Bloody Crown - Continued

In that dread desert, beneath the moon’s pale gaze, dead men walk.

They haunt the shifting dunes of the breathless, windless night, brandishing weapons of bronze in mocking challenge and bitter resentment of the life they no longer possess.

And sometimes, in ghastly dry voices, like the rustling of sun-baked reeds, they whisper the one word they remember from life. The name of the one who cursed them to their existence of more than death but less than life.

They whisper the name, Nagash.

OOC

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "You watch your step. Or I'll make you fried Fish."
    Walking away, Elsa tried to block out the odd, snorting sounds of Fischwillen trying not to laugh. It sounded like he was choking on a badger.

Elsa & Sieghard, Evening

Spoiler
    Show
    That night, the forest around Painford was a constellation of campfires, glittering in the dark. The earth of the town square had been reduced to trodden mud, the black outlines of soldiers moving back and forth in front of Mayor Drago's peculiar statue. Lights blazed in the windows of the hostel, where Muzio Sforza dined.

The hostel-keeper and his wife had been unceremoniously evicted, the Captain's own cook taking up residence in the kitchen. Turning up at the door in his cleanest clothes, Sieghard saw he was not alone. The table had been laid for nine. Standing with their faces half in shadow in the warm candle-light, he saw Barbaro, Bianco, Carraciolo, Valdes and Al-Makir. Almost all of Sforza's senior officers were present - but as far as Sieghard could tell he was the only militia commander to have received an invitation.

"Sieghard!" he heard Irene delightedly exclaim. She billowed towards him with a dazzling smile. "So glad you could come," she said, as if there was anywhere else in the hamlet he could have gone, and took his arm. "You must sit by me."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's have another Charm test: (1d100)[81]

At the back of the hall, the Captain looked up from a quiet conversation with Al-Makir, and nodded a silent acknowledgement. The look he gave Sieghard was half greeting, half warning.

Last to join the gathering was Elsa, who had received Sforza's last-minute summons with some surprise. Ducking under the low doorway of the hostel, she found herself seated at the opposite end of the long table from the Captain and his wife. She couldn't help but wonder if this was Irene's doing.

Clapping his hands once for silence, Sforza motioned for his guests to be seated. As the first of the food was brought out, he propped his elbows on the table and leaned forwards, addressing them all.

"Gentlemen," he said, speaking in grudging Reikspiel for Sieghard's benefit. He nodded to Elsa. "Ladies. You should know that I have this afternoon sent a messenger to Edouard Alvarr." He looked around the table. "The message I gave him is this. The lords of his coalition have three days to meet us, at a place of their choosing, and explain their actions. Otherwise I will be forced to consider their unprovoked attacks on Ravenskird and Painford as a declaration of war."

He paused, leaning back so the servants waiting on them could put a plate in front of him. "You should know I have no wish for war. Summer is over, and winter will be with us soon. If Alvarr retreats to his stronghold in Alvarran there will be no flushing him out." He formed one hand into a fist. "But if war is what he intends, we must be ready to strike the first blow. Your regiments must be ready to march when the order is given, with all the supplies you require for a long campaign."

"Those are your orders," he said. "Do you have any questions?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-09 at 05:04 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VI

Sieghard & Elsa, that evening

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard did not miss the significance of the look Sforza gave him. "You are too kind, my lady," he said. "but I've done nothing to deserve such an honor."

Spoiler
    Show
    81 has to be a failure, even for her, thank goodness. Sieghard will sit next to either Al-Makir or Valdes depending on which has a seat available next to him and which is further from Irene's seat.

He'll wait a bit before voicing his question. He'd prefer to not be the first to speak.

"If Alvarr refuses, what of Savonne and the elf?" he asked.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Irene looked piqued, but said nothing - Sieghard had moved too quickly for her to gracefully argue the point.

After Carraciolo and Valdes had asked their questions about the provision supplies (fielded by Al-Makir), Sieghard asked his.

"The last we heard, Savonne still holds," said Sforza. "If Alvarr chooses war, then we give him no more time. We will break the siege."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert stared after the retreating woman for a moment. Then he dropped the splint and fled for the door before the husband could return with his pitchfork. Adelbert doubted he could sway him from violence, and even if he could there was no hope of getting the horse now.

For a moment there he'd really felt the goddess might be listening, but no. Nothing. Whether he'd turned from her or she from him, their paths had diverged long before.

As he paused to catch his breath away from the homestead he seriously considered just slipping back to Painford. What kind of life was this? He missed his friends, he missed sleeping in his bed, he missed having a life.

But he'd sworn an oath to Alvarr and what else was left for him with all the other pillars in his life crumbled to dust. So he trudged back to camp to explain his failure. He rehearsed his story: All the locals have fled and I don't blame them. That smoke from the south must have been visible from Savonne itself...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    It was getting late when Adelbert returned to the camp - but as he approached, he saw a disturbance among the men. Heading down to the riverside, he saw Ehrman and Jager engaged in a heated exchange with a stranger, while some of Jager's men held onto the reins of an equally agitated horse.

Looking closer, he realised the newcomer wasn't a total stranger - not to him, anyway. Even in the evening light, he recognised him as Abdul's man, Rahim.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Silently cursing his terrible luck Adelbert crept back away, praying he had not been seen. Unless they were simply going to kill the man - and that argument made it look unlikely - he had no choice but stay away until Rahim left. He had no doubt Abdul's man would recognise him and not only would that mean he could never set foot in Sforza's lands again it would put his friends - known associates all - in mortal peril.

Retreating as quietly as possible he set down to make a lonely camp some hundred feet from the main camp.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa was seated too far away from Irene and Sieghard to eavesdrop on their conversation, but she could tell from Sieghard's polite but reserved expression that he was impervious to the lady's charms. That made her feel a bit better; her utter failure to intimidate Fischwillen earlier had put her in a gloomy mood.

Listening to Sforza's speech, she did not believe for a second that her employer hoped to avert war. He most likely wanted to make a show of moral high ground before a war that he knew to be inevitable. Although Elsa disliked politics, she recognized that Sforza was rather proficient at it, given how he had managed to paint himself as the savior of Manann's Keep rather than its conqueror. He was not naive; he would surely be prepared for the possibility of treachery at the negotiation table.

Elsa spoke up: "What if the Norscans acted alone? I trust we'll demand the head of the one who led the raid?"

That would put Alvarr in an uncomfortable position: having to choose between all-out war and the loss of a powerful ally.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "And all those who took part," said Sforza, with a nod. He looked to Sieghard. "The commander here can help us to identify them."

"I'm sure the villains will give themselves away," said Irene, with a musical laugh. "They will faint with fear when they see him again!"

Polite laughter rippled around the table. The last of the plates were set down, and Sforza gestured for his guests to eat. It was duck, no doubt fresh from the hostel-keeper's larder. Drizzled with strange sauces and garnished with herbs, it looked strange to Sieghard, who had seldom eaten anything other than poor soldier's fare - but it smelt better than anything he had ever tasted.

As the attendants went around filling pewter goblets of wine, Irene leaned forward, propping her chin on her hand and angling herself such that Sieghard had to make a conscious effort to keep his gaze at eye level. "So," she said, idly playing with her fork as if she weren't hungry at all, "commander... we've all heard Esteban's account of how the two of you killed that awful monster on the bridge. But you know he's terrible at telling stories." She flashed a dazzling smile at the Estalian, who gave a self-deprecating chuckle. "Would you grace us with your telling?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Irene ain't giving up so easy!

Charm - (1d100)[24] vs. 74

BOOM.

Again up to you with how you want to play Sieghard's reaction, but Irene's two main goals with this roll are to cloud Sieghard's memory of any warning looks he might have got from any important captains or doctors, and to make him really really want to impress/please her.
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-10 at 12:01 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #9

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    When Irene spoke to Sieghard, people quieted down enough for Elsa to hear her from across the table. The wizard almost bit her tongue when she heard Irene inquire about how "the two of you", meaning Valdes and Sieghard, had slain Magog.

I seem to remember there were three of us on the bridge, she refrained from saying. She shot a glance at Valdes to see how gracefully he was taking Irene's casual dismissal of his storytelling ability.

An attendant walked by and filled Elsa's cup with wine. As he was about to move on, Elsa caught him by the sleeve to stop him, downed the better part of her drink in a few gulps, then offered the cup for an immediate refill.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    [24] vs. 74

BOOM
    Could've used this kind of roll a bit earlier.

Seriously tho, I'm happy that Irene is succeeding. Makes for a more interesting story.

@ TheSummoner: When you tell the tale, remember that Elsa is known as Beatrix Hildebrand.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-09 at 11:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa, that evening

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't worry, I remember. I think Sieghard has always remembered to use Elsa's pseudonym in front of Sforza's circle except for very early on - and that was intentional for IC reasons.

"I'd be happy to," Sieghard said, "I'll try to do the story justice,"

He briefly recounted how the Brotherhood had relieved the bridge. Though he mentioned how Valdes had killed the leader of the group assaulting the main bridge, his retelling focused mainly on how he had slain the standard bearer - And why not? It wasn't as though he had been able to pay much attention to Esteban's duel in the heat of battle. Elsa couldn't help but notice Sieghard neglected to mention that the orcs had reclaimed their banner almost as soon as it had fallen, nor had he thought it worth mentioning that it had been her magic that had eventually broke them.

"Then, on the other side of the river, I saw the biggest, ugliest orc in the Reaches," he continued. "Easily as big as one of the ogres, maybe even bigger. And the rest of the greenskins were swarming around him, chanting. The great brute swung down off his boar and made for the bridge like it thought it owned the place. And standing right in that monster's path is Herr Valdes. Bravest thing I ever saw." He glanced over to Valdes. "Completely mad, but brave all the same," he added grinning.

"Without even realizing it, I ended up at his side. Guess that makes me a little mad as well, but I wasn't about to watch him try to fight that beast alone. It seemed like nothing we could do even hurt it. Like the orc didn't even feel it when we cut him. Even when Fraulein Hildebrand hit him with enough fire to cook a lesser creature through, it just seemed to make the orc mad," he said, finally mentioning Elsa. "And with his furs still burning, the brute lifted his axe like it was getting ready to cut her in half. Took its eyes off me though, and I buried my sword deep in his leg before he could. And then," he continued, grinning and trying not to laugh, "Then, the orc's bloody boar comes charging at us!"

"And even after all that, even after Herr Valdes nearly took the orc's arm off and he lost his axe, the monster still kept fighting. Would've torn us apart with his bare hands if he could've." He hesitated for a moment, having remembered something that made him a bit uncomfortable. The orc had spoke. It spoke Reikspiel and called Valdes a "double-crossin' 'umie." He tried to play off his hesitation as a dramatic pause. "And when he tried," he said, making a quick, upwards stabbing motion with his knife and then flicking his wrist to imitate the attack that had killed the warboss, "I cut his head off."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard's reaction to the charm test is primarily playing up just how deadly the warboss was, and thus how great a feat killing him was. He doesn't ignore Elsa's or Valdes's contributions, but the focus is certainly far more on his own. He's not consciously trying to impress Lady Sforza specifically, just trying to be impressive in general. Subconsciously, though...
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-10 at 02:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Irene burst into spontaneous but dainty applause. Half the table - Barbaro chief among them - followed her lead.

"Bravo," she said, "bravo. You see, Esteban, I knew it was more exciting than you said." Valdes mumbled something modest and looked down at his plate.

Leaning further forward, Irene looked down the length of the table and called out to Elsa. "Signora Hildebrand! You must think yourself very lucky to have Muzio's men to save you from such dangers."

"A toast," exclaimed Barbaro, following her lead. "To our courageous soldiers."

The table echoed the toast. Turning her attention back to Sieghard, Irene cocked her head to one side, still only toying with her food.

"I've heard so much about you lately," she said, "and yet you know I still don't have the first idea where you come from." She laughed. "Will you tell us your family's name, at least?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another Charm test to get Sieghard to spill the beans about his family/backstory:
    (1d100)[92] vs. 74

[b]EDIT:[b] I reckon with that failure you can have Sieghard make an Int test to work out that Irene's trying to use him to needle Elsa if you like.
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-10 at 01:22 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "Smile, Herr Valdes," Sieghard said, grinning, "It's your story too. No man could've fought that monster alone. Had you not disarmed the orc first, there's no way I could've gotten close enough to take his head."

"I've heard so much about you lately, and yet you know I still don't have the first idea where you come from. Will you tell us your family's name, at least?"
    "There's really not all that much to tell," Sieghard muttered. "I was born in a small village to the west, but I haven't been there in many years." There wasn't much left. He wondered if the people had ever rebuilt. "I put that life behind me," he said, deciding that was vague and neutral enough an answer. "There's little a man can hope for living in a village his whole life, but strong sword arms will always be useful." The topic was making him uncomfortable. He couldn't help but realize just how much of an outsider he was among the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    The result doesn't effect Sieghard's response to the previous question, but sure... Let's see if he's able to figure out that something is up.

(1d100)[72] vs 36

Still clueless ^_^
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-10 at 02:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Signora Hildebrand! You must think yourself very lucky to have Muzio's men to save you from such dangers."
    Elsa gave Irene a flat stare, that she only belatedly remembered to soften into an expression of polite acknowledgement. "Without these two fine men by my side," she agreed, "I'd probably have run from the beast." She joined Barbaro in the toast, even putting on a strained smile.

"Will you tell us your family's name, at least?" Irene asked Sieghard.

Elsa fervently hoped Sieghard would not play in Irene's hands by trying to lie about, or apologize for, his humble origins. She was glad that he did not, although he did appear slightly uncomfortable.

"If I learned one thing about these harsh lands," Elsa commented philosophically after Sieghard's answer, "it's that a person's deeds carry them farther than their name." She said it in a tone of calculated neutrality, but hoped it would remind Irene of their first conversation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    There was a beat in which Irene said nothing, just returning Elsa's comment with a flat stare of her own. The corners of her mouth twitched up in a perfunctory smile. "But signora," she said, "people can hardly tell stories of your deeds if they don't know your name."

Her attention snapped back to Sieghard, and the mask was back on. "Come," she said, "your parents must have been named something?" She gave a mischievous laugh. "Or will you make us guess?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "Karsten and Anika," Sieghard replied, becoming more uncomfortable by the moment.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "No, their family name," laughed Irene. She gave Sieghard a bemused look. "Why so shy? Surely we aren't as frightening as that orc."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "It was a small village," Sieghard said, "Most people didn't need more than one name."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-10 at 04:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Irene raised her eyebrows. "How charming," she said.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you can pass a difficult (-20) Perception check you can hear
    Spoiler
    Show
    Muzio nudging her under the table.

She seemed content to leave it at that, at last making a start on her food - though she still seemed to eat lightly. Much to his relief, Sieghard ceased being the main topic of discussion. The conversation around the table moved on to the question of whether any of the greenskins might still be clinging on somewhere in the Thornwood - then to reminiscences of previous campaigns, and opinions on the fighting forces at the disposal of Alvarr and his allies. Though she still smiled every time she glanced Sieghard's way, Irene was looking increasingly bored with military matters.

As the servants cleaned away the plates - and refilled the diners' glasses once again - Irene seemed to have an idea. Clapping her hands together, she looked around the table with an excited air.

"It's so rarely we see you all together," she said. "We must have some entertainment before dessert." Leaning forwards to address Elsa again, she called down the table:

"Signora! Will you do a magic trick for us?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's free refills on the wine - you can both get as drunk as you please prior to this point.
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-10 at 04:49 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #19

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa flashed Sieghard a quick grin, though she was not sure if he saw it.

There, you said it, love. Keep your head high.

Just a year ago, when she still lived in Altdorf, she would have reacted with confusion or pity to a person with only one name. The Border Princes had changed her attitudes in so many ways.

"Signora! Will you do a magic trick for us?"
    "Cast a spell, you mean?" said Elsa, trying to hide her annoyance at Irene's wording. Do a magic trick. Really. Like bending the Aethyr is anything like pulling a rabbit out of a hat. "My lady. Using magic for show is like sparring with a sharpened blade. The Aethyr is a living force, a dangerous weapon. Where a swordsman can lose an eye, a wizard can lose their soul." She paused. Though her warning was truthful, she was not backing down from this. "I'll do it, just this once. Please understand, I will not be putting on regular shows." She threw a quick glance at Captain Sforza, making sure she had his assent for spellcasting.

Rising from her chair and taking a few steps back, she drew a gold crown from her purse and began flicking it between her fingers. "No worries, this isn't a coin trick," she said jokingly. She began to chant, and the Aethyr answered. Just as she was about to unleash the spell to crown her head in flames, she felt her control begin to slip.

OOC: Relevant rolls in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-10 at 05:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Irene looked deliberately bored during Elsa's speech about the dangers of magic, but perked up when Elsa rose from her chair. The table watched attentively.

As Elsa spoke the words of her incantation, the air above her shimmered as in a heat haze - then, with a sudden whoosh, the crown of flames burst into being a few inches above her head. Those nearest her leaned back from the sudden wash of heat.

The table began to politely applaud - but something was wrong. Stepping back, Elsa touched a hand to her lip - she could feel something warm and sticky running down her face. Removing it, she saw her fingers were covered with blood. It was her own blood, pouring from her nose and dripping from her chin...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #21

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Huh," said Elsa matter-of-factly as she looked at the blood all over her fingers. "Could be far worse."

She addressed Sforza, careful not to stain the tablecloth with her blood. "All apologies, Captain. These things happen; the Aethyr hates to be used for trivial purposes. May I be excused?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sforza seemed to take it better than some of the others, who reacted with alarm. Calmly, he said: "Of course."

As Elsa turned to leave, she heard the murmur of conversation resume behind her, through which Irene's voice seemed to cut like a knife:

"How embarrassing."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a Toughness test per round to stop the bleeding, but there's no risk of blood loss or anything so unless you want to stick around there's no need to roll dice - just assume it stops eventually.
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-10 at 05:57 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #23

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "How embarassing."
    Walking away, Elsa chuckled inwardly. Far worse things had been known to happen when spells went wrong. She had gotten off lightly, and impressed an audience in a way that Irene could never hope to match. Absent-mindedly extinguishing her crown of flames, she hurried to her quarters to clean up her face and make sure she had no blood on her clothes.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa is just taking a short break. She'll return in ten minutes, or as soon as she possibly can.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Hurrying outside with her hand cupped over her bleeding nose, Elsa went in search of her tent. Thankfully someone had already pitched it for her - such were the benefits of being one of the officer corps.

While she was gone, the servants re-emerged from the kitchen with a huge apple and pear tart. The smell wafting from it was mouth-watering, but Irene didn't seem interested.

"Do you know," she said, looking at the few drops of blood Elsa had left on the floor, "I've quite lost my appetite. I think I'll go to bed." Kissing her husband on the cheek, she pushed back her chair and rose from the table. "I will see you all tomorrow, I'm sure. And Sieghard - you will let me know how that poor woman is doing, won't you? Balthus was talking about doing something ghastly with a saw."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One last Charm test to leave Sieghard with a good impression of her: (1d100)[44]

I've nothing more to do with this scene. If there's anything you want to talk to the NPCs about, let me know; otherwise tell me when you're ready to wrap it up.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard paled slightly at "something ghastly with a saw," but nodded. "I will," he replied.

Sieghard (Alone)

Spoiler
    Show
    "Herr Al-Makir, a moment please," he said, following the paymaster into the village.

"There's something I've needed to speak with you about... a delicate matter," he said, his tone similar to how Al-Makir's had been when they spoke during the Mitterfruhl celebration. "There was an... incident, a few nights ago. My men had discovered a pack of ghouls trying to dig up the grave of one of the village women. And when a light was shone on them, the ghouls were none other than Sergeant Fischwillen and his men."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-10 at 06:49 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa returned a few minutes later, all cleaned up and acting every bit as casual as if she had merely answered a call of nature. She was delighted to see Irene gone, and appeared to be in a better mood for the rest of the evening. She even eased a bit on the wine, though she devoured an unreasonably large slice of pie. She returned to her quarters for the night with only minimal interaction with Sieghard, despite her wish to congratulate him on keeping his wits under Irene's influence. They were on thin ice, right now, with all the officers watching.

OOC: I think I'm done.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Al-Makir looked surprised to be accosted - but listened all the same.

"That's a serious matter," he said. He paused. "Why come to me with this? I thought Makeda had the command here."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Because you are the man most likely to listen to me, Sieghard thought. And also because despite his better judgement, he did like and even slightly trust the man.

"Makeda knows. She saw Fischwillen's men with the shovels they had stolen standing by the grave." He paused "And yet she does nothing."

"Now that Alvarr has attacked Ravenskird and Painford, the captain will have need of Fischwillen's halberdiers. Perhaps Makeda foresaw trouble with the duke. It is, as I said, a rather delicate matter. And yet..." Another pause. "And yet she saw fit to punish my men for stopping the grave robbers rather than the ghouls themselves."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well," said Abdul, sounding uncertain, "...Makeda must have her reasons. She surely has no reason to play favourites... the man is a goblin in a smart uniform."

With a sigh, he reached into the little velvet bag at his belt and produced a clove, which he began to chew. He continued a voice meant only for the two of them.

"If you want help, there is not much I can do for you. I can bring it to the Captain, but after this evening I doubt he will be in a listening mood." He gave Sieghard a look reminiscent of the one Bianco had given him earlier. "If I were you I would keep my head down for a little while, my friend."

"If you want my advice... don't let him provoke you. The Captain doesn't care who starts what, he cares about discipline. Fischwillen won't need your help to get caught if he keeps up these tricks." He gave Sieghard a clove-scented grin. "And if he doesn't... maybe the Duke will solve your problem for you, hey?"

Giving Sieghard a friendly pat on the arm, the short Arabyan headed off into the dark.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard wasn't sure he understood what Abdul had meant when he said the captain wasn't likely to be in a listening mood or why he should keep his head down, but he said nothing.

"Herr Al-Makir," he said, putting his hand on the man's shoulder to stop him leaving. "She has refused my men their pay. It was one thing for them to defend themselves against Rorik's men, but Alvarr is a different matter. I'll wait to see Fischwillen punished if I must, but I fear they will begin to abandon if nothing is done and they are ordered to march against the duke."

"The captain would not have this village if not for my men," he said, looking Al-Makir in the eye. "Nor would he have it if the villagers had discovered Fischwillen's ghouls digging up their dead."