New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VI

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Abdul hesitated, looking away and then back to Sieghard.

"My friend, I am not the Captain. I am just the quartermaster. You were put under Makeda's command." He made a helpless gesture. "If she says to stop your pay, your pay must be stopped. I cannot countermand her because you ask."

He paused, a cunning glint creeping into his eyes. "I could, perhaps, advance you a loan out of my own... personal funds. To tide your men over until their pay resumes." He raised his eyebrows at Sieghard. "But you understand, I would expect to be repaid in full."
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-11 at 12:11 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    It was Sieghard's turn to be hesitant. "I will keep your offer in mind," he said. Though he did like the man, Abdul Al-Makir was the last person Sieghard ever wanted to be indebted to.

"You have the captain's ear," he said after a pause. "You say now is not a good time, but if you could bring it to his attention when the time is better and Fischwillen pays for his crime, I would be grateful. After the ruins and the library, I have seen many things I wish I had not... I do not like to think about what reason Fischwillen may have had for digging up dead women." He knew exactly what the reason was, but it didn't hurt to put the suggestion of something more sinister in Al-Makir's mind.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "You think he is ghul?" said Abdul, disbelievingly. He looked twice in the direction of the halberdiers' camp. "He is a lowly creature, for certain... but maybe not that low."

He gave Sieghard a reassuring nod. "I will see what I can do," he said, as silkily polite as always. "When the time is right. Good night, my friend."

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    That night, the section of the camp around the Captain's tent listened awkwardly to the sounds of a furious but short-lived argument from inside the great pavilion. The sentries on guard stood ramrod-straight, doing their best to act as if they couldn't hear the barbed words flying between Sforza and his wife...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to eavesdrop, you can do so with a Perception test at +20 and a Speak Language (Tilean) test at -10.

Konigstag, 13th Erntzeit

Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Early on Konigstag morning, Ludo was sitting at the far end of the ruins from the Dragon, watching the coils of mist curl over the water as he tried to devise new ways to get off the island. Cold, gnat-bitten and hungry, his mood was not improved one bit by the way Stoutheart kept fetching sodden sticks from the water's edge and dropping them expectantly in his lap.

As Stoutheart returned for the fifth time, tail wagging like a metronome, Ludo saw a shape emerging out of the mist. As he watched, the grey blur resolved itself into a flat-bottomed boat, of the kind he had seen bringing the supplies into Ravenskird - crewed by two dirty-looking villagers, it carried the boatman Rudi in its bows, wrapped in a blanket and squinting into the fog. When he saw Ludo, he stood up and waved, shouting and calling until the rest of the Dragon's crew came running. They welcomed him back with open arms, all seeming rather more relieved to see him than Ludo would have expected from their gruff, grizzled demeanour.

"Duke's men have cleared out," said the damp scout, when they had finished embracing him and shaking him by the hand. "The Tilean sent half his army up to Ravenskird, chased 'em off. They're gone too - had to hurry back east, something about a fire." He paused, catching his breath. "Alvarr's bulldog burned the Sow and some of the others, but most of the rest of 'em got away alright. I found Petre and Radu here just lounging around in the docks." He gestured to the two rowers. "Coast's clear, boss."

Sandu looked pensive. "Clear for now," he said. "Any word on whether any of them are comin' back?"

Rudi looked uncertain. "They didn't leave a note, boss, if that's what you mean."

"Alright, enough of that." Sandu hesitated for a moment more, thinking deeply. "Right. We're going back." That drew noises of approval from the rest of the crew. "But we're leaving the Dragon here." The approving noises turned into moans and protests of disbelief.

"Stow it!" he snapped, rounding on the lot of them. "Just because the soldiers have cleared out don't mean the river's clear, nor that they won't come back. You seen any sign of Bardolph and his men?" he asked, turning to the two ferrymen. They shook their heads in silence. "Right. So the Dragon stays here. 'Til we know it's safe."

"We won't all fit in their boat, boss," piped up one helpful boatman.

"You can take turns, then," said Sandu, curtly. "First lot to get to Ravenskird sends back more boats." Silencing the resultant chorus of whingeing with a look, he waited for a moment before continuing. "Right. Two of you go back with Rudi. Draw straws, I don't care. The rest of you, come help me get the Dragon under some proper cover." His voice dropped to a low mutter. "Azriller knows how long she's going to be stuck here."

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Waking cold and stiff from a night spent pretty much sleeping out in the open, Adelbert stretched his aching limbs and stumbled down to the camp. In the dawn light, he could see no sign of Rahim or his horse.

"No luck with the horses, eh?" said Ehrman when he saw him. "Pity. We almost got hold of one for free." He poked the paltry campfire in front of him with a stick. "One of the Tilean's men, came ridin' through camp without a care in the world. Said he had a message for Alvarr."

As the flames stirred, he took a swig from the metal flask at his hip. "Had to let him go in the end. Gave him enough hassle that he didn't see the dig. Hope so, anyway." He looked across the river to where the clink, clink of pickaxes was rising into the still morning air - as far as Adelbert could tell, it never stopped. "We'll have to keep a weather eye out for him on the way back, that's for sure."

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    The next morning started earlier than usual, with sounds of alarm from beyond the north palisade. Makeda and her ahosi, who had had the watch, returned through the open gates dragging a dishevelled-looking man between them. Bushy-bearded and wearing a slashed black jerkin, he had clearly been armed when they caught him - one of the Southlanders walking behind him was carrying a fine steel sword, dagger and buckler that looked to have been his.

<We caught this one spying,> said Makeda, throwing him down before the Captain. <There was another with him. That one got away.>

Listening carefully, Sforza nodded. He sized up the man, then spoke in Reikspiel:

"You know who I am?"

The man nodded.

"And who are you?"

"My name's - my name's Ulich."

"And where are you from?"

"Arrow Heap."

Sforza winced. "You know you are a poor liar, Ulich." He motioned to Makeda. <Take him away. Find out why he was here, and what he saw.>

As the poor man was dragged away, he looked across to Elsa. <He sounds like you,> he commented, idly. <What do you call this accent? Reikland?>

<One of Groz's men,> said Bianco, materialising like a ghost out of the shadows. He had Marko with him, and was carrying his surgeon's bag, full of gruesome-looking implements. <Undoubtedly.>

<We will see,> said Sforza, watching the ahosi drag their captive into the fire-scarred barn by the stream. <We will see.>

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The army's mostly going to sit about today waiting for a reply to Sforza's message, but Sforza is keen to see the fortifications repaired and finished - if Sieghard wants to get to work while Makeda is otherwise occupied, he can count on Al-Makir to secure him some extra manpower.
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-05-03 at 11:11 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "I cannot say for certain what he is or what his reasons are. Only that it's nothing good." told Al-Makir before heading to his own tent.

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo - 13th Erntzeit

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard almost felt sorry for the man as he watched him being dragged away. "If he was smarter, he would've gotten himself killed trying to fight the ahosi," he muttered to Viggo.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard considers the damage to the wall his responsibility, so he and his men will get to work repairing it... By cutting down trees north of the village... as far away from the inevitable sounds of Sforza's captive being tortured as possible. He'll gladly take Al-Makir up on his offer to secure more manpower. With additional men and an expected three days before anything else happens, they should hopefully be able to repair the damage from the fire and maybe even make some further progress on the west wall.

If you want to eavesdrop, you can do so with a Perception test at +20 and a Speak Language (Tilean) test at -10.
    Sentinel, please reroll these if you have to. It'd be the last roll of the night, so there's nothing lost by doing it.

I really need to take Speak Language (Tilean) at some point. I've wanted to (and have the experience set aside for it), but I've been waiting for a good IC opportunity... Sieghard wants Elsa to teach him.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-11 at 01:24 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa could not help but smirk at the sound of the shouting match between Sforza and his wife. This, right there, is why I'll never marry, she thought.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard wants Elsa to teach him.
    Sure thing! But Sieghard will have to ask.

Perception 55+20=75: (d100)[60]
    SL (Tilean) 55-10=45: (d100)[4] - So glad these rolls weren't reversed.

Fortune: (d100)[80]

Elsa, Sieghard and Viggo - 13th Erntzeit

Spoiler
    Show
    <"Yes, Captain, it does sound like a Reikland accent. Definitely not upper class."> Elsa winced at the sight of Bianco's instruments. She was usually comfortable with violence, but torture made her queasy. <"He must've been sent by the enemy before they got your request for negotiations, Captain,"> she said cautiously. <"We can tell him about the peace talks; let him know he doesn't have to die in vain if a truce is possible. Give him something to lose, in other words. If he spills without torture, we can hand him back to Groz as a gesture of goodwill.">
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-11 at 09:35 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert stretched aching limbs. He was not built for the outdoor life.

"I saw him last night but I couldn't afford to let him see me. I'm the Duke's spy in the south and they can't know I'm here. That is Rahim, Abdul's man. I don't know what the message was but I doubt it will does much good. We should be prepared to pull out if we have to and collapse the tunnel behind us."

He glanced up the road. "When he comes back could you find somewhere you and he can talk where I can overhear without being seen? I have good ears, and I want to hear what is going on."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

13th Erntzeit

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

"If he was smarter, he would've gotten himself killed trying to fight the ahosi,"
    Viggo watched the prisoner being dragged away, his face stern, nodding in agreement with Sieghards' assessment. "It will not go well for that man, one thing I'm sure of, he's not from Arrow Heap. There were no folk talking like that, up there I'd remember hearing somebody who sounded like one of the country bumpkins who live out in the sticks back in the Motherland."

He turned to Sieghard his brows beetled somewhat, "By the way, your... problem... that you were telling me about yesterday evening? It occurs to me that this is exactly the same order and reason you gave me to stay away from Hannah? And all along you were disobeying exactly the same command?" Viggo's voice was pitched low so only his friend would here, he didn't sound angry but slightly confused and wary. "How does that work?!" His hands were placed on his hips as he awaited Sieghards' explanation.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard immediately opened his mouth to respond, but he had nothing.

"It's different because she doesn't take orders from me," he responded after a moment. "And because I wasn't working for Sforza when it started. Doesn't mean I won't do the same to you as Sforza would do to me if you try anything. Understand?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-11 at 01:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa (night of the 12th)

Spoiler
    Show
    Lingering just close enough to hear but just far enough away not to be conspicuous in her eavesdropping, Elsa did her best to listen in on the rapid-fire Tilean coming from the Captain's tent.

<...humiliate me in front of the men. You make a fool of me, and you make a fool out of yourself!>
    <The only one making a fool of themselves is you, Muzio! Dragging that filthy witch girl around as if she was an officer!> There was the thump of something being knocked over. <I play the gracious hostess as you ask, and this is how you thank me?>
    <You think I'm blind, Irene? You think I don't see you making eyes at that oaf with his crossbows?> There was a pause. <Of all the times you choose to bait me, why now? When we are so close?>
    <Well maybe if you hadn't wasted so much time, I wouldn't be so BORED!> There was the crash of something breaking. <Bored of trailing after your stupid army! Bored of sitting in your dirty forts, ruling over some pigsty village in the middle of nowhere!>

There was a long, cutting silence.

<Or maybe I'm just bored of you.>

Elsa heard no reply - merely saw the dark shape of the Captain storm out of his tent, and stomp off towards the north wall.

Konigstag

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Ehrman shrugged. "Don't see why not," he said. He gestured around them at Jager's camp. "Any one of these tents ought to do."

Elsa, Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    <Five of our people are dead, Signora Hildebrand,> said Sforza, coldly. <I don't want their good will. I want to see them grovel.>

Picking up his bag, Bianco walked off - not in the direction of the shed, but instead towards Marta's cottage. To Sieghard the sight was scarcely more reassuring - he remembered what Irene had said about "something ghastly with a saw."

With the whole of the army present, he found it easy to throw himself into the repair works on the walls. With Abdul taking an interest, a sizeable portion of the Iron Company were drafted into helping, along with Fischwillen's men and the ogres. Gorg and his monstrous troop made short work of taking down the burnt section of wall, dragging away the charred timbers and stacking them in an untidy heap at the forest's edge.

Meanwhile, inside the walls, a small crowd had gathered around Marta's door. Claiming he needed more light, Bianco had brought his patient out into the open air - there, as Marko strapped her lolling figure securely into a rickety chair, Bianco laid out his tools on a folding table. Seeing his mother in such a state, the boy Dierk began to snivel and weep.

"There there," said Irene, appearing beside Ottilda and taking charge of the child. Ottilda looked almost as surprised as Dierk. "Don't cry, little one. Don't you know, Balthus is the best physician in all Tobaro?" She patted him on the head. "If anyone can cure your mother, he will."

Still grizzling, the boy buried his mucus-streaked face in Irene's dress. Elsa enjoyed watching her expression of motherly care turn to one of barely-suppressed chagrin. <Giuseppe,> she called to one of her servants, gently prising the little boy loose. <Take this child and find him some food. This is not something for little children to see.>

That much was certainly true. Cutting away Marta's hair over the swollen welt on the side of her head, Bianco made an incision and peeled back. Then, picking up a brass trephine, he began to saw a little circular hole into the bone of her skull.

"Cor," said one of the villagers, leaning in for a closer look. "Are those her brains?"

"No," said Bianco, absent-mindedly. Setting down the bloody instrument, he leaned over his patient with a pair of tiny tweezers, fishing out the fragments of bone that were left. Stepping back, he reached for another tool. "Those are her brains."

The onlookers oooohed like the audience at a mystery play.

After some time, Bianco was finished. He had nailed a little metal patch over the hole he had made, and sewed the skin back over it. If he'd never been to the Lost Library, it would have been one of the strangest things Viggo had ever seen - as it was, it didn't even make the top ten.

As Marko was unstrapping her, Marta blinked, and slowly licked her lips. "Look!" shouted someone in the crowd. "She moved!"

"Give her space, please," said Bianco, in a commanding voice. "She needs rest and quiet." Between them, he and Marko gently lifted her out of her chair, and helped her back into the darkened cottage.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, Sieghard and Viggo - Morning

Spoiler
    Show
    "Watch your step around Sforza and his wife," Elsa quietly advised Sieghard that morning, near the wall that was being rebuilt. "I overheard them yelling last night. Part of it was about me... and part of it was about you. And part of it was about each other. Just do your job and don't get involved in those two's personal matters." She rolled her eyes. "Tileans."

She was among the crowd who watched the trepanation with some interest. She had no idea if it would save the poor woman, but was nonetheless impressed with Bianco's self-assurance, and the mere fact that he could drill a hole in a person's skull without killing them.

<"Could be I'm not the only wizard in this army, doctor,"> she commented, which was about the highest praise she could bestow upon someone.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-11 at 07:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard gave Elsa a quizzical look.

"I haven't gotten involved in anything personal," he told her.

"... What did they say?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, Sieghard and Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa hesitated, weighing her friendship with Sieghard against her duty to her employer. Sforza would not like her to gossip about him.

Well, lots of people heard him anyway, so...

"Lady Irene isn't happy that Sforza keeps me around. Sforza isn't happy about the way his wife looks at 'that oaf with his crossbows'. His words. He thinks she's humiliating him in front of his men; she's tired of her husband dragging her on campaigns in the middle of nowhere."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "Sforza isn't happy about the way his wife looks at 'that oaf with his crossbows'."
    Sieghard had to restrain himself from laughing.

"She was just being polite," he said with a smirk, "Surely the captain isn't worried about that."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, Sieghard and Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    "I think she's just playing games at her husband's expense," said Elsa, frowning at Sieghard's flippancy, "and he knows it. Still, you'd better tread lightly. No offense, but Sforza can replace you more easily than he can replace me."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo raised an eyebrow at the suggestion to draw straws. Catching Rudi's eye he gave the boat a significant look and tapped his coinpurse meaningfully.

16. - Top - End - #46

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

"It's different because she doesn't take orders from me," he responded after a moment. "And because I wasn't working for Sforza when it started. Doesn't mean I won't do the same to you as Sforza would do to me if you try anything. Understand?"
    Viggo seemed to roll that response around in his head, obviously mulling it over before jabbing a finger at Sieghard, "Yes. I understand perfectly. Don't you worry about me Sieghard, I follow my orders." With that he turned to leave but he quickly spun around on his heel to face Sieghard once more, this time his finger waved as well as jabbed. "You... you... are a right old git. Has anybody ever told you that?" Even though Viggo was clearly irked, the ghost of a smile had played upon his lips as he left and Sieghard felt sure that he had caught a glimpse of a mischievous glint in the boys eyes, one that had been absent since Kirsten's demise.

As Sieghard, Elsa and Viggo watched the ogres go about their work, the young lad couldn't help but laugh out aloud as Elsa recounted the details of the Sforzas' argument, it didn't even sound forced this time. "Such a gallant oaf though eh R.. Sieghard?!" He chuckled, rolling one of his eyes and elbowing his commander in the arm. "What else did you speak about at this Lords' dinner of yours then? It can't all have been flirting with the Capitano's wife surely?!"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    "War," Sieghard replied, doing his best to ignore Viggo's jokes. "Alvarr had two more days to explain himself for attacking Ravenskird and Painford. If he doesn't to the captain's liking, we march."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-12 at 11:47 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

That brought the young minstrel up short, his expression immediately turning somber. "To Savonne?" he asked. A few days ago the prospect might have excited him, Not now, I've seen what happens, innocent folk die.

Pushing back his red cap he scraped some stray blonde locks back from his face, "Did you manage to ask him about the militia? If we all march off to war, who will keep an eye on the walls?" Another thought occurred to him, "And now we're three men down too. If it's fine with you Sieghard, I'll try to see if I can find any more recruits out of the locals? I've not had much luck in Painford so far, but then, you don't get if you don't ask as my Uncle Rolf use to say."

OOC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

In case you need a plan for the rest of the day from me, Viggo (if sieghard agrees) will try to find three new recruits or as many as he can from the locals. Here's hoping that now they've seen Sforza and his court in person and they've seen his men build and defend the walls they might feel a little more inclined to join up?!

Charm Test:
    FEL 48 - (1d100)[6]
    Re-Roll - (1d100)[12]
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2016-02-12 at 12:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Viggo & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Whether it was Viggo's natural charm, Irene's condescension of the previous day, the sight of the army, or a combination of all three, Viggo was quite successful in his recruiting efforts. Four young recruits, only one of them older than Florin, signed up to join the Thorns. It was only after they had signed on that they learned about the company's stopped pay – and by then, surrounded by hundreds of Sforza's soldiers, it was definitely too late for them to change their minds.

Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Rudi took a few moments to figure out what Ludo was implying, but seemed to catch on with some enthusiasm. “Actually, I'll stay and help, boss,” he said to Sandu. “We should send the passengers back first, you know?”

Sandu shrugged. “No skin off my nose,” he said. “You do as you please.”

With a discreet exchange of coin, Ludo made his way onto the waiting boat. Once he, the guide and one of the boatmen were aboard, they pushed off, leaving the ruins behind as they rowed their way out of the clinging mist.

~

It was mid-afternoon when they arrived back in Ravenskird. The swamp town looked surprisingly unchanged. Most of the buildings were untouched – the only radical alterations were the docks, slightly scorched and now empty of all but the smallest of boats, as opposed to the floating cobweb of craft that had been moored there before. The charred wreck of the Sow poked above the waterline, its blackened masts leaning like dead trees.

Asking around town, he heard no word of Adelbert, good or bad: most of the Ravenskirders were too focused on their own troubles to remember him, if they'd ever noticed him in the first place. Gathering up his things, Ludo said goodbye to Brother Cesar and headed east, towards Painford.

It was some time around midnight, when Ludo had made a small campfire a little way off the road, that he saw a horseman gallop past at some speed. Squinting into the shadows after the receding figure, he thought he recognised him – it was Abdul's man, Rahim. Wherever he was going, he looked to be in a hurry.

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    The day passed without much to remark on. Ehrman seemed to be growing concerned about how long the scouts they had sent to Painford were taking, but their absence was not yet long enough to be certain anything was wrong. In the meantime, the dwarfs continued their steady work. By now they had carved a considerable tunnel into the solid rock; Adelbert wondered how much further they had to go.

It was shortly after nightfall when Rahim came galloping back along the river road, his exhausted horse looking on the point of collapse. Ehrman's men stopped him at the edge of the camp, well away from where he might get a glimpse of the excavation. Creeping into a nearby tent, Adelbert did his best to listen in.

He learned little of value. Rahim had received the Duke's reply, and was riding back to his masters to convey it. He seemed aggrieved that Ehrman and his men didn't have a change of horse they could give him; Ehrman didn't seem too cut up about it. After a short exchange of words, they sent him on his way.

Angestag, 14th Erntzeit

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Some time after midnight on Konigstag, Sforza's messenger came riding back into camp. It was Abdul's man Rahim they had sent; now he hurried for the Captain's tent, leaving behind a horse sticky with sweat and staggering with exhaustion.

Reading the message Rahim had carried in a circle of hastily woken officers, Sforza gave a measured nod. <Alvarr wants to talk,> he said. <He names Ravenskird as the meeting place.>

<That's a long way from his siege lines,> said Carraciolo, sounding curious about the choice.

<He wants to keep us at arm's length,> said Sforza. <If it's to be war, he doesn't want us already in position to attack.> Rolling up the parchment on which the message had been written, he tucked it away. <Let's keep him on his toes. Have the army ready to march in the morning.>

<He has men already waiting,> said Rahim, in strongly-accented Tilean. <Perhaps a hundred. I saw them camped north of the village, by the river.>

<Alvarr is with them?>

<Not that I saw.>

<They must be the men who burned the boats,> said Carraciolo, looking to Makeda. <Seems you didn't drive them off as far as you thought.>

<This changes nothing,> said Sforza, decisively. <You have your orders. Make ready.>

Ludo, Elsa, Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo had been enjoying the sunny autumn day on the road when, some time after noon, he heard the sound of marching feet coming towards him. Squinting at the road ahead, he saw a cloud of dust rising from the direction of the Thornwood. Locating the nearest tree, he climbed up for a better look.

As the cloud of dust came closer, he saw its source – Sforza's army was on the march. The massed pikes of the Iron Company led the way, Sforza's black-and-gold banner flying at the head of the column. Behind them came the other regiments and the rumbling wagon train; the huge forms of Gorg and his ogres loomed above the smaller soldiers like grown men among children, eating up the road with easy strides.

Waiting and watching the soldiers march past, Ludo caught sight of Elsa riding with Sforza and his officers – and in the back, Sieghard and Viggo, marching at the head of the Thorns. They were all headed for Ravenskird.

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Late on Angestag afternoon, a band of horsemen were seen approaching from the north Walking up to the road to see who it was, Adelbert recognised the boar's-head banner of the Duke flying from the lead rider's lance.

Alvarr had come with a bodyguard of around a dozen men, mounted, armed and armoured as for war. Behind them rode a larger group, perhaps twenty, riding on shaggy hill ponies that seemed quite absurd next to the Duke's tall warhorse. Still, they seemed to have kept up. Among them, Adelbert recognised the distinctive faces of Hakon and Kelda – but could see no sign of the Jarl.

“Your Grace,” said Jager, approaching to greet his master with a stiff bow. “What's this about, sire? We've had men coming and going...”

“Sforza,” said Alvarr, swinging himself down from the saddle. For a moment that seemed as if it would be all the explanation he would give. “He's demanded a parley. We meet him at Ravenskird.”

“What for?”

“To explain why these fools set fire to his outpost at Painford.” snapped the Duke, with an angry glance back towards Hakon and the others. The big Norscan didn't look sorry. “Without orders and without leave.”

Shoving the reins of his horse into the hands of one of the waiting soldiers, Alvarr stalked into the camp. “We meet him tomorrow. Tonight we rest here. How are the dwarfs progressing with their digging?”

“You'd have to ask them, your Grace. They're a tight-lipped bunch of tunnel monkeys.”

“Then bring them to me.” Alvarr's tone brooked no argument. “I want the tunnel breached and I want it done now.”

Watching the two of them stride away, Adelbert heard Kelda's voice behind him. “Hey!” she said. “Empire man! I thought it was you.” She thumped him on the shoulder in greeting, and Adelbert tried to act like it didn't hurt. “You were right about the Tilean. He's building a fortress down there!” She gave a wolfish grin, and lowered her voice to a conspiratorial whisper. “Rebuilding it now. It's a good thing you told us,” she said, looking from left to right to make sure they were not being overheard. “These spineless greybeards would have sat on their arses until he was knocking at our door.”

She whistled, and one of the hill-men with her rode up on his pony, leading another horse by the reins. Adelbert saw it was Bella.

“Your friend Ducos sent this. Said maybe don't leave her standing around next time. Or she might end up in a stewpot, jah?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-12 at 01:15 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

The Fab Four
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo had been doubtful about what to do as the column marched past - but seeing the Thorns made his mind up for him. No matter what else, he wanted to see his friends again. He waited until the Thorns were nearby, then scrambled down to the tree and jogged to join Sieghard and Viggo at the head.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Elsa & Viggo - 13th

Spoiler
    Show
    To Viggo's surprise, Sieghard didn't answer immediately.

"We can only afford to pay so many men, and there's only so many crossbows..." he muttered. It wasn't until later that day Viggo would learn why money was such a concern. "Fine," he said after a pause, "But no women this time unless you can be sure they haven't been sharing their beds with the soldiers."

"You'll get your pay," Sieghard assured the crossbowmen - both the new recruits and those who had already been under his command. "Is it the captain's southlander who pays you, or is it me?"

Everyone but Adelbert - 14th

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard glared at Ludo as he approached. "Where have you been?" he demanded, scowling. It certainly wasn't the warm welcome Ludo may have expected.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-12 at 04:20 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Painford

Spoiler
    Show
    The news of the march to Ravenskird elated Elsa. She suspected that the planned negotiation was little more than a formality; a sham, even. War would inevitably come, even if Sforza had to make excuses for it. The pyromancer relished the opportunity to make up for her recent failures involving Fassbender and the book of necromancy.

Not Adelbert (ah, old times)

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa missed Ludo in his tree, but he did not miss her. The Captain's wizard rode on Bastard with more ease than before, as if slowly but surely winning the battle of wills that opposed her to the fierce stallion. She wore her thick leather coat and gloves, and had her wild red hair in a loose ponytail. She was chatting with Carraciolo and Valdes, obviously in high spirits despite the storm that loomed over the Broken Reaches.

She was on her way back to her natural element, after weeks of idleness.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The response to Sieghard's question was less affirmative and more confused than he would have hoped, with a lot of confused mumbling from the men.

"I thought it was the Captain."
    "I thought it was the paymaster."
    "We're getting paid?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard sighed. Perhaps he shouldn't have expected them to understand a rhetorical question.

"Just keep doing what I say and you'll get your pay," he said. "That's all you need to worry about."

25. - Top - End - #55

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert looked alarmed at talk of a parley, and even more alarmed at news that the Jarl had gone rogue. Still it was hard not to respond to Kelda's grin with one of his own, especially as she brought Bella. Gods, how has it happened that seeing this barbarian is the highlight of my day. That I relieved to see she's safe?'

"Norsacan woman," he replied, trying to massage life back into his shoulder. "I am glad to see you. You really struck Painford? That must have taken guts." And no brains. I'd be angry if I were Alvarr. I hope Sieghard and Viggo had the sense to stay behind that wall.'

He looked thoughtful for a moment, Kelda's mention of the stewpot making him realise he hadn't eaten yet. "Kelda, I'm betting you're a pretty good hunter right? Let's try and find something to eat while our chiefs talk."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "Norscan woman," he replied, trying to massage life back into his shoulder. "I am glad to see you. You really struck Painford? That must have taken guts."
    "Yah," said Kelda. "Set fire to the walls. The Jarl didn't like it, but like you said, what else are we supposed to do?" She shot a glance after the departing duke. "We spend all our days sitting outside those walls, while this Tilean is getting ready to put a dagger in our backs."

He looked thoughtful for a moment, Kelda's mention of the stewpot making him realise he hadn't eaten yet. "Kelda, I'm betting you're a pretty good hunter right? Let's try and find something to eat while our chiefs talk."
    "Sure," said Kelda, with a shrug. Looking over her shoulder towards the hill-men who had come with her, she called out: "Dragos! Costel! Let's go find some food!"

The two grubby-faced men looked to Hakon, who gave them a nod of approval. Breaking off from the main group, they followed Kelda and Adelbert away from the camp.

Looking back over his shoulder, Adelbert saw that Hakon was watching them go. The red-haired Norscan had clearly seen his share of the fighting - his face and hair still grubby with soot, his thigh was wrapped in a bloody bandage. He couldn't help but wonder how much of a price the Norscans had exacted on Painford's defenders in return.

~

Returning that afternoon with a deer and a brace of rabbits, Adelbert and Kelda rode back into camp to the cheers and calls of Jager's men, who had mostly been subsisting on salt beef, black bread and porridge. Though Adelbert had never been a hunter, according to Kelda the hunting had been remarkably easy - with many of the locals having abandoned their farms, the wilderness was slowly reclaiming the land.

As the hill-men began to skin and gut their catches, Adelbert saw Jager motion for him to follow. Following after the man's curt gesture, Adelbert ducked into a darkened tent, and found himself face-to-face with Jager, Ehrman and the Duke.

"Good," said Alvarr. "You're here."

"To business, then: tomorrow I will ride south to speak with Sforza. He may be looking for a pretext for war, but I have no intention to give him one."

"The dwarfs are almost through. From what we learned from the smuggler and his men, the only people inside the city who know of the tunnel are his criminal associates. They used it to move illicit goods before the siege, and will have had no great incentive to reveal it to the elf." He paused. "A small group of men could overpower the smugglers and open the city gates from the inside."

"I'll do it," said Jager, without prompting. Alvarr shook his head.

"Hakon and his band will do it," he said, holding up a hand to forestall Jager's objection. "They brought this crisis on us by burning Sforza's precious village; they can be the ones to risk their lives to make things right. As soon as the tunnel is breached, I want them down there. If the dwarfs object, force them. And if Sforza cannot be deterred, I need you to hold this position for as long as it takes for the Norscans to be on their way. Savonne falls now." He looked around their faces, making sure they understood. "No more waiting."

Jager and Ehrman nodded. Jager's eyes were alight with the prospect of finally breaching the city.

"Schreiber," said the Duke, turning to Adelbert. "I need eyes and ears in Sforza's camp. "Are you ready to resume your duties?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the answer is yes, then if you can give me a plan for how to sneak back in among Sforza's people when you get there I can advance things a fair way.
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-13 at 02:18 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #57

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert had secretly been a little disappointed Dragos and Costel were coming, but he enjoyed himself regardless. If nothing else the sheer sense of life in being out and about in the fresh air with others rather than watching a troop of sullen dwarfs hack at the ground was refreshing. He couldn't claim any of the kills taken but for the first time in many days he was happy.

Then, to business. He listened carefully to Alvarr, then nodded slowly.

"I will do it Your Grace. I am not popular with the Tilean but I have never given him a reason to suspect I was in league with another prince." He smiled sadly. "If anything he probably expects I'm too stubborn to serve anyone. Still, I won't give him a reason to suspect now. If I turn up unscathed in Ravenskird or Painford people will be suspicious... unless I can prove I'm not your ally your Grace. An injury might work, so long as it looks something other than self inflicted..."

He glanced out the tent for a moment, before turning back and lowering his voice. "The Norscans. They are reckless and violent and they have attacked Ravenskird and Painford. If I turn up with a fresh wound from one of their weapons and a story about how I only just escaped them when they raided south well I doubt anyone will think I'm loyal to you."
    Last edited by RossN; 2016-02-13 at 03:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Alvarr considered the idea.

"If you confirm to Sforza that the Norscans were responsible for the raid," he said at last, "he will demand the most severe punishment. If they were my own men I would happily give them up for what they have done, but the Red-Mane is still Rorik's most trusted man. I cannot hand them over."

"Tell Sforza what you like, but do not let him think we planned the attack on Painford." He looked across to Jager. "Sforza knows by now that my men were at Ravenskird. Perhaps Commander Jager is a better fit."

Jager cracked his knuckles. "It'd be my pleasure," he said, with rather more relish than Adelbert wanted to hear.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #59

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert suppressed a shudder. "Your Grace, if any Norscans fell at Painford I've no doubt the Tilean knows who attacked him. He has experienced soldiers there. They'd know who they were fighting. Or did Hakon say all of his band made it back?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo etc
    Spoiler
    Show

Ludo nearly stopped in his tracks, surprised by Sieghard's abruptness. "I was in Ravenskird, and then... what's wrong?"