1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Would this be spam?

I'm trying to sell some stuff (I won't say what yet). I just want to know if I can ask around for good prices. NOT ADVERTISING I'M SELLING STUFF. I'm just wondering what is a good price range for the stuff I'm trying to sell. It is geek related so it's kind of similar to these forums (all the D&D, magic the gathering, play-by-post, gaming threads). That, and I'm selling them on Craiglist, and I'm not paying for shipping so only local buyers.

Just wondering. Don't want to break any rules.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Would this be spam?

So just to be clear, you aren't actually advertising or selling a product yet, youre just collecting information on what people might be willing to pay should such a hypothetical sale ever occur?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    So just to be clear, you aren't actually advertising or selling a product yet, youre just collecting information on what people might be willing to pay should such a hypothetical sale ever occur?
    Well I do plan to eventually sell it, but yeah. Everything else is pretty dead on.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Well I do plan to eventually sell it, but yeah. Everything else is pretty dead on.
    You cannot sell products on GITP. You can give away products, and you can advertise your own webcomic or novels IF at least one of them is free, but you cannot make a thread stating "I have X for sale, what is a good price and if I like that price do you want to buy it".
    Avatar is Chaos Devil Dragon from Puzzle & Dragons!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    You cannot sell products on GITP. You can give away products, and you can advertise your own webcomic or novels IF at least one of them is free, but you cannot make a thread stating "I have X for sale, what is a good price and if I like that price do you want to buy it".
    I think the question is if a thread stating only "I want to put X for sale, what is a good price" would be a violation. That is, without telling people where and when to go to buy it.

My five cents is that it wouldn't quite qualify as advertising (sure, someone might contact him to get info about where to buy and when, but in that case it's more a negotiation by PM sparked by a post about pricing than actual advertising), but he's better off PMing a mod.
    Last edited by Dellis; 2016-02-11 at 11:21 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Having started a similar thread and not got it shut down by a mod, including one who IIRC posted in it, I would assume it's fine, but you should probably wait for a mod anyway to check.
    Avatar by Pessimismrocks. My homebrew.
    So you Want to be a Warlord... If I wanted you to use gendered pronouns for me, I'd have a gender marker.
    Spoiler: QUOTES!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    You know, it would be really meta if I sigged this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grooke View Post
    Peasants! Gather around me and fight each other so I can teleport!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbragg View Post
    I say that Chuck Norris memes are the best model for how to think of high-level mundane characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    In total, it'll run you $4282 for the ability to Persist your ice storm.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: It's probably not advertising, if it's limited to inquiring the value of an item without any offering it for sale (implicitly or explicitly). But as the OP asks in the thread title, is it spam? Possibly. A single inquiry probably not. But, well, don't get spammy with it. Don't post a bunch of such threads. Don't cross-post it (here or elsewhere). Don't bump it or shill it to try to drum up responses. You, know, spammy stuff.
    Fedoruman Roland by Chris the Pontifex

Forum Rules