New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing X: Bard is not a valid choice

*I'm no longer allowed to buy tarrasque saddles or tarrasque-mounted ballistae.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing X: Bard is not a valid choice

Quote Originally Posted by clothaire View Post
    *I'm no longer allowed to buy tarrasque saddles or tarrasque-mounted ballistae.
    **Tarrasque bait and Tarrasque chow are right out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

* I must have more superpowers than 'the ability to teleport to wherever Jack Black chooses'.

* Cannot offer a PC the power to shapeshift, but everybody knows who they are. Of course they want credit when they turn into a giant lizard and destroy the city.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

* My next PC cannot be the tumbleweed from the special ability of a certain cowboy from a certain recent FPS.
    ** Wait, what is your backstory again?

* Must not create a race of sentient corsets.
    ** It cannot have male and female individuals.
    *** It also cannot have discriminated bisexual and/or intersex individuals.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    You'd need to have a tight background to make it work.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

** It cannot have male and female individuals.
    *** It also cannot have discriminated bisexual and/or intersex individuals.
    **** The Playground is collectively banned from mad science.

* The GM gets first dibs on any rare Pokémon that appear on the gaming table.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    You'd need to have a tight background to make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    **** The Playground is collectively banned from mad science.
    ***** Must not bemoan the lack of 'Like' buttons on GitP.

* The GM gets first dibs on any rare Pokémon that appear on the gaming table.
    ** "First dibs" does not mean "Pokémon gets added to the GM's campaign for the PCs to interact with".
    *** "Interact with", not "fight" or "capture" or "kill".

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Language lessons:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    *B't'm'f'tb,
    is not the Elvish translation of "Springtime Stargazer".
    **G't'b'nt'y'u'bearded'fatso,
    is not an Elvish translation of "Summer Rainshower".
    **************** Summer Rainshower is not the name of an MLP pegasus.
    **** So'is'y'r'mom'a is not an Elvish name meaning "Soft Autumn Breeze"
    *****You did not use Tolkien's Quenya language!
    ********It's not Sindarin either!
    Your elvish spelling is horrible,
    *********Cannot write elven ('lv'n) as English, but with an apostrophe replacing every vowel.
    *********** Gnomish is gnot Egnglish with agn extra g ign frognt of every gn.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    *Dwarves are not all named on the pattern of "Urist McHammerdorf" or "Urist McMinerdorf."
    **Dwarves can have given-names other than "Urist."
    ***The dwarven word for "drawbridge" does not share the same root as the dwarven word for "obliterate."
    ****The dwarven word for "giant sponge" does not translate literally as "Sudden fury at the water's edge."
    *****The dwarven word for "hireling" does not translate literally to "one who wears a scarlet tunic."
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

From my first Tunnels and Trolls game yesterday:
    * Cannot name my dwarf rogue 'Urist McHammerson'.
    ** Especially when it's the other dwarf in the party who wields the hammer, I'm a spear dude.
    * Cannot abuse the fact neither of the casters have more than 4 Strength to take all the gold.
    * 'Gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold' is not the second most common dwarven adventuring song.
    ** The most common is not 'don't kill them all before I get there!'.

Show

10. - Top - End - #730
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

* The next time my wizard is grappled by a clay golem, I am not allowed to grind play to a halt for ten minutes with a rules debate about whether my gloves of shaping can let me grapple it into another form.
    ** Can't make my floating disk a pottery wheel.
    *** That is NOT what the phrase "saving throw" means.
    **** Cannot turn it into a coffee cup and say it got mugged.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reltzik View Post
    * The next time my wizard is grappled by a clay golem, I am not allowed to grind play to a halt for ten minutes with a rules debate about whether my gloves of shaping can let me grapple it into another form.
    ** Can't make my floating disk a pottery wheel.
    *** That is NOT what the phrase "saving throw" means.
    **** Cannot turn it into a coffee cup and say it got mugged.
    Reading this just made me think up a system that would allow this that i should totally implement if i ever DM game.

Everyone has one "Point of awesome" to spend at any time they want. Spending a "Point of Awsome" allows you to perform multiple actions in a row and bend the rules of the game to your whim for a short time, but the effect and result MUST be awesome. To spend a point of awesome you must first state you wish to do so, and once you have the attention of the DM and other players, you may state your plan. (i.e. "i cast spider climb on myself, run up the walls, and jump down onto the dragon casting smite evil upon it's skull as i fall down upon it. I then cast feather falling on myself and drift down to safety as the dragon lands dead behind me, uttering the quip "The bigger they are, the harder i fall." while putting on some cool shades.")

If the DM and other players agree to this, you perform the actions and potentially end the encounter quickly.

To re-gain a point of awesome, you must perform an aw some feat such as the above while adhering to the rules of the game. Spending a point of awesome allows you to do something awesome outside the game rules. Earning a point of awesome requires you do something awesome WITHIN the game rules.

Would require some refinement and most if not all of the party getting along well, but still. Awesome.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #732

Imp

*If my players cry whenever I say the phrase; 'And he leaps!' I am banned from DMing.

*No more making characters accidentally propose to NPCs, just because they don't know the NPCs culture.

*If the tarrasque is imprisoned in the form of a dog, with all it's normal powers and none of its destructive urge, may not give it to the players as a disobedient pet.

13. - Top - End - #733

I might be peeved at the GM's railroading.
    Yes, my character is crazy, and doesn't always care about collateral damage.
    Still, playing a relic Malkavian violin in the middle of a busy highway is a bit of an overkill.

14. - Top - End - #734

Quote Originally Posted by Belac93 View Post
    *If the tarrasque is imprisoned in the form of a dog, with all it's normal powers and none of its destructive urge, may not give it to the players as a disobedient pet.
    I remember a session I was drinking, and failed to notice that a guard dog I had attacking the party was using the tarrrasque stats. ^^;
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

'Bit old, but:

* 'Bisexual' means 'attracted to both males and females'.
    ** Not 'having a boyfriend and a girlfriend at the same time'.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

'Bit old, but:

* 'Bisexual' means 'attracted to both males and females'.
    ** Not 'having a boyfriend and a girlfriend at the same time'.
    *** It most certainly doesn't mean 'attracted to people who have just left'.

* If I don't want my character revealed as bisexual, I should not interrogate both the incubus and the succubus.
    ** Despite at least a third of the group being bisexual, I cannot play a non-straight character again.

EDIT:
    * My sexuality isn't 'whatevers pragmatic at the time's, 'noncommital shrug', or 'meh'.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2016-07-17 at 12:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

*If only one member of the party has a permanent, clearly defined, clearly understood and obvious gender the rest of us will be sent back to come up with new PCs
    **The GM is not learning new programs to refer to the party
    ***At least two members of the party should use the same pronouns

*If more than half the party qualifies as an object we will also be sent back

*The majority of the party should be humanoid at least the majority of the time.
    **Opposable thumbs are not optional

18. - Top - End - #738

* I am henceforth banned from taking jobs by a Johnson to kidnap a child.
    ** It is entirely unfair to use an ice cream truck for the extraction.
    *** No longer allowed to name the truck "Reasonable Penguin".
    **** Nor allowed to let the team troll drive said truck while cosplaying.
    ***** At no point should there be more than one child in the truck!
    ****** If we find ourselves trying to make more nuyen selling the ice cream than getting paid by the Johnson, we're doing something wrong.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #739
    Firbolg in the Playground

****** If we find ourselves trying to make more nuyen selling the ice cream than getting paid by the Johnson, we're doing something wrong.
    This is the part where you quit Shadowrunning and start a job as Snow Crash-style ice cream delivery men.

...Actually, that could be a pretty cool game. You break into high-tech research facilities to sell boxes of top-shelf ice cream to scientists whose corporations haven't given them quality junk food for months, and/or trade for goods that'll let you crack Aztechnology's new ice cream formula months before it'll hit the market. Could be fun.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

20. - Top - End - #740
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    This is the part where you quit Shadowrunning and start a job as Snow Crash-style ice cream delivery men.

...Actually, that could be a pretty cool game. You break into high-tech research facilities to sell boxes of top-shelf ice cream to scientists whose corporations haven't given them quality junk food for months, and/or trade for goods that'll let you crack Aztechnology's new ice cream formula months before it'll hit the market. Could be fun.
    Also spread rumors of various degrees of ridiculousness and make sure to erase as much evidence of the ice cream trucker's presence as possible. If there the only evidence available is hear-say, then nobody in their right mind would believe in your existence. It's the perfect crime.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

*** No longer allowed to name the truck "Reasonable Penguin".
    **** The truck cannot contain actual penguins.
    ***** Especially not for people to hug and play with.
    ****** Must not play a penguin PC.
    ******* Please stop honking and resume talking like a normal human.
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-07-22 at 07:24 AM.

22. - Top - End - #742

One of my favorite missions ever was giving the PCs a Macguffin box to deliver to a mafia boss across town, then have every other syndicate and gang come attack the team to steal it. After a crazy night of the strangest encounters found this side of Dude, where's My Car?, the PCs managed to deliver. The box contained a rare collectible pretty pony princess doll the mafia don bought for his daughters birthday.

The players were actually not upset about that. Not that I was allowed to do that stunt again. :3

**** The truck cannot contain actual penguins.
    ***** Especially not for people to hug and play with.
    ****** Must not play a penguin PC.
    ******* Please stop honking and resume talking like a normal human.
    So much for Reasonable Penguins. ^^;
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

I might have to break out Shadowrun now, just to run this kind of game.

Show

24. - Top - End - #744
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Madbox View Post
    *Just because I am capable of using a set of charts and graphs to accurately represent a space with more than three dimensions, does not mean that I should run an adventure involving a 4- or 5- dimensional temple to an abomination from beyond the stars. It needlessly confuses people.

Seriously, though, not that tricky to chart, although confusing to keep track of. It's like how you can use three 2d grids to represent a 3d space, with one representing the x-y plane, one for the y-z plane, and one for the x-z plane. You just need to now add in graphs for a w-x, w-y, and w-z plane. Easiest way to keep track of it mentally is to think of each point on the w-axis as being a cube, parallel to the cubes of the other w-axis points. Like how a 3d grid can be thought of a bunch of parallel 2d planes.
    ** Pointing out published Tesseract dungeons exist (including Baba Yaga's Hut - the one with a Russian tank in the basement), or the standard use of ethereal as a 2-level direction doesn't help.

It is ridiculously easy to do zone-to-zone (4 and 5 number coordinates), though in-space play gets weird when you try to address how players perceive the extra directions, or if they can.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

25. - Top - End - #745

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Reading this just made me think up a system that would allow this that i should totally implement if i ever DM game.

Everyone has one "Point of awesome" to spend at any time they want. Spending a "Point of Awsome" allows you to perform multiple actions in a row and bend the rules of the game to your whim for a short time, but the effect and result MUST be awesome. To spend a point of awesome you must first state you wish to do so, and once you have the attention of the DM and other players, you may state your plan. (i.e. "i cast spider climb on myself, run up the walls, and jump down onto the dragon casting smite evil upon it's skull as i fall down upon it. I then cast feather falling on myself and drift down to safety as the dragon lands dead behind me, uttering the quip "The bigger they are, the harder i fall." while putting on some cool shades.")

If the DM and other players agree to this, you perform the actions and potentially end the encounter quickly.

To re-gain a point of awesome, you must perform an aw some feat such as the above while adhering to the rules of the game. Spending a point of awesome allows you to do something awesome outside the game rules. Earning a point of awesome requires you do something awesome WITHIN the game rules.

Would require some refinement and most if not all of the party getting along well, but still. Awesome.
    Speaking as another player in Reltzik's group, our DM actually does have a system like this. However, Reltzik was all out of points, so it didn't help him this time. The points are mainly awarded when the DM feels like he's railroading us and are supposed to be spent to do cool stuff that the rules don't really cover.

26. - Top - End - #746

Imp

*The thing that stops one of the DM's plans cannot be that a particular character is gay.

*As a DM, not allowed to roleplay Cthulhu anymore.
    **Seriously, breaking the fourth wall makes it creepy.

*If everyone greets the warforged by slapping him in the face, kissing him twice on the cheek, and then whispering in his ear, that is fine.
    **What is not fine is me physically demonstrating on the warforged's player.
    ***No matter how much he appreciates it.
    ****No, it does not 'add to the experience.'

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Belac93 View Post
    *The thing that stops one of the DM's plans cannot be that a particular character is gay.

*If everyone greets the warforged by slapping him in the face, kissing him twice on the cheek, and then whispering in his ear, that is fine.
    **What is not fine is me physically demonstrating on the warforged's player.
    ***No matter how much he appreciates it.
    ****No, it does not 'add to the experience.'
    ***** The thing that stops all the DM's plans cannot be that two particular players are gay.

* As a GM, cannot allow a player to play a masochist PC.
    ** Also cannot allow her to investigate other NPCs.
    *** Especially when 'investigating' consists of katana-stabbing and crossbow-shooting.
    **** When she inevitably kills an NPC+, must not keep the NPC's corpse.
    ***** Said corpse cannot make an appearance when a second PC of the same player arrives in the same place.
    ****** Especially not in the exact state it was left in.
    ******* This PC is a pacifist!
    ******** Now you've made him upset.

+ When a player announces "my PC takes out a crossbow and shoots the NPC in the left eye", cannot respond with "she shoots the NPC in the right eye instead".

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

***** The thing that stops all the DM's plans cannot be that two particular players are gay.

*** Especially when 'investigating' consists of katana-stabbing and crossbow-shooting.
    **** When she inevitably kills an NPC+, must not keep the NPC's corpse.
    ***** Said corpse cannot make an appearance when a second PC of the same player arrives in the same place.

+ When a player announces "my PC takes out a crossbow and shoots the NPC in the left eye", cannot respond with "she shoots the NPC in the right eye instead".
    *May not mistake masochism for sadism
    **May not claim that my PC is a masochist because "This hurts me more than it hurts you."
    ***Especially when that is because you just severed his spinal cord so he can't actually feel where you shot him.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    **May not claim that my PC is a masochist because "This hurts me more than it hurts you."
    ***Especially when that is because you just severed his spinal cord so he can't actually feel where you shot him.
    Wow! That may just about the darkest "grim dark" I've seen on this thread!
    Though not as bad as my confessions or back stories......
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

**** When she inevitably kills an NPC, must not keep the NPC's corpse.
    * Cannot mention that the killed NPC respawned video-game style.
    ** Or that the NPC returned to see her own corpse, being mourned by the pacifist PC.
    *** Or that the pacifist PC gave advice to the NPC on how not to get killed next time.

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    The masochist PC I was talking about? She flirted with a different NPC by punching him. He did the most obvious thing - run away