New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Find Familiar...

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that it's only on the Wizard spell list?

The only reason that I can think of for it not being on the Sorcerer spell list (other than WotC seems to hate the Sorcerer), is the possibility of Twinning Find Familiar and getting two of them.
    Last edited by DracoKnight; 2016-02-11 at 01:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Find Familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that it's only on the Wizard spell list?

The only reason that I can think of for it not being on the Sorcerer spell list (other than WotC seems to hate the Sorcerer), is the possibility of Twinning Find Familiar and getting two of them.
    Well if that was the only reason then they really have not thought it through due to multiclassing and feats giving you multiple ways of being able to cast find familiar and use twin spell.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

It is only on the wizard list, but it is not because of Twinned Spell. That Metamagic only works on spells that target one creature only and don't have a range of self, and the language of the spell never indicates that the target is necessarily the familiar. Now, if that is false and it does target the celestial/fey/devil, Chain Sorclock gets a major boon as they now have two great familiars.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Magic initiate feat will let anyone grab it, even the ritual feat. But it is odd.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    Magic initiate feat will let anyone grab it, even the ritual feat. But it is odd.
    In some ways, it makes sense. Familiars are essentially magic helpers, which fits in with the scholarly aspect of wizards who need someone to handle minutiae for them. Thematically, it doesn't jive as well with the spontaneous, innate spellcasting of the Sorcerer, or the divine powers of the cleric.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    In some ways, it makes sense. Familiars are essentially magic helpers, which fits in with the scholarly aspect of wizards who need someone to handle minutiae for them. Thematically, it doesn't jive as well with the spontaneous, innate spellcasting of the Sorcerer, or the divine powers of the cleric.
    True, I guess. I just find it annoying.

Also, Find Familiar would be great on a cleric. Cure Wounds via Familiar? That just sounds awesome

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, Find Familiar would be great on a cleric. Cure Wounds via Familiar? That just sounds awesome
    I can see it now... the cleric with their wise, owl familiar, sends him off to an ally to cure their wounds at a distance, only to discover their ally is DEATHLY afraid of birds. And having a silent bird of prey suddenly show up next to them and want to touch them triggers an epileptic episode.

What? It can happen.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

There are lots of ways for characters, other than wizards, to gain access to the spell.

1. Magic initiate feat.
    2. Ritual caster feat.
    3. Fighters (Eldritch knights, 3rd+)
    4. Rogues (Arcane trickster, 3rd+)
    5. Warlock (Pact of Chain, 3rd+; or Pact of Tomb + book of ancient secrets 5th+)
    6. Bard (Lore college 6th+; or using magical secrets 10th+)

I think they never gave it to sorcerers as they wanted to make the spell lists more unique and sorcerers weren't given ritual casting. It makes the wizard different than the sorcerer. Given that there are two feats which can gain access to the spell fairly easily... it is hardly that much of a deal.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

My idea for a cleric was to take Find Familiar through a feat, go Trickster domain, and then hide all the time. Only send out the familiar to heal people while hiding.
    My Philosophies:
    Encounter Design Philosophy
    Enemy Design Philosophy
    My Incomplete Complete 5e Character Creation Rework

Please leave feedback or PM with thoughts. I'm always trying to refine my approach.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Find Familiar + Death Domain + Inflict Wounds + Channel Divinity = 100ft Amazing nova 3d10+9 at level 4

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote81 View Post
    Find Familiar + Death Domain + Inflict Wounds + Channel Divinity = 100ft Amazing nova 3d10+9 at level 4
    And now I can watch my DM's precious cities suddenly die without risk to my own life!
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

I also wish more classes would have that spell without wasting a precious feat. It would make a perfect innofensive animal companion for ranger/druid. And i wouldn't mind using one of my spell known to get one with a blade-warlock or sorcerer.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Addaran View Post
    I also wish more classes would have that spell without wasting a precious feat. It would make a perfect innofensive animal companion for ranger/druid. And i wouldn't mind using one of my spell known to get one with a blade-warlock or sorcerer.
    Warlock, I understand, they want to keep the Chainlock special. Ranger would probably want to keep the animal companion special, so that doesn't make as much sense. Cleric would make sense with the helper's type being limited by your deity (some deities get celestials, some fey, some devils), but I can also see why they don't get them. Sorcerer doesn't get them due to *murmursomefluffmurmur* that perfectly explains it, and also ties into why they don't get rituals.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

It is. My party's Cleric likes to deliver his Cure Wounds (and Cause Wounds) via Squirrel Familiar.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I have an idea for a Paladin / Ranger multiclass that picks up Find Familiar so that I can have a familiar, an animal companion (Ranger), and a steed (Paladin). The True Beastmaster!
    My Philosophies:
    Encounter Design Philosophy
    Enemy Design Philosophy
    My Incomplete Complete 5e Character Creation Rework

Please leave feedback or PM with thoughts. I'm always trying to refine my approach.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

I also wish more classes would have that spell without wasting a precious feat. It would make a perfect innofensive animal companion for ranger/druid.
    Druids have animal friendship, which nets them their animal companions (just as it did in 3.0, before the idea of "Animal Companion" as a class feature was introduced in 3.5).

A druid/warlock could actually get a TON of animal companions!

17. - Top - End - #17

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Druids have animal friendship, which nets them their animal companions (just as it did in 3.0, before the idea of "Animal Companion" as a class feature was introduced in 3.5).

A druid/warlock could actually get a TON of animal companions!
    Only 24 hours. =( That's why i though of Find Familliar. But a feat is kinda too big of a price.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Only 24 hours. =( That's why i though of Find Familliar. But a feat is kinda too big of a price.
    It's the same mechanic used to limit animate dead: you have to effectively commit a spell slot to it.

Hence why a warlock/druid would be interesting as a way to go with it; 1-2 animal friendships each time you take a short rest.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

One of wizards' chief class abilities is how THICK their spell list is. They have, by far, the most spells out of any caster. Most of the neat things a wizard gets a sorcerer both doesn't have the spells known to grab it, and it's not on his spell list. But the sorcerer has more raw power, keeping in line with the idea of a sorcerer.
    Current Characters:
    - Drake Hightower, "the Famous Bard"
    Human Bard (Lore) 13 / Cleric (Life) 1/ Warlock 2
    - Bane Brigun, "Old Arcane Duelist"
    Human Rogue 4 / Fighter 3 (BM) / Warlock 5 (GOO/Blade) (Arcane Duelist)
    - Baston "Everstorm" Harkonax, "Dragon-Prince Returning Home"
    Dragonborn Paladin (Vengeance) 6 / Sorcerer (Chaos) 10