The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 112627282930313233343536
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1075
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    and I like them doing that Traab. anything is preferable to someone sucking. like, I don't see why I wouldn't make stuff up to make a character not suck, unless the character was an intentional hate sink so.....*shrug*
    Oh I agree, I love it when they do that in fanfics, take an underutilized character and make them interesting or badass in various ways. I was just saying that in general, ino herself, in canon, is NOT badass. She is generally just bad. Which is why so many dislike her. Ive seen plenty of fics that go both ways, from her reforming herself and buckling down, to remaining an airhead sasuke fangirl no matter what he does. Ive even read some where her early fangirl behavior is done by her on purpose for various reasons, from wanting to help sakura by giving this weakling civilian fangirl a "rival" she can "win" against, to hiding her skills to manipulate things like team placements or whatever. And yes, naru/ino stories are often oddly solid pairings. Maybe its because hinata is generally a mouse in personality for the majority of canon while ino is a loud and forceful personality to match naruto?

    I think my favorite fanfic stuff is people taking the more or less background or bit characters and turning them into something interesting. As an example, virtually anyone in slytherin other than draco crabbe and goyle. Daphne, tracey, heck Blaise is the haku of the setting as nobody seems to agree on what his/her gender should be. But in naruto you get the secondary characters like anyone not a member of team 7, then the even more tertiary like the coughing sword guy, or the senbon chewer from the chunin exams (I know their names but thats basically all you learn about them in canon) and they are fun near blank slates to work with story wise. And its amusing how over time they become established fannon characters so even though none of it is actually part of the original story, its how they tend to be written by everyone in fanfiction.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  2. - Top - End - #1052
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Oh wait, even better, the 4th war, her main job was communications,
    You know that's literally like, the most important job in a war, right? More so even than recon and logistics (as they both need communications to, like, work.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab
    when everyone else was showing off their special awesome combat skills against the juubi and its claymation minions, shika gets to be a shadow warrior using giant choji as a yoyo but ino? She kinda... linked them together or something? It was odd. And less than impressive.
    Realkly? Yo wren't impressed by the fact her dad practically had an anueism trying to talk to all the ninja forces WITH the specialist gear and Ino did it several times without that and not so much as a break in stride?

    Or when she mind-transferred Obito?

    I 'cos as sure as hell was.

    Ino did PLENTY of stuff (hell, I would say Ino actually did more critical to the actual war effort than the entire of the rest of the other characters combined, bar Team 7 itself), it just was not directly related to punching White Zetsus in the face. Tenten is, like, my favourite, right, but there is some justification to the running joke she's useless; in Ino's case it ISN'T true.

  3. - Top - End - #1053
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    You know that's literally like, the most important job in a war, right? More so even than recon and logistics (as they both need communications to, like, work.)



    Realkly? Yo wren't impressed by the fact her dad practically had an anueism trying to talk to all the ninja forces WITH the specialist gear and Ino did it several times without that and not so much as a break in stride?

    Or when she mind-transferred Obito?

    I 'cos as sure as hell was.

    Ino did PLENTY of stuff (hell, I would say Ino actually did more critical to the actual war effort than the entire of the rest of the other characters combined, bar Team 7 itself), it just was not directly related to punching White Zetsus in the face. Tenten is, like, my favourite, right, but there is some justification to the running joke she's useless; in Ino's case it ISN'T true.
    Her noncombat abilities are impressive I grant you, at least they finally became that way about 90% of the way through the naruto story. I missed the mind transfer of obito and as for army communication whilst impressive, I put her ability to do so down to a combination of being RIGHT THERE rather than at a distant command post, and the army being like a tenth the size it was at the start. They took some insanely heavy losses by the time ino stepped in. Still impressive as heck, and yes communication is king in war, but her as a person? She spent the majority of naruto being either a sasuke fangirl and weaker than a pool noodle lance in a joust or a basic nonentity. Her best feats pre timeskip were to draw with the utterly useless sakura at the chunin exam elimination stage, and to bluff and fail miserably against team oto in the forest where she got blasted into a tree when they called her bluff and injured. At least with Tenten, you get the feeling she was a serious ninja and one with skills, she just faced her worst possible opponent short of orochimaru deciding to take part for giggles.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  4. - Top - End - #1054
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Hey so I have a question that may or may not be spoilers for AOTRS, so I'm spoiling it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    What's the Naruto movie where Naruto gets eaten by a snake and a horny woman inside of the snake threatens to kiss him and he at first thinks it is food she's offering him and then when she teases him he mentions he's kissed before but it was with a boy and he blushes.

    Because I want to know just so I can tell people.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Hey so I have a question that may or may not be spoilers for AOTRS, so I'm spoiling it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    What's the Naruto movie where Naruto gets eaten by a snake and a horny woman inside of the snake threatens to kiss him and he at first thinks it is food she's offering him and then when she teases him he mentions he's kissed before but it was with a boy and he blushes.

    Because I want to know just so I can tell people.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are you sure your not remembering incorrectly?

    I looked through all the naruto movie summaries and found nothing like that, and the only character I can find that has anything to do with kissing Naruto aside from Hinata and Sasuke is a filler character called Fuka who kills people by kissing them and sucking out all their chakra, and I only know that character exists because of a fanfic using her.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 25!



  6. - Top - End - #1056
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are you sure your not remembering incorrectly?

    I looked through all the naruto movie summaries and found nothing like that, and the only character I can find that has anything to do with kissing Naruto aside from Hinata and Sasuke is a filler character called Fuka who kills people by kissing them and sucking out all their chakra, and I only know that character exists because of a fanfic using her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's probably her then and not in a movie, just the series proper. Look I don't go here I read the manga not the anime.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  7. - Top - End - #1057
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Bleakbane Catches Up With Naruto

    We're in the final stretch now! Penultimate installment!

    A Full-Powered Wedding Gift

    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

    It IS! It literally IS an episode of Rock Lee's Ninja Pals! While it's still in main-show character designs, the animation takes a distinctly Ninja Pals bend and otherwise this is straight-out stealth finale for Ninja Pals.

    (With a minor thread of Iruka deciding to learn more about the person Naruto has become.)

    Insanity right from the start (Shino covering his friends with insects for... No reason, at all, apparently, then riding off on a chair of insects...)

    Lee of course, goes completely insane and rushes round (on his hands, because) in a fervour about as intense as I've ever seen. He disgards his first idea (dumbells) out of fear Naruto will use them to excess and forget Hinata.

    Meanwhile, Tenten's first thought it kunai... And then realises that Hinata is getting married, she doesn't even have a boyfriend 'cos she spends all her time training and that everyone will just sigh and go "kunai, yeah, that's such a Tenten thing to give!"

    Lee comes to her for help, of course...

    A day of insane hijinks, during which we see Random Orochimaru cameos (followed by a wordless Yamato), the idiot birds, ye gods!

    At night, Lee is... visited by Neji's ghost! Ahahahahahahahahahaha! Oh, thank you show, THANK YOU! He has a message for Lee ("physical strength over endurance!" or something delivered while flexing, becasuse this episode is GOLD.)

    The following day, Lee gets the idea fom Iruka to drag Guy into the insantiy, and it, of course escalates, because bein in a wheel chair has had literally NO EFFECT on Guy whatsoever.

    While Tenten desprately and futily tries to keep them on track, Guy and Lee go further and further afield in their own special brand of insanity to work out what the most important thing about a wedding is. Culminating in an actual honesy-to-lichness skit, straight out of Ninja Pals! With Lee in drag being Hinata and Guy being Naruto. (Tenten is the baby, because of COURSE.)

    After they finish this trip into Lee and Guy's headspace, Tenten, gasping wonders what Neji would have thought and Guy points out, for Hinata's sake he would have gone full in and...

    ...and..

    ...and...

    WE GET A NEJI-IN-A-DRESS-CAMEO!!!!!

    BWAAAAAAAAAAAA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

    This is the BEST episode!

    This makes Lee realise what Neji's message meant, of COURSE they should get the dumbells, because HINATA will need them because of all the hardwork doing housework and stuff! (Because Lee...)

    This finishes with Lee, Guy and GHOST NEJI, because I love this episode so much flexing and repeating "physical strength over enduance!" and Guy and Lee rush off (on their hands) to go buy some dumbells.

    Tenten decides, sod it, she'll just get some decorative kunai, and skips - ACTUALLY SKIPS - off, still wearing the face-paint, humming to herself, with a helium-filled teddy bear balloon behind her.

    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    I... Have no words!

    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!


    This is episode in FANTASTIC. It is an absolutely shameless send-off for Team Guy in their most paragon of Ninja Pals mode and it is glorious. They manage to hit every note of the show AND STILL MAKE SENSE WITH MAINLINE CANON and it is just perfect.

    They all clearly had a right blast with this episode.

    I take my hat off to you show, seriously I do. All of the naff stuff in the ending, all of the low points - sod it, I'll forgive that, because you actually went there with this episode. To the point of Neji-inna-dress, even!

    If I had a face I would STILL be smiling right now. WIN, pure unadulterated WIN.



    Steam and Food Pills

    Clearly, we're doing this team by team, as next up is Team Ten!

    Shikamaru is struggling to come up with a gift; Ino, however, won't help, because Ino, of course, out of all of them possible bar Sakura, is going to have th best idea what makes a good wedding gift.

    Shika and Chouji go to resturaurnt for lunch where...

    .. Orochimaru is waiting tables...?

    PfftAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    And Yamato cameo peeeking over the top in the background!

    I... Don't know what this arc even is, but it's AMAZING!

    Chouji, turns out, is ahaed of the game - he's bought tickets to a fancy restaurant, which is both typically Chouji (especially as there's three...) but also a rather good idea.

    We are treated to a full-on Shikamaru internal tactical narration, complete with (totally un-)suitable dramatic music (I also love that they have made heavy use of the early pre-Shippuden music), only it's about getting a wedding gift and it is side-splittingly hilarious.

    While Chouji is ranting on about ice-cream (he's eaten, like ten bowls), he gives Shikamaru an idea for a gift - a honeymoon! But Shikamaru just needs a female opinion, to make sure Hinata will like it. (I mean, I'd have said that probably wouldn't be necessary, but as events prove, dear FRAG does Shika actually need that help...)

    As Shikamaru is explaining this to Chouji, of COURSE they run across Temari. Who is blushing like a school-girl, something which Shika completely misses.

    So, naturally, Chouji dumps it on Shika that TEMARI is a girl, and so perfectly capable. Shikamaru of course thinks Temari is too much of a warrior to ever find things like that of interest, but it's too late to back out once Chouji says hhe has something to ask Temari.

    Shikamaru, panicking a bit, OF COURSE says he's been thinking a lot about honeymoons. (Temari's shocked reaction is absolutely priceless!) He doesn't explain WHY, naturally - so you can see where this is going - but just asks her if a holiday at hot springs would be alright. She manages a yes and Shiamaru is pleased. Temari has gone a bit into shock (which Shika utterly misses) and then Chouji suggests that it's still early, so Shikamaru could go check it out in detail right now. But he is off for more sweets (because, he says, pudding is a different stomach to main courses). I suspect Chouji isn't anywhere near as daft as he seems an he's doing this on purpose, because Chouji is also awesome.

    Shikamaru is on the verge of panic, being left with Temari, but then she says she will go with him. (She's not stopped blushing this whole time, it's priceless.)

    Shikamru, COMPLETELY misreading the situation, assumes her stunned silence is anger and tries to make her mood better by having some stops to play carnival games on the way. (So adding a proper date to this excursion, the hapless fool.)

    Meanwhile, Ino has gone to purchase her gift, a picture frame she saw; expensive, but she thinks ideal. Sakura has, of course, had the EXACT same idea, and you can see where THIS is going.

    After they predicatably get kicked out of the shop, Chouji tries to intervene before it can turns into a full-grown brawl (they have already reached the point where Ino is saying Sakura has no chest and isn't feminine). Unfortunately for Chouji, this means he's now in the position of having to judge who is the most feminine. Showing again great wisdom and also that this is Chouji, he manages to suggest that true feminity is displayed by cooking. Because this arc is amazing.

    So, food-pill cook-off between Sakura and Ino, with Chouji as the judge (and announcer, in the Shananigans that follow). Eventually, he tries the food-pills and, proving that Sakura has clearly spent some points in cooking since the early days of Shippuden, both sets are equally delicious. Chouji, at this point, goes into a food coma, and the girls think he's been poisoned (dsespite both of them saying they wouldn't do that), so they try each other's to try and find what poisoned him and realise they made each other's favourite flavour, on the basis that they both wanted to stun the other so much, they'd win. Chouji recovers, and the girls decide to work on a present together.

    Meanwhile, Shikamaru is outside a likely looking inn, and wants to go in to check it out inside. Temari is at this point "not emotionally ready," because she might get caught up in the moment. Shikamaru, STILL having no clue, my Lichemaster, ahaha, grabs her as she walks off, telling her he NEEDS her and she's the only one... Because she's a girl so she can check out the women's side.

    And, at this point, the penny starts to drop and she asks what this is all in aid of and Shikamaru blurts out this was for Hinata and Naruto's wedding and he explains that earlier didn't... He...?

    No.

    No, he did not.

    Temari reacts appropriately.

    Team Ten meet at Ichiaruk's later, where Iruka is there again. Ino is back to square one, but confident, and Shikamaru has had the LIVING CRAP beaten out of him by Temari.

    CLASS.



    ...

    Oh dear frag, the "next time" portion is narrated by B.



    The Kazekage's Wedding Gift

    Gaara arrives with Temari and Kankoro (presumably a little after the last episode, but unlikely to be too long) for the Five Kage summit.

    Mei has been delayed, so while the other kage socialise, Onoki and B explain they would like to send Naruto a gift... Kakashi says that would be lovely, and says they have full run of the village while they wait and he'll be sending some shinobi to as guides.

    Gaara and Kankoro are a bit suprised to learn Naruto is getting married, which is a bit odd, really you'd have thought that-

    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Temari was so mad after the last episode she forgot to tell them!

    It is about at this point Tenten and Lee show up as their escorts, and you can see where this is going...

    Temari refuses to go out to help, and sulks in her room because she's afraid of running across Shikamaru.

    Lee leads the kazekage off and on the way, he explains about his gift and at this point, all pretense is dropped and we literally drop right into Ninja Pals animation for a bit and oh my Lichemaster I LOVE this arc SO MUCH.

    Gaara is taken to Itchiraku's where Iruka is already eating and Teuchi is explaining his cunning plan to make his gift a year's worth of free ramen! Six months of free ramen! This is a really bad idea!

    Lee and co show up at this point, and they all have Naruto's favourite ramen (except Tenten, who is vaguley sane), but they all have naruto fishcakes, because it's really popular now because Naruto...

    Kankoro thinks they should get something really extravangant. Gaara isn't sure, though. After-dinner musings are interrupted by B stumbling out the bushes (the implication being he avoided his escorts) and brags about the amazing gifts Cloud will be sending. (Tenten's horrified what-is-EVEN-happening-now expression throughout this is GOLD.) Lee, is of course lapping this up, Kankoro is fuming, Gaara uncertain, being the only other straight man here.

    Kankoro finally explodes (almost literally) and rants about the great gifts Sand is going to give that he's just come up with. B, a little taken aback, comes back with the Raikage is doing to perform the Cloud Dance (oh my lichemaster, A doing The Pointy Dance ahahahahahaha!) B then legs it, secure in his victory.

    Gaara is now increasingly uncertain, especially as Lee and Kankoro say that clearly now Gaara hs to dance ("the Sand Shuffle," Kankoro says) to keep up with this insanity. Gaara replies in the "hell, no" category, but Kankoro points out he'll probabaly have to dance with Naruto.

    I love that Gaara's mind immediately has them dancing bare-chested in elaborate costumes. I'm sure if I knew ore about Japanese culture, it would be even funnier.

    Meanwhile, Shizune reports to Lord Hokage (she continues to deliberately ignore Kakashi's requrest to drop the "lord" part ahaha!) that B has requested an extension to the entertainment for Hinata and Naruto's wedding. "What entertainment?" says Kakashi...

    The three kages present set off to find B, who is running around telling everyone how great the Raikage's dance will be. A asks Kakashi to fogive him as there's about to be A Scene, but Onoki, is like "hold on dude..." Because B has made the fatal, fatal mistake of mentioning "wedding" in earshot of Mizukage, Meu having apparently skivved off to have a quiet meal before the summit.

    Arse-kicking ensues.

    At the summit, Kakashi politely asks the kage to... Show some moderation in dealing with the birthday gifts. Please?

    Temari, taking a sunset walk, runs into Shikamaru after all. They apologise for last time and Shikamaru ocne again fumblingly asks her out.

    We are treated to a montage, with the various kage guards having a drink together (with drunk Orochimaru in the background, because this arc has no shame), Shika and Temari on a date, with a gobsmacked Ino and Chouji watching through the window (ahahahahaha!), B getting a dressing down and Kankoro sulking in his room.


    Gaara has one last ramen at Ichirakus, and again meets Iruka (who is figuring pretty strongly in this arc, neatly enough, since he was the original mentor). Gaara decides that, actually, he won't send an extravant gift from the Sand, just a personal one from himself, as a friend. (Iruka thinks that's the best idea.)

    Kakashi, Lee and Tenten wave the kazekage farewell. Lee tells him to come vist sometime when not on offcial business and Gaara says not only that he will, but it'll be soon, for Naturo's wedding. Kankoro is most puit out that they can't win the genital waving contest with Cloud via gift-giving.

    The Sand sibs head home. Temari is practically walking on the clouds until Kankoro points out how unusual this is. She retorts nothing is wrong (she's so bad at this! Bahahahaha!), but instead accuses Kankoro of sulking because they can't win the gift-giving contest. Kankoro says (with a tear in his eye) he was more disappointed that Gaara won't be dancing...



    This arc, is, frankly, [EXPLETIVING] EPIC.

    I was killing myself the entire way through. After a somewhat "eh" start with that first episode, it's been utterly, gloriously stupid in the best way Naruto can be. I genuniely love this stuff, I really, really do. It's just a load of characters I've grown very fond of after a decade and chunk, fracking about and just being silly and it is AMAZING. (The Iruka subplot feels like Shippuden is trying to do a meaningful thing about how Naruto has all grown up and how he's changed blah-blah-blah, but the schmalziness is drowned mercifully out by the insanity.)

    I don't think I could ask for a better send-off for the show than to keep this up for the last three episodes.



    And it looks like we will, because next time, it's Shino and Kiba's turn!

    So, like as not, then Tuesday will be the FINAL installment of Bleakbane Catches Up With Naruto...

    (That'll make some of you happy, I'm sure...!)

  8. - Top - End - #1058
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    That depends: Will you then try to catch up with Boruto?

    There was an officially published novel released around the time that The LAst was about the wedding and the lead up to it. There's one bit in there that I particularly like and I'm wondering if it made it into the anime.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    That depends: Will you then try to catch up with Boruto?

    There was an officially published novel released around the time that The LAst was about the wedding and the lead up to it. There's one bit in there that I particularly like and I'm wondering if it made it into the anime.


    Well, that would be "Bleakbane Catches Up with Boroto," wouldn't it?

    But I'm undecided, at the moment.

    If I'm honest, what puts me off a bit is the same beef I had with Korra - I feel like Naruto and Aang's characters got essentially Fridged a bit solely so they could make the characters have parent issues because REASONS. I REALLY don't like when stuff goes "and the day is saved" and then [x] years later, it faffs things around because it's afraid to not have the protagonist be something of an underdog again. (Star Wars completely lost me when they did that with TFA.)

    So, yah. There is a school of thought that says "y'know, I'll just make up my own post-ending."

    Maybe eventually, but... *checks Amazon* okay, well, there are three volumes out on DVD apparently, so I could if I wanted. I mean, it's taken me, what, a year or two to catch up to here, though, so I'm not in a hurry.

    Plus I had stuff like the first parts of DBZ Kai and DBS that I got for Christmas, so that's gonna be the next thing to get more of.

  10. - Top - End - #1060
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    ... I... Korra doesn't have parent issues? Aang aint her dad, he's her... herself, but to the left a bit.

    Also it's taken forever for Naruto to get kicked out of the plot by the plot in Boruto so you'll be fine.

    I do get the idea of "I don't like my happily ever after to be over" though, I get that.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  11. - Top - End - #1061
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    ... I... Korra doesn't have parent issues? Aang aint her dad, he's her... herself, but to the left a bit.

    Also it's taken forever for Naruto to get kicked out of the plot by the plot in Boruto so you'll be fine.

    I do get the idea of "I don't like my happily ever after to be over" though, I get that.
    I meant Korra the series, not Korra the character. I was referring specifically to Aang's kids; what'shisface (actually, speaking of LoK, I probably ought to watch seasons 3/4 for Korra, actually, I've had them on DVD for an age too) - Tenzin. (Had to look it up.) And his brother and sister.

    I just do not buy on ANY level that Aang would be that bad of a parent - LoK had a lot of issues where the writing was so bad, there was nothing I could see but the man behind the screen (Amoron was another).
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-01-20 at 12:39 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #1062
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I meant Korra the series, not Korra the character; I was referring specifically to Aang's kids; what'shisface (actually, speaking of LoK, I probably ought to watch seasons 3/4 for Korra, actually, I've had them on DVD for an age too) - Tenzin. (Had to look it up.) And his brother and sister.
    That's fair but also given the context of the series you do understand why Aang can't be in Korra, so there's inevitibly going to be some dad issues attached to that because can you imagine Tenzin, training this tiny little **** of a kid, and she just... does something that reminds him so much of his dad that he had a weird relationship with that it just puts a nettle in his heart?

    That rules, to me. That rules so much. Also yeah do watch season 3 and 4 they're your reward for seasons 1 and 2.

    Back on the Narutos; thanks to your going through it I've got to learn how wonderfully wacky and carefree Orochimaru's life as a former literal monster scientist is and it's wonderful. Everyone gets unjustified redemption! Hooray!


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  13. - Top - End - #1063
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I meant Korra the series, not Korra the character. I was referring specifically to Aang's kids; what'shisface (actually, speaking of LoK, I probably ought to watch seasons 3/4 for Korra, actually, I've had them on DVD for an age too) - Tenzin. (Had to look it up.) And his brother and sister.

    I just do not buy on ANY level that Aang would be that bad of a parent - LoK had a lot of issues where the writing was so bad, there was nothing I could see but the man behind the screen (Amoron was another).
    You can't look left and right at the same time. That is the failure of being human and also the beauty of being human for it teaches us to be present, it teaches us there is a time and place for everything.

    Spoiler: Me Defending Avatar, both the Legend of Korra and Aang, and thus via extension Naruto and Boruto
    Show


    Dominant Hand aka Dominant Thought: if it talks like a duck, walks like a duck, looks like a duck, must be a duck

    On the Other Hand? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: could be a rabbit?




    Our human mind can't do both at the same time! It has to take turns. Even if the taking turns is switching several times in a single second.

    -----

    So even the wisest of us will always have "blind-spots" for you can't look left and right at the same time. You can't do everything at once. Instead you must have faith in others, and the system, and so on. Yet even with faith in others and the system, the world will constantly fail from time to time, that is the nature of reality. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    The hero's journey type stories (not all stories are hero's journeys) of a teenager hero becomming an adult is really at its core teach the reader / listeners one of life's great truths. This truth is one of introspection and a form of mysticism. A form of "mystery" solving which considers the path of movement toward and away from anything in our world as not always a straight line, but rather periods along the journey of striving, failing, and striving againa rising and falling of energies along the path. One must fail in order to later succeed and to understand a greater insight.

    -----

    This is why the Avatar had to be human in Korra and can't just be a light spirit. For the spirits are "fixed" immutable concepts that are abstracts in the Avatar world. They are able to change, but they are not able to change their core nature and thus they find it hard to incorporate their opposite concept, they find it hard to work in tandem with their opposite to provide neutralizing energy but also neutralizing energy can allow a "foundation" for other energys to build.

    Thus for a new insight to occur, Aang has to fail, Aang had to forget, in order to allow Korra to experience, for Korra to remember not as in memory but instead to remember as in "to call to mind" and to be mindful and to see things with a new fresh perspective.

    -----

    Toph had to be a bad parent for she was awesome at dozens of other things and you can't be awesome at everything at once. EVEN IF YOU ARE TOPH!

    Aang can be a loving parent but still not see everything at once, and be everything at once for that is the nature of being human. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We should not hold Aang to an impossible standard for that is a form of objectifying and treating him not as human but like he is some demigod or fetish object.


    Why must we see Naruto as superior to Jiraiya in everything, yet in the process deny Naruto his humanity? We love Jiraiya for he is all too human, why can't we extend this same love to Naruto?
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2020-01-20 at 01:43 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  14. - Top - End - #1064
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Honestly the idea of "our heroes are fallable" is one of my favorite concepts, because like... in a lot of series it's completely ignored, but for Avatar and for Naruto it's baked into the series. Sure, it's not used properly ALL the time, but it is there and I love it.

    Of course Naruto and Sasuke are kinda bad dads. One was abandoned for years by his entire village and his own friend up to that point was a single like, teen to young adult. Sasuke's entire family was murdered out of a twisted love and he was tortured. I make fun of Sasuke for being a terrible father who tried to murder his daughter on sight (rightfully, as he makes no attempts to make up for it) but can you blame him when the only real act of love he's ever experienced in his life was "I'm going to spare your life."?

    The answer of course is yes, but it's still a fair point in his favor.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-01-20 at 01:56 PM.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  15. - Top - End - #1065
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Back on the Narutos; thanks to your going through it I've got to learn how wonderfully wacky and carefree Orochimaru's life as a former literal monster scientist is and it's wonderful. Everyone gets unjustified redemption! Hooray!
    I mean, if Sasuke gets away with less than a slap on the wrist, why not snake-dude too?
    I mean at least he actually helped instead of whatever the crazy kid tried.

    Also, Orochimaru is the better parent to his little abomination of science.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

    Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")



  16. - Top - End - #1066
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I mean, if Sasuke gets away with less than a slap on the wrist, why not snake-dude too?
    I mean at least he actually helped instead of whatever the crazy kid tried.

    Also, Orochimaru is the better parent to his little abomination of science.
    Honestly that's like, the reason it IS so good.

    Orochimaru, for all his genuine literal actual monster ****ery... did more willingly to put forward his own redemption than Sasuke did. And has done less harm to everyone involved than Sasuke since that time period.

    Orochimaru being the best dad of the Seinin Trio is ****ing disturbing and it's why Mitzuki is my favorite next only to Sarada, who gets my favorite for being surprisingly well adjusted for an Uchiha in her situation.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Honestly that's like, the reason it IS so good.

    Orochimaru, for all his genuine literal actual monster ****ery... did more willingly to put forward his own redemption than Sasuke did. And has done less harm to everyone involved than Sasuke since that time period.

    Orochimaru being the best dad of the Seinin Trio is ****ing disturbing and it's why Mitzuki is my favorite next only to Sarada, who gets my favorite for being surprisingly well adjusted for an Uchiha in her situation.
    I mean, if tsunade had been best dad that might have disturbed me more. And also filled a few fetishes online that i try to stay away from
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  18. - Top - End - #1068
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I mean, if tsunade had been best dad that might have disturbed me more. And also filled a few fetishes online that i try to stay away from
    She's a drunken hooligan who punches people to teach them how to be better people, but genuinely means well and cares greatly for her charges even if she'd never admit it.

    That's an extremely dad energy, girl or not. Girl's can be dads.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  19. - Top - End - #1069
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    She's a drunken hooligan who punches people to teach them how to be better people, but genuinely means well and cares greatly for her charges even if she'd never admit it.

    That's an extremely dad energy, girl or not. Girl's can be dads.
    Agreed.

    I am now having a mental image of Jiraiya and Orochimaru fighting over the best mom trophy 🏆 and now I am creeped out. I am creeped out not to gender / society roles...but instead the Snake 🐍 Sannin vs the Toad 🐸 Sannin conflict will soon escalate to Lovecraftian 🦑 cosmic horror. 😬
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    You can't look left and right at the same time. That is the failure of being human and also the beauty of being human for it teaches us to be present, it teaches us there is a time and place for everything.
    I can't seem to quite place exactly why it is the inherently transhumanist undead abomination who has long since lost any distant faith in humanity as species and that it will ever improve while it remains forever making excuses for itself could possibly find something wrong with that statement, but for some bizaare reason, I apparently do. Go figure.



    If you, the metaphorical author, want me to buy that the character (especially in Naruto's case) that you have spent the series showing IS better than other humans (Naruto ESPECIALLY, child of prophecy and all that plus uncanny ability to get on with everyone and who has ACTUALLY changed the world for the better because no-one else could)?

    Then you have to SHOW me these supposed flaws properly.

    Whcih means you DO NOT GET TO TIMESKIP and you DON'T get to do it retoactively, becuase then all you're doing is transparently modifying the characters to suit the narrative of the underdog you want to tell.

    If you don't show me your working - in detail - then I'm not going to accept that you, metaphorical author, aren't just doing it for no other reason than that Fairy Tale beginning.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-01-20 at 07:31 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #1071
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Yes I too have problems with Boruto and how they are doing show vs tell. The idea is not bad, how the idea is implemented is bad.

    Do not get me started for it is a wasted opportunity

    Do not get LaZodiac started on how Samurai 8 is not living up to its potential. [I am putting words in LaZodiac's mouth and I actually kinda want to hear what she thinks about this in more detail ]
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2020-01-20 at 08:45 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  22. - Top - End - #1072
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I can't seem to quite place exactly why it is the inherently transhumanist undead abomination who has long since lost any distant faith in humanity as species and that it will ever improve while it remains forever making excuses for itself could possibly find something wrong with that statement, but for some bizaare reason, I apparently do. Go figure.

    If you, the metaphorical author, want me to buy that the character (especially in Naruto's case) that you have spent the series showing IS better than other humans (Naruto ESPECIALLY, child of prophecy and all that plus uncanny ability to get on with everyone and who has ACTUALLY changed the world for the better because no-one else could)?

    Then you have to SHOW me these supposed flaws properly.

    Whcih means you DO NOT GET TO TIMESKIP and you DON'T get to do it retoactively, becuase then all you're doing is transparently modifying the characters to suit the narrative of the underdog you want to tell.

    If you don't show me your working - in detail - then I'm not going to accept that you, metaphorical author, aren't just doing it for no other reason than that Fairy Tale beginning.
    While I can't speak for Naruto, Avatar definitely established the mentalities that would lead to the Gaang being illsuited to parenthood.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Yes I too have problems with Boruto and how they are doing show vs tell. The idea is not bad, how the idea is implemented is bad.

    Do not get me started for it is a wasted opportunity

    Do not get LaZodiac started on how Samurai 8 is not living up to its potential. [I am putting words in LaZodiac's mouth and I actually kinda want to hear what she thinks about this in more detail ]
    Samurai 8 is what happens when you take all of Naruto's years of world building, lore, and power systems and decide to post it in the first thirty chapters, and then do nothing interesting with any of it.

    And then also some of it is just comically stupid like "I designed a video game to train you specifically and you alone. Yes it's an MMO. Your point?"
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-01-20 at 09:52 PM.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  23. - Top - End - #1073
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    While I can't speak for Naruto, Avatar definitely established the mentalities that would lead to the Gaang being illsuited to parenthood
    Especially Toph.

    They didn't even need to explain it. "the girl who resented her parents for treating her like she's helpless and micromanaging her life even though she's been self-sufficient since she was like, three or four and ran away from home becuase she got sick of it and becuase 'I told you so' as an explanation isn't good at being there for children who have normal dependence on their parents or setting reasonable boundaries" is pretty self-evident.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  24. - Top - End - #1074
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    And here we are, after, in my case, about, what 12-14 years or so, by my best metric guess? The end of the road.

    And the final installment of

    Bleakbane Catches Up With Naruto

    The Last Mission

    So Shino, episode! (Making, what, only the second or third episode that's done that? TENTEN has had more character focus...!)

    We start out with... Orocochimaru running around in a panic because bugs. I... Ahahahahahahahaha! What?

    Shino runs into the Troublesome Trio of Iruka's current students and the conversation (that one kid is still on about bewing hokage. Ahahahahahaha, no, he won't!) makes him wonder what his own dream is.

    Anyway, he meets up with Kiba so they can find a wedding present for Hinata. Kiba is placing a lot of emphasis on this, because it is likely the last mission for Team 8 before they disband. He reckons he'll have to work even harder to become hokage. Ahahahahahaha, no, he won't!

    Their cunning plan is to...

    ... Talk to Kurenai! Good plan. (Mirai hilariously keeps half-mixing Kiba and Akamaru's names up. Actually bonus points for writing her like an actual toddler, most stuff REALLY doesn't do very well at that.)

    Kurenai recounts something about the Senju clan getting a special sort of bee honey wine, which has ceremonial significance and is both useful for cooking and/or medicine. It is locate by a mysterious beekeeper in a massive ruined city. (The HELL happened to that place?)

    They first, however, encounter a ninja cat (oh, is this the place the Uchiha were always going?) that is apparently literally the cat version of Naruto. Kiba handles the situation with his usual competance (i.e. sadly little) and in chasing the cat to interrogate it, they run across a kunoichi. Kiba changes track mid-bluster and attempts to turn on the charm, Kiba style (i.e. brag about how great and important he is.) The girl seems to lap it up (pun intended). I'd wonder why this particular girl would catch Kiba's eye over any of the others, but she sounds suspiciously like Hinata, which makes a lot of sense, doesn't it, given Kiba. (Consolation Hinata about matches up...)

    Anyway, she directs them to a mysterius bamboo forest, where the faceless beekepper lives. Shino is still feeling uncertain about his place. He doesn't have a driving ambition (even Kiba has that), so he wonders what he'll do once the team's broken up. He comes out of his reverie to find he's lost Kiba in the fog.

    The beekeeper tries to kill him (not very hard, and Shino easily waves it off) and then is like "oh, whelp, I tried, kill me now," and Shino is like, " no, seriously, I came to get some honey wine, look, I even have money, dude."

    The guy is like "okay, have some wine then BUT YOU'LL NEVER GET OUT AHAHA!" See, this jutsu feeds off your doubt, so entrapping you forever.

    (Tacit implication - Kiba is too dumb to have doubts, so it has no effect on him, and we see him wandering out shortly... *snerk*)

    There is a brief extensial crisis moment where the beekeeper tries to tempt Shino to stay where his doubts exist but he's free of anything else, but Shino's like "nah, I'm good, I gotta get back for a wedding, because my friends are my way in life." And off he goes.

    Kiba is planning to write the girl letters. Poor lad.

    More Roachy-runs-from-bugs. I... SERIOUSLY, this whole time, SHINO was the secret anti-Orochimaru weapon? That's just... Hilarious. (There MUST be fanfic of this, surely...?)

    Back at base, Iruka finds Shino entertaining the three kids rather easily. And... when he say "and the reason is" THEY ACTUALLY WAIT EXPECTANTLY FOR HIM TO CARRY ON HIS SENTENCE rather than just talking over him like everyone else does, oh my FRAG! (I'm now wondering if these three will be his first genin team...?) Anyway, Iruka suggests maybe he should be a teacher, since he's seems good at it, especially dealing with the difficult kids. Shino replies well, it's not like at least two of his friends aren't the most difficult kids to deal with, so yeah...



    The Outcome of the Secret Mission

    Kakashi is struggling with this whole mission thing - apparently he DIDN'T have a cunning plan, and it's killing him. He really doesn't want to leave anyone out.

    (Can I just say, Hokage REALLY suits him, honestly, he is like the best boss ever. Despite all the stress, he seems about as carefree as we've ever seen him in himself.)

    Iruka, meanwhile, can't compose his message, since he's not sure where he fits. He doesn't feel he's quite right as Narutos teacher, nor does he fit right as a friend, like Gaara. (True enough.) Which means Konohamaru keeps trying to collar him as Kono needs his video message for HIS present.

    Hinata meets up with the girls, apparently it's been a while since they've seen each other (the heck has Hinata BEEN)? Sakura nearly gives things away; stopped only just by Ino (poor Tenten, surrounded by idiots) - random Orochimaru cameo! - and then Kiba nearly does shortly after, and Hinata is many things, but dumn isn't one of them and she starts to get suspicious.

    (I'm sorry I kind of love that one of the biggest series villains has been reduced to literal comic relief at this point, it's just so hilarious!)

    Kono eventually overhears Shizune and a returned Tsunande talking (Kakashi went off for a nap to clear his head) about the issue. He, of course, runs and blabs to the rest of them (and of course, Hinata overhears that). She's decidedly upset, because her friends don't want her to be upset, so they decide (starting with, of course, Naruto's Actual Best Friend Shikamaru) they will take guard and mission duty that day, and Hinata only just now realises what a big thing her weddng is.

    She runs off to apologise to Kakashi, who delightfully fails to disemble for a few moments before she tells him she knows. Kakashi, of course, tells her not to worry and they are ABSOLUTELY going to do this and that it's his problem.

    Coming back to his office, he finds the mob there, and they say their cunning plan is to have shifts, so they can all take a bit of time to be at the wedding.

    (Really, it was that simple?)

    Kakashi swears that law is going off the books. Tsunade pops up to point out, that, well, that law was an old one for a different time, y'know, during the period immediately after the great war (so this is ALL her fault, not that anyone calls her out on it), but that, y'know Kakashi is the bloody Hokage, so he can do what he damn well likes.

    And what he damn well likes is to make sure that EVERYONE attends the whole wedding (I mean, the shifts idea wasn't that bad...?) and he WILL find a way, because that's his job as Hokage.

    Iruka runs across Hinata, who looks down, and delightfully IMMEDIATELY assumes Naruto has done something wrong and starts apologising and babbling, until the increasingly bewildered Hinata actually burst out laughing.

    They have a chat, and Hinata reflects that perhaps she just hadn't realised that marrying the literal savior of the planet might not be a sort of small affair, and this is for everyone, not just her and Naruto; though Iruka points out that, actually, it still kinda is.

    But she does feel better, so Iruka goes to see Kakashi and explains.

    And in doing so, gives Kakashi a brainwave. Kakashi is so excited that he leaps over the desk and grab Iruka's hands, because the Iruka/Kakashi shippers needed something to go out on too, pahahahaha!

    So the idea is simple - get the OTHER kage to send some dudes for security. (I mean... Duh?) Gaara is, of course, ludicrously happy to oblige (having talked it over with the other kage previously - they might have offered, but they didn't want to overstep). We finish with Kakashi's second request - film a video message for Naruto (damn, Kono, I bet this mission is doing him well in terms of travel and meeting and greeting!)

    Cue hijinx from Kankoro and sand waves as Gaara is embarrased being put on the spot...



    The Message

    And here we are, at the finale.

    Iruka flashes back to the very first episode, still struggling with his message.

    He's still procratinating as the day draws nearer, not even now going to Ichiraku's.

    After another day of dealing with the children, he manages to roll a succession of natural ones cooking his dinner, and at that moment Naruto chooses to arrive at the door. He wants to ask Iruka something, but after ramen and maybe something to drink, since he's nearly out of time being single. Iruka, of course, grabs him and drags him off to Hinata's intent on making him help her. (Naruto's comment about how he ought to get married seemed to have hit home a bit...!)

    As they head there, it eventually comes out that Naruto really wanted to ask him something - to play the part of his father at the wedding. (Appropriately, since he was just Dadding the hell out of Naruto.)

    Iruka, of course, is both stunned and deeply touched and agrees. (He waits until Naruto is out of sight before bursting into tears.) This neatly solves his message problem too...

    He meets with Hinata before the day, seeing her staring at The Swing. She is grateeful for him being the father (Naruto's apparently been procrastinating on asking him for ages), and Iruka's expression when SHE calls him father as well is priceless. He tries and fails to provide some pennies towards the wedding, but Hinata laughs at his expression, saying it's just like her father's. (I don't think I've ever seen Hinata so happy, perhaps unsurprisingly.)

    The big day arrives, and we get a montage of everyone's well wishes (including Orochimaru (ahahaha!) and GHOST NEJI CAMEO in Team Guy's because Neji is frickin' awesome and mere death can't stop him, ahahahaha!) Iruka falls straight into Dad mode and his message is basically "Naruto is an idiot, Hinata, so you'll have to watch him like a hawk, Naruto, don't you screw this up," and, honestly? Yeah, it's pretty perfect; Kono agrees with me, too.

    One by one, the wedding guests arrive. Ebisu is embarrased that Kono put more money in than him, B gets over-excited at meeting Kankoro and Gaara again and A punches him into a tree. Guy and Lee show up walking in on their hands (a ever-suffering, waterfall-tear crying Tenten following haplessly behind with the wheelchair) and then then immediately start using dumbells with their legs, becuase of couse they do. Oh, Tenten, what do you have to put up with... A saint you are.

    Kunerai and Mirai meet with Kiba and Shino. Kiba is going on about how he's going to explain the history of the Senju to Naruto and Kurenai is like "maybe run that past me first?" They are both taken aback when Shino spots Mirai trying to have a pony-ride on Akamaru and deftly ends up getting her to have a Shino ride instead. (Apparently, all the girls missed that one, didn't they? Typical for Shino it's only at the last episode he gets to do something that would have likely rocketed his popularity among the ladies...!) Actually, in all seriousness, it's fun to see Shino being so out of his shell. Notably, though the glasses are still there - there is no hood; he's not hiding in the shadows anymore.

    Temari accuses Shikamaru of planning to hit on the single female friends of the couple - which I suppose it a legitimate complaint since he technically IS, as he grabs her hand and drags her around (she goes as red as Hinata ever did). Ino wonders to Sai if this is a surprise to everyone else, and Sasi says it's probably as much as one for him and her being an item.

    Chouji, meanwhile spies the love of his life - the giant wedding cake. Oh, Chouji, never change, mate!

    Sakura gets a hawk with a single kanji on it, which again, would be nice to know what it says. I mean its obviously from Sasuke, but it would have been nice to see.

    Kakashi and Iruka have a chat - Iruka's still a bit nervous, since he's not got a good idea of what to say at the toast and they have a chuckle.



    And we then cut to Hinata, standing next to Naruto, as it is close to time. Hanabi and her father are there, and so proud of her. Naruto asks her is she's ready, and they walk hand-in-hand into the light and into the end.



    A nice conclusion. Not as hilarious as the three previous episodes, but to be fair, after fifteen years, they're allowed to be a bit sentemental, it's thoroughly earned this time.



    And there it is. The end of an oddessey - for the time, anyway - that started one day while I was incapacitated and caught a random episode one day, and despite not knowing what was going on, was interesting enough to keep me coming back for the few days - and onwards. Through the several years of fanfiction that comprised the vast majority of my daily reading for several years (until finally displaced by MLP for some years and only then because a lot of the writers jumped ship), though Naruto Abridged and LK's parody of the parody, through the couple of years I lapsed (with only a few fanfics keeping the fire burning low) to picking it up again - to the Sekkou class in 3.Aotrs and to Shiuke Ryushin, the cleric/monk "ninja" who just want's to be a big hero someday (and at level 16 now, he's probably there!); hell even to the design of the Jalyrkieon fleet (initially the "kunai" fleet)... Naruto has been a major an influence for over a third of my lifetime, joining the likes of Pokémon (before and during) and MLP (after and during).

    Will I watch it again? Maybe someday, though the sheer amount of it is the main preculsion, though I know now to maybe skip through some of the bits!

    It has had its highs and its lows, but overall, the former beats the latter; the way it handled character death is the best of any media I've ever experienced (though the pacing and flashbacks left much to be desired); it left us with an excellent, expanded ensemble cast. Worth noting that Naruto has almost no screen time at all in this last season of his own titualar show - and has been the case before, it doesn't MATTER, because all the other character are so good.

    It has been a fun ride, and one that I wouldn't have traded anything for.



    I hope that most of you have enjoyed vicarously (or at least tolerated!) my endless blithering reactions about it here (most of my lot aren't anime fans or are not as bothered, so you guys are the only ones I could talk at it about!), long after the rest of you have seen it. (And for those of you that didn't? Well, you get now to have a Bleakbane-free experienced to talk about Boruto, at least for a good while!)

    *tips helmet*

  25. - Top - End - #1075
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Naruto IX: [Epilogue Intensifies]

    I'll be honest I'm glad I didn't watch the Naruto anime because I just wanted it to end at that point, manga wise.

    I am very happy to hear of all the wonderful and awful things Orochimaru did with his freedom. It's so good.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •