New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Rules

1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Forgotten Rules

That would make sense except for market price being affected by things with a shelf life. I allow my players to sell things at full price if they set up a market stand in a place where there may be a market for the particular item and spend the time to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    That would make sense except for market price being affected by things with a shelf life.
    The context to which I'm responding is spellbooks. By default, spellbooks last essentially forever in good conditions (as do magic items of almost all sorts). Yeah, if you're selling bushels of apples or something, there's a lot less waiting involved - there's a pretty solid relationship between the cost of an item and how hard it is to sell (lower-value items are easier to afford, so they're purchased more readily... chat with a realtor sometime about how long they go between sales, then talk to a car salesman with the same question, then talk to a furniture salesman with the same question, then the person sitting behind the deli counter - the realtor will often go weeks to months between sales... and be working on several properties; the person on the car lot will talk to a lot of people in a day, but rarely make more than a small number of sales in a week; the furniture person is liable to make a few sales a day; meanwhile, the person behind the deli counter loses track of sales per hour around lunchtime in most cases).
    I allow my players to sell things at full price if they set up a market stand in a place where there may be a market for the particular item and spend the time to sell it.
    Do you have a system for how long it takes? I'd be inclined to figure out what they'd make with Profession(Salesman) (or related) checks over a period of time trying to sell the item, and when that reaches half the value of the item they're trying to sell, they get full market value for it.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

There's a rule for the inverse of energy drain, giving you a "positive level". As far as I know, it was never actually used by any monster.
    Marshal of the Eternal Legion PrC (Necromancer-Marshal Hybrid)
    Traveler in the Infinite Night PrC (Shadow Plane Burglars)
    Dimensional Legionnaire PrC (Tactical Teleporters)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Half price is what adventurers get when they're selling relatively quickly to move on to the next conquest. Market price is what the guy who spends six years with the item sitting on his shelf collecting dust gets for being patient and waiting for the adventurer that actually is willing to part with that price because he wants it right now.

Same goes for wizard's spellbooks. The 50 gp per spell level is what they charge when the wizard who needs a particular spell tomorrow drops by... you know, after six months of nobody having enough to rent a peek.
    The spell market is more in the service sector than the merchandise sector.

I don't see any reason wizards in a college or academy wouldn't charge the same to any apprentice, acolyte, or student or colleague from a different department. They're obviously not going to bother with cantrips unless some SotAO half-caster stumbles onto campus but otherwise a lack of homogeny amongst the wizards there creates a potential market that any wizard would be a fool to ignore, given the costs associated with wizardry. You make scrolls and rent your book to anyone interested because you need every shiny copper on which you can get your arcane mitts. You then spend pretty much all of it on research materials and renting other wizards' books to expand your knowledge. You also trade spells one-for-one with any wizard offering the opportunity.

That or you go adventuring and use the obscene profits from that to fund your studies.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #185

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Do you have a system for how long it takes? I'd be inclined to figure out what they'd make with Profession(Salesman) (or related) checks over a period of time trying to sell the item, and when that reaches half the value of the item they're trying to sell, they get full market value for it.
    The system takes into account city size (you divide time by size rank of city). You can do a haggle (diplomacy), gather information, or profession (merchant). DC for selling is 10 for every 1000. Something that's 50,000 is 500. It's a cumulative total, so as soon as you hit the dc, it's then sold. Can make one check per item type per day (within reason). If you have 16 +1 longswords, you can only make a check on 1 of them at a time.

Divide the check (then round up to the nearest 1) as follows:
    Thorp 0.5 (double the time)
    Hamlet 1
    Village 1.5
    Small town 2
    Large town 2.5
    Small city 5
    Large city 6
    Metropolis 8

The above 500 in a metropolis would be 63 DC, which is easily doable in a few days. It gets drastically harder as the place gets smaller. I also don't allow players to stack ridiculous bonuses to skills, so that abuse isn't a thing.
    Last edited by LTwerewolf; 2016-03-03 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by asnys View Post
    There's a rule for the inverse of energy drain, giving you a "positive level". As far as I know, it was never actually used by any monster.
    OK that one is totally new to me - where on Oerth/Toril/etc. is it buried?

Very nice find.

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post

Very nice find.
    I believe it is in the glossary of MM3+

edit: Nvm, it's not in those. I know I've seen it but can't remember where...
    Last edited by zergling.exe; 2016-03-03 at 04:46 AM.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    I believe it is in the glossary of MM3+

edit: Nvm, it's not in those. I know I've seen it but can't remember where...
    Bastion of Broken souls' Soul Totem artifact does the positive level thing. There may be others?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

9. - Top - End - #189

RogueGuy

The rules for selling items are under the heading "selling loot". As far as I am aware there are no rules for selling items that you did not loot. ie, no selling spells, starting equipment, or any items that you craft, without DM approval.
    I play dwarf mode: Play to win, never be sober, and always die horribly despite everyone's best efforts (DM included).

I have a blog now! I make no claims to be that fool on that hill, but I do like to think I think the same way. Check it out for some of my more nutty thoughts.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post

Very nice find.
    Called an energy charge.

And thanks.
    Last edited by asnys; 2016-03-03 at 09:35 AM.
    Marshal of the Eternal Legion PrC (Necromancer-Marshal Hybrid)
    Traveler in the Infinite Night PrC (Shadow Plane Burglars)
    Dimensional Legionnaire PrC (Tactical Teleporters)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ace rooster View Post
    The rules for selling items are under the heading "selling loot". As far as I am aware there are no rules for selling items that you did not loot. ie, no selling spells, starting equipment, or any items that you craft, without DM approval.
    What if my wizards backstory involves killing and looting a rival apprentice then selling his spellbook to gain enough funds to leave town before the authorities come after him?

12. - Top - End - #192

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronikoce View Post
    What if my wizards backstory involves killing and looting a rival apprentice then selling his spellbook to gain enough funds to leave town before the authorities come after him?
    So you are basically saying that your backstory says that you have more money, so you should start with more money? If you can make that fly with your DM, you should probably get a pig as a mount. If the DM ran a solo session with you beforehand then this would be fine, and grant ~300gp just like any other CR 1 encounter.

The point is that you are only guaranteed to be able to sell stuff that the DM has given you. This is rarely relevant, but means that about 95% of wealth cheese does not work RAW.

Oh, and while I'm at it, Fabricate is limited to one material, which cannot change. This means that it cannot do any crafts that require mixing, heating, cooling, hammering (if this changes the material, which it often does) or assembling items that need parts of more than one material.
    I play dwarf mode: Play to win, never be sober, and always die horribly despite everyone's best efforts (DM included).

I have a blog now! I make no claims to be that fool on that hill, but I do like to think I think the same way. Check it out for some of my more nutty thoughts.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ace rooster View Post
    So you are basically saying that your backstory says that you have more money, so you should start with more money? If you can make that fly with your DM, you should probably get a pig as a mount. If the DM ran a solo session with you beforehand then this would be fine, and grant ~300gp just like any other CR 1 encounter.
    I think he means he got his spellbook (a class feature) by killing an NPC and stealing said NPC's spellbook (backstory). It's a pure case of refluffing.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's one I had forgotten until today: you can't Sneak Attack a creature that has Concealment, from whatever source.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

That would make sense except for market price being affected by things with a shelf life. I allow my players to sell things at full price if they set up a market stand in a place where there may be a market for the particular item and spend the time to sell it.
    In one game I allowed the PCs to make Diplomacy rolls to try and improve the prices on the market. Now this is dangerous I know, but they were all Dwarves who has dumped Cha and not invested any ranks here. When one guy got a negative result I ruled that he had talked himself into paying over the odds for one item.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    I think he means he got his spellbook (a class feature) by killing an NPC and stealing said NPC's spellbook (backstory). It's a pure case of refluffing.
    I thought he was saying that he got himself an extra spell book via his backstory - just to sell for more cash. Personally I'd cancel this out with a debt or something just to balance the starting resources. Now there's nothing wrong in doing this sort of thing in game, just not before we start.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

16. - Top - End - #196
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    In one game I allowed the PCs to make Diplomacy rolls to try and improve the prices on the market. Now this is dangerous I know, but they were all Dwarves who has dumped Cha and not invested any ranks here. When one guy got a negative result I ruled that he had talked himself into paying over the odds for one item.
    Ever read Soul Music by Terry Pratchett?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ever read Soul Music by Terry Pratchett?
    Nope

π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

18. - Top - End - #198
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Nope

Glod Glodson is your dwarf right there

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

If you claim your character is from an region of Faerun you can choose between getting extra 100gp or race & region dependent stuff (some of which is really nice: master work weapons or armor, scrolls, 300gp) you get extra known languages and additional bonus languages. It's a nice power boost for beginners adventurers.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I thought he was saying that he got himself an extra spell book via his backstory - just to sell for more cash. Personally I'd cancel this out with a debt or something just to balance the starting resources. Now there's nothing wrong in doing this sort of thing in game, just not before we start.
    I intended it to mean how I acquired my base Spellbook. So you would only start with a single Spellbook but that single Spellbook was acquired through conquest and could therefore be considered loot.

I personally wouldn't use this in any capacity other than interesting story background. I mean I don't play D&D as a merchant simulator so that Spellbook is needed so that I can go save the world on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Chronikoce; 2016-03-04 at 12:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    If you claim your character is from an region of Faerun you can choose between getting extra 100gp or race & region dependent stuff (some of which is really nice: master work weapons or armor, scrolls, 300gp) you get extra known languages and additional bonus languages. It's a nice power boost for beginners adventurers.
    And +2 K(Local) [The region]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evasion
    A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.
    Note: being helpless don't prevent you from making your normal Reflex save, but to use Evasion... Nope!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Barbarian in the Playground

From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm --
    Class-Related Languages
    Clerics, druids, and wizards can choose certain languages as bonus languages even if they’re not on the lists found in the race descriptions. These class-related languages are as follows:

Cleric
    Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal.

Druid
    Sylvan.

Wizard
    Draconic.
    ... Are there any non-core classes that do this?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

AFB, but doesn't Dragonfire Adept and/or Dragon Shaman (possibly in errata) give Draconic as a language option? Or maybe as a bonus language, not 100% sure...

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by asnys View Post
    I see it in my Monster Manual 3. I really wonder what creature was supposed to be able to give players positive levels now. Anyone know someone who worked on the book who could comment?

Similarly, the bard ability Inspire Greatness gives the party 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10). This feature seems to have been generally soft-banned from the game since I haven't seen that mechanic in any other books.

Quote Originally Posted by rrwoods View Post
    From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm --

... Are there any non-core classes that do this?
    Raptoran Cleric level 1 racial substitution gives Auran as a bonus language.
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2016-03-10 at 10:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    AFB, but doesn't Dragonfire Adept and/or Dragon Shaman (possibly in errata) give Draconic as a language option? Or maybe as a bonus language, not 100% sure...
    Dragon Shamans can choose Draconic as a bonus language regardless of their race.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Polymorph doesn't work on Undead or most Constructs as they only work on Living Creatures.
    Last edited by torrasque666; 2016-03-16 at 12:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Polymorph doesn't work on Undead or most Constructs as they only work on Living Creatures.
    Except Polymorph any object which lets you give a rock multiple HD by turning it into a manticore.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Except Polymorph any object which lets you give a rock multiple HD by turning it into a manticore.
    Different target line. Probably should have rephrased as druids without a con score can't use wild shape without a feat.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Different target line. Probably should have rephrased as druids without a con score can't use wild shape without a feat.
    Well it looks like we also found that druids can share wildshape with others without any extra abilities.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.