New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

mad The Blastmage (Class in 30 minutes, PEACH)

Our next explosive entrant to the class in 30 minutes, it's the blastmage!

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st +0 +0 +2 +0 Armour Casting, Blast of Power 1 1 — — — — — — — —
    2nd +1 +0 +3 +0 2 2 — — — — — — — —
    3rd +1 +1 +3 +1 3 3 1 — — — — — — —
    4th +2 +1 +4 +1 Advanced Learning 4 4 2 — — — — — — —
    5th +2 +1 +4 +1 Recall Magic 0lvl, Blast Focus 5 5 3 1 — — — — — —
    6th +3 +2 +5 +2 Advanced Learning 6 6 4 2 — — — — — —
    7th +3 +2 +5 +2 Recall Magic 1st 6 6 5 3 1 — — — — —
    8th +4 +2 +6 +2 Advanced Learning 6 6 6 4 2 — — — — —
    9th +4 +3 +6 +3 Recall Magic 2nd 6 6 6 5 3 1 — — — —
    10th +5 +3 +7 +3 Blast Focus, Advanced Learning 6 6 6 6 4 2 — — — —
    11th +5 +3 +7 +3 Recall Magic 3rd 6 6 6 6 5 3 1 — — —
    12th +6/+1 +4 +8 +4 Advanced Learning 6 6 6 6 6 4 2 — — —
    13th +6/+1 +4 +8 +4 Recall Magic 4th 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 1 — —
    14th +7/+2 +4 +9 +4 Advanced Learning 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 2 — —
    15th +7/+2 +5 +9 +5 Recall Magic 5th, Blast Focus 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 1 —
    16th +8/+3 +5 +10 +5 Advanced Learning 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 2 —
    17th +8/+3 +5 +10 +5 Recall Magic 6th 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 1
    18th +9/+4 +6 +11 +6 Advanced Learning 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 2
    19th +9/+4 +6 +11 +6 Recall Magic 7th 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 4
    20th +10/+5 +6 +12 +6 Blast Focus, Advanced Learning 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5

Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
    The blastmage’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) Χ 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
    Blastmagi are proficient in all simple weapons and with all types of armour and shields (except tower shields). Armour does not inhibit a blastmage's casting.

Spells
    A blastmage casts arcane spells which are drawn from the blastmage spell list, and can cast any spell he from it without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a blastmage's spell is 10 + the spell level + the blastmage’s Charisma modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a blastmage can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day: the number given on Table: The Blastmage plus bonus spells per day if the blastmage has a high Charisma score. Blastmagi know all spells on the blastmage spell list of a level they can cast.

Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a blastmage need not prepare spells in advance, and can cast any spell on the blastmage spell list at any time given a spell slot with which to do so.

Armour Casting
    Blastmagi have long used armour as part of a sacred tradition to attempt to inhibit the side effects of their magic. It didn't work, but the blastmagi did discover that armour doesn't inhibit any of their other magic either. Blastmage spells are not subject to arcane spell failure.

Blast of Power (Su)
    Blastmage spellcasting is dangerous, as much to the wielder as anyone else. A blastmage wishing to cast a spell other than a cantrip while under duress - such as when in combat - must roll a concentration check (DC 10 + spell level*3) or suffer a blast of power. Sometimes suffering a blast of power is fun or even useful, so a blastmage needn't take the concentration check to prevent one.

To resolve a blast of power, roll 1d6 per level of the spell on the following table, treating your caster level as the caster level at which you cast the offending spell for the effect:

Roll Effect
    1 Sparks of energy deal 1d3 electricity damage to creatures within 30 feet.
    2 You Catch On Fire. If you have the Controlled Immolation feat, have fun.
    3 You create water at your own caster level over your own head.
    4 You light your own nose.
    5 The winds within 1 mile suddenly pick up by 1d6-1d6 miles/hour.
    6 You polymorph into a random creature on the Summon Monster I list
    7 You levitate straight up at maximum speed.
    8 Every creature within 4d6*5 feet falls prone.
    9 Each creature within 4d6*5 feet is teleported 10 feet in a random direction.
    10 You web your own location
    11 Creatures within 4d6*5 feet are confused for one round.
    12 You polymorph into a random creature on the Summon Monster II list
    13 Dispel magic as an area dispel over yourself.
    14 You daylight your own nose.
    15 You sleet storm yourself.
    16 You are held as per sepia snake sigil but for minutes, not days.
    17 You fireball yourself.
    18 You polymorph into a random creature on the Summon Monster III list
    19 You black tentacles your own location.
    20 You ice storm yourself.
    21 Giant vermin on nearby vermin but you can't control them.
    22 You wall of fire in a ring around you.
    23 You shout at the creature you just targeted, and the area is a 10 foot sphere if that was you.
    24 You polymorph into a random creature on the Summon Monster IV list
    25 Mind fog on yourself.
    26 Teleport 1d100 miles in a random direction (no chance of failure)
    27 Cone of cold in random direction.
    28 You flame strike yourself.
    29 Waves of fatigue in a random direction.
    30 You polymorph into a random creature on the Summon Monster V list
    31 Disintegrate the 10-foot cube you're standing on.
    32 All water within 4d6 miles freezes as freezing sphere.
    33 Blade Barrier in a ring around you.
    34 Acid fog yourself.
    35 Drop a wall of iron on yourself.
    36 You polymorph into a random creature on the Summon Monster VI list
    37 Plane shift to the plane of fire.
    38 Plane shift to the hells.
    39 Plane shift to the abyss.
    40 You reverse gravity on your own location
    41 Waves of exhaustion in a random direction.
    42 You polymorph into a random creature on the Summon Monster VII list
    43 You greater shout at the creature you just targeted, and the area is a 10 foot sphere if that was you.
    44 Incendiary cloud starts on your location and moves in a single random direction.
    45 You earthquake yourself
    46 You put a whirlwind on yourself which remains stationary unless you concentrate to move it.
    47 Sunburst yourself.
    48 You polymorph into a random creature on the Summon Monster VIII list
    49 Disjunction yourself but items are only suppressed for 1 round/level if they fail.
    50 Meteors from meteor swarm land 4d6*5 feet away from you in a random direction.
    51 Roll 4d6 twice and combine
    52 You cast prismatic sphere
    53 Roll 2d6 four times and combine.
    54 You polymorph into a random creature on the Summon Monster IX list
    55 Hellball on yourself.
    56 Dragon knight but you can't control it.
    57 You cast rain of fire.
    58 Verdegris on yourself.
    59 Cast let go of me
    60 Roll 4d6 4 times and combine.

Advanced Learning
    From 4th level, and every 2 levels after, you can add a new spell to your list, representing the result of personal study and experimentation. The spell must be a sorcerer/wizard spell which deals damage in an area and of a level no higher than that of the highest-level spell you already know. Once a new spell is selected, it is forever added to your spell list and can be cast just like any other spell on your list.

Blast Focus
    Every fifth level, the blastmage learns a new method of protection from blasts of power (see the class feature above). These are taken from the list below:

Defensive Posture: Take 1 less damage/level from blasts.
    Saving Grace: +1 bonus/2 levels on saves against blasts.
    Nudge fate: You can add or subtract 1 from the roll.
    Push fate: You can reroll a single die.
    Topple fate: You can reroll all of the roll, or none of it.

The blastmage can apply any number of these. Suppose a blastmage with nudge, push and topple fate rolls 3, 5 and 6. The blastmage could change the roll from 14 to 13. Or, the blastmage could re-roll the 6, and if it's still another 6, nudge it down. Or, the blastmage could reroll the 6, then if it's another 6 re-roll the whole thing, and then nudge the result. If that blastmage also had Saving Grace, the blastmage would get a bonus on the save, if any.

Recall Magic (Su)
    At 5th level, and every 5th level thereafter, the blastmage gains the ability to regain a spell slot as a standard action. However, doing so automatically provokes a mishap from a spell slot three levels higher at the blastmage's maximum caster level.

Blastmage spell list:

0lvl: Acid Splash, Create Water, Flare, Light, Ray of Frost.
    1st: Burning Hands, Colour Spray, Faerie Fire, Magic Missile, Obscuring Mist, Shocking Grasp.
    2nd: Acid Arrow, Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind, Knock, Pyrotechnics, Shatter, Sound Burst, Web, Wind Wall.
    3rd: Call Lightning, Confusion, Diminish Plants, Explosive Runes, Fireball, Fly, Lightning Bolt, Sleet Storm, Spike Growth, Stinking Cloud.
    4th: Black Tentacles, Dimension Door, Flame Strike, Ice Storm, Shout, Solid Fog, Spike Stones, Wall of Fire, Wall of Ice.
    5th: Call Lightning Storm, Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, Control Winds, Interposing Hand, Mind Fog, Overland Flight, Telekinesis, Teleport, Wall of Force, Wall of Stone, Wall of Thorns, Waves of Fatigue.
    6th: Acid Fog, Blade Barrier, Chain Lightning, Circle of Death, Disintegrate, Fire Seeds, Forceful Hand, Freezing Sphere, Repel Wood, Sympathetic Vibration, Wall of Iron.
    7th: Control Weather, Delayed Blast Fireball, Grasping Hand, Prismatic Spray, Reverse Gravity, Greater Teleport, Waves of Exhaustion.
    8th: Clenched Fist, Earthquake, Fire Storm, Incendiary Cloud, Prismatic Wall, Repel Metal or Stone, Greater Shout, Sunburst, Whirlwind.
    9th: Disjunction, Meteor Swarm, Prismatic Sphere, Storm of Vengeance.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2016-02-21 at 02:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Blastmage (Class in 30 minutes, PEACH)

I'd probably allow it in my games. Seems fun and flavorful, if limited. I'd need to study the spell list more, but I wonder if it exceeds tier 3. I'd probably replace the Sorcerer with this class, honestly, with the ability to add a little tiny bit of customization to the spell list, because I've always thought that magic should have critical fails like attacks, but I wouldn't like the spell list as is. I don't think it's strictly better than sorcerer, but it seems more fun.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The Blastmage (Class in 30 minutes, PEACH)

Interesting bu seems very much like a warmage.
    Just more limited, since your class does not have advanced learning.

Pretty fun though... And something that would fit well with for example
    the concept of warhammer fantasy orc shamans.

I would be very surprised if this class is Tier 2.

4. - Top - End - #4

I do quite like it, but I would add an advanced/eclectic learning feature, and it could use a few more features generally, even if they're ribbons. Furthermore, the mishaps will just stop happening by a certain point, as the minimum concentration check will quite quickly catch up with the DC (though I suppose this is probably the intention)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Fun fact: I set the thread icon to completely by accident and only just noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj View Post
    Pretty fun though... And something that would fit well with for example
    the concept of warhammer fantasy orc shamans.
    Go here. Be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    I do quite like it, but I would add an advanced/eclectic learning feature, and it could use a few more features generally, even if they're ribbons. Furthermore, the mishaps will just stop happening by a certain point, as the minimum concentration check will quite quickly catch up with the DC (though I suppose this is probably the intention)
    I should probably put the check higher than the check to cast defensively, which high level casters do in their sleep.

I should probably add more features, yeah. Grumble grumble moan groan, gimme a moment.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Fun fact: I set the thread icon to completely by accident and only just noticed.
    Eh, seems the appropriate expression for a blaster.

I should probably add more features, yeah. Grumble grumble moan groan, gimme a moment.
    Back to work, churl!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Master creator Jormengand! Where do all the non core spells on mishap list come from?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoli View Post
    Master creator Jormengand! Where do all the non core spells on mishap list come from?
    They're epic, because they can only be set off by trying to cast an epic (or recover a seventh-level) spell.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The Blastmage (Class in 30 minutes, PEACH)

Go here. Be happy.
    I know about your excellent warp mage class.
    But given the unpredictable nature of orc shamans in the early days of warhammer,
    this class seems more appropiate to represent orc shamans :-)

I concur that your class should have advanced learning as I also hinted earlier :-)

And more class features.

The class seems like an interesting mix of wildmage and warmage :-)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I like this class. It could use some advanced / eclectic learning, as others mentioned. You could probably add one at every dead level from 4th and up.

Recall Magic (Su)
    At 5th level, and every 5th level thereafter, the blastmage gains the ability to regain a spell slot as a standard action. However, doing so automatically provokes a mishap from a spell slot three levels higher at the blastmage's maximum caster level.
    What happens if you roll more than 60? At level 20 you'd be rolling 23d6, so it's very likely. Unless you mean 3 levels higher than the blastmage's maximum spell level?
    Awesome Edward Elric avatar by gurgleflep!
    Let's Watch Steins;Gate!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    I like this class. It could use some advanced / eclectic learning, as others mentioned. You could probably add one at every dead level from 4th and up.
    Mm, maybe.

What happens if you roll more than 60? At level 20 you'd be rolling 23d6, so it's very likely. Unless you mean 3 levels higher than the blastmage's maximum spell level?
    It's the spell slot three levels higher (than the one you're recovering) at your highest caster level (for example, if you create water on yourself, to work out how much you create).

12. - Top - End - #12

Blast focus could use some more clarity. If I understand correctly, it's meant to be an ability you can use on the damage you receive from "blasts" used on you. Is it just automatic, as a free action which can be done when it isn't your turn, or does it take an immediate action? And what counts as a blast? Just spells on the blastmage spell list? AoE spells? Any spell doing hp damage? Some combination of the above? And what about nonmagical effects, like alchemist's fire? Is the blast of power a blast (the name suggests so, after all)? If so, if I use blast focus on it and end up fireballing myself, can I also use blast focus on the fireball?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    Blast focus could use some more clarity. If I understand correctly, it's meant to be an ability you can use on the damage you receive from "blasts" used on you. Is it just automatic, as a free action which can be done when it isn't your turn, or does it take an immediate action? And what counts as a blast? Just spells on the blastmage spell list? AoE spells? Any spell doing hp damage? Some combination of the above? And what about nonmagical effects, like alchemist's fire? Is the blast of power a blast (the name suggests so, after all)? If so, if I use blast focus on it and end up fireballing myself, can I also use blast focus on the fireball?
    Ah, it's only meant to be used against Blasts of Power, hence how most of them change the roll on the table.