New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Jillian = exp whore?

I always assumed Jillian's attack on Stanley's units on page 10 was caused by her williningness to help the alliance by eliminating more of Stanley's units.

However, now that we know warlords get experience and level after winning battles, what if Jillian simply could not pass the opportunity to croak a weak stack for XP?

If that is her mentality, it would certainly explain how she got her relatively high score of 9 in leadership.

Discuss.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Jillian = exp whore?

Quote Originally Posted by quick_comment View Post
    Discuss.
    I would perfer that you not give orders until you can show a superior military rank. whatever that means.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I Never knew she had a 9 in leadership. and dude, shes not a Whore.
    Last edited by BanjoTheClown; 2007-06-17 at 05:07 PM.
    Luso Avatar by Beleth

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoTheClown View Post
    She has a 9 in Leader Ship? And shes not a Whore.
    She has a nine in something...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    She has a nine in something...
    something what?
    Luso Avatar by Beleth

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoTheClown View Post
    something what?
    A stat, rank or other numerical equivalent... there are a lot of those in the game also Webinar and Dora have a 5 and 2 respectively in the same thing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Whore" has more than one definition. And the last thing in this list is how "whore" is being used here.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

A stat, rank or other numerical equivalent... there are a lot of those in the game also Webinar and Dora have a 5 and 2 respectively in the same thing.
    I think That would be the warlord bonus, which to an extent seems to be proportional to their rank within military forces... however, it may not be determined by Level... Though we should probably ask someone whose played the warlords game, since that's the game erfworld supposedly most reflects and would be able to tell us if Levels improve the bonus... i think i recall someone mentioning something about it, i think saying that 9 was the highest bonus a warlord could get... ofcourse, Erfwolrd can ofcourse can make exceptions for many of these things

and Frankly, Thinking of the look on Jillian's face as she was croaking that forest unit, and her general nature, i think it's not about experience, but just about croaking enemies... The exp is just a nice bonus =P
    Last edited by slayerx; 2007-06-17 at 06:05 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think you can make much of comparisons between Erfworld and other games. It's not like the creators deliberately patterned the world after a particular game or anything. They may have been artistically influenced by any number of games and things, but saying something like "9 is the max in game X and therefore it is the max in Erfworld" just doesn't hold up IMO. There's no reason to draw that parallel.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    I think That would be the warlord bonus, which to an extent seems to be proportional to their rank within military forces... however, it may not be determined by Level...
    It's been too long since I played the turn-based version of Warlords.

In the RTS version, "hero" units (and generals) have combat stats in addition to providing a morale bonus for surrounding troops. Given what we've seen of Jillian so far, we haven't seen any exceptional leadership--but we have seen her prowess in combat.

With that in mind, I think she was indicating her combat ability (9) was not only greater than what Webinar could hope to beat (5), but higher than Webinar and his girlfriend combined could manage (5+2=7). So in effect, she was saying "You'll have to stop me by force, and you can't do that."
    My evil dreamteam:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgore View Post
    Given what we've seen of Jillian so far, we haven't seen any exceptional leadership--but we have seen her prowess in combat.
    Good point.
    Last edited by cheese_sdc; 2007-06-17 at 07:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jillian is Belkar.
    Belkar is Jillian.

They kill simply for the sake of killing for experience.
    Since they go out of their way to kill for almost negligible amounts of experience, one can reasonably say they simply kill for the sake of killing, without being far from the truth.

Both sides are correct; one implicitly, one explicitly.
    -2 Cursed Keyboard of Typos.

Official Commentary by

13. - Top - End - #13
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

I always assumed Jillian's attack on Stanley's units on page 10 was caused by her williningness to help the alliance by eliminating more of Stanley's units.
    I always assumed it was because Jillian likes to fight.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-06-17 at 08:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, she is a barbarian. I think experience is just one of many reasons Jillian appears to enjoy fighting.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2007-06-17 at 08:36 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

So is it a correct interpretation of that comic page, then, to say that Warlords are the _only_ units which can level up?
    Work in progress.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatum479 View Post
    So is it a correct interpretation of that comic page, then, to say that Warlords are the _only_ units which can level up?
    Eh... I think all units level. Just how they level would be different. For example, I'm thinking basic units level by croaking enemies. They kill something, they gain exp for killing it based on a level to experience ratio that you find in most RPG type games.

I believe warlords are different though. Notice, in the comic Stanley does not say "units" wont level, but Warlords wont. I believe warlords gain experience/levels through successful engagements lead. I mean, their a leader class unit, making them markedly different from other Erf units. So how do leaders typically get better/promoted? By winning battles. :)

Sound reasonable?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Leadership, Warlordishness and Jillian

Hmm... Just my thoughts - Vinny was really concerned about 3 Warlords. Then he mentioned dwagons. If there's multiple emergencies, the biggest one usually gets mentioned first, or should.

If the leadership bonus applies to all stats (Move Hit Combat Defence) that could really really add up. Basic stack bonus maxes at eight, meaning 1 point in leadership can be equal to 28 extra points.

Which makes a mercenary warlord with a leadership of 9 (Jillian) worth more. And to get that high up (5 being the next highest bonus we know of), one must indeed run to battle. Jillian's motivation may not be to get more money as a mercenary, but I doubt she minds the extra schmuckers, royal or not.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Maybe everyone is right...maybe it is a little bit of everything, picture this..."leadership" may not always come from "tactician" style leadership but more "look how heavy your combat strength is " leadership.

A master strategist or a strong 'tank' would/could inspire a "bonus" on the Field in different ways. Maybe the game rule doesn't account for the REASON why you have a bonus but just the fact that you are having the bonus to begin with.

There is obviously military tacticians (sit back in garrisoned places) and battle field tacticians (Jillian, and the rest of the gang that carry swords), maybe we just don't know there is any difference just yet? or maybe I am just horrible wrong
    BFJT

Woot Woot

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Discuss.
    I would perfer that you not give orders until you can show a superior military rank.
    Nah, that wasn't an order. People were going to discuss it no matter what, that what threads are for. No one would state something to blatantly obvious. He was simply trying to open the Discussion tag, and forgot the [].

Shadowy Goodness since 1892.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Death, your friend the Reaper View Post
    Now we head around under the cover of night looking for threads that will most likely be locked, directing people to the new members thread, and fighting crime.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Nah, that wasn't an order. People were going to discuss it no matter what, that what threads are for. No one would state something to blatantly obvious. He was simply trying to open the Discussion tag, and forgot the [].

1. I was making a joke.
    2. I know and i do dislike it when people put 'discuss' at the end of a post.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Why would someone dislike such a tempting invitation?

Discuss.

Official Commentary by

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Moik View Post
    Why would someone dislike such a tempting invitation?

Discuss.
    Moik, for that comment, you have just one a free trip to the moon...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sweet! That's very generous. Can I take the cash equivalent instead?

Official Commentary by

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Moik View Post
    Can I take the cash equivalent instead?
    Nope... its accept the trip or not...