Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Streets of Atalya Volume Two: Tentacles

Firethena
    Spoiler
    Show
    hmmms to herself as she helps Vodette lace up anything that needs it. "They're nowhere near invincible. Tough and stealthy, yes, but every bit as mortal as us. You just have to find them, and that is hard. They can show up in the body like poison or a disease to certain spells, but most of the older ones know how to mask even that. It boils down to watching people of abberent behavior, and since they usually pick isloated people without many friends, they almost always go undetected."

She smirks at Vodette's run down of her companions. "Aye, more intellectuals among your group than usual. More my type, really, but I don't blame you for preferring the guys with the rapiers. Horacio's cute, and Terry never takes his eyes off you."

She winks at Vodette as she walks back into the living room with her.

Arriving just in time to see Kumoru pull out something that might be his spleen and examine it, Firethena stops dead.

"... okay, nobody warned me about the zombie werewolf."
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

2. - Top - End - #122

Horacio

"Oh, uh, almost forgot. Firethena, Kumoru. Kumoru, Firethena.

"Kumoru is Gaudemus's brother. He used to adventure with him and Nightfang before that demon lord stuck Kinslayer right through him. He didn't get his soul sucked, though; Kinslayer says Gaudemus grabbed ahold of him and willed him not to eat Kumoru's soul. So, according to Kumoru, his soul ended up wandering for a century through... what was it, outer planar nightmares? And eventually he returned to his body and dug himself up. We met him at the Church asking the High Priest about Gaudemus.

"Tahlion says he doesn't register as negative-charged or positive-charged, so he's a neutral undead. I think."

Horacio waits a moment for that to sink in.

"Another mystery in this whole mess to unravel before it's done..."

Horacio looks at Firethena again.

"I also remembered a few contacts that might know a thing or two about these creatures as well. They could help us. I want you to come along to meet one of them, Firethena; an old friend of mine. Between your experience and her knowledge, I think we can start outsmarting these creatures. Do you mind, Firethena? Do you have anything we should look into here before we leave?"

Horacio pauses a moment.

"And when did you start researching these creatures?"
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

3. - Top - End - #123

BlackDragon

Kumoru puts his spleen back and waves. Firethena puts a hand to her forehead for a moment, sighs, shakes her head, and waves back.

"It's... nice to meet you Kumoru. I hope you can appreciate how odd it is to be talking to you. Gaudemus... spoke about you only rarely. I gathered that your passing caused him a great deal of grief... seeing you walking around... in whatever state of decomposition... well, I don't know what to think."

Kumoru nods. "Yeah, I imagine it's kind of like waking up and finding out that you've been dead for a century and everyoneyou used to care about is either dead or being manipulated into fatal situations by brain eating tentacle monsters."

"... touche..."

So what is this, sob story night? Hey Terry, whine about how you're still a virgin.

Kumoru seizes Kinslayer by the handle, rips it off of Terry's back, winds up, and hurls it into the wall, where it sinks in to its crosshilt and remains there, quivering.

... ow...

Firethena stares for a moment, then shakes her head and turns to Horacio. "I'd be pleased to meet any friends of yours who would be likely to have something to add to the conversation, though you'll have to give me a few moments to put some actual clothes on. As far as the skinwearers go, I've had some hundred odd years to sit around and research whatever topics happened to interest me at the time..."

She leans down and taps Horacio playfully on the nose. "You'd be surprised what I know."
    Last edited by Magnus_Samma; 2007-07-03 at 02:05 PM.
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

4. - Top - End - #124

Horacio

Do you think she- could she already- you didn't tell her, did you, Tahlion? If she knows what I think she knows already, should I be in awe or scared?

Horacio nods and blushes a bit.

"Actually, the skinwearers themselves... I doubt she knows much about them. However, she's had experience with similar things. And these dreams we seem to be having. And possibly a trick or two up her sleeve we could use. At least she can look at this whole mess from a new angle, maybe help us find some clue we've missed. Or give us advice on what to do next."

Horacio puts his clothes back on and pulls his cloak around himself.

"But we've spent enough time talking here. It's getting late, and we'll have much to discuss. If any of you have anything you want to grab from here for the night, do so now. Before we head out, be sure to put on a nice dark cloak that you can look shady in. I'll have to lead the way, but someone should be hanging back and watching for trackers; Firethena, Tokugal, Dae, can you take care of anti-detection and set up some telepathic link?

"Oh, and uh, could you please get Nefertari's gift quick, Firethena? I know it isn't really important right now, but you gotta remember the little details."

Horacio smiles and hums to himself as he waits for everyone else to finish preparing.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Terry is torn between cracking that he met his first before Slayer was a pocketknife, and the realization that Vodette's RIGHT THERE, MAN.

As a result, he's comically unprepared for Kumoru's reaction, much to his glee. It takes him several minutes to recover from hysterical laughter.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

Huh. Never could spot the virgins in the crowd. I really need to work on that.

Ah, Firethena, it's good to see you again. I trust that all went well in the other room?

I was wondering. It's clear that you are well acquainted with the, ah, sociopathic blade in the wall. I was wondering if you could tell us if it looks or seems different, if at all, from the last time you saw it?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Vodette

Vodette jumps a little at Terry's late and awkward laughter. She raises and eyebrow at him, and then decides that: yes, that was funny. She laughs. She answers Dae's question to Firethena for her.

Yup all spic and span. Told you guys you had nothing to worry about. So we're going to meet this friend of yours Horacio? Is there anything we have to worry about when we meet her? Don't look her in the eyes sort of thing. Will we need sushi this time around?

She chuckles a little bit. It was funny to her and that was all that mattered.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failyn Sunswift, Human Monk
    Init +7 HP 40/40 Bloodied 20 Healing Surge 10 (0 used /7)
    AC 23 Fort 18 Reflex 22 Will 17 Speed 6
    Str 16 (+3) Con 10 (0) Dex 20 (+5) Int 8 (-1) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 10 (0)

Spoiler
    Show
    If all the world is a stage....I want better lighting.

Nobody suspects the penguin
    Both avatars by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #128

Horacio

"No no, that's another friend. Just treat this one with respect. Perhaps ask her for advice. She was a mentor of mine... in some things more important than fighting & skulduggery."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

The wizard can't help but smile as he returns Horacio's look.

Of course. Who wouldn't show respect to a senior official of another's religion?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #130

Horacio

Horacio grins.

"I never said she was a member of my religion."

11. - Top - End - #131

Tokugal Ardolin

"If she's a reliable source, that's good enough for me. There's enough strangeness going on around here that I'd welcome any information we can get."

"While I'd love to go through the house again--now that we have more information about what we're looking for, we might recognize something of importance--I'm guessing that now is the best time to make our visit. We'll come back later, then? Perhaps while we run our 'errands' tomorrow."
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

12. - Top - End - #132

BlackDragon

I can't imagine she suspects anything... it seems to me she's just feeling playful. Apparently that was a really good dream.

Firethena takes a moment to study Kinslayer's hilt as she passes on her way upstairs. "Hmmm, the eye is new- though I always did think that the particular design in the spot looked odd. And he didn't actually talk much before, mostly moans and screams. I always figured he was masturbating a lot in some bizarre way we couldn't figure out. And Vodette is clean as far as I can tell, she uses this fruity soap that makes her smell like spring flowers or something. Anyhow, I'll be glad to help you out with some telepathy or whatever, just let me put on some pants... be right back!"

She skips out the doorway and up the stairs. Kumoru leans over to murmur in Horacio's ear. "Uh, your religion doesn't have a problem with zombies, does it?"

Whatever Horacio's response, Firethena re-emerges about ten minutes later wearing a long loose blue robe over what appear to be leather pants. She's holding a small bag that seems to vibrate slightly in her hand.

"Here's for Dai to get himself some sphinx lovin'. Be careful with it, I'm not sure but I think there mere sight of its ineffable geometry is capable of causing madness in some beings, and I haven't been able to work out what can or can't theoretically handle it."
    Last edited by Magnus_Samma; 2007-07-04 at 04:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Horacio

I don't think any dream you have while being dominated by a *shudder* mind flayer can be very good...

Horacio whispers back to Kumoru. "Kumoru, one of our head priests is a vampire... or so I've heard. They really don't care. Hells, they'd probably give you a full medical examination for a thousand gold... not a bad idea, really. We should think about that."

Horacio blinks a moment when Firethena explains what the gift does, and whistles in awe.

I wonder if I could handle it. Maybe I should take a- no, not now.

"That's... not bad. A bag of Limbo shapes?"
    Last edited by Mike_Lemmer; 2007-07-04 at 05:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Horacio looks at Firethena & thinks for a moment.

"Almost forgot, Firethena. You might want to bring enough for an overnight stay. It'll be late by the time we're done, and it's safer than an inn... probably safer than here, except for- well, just keep an eye on your coin pouches. We are wandering into a haven for rogues."

Horacio chuckles and waits for the others to prepare and finish casting defensive spells before he leads them out. As he waits, he softly hums a melancholy tune:

"There was once a lady so perfect,
    The world couldn't bear her sight,
    So she slipped behind reality's veil
    One dark and night.
    Now she flits between the shadows,
    Unseen, yet touching all.
    Guiding those who search for hidden truths
    And hear the silent call..."
    Last edited by Mike_Lemmer; 2007-07-04 at 05:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135

BlackDragon

"Actually it's a hypercube. ...I think. It might actually be a tetraplatohedronosphere and then we'd all be in trouble because that's theoretically the molecular structure of antimatter. But I'm sure that's just an old mage's tale. Anyhow, overnight stay? Jolly good, I'll grab my toothbrush."

Kumoru, meanwhile, is helping Terry get Kinslayer back out of the wall, assuming he wants it back. "Hey, as long as we're gonna be staying the night, can I go grab my stuff from the inn? That keeper didn't strike me as anything like reputable, and I'd like to make sure my other axe is safe."

16. - Top - End - #136

Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal looked askance at Firethena. "Really? That's what you have in there? Aw, why'd you have to tell us? Now I'm dying to look at it."

"I guess that's sorta the point, huh?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

Horacio

Hypercube? A tetroplato-what? Sounds like some complex combination lock. And antimatter? Doesn't sound good...

Horacio nods in response to Kumoru's question.

"Sure. I won't mind another false trail on this run. Just watch for anyone trying to track you from the inn."

Horacio turns back to Daewell.

"That reminds me, do you still have Gaudemus's books with you or do we have to pick those up as well?"
    Last edited by Mike_Lemmer; 2007-07-05 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Question for Daewell

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Vodette

Vodette looks blankly at Firethena as she attempts to describe what is in the bag. Vodette glances down at the bag and scratches her head.

A hypercube? What is antimatter and how can it make you go crazy? I'm gonna just leave it alone. I like being sane.

She looks up and notices that Horacio is about as clueless as she is. She catches the halflings eye and shrugs her shoulders.

I think that basically means "don't touch it". So we're not going to look through the house while we're here? Okay, I guess we could do it when we take Firethena back....though I was hoping that she'd come with us from now on. So where is this place we're going Horacio?

(OOC: Okay, so this thread has not been showing up at all in my User CP and I was just to stupid to check it. My apologies on the anti-posting over the last few days. I'll just start checking for this thread...but every other one is working for me.....strange.)
    Last edited by boxboy582; 2007-07-05 at 11:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Both avatars by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #139

Horacio

"Come with us from now on?" Horacio blinks.

It would be nice having her knowledge and power backing us up, plus I wouldn't have to worry about her getting jumped while I was away.

Yes, because dragging her into the middle of a nightmare cult and barbarian hordes commanded by a potentially-insane archmage is
    much less riskier.

"Well, it's her choice. She could help us either way. But it might too, uh, dangero-"

Horacio shakes his head.

"If she thinks she can handle it, she can handle it. Do you want to come along with us, Firethena, or see how you can help us from Atalya?

"As for this place we're going... it's my church. I'll explain more once we get there."

20. - Top - End - #140

BlackDragon

Kumoru gives Horacio a thumbs up and heads out, promising to return within the hour. Firethena smiles at Tokugal's comment.

"Aye, I imagine if curiosity can kill a cat, it might do well to impress a sphinx. Actually, Tokugal, I imagine you and Dai and Daewell have the best chances of looking at the thing without goling bonkers, magic itself is the act of telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down, so I've found it kind of relaxes your mind's perspective on somethings... or maybe I'm just so close to crazy it takes something bigger than an object that shouldn't technically exist to phase me. I dunno."

She stops short at overhearing Horacio and Vodette's conversation. She doesn't answer- a sad look crosses her face, and she looks across the room at Kinslayer, biting her lip.

21. - Top - End - #141

Horacio

Horacio glances between Firethena and Kinslayer.

That struck a nerve...

"Firethena?"

Horacio walks up to Firethena.

"Well, no need to decide that right now. We have plenty we have to take care of before we leave Atalya. But we have an hour to wait right now. Firethena, would you mind showing me some of the items you've crafted? Nightfang said you had a knack for it, and it's been a while since I've seen something new. Maybe we can talk a bit while you show me the labs?"

Bloody hell, subtle conversation was never my strong suit...
    Last edited by Mike_Lemmer; 2007-07-05 at 04:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

Daewell looks back a bit abstractly at Horacio.

His books? No, they're safely back at the lab. I'd hoped to have some chance to examine them in greater detail tomorrow.

He's still going over the techniques of a hypercube.

Well, naturally, Fenndean postulated the existence of such objects occurring naturally, but as far as I know, no one has had any success in reproducing these in laboratory conditions. Fascinating. For a woman who initially seemed to present herself as a simple housekeeper, this Firethena is a remarkable find. Why she hasn't been more active in academic circles is lost on me.

I am intrigued by your process, madam. I would be very interested in studying with you at some time. And there are few practitioners in this city to whom I would admit as much.

Looking over at Kumaru and Terry, Daewell briefly regrets the need to free the blasted sword from the wall at all. But this is a house that has already had a demon demolish the basement and an illithid invade and dominate the owner. Security was not all it might be.

At Horacio's mention of a tour of the labs, Daewell perks up.

Labs? Oh, well, if we're not leaving right away, I'd love a tour.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2007-07-05 at 04:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

Horacio

Horacio glares at Daewell for a moment.

Cripes, what do I need to do to talk with Firethena in private, develop a sense of modesty?!

"Uh, you mind if I take a look first, Dae? I'd like to talk with Firethena about them, and... well, old rogue code, we don't talk about anything potentially larcenous in front of Cudgelers."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

The ever-oblivious wizard nods in what passes for understanding.

Of course - you want to discuss...larceny. Why don't I go on ahead to the laboratory, and the two of you can discuss thieving in the kitchen.

He turns to Firethena with a bland smile.

My apologies. Please...enjoy the stealing. Er...Dai, I believe that you established some wards in the basement before we left. Anything I should know?

He listens, then bows and removes himself to the basement labs.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Halfling in the Playground

"It's dimensonally warded and sacred to Corellon. So no teleportaton or blasphemy, I guess...

...I'll personally make sure nothing happens to you okay?"

[follows]

26. - Top - End - #146

Horacio

"Thanks Dae."

Horacio waits until Dae's down in the basement, then rolls his eyes.

"Cudgelers."

Whew...

Horacio turns back to Firethena and grins awkwardly.

"I... don't suppose you have any other labs I could see? I think we've all gotten a good glimpse of the basement."
    Last edited by Mike_Lemmer; 2007-07-05 at 05:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Tokugal Ardolin

"With your permission, Firethena: could I check Gaudemus' living quarters? Any place he'd be likely to display his keepsakes?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Vodette

Vodette looks at each party member, in turn, as they request to go to a section of the house. Not wanting to be left out, Vodette decides to pipe in.

Can I just waunder around? Could you point me in the direction to any cool things or swords or interesting stuff?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Both avatars by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #149
    Bugbear in the Playground

Terry grins as he unseats Slayer from his new home.
    "'slong as you don't go alone. We should keep in groups of at least two."
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

30. - Top - End - #150

Tokugal Ardolin

He shrugged. "You could come with me, Vodette."