New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Streets of Atalya Volume Two: Tentacles

(The DM will reply in detail once he can find the &%$!ing map of Gaudemus' house. >_>)
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

Meanwhile, in the basement, Daewell chats with Dai.

This seemed to be a kind of sanctum for Gaudamus, and there were several texts here that proved of some relevance to the situation. I'm hoping to get a better look at what he stocked, and what else he might have been writing about. Especially now that I know what Gaudamus' own handwriting looks like, it'll be faster to spot his own work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Focusing detect-o-vision around the room, looking for anything radiating that isn't Dai's abjurations. Failing that, Search (1d20+9=22)

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

Vodette

Vodette nods in agreement with Terry.

Yeah that is a good idea. Our first trip here and we found some demon...who knows what else we could find on trip number 2.

Okay Tokugal, I'll go with you. Where were you going? Guademus's quarters or something? Could be interesting

With a shrug, Vodette walks over to Tokugal and waits for directions from Firethena.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failyn Sunswift, Human Monk
    Init +7 HP 40/40 Bloodied 20 Healing Surge 10 (0 used /7)
    AC 23 Fort 18 Reflex 22 Will 17 Speed 6
    Str 16 (+3) Con 10 (0) Dex 20 (+5) Int 8 (-1) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 10 (0)

Spoiler
    Show
    If all the world is a stage....I want better lighting.

Nobody suspects the penguin
    Both avatars by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #154

BlackDragon

Firethena pauses at Horacio's question. "Well... there's not a lot of my work in the labs... I mostly played around in my room, when I did... honestly I hadn't been up there in years before a few days ago... if you really want to see it, I can show you around, I mean, there's nothing really all that interesting up there..."

She blinks at Horacio and Daewell's conversation. "I don't really have much to offer in a conversation about larceny... but... whatever turns your crank. I wouldn't worry, Daewell, just avoid the scythe trap and don't disturb the interdimensional sinkhole and you should be fine."

A smile crosses her face at Tokugal and Vodette's questions. "All the really cool stuff is in the gallery or the basement, but he did keep a few keepsakes in his quarters... I suppose there's no reason not to let you in there now. Just go to the third floor and straight down the hall... well, Horacio and I are going almost the same way, I'll just show you."

She leads them to the stairs, pausing to go downstairs and turn off the scythe for anyone who's going down there. Then she leads them to the third floor, which opens into a long hallway with three doors along each side and one set of large, relatively ornate doors at the end of it. She leads Horacio to the second door on the left.

"Here's where we're going. Gaudemus' room is the one all the way at the end. Have fun trying to get through the lock. Oh, and if you go into the dressing chamber watch out for... well, just remember the password is 'hastur'."

She grins mishievously as she pulls the halfling into her own chambers and closes the door.

The inside of Firethena's room is
    Spoiler
    Show
    oddly normal- there's a bed, a desk, a wardrobe, and some other miscellaneous odds and ends that all look like a perfectly normal elven wizard's quarters. Except for the insanely lifelike mechanical cat curled up on her bed and licking itself, the painting on the wall that appears to be of an animated lightning storm, and the tall, dark, handsome, naked man strolling around.

Firethena SLAMS her hand down on something on the desk and the naked man dissapears. And yes, she is blushing now. To her eartips.

Dai discovers
    Spoiler
    Show
    that there isn't a whole lot in the basement that -doesn't- radiate magic. XD Is he looking for anything in particular?
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

5. - Top - End - #155

Horacio

Spoiler
    Show
    Horacio can hold in the chuckle for a second, then his sides burst. A half-minute later, he finally catches his breath and looks at Firethena, grinning mischievously.

"It's... been a while, hasn't it?"

Horacio is able to stifle that laughter after only a dozen seconds.

"Ohhh, it's- *wipes away a tear* -I needed a jolt like that."

There's still a grin on his face, but it's more subdued now.

"Heh, 'larceny'. He still expects me to be a base criminal, praise the gods. But I wanted to discuss something else."

He glances around as he climbs onto the bed and inspects the cat.

"You mind putting up any anti-scrying and detection spells you were going to now? I'm still a bit jumpy with everything that's happened today."

Once Firethena casts whatever anti-scrying spells she wanted to & Horacio's satisfied the room's clean, he looks at her and smiles sadly, petting the cat. When he speaks, his voice is melancholy, his eyes distant.

"Which part of it is harder, Firethena? Traveling with that sword, or seeing what's happened to Gaudemus after a century?"

Spot Eavesdroppers: 18
    Hear Eavesdroppers: 36
    Will Save to Discern Illusions: 26
    Search Cat for Hidden Compartments (w/o Breaking It): 37

Spot, Listen, Will, Search (1d20+17=18, 1d20+19=36, 1d20+10=26, 1d20+22=37)
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

...damn it, that didn't work the way I hoped.
    Terry sighs inwardly and heads to Gaudemus' room.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Halfling in the Playground

"Well, take point, my good man. I'm a decent wizard, but I've seen you work magic I know is firmly in the 'more advanced than I can do' camp, so I'm guessing you've got an edge on the theory side of things too."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

Vodette

Vodette continues down the hall until she gets to the door that Firethena said was Guademus's room. She looked down at the door lock and then at the others, and then back down at the door.

Well, how do we get in? Firethena just took the only person who could pick this lock into her room. Should we just go and ask Horacio to open it?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Both avatars by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #159

Tokugal Ardolin

"Hm. Let's see if I can take care of it. If not, we can call...Horacio sounds like he's occupied. Anyway, let's see if this works."

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Knock on the door.
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

Daewell blanches at Firethena's mention of the scythe trap and the interdimensional well, but thinks that he remembers where she put that release mechanism the last time she lead them down the stairs.

You're too kind, Dai, but I've seen you do some amazing things. Still, I'll do what I can, and appreciate having you along.

It seems that most of the objects here are enchanted - I'm especially interested in Gaudamus' own books, as well as any thing that might give us more information on the extradimensional creatures he was facing.

[spoiler]Focusing in first on anything with a strong or overwhelming magic aura, focusing first on conjuration, divination and transmutation magic, and conducting a visual examination of them. Then focusing in on thinigs with moderate auras, focusing first on the same schools.[/spoiler.]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #161

BlackDragon

In Firethena's room:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The elf quickly places her spells, and then proceeds to strip off Horacio's clothing and tackle him to the bed before sticking her tongue in his sit down on the edge of the bed and make a valiant attempt not to cry.

"To hells with the sword. It's been a hundred years. And he never contacted me. Not once. What does that mean? Did I do something? Does he blame me? Of course I was jealous of her, but I never would have done anything to hurt them. Did he... did he just forget?"

She pulls her knees up to her chest and lets her chin rest on them. "Am I so dull in comparison to her that he just stopped caring?"

The cat, which doesn't appear to have any hidden compartments besides a mechanical anus whose purpose Horacio can only guess at, puts a paw on her leg and meows plaintively in a garbled mechanical voice sort of like tiny gears grinding together. Horacio hasn't noticed any illusions besides the naked guy- what he's seeing is what he's getting.

At Tokugal's spell the doors fly silently open, revealing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A large and spacious bedroom, with thick, fluffy green carpet and a high ceiling covered in a fresco that depicts Ehlonna frolicking with a herd of unicorns. The walls are papered in a simple design of teal and blue stripes and a series of sconces must have given the room a romantic feel when they were lit. As it is, the opening of the doors seems to have triggered a Light spell recessed somewhere in the ceiling. The room is dominated by the king-sized canopied bed, still covered in rumpled bedclothes. Everything has a thin layer of dust, and there are more than a few cobwebs in the corners. A pair of wardrobes are sitting along the far wall, and the wall to the right features another, smaller set of doors which appear to be just barely ajar.

In the basement (wow these spoiler tags are getting tiresome XD):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daewell notices the msot overwhelming magical aura is still coming from the sinkhole- Dai's divine magic seems to be holding, but there's still a lot of conjuration enchantment centered on the spot. Aside from that, the biggest red flags are a bundle of what appear to be iron stakes of some sort sitting in the corner and something hidden under a pile of books and papers on the workbench.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Vodette

Vodette looks over at Tokugal and claps him on the shoulder. She gives him an approving nod and says good job. She takes a few tentative steps into the room. She looks like she's crouched and ready to jump out of the way of some invisible attacker. She looks around the room and stands up straight, turning to the others.

Well this is boring. Nothing really in here besides years of dust. Maybe there is something behind those doors. Anybody want to volunteer to be first?

She motions toward the door that is slightly ajar and she starts walking toward them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Both avatars by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #163

Tokugal Ardolin

"Hm. Still untouched. I guess it was too painful for Firethena to extend her duties here after the tragedy. You mind if I take a look around the room, before you disturb it, for anything that might be a clue to what happened?"

"That room--" he nodded toward the open doors "is probably the dressing room Firethena mentioned. I think she said the password was 'hastur.' I don't know what it's for; but I suspect that Gaudemus was averse to people poking about in his stuff."

It might also be a command word to a gift from Nightfang. Tokugal shivered and tried to concentrate on the search.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like a thorough Search would be in order. If applicable (although I doubt that there's much here that requires reconstruction), he will use the Investigate feat.

Particular interests:
    1) Anything that might shed light on Gaudemus' history, intentions, or late interests
    2) Anything that might indicate a change in routine/health/interests/lifestyle/etc. just prior to the birth/death
    3) Suspicious bloodstains on the bedsheets
    4) Indications of Aerin's activities in her late pregnancy
    5) Indications of Gaudemus' interests beyond magical/martial investigations
    6) Other details/clues that Tokugal wouldn't expect before having seen them

* Taking 20 for a check of 45
    * Checking things for traps before manipulating things (Tokugal has the Trapfinding class feature)
    * Starting in the main room, including (but not limited to) the bed, fresco, wardrobes, sconces, walls
    * Peeking through the doors that are ajar
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-07-09 at 03:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks! School of magic for both the stakes and the hidden thing?

Hmm. It looks like the most potent of the magic items are that pile of iron stakes, and something at the bottom of that pile of papers and books. I'd suggest that one of us have a look, while the other stays well back, in case there's some sort of tiresome explosion-thing. I'll start with the books, if you don't mind, Dai.

15. - Top - End - #165

"I don't want to disparage you... but if you're worried about things blowing up in our faces, I've got a good reaction time when it comes to these things. Diversity was our watchword when we were back in training, and you needed good reflexes to survive growing up as a street urchin anyway.

So, once I risk getting blown up, then ya look at it, okay?"

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

A bit of colour returns to Daewell's face.

That's...more than gracious Dai. You go ahead, and I'll cover you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stepping away from Dai. Reading a dispel magic to counter any effect that happens when he starts to work with the stuff.

17. - Top - End - #167

BlackDragon

Gaudemus' room:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kumoru has wordlessly followed Tokugal, Vodette, and Terry into his brother's room. He stands in the doorway, looking around thoughtfully, but isn't saying much. Tokugal discovers a number of things- a stain seems to have set into the bedsheet on the left side, though after so long it is impossible to tell what might have originally made it. There is a bedside table on either side of the bed, each one holding a small lamp and a book. The tome on the left table is an epic poem scribed in an obscure dialect of elven, while the book on the rightmost table is entitled "Zen and the Art of Greatsword Maintanence".

The two wardrobes each contain a few items of clothing- one features largely casual clothing sized for a tall man, doubtless for lounging about the house. The other is filled with maternity wear. There is little particularly telling about the decor, aside from the fact that the wallpaper is peeling in a few areas, revealing painted red walls underneath- given the tasteful and nearly femenine taste inherent in the present decor, it seems an even guess that it was altered shortly before or after Gaudemus and Aerin's marriage.

What really perks up Tokugal's investigative senses, though, is that the lock on the door that Firethena mentioned shows clear signs of being broken long before he came along with his knock spell, and trails in the dust on the carpet indicate that someone has been in the room more recently than a hundred years ago.

The most surprising thing about the room, however, is that when Vodette approaches the door to the dressing area, a skeletal hand reaches out of the slightly parted doors, grasps her right breast, and squeezes. From within, a hollow, raspy voice says "Honk honk." This is followed by several such voices laughing hysterically.

Basement:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The two objects light up with what is unmistakably conjuration magic. Investigating them, Dai discovers that the stakes are each about a meter high and each possessed of a ring placed in the middle and one at one end, the other end being sharp. The middle rings are joined by a long length of red cord, while the upper rings each sport a long folded paper tag of some sort. It seems the stakes are designed to mark out an area on the ground that would be roughly a six foot circle.

The other object turns out to be a small metal cube that seems to be composed of an insane amount of tiny interlocking jointed pieces, all of which are thickly inscribed with arcane runes. Neither object seems inclined to violently defend itself, and both are quite inert whilst being examined.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    The most surprising thing about the room, however, is that when Vodette approaches the door to the dressing area, a skeletal hand reaches out of the slightly parted doors, grasps her right breast, and squeezes. From within, a hollow, raspy voice says "Honk honk." This is followed by several such voices laughing hysterically
    Fricken hilarious! *honk honk*

Vodette

Vodette jumps and squeals at the top of her lungs. She flings the door open and reaches for her rapier in one graceful motion. She takes a few steps back and gives whatever is in the closet a few rather rude gestures. She calls them forward with her free hand and twirls her rapier around in the other. She's fuming and her face is beat red, more from the embarrassment of just being groped than actual anger.

Who did that? C'mon outa there and face me like a man. Think you can just grab me like that and get away with it?
    Last edited by boxboy582; 2007-07-09 at 11:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal was so engrossed in his search that Vodette's episode at the door startled him greatly.

"Wha--help!" He whirled and caught sight only of the skeletal hand as it retreated back into the darkness.

Following Vodette's lead, he whipped out his rapier and waved it around.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170

BlackDragon

In a white room with black curtains... wait, wrong reference, Gaudemus' room:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the doors to the dressing room are thrown open four skeletons, each glossy black in color, eye sockets illuminated by evil light, crouch, waiting, hungry and snarling. Though one of them seems to be looking at its right hand and muttering something about never washing it again. Further into the shadows of the room, two armored figures loom ominously.

21. - Top - End - #171

Terry rolls his eyes and steps forward towards them.
    "Hastur, you bloody perverts. Now apologize to the lady or I'll let Kinslayer have some fun with you, assuming there's anything left for him after her turn."
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

Tokugal Ardolin

Terry's intelligent response cut through Tokugal's surprise and brought him back to an even keel. He nodded appreciatively in the man's direction, but kept his eyes on the skeletons and shadowy figures.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173

BlackDragon

In Gaudemus' room:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The skeletons back off as Terry speaks the password, lining up along the sides of the room. It's relatively small- about the size of a large closet, and the walls are mostly composed of shelves and racks filled with clothing, boota, and miscellaneous accesories. The armored figures are just that- suits of armor. There are four armor racks and the first and second are occupied, the first by a bulky suit of mundane steel that has been painted red and silver. Instead of a helmet, there is a face-obscuring hood attacked to the gorget. The other suit is a work of art- metal painted glossy black and sculpted to hug the wearer's frame like leather, decorated with intricate runic designs and the occasional silver highlight. At the back of the room is a large desk. It has a raised platform in the middle of it that looks like it might have held a book once, but it is currently empty. On either side of the platform are several candle holders that now hold merely shapeless lumps of wax. All in all, it looks like a combination closet/armory/study of sorts, though the skeletons certainly add a macabre touch.

24. - Top - End - #174

Terry detects magic like a mofo.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

Nicely done, Dai.

Daewell steps forward to examine the stakes first, and then the cube.

I'd guess that the stakes are some kind of portable summoning circle. The cube will be more of a challenge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Staring long enough to determine what schools of magic are emanating from both.
    Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft, if that helps. (1d20+23=35, 1d20+26=27)

Hmm.

26. - Top - End - #176

Tokugal Ardolin

A fire lights in the elf's eyes. "Iiiiinteresting! After you, Vodette. I want to get a look at that desk over there."

Spoiler
    Show
    Similar search routine, again checking for traps before he disturbs anything. Taking 20 still gives 45.

He'll start with the desk, then move to the skeletons, then the armor and other accoutrements.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Vodette

Vodette eyes up the skeletons, not quite sure if they're going to jump back out and try and grab another handful. She takes a few cautious steps into the closet at Tokugal's encouragement. She uses the tip of her rapier to prod the skeletons a bit, just to make sure they're not going to jump out at her. She then starts to look around the room, looking for anything 'interesting'.

Strange room. Nothing extraordinary other than the skeletons. I was expecting....I dunno....more.

Spoiler
    Show
    She's using her trapfinding ability to give her the heads up on anything that might hurt. She's also on the look out for trap doors or any hidden doors. As far as anything 'interesting' is concerned, she's looking for any clothing, weapons, items, or armor that looks like it is special in any way. Maybe something out of place or something that doesn't fit in or just looks interesting. Take 20 for search for a total of 32
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Both avatars by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #178

"Reflexes of a cat... they exploded, but I was so fast, I threw them outside, watched them explode, and the brought them back in.

Okay, fine, so it was perfectly safe. So what do they do, anyway?"

29. - Top - End - #179

BlackDragon

In the basement:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (...isn't... isn't "school" like... the same thing I already told you? I could have sworn Conjuration was a school... Also, is Daewell touching the cube, and if so in what particular manner is he touching it?) The stakes are pretty darned mysterious- they clearly resonate conjuration magic, but studying them divulges no real clues as to their purpose or function. The cube is both more and less confusing- the markings upon it are clearly arcane writings, the same thing one would find within any wizard's spellbook, but the proliferation of markings upon even the relatively small cube is enough for hundreds of spells, and they markings are so small and so unsual that Daewell is hard pressed to guess at what they might do. One section is barely intelligable as something resembling a Plane Shift spell, but there are some strange additions to the usual formula that Daewell can't quite make out...

In Gaudemus' room:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The skeletons sidle away from Vodette and giggle a little, but make no move to grope her again. Somewhat closer inspection of the skeletons reveals them as human, or some species so physically similar to humans as to be indistinguishable as skeletal remains. They seem to have been painted black, and a discerning eye will notice various runes and arcane markings inscribed into the finish. The desk is untrapped, and the surface contains naught but the remains of the candles. The drawers contain writing utensils and parchment, as well as a number of scrolls, some of which contain arcane spells. The topmost drawer contains a fairly significant stack of what appears to be arcane "sketches" and notes. Just a casual glance tells Tokugal that Gaudemus was working on some kind of teleportation spell.

The hooded suit of armor detects as magical- it seems to possess a powerful masic ward against attack as well as a few more specific elemental enhancements. The black armor isn't enchanted, but there are a few items on the shelves that are- a feathered cap, a few rings, and a pair of finely crafted leather boots. Most of the rest of the clothing is a little worse for wear after a century of neglect and moths, but there are a few items that might catch Vodette's eye- a shirt that seems to be composed primarily of some sort of netting, some black leather trousers, and what appears to be a studded dog collar. With a chain. There are also a few tasteful sets of clothing in a slightly archaic but still fashionable style, and an unusual ensemble that looks like a silk robe and a pair of pleated trousers, all dark red with an image of demons doing battle with dragons embroidered on the back of the robe in black thread.

One of the skeletons spreads his hands in a helpful gesture. "Is there anything in particular you would like to try on?"

30. - Top - End - #180

"I'm sure you'd love that," Terry grumbles.
    "Not sure, but I do have some questions. And you still haven't apologized. In the meantime, though--

When's the last time anybody came in? Either here or the main bedroom.

Did Gaudemus ever bounce his ideas off of you? When did you see him last?

And what exactly are these--"
    Terry points out those items which radiate arcane energy, "--things? Do you know what they do specifically?"
    Spoiler
    Show