New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Bellator Arcana: The Eldritch Knight's guide

Man the Ek got like nothing in this book.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dragsaw View Post
    ...as if it needed anything. EK is one of the strongest subclasses out there.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dragsaw View Post
    Yeah not a whole lot. Shadow Blade is OK but probably not worth one of your non-Evo/Abj spells. Thunder Step is a really good level 3 EK spell though since you can do damage, teleport, and rescue an ally from melee all at once. War Wizard makes a good multiclass but not as good as Abjuration.
    Steel Wind Strike and Tenser's Transformation are really good for a high-level multiclass Wizard but again, high-level.
    Still, there are a couple cool new lower-level spells to play with.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CBAnaesthesia View Post
    Yeah not a whole lot. Shadow Blade is OK but probably not worth one of your non-Evo/Abj spells. Thunder Step is a really good level 3 EK spell though since you can do damage, teleport, and rescue an ally from melee all at once. War Wizard makes a good multiclass but not as good as Abjuration.
    Steel Wind Strike and Tenser's Transformation are really good for a high-level multiclass Wizard but again, high-level.
    Still, there are a couple cool new lower-level spells to play with.
    If you are going Sword and board Shadow Blade is phenomenal. It has finesse property does 2d8 damage and still is fully compatible with booming blade, so you could do(dueling fighting style) 4d8+14(assuming+5 mod)+1d8(+2d8 if they move) at level 8 which is an average of 36(44) damage a round which is competitive with a Greataxe build

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

If one were to have to build an EK with 1-2 levels of Wizard, but had to abide by PHB+1 book limit: Is WarWizard from Xanathar's Guide worth it over SCAG cantrips, and if not, just how good is /Wiz2 over /Wiz1?

My options seem to be:
    1) EK x/Wiz2 (War Wizard) - No SCAG Cantrips (seems worst, as appealing as WW is)
    2) EK x/Wiz2 (Div/Abj/Evo?) - +SCAG Cantrips
    3) EK x/Wiz1 - Give up school specialization for faster EK progression while retaining the goods from Wiz dip.

If it helps I'm building him with an emphasis on tanking and battlefield control. I'm a whore for cantrips (and bigger spell books) so I'm going Variant Human for Magic Initiate (GFB, Chill Touch; Find Familiar). I haven't really puzzled over the spell progression yet but am thinking of taking the Wizard level(s) at 6(-7).
    Last edited by Noumena; 2017-12-09 at 02:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Noumena View Post
    If one were to have to build an EK with 1-2 levels of Wizard, but had to abide by PHB+1 book limit: Is WarWizard from Xanathar's Guide worth it over SCAG cantrips, and if not, just how good is /Wiz2 over /Wiz1?

My options seem to be:
    1) EK x/Wiz2 (War Wizard) - No SCAG Cantrips (seems worst, as appealing as WW is)
    3) EK x/Wiz1 - Give up school specialization for faster EK progression while retaining the goods from Wiz dip.

If it helps I'm building him with an emphasis on tanking and battlefield control. I'm a whore for cantrips (and bigger spell books) so I'm going Variant Human for Magic Initiate (GFB, Chill Touch; Find Familiar). I haven't really puzzled over the spell progression yet but am thinking of taking the Wizard level(s) at 6(-7).
    I'm doing this exact same build. Variant Human, Magic Initiate (GFB, Frostbite, Find Familiar). I'm able to use any officially published material though, so I don't have to choose.

My advice is to go with the SCAG cantrips. Honestly, I can't imagine being an EK without GFB and BB. Especially with the EK's war magic (cantrip + attack) it's just the best.

Also, if you're going to take one wizard level, you might as well take two and pick up an arcane tradition. I'd personally take Divination and use Portent kind of like Indomitable since you might not get that until a later (see below).

I figured out the hard way that the level you decide to multiclass at is somewhat important. I'd recommend taking your two wizard levels after your 8th level in fighter (for War Magic and an ASI/feat). It puts off Indomitable and Eldritch Strike, but you get all those spells and your Arcane Tradition instead, as well as increasing your overall caster level.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quick idea: grab Toll the Dead after you have Eldritch Strike.
    Declare you are going to cast TtD, take your bonus action Attack. Now they are hit, make thr save for TtD at Disadvantage, and you pretty much ensure a d12 damage die for TtD.

This synergy is just too nice.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Noumena View Post

My options seem to be:

The SCAG cantrips are dramatically better for an Eldritch Knight than getting access to War Wizard (or anything else in SCAG for that matter).

Personally, my Eldritch Knight is currently up to Fighter 7/Wizard 2 (Abjurer), and I'm actually taking more levels in Wizard instead of Fighter till at least Wizard 5. I'm a Deep Gnome with the Svirfneblin Magic feat, so my Arcane Ward hit points (renewable by casting Nondetection over and over again) make up for the loss in hit points, and this will get me to some fun magic faster. The next interesting Fighter ability is the 3rd attack, but since I use Booming Blade and War Magic for a second attack most of the time I'm not terribly excited about the third attack.

IMO there are two things to be worried about for an Eldritch Knight build with a Wizard dip. First is picking up Ritual Casting from Wizard 1, and second is getting to War Magic when you hit Eldritch Knight 7. So my plan is Fighter 3/Wizard 1/Fighter 4-7/Wizard 2-5. After that I'm up in the air. Maybe an 8th level of Fighter to get another ASI, then whatever.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Pixie in the Playground

I currently am playing a 5th level EK and will be starting a new module (White Plume Mountain) and will level up to 8th level. This is definitely a fork in the road and I'm weighing a few different builds and would love to hear any feedback.

High elf, Fighter-5
    AC-19; hps- 44
    Str-12, Dex-18, Con-14, Int-14, Wis-12, Cha-8
    Weapon style: Dualing
    Equipment: +1 Rapier, +1 Shield, Studded Leather, Longbow, Wand of Lightning Bolts, 1st/2nd level scrolls
    Spells: 0- Flamebolt, Mage Hand, Ray of Frost; 1- Grease, Shield, Protection from Evil/Good, Thunderwave
    Feats/ABI: +2 Dex

Party
    Other PCs: Barbarian-5 (Wolf Totem), Paladin-5(Oath of Devotion), Warlock-4(Fiend,Pact of Tome)/Rogue-1
    The party is melee focused obviously. There definitely was a gap with area of effect and control spells, but I expect the Fiend Warlock will be taking Fireball or Wall of Fire. My wand of lighting bolts should also help.

Note, I only had access to PHB but will have access to Xanathar's guide for the 8th level build.

8th level build ideas
    • Fighter-8: feats- War Caster, +2 Dex or feat (Elven Accuracy, Sentinel, Mobility)
    • Fighter-7/Cleric-1 (War): feat- Elven Accuracy or Resilient (+1 Wis)
    • Fighter/Wizard (War Wizard): feat- War Caster

Fighter-8 seems like a safe choice.
    The cleric dip would add some nice buffs.
    I'm most torn over whether to dip into Wizard. War Wizard seems like a great fit with EK. But it feels like only 1-2 levels of Wizard is worth it, otherwise my PC will be outclassed by the other party members. It probably makes sense to strive for Eldritch Strike and 3 attacks vs. level 3 spells.

Regarding feats...
    Has anyone taken Elven Accuracy w/ an EK? This seems like great fit for a dex EK and with so many ways to gain advantage (hidding, Grease, Web, Shocking Grasp, and Pack Tactics- Wolf Totem).
    Is it possible for a pure fighter build to get by w/o War Caster? I've been doing ok w/ stowing my rapier after attacking when I wanted to cast Shield. If so, what would be the best two feats?

Thanks for any feedback!
    Last edited by FauxBeau; 2018-01-10 at 11:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by FauxBeau View Post
    I currently am playing a 5th level EK and will be starting a new module (White Plume Mountain) and will level up to 8th level. This is definitely a fork in the road and I'm weighing a few different builds and would love to hear any feedback.

High elf, Fighter-5
    AC-19; hps- 44
    Str-12, Dex-18, Con-14, Int-14, Wis-12, Cha-8
    Weapon style: Dualing
    Equipment: +1 Rapier, +1 Shield, Studded Leather, Longbow, Wand of Lightning Bolts, 1st/2nd level scrolls
    Spells: 0- Flamebolt, Mage Hand, Ray of Frost; 1- Grease, Shield, Protection from Evil/Good, Thunderwave
    Feats/ABI: +2 Dex

Party
    Other PCs: Barbarian-5 (Wolf Totem), Paladin-5(Oath of Devotion), Warlock-4(Fiend,Pact of Tome)/Rogue-1
    The party is melee focused obviously. There definitely was a gap with area of effect and control spells, but I expect the Fiend Warlock will be taking Fireball or Wall of Fire. My wand of lighting bolts should also help.

Note, I only had access to PHB but will have access to Xanathar's guide for the 8th level build.

8th level build ideas
    • Fighter-8: feats- War Caster, +2 Dex or feat (Elven Accuracy, Sentinel, Mobility)
    • Fighter-7/Cleric-1 (War): feat- Elven Accuracy or Resilient (+1 Wis)
    • Fighter/Wizard (War Wizard): feat- War Caster

Fighter-8 seems like a safe choice.
    The cleric dip would add some nice buffs.
    I'm most torn over whether to dip into Wizard. War Wizard seems like a great fit with EK. But it feels like only 1-2 levels of Wizard is worth it, otherwise my PC will be outclassed by the other party members. It probably makes sense to strive for Eldritch Strike and 3 attacks vs. level 3 spells.

Regarding feats...
    Has anyone taken Elven Accuracy w/ an EK? This seems like great fit for a dex EK and with so many ways to gain advantage (hidding, Grease, Web, Shocking Grasp, and Pack Tactics- Wolf Totem).
    Is it possible for a pure fighter build to get by w/o War Caster? I've been doing ok w/ stowing my rapier after attacking when I wanted to cast Shield. If so, what would be the best two feats?

Thanks for any feedback!
    I would recommend grabbing Absorb Elements. Similar to Shield, it's a reaction to taking damage(of the fire, cold, lightning, acid, and thunder variety) that grants you resistance until your attack(or the end of your turn), and you get 1d6 of damage type per level added to your next melee strike.

I would recommend grabbing War Caster, since advantage on your Concentration checks is amazing. You can also cast spells as an attack of opportunity(cantrips for decent damage), and you don't have to drop anything to cast spells.
    Going 2 War Wizard isn't necessary, but it is useful.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

@FauxBeau:

Multiclassing: if you're only going to level 8, don't multiclass. You'll miss out on 2nd-level spells, HP and one ASI doing that. You'll be fine. You've got a Wand of Lightning Bolts, to hell with Wizards!

War Caster: you can stow your weapon to cast without a problem. Thing is, you can't use your reaction for opportunity attacks that way, and enemies will love going through you with no difficulty. Also, if you want to cast Shield when an enemy attacks you, you won't be able to do it with your hands full. All of this without even mentioning advantage on concentration and opportunity attacks with Booming/Greenflame Blade.

Elven Accuracy: if you have an easy source of advantage (as you do), it's a good call. But +2DEX is also fine.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    @FauxBeau:

Multiclassing: if you're only going to level 8, don't multiclass. You'll miss out on 2nd-level spells, HP and one ASI doing that. You'll be fine. You've got a Wand of Lightning Bolts, to hell with Wizards!

War Caster: you can stow your weapon to cast without a problem. Thing is, you can't use your reaction for opportunity attacks that way, and enemies will love going through you with no difficulty. Also, if you want to cast Shield when an enemy attacks you, you won't be able to do it with your hands full. All of this without even mentioning advantage on concentration and opportunity attacks with Booming/Greenflame Blade.

Elven Accuracy: if you have an easy source of advantage (as you do), it's a good call. But +2DEX is also fine.
    We are playing Tales of the Yawning Portal, so 8th level is just one stop. We are in fact starting the next module at 8th level; I expect we'll get up near 15th level.

Yes, it does seem like War Caster is kinda a necessity if I want to be able to use reaction spells more effectively. Especially if I don't see the attack coming.

I'm a little worried about my Wisdom save, but maybe that's all the more reason not to multi-class and get Indomitable at 9th level. If I really want more spells, it's probably better to consider Magic Initiate than distract from my fighter progression.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Pixie in the Playground

SPELLS

Level 3 spell - suggestions
    • Charm Person - Good for social situations, and a few combat ones.
    • Disguise Self - This is not your trade, but I have yet to see a campaign where this is not good.
    • Expeditious Retreat - If you want to really rack up that speed.
    • Find Familiar - Scouting? Yes. Advantage on one attack per turn? Yes. Flavor? Yes. Archers must remember the familiar can cast touch spells for you.

Level 8 spell – suggestions
    • Hold Person – Discussed on Strategy.
    • Blur/Mirror Image – If you want even more dodginess, that’s the way to go. Mirror Image requires no concentration, but with Blur you can kill a 20th-level rogue all by yourself. Up to you.
    • Blindness/Deafness – Solid debuffing. With Eldritch Strike coming in two levels, you can attack them and Action Surge to give them disadvantage on the save.
    • Levitate – For archers to avoid melee. If you reach lvl14, swap it for Fly.
    • Misty Step – For extra mobility.
    • Shadow Blade - If you just want a damage increase, this is for you. If you already have a magic weapon, though, it's slightly less valuable.
    I'd like to see some more spells rated in the "any school" options at level 3 & 8. Such as

1st level- Grease, Hideous Laughter
    2nd level- Flaming Sphere, Web

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FauxBeau View Post
    I'd like to see some more spells rated in the "any school" options at level 3 & 8. Such as

1st level- Grease, Hideous Laughter
    2nd level- Flaming Sphere, Web
    The options are infinite, but you're better off sticking to those mentioned.

Grease is wadting your action to maybe trip someone, and that's not worth it. Tasha's only becomes good with Eldritch Strike, and I still wouldn't rate it higher than Find Familiar. Flaming Sphere is low damage at high levels, and Web has a terrain requirement to be 100%.

Those are good spells, but with your limited choices you're better off with the best.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Pixie in the Playground

The options are infinite, but you're better off sticking to those mentioned.

Grease is wadting your action to maybe trip someone, and that's not worth it. Tasha's only becomes good with Eldritch Strike, and I still wouldn't rate it higher than Find Familiar. Flaming Sphere is low damage at high levels, and Web has a terrain requirement to be 100%.

Those are good spells, but with your limited choices you're better off with the best.
    I was thinking Grease and Web specifically for granting advantage and providing some battlefield control. I replaced Find Familiar for Grease during levels 4-5 (the party Warlock got Find Familiar then), but honestly haven't used it much. My ideal scenarios of "choke points" didn't come up that often. But these spells still seem good if you can keep your foes in their area or prevent foes from closing to melee during the first round.

I don't feel like the terrain requirements are that stringent with Web, since many fights are in dungeon corridors and the Web can be layered on the floor. Also seems like good synergy to use War Magic to Firebolt a creature in the Web and still attack.

I do probably agree with you regarding Tasha's. And Flaming Sphere is probably only good against many weak foes or in a really long battle.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Making an EK myself right now. Dragonborn, lv8. Saw another topic on it and it seemed like a fun idea.

I'm allowed 2 Rares and 1 Uncommon.

For one Rare, I was really leaning toward a Wand of Fireballs. Its a very small party, and nobody wants to be a full caster, so something to deal some decent AoE would be good, I think.

Of course, a Flametongue Greatsword sounds pretty nice. If I take GWF Style, wouldn't the rerolls of 1s and 2s apply to the +2d6 Fire, since its from the weapon itself? (It was Errata'd to not work on Smite or Sneak Attack, but this would be directly from the weapon)

And for Uncommon, I was looking at either a Cloak of Protection or a Headband of Intellect.

Thoughts?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Making an EK myself right now. Dragonborn, lv8. Saw another topic on it and it seemed like a fun idea.

I'm allowed 2 Rares and 1 Uncommon.

For one Rare, I was really leaning toward a Wand of Fireballs. Its a very small party, and nobody wants to be a full caster, so something to deal some decent AoE would be good, I think.

Of course, a Flametongue Greatsword sounds pretty nice. If I take GWF Style, wouldn't the rerolls of 1s and 2s apply to the +2d6 Fire, since its from the weapon itself? (It was Errata'd to not work on Smite or Sneak Attack, but this would be directly from the weapon)

And for Uncommon, I was looking at either a Cloak of Protection or a Headband of Intellect.

Thoughts?
    Well, I don't know about you, but I'd take a Mantle of Spell Resistance over a Wand of Fireballs any day of the week. With high AC and advantage on (most) saves, you can be feared.

I'd rule that the 2d6 fire damage can also be rerolled, but I don't think my word is final.

I'd pick Flame Tongue, Mantle of Spell Resistance and Winged Boots for the items.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Hey, what are your thoughts on Thunder Step as a 3rd level non-evo/abj spell choice at 14th level? I'm considering taking it purely for those "holy balls, let me get you and myself the hell outta here and btw, here's some thunder damage" situations.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deathbydrumsolo View Post
    Hey, what are your thoughts on Thunder Step as a 3rd level non-evo/abj spell choice at 14th level? I'm considering taking it purely for those "holy balls, let me get you and myself the hell outta here and btw, here's some thunder damage" situations.
    I'd put it below Fly or Haste as a L14 spell, but I think it's pretty great, effectively combining a teleport that lets you help your party members with an improved Thunderwave. It's even better damage than upcasting Thunderwave to 3rd level - no push effect, but you don't need it if you're teleporting, obviously. Definitely not a bad pick. Maybe even worth swapping one of your other non-evo/abj spells for it, like Misty Step if you took that, but keep in mind it isn't as flexible as Misty Step either.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think the Mobile feat is incredible on EK. Booming Blade+Attack and take a step back or just use BB, run away and use the bonus attack on some other enemy. I think Mobile is the only way to make BB work regularly in normal combat and then it will even outpace 4 attacks at level 20 without GWM:

8d6+32=60 (20 STR and a +3 weapon) vs 4d6+7d8+16=61.5

Barely, but still. Much better at 3 attacks. Also, Mobile becomes even better with Fly, since you can effectively gain Flyby and become a real menace against melee opponents. It also becomes easier to kite people around with Ray of Frost if you want to be a real ****, harrassing enemies with Warding Wind by constantly sticking on top of them.

The main point is that Mobile might make War Magic a consistently useful trick at all levels and not something that becomes eventually worthless with extra attacks and good weapons.

21. - Top - End - #291

One combo that came up with talking about the Arcane Trickster (who can use it better, but it's applicable to Eldritch Knights, too) is using Mirror Image + Sentinel for a melee Eldritch Knight. Those two effects go together like chocolate and peanut butter. Force people to attack you or take Shadow Blade/GWM damage? If they do attack you, probably target an image, whereupon you get an extra attack? *chef kiss of fingers*

22. - Top - End - #292

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Deathtongue View Post
    One combo that came up with talking about the Arcane Trickster (who can use it better, but it's applicable to Eldritch Knights, too) is using Mirror Image + Sentinel for a melee Eldritch Knight. Those two effects go together like chocolate and peanut butter. Force people to attack you or take Shadow Blade/GWM damage? If they do attack you, probably target an image, whereupon you get an extra attack? *chef kiss of fingers*
    Oooooooo, me likey.

23. - Top - End - #293

Quote Originally Posted by deathbydrumsolo View Post
    It's great for a Bladesinger or Sorceradin because they get more slots overall to play with, but a Hexblade or an Eldritch Knight needs something with more power to justify their reduced spell slots. Haste and Fly would better serve them for their limited slots.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathtongue View Post
    It's great for a Bladesinger or Sorceradin because they get more slots overall to play with, but a Hexblade or an Eldritch Knight needs something with more power to justify their reduced spell slots. Haste and Fly would better serve them for their limited slots.
    Yeah. It's not bad, but the 3rd-level school spellis too busy as it is.

Also, how come this guide gets tons of responses and my Arcane Trickster guide gets so little? :P

25. - Top - End - #295

So, I'm getting to play a Fighter, from 1st level, in a 'low-magic' setting. As in, the use of magic is considered illegal, even a Cleric's divine magic.
    Seeing as I am also getting a heavily modified version of a homebrew weapon to much with, I was considering picking Eldritch Knight as my archetype for the hell of it.
    Battlemaster doesn't really interest me all that much, and Champion is a good backup pick, since only PHB Archetype and races are allowed in this particular campaign.
    I have asked the DM if this 'PHB only' restriction also counts for spells. I'm hoping that it's not, because if I am going to be an Eldritch Knight, I would love to get Booming Blade and/or Toll the Dead for some flavor. Which the PHB spells can't really give me, sadly enough.

My question, and I realize that asking this here the answer to it might be a bit biased..
    Should I reconsider picking Champion if I can't get non-PHB cantrips and spells to play with?

Note: That homebrew weapon is based on Monster Hunter's Charge Blade, so it can switch between Sword & Board and Greataxe/Greatsword modes.

EK, I would try to pick up Warcaster for the reaction spell attack, while Champion I would see which side of the weapon would need some help and pick Dueling or Great Weapon Fighting style at 10th to bolster the 'weaker' side.
    I'm a Variant Human, with the Skilled feat to make sure I can work my character and the weapon properly. I needed several tool proficiencies and an Int of at least 12 to qualify for the weapon as a possibility.

I also realize that it's probably the entirely wrong place to post all this..

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    So, I'm getting to play a Fighter, from 1st level, in a 'low-magic' setting. As in, the use of magic is considered illegal, even a Cleric's divine magic.
    Seeing as I am also getting a heavily modified version of a homebrew weapon to much with, I was considering picking Eldritch Knight as my archetype for the hell of it.
    Battlemaster doesn't really interest me all that much, and Champion is a good backup pick, since only PHB Archetype and races are allowed in this particular campaign.
    I have asked the DM if this 'PHB only' restriction also counts for spells. I'm hoping that it's not, because if I am going to be an Eldritch Knight, I would love to get Booming Blade and/or Toll the Dead for some flavor. Which the PHB spells can't really give me, sadly enough.

My question, and I realize that asking this here the answer to it might be a bit biased..
    Should I reconsider picking Champion if I can't get non-PHB cantrips and spells to play with?

Note: That homebrew weapon is based on Monster Hunter's Charge Blade, so it can switch between Sword & Board and Greataxe/Greatsword modes.

EK, I would try to pick up Warcaster for the reaction spell attack, while Champion I would see which side of the weapon would need some help and pick Dueling or Great Weapon Fighting style at 10th to bolster the 'weaker' side.
    I'm a Variant Human, with the Skilled feat to make sure I can work my character and the weapon properly. I needed several tool proficiencies and an Int of at least 12 to qualify for the weapon as a possibility.

I also realize that it's probably the entirely wrong place to post all this..
    You came to the right place.

A 'vanilla' EK suffers from not having Booming/Greenflame Blade and Absorb Elements, definitely. But it's still totally playable: Shield by itself is a worthy addition, and later on stuff like Hold Person and Fly is available. That lets you broaden your scope a lot.

Champion is good too, but you need other methods of optimization, like adding dice damage to your attacks, having sources of advantage handy and favoring big weapons (Half-Orc also recommended).
    Last edited by Specter; 2018-03-12 at 06:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 'vanilla' EK suffers from not having Booming/Greenflame Blade and Absorb Elements, definitely. But it's still totally playable: Shield by itself is a worthy addition, and later on stuff like Hold Person and Fly is available. That lets you broaden your scope a lot.

Champion is good too, but you need other methods of optimization, like adding dice damage to your attacks, having sources of advantage handy and favoring big weapons (Half-Orc also recommended).
    Honestly, BB/GFB aren't that great. GFB only barely outperforms normal greatsword attacks, and can't focus. BB does a bit better, but the damage is worse if the target doesn't move. They don't meaningfully add damage, simply because the eldritch Knight is a fighter. It's useful for level 7-10, and that's about it.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xanderh View Post
    Honestly, BB/GFB aren't that great. GFB only barely outperforms normal greatsword attacks, and can't focus. BB does a bit better, but the damage is worse if the target doesn't move. They don't meaningfully add damage, simply because the eldritch Knight is a fighter. It's useful for level 7-10, and that's about it.
    Level 11 (assuming 20 DEX)
    Booming Blade routine
    1d8+2d8+5 - 1d8+5
    Total AVG: 28

Three attacks routine
    (1d8+5)x3
    Total AVG: 28.5

Booming Blade/Green-Flame Blade come ahead if you can add a rider to it. Only GWM users can do more damage, simply because the weapon die is bigger.

If you are in a game without SCAG cantrips, then you'll be using War Magic for strategy with stuff like Ray of Frost and Frostbite.

29. - Top - End - #299

Update: I just got word that spell selection is NOT limited to PHB, and all official sources are pre-approved by our DM.

I guess this makes my choice between Champ and EK a lot simpler, and I will head towards the magical side of the Fighter spectrum.
    .. Now I just need to pick my 2 starter cantrips from the Wizard list..

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    Update: I just got word that spell selection is NOT limited to PHB, and all official sources are pre-approved by our DM.

I guess this makes my choice between Champ and EK a lot simpler, and I will head towards the magical side of the Fighter spectrum.
    .. Now I just need to pick my 2 starter cantrips from the Wizard list..
    I suggest firebolt or booming blade or GFB.