Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bellator Arcana: The Eldritch Knight's guide

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    the other guides on the subject seemed lackluster
    I'm mildly insulted. Mildly.

That's fair, except with the few cantrips we get, don't you think it's a trap to get a cantrip which will decrease in use more and more?
    War Magic especially makes both cantrips very useful for much of the game. Remember that the cantrips' damage will scale, so when you get War Magic you won't lose any damage by using the cantrip, and you'll be able to take advantage of the extra GFB damage and the BB rider. In fact, the BB rider can be used for some solid crowd control without sacrificing any melee damage or resources. Plus, it works with low-Int builds, which are competitive through every stage of play.

Also, I would consider editing the formatting for the guide. It's very difficult to read on a phone, especially since you haven't separated the different list items very well. Something as simple as using bold on the names of spells makes it much easier to read. I think I actually might write a guide style-guide to help guide the guide-writers as they write their guides.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I really think you are not giving enough thought to the Int dumping EK's.

An EK is not really a blaster, true blasters get those same spells much sooner and are doing much more damage with them by the time the EK sees them. Most of his damage is coming from his weapon attacks.

IMO the best use of slots is on buffs and defense, blur/ mirror image, shield, etc... none of which require attack rolls or save DC's, and which can still be a good use of spell slots to make you one of the best tanks in the game.

I mean by the time the EK gets his 3rd level spells (which a true blaster got at level 5) he can take 3 swings with his GWM or PAM weapon for amazing damage with his concentration on haste (for another swing) and his reaction for shield spells. That is much cooler than tossing a fireball 8 levels too late and requires no Int bonuses.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    I'm mildly insulted. Mildly.

War Magic especially makes both cantrips very useful for much of the game. Remember that the cantrips' damage will scale, so when you get War Magic you won't lose any damage by using the cantrip, and you'll be able to take advantage of the extra GFB damage and the BB rider. In fact, the BB rider can be used for some solid crowd control without sacrificing any melee damage or resources. Plus, it works with low-Int builds, which are competitive through every stage of play.

Also, I would consider editing the formatting for the guide. It's very difficult to read on a phone, especially since you haven't separated the different list items very well. Something as simple as using bold on the names of spells makes it much easier to read. I think I actually might write a guide style-guide to help guide the guide-writers as they write their guides.
    Hahahahaha! I haven't read your Fighter guide, but since I respect the Ranger's I will delve into it later. Thanks for the feedback.
    As for the format, I shall add the little balls in front of spells later. Eventually. One day.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tieren View Post
    snip
    I think you illustrate the argument for the dumb Eldritch Knight pretty well. The only problem is that so many of the spells that work well with this build are neither evocation nor abjuration. Blur and Mirror Image are actually good examples of this.

You're totally right about the damaging spells losing their luster around the time you get your third levels. The main argument for pumping Int is actually that the Eldritch Knight excels at save-or-sucks like Banishment, Hold Person, and Tasha's Hideous Laughter. You can squeeze a hell of a lot of mileage out of that.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biggstick View Post
    To be able to access Inspiring Leader in the first place, you need at least 13 charisma. I only suggested 14 so that you're getting the +2 mod for skill checks, and that 1 extra temp hp per party member per short rest.
    Whoops, I keep on forgetting feats have prerequisites at ALL in this addition due to how rarely they matter.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think you illustrate the argument for the dumb Eldritch Knight pretty well. The only problem is that so many of the spells that work well with this build are neither evocation nor abjuration. Blur and Mirror Image are actually good examples of this.

You're totally right about the damaging spells losing their luster around the time you get your third levels. The main argument for pumping Int is actually that the Eldritch Knight excels at save-or-sucks like Banishment, Hold Person, and Tasha's Hideous Laughter. You can squeeze a hell of a lot of mileage out of that.
    And while full casters will get more spells and sooner, they still only have one (usually) action/reaction to use them on.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Hahahahaha! I haven't read your Fighter guide, but since I respect the Ranger's I will delve into it later. Thanks for the feedback.
    As for the format, I shall add the little balls in front of spells later. Eventually. One day.
    No problem. And I know how the to-do list piles up. Take your time.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saggo View Post
    And while full casters will get more spells and sooner, they still only have one (usually) action/reaction to use them on.
    that's why multiclass in sorcerer to get full caster progression and metamagic worth much, much more than invest in int.

by the way, if allow UA races, minotaur is excellent race if you're strenght based, since you can damage with 1d10 weapon, using shield and with a hand free to cast spells.
    Last edited by joaber; 2016-02-24 at 08:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Something that really needs to be cleared: this guide is about optimizing THIS archetype, not any gish. If the plan is to take a few levels of EK and then something else entirely, you should be reading another class's guide, not this one.

Using the whole 'low-INT, high CHA' debate, the question remains: why not go for Valor Bard, getting the Extra Attack you want and a full spell progression, along with tons of other stuff that synergize with CHA?

Don't everybody speak at once.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Something that really needs to be cleared: this guide is about optimizing THIS archetype, not any gish. If the plan is to take a few levels of EK and then something else entirely, you should be reading another class's guide, not this one.

Using the whole 'low-INT, high CHA' debate, the question remains: why not go for Valor Bard, getting the Extra Attack you want and a full spell progression, along with tons of other stuff that synergize with CHA?

So, remove the multiclass part. If I'm tooking 11 lvl in EK, I'm most part a EK. If this guide is about optimization, and you're talking about multiclass, you need put the best options, not what you think should be your ideal concept of an EK.

Valor bard get 1 extra attack, EK get 2. Get fighting style, con save, all armor/shield/weapon prof, action surge, second wind, war magic at lvl 7 instead of 14 and most important, the ultimate feature to a spellcaster that only EK and Arcane Trickester (even better, since you get this at lvl 9, so you can get mass suggestion in the end) have for no resource: "desadvantage in ST for your spells". A Sorc need to burn 3 SP to do desadvantage in ST for only one target. EK can attack up to 4 creatures in one turn with bonus action (5 with haste) + 3 in the other (4 with haste) and than cast a spell in 7 targets that they will save with desadvantage. Or up to 10 using action surge. None full caster have some some ST debuff that is even close to that.
    Or you can attack, cast hold person/hold monster, target will save with desadvantage (you can subtract 1d4 from the result if you're wild sorcerer) and than spam more 2 attacks (5 with action surge) with auto crit.
    Or you can twin your buffs with your allies (haste, greater invisibility...), or even twin booming blade, quick fear to enemies leave, activate double booming blade, and attack one with your reaction and get more AoO from your partners. All this in one turn, without action surge.

As full EK, you don't have great spells for really take advantage of eldritch strike (not even a 5th lvl). Multiclassing a wizard you don't get nothing that compare to metamagic in that building.

So, if you want to make a guide about pure EK, remove multiclass part, if you want to talk about optimization, the secret is Cha. At least write about that Int isn't that important to an EK if you choose different options (that are at the end better).

11. - Top - End - #41

3) Archer: Yes, it's entirely possible, and not lacking at all. An EK archer is tougher and more versatile than those from other archetypes, as far as I can speculate (never seen one). Leather armor and bow, of course. Crossbows are viable, but will require Crossbow Expert for max efficiency.
    Yes, I can confirm this. Most EKs that I see are actually built as archers, although today I saw my first Dex-based Duelist.

Eldritch Knights make the best archers in the game. Archery fighting style, high mobility (Expeditious Retreat) and a built-in Magic Weapon, versatile fighting at range or in melee (due to SCAG cantrips + rapier), excellent damage output (3-4 attacks per round, up to 5 with Crossbow Expert cheese, which wouldn't fly at my table without a good supply of pre-loaded crossbows), good defensive magics. Like most archers, EKs are better than melee fighters at using poison.

The main problem with EKs is that levels 11 to 20 are kind of flat and boring. It's very tempting to multiclass at that point for added versatility. One fun option is EK 11/Swashbuckler 9. It doesn't end up costing you any DPR in the long run (17.5 points of sneak attack damage makes up for the missing 4th attack) and it gives you awesome options like Panache for single-target crowd control, which BTW works even if the enemy can't see you because you're hiding. Panache works as long as the enemy can hear you.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

One of the great things about being a fighter is the 7 ASI's they get. I know other people were bringing up multi-classing and what not, and that's something you don't really want to go over in this guide. What I brought up was playing your EK as a bit more support by having enough Charisma to take the Inspiring Leader feat, and how it's a great way to give yourself (and your party) temporary hp that refreshes on a short rest. Being a class that has plenty of ASI's, Fighters are one of the classes that can best take this feat to support their party (because who doesn't like temporary hp). Also, fluffing your EK as being charismatic instead of intelligent (which would be represented by the 14 cha and 10 int) is something that is totally playable. One could argue that it's helping to optimize your party by having the fighter actually contribute to the party in a way that's different from just combat.
    Last edited by Biggstick; 2016-02-25 at 02:27 PM.
    Be excellent to each other.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, an Eldritch Knight gets the Con save, War Magic, an extra Extra Attack, and spells like Shield, Absorb Elements, and several movement modifying spells that Bards simply don't get. Plus, Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I never meant to imply you should dump int in order to MC. I am postulating that a pure EK still doesn't need int, because there are lots of fun and interesting spells he can cast to get full use of his class and subclass abilities that do not involve spell attack rolls or saves.

15. - Top - End - #45

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by joaber View Post
    As full EK, you don't have great spells for really take advantage of eldritch strike (not even a 5th lvl). Multiclassing a wizard you don't get nothing that compare to metamagic in that building.
    Great is subjective and full casters will of course have more options, but Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Hold Person, Banishment, and Fireball are all useful spells to Eldritch Strike with.

So, if you want to make a guide about pure EK, remove multiclass part, if you want to talk about optimization, the secret is Cha. At least write about that Int isn't that important to an EK if you choose different options (that are at the end better).
    Better with the caveat that Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade are consistently twinned and the riders consistently activate (targets don't always move, they're not always within 5' of each other, and using other metamagic options severely hinders twinning cantrips).

You're right in that it's a valid option and at times better, just not strictly so.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Great is subjective and full casters will of course have more options, but Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Hold Person, Banishment, and Fireball are all useful spells to Eldritch Strike with.
    You're right. But guess who has all those spell and can cast as bonus action in the same turn you attacked 3 targets?

Better with the caveat that Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade are consistently twinned and the riders consistently activate (targets don't always move, they're not always within 5' of each other, and using other metamagic options severely hinders twinning cantrips).

You're right in that it's a valid option and at times better, just not strictly so.
    you cant twin GFB, but can BB, and can obligate they move (with your bonus action, if you want): command, fear, suggestion, dissonant whisppers, phantasmal force, even a good minor illusion. They will save with desadvantage and you can get one AoO (that can be a spell if you have war caster).

Is a limit of resource, of course, but I don't think multiclass as sorcerer deserve a purple and multiclass as wizard is pure gold. Just pointing it out.

In fact, I think none option of multiclass as EK deserve a red, fighter can really multiclass with any other class and EK isn't an exception.
    Last edited by joaber; 2016-02-25 at 08:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

DruidGuy

You're right. But guess who has all those spell and can cast as bonus action in the same turn you attacked 3 targets?
    Witicisms aside, a pure Eldritch Knight still gets great saving throw spells to use with Eldritch Strike.

you cant twin GFB, but can BB, and can obligate they move (with your bonus action, if you want): command, fear, suggestion, dissonant whisppers, phantasmal force, even a good minor illusion. They will save with desadvantage and you can get one AoO (that can be a spell if you have war caster).
    Fear's effect is they must Dash, it wouldn't trigger Booming Blade. Otherwise, you're trading DPR for control and some damage, which is fine. Useful, definitely. I blanked on Twin's one target requirement.
    Last edited by Saggo; 2016-02-25 at 10:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Witicisms aside, a pure Eldritch Knight still gets great saving throw spells to use with Eldritch Strike.

Fear's effect is they must Dash, it wouldn't trigger Booming Blade. Otherwise, you're trading DPR for control and some damage, which is fine. Useful, definitely. I blanked on Twin's one target requirement.
    Dash is an action the target take because he's with fear, isn't forced movement like thunderwave, so will trygger BB same way will trygger one AoO. But this only will happen in target's turn, unlike dissonant whisppers, that the target need to use his reaction.

19. - Top - End - #49

DruidGuy

Dash is an action the target take because he's with fear, isn't forced movement like thunderwave, so will trygger BB same way will trygger one AoO. But this only will happen in target's turn, unlike dissonant whisppers, that the target need to use his reaction.
    Arguable. If they were just frightened, maybe, but Fear frightens and then forces you to move. Booming Blade doesn't say if they use movement on their turn, it just says they willingly moved.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Halfling in the Playground

I really think this guide is undervaluing Warlock. For a ranged EK, it is super hard to pass up on two levels of Warlock. Eldritch Blast(w/ Agonizing Blast) activates War Magic, getting the fighter up to four attack three levels earlier than pure fighter, and lets them use a bigger bow/damage dice. While you miss out on -5/+10 from sharpshooter, you gain Hex, which without advantage is about equivalent. Depending on Patron you also get some nice effects, Fiend is in general pretty solid. You also get another evocation, of which there are some fairly good ones. There is just a lot of goods in two levels of Warlock, which I don't think you are giving enough credit too.
    It does require some awkward leveling though, since you want EK 7 before Warlock.

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Mrglee View Post
    I really think this guide is undervaluing Warlock. For a ranged EK, it is super hard to pass up on two levels of Warlock. Eldritch Blast(w/ Agonizing Blast) activates War Magic, getting the fighter up to four attack three levels earlier than pure fighter, and lets them use a bigger bow/damage dice. While you miss out on -5/+10 from sharpshooter, you gain Hex, which without advantage is about equivalent. Depending on Patron you also get some nice effects, Fiend is in general pretty solid. You also get another evocation, of which there are some fairly good ones. There is just a lot of goods in two levels of Warlock, which I don't think you are giving enough credit too.
    It does require some awkward leveling though, since you want EK 7 before Warlock.
    That's extremely MAD (adds a high-CHA dependency) and winds up not giving you much more than you'd get from pure EK Sharpshooter. It's a fun idea on paper, especially EK 7/Warlock 2/Swashbuckler 11 for extremely high damage on your bonus attack. It might even be fun in practice if you happen to roll two 18s. But a regular SAD Sharpshooter who spends his concentration on Magic Weapon and his bonus action on Crossbow Expert cheese (which, BTW, I would not allow without multiple crossbows, but Jeremy Crawford says it's RAI) will probably do competitive damage.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I do think people underrate war magic now that we have these new catnrips.

Now this is not to say it is always better. It is not but there are many times when it is or is very close.

THe reason people disregard it is because of the math with older cantrips. Those cantrips (such as firebolt) never deal enough damage to really compete well against standard attacks even without feats to boost them. THese weapon cantrips are different. Unlike firebolt and the like it gets three key damage boosts that help it compete that other cantrips did not have when they did the math

1. Being a weapon attack it gets your stat bonus to damage effectively giving you +5 damage or more end game over standard cantrips (the base weapon die compensates for the loss of one die that those cantrips seem to get thus equaling it out).

2. They get a second instance of damage. GFB gets to hit an additional target with fire damage and booming blade gets to hit a target again if they move. Very few other cantrips get anything like that and booming blade is the only one I think that gets to double tap a single enemy.

3. Being weapon attacks you can use feats to boost them and they can be potentially boosted by spell AND weapon feats (and weapon feats so far are more plentiful and powerful in general).

SO how does the damage stack up? Well to do that I am going to go very basic here. I am going to use similar characters and for my example it will be using a halberd as its main weapon. Yes you can do better but I am just trying to show basic level numbers before you optimize the heck out of it. To keep it even more basic I am going to not use things like dueling (though that does benefit normal attack actions more I know) to keep things easier. Since I do not have a list of accepted average AC for given level ranges like I did for 4e I am not going to give exact numbers for DPR but just use damage averages. Since the two characters are assumed to be identical in every way (just using different attack tactics) you can use these as per-accuracy numbers that should equal out. Lastly since they are using the same weapons with the same overall stats I will just effectively cancel out any attacks that duplicate each other, for example since the damage given by the bonus action attack from war magic is the same as any one attack from the attack action I will just say that those cancel each other out and so we only need to compare the damage of the other attacks. Lastly I will basically compare them in four states war magic, war magic plus getting your secondary extra damage in a round (either area of effect or booming blade), basic attacks, and lastly basic attacks plus a feat based around the attack action (the feat assumed in that case will be polearm mastery on the basic attack, we could add more feats but I just want to show the difference in damage between one very common feat use and the bog standard war magic ability).

I am going off of memory here so feel free to correct the errors where found if they make a real difference in the point.

Levels1-4- At this point they are really close. The cantrips do not deal bonus damage on the initial use so damage is equal. If you get the bonus damage then the cantrip comes out ahead but if you use a feat then we are pretty close. Depending on your damage mod booming blades 4.5 extra damage can be very close to the 2.5+str that you get from the extra attack. The feat may come out ahead but the difference is very small I think. However this only occurs if you have a feat available. Levels 1-3 are better for the cantrip unless you are V human or get feats through houserules. Overall I say it is a draw (maybe a slight win for cantrip use).

Levels 5-6- Normal attacks now (just for ease I am just going to use 20 str even though it is not likely) are one attack ahead but the cantrip now deals extra damage. Normal attacks deal 10.5 extra damage while the cantrip deals 4.5 extra damage. The normal attacks are ahead by 6 and it gets worse with the feat adding another 7.5 damage for 13.5 extra damage. However if you do get that extra damage you now get 9 points of damage which means regular attacks are only ahead if you use a feat (by 4.5 damage) and are ahead if you are not using feats.

7-10- War magic comes online. Now you get the same number of attacks either way so cantrips win hands down. Using the feat can still put you ahead (by 3 points) but if you get your bonus damage the cantrip wins again (by 6 points).

11-16- Normal attacks gain an extra attack while cantrips get more damage. Two attacks are negated this time so the bonus damage for normal attacks is 10.5. Cantrip damage now adds an average of 9 damage. Regular attacks are slightly ahead (1.5). Once again using a feat will bring you up to 9 points over but if you get your extra damage from booming blade then you get a bonus of 13.5 damage and come up ahead by 4.5.

17-19- This is the same as the previous section but the cantrip user gets boosted early. Now the cantrip user is ahead of the regular attack (by 3 points) unless he uses a feat (4.5) and can get ahead even of that if you get your bonus damage (13.5 over the feat user).

20- normal attacks gain another attack. This changes things for a normal attack user as it gives him a boost of damage over cantrip users (7.5). If you use a feat that can now be up to 15 points of damage over just the initial cantrip. However once again if the bonus damage gets activated booming blade gains a8 points of damage and can deal more damage.

So in summary...

1-3- cantrip wins

4 Weapon user wins assuming access to feats otherwise cantrips still win.

5-6- Weapon user wins

7-10 Cantrip wins

11-16- Weapons win unless you can get your extra instance of damage then cantrips win.

17-19 Cantrips win

20- weapons win unless you get your bonus damage

So on the most basic level booming blade is better (or essentially equal to) 1-4, 7-10, and 17-19 without really accounting heavily for the extra damage instance. That is 9 levels out of 20 where the cantrip is below par (so more often than not is is good). Feats boost the standard weapon user but remember outside of levels 5 and 6 if the cantrip user gets his bonus damage (such as getting your enemy to move after using booming blade) then the cantrip user deals more damage.

From this I think it is safe to say if you are going to use war magic and are not going to multiclass to boost single attack damage (such rogue with sneak attack) then you need to make sure you are ALWAYS getting that bonus damage as much as possible when you are using the cantrips (GFB if you can hit extra targets, booming blade in conjunction with mobile on melee targets and staying close to ranged users) and if you cannot make a good chance for that then switch to normal attacks for that round.

I do think that there are more ways to boost normal attacks more with a single class fighter (dueling style for instance gives more damage the more attacks you make so it benefits your attack action more than war magic in the long run) but on a very basic level I think war magic is competitive so long as you use these weapon cantrips (or eldritch blast but that requires two levels of warlock to make it good in which case you are doing something different) and if you can make it so you can get that extra damage then it becomes very good at almost all levels (5 and 6 are the two levels where it will not bring you up to par).
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2016-02-26 at 04:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd like to recommend Jump as a surprisingly good concentrationless mobility enhancer as a possible free pick 1st level spell. It works rather well on a high strength build.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Fair point, I've reformed some parts of the guide.

But something feels off. At lvl10, the Battlemaster will improve his superiority dice. The Champion will get another Fighting Style. And the low-int EK will get, what, something he will never use? Not cool, man.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Arguable. If they were just frightened, maybe, but Fear frightens and then forces you to move. Booming Blade doesn't say if they use movement on their turn, it just says they willingly moved.
    Forced movement is clearly movement that occurs specifically as part of an action made by another character. Movement that occurs during your turn because of your actions is not forced movement, even if circumstances or spell effects are forcing you to move. It's a technical term, so a semantic argument using a laymen's definition is meaningless.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rixitichil View Post
    I'd like to recommend Jump as a surprisingly good concentrationless mobility enhancer as a possible free pick 1st level spell. It works rather well on a high strength build.
    It's neither abjuration, nor evication, so it's competing with spells like Tasha that are so far beyond Jump there's simply no comparison.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

page 195 of PHB about AoO: "You also don't provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction. For example, you don't provoke an opportunity attack if an explosion hurts you out of a foe's reach or if gravity causes you to fall past an enemy."

Is totally intended to work the same way with BB. The target moved willingly because he is with feat.

@Specter, thank you for correction, sorry for be so annoying. You can keep as designed, but add a note to optional building

like:
    "Intelligence: This determines the efficiency... but is Purple if you only use spells only for buffs/protection or multiclass in another ability base caster"

"Eldritch Strike: this make you better than any full caster.... but is Red if you only use spells for buff/protection"

28. - Top - End - #58

DruidGuy

Forced movement is clearly movement that occurs specifically as part of an action made by another character. Movement that occurs during your turn because of your actions is not forced movement, even if circumstances or spell effects are forcing you to move. It's a technical term, so a semantic argument using a laymen's definition is meaningless.
    It's an inferred term, unless there's a reference I missed. And the spell effect was written in layman's terms, which is a problem. The books are also egregiously written in both technical and layman's terms, for whatever design choice, further mucking things up. Either way, arguing about arguing about semantics is arguably meaningless.

page 195 of PHB about AoO: "You also don't provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction. For example, you don't provoke an opportunity attack if an explosion hurts you out of a foe's reach or if gravity causes you to fall past an enemy."
    Fair enough.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Fair point, I've reformed some parts of the guide.

But something feels off. At lvl10, the Battlemaster will improve his superiority dice. The Champion will get another Fighting Style. And the low-int EK will get, what, something he will never use? Not cool, man.
    Not so, after level 10 he can then take a save spell or two as he continues to level and the disadvantage is better then the +2 as if he had put a 14 in Int. The level 10 feature opens up new and interesting possibilities for the PC that dumped Int. It would actually be better for him than the EK that already had more or less successful save spell casting to whom the feature is just gravy.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Either way, arguing about arguing about semantics is arguably meaningless.
    I full-heartedly disagree. Defining the terms of a discussion is always necessary for the discussion to be fruitful.

Ad to the rest of your post, I'm AFB, but I have the spell text, and it is not in laymen's terms. It says the target, on failing a Wisdom save (technical term) becomes frightened (specific status effect) and must take the Dash action (technical term).

Forced movement, as with the opportunity attack rules, exclusively refers to and has always exclusively referred to movement that happened directly as part of an effect (as with the Push action or Repelling Eldritch Blast).