New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 1001 Cheap Magic Items (Let's come up with some)

215: Spell Bullets

This is actually a type of item; many specific ones are possible. These magical pellets are use activated, single use spell storage items, similar in some ways to potions. But, where a potion is imbibed for activation, spell bullets are thrown to activate and where a potion's spell is one that affects the drinker, the bullet's affect must be one with a range type area of effect (e.g. Sleep, Fireball). When the bullet is activated, the effect emanates from its location.

There are three ways to activate a bullet.
    • The bullet may be thrown into water. It needn't be pure water; a muddy puddle would do but actual mud would not.
    • It may be thrown into a fire.
    • It may be thrown against a hard surface (e.g. stone or metal, not flesh or soil) hitting the surface hard enough to inflict damage.
    Each bullet is made to use only one of these activation methods.

Priced as potions.

(The sort of use I envision, for example: a ranger sneaks up within sight of the enemy camp, where he spies the men on watch, sitting next to the watch fire. He removes a spell bullet from his pouch, places it in his blowgun, and shoots it into the fire. The watchers are taken by the Sleep spell that radiates from it.)
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    With all due respect, that's a terrible idea. Some of us are hopeless klutzes, but our characters are not. Heck, that's part of the escapist aspect of RPGs; our characters can do things we can't.

It's certainly better in that case to roll a ranged touch attack. I was reminded of a certain player in my extended gaming circle with an uncanny skill with cards.

But there are many reasons your character might opt for a ranged touch item as opposed to a gaze attack. For example, the target may not recognize the drawing or its effect as something worth noticing, (Animal or lower Int,) or the user is behind or otherwise out of sight of the intended victim.

216: Axe of Mik
    This handaxe can be thrown or weilded as a weapon with a -1 penalty to all combat die rolls. It is Small and Light weapon with a blunt, wedge-shaped head on an 11 inch wooden shaft. Its sole saving grace is that it will render 10 cubic yards of debris into 10 cubic feet of firewood in one ten-minute turn.

What can you charge for an effectively cursed weapon? Its creation cost of about 2000gp would be negated by the fact that few adventurers would be able to afford it who also didn't have access to better for the same price. Farm folk might want such items but be unable to afford them. Perhaps Mik was a wandering tinker who rewarded worthy customers with these efficient tools for reasonable prices.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-02-06 at 03:51 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Item #217: The Racking Statue

This item is a medium sized metal statue of a little man with a wicked grin on his face and holding a sign with what appear to be ancient runes etched into it, which can only be made out by standing right in front of the statue.

A Decipher Script check (DC 15) reveals that the runes say the following: "He who reads this sign, receives a swift kick to the groin."

Should someone successfully read the sign, then statue's leg will come to life and kick the unfortunate person with a swift kick between the legs, dealing 1d6 points of damage (It Bypasses all DR) and leaving the victim dazed for 1 round. Any attempt to avoid the kick automatically fails spectacularly and results in another painful kick to the groin... except the second one goes to a random member of the victim's party.

Why would this be a cheap magical item you may ask? Because nobody wants to keep the darn thing.

DMs... place this statue in a treasure trove and watch hilarity ensue.
    Last edited by Durzan; 2018-02-20 at 04:38 PM.
    Wheel of Time 3.5e Homebrew
    My Original D20 System: Forgotten Prophecies RPG

When it comes to GMing, World-Building is one of the things that I do best, provided I have friends to bounce ideas off of.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

218.) Indelible scroll (lv 0)- Works like a scroll of a level 0 spell, but can be reused an infinite number of times. Price 500 gp

219.) Indelible scroll (lv 1)- Works like a scroll of a level 1 spell, but can be reused an infinite number of times. Price 1000 gp
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    218.) Indelible scroll (lv 0)- Works like a scroll of a level 0 spell, but can be reused an infinite number of times. Price 500 gp

219.) Indelible scroll (lv 1)- Works like a scroll of a level 1 spell, but can be reused an infinite number of times. Price 1000 gp

Is this a once/day item? Such an item without limits might be more expensive. It does, however, inspire a new idea for me:

220 Quill of Forgery

Any written work may be copied as if written by the original scribe using this magical pen. This quill will not allow adding new information to a work, but excerpts are allowed, meaning that a single word, phrase, or signature can be copied exactly or left out of the copy.

Magical scrolls can be copied either into a spellbook or onto another scroll, but the forger must pay any exp costs. The Scribe Scroll feat is not required, but a copyist without the feat must make a Spellcraft Check as if applying Use Magic Device to cast a spell from the scroll. See the UMD feat for appropriate DCs. By using the ability to leave out a word or phrase the scriber can create magical scrolls which appear normal, but which automatically fail. The exp cost to create the scroll or spellbook must be paid as if a working item were being created.

With the original document in hand the success DC is 20, and a Take 20 is allowed so long as the copyist is undisturbed and takes twice the normal time to complete the work. Copying a copy, however, introduces a chance for errors, increasing the DC by +5 for each step away from the original document. Thus a copy of a copy is a DC 30 check.

The quill may copy 1 page or spell level per day per character level. Level 0 spells require 1/2 page per spell.

Unless the document is checked for authenticity it will pass as the original document. Close scrutiny allows a check to determine authenticity as follows:

Bluff vs. Sense Motive or Forgery Skill vs. Sense Motive for non-magical works. The skill level at the time of the copy is used. The original writer of the document is entitled to a +5 to the Sense Motive check, but will know automatically if alterations were introduced. A person who has read the original document may add Int bonus for each alteration to his Sense Motive roll. Copying into a different medium, such as from scroll to book or from vellum to paper are automatically detected, and imbeded security measures, such as watermarks or crimping, allow those aware of the security measures to detect the forgery.

Spellcraft vs. Spellcraft is used for magical writings. Since a copied scroll or spellbook works as the original, the chances that anyone cares is slight, unless a guild wants to control the sale of scrolls or somd such. But, should it come up, the scriber of the original scroll gains a +10 to his spellcraft check.

A wary wizard may also check the scroll to determine if the scroll has been altered to render it inert. If the caster knows the spell a +10 is allowed on his spellcraft check. Such a spell, copied into a spellbook is useless for memorization, and the spellcaster will learn this the first time a spell is prepared from the faulty copy. It can, however, reduce the cost to research that specific spell by d100%.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-02-25 at 05:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Is this a once/day item? Such an item without limits might be more expensive.
    That's the price I extrapolated from the magic item pricing tables,
    Specifically:

Spell completion item, one use: Spell level × caster level × 25 gp
    Use activated item, one use: Spell level × caster level × 50 gp
    Use activated item, unlimited use: Spell level × caster level × 2000 gp

Therefore:

Spell completion item, unlimited use: Spell level × caster level × 1000 gp
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-02-25 at 01:02 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

7. - Top - End - #157

220: Quill of Forgery...
    Added item number, 220, to keep the count up.
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is just wicked, I amy still these for one of my games since its an e6.
    This is Foxglove:

DM - Recruiting for From Buried Towers to Wings on High (3.5 e6, Kobolds, Quest to become Dragons)

Spoiler: My Games:
    Show

DM - Horrors, Pestilence, and Death OoC / IC
    Player - Reset, Reboot, And Try Again IC / OoC

9. - Top - End - #159

221.) Unlimited Wand
    A wand with unlimited usages

Level 0 spell- Faint (any school); CL 1st; Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, the spell contained in the Unlimited Wand; Price 682.5-750-or 766 (low end estimate based on lv 1 eternal wand {eberron pg 265} price times 5/3 divided by 2, mid estimate based on 50 charhge base price times 2, high estimate based on lv0 eternal wand price times 5/3)

Level 1 spell- Faint (any school); CL 1st; Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, the spell contained in the Unlimited Wand; Price 1365-1500 (low end estimate based on eternal wand price times 5/3, high end estimate based on 50 charhge base price times 2) or 1532 (lv0 eternal wand times 10/3)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-03-18 at 05:57 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

10. - Top - End - #160

222. Not really) +0 Arrows of Thumping (3.P)
    These are ordinary arrows except that their heads are blunted lead weights. They inflict non-lethal damage, in the same amount as the lethal damage from an ordinary arrow.

Cost: 1.5 gp for 20 (due to low volume special construction)
    Cost, masterwork: 121.5 gp for 20 (the same masterwork premium as for ordinary arrows)
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by TrT8r View Post
    No.175 band of blinding gestures
    This ring will only fit around the middle finger. When the middle finger that it is on is raised by itself and the command word is spoken, the ring will cast Color spray as a first, second, or third-level spell (Save 13, 14, or 15). It has 5 uses, after which a use can be restored if the middle finger is raised for 5 or more minutes consecutively. Ensures that the last thing your enemy sees is you flicking them off.
    Aura: faint evocation. Prerequisites: color spray. Cost is 50GP+ level of the spell x 20.
    223.) Rude Ring- Once per day the wearer of this ring can flip someone off and in doing so command them to sit and spin for one round (Will DC 11 resists)

faint enchantment; CL 1; Forge Ring, Command; Price 400 gp
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-04-08 at 05:28 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

12. - Top - End - #162

224. The Magic Pain Glove

On inspection, this glove appears to be a simple gauntlet made of average steel. When put on, however, it immediately deals 1d4 Con damage and causes the wearer to be fatigued from the pain. Once the wearer has taken the con damage, they can ask a single question. Once the question is asked, the glove casts divination at caster level 20 and the wearer instantly knows what the divination says.

After using the magic pain glove three times, the user's hand falls off and the glove will no longer work for them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

222. Not really) +0 Arrows of Thumping (3.P)
    These are ordinary arrows except that their heads are blunted lead weights. They inflict non-lethal damage, in the same amount as the lethal damage from an ordinary arrow.

Cost: 1.5 gp for 20 (due to low volume special construction)
    Cost, masterwork: 121.5 gp for 20 (the same masterwork premium as for ordinary arrows)
    Perhaps they should do bludgeoning damage too?

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Perhaps they should do bludgeoning damage too?
    Perhaps. Non-lethal is what I want, but a DM might reasonably say that it does lethal bludgeoning, in which case I'll have to think of something else.

The inspiration was a situation in game where I shot a party member (well, tried to shoot a party member; I missed) in order to break an enchantment effect. I had to think over whether or not the damage was worth it, and was inspired to come up with a non-lethal option.

The same character "invented" arrows with vials of Alchemist's Fire attached, giving them much better range and accuracy than a throw. So now I have three different quivers on my back, and I'm on the way to becoming Green Arrow or Hawkeye with bunches of specialty ammo. Eventually I'll need a magic quiver to make the right arrow easy to pick. It should be easy enough to use the same spells as for a Handy Haversack but put them on a quiver instead. Hmm, that's over 1000 gp, but...
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Perhaps. Non-lethal is what I want, but a DM might reasonably say that it does lethal bludgeoning, in which case I'll have to think of something else.

The inspiration was a situation in game where I shot a party member (well, tried to shoot a party member; I missed) in order to break an enchantment effect. I had to think over whether or not the damage was worth it, and was inspired to come up with a non-lethal option.

The same character "invented" arrows with vials of Alchemist's Fire attached, giving them much better range and accuracy than a throw. So now I have three different quivers on my back, and I'm on the way to becoming Green Arrow or Hawkeye with bunches of specialty ammo. Eventually I'll need a magic quiver to make the right arrow easy to pick. It should be easy enough to use the same spells as for a Handy Haversack but put them on a quiver instead. Hmm, that's over 1000 gp, but...
    Haha that's awesome! And quite logical, too.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

No. 225: Silk net
    A net made out of fine silk rope, with weights at the end. Make a ranged weapon attack using strength OR dexterity. On a hit, the target is restrained by the net, and Web is cast as a second level spell, centered on the target. After use, the net regains it's magic the following morning. In the meantime, it can be used as a standard +1 net.
    Cost: 450 GP
    DM's law; Don't tell them how stupid their idea is until it is already too late to reverse it.
    Generation 20. Every time you see a generation, copy it into your Sig and add one. This is a social experiment.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

226: Charming Cosmetics

The application of these powders and creams to the face allows the wearer to Charm Person as the spell.

227: Philter Of Loudness

This small vial contains an oil which appears to offer the benefits of a Philter Of Glibness. However, its real effect is to Amplify the speaker's voice. In social situations this might invoke negative reactions, but a commander in battle might benefit from the potion.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

228: Orb of Dictation

This small glass sphere, when activated by command word, will record the voice of the activator until the command word is issued again. An Orb of Dictation may only hold one message, and will fill with hazy smoke when carrying one. When an Orb holding a message is smashed the smoke will quickly dissipate and the message will be repeated exactly as dictated (no adjustments for volume, language, etc.)
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

19. - Top - End - #169

229.) Magic Stamp Tool

This magical rubber stamp applies a permanent tattoo in a predetermined design. (An unwilling recipient can resist with a dc 10 fortitude save and an unwanted mark disappears in about a month regardless of the success or failure of this save.)

CL 1; Craft Wondrous Item, Arcane Mark; 1001 gp

http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Stamp_Tool

Omegaupdate Forum

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

230: Duckfoot Boots

The insides of these boots remain clean and dry no matter what goes on outside. Even donning dirty, wet socks before putting on the boots will not interfere with this property. While they do not protect against heat or cold extremes, these boots will insure that frozen or burned feet are clean and dry.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-05-14 at 08:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

230: Duckfoot Boots
    Oh, God, yes, please!
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

22. - Top - End - #172

231.) Un-brella- This magical parasol converts sunlight into water, which drips down from its inner surface. In 12 hours it creates about six gallons

Faint transmutation; cl1; 500gp; Craft Wondrous Item, Create Water or Obscuring Mist

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

232: Stoneware Honey Pot

This jug is a two-tone brown stoneware pot, (the dark tone is on top, inside, and on the lid.) A simple line drawing of a bee is done in blue on the lower half of the pot. The pot is small and appears to have a capacity of about a pint. It is filled with dark, thick honey, and while it can be poured out, it will never completely empty, emitting a dwindling trickle of honey if held upside down. Replacing the lid on a mostly empty pot and stowing it overnight will allow the honey pot to completely refill.

The honey appears to be raw, wild honey, and it is very dark in color with a very strong honey flavor. This allows it to be smelled at some distance, which may create issues.

Bees, wasps, ants, and flies home in on the scent, and when near colonies of such creatures they will attempt to steal as much of the honey as possible. They will passively gather the honey and will only attack if some are killed or injured while gathering it.

Bears and badgers, on the other hand, will certainly attack to get their paws on the honey.

1 in 1000 of these actually contain Royal Jelly.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-05-20 at 07:11 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

233. Scooby's Collar: only usable by animals, this collar gives an animal the ability to speak and understand Common the entire language, not just the rapper
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

234: Cross-party Bag of Holding (Cursed Item) (Price: 75 gp)

Items placed in the bag of holding are retrievable by members of another group with this same item the DM presently runs and vice versa.

My thanks to a devious player who created this and my pity to my other party.

26. - Top - End - #176

Imp

235:Tindr Box

when this box is opened by sliding the lid to the left, it's a normal tinder box that can be used to start a fire. When opened by sliding the lid to the right, the box creates a match that can be used to set something on fire without requiring something flammable.

Number of uses: 1/day, resets at dawn.
    Just remember... if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Maelynn View Post
    235:Tindr Box... a match that can be used to set something on fire without requiring something flammable.

Number of uses: 1/day, resets at dawn.
    So, the match that can set fire to otherwise noninflamable things. And the box is special because it makes these magic matches. You might (or you might not) want to add a clause that the magic matches "expire" at dawn when the nox resets, or people will accumulate them, keeping the one produced each day that it is not needed.
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    231.) Un-brella- This magical parasol converts sunlight into water, which drips down from its inner surface. In 12 hours it creates about six gallons

Faint transmutation; cl1; 500gp; Craft Wondrous Item, Create Water or Obscuring Mist
    Madness!

232: Stoneware Honey Pot

This jug is a two-tone brown stoneware pot, (the dark tone is on top, inside, and on the lid.) A simple line drawing of a bee is done in blue on the lower half of the pot. The pot is small and appears to have a capacity of about a pint. It is filled with dark, thick honey, and while it can be poured out, it will never completely empty, emitting a dwindling trickle of honey if held upside down. Replacing the lid on a mostly empty pot and stowing it overnight will allow the honey pot to completely refill.

The honey appears to be raw, wild honey, and it is very dark in color with a very strong honey flavor. This allows it to be smelled at some distance, which may create issues.

Bees, wasps, ants, and flies home in on the scent, and when near colonies of such creatures they will attempt to steal as much of the honey as possible. They will passively gather the honey and will only attack if some are killed or injured while gathering it.

Bears and badgers, on the other hand, will certainly attack to get their paws on the honey.

1 in 1000 of these actually contain Royal Jelly.
    I love this writeup. I wonder what the market value of honey is, in DnD?

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    233. Scooby's Collar: only usable by animals, this collar gives an animal the ability to speak and understand Common the entire language, not just the rapper
    Bwahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Cluck_Morris View Post
    234: Cross-party Bag of Holding (Cursed Item) (Price: 75 gp)

Items placed in the bag of holding are retrievable by members of another group with this same item the DM presently runs and vice versa.

My thanks to a devious player who created this and my pity to my other party.
    This is an amazing abstraction of so many RPG inventory mechanics. Kudos to you and the player!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    I love this writeup. I wonder what the market value of honey is, in DnD?
    1 copper per ounce. A pint would be 1 silver six copper. Haley would pay a silver, I'd have to pay two.

30. - Top - End - #180

236: Gloves of Ledgerdemain: these gloves have a pair of tiny ring gates sewn into the palms. These act as permanent portals linked to each other and allow objects to pass from one hand to the other. This can provide a +5 enhancement bonus to Sleight of Hand checks to perform street magic. They function if worn by two separate people as well, allowing them to pass objects back and forth if they can fit through a 2 inch diameter circle. A very dexterous user could also hold up his or her palm to let an incoming projectile pass into one gate and out the other (DC 30 reflex save) though most likely only bolts or arrows. The projectile would exit the glove with the same force, so it could be redirected this way too.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2018-05-21 at 12:43 AM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.