New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: 1001 Cheap Magic Items (Let's come up with some)

When I visited Leifeng Pagoda in Hangzhou, I learned that the Chinese used to seal scrolls within hollow bricks in their buildings to protect them from spirits.

237: Sanctified Brick: A 10 foot section of wall containing one of these bricks deals 2d4 damage to incorporeal creatures attempting to pass through it.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

238: A Square Meal

What appears to be a cloth patch with a picture of a plate of food is actually a real plate complete with the proper eating utensils for the meal that is on it, all of which has been treated with a Shrink Item spell. Thus, a hot meal can be served virtually anywhere in the time it takes to unpack the cloth patches. And as a bonus, the plates and utensils remain after the meal has been consumed.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

239: Ring of the Assassin
    This ring has two functions. One is that it has a needle mounted to it with a reservoir to contain one dose of poison. Attacking with it counts as making an unarmed strike for the purposes of feats such as weapon focus or the number of attacks you get, such as with flurry of blows, but it is resolved as a touch attack and deals no damage other than the poison. A Sleight of Hand check vs the target's AC lets you attack without being noticed (you still need a separate attack roll to connect). Alternatively, you can deal normal unarmed damage and administer the poison by resolving it as normal, not a touch attack. The other function is that you finger slips into an interdimenional space, and does not protrude from the other side of the ring. This lets you wear a wrist blade that extends through the space that your finger would otherwise be in.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2018-05-26 at 09:16 PM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus Spelaeus View Post
    When I visited Leifeng Pagoda in Hangzhou, I learned that the Chinese used to seal scrolls within hollow bricks in their buildings to protect them from spirits.

237: Sanctified Brick: A 10 foot section of wall containing one of these bricks deals 2d4 damage to incorporeal creatures attempting to pass through it.
    On a related note in a cold climate you could get double protection or more by instead soaking the scrolls in holy water and using them to make pykrete walls
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    239: Ring of the Assassin...
    This lets you wear a wrist blade that extends through the space that your finger would otherwise be in.
    Or just impersonate an amputee. Silly? Well, yeah, but useful for a disguise, maybe.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Everlasting Soap
    Price (Item Level): 25 gp (1st)
    Body Slot: -
    Caster Level: 1st
    Aura: Faint; (DC 16) conjuration
    Activation: -
    Weight: 1/4 lb.

This item appears as an ordinary (slightly worn) bar of soap. No matter how much lather it creates, it never grows any smaller.

It is possible to shave thin slices off the bar. If dropped into water, these shavings immediately dissolve and create suds. Otherwise, they disappear in one round. In either case, the bar of soap regenerates to full size over the course of one round.

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, minor creation
    Cost to Create: 12 gp, 5 sp, 1 XP, 1 day

Eversmoking Pipe
    Price (Item Level): 100 gp (1st)
    Aura: (DC 16) conjuration
    Activation: Standard (command)
    Weight: -

On command, this seemingly-normal wooden pipe fills with high-quality tobacco smoke. It becomes dormant again when a second command word is given.

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, wall of smoke
    Cost to Create: 50 gp, 4 XP, 1 day

Unsoilable Underclothes
    Price (Item Level): 1,000 gp (4th)
    Aura: Faint; (DC 15) universal
    Activation: -
    Weight: -

These garments allow the wearer to answer nature's call without interrupting his current activities. Waste is immediately destroyed, leaving no traces on the wearer's body, nor in his clothing.

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, prestidigitation
    Cost to Create: 500 gp, 40 XP, 1 day
    Last edited by Maat Mons; 2018-05-27 at 11:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Least Ioun Stone: Skill

These floating glass beads, reminiscent of Ioun Stones, are very slightly magical. They barely float, bobbing along under their own power at about ankle height. They are highly useful for any person, however. When they are created, they are attuned to any one skill. Once per day, on mental command, they grant a +2 competence bonus on the next skill check of their type made within the next minute.

Caster level: 1st; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Caster must be 1st level, 2 ranks in appropriate skill; Market Price: 32 gp.

8. - Top - End - #188

ElfMonkGuy

I included a 'sanctuary brooch' in one of the campaigns I'm GMing, mostly because I just like to get creative with treasure.

It gives +2 to AC and Saves (untyped) against living foes which you have not taken aggressive action against (as defined by Invisibility) in the past hour.
    I priced it at 1,000 gp, but honestly it's probably undercosted.
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2018-05-30 at 01:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189

240) Everlasting Soap

241) Eversmoking Pipe

242) Unsoilable Underclothes

243) Least Ioun Stone: Skill

244) Sanctuary Brooch

C'mon, folks, let's keep up with the counting.
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

245: Dear Diary

This item is a book varying in size, but cheaply bound on low quality paper. It is capable of recording up to fifteen minutes of thoughts each day, but it cannot be used as a spellbook or a source of materials for scroll-making. It always appears blank unless its owner is on another plane, which allows anyone who can pick it up to read it.

Once per day its owner, no matter the distance, (so long as they are both on the same plane,) may begin recording up to fifteen minutes of thoughts. The page these thoughts are recorded upon will be dated in the calander system used by the owner. When the owner is present and holding the book it can be read by anyone who can see the pages. Otherwise its writing can only be seen through use of Read Magic spells.

One in one hundred of these items is cursed. These cursed diaries can be read by anyone, and everything recorded will be subtly altered to make the owner look bad. Example:

Recorded Thought = We encountered hostile humanoids and slaughtered them. They had 28gp between them.

Written In Diary = We encountered peaceful humanoids and slaughtered them for 28gp.

11. - Top - End - #191

246: Deer Diary
    This small leatherbound book creates entries in it itself, recording the time and date, number, size, species, direction, distance, and number of points of any animal with antlers who approached within 1000 feet of the book. Its pages are infinite, but any writing put into it by a creature instantly disappears.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Nod, get treat.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

247: Vial Of Vermin Repellant

Alchemists prepare this bad-smelling but potent oil for protection from midges, mosquitos, stinging flies, and all other creatures of the Vermin type. Such creatures cannot approach within 5 feet of the character, and thus only vermin which have 10 foot reach can attack the character. Vermin may not attack the characyer annointedwith this oil even if forced within 5 feet by the character's actions.

Each vial has a base cost of 200gp.

Flask of Vermin Repellant

Up to 5 applications of the oil can be contained in the flask.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

248: Pavel's biscuits
    These stale biscuits never run out and are stored in a small cloth bag. As an action, you may throw a biscuit at any area you think may be trapped or magical. The biscuit will then detonate said trap or effect, if there is one there AND provided it would do so logically (ie, detonating a pressure plate or pit trap). If it could not logically, roll a d20. On a 19-20, it somehow defies logic and detonates said trap.
    Price: 550 gp.
    Named after Pavel the wizard, who triggered many a trap with stale biscuits he found in his pocket.
    Last edited by TrT8r; 2018-07-26 at 04:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194

Beholder

249: trumpet of doom
    When played, up to 4 creatures that you choose that has the ability to hear must make a wisdom saving throw (DC 15) or take 2d6 psychic and 1d6 necrotic damage. A creature may cover it's ears (if it has any) as a bonus action to gain advantage on the check. Any creature that succeeds on the save is immune to the deathly tune for 24 hours. Any creature killed by the damage reincarnates as a skeleton under your control. You may only have up to 3 minions at a time, and they only last for 12 hours, afterwards they crumble into dust.
    Value: 840/gp
    Last edited by TrT8r; 2018-07-27 at 09:29 AM.
    DM's law; Don't tell them how stupid their idea is until it is already too late to reverse it.
    Generation 20. Every time you see a generation, copy it into your Sig and add one. This is a social experiment.

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by TrT8r View Post
    249: trumpet of doom...
    How does that price out? For this much damage and skeletal minions, it sounds to me as if you're missing a zero or two.
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

16. - Top - End - #196

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    How does that price out? For this much damage and skeletal minions, it sounds to me as if you're missing a zero or two.
    I nerfed it.
    DM's law; Don't tell them how stupid their idea is until it is already too late to reverse it.
    Generation 20. Every time you see a generation, copy it into your Sig and add one. This is a social experiment.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

250: The Party Ball

This can be an orb of from 10 to 100 centimeters in diameter, and is covered with dozens to thousands of tiny mirrors.When thrown up and the command phrase is uttered, the ball floats in place slowly spinning, and glowing from an internal light which sends shattered rainbow reflections from the tiny mirrors. When the spell ends in 4+1d4 hours, the light extinguishes and the ball falls to the ground and shatters. Attempting to move it after it is activated shatters it and terminates all effects immediately.

Cost = 700gp

250a: The Disco Ball

This is an enhanced version of the party ball. In addition to all the stated effects, this version also plays a musical score of popular dance tunes. There are no vocals, and the music tends to be generic and repetitious, but it is loud and played to a heavy beat.

Cost = 1000gp
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-07-27 at 10:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198

251a.) Table of Occasional Mending
    Once per week, when a small object is placed on this small table and the command word is spoken the object is repaired as per the Mending spell

Faint Transmutation; Craft Wondrous Item, Mending; Price 30gp; Weight 12 lbs

251b.) Sack of Occasional Mending
    Once per week, when a small object is placed in this sack and the command word is spoken the object is repaired as per the Mending spell over the course of one minute

Faint Transmutation; Craft Wondrous Item, Mending; Price 30gp
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #199

252a.) Magic Basin- This bowl attached to a heavy runed stand refills itself when water is poured out of it, but no more that one gallon per day

Faint Conjuration; Craft Wondrous Item, Create Water; Price 50 gp

252b.) Magic Water Bowl- This bowl refills itself when water is poured out of it, but no more that one gallon per day

Faint Conjuration; Craft Wondrous Item, Create Water; Price 100 gp; Weight 1lb + the weight of any water
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-07-30 at 10:36 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

253: Everlasting Tea Bag

This tiny spidersilk bag contains the shredded leaves of a fine tea variety. When immersed in hot water for three minutes the bag can be removed by its string and tassel, leaving behind a nice cuppa tea. It can be enjoyed as is or it can be enjoyed with sugar, cream, scones and marmalade, and/or tea biscuits.

Each bag may be used to brew 10,000 6 oz cups of tea.

This item also comes in other varieties, such as black tea, green tea, mint tea, and any of a wide variety of herbal teas.

A more expensive variant incorporates a Ray Of Frost spell which produces a gallon of iced tea, but these tea bags are single use items.

It is possible that healing herbs can be used to create healing teas, poison neutralization teas, and disease removal teas. These will be single use items that are much more expensive.

Fine Tea = 250gp
    Exotic teas = 500gp

Single use Iced Tea = 100gp
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-08-01 at 02:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    And if you place it into the mouth of a corpse, it can never be removed, even after the creature is resurrected.

22. - Top - End - #202

AssassinGuy

#254 The Liar's 54 (any d20)

This Liar's 54 are a set of magic items which include the Liar's Gloves and the Liar's Deck, a deck of 52 enchanted playing cards. If a person wear's the Liar's Gloves, and looks at the back of any card in the Liar's Deck, he will hear the identity of the card (King of Hearts/ Ace of Spades) similar to how the spell "message" works. In addition, if the wearer of the Liar's Gloves uses an illusory effect on any card in the Liar's Deck, the DC to disbelieve the illusion is increased by 7.
    Last edited by JMAP94; 2018-08-01 at 06:02 PM.
    J to the map

23. - Top - End - #203

It is possible that healing herbs can be used to create healing teas, poison neutralization teas, and disease removal teas.
    So, the actual healing herbs have to be put in, and it's a one use item. How is that not just an ordinary tea bag? That is, why does it require any sort of special or enchanted bag if the healing properties are in the herbs and the herbs are provided separately?

Mind you, a Tea Bag of healing or the like is a dandy idea. For an herbalist to make or acquire small bags of fine silk or alchemists' filter paper and make little packets of herbs, all ready to go into hot water is a nice innovation.
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    So, the actual healing herbs have to be put in, and it's a one use item. How is that not just an ordinary tea bag? That is, why does it require any sort of special or enchanted bag if the healing properties are in the herbs and the herbs are provided separately?

Mind you, a Tea Bag of healing or the like is a dandy idea. For an herbalist to make or acquire small bags of fine silk or alchemists' filter paper and make little packets of herbs, all ready to go into hot water is a nice innovation.
    You pretty much have it. The Everlasting bag is reuseable because it's enchanted, the one-use items may have enchantments, or they may be herbal preparations as you describe..

25. - Top - End - #205

Imp

A more expensive variant incorporates a Ray Of Frost spell which produces a gallon of iced tea, but these tea bags are single use items.

Fine Tea = 250gp
    Exotic teas = 500gp

Single use Iced Tea = 100gp
    Is the bolded bit a typo?
    Just remember... if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by Maelynn View Post
    Is the bolded bit a typo?
    I think it's more expensive because you have to keep buying them

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #207

#255 Necklace of Fashion

These necklaces come in a variety of materials and craftsmanship. When donned, it covers the wearer's actual clothes with an illusion of an outfit they picture. This looks perfectly realistic, but it doesn't move quite naturally, making it a DC 13 Spot check save to realize it's not real if the wearer moves while being observed. The necklace's appearance never changes, so it limits what outfits would look fashionable. They are generally used to try on outfits without the hassle of actually dressing and undressing, saving time and informing future purchases, and they are often worn as an accessory without activating their magic. The necklace is usually expensive on its own, but the enchantment adds 500 gp to the base price.

Caster level 5th, silent image, Craft Wondrous Item, faint illusion.

#256 Necklace of Glamer

This version is when the enchantment is added to a necklace or amulet that is already enchanted. The magical aura of the original enchantment is still detectable, but does not function while the illusion effect is in place; the illusion can be dismissed as a free action, but not resumed except by removing and putting the necklace on again. This version is marginally more difficult to spot as fake, requiring a DC 16 Spot check.

Price: +1000 gp. Caster level 10th, silent image, Craft Wondrous Item, moderate illusion

Nod, get treat.

28. - Top - End - #208

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think it's more expensive because you have to keep buying them
    It contradicts the prices he's listed. That's what I meant.
    Just remember... if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Maelynn View Post
    It contradicts the prices he's listed. That's what I meant.
    It only does so if you ignore per cup prices. I should have worded it less akwardly, but I'm writing to people who will rewrite the items and their descriptions for their own campaigns, so you are getting rough draft quality writing.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

#257 Heaven's Chimes
    These gleaming little chimes made of thin, cylindrical bronze tubes suspended by golden thread from a round bronze disc strangely do not make any sort of noise when hung in the wind, no matter how violent that wind is.

They do, however, sound under two circumstances:

(1) When a magic user within 10 feet casts Commune seeking to contact a god (or agent thereof) of a Good alignment. When this occurs, the chimes ring in answer to the caster's questions: One high ting for a question that can be answered Yes,, two low, bell-like tongs for a question that can be answered No. Questions that fall outside this range or where the answer is "Unclear" cause the chimes to jingle randomly but beautifully while the caster's question is answered in the short phrase the spell allows.

(2) When a magic user casts Planar Ally calling a being of a Good alignment, the chimes jingle in a beautiful but serene manner for the entire period the planar ally is within 25 feet of the chimes and achieving the task the caster sets for the ally.

Caster Level 3rd, Ghost Sound, Detect Good, Craft Wondrous Item. Faint Divination. Price: 200 gp