New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: 1001 Cheap Magic Items (Let's come up with some)

Blood Ball_ Wt:1b Cost: 20 gp.

This 1 lb ball is actually a rare magical sea sponge called Sanguera. It is photosynthetic, but unlike plants, it only needs water and sunlight to survive. If squeezed, it produces a liquid that is near indistinguisable in both color and texture to blood (DC 25 to realize the difference). , provided that it is first soaked in water, it can produce this liquid at a rate of 1 gallon per minute, after which it is now dry and must be resoaked. The liquid is slightly poisonous, and is not safe to consume (If at least 1 oz ingested, DC 9 Fort Save, 1 pt of Con damage on failed save). Someone who is familiar with the taste of blood would immeditaly be able to tell the difference (DC 5, if person knows the taste of blood, and tastes the Sanguera's liquid).
    J to the map

2. - Top - End - #212

I also love them!

3. - Top - End - #213

Beholder

No. 259: Trick sword
    This weapon looks to all but the user to be a standard long sword. However, it is actually a +1 javelin with +100 range (ft). When thrown at a creature who can see the sword and wielder, you have advantage on the check.
    Cost: 300 gp
    DM's law; Don't tell them how stupid their idea is until it is already too late to reverse it.
    Generation 20. Every time you see a generation, copy it into your Sig and add one. This is a social experiment.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

260: Mighty Pen

This is a weapon disguised by an illusion as a writing stylus. When the pen is wielded as a sword, the illusion which conceals it will be dispelled, revealing the weapon, usually a masterwork shortsword.

This pen is exactly as mighty as a sword.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I've got to ask, what editions are acceptable for this thread? It's tagged as "3.X," but there have been at least three 5e items recently.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Okay, I've got to ask, what editions are acceptable for this thread? It's tagged as "3.X," but there have been at least three 5e items recently.
    anything. but if it's not 3.5, 3.0, or pathfinder please note what it's for
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #217

Beholder

In that case, all my stuff is 5e
    DM's law; Don't tell them how stupid their idea is until it is already too late to reverse it.
    Generation 20. Every time you see a generation, copy it into your Sig and add one. This is a social experiment.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    I am not statting out my submissions because the user will want to tweak them for his setting anyway. I refer to 3.x rules but a DM running a game in any fantasy game system should be able to adapt any of the submissions for his needs.

261: Lost Marbles

These enchanted glass spheres are typically 1cm diameter. They are typically balls of clear glass with colored inclusions, but may be crafted of clear or colored glass, and may vary from transparent to opaque.

When thrown or projected by sling or other means, the marble can cause the effects of the Daze cantrip. The marble can only inflict 1HP of damage + any applicable Str damage bonus. Damage Reduction may eliminate this damage, but any hit, even if no damage results, forces the character to save or be Dazed as the spell.

The Attack roll is calculated as a Ranged Touch Attack for the Daze effect, but to inflict damage requires the Attack roll to successfully defeat the victim's AC as in a normal attack. Thus, for each individual Attack roll, there are two numbers to beat: the Ranged Touch AC and the full AC. (This is not to be construed as two attacks. There is a single die roll with three potential effects: a miss, a hit which invokes the spell effect, and a hit which invokes both the spell effect and the damage effect.)

Additional hits while the victim is Dazed cannot inflict additional Daze effects, though they may inflict additional damage.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    261: Lost Marbles...
    In its name only, this goes well with my Hold My Beer submission to the 1001 Homebrew Spells thread.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

10. - Top - End - #220

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by JMAP94 View Post

Blood Ball_ Wt:1b Cost: 20 gp.

Someone who is familiar with the taste of blood would immeditaly be able to tell the difference (DC 5, if person knows the taste of blood, and tastes the Sanguera's liquid).
    What about the smell of blood? Like, could a predator or shark smell it and think it's real blood?

11. - Top - End - #221

Beholder

No. 262; Portable Trap Set
    This is a set of black chalk that can be used to draw a trap on any solid surface, taking three rounds to do so. When drawn, the trap functions as it should. The drawn trap loses effect and becomes a drawing after one hour. It become permanent if it is redrawn once every half hour for ten hours. The chalk has 250 uses.
    Traps: Pit (normal) - 1 use
    Pit (hidden) - 2 uses
    Blowdart trap- 4 uses
    Pit (spring-loaded) - 4 uses
    Cost - 800 gp

12. - Top - End - #222
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by JMAP94 View Post
    Someone who is familiar with the taste of blood would immeditaly be able to tell the difference (DC 5, if person knows the taste of blood, and tastes the Sanguera's liquid).
    If they are 'immediately able to tell the difference', why a DC5? Then it should be an autosuccess without a DC, no?
    Just remember... if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Maelynn View Post
    If they are 'immediately able to tell the difference', why a DC5? Then it should be an autosuccess without a DC, no?
    I read that as, "if the taster is familiar with the flavor of blood it is immediately entitled to a save."

14. - Top - End - #224

Beholder

No. 263 - Sauna Bottle (5e)
    When uncorked, the bottle produces warm steam that dissipates in the air. When used in an enclosed area, the temperature rises and steam fills the room. Any creature that stays in the room gains temporary hitpoints equal to their level. Each bottle has a 1/6 chance of being a bottle of choking
    Cost: 150 gp

No. 264 - Bottle of choking
    This Item appears to be a Sauna Bottle, and magic reveals that it is one. However, a DC 20 arcana check proves that it is not. A Bottle of choking produces warm, thick steam that dissipates slowly. When used in an enclosed room, after 10 minutes of being opened, every creature that does not breathe water will start drowning and be unable to breathe. Exiting the steam cloud will reverse the effect.
    Cost: 150 gp

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

No. 265 - Lucky Ring

This ring, a simple nondescript golden band with scratches from wear, grants the wearer who believes this ring to actually be lucky a +4 to the first saving throw of the day.

Faint abjuration; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item or Forge Ring, Resistance; Price 10gp);Weight 0,2 lb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    Do we know when Shed Shadow is going to pick?
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No. 266 - Grasping Gauntlet

This gauntlet can be triggered with a power word to stay "fixed" in whatever hand position it is currently positioned. This gives +2 to opposed grapple checks, as well as +2 to Climb checks when the climb would take more than a turn. Other, more niche uses are surely possible.

If for some reason the strength of the gauntlet's grip needs to be checked, use the strength of the last person to wear it (yes, it can be removed and still remain locked)

Prereqs: Craft Wondrous Item, Spider Climb or any "Hand" spell
    Cost to Create: 500gp, 20XP, 1 day
    Last edited by zaratustra; 2018-08-18 at 08:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227

267.) Table of Accessibility (3.5e)
    A person sitting or standing at this oversize table can telekinetically move or manipulate any object on it weighing less than 5 pounds.

faint transmutation; CL 1st, Craft Wondrous Item, Mage Hand; Price 120-500gp + cost of the table

(price breakdown: [spell level 1/2] x [cl 1] x [2000 gp for continuous spell] x [1/2 for movable wondrous architecture discount (stronghold builder's guidebook pg 70 column 1)]=500 gp. Range of prices under 500 gp represent the spell being limited to what's on top of the table)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-08-24 at 11:28 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

18. - Top - End - #228

BardGuy

268. Bolt Launcher
    This appearance of this magical device resembles a bow mounted horizontally on stock. A lever primes the device and allows the user to ready a single piece of specialized ammunition. A second lever activates the device and causes the bolt to fly at a target of the user's choice, using a ranged attack roll.
    The bolt has a range increment of 80 feet. A bolt fired from a medium bolt launcher deals 1d8 points of piercing damage, though smaller or larger bolt launchers deal damage according to their size. Bolts usable with a bolt launcher can be purchased for one silver piece each, and are usually sold in sets of ten.
    The bolt launcher is considered a simple weapon, and may be made masterwork and modified with magical enhancements as a ranged weapon. Bolts may also be made masterwork and modified with magical abilities, and retain any such properties when launched from a bolt launcher. Any feats that the user possesses which modify ranged attacks, such as point blank shot, apply to the bolt launcher.

Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Launch Bolt; 35 GP; 4 lb. (medium)

269. Everbright Clothes
    Usually a full set of fine clothing or ornate robes, everbright clothes are enchanted with simple magic that prevents them from ever being soiled by dirt, blood, or any other nonmagical substance. Dyes that were used on the clothing before it was enchanted are not affected. In fact, the enchantment preserves the dyes' vibrancy and restores the color should anything cause it to fade. Excessively large stains vanish at a rate of one square foot per round.
    When found as random loot, sometimes only a single article such as a shirt or a pair of pants is found.

Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Prestidigitation; 200 GP plus the cost of the clothing to be enchanted (usually expensive clothing such as a courtier's, noble's, or royal outfit)
    Last edited by Vaern; 2018-08-24 at 03:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    268. Bolt Launcher...
    Did I miss something? Isn't this just an ordinary crossbow? Is there anything magical about it?
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    Did I miss something? Isn't this just an ordinary crossbow? Is there anything magical about it?
    Blue is, generally, for sarcasm on this forum, so it's a joke magic item replicating a mundane crossbow via magical alterations to normal bows (in case you didn't notice, it has a Faint Transmutation aura). Though I'd actually kind of like to see a bit of the crunch rephrased so that it actually has some real use over non-magical crossbows. Probably by expressing it as divergence from a normal bow, instead of specifically expressing a normal crossbow, such that you now get to stack extra modifications normally unusable on crossbows. Like the strength bonus allowance.

21. - Top - End - #231

BardGuy

The item is intended to replicate the effects of the Launch Bolt spell in the Spell Compendium an unlimited number of times per day. The spell, for all intents and purposes, functions exactly the same as firing a bolt from a light crossbow, but without actually needing a light crossbow.
    The deliberate lack of references to a standard crossbow was to emphasize that the bolt launcher is not a crossbow, because that would defeat the purpose of emulating a spell that exists for the sole purpose of not needing to carry a crossbow.

In other words... The joke is that the item is not a crossbow. The punchline is that the item is, in fact, an ordinary crossbow.

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose, technically, crafting the magic item would require material components equal to casting the spell fifty times and would thereafter not require the material component to cast the spell. So the item could be rewritten such that it has infinite ammo and reloads itself as a free action... But the completely mundane version just seemed hilarious to me.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2018-08-25 at 11:13 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    Perhaps. Non-lethal is what I want, but a DM might reasonably say that it does lethal bludgeoning, in which case I'll have to think of something else.
    At the risk of explaining something you might already know (because I got the impression from your post that you might not): Nonlethal damage is a special kind of damage (much like, say, ability damage), rather than a damage type. Nonlethal damage, unlike the aforementioned ability damage, can also have a damage type. As such, if you attack someone with a sap, you deal nonlethal bludgeoning damage. If you attack with a whip, you deal nonlethal slashing damage.

With that in mind, these arrows could very reasonably deal nonlethal bludgeoning damage.

Also, so that I'm contributing to the thread, here's something copy-pasted from my own homebrew (and slightly edited to remove references to the race it was originally associated with). It's not technically magical in nature, but classifying it as a wondrous item seems like the easiest way to go about things.

[PF] 270. Dawnstone
    Aura no aura (non-magical); CL —; Slot see text; Weight —; Price 70 gp

This peculiar gemstone, typically light blue or pale green in colour, is favoured by sylphs and elemental (air) bloodline sorcerers and commonly incorporated into jewelry such as bracelets or pendants. As a move action, a sylph or suli can channel her innate electricity into a worn or held dawnstone, causing it to shed light equivalent to a torch for 1 minute. Channeling electricity into the dawnstone repeatedly allows the wearer to stack the duration; for example, spending 2 consecutive move actions channeling electricity into the dawnstone will cause it to glow for 2 minutes. A dawnstone cannot hold more than 30 minutes of charge at one time. Furthermore, dealing electricity damage to a dawnstone causes it to glow for 2 minutes per point of electricity damage that would have been dealt to it (before halving damage due to the dawnstone being an object and before applying hardness), to a maximum of 30 minutes at 15 points of damage, with excess damage being dealt to the dawnstone (remaining damage is halved and then hardness applied, as normal). A standard-sized dawnstone fits in the palm of your hand, and has hardness 7 and 13 HP.

The listed price includes the cost of a piece of mundane jewelry to incorporate the dawnstone into; alternatively, it can be incorporated into a piece of magical jewelry, or into a weapon as a decoration, by adding 70 gp to that item’s cost.
    Last edited by FlameUser64; 2018-08-26 at 06:13 AM.
    My Pathfinder homebrew:

Wanna play a cute half-dragon with a breath weapon?
    The gria (dragonfolk) (Note: No relation to the race from FFTA2.)

Unchained Monk: Now with combat precognition! And the ability to make foes' heads spin as you rush about the battlefield.
    The Martial Artist: A Combat Stamina-focused Unchained Monk archetype

Feel free to provide honest, constructive criticism! Or, heck, even just tell me if you like a thing I made, and what you like about it.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Blue is, generally, for sarcasm on this forum, so it's a joke magic item replicating a mundane crossbow via magical alterations to normal bows (in case you didn't notice, it has a Faint Transmutation aura). Though I'd actually kind of like to see a bit of the crunch rephrased so that it actually has some real use over non-magical crossbows. Probably by expressing it as divergence from a normal bow, instead of specifically expressing a normal crossbow, such that you now get to stack extra modifications normally unusable on crossbows. Like the strength bonus allowance.
    Now you see I'd use the launch bolt spell to make a reactionless gun; remove the actual bow and just have a stock and a hand cranked ammo feed

Omegaupdate Forum

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

271:

Utility Glove

This unusually bulky yellow leather glove has a faintly glowing semi-precious stone set into it on the knuckle of each finger and one on the back of the hand for a total of six stones. By pressing a stone and saying a corresponding command word one of the effects activates as listed below. Once a stone is pressed it stops glowing for that day and the effect cannot be activated again until the following day.

Amber - Touch of Fatigue
    Garnet - Prestidigitation
    Aquamarine - Open/Close
    Amethyst - Dancing Lights
    Jade - Mending
    Topaz - Ghost Sound

Faint Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, Transmutation, and Universal; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Mending, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Touch of Fatigue; 1000 GP; 2 lbs.

I made a more expensive version a while ago, but it's over 1000 gp.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2018-08-29 at 07:07 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

25. - Top - End - #235

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I made a more expensive version a while ago, but it's over 1000 gp.
    There's another 1001 Magic Items thread without the price limit on it if you want to post the bigger version of your Finity Gauntlet Utility Glove. I think it's fallen of the front page, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2018-08-28 at 11:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    There's another 1001 Magic Items thread without the price limit on it if you want to post the bigger version of your Finity Gauntlet Utility Glove. I think it's fallen of the front page, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
    Not necessarily an upgrade in the effects so much as a different sort of direction with the design... from a certain point of view (): http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...6&postcount=99
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

27. - Top - End - #237

272.) Reactionless Crossbow (3.5e)- This is the stock and barrel of a light crossbow minus the actual bow part. Despite missing the bow it fires the same as a normal light crossbow, using the same weapon stats and proficiency. Because it doesn't need to be wound it can be fired using the user's full number of attacks per round. Because it is missing the bow and mechanical mechanisms it is considerably lighter than a normal light crossbow. Although both magic and a weapon it does not count as a magic weapon and it does not pierce DR as such.

Faint transmutatiom; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, launch bolt; Price 1001 gp; Weight 1lb
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-08-30 at 12:27 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

28. - Top - End - #238

273.) Ultraphosphorescent Tree

This is a tree which, at night or in the dark, re-emits the light absorbed by its leaves during the day, despite having also already used that same light for other purposes. The light shines back out of the leaves. The light emitted is violet in color, green light having reflected rather than absorbed, but is otherwise equivalent to a light spell. The tree cannot shine if it has not been charged with light, but the light does not have to be from the sun. It is possible for a group of these trees to all charge each other and act as a light source underground.

Faint evocation; CL 1; Craft Wondrous Item, Light; Price 250 gp - Much of the cost of creation is in the form of hiring people to do garden type work (profession skills)

(Price breakdown: continuous cl 1 caster 1/2 spell in immovable wondrous architecture. Price hike for continuous spell with duration of less than hours waived in exchange for extra limitations (ie. must be charged, and light is missing its green component))

Omegaupdate Forum

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Pot of Relief: This nondescript chamber pot is enchanted to generate a thick fog around those who use it, giving a degree of privacy. It is famous among adventurers so that they wouldn't need to do their business in the woods away from camp without humiliating themselves in front of their party.

Portability Sheath: A small sheath akin to that of a dagger enchanted to hold a specific weapon perfectly. Any weapon that is assigned to the sheath can be hidden or stored like a dagger as long as it is sheathed. It is useful for the stealthier of fighters and barbarians who wish to not be found out by the silhouette of their enormous blades.

Plate of Self-repair: Upon being smashed, this clay plate will reassemble itself automatically, leaving no sliver of ceramic material behind. Although the enchantment was originally meant for castle walls, the wizard responsible for the enchantment's creation found that it was too weak of a spell to actually be of use in a siege, but decided that it had its uses outside of combat. He assumes that it could be used for easily-shattered weapons and vials for potions, but has little time to experiment with the idea since his new business took off.

Ring of Confetti Generation: Once upon a time, there was a wizard who had a really annoying friend. This friend was so annoying, that whenever they said something obvious, the wizard would toss a handful of confetti and proclaim "You just figured this out?!" However, confetti was expensive at the time, so he made a ring to replicate the effect. By raising one's hand, a bunch of colored paper streams forth from the gem on this ring. Perfect for parties.
    "My new favorite spell is Ice Knife, because it is a throwing knife made from ice, and a grenade."

30. - Top - End - #240

BardGuy

278. Sphere of the Eight

This glossy black orb has a single flat face with a small, circular glass window on it revealing a deep blue inky liquid within. Suspended in the dark liquid is an oddly shaped faceted stone. Opposite this flat face, a small white circle on the orb is emblazoned with the mark of Eight.
    The sphere of the eight functions much like a phylactery of faithfulness. If the bearer of a sphere consults it when contemplating a course of action, the sphere is able to tell its user if a course of action or an item could adversely affect his alignment or standing with his deity. To do this, the user shakes the sphere while asking a question and then gazes into the window. The faceted stone within the sphere surfaces from the inky depths, pressing one face against the window making the markings on it legible. The stone usually responds with a simple yes, no, or maybe, though short phrases are possible.
    To the best of its ability, the sphere always attempts to steer its user away from actions conflicting with his alignment. If the user seeks advice regarding a situation from which no course of action conflicts with the user's alignment, the sphere grants an answer completely at random. If every option offered to the sphere conflicts with the user's alignment, the it responds with an answer such as "I don't know," or "Ask again later."

Faint divination; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law; Price 900 gp.