Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1245
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    The point is, one online strip says Thirden is Durkon's uncle, another online strip says they are not related. This apparent contradiction has confused at least one person.
    False. The question was raised on June 22, 2015. The strip saying they are not related was published on July 19, 2018.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Remember, not all readers are native English speakers. They can miss subtleties of language such as the use of Uncle as meaning "family friend."
    The convention exists in multiple cultures, and is not specific only to Anglo-derived people.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-05-15 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Wrong people.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Ron Miel perhaps this will make things clear for you.

Thuth... I am a male who baby sat for 3 year old girl that I was not related to.
    This girl was blonde hair blue eyes. I am brown hair brown eyes.

She was 4 foot tall at 4 years old I am 5 foot 4 inches tall.

A code Adam was called in a department store when we walked in.
    Code Adam description: all exits are blocked by security. Store detectives are sent to follow the adult and child. They confront the adult to make them leave the child to await police. This is to rescue kidnapped victims.

Mom worked at the store. A Co-worker knew me so after telephone call and paying attention to her actions it got called off.

Had a city chief of police question the relationship. Telling people I was her "uncle by marriage" relieved all suspension and was accepted for me to have contact with her. Never had to resort to that tactic but it would have worked perfectly.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Far more pages have been wasted arguing over this than the single reference actually takes up.

And the page-to-new-quote ratio in the past couple of threads cycles between tedious and ridiculous.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Far more pages have been wasted arguing over this than the single reference actually takes up.
    Then it's a good thing I don't use the discussion to search for quotes.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Then it's a good thing I don't use the discussion to search for quotes.
    Agreed.

As for the current topic, its not the job of this index to explain common communication conventions. If somebody gets confused, literally anybody can just explain that calling somebody aunt/uncle without them actually being related is a common thing, we don't need a special quote from the Giant to clear it up.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    And the page-to-new-quote ratio in the past couple of threads cycles between tedious and ridiculous.
    I think the new-quote-over-time rate is the bigger factor there.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Troll in the Playground

I think we should delete it.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Think this comment could be added to the 'art' section.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Think this comment could be added to the 'art' section.
    Agreed. The post in question, to save y'all a click:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    It's an art mistake. Fixed now.

I often draw comic panels out of order based on what I feel like doing first or last, whether that's due to mood or difficulty or what have you. In this case, I drew those end panels early on, but I didn't decide she was going to lose her axe until I drew the overhead-shot panel and decided I wanted the axe at the bottom to illustrate the distance down. I didn't notice the axe was still in the end shot afterwards.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree as well.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ogre in the Playground

Also agreed.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I also concur.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

13. - Top - End - #1213

Okay since the next update cycle is at most fifteen days away....

It's looking like these two will get in without a vote....

Proposed Additions
    Comic Panels are Often Drawn Out of Order
    "...based on what I feel like doing first or last, whether that's due to mood or difficulty or what have you."
    #1166 2019/06/07
    Miko's Blade Blood-Bathing Comment in #120
    "...she's under the impression that some clearly evil force like a giant demon or something is responsible, so the speech there is mostly grandstanding. Once she sees Durkon explains they are not evil, the bloodlust backs away."
    #285 2006/02/23

No one's commented on my proposed rewording of these two, and that's always done at my discretion....

Nonsubstantive Alterations
    "How the Paladin Got His Scar" is in the New Art Style
    Unless it's meant to be inserted in the middle of older art. Also, How the Paladin Got His Scar is in grayscale instead of bluescale, because the color-less art's reliance on dark separating lines didn't work out with a single blue color.
    #1042 2016/07/03
    Plotting the Girard's Gate Arc
    "Writing begins with the scenes that I want to have happen, and then I develop stuff around them to make that seem reasonable."
    #906 2013/07/28

And at last count, there was a majority that considers Thirden not being Durkon's biological uncle unworthy of inclusion; so if that trend remains intact it'll come to a vote.

Substantive Alterations
    About Thirden
    He made an effort to improve his diction over the years, and "Squeaky" is a nickname about his singing voice.
    #991 2015/06/22

And of course, the removal of the no-longer-available Roy Fighting HPoH at the Godsmoot quote is not optional (as I've been moderator-a-ly informed not to get around the thread no longer being publicly visible, so it can't possibly meet Rule A now); and splitting "Character Development and Backstory" into its own category isn't going to have much difference since that post of mine.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-06-07 at 02:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    And of course, the removal of the no-longer-available Roy Fighting HPoH at the Godsmoot
    Spoiler
    Show

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #1215

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    And of course, the removal of the no-longer-available Roy Fighting HPoH at the Godsmoot
    Spoiler
    Show

See, this way you aren't forced to take my word for it that it's unavailable.

16. - Top - End - #1216

And of course, the removal of the no-longer-available Roy Fighting HPoH at the Godsmoot quote is not optional (as I've been moderator-a-ly informed not to get around the thread no longer being publicly visible, so it can't possibly meet Rule A now)
    Can't you just repost the post itself in the same way the Twitter Q&A is reposted? The ban relates to Waybacking the thread as a whole, no?
    Last edited by Reboot; 2019-06-08 at 06:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Can't you just repost the post itself in the same way the Twitter Q&A is reposted? The ban relates to Waybacking the thread as a whole, no?
    Even if the mods allowed that, which I am skeptical of, its still in violation of Guideline A, which is that the quote must still be available online.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, even if that quote were still available, I think it is rendered redundant by the fact that most of the rest of book six has since been released.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Even if the mods allowed that, which I am skeptical of, its still in violation of Guideline A, which is that the quote must still be available online.
    Sheriff: Your sense that we would not view that favorably is correct. I appreciate you holding the line on this.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2019-06-08 at 09:07 PM.
    Forum Rules

Roland in the Dark by Djinn in Tonic

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, waybacking is against the rules? That's the exact opposite of what I understanded from the guideline A.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1221

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Wait, waybacking is against the rules? That's the exact opposite of what I understanded from the guideline A.
    I suspect that waybacking is permitted for threads from before the forum was purged of old threads. Unless that is this situation, then I would not know.

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meus est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not a humanoid. Come not be one too.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Fair cop, I didn't actually read the fine print on A, which calls out the wayback machine as a valid source. But since Roland has come and used his modly voice to say Thou Shalt Not Do That, I don't think theres much point in discussing it anyway.

23. - Top - End - #1223

Fair cop, I didn't actually read the fine print on A, which calls out the wayback machine as a valid source. But since Roland has come and used his modly voice to say Thou Shalt Not Do That, I don't think theres much point in discussing it anyway.
    To paraphrase the PM I received from Roland St. Jude when I asked a month ago: The post in question, along with the entire thread it was part of, was intentionally moved out of the publicly visible section of the board via moderator action; using the Wayback Machine to get to it again would thus be circumventing the moderator's decision...as I imagine any method of recreating the post's content would (and looking up, it appears Roland St. Jude agrees with that assessment).

Using the Wayback Machine isn't disallowed in itself. We do in fact have one such entry for a lost thread (the original mention of which predates the initial idea of having Index rules....so I imagine the entry itself is why the rules call out using the Wayback Machine as allowed):

References and Influences
    The Dwarven god Thor
    OOTS Thor is not based off of D&D Thor. Until referenced in the comic, the Nordic legends/mythology does not exist in OOTSverse.
    #86 2004/07/12

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

"This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Do you think it would be worth it to rephrase the rules to make this more clear? Something like this (with my addition in bold):

Rule A: The quote or comment must still be accessible online.

1) | This includes the use of The Internet Wayback Machine and other methods of accessing comments that may not still exist in the archive, with the exception of quotes removed by the moderators.
    I think this would help in case this ever comes up again.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Troll in the Playground

I support the lurker above's edit.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'd like to think that "when a mod says not to include something, don't include it" is sufficiently obvious that we don't need a specific rule for it. Im also not confidant that this is a common enough situation that we even need to worry about it. Its going to be very rare that The Giant comments in a thread in any way other than red text, then later have the entire thread removed.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like to think that "when a mod says not to include something, don't include it" is sufficiently obvious that we don't need a specific rule for it. Im also not confidant that this is a common enough situation that we even need to worry about it. Its going to be very rare that The Giant comments in a thread in any way other than red text, then later have the entire thread removed.
    Agree. “Obey the mods” is rule 0 across the board. We don’t need to explicitly add it.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #1229

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Agree. “Obey the mods” is rule 0 across the board. We don’t need to explicitly add it.
    Perhaps more importantly, it's unlikely to be immediately obvious whether a thread is missing because of technical issue or administrative intent; and I'm not going to put the onus of finding that out on quote proposers, which putting a specific mention in the rules would imply. If anyone wants to propose using the Wayback Machine (or a similar service) to cite a quote that isn't available via the current forum, go right ahead; let me worry about determining whether I'd get an infraction for including it in the Index.

...so does the Wayback tangent mean everyone's okay with my thrown-together "Miko's Blade Blood-Bathing Comment in #120" entry title?

Miko's Blade Blood-Bathing Comment in #120
    "...she's under the impression that some clearly evil force like a giant demon or something is responsible, so the speech there is mostly grandstanding. Once she sees Durkon explains they are not evil, the bloodlust backs away."
    #285 2006/02/23

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Troll in the Playground

I'm okay with it.
    Spoiler
    Show