New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1469
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

So has the Giant ever commented on Tentacles of forced intrusion?
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    So has the Giant ever commented on Tentacles of forced intrusion?
    In an interview. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...14&postcount=6

IIRC, there was also some comment where he said he regretted them because of the rape connotations, but I don't remember if it was on the forum or in book commentary.

3. - Top - End - #1023

It's under the "writing" spoiler, subsection "real world intent" with the title "distasteful jokes".

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Yes, I regret it, and no, it will never, ever show up again.

And no, not because it would be a Conjuration spell and I subsequently determined that V had barred Conjuration magic. Although sure, that too.

4. - Top - End - #1024

Okay. I guess there goes any fan theory that the webcomic is divinely inspired. Rich is just a mere mortal.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

There likely won't be any more tribute strips.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ettin in the Playground

Some random ancient post I stumbled upon regarding Shojo being a direct servant of his gods and Miko's alignment:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=649
    I'm not sure it deserves inclusion but I figured someone here might care about it.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #1027

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Some random ancient post I stumbled upon regarding Shojo being a direct servant of his gods and Miko's alignment:
    I'm not sure it deserves inclusion but I figured someone here might care about it.
    Huh. Lacuna Caster pulls that quote out so often I just assumed it was already indexed.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Huh. Lacuna Caster pulls that quote out so often I just assumed it was already indexed.
    I can recall referencing it maybe 3 or 4 times.

I could give you a few others that were lost to the server wipe, but they'd be strictly from memory and probably not word for word accurate.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

9. - Top - End - #1029

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    I can recall referencing it maybe 3 or 4 times.
    Huh. I'm just wrong all over the place today.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think it’s sort of redundant with what Shojo himself says during the trial.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I think it’s sort of redundant with what Shojo himself says during the trial.
    It's a direct rebuttal of some of the more common accusations against Miko at the time. (e.g, that entering foreign territories to perform bag-and-grab operations would be grossly-unlawful behaviour and therefore fall-worthy.)

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    There likely won't be any more tribute strips.
    Hmm, seems a bit too indirect for my tastes...what's everyone else think?

How does everyone else feel about this one? (Adding it as a general "see also" on one of the existing entries about Lawful alignments, as well as a new entry for how it pertains to Miko and Shojo specifically, seems like the way to go if we decide to include it.)
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #1033

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    For the most part, I'd agree. The first paragraph is the on-point bit.
    How does everyone else feel about this one? (Adding it as a general "see also" on one of the existing entries about Lawful alignments, as well as a new entry for how it pertains to Miko and Shojo specifically, seems like the way to go if we decide to include it.)
    I'm cool with that.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

While am generally for absolutely any inclusion. I don't see the point of this one. Stan Lee is dead and in a couple of months noone will be asking fora tribute comic. Which in of itself seemed odd to me.

15. - Top - End - #1035

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    While am generally for absolutely any inclusion. I don't see the point of this one. Stan Lee is dead and in a couple of months noone will be asking fora tribute comic. Which in of itself seemed odd to me.
    Could say the same for Scar being in the new art style, as will everything else going forward. Giants never gone backwards in art style, after all, and yet.

The relevance isn't about Stan Lee. It's about tribute comics in general. Which, yes, is rare, but rare things pop up sometimes. Only one person ever thought Malack's vampirism was an LGBT allegory, but we've indexed the "no" to that.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-11-29 at 08:49 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm for including both.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm for including both.
    Also for including both. The second one seems pretty clearly relevant, and the first quote, while mostly about Stan Lee, does indeed still have a connection to the comic in the first paragraph.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2018-11-29 at 10:48 AM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #1038

The quote about no tribute strips I think is worth including. I recall one time in the past where it came up: someone asked if there would be a tribute strip for Jack Vance. This quote could work as a general reminder that there likely won't be any more for anyone.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

Include the "no tribute strips" one.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

20. - Top - End - #1040

BlueWizardGirl

I haven't been here before, but I think both should be included.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Linneris View Post
    In an interview. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...14&postcount=6

IIRC, there was also some comment where he said he regretted them because of the rape connotations, but I don't remember if it was on the forum or in book commentary.
    While the original never bothered me especially, I'm not clear on how the recent Slaad joke doesn't have similar or worse connotations?

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Barbarian in the Playground

which recent slaad joke

23. - Top - End - #1043

Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    which recent slaad joke
    The current strip, but a better question would be, does this actually relate to indexing Rich's comments, or is it about starting some kind of proxy argument with him?

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The current strip, but a better question would be, does this actually relate to indexing Rich's comments, or is it about starting some kind of proxy argument with him?
    No, I'm honestly more curious about why the readership is bothered by the one and not the other. It doesn't bother me much either way, but like, why?
    Last edited by Lacuna Caster; 2018-12-01 at 09:44 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, I'm honestly more curious about why the readership is bothered by the one and not the other. It doesn't bother me much either way, but like, why?
    The implantation of a slaad tadpole is typically not an act that one would consider sex, but even within the context of the joke, this is seemingly intended to be an ill conceived one night stand (ie consensual sex) that resulted in "pregnancy".
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #1046

That's off topic on this thread, I think.

Regarding the two quotes most recently mentioned, I'm for inclusion.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Troll in the Playground

Include both.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

I'm really not sure if a quote from 2005 about Miko and Shojo tells us anything useful at this point.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #1049

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I'm really not sure if a quote from 2005 about Miko and Shojo tells us anything useful at this point.
    I think the main benefit from it (since Shojo had not yet been revealed as an aristocrat rather than a divine caster, and so the stuff about him being a "servant of the gods" may have an element of red herring about it) - is that it shows that, from The Giant's perspective, Miko is very Lawful, but not very Good.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-12-02 at 02:38 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I've been saving this quote for my own annotation project, but the Giant said something on twitter that I found interesting and realized it might be worth putting on here.

Here's the link: https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/statu...20904571031552

Here's the actual conversation:

Rich: [Regarding Strip 1087] Huh, looks like I used that name for a comic already. I'm going to rename this one...

Ultizeta: Well, there are two comics named Role Reversal, so it's not the first time it's happened

Rich: Right, which is why I want to avoid it. People tend to assume there's a secret meaning to it, rather than that I have a bad memory.

Me: Have you ever intentionally matched 2 comic titles like 333 & 877's "The Bright Side" or are all matching titles chalked up to memory loss?

Rich: All memory loss. The title is written at the last second before posting, so usually my first workable idea gets used.

Basically, according to Rich, he never has made titles with the same name on purpose. Always by accident. I was a little surprised by that, given that there's give or take 11 matching titles, I figured at least one or two matches were on purpose, especially the one I highlighted since the reference is pretty clear.

Anyway, I figured I'd put this up and see what people thought about inclusion.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2018-12-04 at 02:50 PM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)