New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmegil View Post
    Seems like some semblance of a changed circumstance should be necessary before removing, especially when we're still using the lopsided +2 rule to keep things in the index.
    Does that mean now's the time to talk about codifying removal procedure (again)?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

I would say get rid of the Munchkin quote. It's incredibly specific (I don't think Munchkin cards are very mainstream) and kinda silly (since there already is an OOTS card game which apparently is very similar to Munchkin). I think the amount of people who have wondered "Will there ever be a Munchkin card game" may possibly number only that one person.

However, an OOTS video game is much more mainstream, and is a possibility that I would think a large portion of readers have thought about at some point. I think that quote is a good one to keep.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-03-24 at 05:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I would say get rid of the Munchkin quote. It's incredibly specific (I don't think Munchkin cards are very mainstream) and kinda silly (since there already is an OOTS card game which apparently is very similar to Munchkin). I think the amount of people who have wondered "Will there ever be a Munchkin card game" may possibly number only that one person.

However, an OOTS video game is much more mainstream, and is a possibility that I would think a large portion of readers have thought about at some point. I think that quote is a good one to keep.
    Munchkin is pretty widely sold, Target carries it, I think Walmart carries it, Barnes and Noble carries it, Books a Million carries it. I think I've seen it at a grocery store and am sure I've seen it at a drug store.

Nor is Munchkin much like the existing OotS game, both have cards and rooms and monsters and treasures, but that comes pretty close to exhausting the similarities. Munchkin is a LOT faster playing. I don't see that much overlap.

Video games are HARD to make, and tie-ins are usually to really widely known things like major movies; similarly, video games are a big enough deal that major movies are made based on them. Web-comics, not so much. Conversely, Munchkin regularly produces new sets, and uses webcomic artists as artists.

I could much more readily see a munchkin tie in than almost any other form of commercial tie in. I'd never have considered a videogame tie in.

I think you've got which is more likely reversed.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Munchkin is pretty widely sold, Target carries it, I think Walmart carries it, Barnes and Noble carries it, Books a Million carries it. I think I've seen it at a grocery store and am sure I've seen it at a drug store.

Nor is Munchkin much like the existing OotS game, both have cards and rooms and monsters and treasures, but that comes pretty close to exhausting the similarities. Munchkin is a LOT faster playing. I don't see that much overlap.

Video games are HARD to make, and tie-ins are usually to really widely known things like major movies; similarly, video games are a big enough deal that major movies are made based on them. Web-comics, not so much. Conversely, Munchkin regularly produces new sets, and uses webcomic artists as artists.

I could much more readily see a munchkin tie in than almost any other form of commercial tie in. I'd never have considered a videogame tie in.

I think you've got which is more likely reversed.
    1) What decade are you living in? A developer could create an OOTS game for mobile in a week. They already have a Futurama mobile game, and Futurama is a MUCH bigger property than OOTS, so it certainly can't be said that OOTS is too big for mobile.

2)I'm not talking about "which scenario is more likely", I'm talking about "which scenario is more likely to be asked about". And while the Munchkin card game might be popular, it's popularity isn't even close to being close to the popularity of "video games". I would be willing to bet the amount of people who have heard of "video games" is thousands of times more than the amount of people who have heard of "Munchkin card game". (Even more than that outside of a community which reads a D&D themed webcomic)

So yes, the average Munchkin card owner might realize that there is a chance that OOTS would do a tie-in, but the average OOTS reader has a MUCH higher chance of being in the "has heard of video games, and knows that they do tie-ins" group than in the "has heard of Munchkin, and knows they do tie-ins" group.

Therefore, the amount of people who would wonder why there is not an OOTS video game (since there are literally millions of mobile video games, a large number of which are tie-ins) would indeed be much higher than the amount of people who wonder why there is not a Munchkin card game.

3)As I have never heard of or played Munchkin, I was referring to this quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    The OOTS game is very, very similar to munchkin, in my and my gaming group's honest opinion, except OOTS is better. more strategic and cooperative.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and 4) If you read the quotes, the Munchin card game is summed up as "I have an exclusive deal with Ape for OOTS card games, so this isn't going to happen", but the video game quote is summed up as "I've been approached 3 times, and THEY backed out (implying that Rich was open to the idea". So the fact that an OOTS video game is still a (albeit slim) possibility makes this quote more worthwhile, even more so due to the explosion of popularity in quickly and easily made mobile video games that you are apparently unaware of.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-03-25 at 11:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

1) What decade are you living in? A developer could create an OOTS game for mobile in a week. They already have a Futurama mobile game, and Futurama is a MUCH bigger property than OOTS, so it certainly can't be said that OOTS is too big for mobile.
    Where did I say it was too big? It's far too niche and too small for anyone to do a major video game. I said vidoe tie in games are typically things like major motion pictures and you think that I'm objecting that a webcomic is TOO BIG!

What planet are you living on? And in what universe?
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2016-03-25 at 11:40 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Where did I say it was too big? It's far too niche and too small for anyone to do a major video game. I said vidoe tie in games are typically things like major motion pictures and you think that I'm objecting that a webcomic is TOO BIG!

What planet are you living on? And in what universe?
    LOL what on earth makes you think a mobile game needs to be tied in with a large franchise to succeed? There are literally tens of millions of games which prove that premise wrong.

I mean, if you honestly think OOTS (or anything, for that matter) is too SMALL of a property for a mobile video game, then you obviously know absolutely nothing about mobile video games. Mobile video games are often created by small companies or even individuals invented totally out of the blue. The fact that a game has ANY outside connection prior to being created would make it more accessible than a large portion of existing mobile games.

So what universe do I live in? I live in this crazy universe where every day thousands of games are created which have no ties to any properties at all, and therefore the idea that a property is "too small" for a video game is laughable.

Now, your argument isn't dumb, or ludicrous, or wrong. It is a perfectly reasonable argument for, say 10 years ago, when mobile games were still very obscure and a tiny market and video games were still actually difficult to create, and tying them to a large franchise was a good way toi ensure popularity. It's not a bad argument, it's actually very quaint, like my dad telling a company that he will complain about them to Consumer Reports or asking why no one watches the evening news anymore or wonders when gas will be $.30 a gallon again. I kinda enjoy it when people don't realize what decade it is.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-03-25 at 12:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

....We don't have "commercial viability" as criteria for inclusion, so I'm having a hard time understanding how this branch of conversation relates to the inclusion of quotes that brought it about....

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    ....We don't have "commercial viability" as criteria for inclusion, so I'm having a hard time understanding how this branch of conversation relates to the inclusion of quotes that brought it about....
    I totally agree. I'll go back to my original statement.

A much larger number of OOTS readers have heard of video games than Munchkin card games, so therefore the amount of people who are curious about them will be much larger, and therefore I think the video game quote should stay while the card game quote should go.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

A much larger number of OOTS readers have heard of video games than Munchkin card games, so therefore the amount of people who are curious about them will be much larger, and therefore I think the video game quote should stay while the card game quote should go.
    I dunno...if we're looking at it from that angle, I'd think the mention of the card/board game exclusivity arrangement makes that quote far more broadly applicable than the few specific instances of the video games.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

You're forgetting this isn't a sane thread anymore.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

I dunno...if we're looking at it from that angle, I'd think the mention of the card/board game exclusivity arrangement makes that quote far more broadly applicable than the few specific instances of the video games.
    I'm just trying to say that I think more people have thought in their head "I wonder why there isn't an OOTS video game" than "I wonder why there isn't an OOTS Munchkin card game"

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    You're forgetting this isn't a sane thread anymore.
    It's no less sane now than it was before, though.

After all, the last thread ended with discussion about what plantains are because of how the word plantain is pronounced because some pronunciation is loosely to similar to "phantom" because a desire to have the thread title reference Star Wars even if the numbering didn't quite match; an ultimately tenuous connection to be sure, but a connection that exists (Maybe I should've suggested "Should've Shien This Coming", but I still think that was way too obscure)

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, it's too obscure. What does it reference? (I'm guessing it's a Sean Connery line from some movie.)
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Yeah, it's too obscure. What does it reference? (I'm guessing it's a Sean Connery line from some movie.)
    The rather generic "Should've seen this coming" on account of the banana theme starting to lose f(l)avor, and the fifth form of lightsaber combat, what with this being the fifth Index thread. (Given how much I love finding loose connections, I don't declare something "too obscure" lightly )

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The rather generic "Should've seen this coming" on account of the banana theme starting to lose f(l)avor, and the fifth form of lightsaber combat, what with this being the fifth Index thread. (Given how much I love finding loose connections, I don't declare something "too obscure" lightly )
    Doesn't seem any more obscure than referencing a banana joke that has since been scrubbed.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Doesn't seem any more obscure than referencing a banana joke that has since been scrubbed.
    That you could have seen without ever having left this forum...And even though the effect is greatly diminished without the image, you could possibly figure it out (and the title proposal I ended up going with was made pre-scrub anyway). Most importantly, "banana" is a common English word; so even without knowing about the joke it looks like a silly title on its face, rather than a firm appearance of missing something (which is where I draw the line between a reference and an in-joke; an in-joke breaks flow by leaving no doubt that you're missing something if you aren't privy to it already, while a reference only has reduced effect).

Meanwhile, none the names of lightsaber forms are even mentioned in the movies that I can recall, and with this not being a Star Wars forum there's no reason familiarity with secondary or tertiary material should be expected for the general audience. And "Shien" is certainly not a common English word....

17. - Top - End - #287
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wow, this current page is the least thread-relevant in a long time

To get back in topic, let me suggest a new quote: Why some books make for a much bigger PDF file than others.

18. - Top - End - #288

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post

To get back in topic, let me suggest a new quote: Why some books make for a much bigger PDF file than others.

Good grief! An actual quote from the Giant? In this thread? I thought this thread was just about voting and arguing these days?

Seriously though, this thread has become a lot less useful for tracking new quotes.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JustIgnoreMe View Post

Good grief! An actual quote from the Giant? In this thread? I thought this thread was just about voting and arguing these days?

Seriously though, this thread has become a lot less useful for tracking new quotes.
    Amusingly, your comment lamenting this only contributes to the same.

I like the new quote. It's useful.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by JustIgnoreMe View Post
    People keep complaining about this, but that was never its actual intended purpose. It's a reference work, not a feed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah, I'm for including the new quote.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    People keep complaining about this, but that was never its actual intended purpose. It's a reference work, not a feed.
    This.

If you want something else, simply get on the Giant's forum profile and click on "Find latest posts", like you'd do for any other forumer.
    ungelic is us

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Re: the game and card game quotes, could they not be combined? Perhaps add one - and any future adaptation questions - as See Also of the other.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Firbolg in the Playground

I, too, believe the new quote is worth including.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post

Adding my support to including this.
    -.____________________

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Proposed for inclusion: The Giant's comments on why he won't include a random button.

This is a suggestion that has been made at least three times over the last few years.
    1) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=random+button
    2)http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=random+button
    3) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=random+button

The most recent one is today. I went to the index looking for the quote, but it doesn't seem to be there. Probably nobody thought it worth including before. But since this is a question that comes up occasionally, I think it is worth including.
    -.____________________

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Eeeehhhhhh. Seems more about site functionality than about the comic. Convince me otherwise, though, and my support will follow.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #298
    Colossus in the Playground

I vote for including it.

29. - Top - End - #299

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    This.

If you want something else, simply get on the Giant's forum profile and click on "Find latest posts", like you'd do for any other forumer.
    For a number of years that didn't work so the early quote threads did serve that function. It still isn't necessarily a good way to find a quote on a subject, but at least now one can use it to occasionally check directly rather than watch this thread for new posts.

30. - Top - End - #300

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    For a number of years that didn't work so the early quote threads did serve that function. It still isn't necessarily a good way to find a quote on a subject, but at least now one can use it to occasionally check directly rather than watch this thread for new posts.
    If I remember correctly, the failure of the forum's search function was one of the reasons for the index being created. It's certainly what it was used for during that time.

Times change, of course, but this thread has changed from one that I read regularly because it provided me with useful information, to one that I feel I can pretty much ignore now because it has stopped providing me with useful information. Which is a shame, because I'm not likely to start forum-stalking the Giant's every post on the offchance that one of them tells me something new about OotS.