New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    In fact, I'll go so far as to propose the removal of the whole "Hel has no living worshipers" quote, on the grounds that it has now been made redundant by the comic itself. The Giant wrote this in answer to the question, "Why didn't Hel try bequeathing her powers on someone not undead?": That question is now answered in #1083. No one would ask this question today, and if they did, the answer would lie in the comic, not the Index.
    Ignoring my other issues with it, the quote does have some things not mentioned in the comic, like that Hel can make undead her cleric due to the direct connection with their negative energy (but can’t just give them XP).

Peelee’s Lotsey

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Ignoring my other issues with it, the quote does have some things not mentioned in the comic, like that Hel can make undead her cleric due to the direct connection with their negative energy (but can’t just give them XP).
    That's in the comic too, isn't it? I believe its Greg who mentions that every time Hel finds an undead intelligent enough to grant clerical powers to the normal way (starting at level 1), they end up as a boss in some low level dungeon and get killed.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #903
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

And no deity can just give their clerics XP, which is the entire crux of the goblin issue.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #904
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That's in the comic too, isn't it? I believe its Greg who mentions that every time Hel finds an undead intelligent enough to grant clerical powers to the normal way (starting at level 1), they end up as a boss in some low level dungeon and get killed.
    That might be, but I don’t think there’s any mention of the link through negative energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    And no deity can just give their clerics XP, which is the entire crux of the goblin issue.
    Ah, yeah, that’s a fair point.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

In case anyone missed it from the last page, there's a vote going on:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Item up for voting:

• Please bold your keep/remove votes, it'll make it easier for me to notice when I go through and count everything.
    • If you feel inclined to vote with "yes" or "no", please describe your position so I can tell the difference between "yes, keep it" or "yes, remove it".
    • Per Rule H1, removal by vote requires a quote to have two more votes in favor of removal than votes against removal.

Voting will be open until August 25nd, 8PM EDT.
    ...apparently we're also discussing if/how comic link(s) should be added to replace the quote being removed. (We'll circle around to other quotes after this vote is done....)
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #906
    Barbarian in the Playground

I vote that the link text is replaced, not removed.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

7. - Top - End - #907
    Colossus in the Playground

I vote replace, rather than remove.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #908

I would like Jasdoif to chime in and confirm/deny, but I would wager the only votes that will count for anything currently are Remove or Keep. Replace votes will likely not be counted at all, and will be treated as Abstain. After the vote is when the discussion of replacing will take place.

That's just how I'm reading it. Summon Banana I!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-08-23 at 01:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #909

I would wager the only votes that will count for anything currently are Remove or Keep. Replace votes will likely not be counted at all, and will be treated as Abstain.
    Maybe Replace should be treated as "Remove But Replace with Something" - Remove should be treated as "Remove And Replace With Nothing"

so both count toward "Remove" votes - so if all those significantly outnumber "Keep" (that is, by 2 or more) - then it passes.

And if there are significantly more (two or more) "Remove and Replace With Something" votes than "Remove and Replace With Nothing" votes - then the new link is included - otherwise, not.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-08-23 at 12:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #910

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Maybe Replace should be treated as "Remove But Replace with Something" - Remove should be treated as "Remove And Replace With Nothing"

so both count toward "Remove" votes - so if all those significantly outnumber "Keep" - then it passes

and if there are significant more "Remove and Replace With Something" than "Remove and Replace With Nothing" - then the new link is included - otherwise, not.
    Which I have no issue against, I just figured that assuming Replace being treated as Abstain would be more fair than Remove & Stuff, since I'm already in the remove camp.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-08-23 at 01:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Troll in the Playground

My vote is still remove, and not replace.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #912

Replace. Pending information from Jasdoif about whether that's an option.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

I would like Jasdoif to chime in and confirm/deny, but I would wager the only votes that will count for anything currently are Remove or Keep. Replace votes will likely not be counted at all, and will be treated as Abstain. After the vote is when the discussion of replacing will take place.
    "Replace" clearly requires removing what's already there to add something else in its place; so "replace" will count as "remove" for the vote.

Comic links are not quotes, so adding comic links to a description falls firmly under "as I see fit", exactly like rewording an entry's description does. I'll track the (informal) conversation on it to decide how, exactly, I'll update the entry's description.

14. - Top - End - #914

"Replace" clearly requires removing what's already there to add something else in its place; so "replace" will count as "remove" for the vote.

Comic links are not quotes, so adding comic links to a description falls firmly under "as I see fit", exactly like rewording an entry's description does. I'll track the (informal) conversation on it to decide how, exactly, I'll update the entry's description.
    Spoiler: As I erase the summoning circle
    Show

15. - Top - End - #915
    Halfling in the Playground

Replace is what my vote is.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

Item up for voting: The removal of "We'll find out why someday" why Hel has no living worshippers; on the basis of having found out why. (The entry about Hel having no living worshippers will remain in the Index)
    I vote remove.

Incidentally, can you clarify whether I can cast a valid vote in a forum private message to you rather than by posting in the thread for votes like this?

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Incidentally, can you clarify whether I can cast a valid vote in a forum private message to you rather than by posting in the thread for votes like this?
    A vote must be posted in the thread to count.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    I vote remove.

Is there a reason for secret ballot?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Is there a reason for secret ballot?
    I've always felt it cluttered up a thread - so many posts not contributing to the primary purpose of the thread, just its meta maintenance. Thus why I ask for PM votes in the MitD thread. Admittedly, it is not a secret vote - I still collate and publish the results.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #920
    Troll in the Playground

Remove. Its not like the comic is vague about the whole thing so a comment isnt neccesery.

Its like when a lecturer is stopped by a student asking a question on a subject that the lecturer was JUST getting to, its annoying.
    Despite everything, its still me.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I also vote Remove.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #922
    Halfling in the Playground

Remove. Though I keep waffling.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

The Index has been updated.

As I couldn't identify a clear direction on whether consensus was for or against replacing that quote with comic links; I chose to go the route that was the least trouble for me: Simply removing that section of the entry's description. The entry now reads:

Hel Has No Living Worshippers
    "That means literally not one single living person, ever."
    #962 2014/09/11

24. - Top - End - #924

Something that might be worth including in the Other Characters section - since I got into a big debate a few months ago over whether Sarah Greenhilt was actually 19 years old when she met Eugene, as is implied here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0494.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Sarah was pretty monogamous in life, however; she met her husband at age 19.
    Maybe include it as:

Sarah Greenhilt was 19 when she met Eugene Greenhilt

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Something that might be worth including in the Other Characters section - since I got into a big debate a few months ago over whether Sarah Greenhilt was actually 19 years old when she met Eugene, as is implied here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0494.html

Maybe include it as:

Sarah Greenhilt was 19 when she met Eugene Greenhilt
    Nice little bit of backstory. I’d be up for including it.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

It's in the index already.

Racism and Sex in OOTS
    Rich answers two separate concerns: One, whether there is some correlation between skin color and promiscuity, and two, whether there is too much promiscuity among the women portrayed in the comic. The short answer to both is no.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

27. - Top - End - #927

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    It's in the index already.
    Yes - but not tagged to Sara specifically. Next time the topic comes up, it would be handy to be able to point to a link in the Index which says "Sara was 19 when she met Eugene" in its title.

28. - Top - End - #928

RedKnightGirl

On the first page of the latest discussion thread, Lord Torath said: "Rich said that new souls provide more power than old souls."

Anyone know where this is from? Is it already up there? Seems a good quote to put in regarding Hel's plan and the new strips revelation.

29. - Top - End - #929

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Jaros View Post
    On the first page of the latest discussion thread, Lord Torath said: "Rich said that new souls provide more power than old souls."

Anyone know where this is from? Is it already up there? Seems a good quote to put in regarding Hel's plan and the new strips revelation.
    Well, a quote from Lord Torath is not a quote from the Giant. Luckily, we happen to have the relevant quotes from the first (I think? Could have been the second) time this came up.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaros View Post

I was pretty sure there was a thread where someone asserted that all the dwarves who have ever lived must be more than those currently living, so even if Hel got all the currently-living dwarven souls when the world ended, the other gods should still have more power than her, so her plan should fail. So Rich said something along the lines that they should assume that Hel knows what she's doing, so the currently-living 10 million (or whatever number it was) dwarven souls would give her more power than the 100 million (or whatever number) of already-dead dwarven souls give the rest of the pantheon. Really something along the lines of "Assume mechanics that support the story."

I could very easily be mis-remembering, though, and attributing others' words to The Giant.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season