Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1261
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I'm okay with it.
    Seconded.

10 characters min
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Kamorkas in Curse of the Crimson Throne | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

I agree as well.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ogre in the Playground

Works for me.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I agree that the most recent quote is a worthy addition, since it's an interesting insight into the artistic process, both for this strip and in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Perhaps more importantly, it's unlikely to be immediately obvious whether a thread is missing because of technical issue or administrative intent; and I'm not going to put the onus of finding that out on quote proposers, which putting a specific mention in the rules would imply. If anyone wants to propose using the Wayback Machine (or a similar service) to cite a quote that isn't available via the current forum, go right ahead; let me worry about determining whether I'd get an infraction for including it in the Index.
    I think this is a good way of thinking about it, although of course I think we'd all rather avoid having our dear banana curator getting an infraction at all.

And, I'm good with the proposed entry for the quote about Miko's comment.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not sure if it's relevant to this thread's purpose, but Rich has said on Twitter within the last day that people may use the AMFES miniatures for "gameplay streams/videos/whatever." I can't link to the actual tweet right now for some reason, but it's his most recent one as of this writing.

For what it's worth, I think we should include it because people have been (understandably) cautious about how to use the AMFES minis (and, more broadly, how they should use Rich's work for their own personal use). I think this quote mostly settles that: Rich seems OK with people using his products in whatever (fun and legal) way they see fit.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by The Aboleth; 2019-06-18 at 09:07 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    I can't link to the actual tweet right now for some reason
    FTR:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew on Twitter
    So I've had a few people ask me over the last week or two if they're allowed to use the AMFES monster miniatures in their gameplay videos/streams/whatever. Yes! Feel free. They exist to be used.
    Link

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't know...On top of how I'm having a hard time seeing A Monster for Every Season as fiction or comic-related; this seems like an official stance, one that should be in official channels and not an informal collection like the Index. I feel like this runs against the spirit of Rule B in general and B3 in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Index Guidelines
    Rule B: The Index is for collecting only quotes that have to do with the Order of the Stick comic or other fiction works by Rich Burlew.

1) | This excludes non-comic-related opinions, statements, etc. from Rich. So if he says "I like Italian food" or something like that, it is not to be included.

2) | This may include information related to the comic, like Rich's views on Dungeons and Dragons, book publishing, art design, etc. . . so long as these quotes are still within the sphere of comic-related discussion. Uncertainty should be decided by thread poster consensus.

3) | This excludes GiTP forum rules, updates, or general information. That is for the admins and mods to publicize and spread word about, not this index.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I agree with Jasdoif. Let Rich worry about keeping records on his official merchandise.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #1239

On the other hand, it may be useful to have such a quote in the index. We could remove the word 'fiction' from rule B; IMO, the quote is clearly about a work by Rich. Why is the index limited to fiction work, anyway? I could understand limiting it only to the OotS because this is the OotS forum... Was the intention to exclude quotes about the adventure game?
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

10. - Top - End - #1240

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    FTR:

Link

Grey Wolf
    Thank you!

I don't know...On top of how I'm having a hard time seeing A Monster for Every Season as fiction or comic-related; this seems like an official stance, one that should be in official channels and not an informal collection like the Index. I feel like this runs against the spirit of Rule B in general and B3 in particular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I agree with Jasdoif. Let Rich worry about keeping records on his official merchandise.
    I see these points, and think they're valid. While I think the minis themselves qualify as "works of fiction created by Rich," the tweet was about their use by his customers rather than a comment about (for example) the creative process that went into making them. As such, I withdraw my vote for inclusion.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    On the other hand, it may be useful to have such a quote in the index. We could remove the word 'fiction' from rule B; IMO, the quote is clearly about a work by Rich. Why is the index limited to fiction work, anyway? I could understand limiting it only to the OotS because this is the OotS forum... Was the intention to exclude quotes about the adventure game?
    I think that drawings of unreal creatures counts as fiction anyway. I have no objection to including comments about AMFES, or for that matter calendars, T-shirts, etc. Any comments on any OOTS-related work is suitable for inclusion.

Rich says he has had "a few" people ask him about this. If more than one person is confused by this issue, it is worth including it. Vote to include.
    -.____________________

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Troll in the Playground

I think it's not comic-related, exclude it.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ettin in the Playground

I think this doesn't need to be included. It doesn't help the Index's purpose to facilitate discussion of the comic on the forum, and it doesn't pass rule B.

As an aside, the inclusion of "other fiction works" as permissible under rule B is a mistake, in my opinion. It hasn't mattered so far, because we have no quote from Rich about any work of his other than the comic. But, if he produces other works in the future (I sure hope he does), and if he cares to make quotable comments in the forum (which seems unlikely right now, but who knows), then I believe any such future quote would be better collected in a separate index dedicated to this new work.
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Kamorkas in Curse of the Crimson Throne | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

14. - Top - End - #1244

OK, so it looks like that one isn't going in....I will note, however, that the next update cycle starts in three days, and at last count there will be still be a vote to remove an entry:

And at last count, there was a majority that considers Thirden not being Durkon's biological uncle unworthy of inclusion; so if that trend remains intact it'll come to a vote.

Substantive Alterations
    About Thirden
    He made an effort to improve his diction over the years, and "Squeaky" is a nickname about his singing voice.
    #991 2015/06/22

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    As an aside, the inclusion of "other fiction works" as permissible under rule B is a mistake, in my opinion. It hasn't mattered so far, because we have no quote from Rich about any work of his other than the comic. But, if he produces other works in the future (I sure hope he does), and if he cares to make quotable comments in the forum (which seems unlikely right now, but who knows), then I believe any such future quote would be better collected in a separate index dedicated to this new work.
    This is similar to my feelings on the Geekademia transcript being included as part of the Index....So I will extend my stance from it: If someone else actually starts up a thread for it, I'll happily let them take over maintaining it (and conveniently, the forum rules about one thread per topic probably means we wouldn't have to debate a rules alteration here first). Until such time, I feel dropping it would be irresponsible of me.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ettin in the Playground

This is similar to my feelings on the Geekademia transcript being included as part of the Index....So I will extend my stance from it: If someone else actually starts up a thread for it, I'll happily let them take over maintaining it (and conveniently, the forum rules about one thread per topic probably means we wouldn't have to debate a rules alteration here first). Until such time, I feel dropping it would be irresponsible of me.
    Fair. The future apparition of quotes about a new work is a big hypothetical, anyway.

16. - Top - End - #1246

It's that time again!

UPDATE COMING, CALLING FOR VOTES

Proposed Additions/Updates for Index 5.12
    Comic Panels are Often Drawn Out of Order
    "...based on what I feel like doing first or last, whether that's due to mood or difficulty or what have you."
    #1166 2019/06/07 No vote required, will be included.
    "How the Paladin Got His Scar" is in the New Art Style
    Unless it's meant to be inserted in the middle of older art. Also, How the Paladin Got His Scar is in grayscale instead of bluescale, because the color-less art's reliance on dark separating lines didn't work out with a single blue color.
    #1042 2016/07/03 Updated at my discretion.
    Plotting the Girard's Gate Arc
    "Writing begins with the scenes that I want to have happen, and then I develop stuff around them to make that seem reasonable."
    #906 2013/07/28 Updated at my discretion.
    Miko's Blade Blood-Bathing Comment in #120
    "...she's under the impression that some clearly evil force like a giant demon or something is responsible, so the speech there is mostly grandstanding. Once she sees Durkon explains they are not evil, the bloodlust backs away."
    #285 2006/02/23 No vote required, will be included.

Proposed Quote-Removing Alterations for Index 5.12
    Currently: Proposed:
    About Thirden
    He made an effort to improve his diction over the years, and "Squeaky" is a nickname about his singing voice. Also, he's not Durkon's biological uncle.
    => About Thirden
    He made an effort to improve his diction over the years, and "Squeaky" is a nickname about his singing voice.
    #991 2015/06/22 Removals are always voted on.

As seems to be a pattern, since all the additions are going to go in, there's no reason not to skip straight to the removal stage and its vote....

Item up for voting:

• Please bold your keep/remove votes, it'll make it easier for me to notice when I go through and count everything.
    • If you feel inclined to vote with "yes" or "no", please describe your position so I can tell the difference between "yes, keep it" or "yes, remove it".
    • Per Rule H1, removal by vote requires a quote to have two more votes in favor of removal than votes against removal.

Voting will be open until June 25nd, 8PM EDT.

The additions/updates, the non-optional removal of the unavailable Roy Fighting HPoH at the Godsmoot entry, and the splitting of "Character Development and Backstory" into its own category; will be implemented after the vote is concluded.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground

Remove And thanks for all your hard work maintaining this thing!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ettin in the Playground

Remove (really)

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I vote Remove
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's remove it.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm also for removal.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Colossus in the Playground

Remove. Just the "Thirden's not biological uncle" component.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ettin in the Playground

I vote to keep it.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a losing battle, but vote to keep.
    -.____________________

25. - Top - End - #1255

BardGuy

Why not.

Keep.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote to remove the component of the comment in question.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

Remove

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I vote remove

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I vote to remove it. I don’t think it adds anything of value to the Index anymore.

Peelee’s Lotsey

30. - Top - End - #1260

"How the Paladin Got His Scar" is in the New Art Style
    Unless it's meant to be inserted in the middle of older art. Also, How the Paladin Got His Scar is in grayscale instead of bluescale, because the color-less art's reliance on dark separating lines didn't work out with a single blue color.
    That version of the blurb doesn't really work, since "Unless it's meant to be inserted in the middle of older art." doesn't relate to anything else - if you changed it to "And everything from now on will be unless it's meant to be inserted in the middle of older art", it would make more sense.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2019-06-25 at 07:20 PM.