New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1934353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1469
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I think the proposed direction was having all the font-y quotes in a single entry. Maybe something like....

On Changing Font Style
    The failure of the Giant's old computer means the style couldn't stay the same, hence the change from "Comic Sans" to "Wildwords Lowercase".
    #936 2014/01/04

That direction hasn't been firmly established at this point, though.
    I'm fine with that, apart from the minor point that "lowercase" was a typo - the font is actually just Wildwords Lower. Maybe a [sic] or something?

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    I think the proposed direction was having all the font-y quotes in a single entry. Maybe something like....

On Changing Font Style
    The failure of the Giant's old computer means the style couldn't stay the same, hence the change from "Comic Sans" to "Wildwords Lowercase".
    #936 2014/01/04

I'm fine with that, apart from the minor point that "lowercase" was a typo - the font is actually just Wildwords Lower. Maybe a [sic] or something?
    The Giant said "Wildwords Lowercase", hence the quotation marks in the entry description. And in addition to not being certain whether the font or any of its components have ever been titled "Wildwords Lowercase", I am pretty sure that I don't want the Index itself to hold a position on whether or not the Giant's comments are accurate.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

On Changing Font Style
    #936 2014/01/04

I think that looks pretty good to me! I was forgetting that there was a quote already in the Index we could append those two entries to.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

In what's hopefully a trivial change...I've decided that the "Latest Additions" table in the first post (and the closely related banana indicator) that used to show when we added new entries into the Index, will now be a "Latest Updates" table which also show which entries have had quotes added into them as a see also; because I'm reasonably certain adding quotes is more interesting to our audience than adding entries. (Also so I don't have to hide the "Latest Additions" table if there are no new entries in an update, and so I don't have to try explaining why there's an update with no new entries in it.)

Anyway....

Proposed Items for Index 5.13
    🍌On Changing Font Style
    #936 2014/01/04 No vote required, will be included.

With nothing eligible to be voted on, there will be no vote; the entry is now in the Index.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ogre in the Playground

In what's hopefully a trivial change...I've decided that the "Latest Additions" table in the first post (and the closely related banana indicator) that used to show when we added new entries into the Index, will now be a "Latest Updates" table which also show which entries have had quotes added into them as a see also; because I'm reasonably certain adding quotes is more interesting to our audience than adding entries. (Also so I don't have to hide the "Latest Additions" table if there are no new entries in an update, and so I don't have to try explaining why there's an update with no new entries in it.)

Anyway....

Proposed Items for Index 5.13
    🍌On Changing Font Style
    #936 2014/01/04 No vote required, will be included.

With nothing eligible to be voted on, there will be no vote; the entry is now in the Index.
    I'd vote for it :D
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

The Giant weighed in in the current strip’s thread:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This is a misunderstanding of what Loki is saying.

He's not saying he can't say something because his followers would find out and be upset. He's saying that he is physically constructed from the beliefs of his followers (and the broader public), and thus because his followers believe he is incapable of honesty, he actually is incapable of honesty (except to Thor). Everything is made up of ideas, even him.

As far as Loki saying just six strips ago that he can do whatever he wants: he is incapable of honesty (except to Thor).
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think this one is worthy of inclusion.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Bugbear in the Playground

Agree with inclusion.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Wait a bit, he's made multiple posts. There could be several more coming to put together.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

To follow up, these are the additional quotes (thus far), both of which I think are worthy of inclusion.

Except we know the answer to the chicken and the egg. The egg predated avian life by millions of years, and beyond that, the chicken as we know it is a domesticated form of the red junglefowl of Southeast Asia. At some point, an almost-chicken junglefowl laid an egg with what we would consider a chicken in it.

In a similar way, the fact that the gods are the way they are now does not preclude them having existed in some other form in the past—one that we might not have thought of as "gods." It's just that the mechanism for change isn't reproduction and evolution. Or rather, it's memetic evolution, not genetic.

EDIT: I also think you're forgetting that the gods originated "from beyond the chaos." Their initial creation and/or ascension would involve how things work in that other place, wherever that might be, and has little bearing on the story.
    "Honesty" is a broader concept than "not lying." If Loki tells the truth in the cause of trickery, he is still not being honest. Walking back in there and laying his cards on the table and coming clean requires more than just not lying, it requires total honesty. And thus he cannot do it.

In other words: Loki can tell the truth to deceive someone, but he wouldn't be wanting to deceive Hel in this instance—so he can't tell the truth. It also means that he couldn't find some way to lie for the purposes of genuinely enlightening her. His intent matters more than the truth value of the words coming out of his mouth.

This, exactly.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2019-08-26 at 11:54 AM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I also think the Loki comments at least are worthy of inclusion (and would probably support the chicken and egg comment too.).
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Firbolg in the Playground

All three are worthy of being included.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so first attempt at it....

On Loki and (Dis)honesty
    "...because his followers believe he is incapable of honesty, he actually is incapable of honesty (except to Thor)". Also, "honesty" is distinct from "not lying": "Loki can tell the truth to deceive someone, but he wouldn't be wanting to deceive Hel in this instance—so he can't tell the truth".
    #1177 2019/08/26
    The Mutable Nature of the Gods
    "...the fact that the gods are the way they are now does not preclude them having existed in some other form in the past—one that we might not have thought of as 'gods' ".
    #1177 2019/08/26

14. - Top - End - #1304

I like it.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Titan in the Playground

All three should be included.

I think Loki not wanting to trick Hel is too specific for a general summary.
    Maybe

On Loki and (Dis)honesty
    "...because his followers believe he is incapable of honesty, he actually is incapable of honesty (except to Thor)". Also, "honesty" is distinct from "not lying": "Loki can tell the truth to deceive someone [...] His intent matters more than the truth value of the words coming out of his mouth".
    #1177 2019/08/26
    would work better?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-27 at 02:10 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think Loki not wanting to trick Hel is too specific for a general summary.
    Maybe

On Loki and (Dis)honesty
    "...because his followers believe he is incapable of honesty, he actually is incapable of honesty (except to Thor)". Also, "honesty" is distinct from "not lying": "Loki can tell the truth to deceive someone [...] His intent matters more than the truth value of the words coming out of his mouth".
    #1177 2019/08/26
    would work better?
    Fair; but that feels a little too long...which would mean my attempt was also a little too long.

Um....Okay, how's this?

On Loki and (Dis)honesty
    "...because his followers believe he is incapable of honesty, he actually is incapable of honesty (except to Thor)". Also, "honesty" is distinct from "not lying": "If Loki tells the truth in the cause of trickery, he is still not being honest.".
    #1177 2019/08/26
    The Mutable Nature of the Gods
    "...the fact that the gods are the way they are now does not preclude them having existed in some other form in the past—one that we might not have thought of as 'gods' ".
    #1177 2019/08/26

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

Looks good.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the new version.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I like it. Include it shall we.

20. - Top - End - #1310

I say include both
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I too like the newest proposed quote summary, and think all three should be included.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2019-08-28 at 12:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Titan in the Playground

Alright. That's three quotes, then....

Now, while this might be rushing things a bit....We're kind of close to the next thread; and since we just did an update, this seems like a good time to start talking about the next thread's title, including getting new proposals for it. I only found a few proposals (which may or may not have been serious) from earlier in the thread, so I threw in a couple new ones to start off with.

Also, to avoid a "post titles getting truncated by the forum" situation, subtitles need to be 40 characters long or less...hence the alteration I made to the second proposal above. (I'm not requiring anyone else to count, but don't be surprised if a phrase longer than "Fuzzy Llama Funny Llama Llama Llama Duck" doesn't get accepted)

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I vote for inclusion on the quotes.

And I vote for the first one on the new title suggestions, because alliteration is awesome and appealing.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2019-08-28 at 01:10 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1314

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I vote for inclusion on the quotes.

And I vote for the first one on the new title suggestions, because alliteration is awesome and appealing.
    I agree with this.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Firbolg in the Playground

The last version of the #1177-related quotes' summary is perfect. Let's include.

For the thread title, I'm partial to "Now Up to 50% On Topic". But I'd be OK with "Bimonthly Banana Bread at Best" as well.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'll submit another suggestion:

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - All Inclusive Memories

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ogre in the Playground

about the next thread's title, including getting new proposals for it.
    The Index of the Giant's Comments 6 – Yes, ALL of His Comments

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ogre in the Playground

TIotGC VI: Apprehensively Assessing Analytical {Alliterative} Assertions

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    TIotGC VI: Apprehensively Assessing Analytical {Alliterative} Assertions
    Too long; "Apprehensively Assessing Analytical {Alliterative} Assertions" is 61 characters.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ogre in the Playground

Too long; "Apprehensively Assessing Analytical {Alliterative} Assertions" is 61 characters.
    Take out the Alliterative bit; I added it in at the end when I realized that Alliterative also started with "A" (and so does Assonance...)

-Squire Doodad