New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,469 of 1469
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

I disagree a large part of humour is the element of surprise. Many jokes aren’t funny when explained simply because you can’t be surprised by a joke you know is there.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Cerlis View Post
    if a joke stops being funny because people understand it it wasnt funny. usually what people are doing is just making it a meme. people laugh because they are 'in' on it and have that dopamine feeling of recognizing something, making that mental connection and then feeling special to be 'in' on it

every funny joke can be explained , all humor can be. its just most people who explore that (see: Big Bang Theory and Their Horrible Characterization of Sheldon) go out of their way to make anyone trying to understand humor a moron who doesnt get it
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I disagree a large part of humour is the element of surprise. Many jokes aren’t funny when explained simply because you can’t be surprised by a joke you know is there.
    Well...indirectly, anyway. I think humor is largely rooted in the breaking of expected patterns, which requires knowledge of those patterns to work. Element of surprise usually accompanies it the first time, true, but non-trivial comedy retains humor value even if you're aware of it coming.

And we're on a new page already!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    While this isn't formal, we've got a few pages left before the next thread, so in the interests of post wrangling....

This will be approval voting: vote for (and/or propose) as many titles as you like, even if there's only one you like; whichever title has the most people voting for it will be the title of the next thread. In the case of a tie, I will choose one of the tied options.
    I'll be tracking viable titles until I start on the next thread in...a few pages.
    Incidentally, if anyone is intentionally changing their vote, please make a new post containing all the titles you're voting for; trying to track one person's vote across multiple posts almost guarantees I'm going to mess up somewhere....
    Proposed Title Votes Voters
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - That's What HE Said 12 Ron Miel, D.One, HorizonWalker, snowblizz, Bundin, dmc91356, Kish, Joerg, Emanick, Lissou, Doug Lampert, Charybdis136
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas 10 137ben, D.One, Squire Doodad, b_jonas, Rollin, super dark33, Emanick, Schroeswald, Mad Humanist, Sir_Norbert
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic 10 Gwynfrid, Zherog, DataNinja, Fyraltari, Caerulea, Algeh, Rollin, Lissou, Throknor, Doug Lampert
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Rich in Comments 9 Gift Jeraff, NobleCuriosity, Caerulea, snowblizz, dmc91356, Algeh, Joerg, Sir_Norbert, mjp1050
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Bimonthly Banana Bread at Best 3 Resileaf, Gwynfrid, Schroeswald
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Undiscovered Comment 3 rbetieh, Algeh, Doug Lampert
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from a Few Zapped Pines 2 Reboot, b_jonas
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Annotated Edition 1 Fyraltari
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Beginning of the End 1 Quebbster
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Barbarian in the Playground

but non-trivial comedy retains humor value even if you're aware of it coming.
    +1

If a joke is actually funny (in the estimation of the listener, since this is subjective) there's a good chance they'll find it funny on repeated hearings, too.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I’d like to change my title vote from just “Rich in Comments” to ALSO supporting “ The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas” and “ The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Bimonthly Banana Bread At Best.”

I still love the double pun in “Rich in comments” the best, but those two other titles have really grown on me (and I’m already starting to groan at “That’s what HE said!”).
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
    "Rich in Comments" is clever, but the joke was already used in the title of Thread IV ("A Rich Source of Quotassium").

Also, I would like to change my vote from simply "Now Up to 50% On Topic" to a vote for "Now Up to 50% On Topic" and a vote for "Making Dogma From Zapped Bananas."
    What HE said! Which is not a vote for that title: my votes are:

• The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas
    • The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic

(Thank you, Jasdoif, for linking to individual posts so that I could easily make that joke.)

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Close to 50 pages. How's our vote? If I'm counting correctly, we have a tie beetween The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas and The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - That's What HE Said.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, screw it, add me to ‘making dogmas from zapped bananas’... as long as it’s not ‘that’s what he said’.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ah, screw it, add me to ‘making dogmas from zapped bananas’... as long as it’s not ‘that’s what he said’.
    I sense so much hatred in your heart... hatred leads to suffering... let it go, my friend...

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Barbarian in the Playground

Okay, adding a couple of votes to my suggestion. Now:
    • The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from a Few Zapped Pines
    • The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas
    • The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I sense so much hatred in your heart... hatred leads to suffering... let it go, my friend...
    Hatred? No. Stern disapproval.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm with you. Any of the other suggestions are better than paying tribute to a juvenile, misogynist meme.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    I'm with you. Any of the other suggestions are better than paying tribute to a juvenile, misogynist meme.
    Juvenile I'll grant you, but I fail to see misogyny in it. Yeah, the joke is "that's what she said," and associates women with sexuality, but quite frankly I don't see how this particular association does it in a harmful way. Some women have sex. And some of those say things in the process.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so we're at....

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas 14 137ben, D.One, Squire Doodad, b_jonas, Rollin, super dark33, Emanick, Schroeswald, Mad Humanist, Sir_Norbert, NobleCuriosity, nabcif, Fyraltari, Reboot
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - That's What HE Said 12 Ron Miel, D.One, HorizonWalker, snowblizz, Bundin, dmc91356, Kish, Joerg, Emanick, Lissou, Doug Lampert, Charybdis136
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic 11 Gwynfrid, Zherog, DataNinja, Caerulea, Algeh, Rollin, Lissou, Throknor, Doug Lampert, nabcif, Reboot
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Rich in Comments 9 Gift Jeraff, Caerulea, snowblizz, dmc91356, Algeh, Joerg, Sir_Norbert, mjp1050, NobleCuriosity
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Bimonthly Banana Bread at Best 4 Resileaf, Gwynfrid, Schroeswald, NobleCuriosity
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Undiscovered Comment 3 rbetieh, Algeh, Doug Lampert
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from a Few Zapped Pines 2 b_jonas, Reboot

14. - Top - End - #1454

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Juvenile I'll grant you, but I fail to see misogyny in it. Yeah, the joke is "that's what she said," and associates women with sexuality, but quite frankly I don't see how this particular association does it in a harmful way. Some women have sex. And some of those say things in the process.
    I am not going to vote for the "That's what he said" title. But it is a quote from the comic so I feel any quibbles over the backstory of the meme don't have much merit. If anybody has any issues with the joke why not take it up with Rich directly?

Also it was Belkar saying it.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2019-10-09 at 01:31 PM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

About the "That's what HE said", thing, I must say that, being a non-native-english speaker, I was quite unfamiliar with the joke, even thought I got the innuendo when Belkar used it. I just thought it could go for both male or female, and that was less a joke about a gender, and more a way to mock on someone who said a phrase that, under a sexual conotation, would be unfavorable to the speaker.

More than that, the reason I liked it for a title was because, on a religious situation, the capitalized HE is used to refer to God, and, as far as OotS is concerned, Word of Rich is Word of God.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    About the "That's what HE said", thing, I must say that, being a non-native-english speaker, I was quite unfamiliar with the joke, even thought I got the innuendo when Belkar used it. I just thought it could go for both male or female, and that was less a joke about a gender, and more a way to mock on someone who said a phrase that, under a sexual conotation, would be unfavorable to the speaker.
    Jokes are what we make of them. At it's fundamentals, it's gender neutral, and in the useage I normally see actually pointed towards men. As in the situation where a guy complains about something being small and friends inject "yeah that's what she said" implying the complainer should possibly worry more about personal inadequcies than some minor detail. That said a very vocal group (of males, naturally) can and will turn it around into some very questionable territory. I've heard it that way too. In other words the joke should be fairly neutrally useable, but the times you really going to hear it loud is likely the more questionable use.

If you understand a double entendre it's not the fault of the one who used it, it's yours for understanding it. I like to think the joke primarily highlights how easy it is to take things out of context, and how "wrong" it goes when we do.

Besides, sometimes being juvenile is the only defence against the madness that are supposed adults. {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-10 at 09:13 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'll vote for Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas if I may.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ogre in the Playground

Also not a non=native speaker, but I've been familiar with the joke for many years (despite my first ever episode of The Office being sometime last month), and I concur with it not being misogynistic. It's just an innuendo, and in some contexts I'll say "she", in some I'll say "he" because it makes more sense. Using it as a title, to me, works on so many levels: it's a quote from the comic itself; the thread IS about what Rich has said; and the capitals, as pointed out, have the extra role of showing that Word of Giant is Word of God for the comic. The fact that it also refers to a common joke is just icing on the cake.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like I'm in the minority, but I really like the "Few Zapped Pines" title. It's long (hopefully not long enough to lose a handful of characters when a "Re: " is placed in front of it), but I really like the implication that we forumites have arguments over the most minute details in the comic. Pokes a bit of fun at ourselves.

My second choice (have we considered Ranked Choice voting here?) would be the "Zapped Bananas" title.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-10-11 at 08:20 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    I'll vote for Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas if I may.
    You are clearly able to post, so you certainly may!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    (have we considered Ranked Choice voting here?)
    As I mentioned earlier....
    This will be approval voting: vote for (and/or propose) as many titles as you like, even if there's only one you like; whichever title has the most people voting for it will be the title of the next thread. In the case of a tie, I will choose one of the tied options.

Anyway, looks like we're currently at....

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas 16 137ben, D.One, Squire Doodad, b_jonas, Rollin, super dark33, Emanick, Schroeswald, Mad Humanist, Sir_Norbert, NobleCuriosity, nabcif, Fyraltari, Reboot, Aidan, Lord Torath
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic 11 Gwynfrid, Zherog, DataNinja, Caerulea, Algeh, Rollin, Lissou, Throknor, Doug Lampert, nabcif, Reboot
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Rich in Comments 9 Gift Jeraff, Caerulea, snowblizz, dmc91356, Algeh, Joerg, Sir_Norbert, mjp1050, NobleCuriosity
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Bimonthly Banana Bread at Best 4 Resileaf, Gwynfrid, Schroeswald, NobleCuriosity
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from a Few Zapped Pines 3 b_jonas, Reboot, Lord Torath

21. - Top - End - #1461

My votes:
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this In

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Also not a non=native speaker, but I've been familiar with the joke for many years (despite my first ever episode of The Office being sometime last month), and I concur with it not being misogynistic. It's just an innuendo, and in some contexts I'll say "she", in some I'll say "he" because it makes more sense. Using it as a title, to me, works on so many levels: it's a quote from the comic itself; the thread IS about what Rich has said; and the capitals, as pointed out, have the extra role of showing that Word of Giant is Word of God for the comic. The fact that it also refers to a common joke is just icing on the cake.
    This is a well argued post, and I’d like to recognize it by adding one vote for “that’s what HE said”. This isn’t a replacement, but an addition to my earlier vote for “now up to 50% on topic”.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Titan in the Playground

My apologies jasdoif, I wasn't clear, I wish to vote for "making dogma from zapped bananas" in addittion to my votes for "the annotated edition" and "up to 50% on topic".
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #1464

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this In

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    This is a well argued post, and I’d like to recognize it by adding one vote for “that’s what HE said”. This isn’t a replacement, but an addition to my earlier vote for “now up to 50% on topic”.
    I agree
    So I vote for that one as well. It really fits well I think.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Titan in the Playground

My apologies jasdoif, I wasn't clear, I wish to vote for "making dogma from zapped bananas" in addittion to my votes for "the annotated edition" and "up to 50% on topic".
    So noted.
    Looks like we're currently at....

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas 17 137ben, D.One, Squire Doodad, b_jonas, Rollin, super dark33, Emanick, Schroeswald, Mad Humanist, Sir_Norbert, NobleCuriosity, nabcif, Reboot, Aidan, Lord Torath, Sylian, Fyraltari
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - That's What HE Said 14 Ron Miel, D.One, HorizonWalker, snowblizz, Bundin, dmc91356, Kish, Joerg, Emanick, Lissou, Doug Lampert, Charybdis136, Gwynfrid, Mightymosy
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic 13 Zherog, DataNinja, Caerulea, Algeh, Rollin, Lissou, Throknor, Doug Lampert, nabcif, Reboot, Sylian, Gwynfrid, Fyraltari
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Bimonthly Banana Bread at Best 3 Resileaf, Schroeswald, NobleCuriosity
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from a Few Zapped Pines 3 b_jonas, Reboot, Lord Torath

26. - Top - End - #1466

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Given this group (or any really) I vote for now 50% on topic.

Percentage seems a little high but I love a challenge and under dog.

My ring in the secret compartment of my ring I fill an underdog energy pill. Quote wrong but close from 40 plus years ago.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Halfling in the Playground

What - no Babylon 5 related titles?

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The three edged sword

But, I suppose...

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

;)

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

If I may, I’d like to add a vote to Up To 50% On Topic

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

...Okay, I think three days was enough waiting to see if both of the last two posts on this page would be Making-Dogma-from-Zapped-Bananas-voters removing their votes for "Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas" and voting for "Now Up to 50% On Topic"; the only combination that would change what title won....

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas 17 137ben, D.One, Squire Doodad, b_jonas, Rollin, super dark33, Emanick, Schroeswald, Mad Humanist, Sir_Norbert, NobleCuriosity, nabcif, Reboot, Aidan, Lord Torath, Sylian, Fyraltari
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic 15 Zherog, DataNinja, Caerulea, Algeh, Rollin, Lissou, Throknor, Doug Lampert, nabcif, Reboot, Sylian, Gwynfrid, Fyraltari, denthor, InsamNonsoon
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - That's What HE Said 14 Ron Miel, D.One, HorizonWalker, snowblizz, Bundin, dmc91356, Kish, Joerg, Emanick, Lissou, Doug Lampert, Charybdis136, Gwynfrid, Mightymosy
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Bimonthly Banana Bread at Best 3 Resileaf, Schroeswald, NobleCuriosity
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Three Edged Sword 1 JustinKase

New thread's here!
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-10-20 at 07:18 PM.