New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    the deities in this world seem to operate on a very similar "more followers=more power" system as the Discworld deities do.
    I'm pretty sure the idea that number of worshippers = power existed a long time before Pratchett wrote Pyramids, which is where that idea first appeared in the Discworld milieu as far as I know. Heck, for all we know he played Populous and got the idea from that (the game came out the same year as the book did).

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    It is about Vaarsuvius's children, but specifically it's about why the Giant chose to write them as adopted children. That is, why the Giant chose to write V's line in #631 the way he did.
    Right. Both the quote and the adjective in #631 stem from the Giant's decision to write them as adopted children; the quote and comic have a shared dependency, not an interdependency.

if the quote is just about the fact that Vaarsuvius's children are adopted, then it's clearly redundant (with comic #631, from 251 pages and four years before the comment).
    Since the comic isn't in the Index, there would be no redundancy in the Index regardless.

There is no extra information to be found in #631, but we provide comic numbers for context. In this case, the context is in #631, not #882.
    The date, from which the comic is derived, is provided so in case of an issue with Rule D (an apparent contradiction between quotes means only the most recent one should be included), it's immediately clear which one is most recent.

Also, if the redundancy rules are ever rescinded (in which case I hope SaintRidley provides us with cakes), the timeline on evolving views will be readily apparent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    That's my problem actually.
    The way the entry is made, is looks like the quote is self-sufficient and doesn't refer to anything.

The quote about Hinjo being red-green color-blind is a direct response to a guy saying that if a color-blind character was to be introduced, it should serve the story.
    The Giant threw that quite gratuitous answer. It's not the first nor the last time that he reacts that way to some (usually stupid) comments he doesn't like about his writing.

The one about V is very different. The Giant put that in the comics 4 years ago. It wasn't, as far as I know, a response to anything. It's subtle, I don't think it raised comments about it to be "forced" like some other things did (Bandana for instance).
    But the quotes makes it looks like the Hinjo thing in a way.
    I know Mad Humanist balked at the possible effort involved, but have you considered starting a "Questions Answered by the Comic" thread? Your list of proposed removals seems like it'd make a good starting point, and your apparent desire to identify comic strips as original sources would be critical in such a thread.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2016-03-03 at 01:28 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

What if we have a schism, and split into two Indices, one Orthodox Index, and one Index Reformation of 2016?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-03-03 at 02:21 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    What if we have a schism, and split into two Indeces, one Orthodox Index, and one Index Reformation of 2016?
    I think you'd have to deal with a schism between Indexes and Indeces.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if the Brick Awards end and no one has started it yet, I'll create one.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

What if we have a schism, and split into two Indices, one Orthodox Index, and one Index Reformation of 2016?
    I once suggested such a thing, and I was kindly reminded that this was not to be done - it's the entire purpose of the "curated threads". To prevent the forum from being cluttered by countless of "Murks Index of the Giant comments" and "Peelee's Index of the Giant's comments" and "Banana Index of the Giant's comments" (etc.), there was to be a curator who could middle between all the different people and make sure all these people could find their wishes in one single thread.

Now, I think a "evidence from the comic to answer questions"-thread is different enough from this one to exist. An Orthodox and Reformed Index, though, probably wouldn't.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

But which one gives free espresso? And is there a money-back guarantee if we aren't satisfied?

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    I once suggested such a thing, and I was kindly reminded that this was not to be done - it's the entire purpose of the "curated threads". To prevent the forum from being cluttered by countless of "Murks Index of the Giant comments" and "Peelee's Index of the Giant's comments" and "Banana Index of the Giant's comments" (etc.), there was to be a curator who could middle between all the different people and make sure all these people could find their wishes in one single thread.

Now, I think a "evidence from the comic to answer questions"-thread is different enough from this one to exist. An Orthodox and Reformed Index, though, probably wouldn't.
    Err....it was a joke.

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    But which one gives free espresso? And is there a money-back guarantee if we aren't satisfied?
    Espresso is prohibited by the Reformation of 2016, but given freely by Orthodox. And both offer a full refund, and will even price-match for other indices.

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I know Mad Humanist balked at the possible effort involved, but have you considered starting a "Questions Answered by the Comic" thread? Your list of proposed removals seems like it'd make a good starting point, and your apparent desire to identify comic strips as original sources would be critical in such a thread.
    Wouldn't the fact that I proposed to remove some quotes that are answered in the comics something against me being a suitable curator for such thread?
    I'm willing (suggesting) to identify the original strip source for this quote only because I find it quite unique how it's discussed about some 4 years later without specification.
    Other quotes usually either discuss of something that happened in the last comic posted (so the identification is already done) or are about something quite recurring.

Now that's merely a suggestion and I do feel like I put already too much effort explaining why I was making it. Meaning that it may look like I'm trying to enforce it, which is not at all the way I want to do things.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

...have you considered starting a "Questions Answered by the Comic" thread?
    Wouldn't the fact that I proposed to remove some quotes that are answered in the comics something against me being a suitable curator for such thread?
    No....Why would it?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'm willing (suggesting) to identify the original strip source for this quote only because I find it quite unique how it's discussed about some 4 years later without specification.
    Other quotes usually either discuss of something that happened in the last comic posted (so the identification is already done) or are about something quite recurring.

Now that's merely a suggestion and I do feel like I put already too much effort explaining why I was making it. Meaning that it may look like I'm trying to enforce it, which is not at all the way I want to do things.
    So you not only you are willing to review this index, you are also willing to identify strips that are discussed years after publication, put way more effort than average on it, acknowledge that usually the identification is already done, and are not willing to enforce your will.

Explain to me again why you wouldn't be the perfect curator.
    Last edited by Pyrous; 2016-03-03 at 06:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

No....Why would it?
    Well... Since they don't bring anything new, I find them useless. I don't see why someone would be willing to keep an index of that.

I do like "The Annotated Order of the Stick" thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    So you not only you are willing to review this index, you are also willing to identify strips that are discussed years after publication, put way more effort than average on it, acknowledge that usually the identification is already done, and are not willing to enforce your will.

Explain to me again why you wouldn't be the perfect curator.
    Please don't use plurals, that's a very unique case I'm talking about.
    I'm not saying that when the Giant says he won't reveal V's gender ever, each occurence of a confusion about V's gender should be listed (thinking of it, there could be an interesting index for that though). Because it's something way more obvious in comics. Being a running gag compared to an adjective in the middle of long sentences.

Nor am I saying that when the Giant says that HPoH made a tactical error, it should be linked that the Giant is talking about what HPoH said to Roy in #1009, because the answer was made when 1009 was up and it's therefore already directed to the right strip.

OH WAIT :

HPoH ( ) Made a Tactical Error in #1009
    Durkon "showed him Roy telling him the story about what happened with Eric. That's it."
    #1009 10/19/2015

I genuinely missed that this one was speficially pointed to the comics. A lot.
    Last edited by Quild; 2016-03-04 at 02:57 AM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

I think you'd have to deal with a schism between Indexes and Indeces.
    The Reformed Congregation of Latinate Plural Indices considers your suggestion to be indecent.

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    The Reformed Congregation of Latinate Plural Indices considers your suggestion to be indecent.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    Yeah but the Society of People who Love "Merica insist it be spelled "indexes"

17. - Top - End - #137

Yeah but the Society of People who Love "Merica insist it be spelled "indexes"
    What Index are they categorized in?

18. - Top - End - #138

The Popular Judaic Front, of course.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

What Index are they categorized in?
    I can't think of one answer to this that won't violate forum rules.

20. - Top - End - #140

Could've run with the People's Front of Judea. Don't think it would have ended well, though.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Could probably have come up with something related to your use of a double-quote instead of an apostrophe.

22. - Top - End - #142

Lets suggest the next thread title as :

"On a Saner Thread, We Wouldn't Need to Discuss... Er, What Were We Discussing, Anyway?"

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Lets suggest the next thread title as :

"On a Saner Thread, We Wouldn't Need to Discuss... Er, What Were We Discussing, Anyway?"
    Too many characters ( ) How about....

"The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Sanity is an Allusion"

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Someone give me a call when the thread title discussion is over.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Too many characters ( ) How about....

"The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Sanity is an Allusion"
    Or "The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic"
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Someone give me a call when the thread title discussion is over.
    With you there--it's 45 pages before we need another title, and the one we've got seems to be fine now...

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    With you there--it's 45 pages before we need another title, and the one we've got seems to be fine now...
    Historically, posts changing the subject of conversation are more effective than posts about the current subject of conversation in that regard. There's a few things that should probably be discussed in the next few days if they're to be discussed, after all.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2016-03-05 at 01:51 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Bah, the title of the next thread is irrelevant. Only the title of the seventh thread matters!

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    To the question, why did Belkar not ask for a Protection from Law item, there are (at least) two possible answers: #1 because Belkar didn't know any better, or #2 because he didn't want to ask for something illegal. The original poster suggested the answer is #1. Then Rich posted to say the answer is #2. Joke or no joke, this is a valid answer. We have no reason to dismiss it.
    If this quote arose in answer to such a discussion, that is (to me) argument against inclusion:

1. We already have a sufficient general answer to why the characters do not take some more optimal course, so we don't need specific answers to specific courses not chosen; and

2. It did not arise to answer a question in the comic, but in answer to speculation that happened outside it. People who read the comic will not also read the discussion about the comic so the question will likely never arise again.

I would say: remove.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

And here we are!

UPDATE COMING, CALLING FOR PMs TO REQUIRE VOTES

Anyone thinking the entry marked "Accepting PMs to require vote" should not be included in the Index should send me a private message, saying the entry should require a vote. (The default is to include, an item not voted on will be included in the Index.) If I get PMs from two or more people about the particular entry, it will be voted on to decide inclusion; the vote will be the next stage, and I'll announce it when the vote is ready.

A couple of the quotes below reached strong consensus already. A vote is considered unnecessary in these cases, so they will be included.

Proposed Items for Index 5.1
    The OotS Strips in Gygax Magazine Will Be in a Collection Someday #1020 01/22/2016 No vote required, will be included.
    Blackwing's Explosion in #1020 is a Scroll Activation Mishap
    Furthermore, the writing on the scroll reads "STRIP #970 P5 ESTABLISHES THAT MAGIC ITEMS EXPLODE WHEN ACTIVATED IMPROPERLY".
    #1020 01/22/2016 Accepting PMs to require vote. PM threshold met, vote required.
    On the Ephemerality of Memories from the Afterlife
    Roy can remember anything that happened in the clouds, and the rest is "fuzzy" but not completely forgotten.
    #1022 02/08/2016 No vote required, will be included.

PMs will be accepted until March 11th, 9PM EDT already. I'll try to update the table if/when entries get sufficient PMs.

To send me a PM, click my username (The vaguely-pronounceable(?)-looking word above the spellcasting-and-invocation-using banana with purple hair) and select "Private Message". Or I guess you could click here. Anyway, include the title of the entry you're nominating in the message. Mentioning something about "Index Nomination" in the subject line would be helpful.

A few final reminders:
    • Don't post suggestions to require votes. They're sent by PM to avoid filling up the thread with them, posts will not be counted.
    • Only PM for entries you think should be excluded. They'll be included if they don't receive sufficient nominations.
    • We're not voting on the entries yet. The voting will be the next stage, assuming a vote is required; I'll call for the vote at an appropriate time.
    • There's still a banana in charge. Hi.

Further discussion of entries is encouraged at this point. In particular, recommendations for different titles and descriptions for the quote entries are things I'd be happy to consider.

I'll get the subject of deletions after additions are taken care of.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2016-03-10 at 03:00 PM.