New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I didn't realize the "V's Children are adopted" quote was up for removal. I firmly oppose that one being removed.

A) It's non-obvious that's why he did it...or at least, I didn't know it until Word of Giant came down and found it interesting at the time.

B) It's not something that can be answered in-comic or by referring to a particular page.

C) It's about the writing process, which firmly places it in "relevant" territory.

D) Did I mention it's really interesting?

E) The original proposal was not to remove, but to modify the index entry to make it clear that V's kids are stated to be adopted in-comic, and the quote is clarifying the writing process. I haven't seen anyone specifically say they want it removed (although paging through 4 pages of posts makes it easy to miss something...my respect for our illustrious banana grows).
    I completely missed this as well - I had interpreted the original post to mean it should be kept in as a Writing Process quote. I definitely do not support removing it - while we know in comic the kids are adopted, The Giant clarifying that it was to leave the potential that V and Inkyrius are the same sex open is noteworthy information, IMO.

(I still need to catch up on the rest of the thread.)
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2016-03-10 at 12:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I completely missed this as well - I had interpreted the original post to mean it should be kept in as a Writing Process quote. I definitely do not support removing it - while we know in comic the kids are adopted, The Giant clarifying that it was to leave the potential that V and Inkyrius are the same sex open is noteworthy information, IMO.
    So noted. It's probably safe from removal at this point.

Anyway, since I managed to post at the bottom of a page again....In any case anyone didn't see the last page, there's official-y stuff going on:

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    UPDATE COMING, CALLING FOR PMs TO REQUIRE VOTES

Anyone thinking the entry marked "Accepting PMs to require vote" should not be included in the Index should send me a private message, saying the entry should require a vote. (The default is to include, an item not voted on will be included in the Index.) If I get PMs from two or more people about the particular entry, it will be voted on to decide inclusion; the vote will be the next stage, and I'll announce it when the vote is ready.

A couple of the quotes below reached strong consensus already. A vote is considered unnecessary in these cases, so they will be included.

Proposed Items for Index 5.1
    The OotS Strips in Gygax Magazine Will Be in a Collection Someday #1020 01/22/2016 No vote required, will be included.
    Blackwing's Explosion in #1020 is a Scroll Activation Mishap
    Furthermore, the writing on the scroll reads "STRIP #970 P5 ESTABLISHES THAT MAGIC ITEMS EXPLODE WHEN ACTIVATED IMPROPERLY".
    #1020 01/22/2016 Accepting PMs to require vote. PM threshold met, vote required.
    On the Ephemerality of Memories from the Afterlife
    Roy can remember anything that happened in the clouds, and the rest is "fuzzy" but not completely forgotten.
    #1022 02/08/2016 No vote required, will be included.

PMs will be accepted until March 11th, 9PM EDT already. I'll try to update the table if/when entries get sufficient PMs.

To send me a PM, click my username (The vaguely-pronounceable(?)-looking word above the spellcasting-and-invocation-using banana with purple hair) and select "Private Message". Or I guess you could click here. Anyway, include the title of the entry you're nominating in the message. Mentioning something about "Index Nomination" in the subject line would be helpful.

A few final reminders:
    • Don't post suggestions to require votes. They're sent by PM to avoid filling up the thread with them, posts will not be counted.
    • Only PM for entries you think should be excluded. They'll be included if they don't receive sufficient nominations.
    • We're not voting on the entries yet. The voting will be the next stage, assuming a vote is required; I'll call for the vote at an appropriate time.
    • There's still a banana in charge. Hi.

Further discussion of entries is encouraged at this point. In particular, recommendations for different titles and descriptions for the quote entries are things I'd be happy to consider.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2016-03-10 at 03:01 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't THINK my phone is acting up...is that second quote by someone other than Rich?

And if so, is this the first time a non-Rich quote is being added to the Index?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Well that was fast. Usually is....ANYWAY.

Item up for voting:

• Please bold your yes/no votes, it'll make it easier for me to notice when I go through and count everything.
    • Please avoid discussing the quote itself, outside of giving an explanation for your vote in the same post as your vote. This'll make it easier to catch up after the vote, if a new quote comes along while we're still voting.
    • Per Rule F4, inclusion by vote requires a quote to have two more votes in favor than votes against.

Voting will be open until March 13th, 8PM EDT EST? Eastern Time.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I don't THINK my phone is acting up...is that second quote by someone other than Rich?
    It is indeed a post made by someone other than the Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    And if so, is this the first time a non-Rich quote is being added to the Index?
    It's not the first time a supporting reference that wasn't a quote by the Giant has been proposed, no:

Real World Intent
    The Giant Applauding 5E D&D's Acknowledgement of Diversity
    Specifically, how the core rules take into account gender, gender identity, and sexuality; as referred to the article here.
    #958 07/24/2014

But whether it's actually being added is an entirely different question, due to the vote being called on it.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Voting YES for inclusion
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well that was fast. Usually is....ANYWAY.

Item up for voting:

I vote for inclusion
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground

I vote include!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Oui.charlim
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

In the spirit of making my vote different, apparently.... no.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I vote no, for reasons discussed earlier.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

11. - Top - End - #161

NinjaGuy

Yes for inclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

No

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #163

my vote is Yes

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

No.

"And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

It is unneeded. No.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

I vote no to inclusion.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sticking to my earlier position: Yes.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

I am voting No

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

I vote NO...
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I vote Yes.
    Last edited by factotum; 2016-03-12 at 05:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

I vote yes, because it's a pair of non-obvious comments from the Giant that answer a question that people repeatedly asked about the comic.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I vote YES

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yes.......

24. - Top - End - #174
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, include it.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll vote No.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes .
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, emphatically.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Voting Yes
    "No Anti-Magic field ever stopped a pouncing Barbarians Great Club"

Spoilered Stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Favourite Threads!

Random
    Spoiler
    Show

I appear to be a pixie. I knew I overflowed with natural charisma

Nooo! I have fallen to being a mere halfling! Guess I'll....umm.....throw things....and bemoan my favored class.....

29. - Top - End - #179

Yes, include.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Always in favour of more inclusiveness :P
    YES