New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Introduces Lords of the Wild- The Playtest!

Bristle maneuver. To avoid any "Hey, DM, is this enemy walking toward me? No? The enemy is walking towards my adjacent ally? Never mind, then". Why not change "You may initiate this counter in response to an enemy moving towards to you" to "in response to an enemy passing through any square 10/30 feet away from you" and change "or be unable to move closer to you for one round." to "unable to pass through any square 10/30 feet away from you".
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Bristle maneuver. To avoid any "Hey, DM, is this enemy walking toward me? No? The enemy is walking towards my adjacent ally? Never mind, then". Why not change "You may initiate this counter in response to an enemy moving towards to you" to "in response to an enemy passing through any square 10/30 feet away from you" and change "or be unable to move closer to you for one round." to "unable to pass through any square 10/30 feet away from you".
    It's not about the enemy's intention to move closer to your character, it's about the physical distance between the enemy and your character decreasing. If the distance between the enemy and your character decreases that satisfies the trigger requirement for Bristle. It's fairly easy to check for this on a grid or play mat, sadly theater of the mind is more difficult.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

Apologies if this was already read but it was the last thing on the last page before it bumped over, so I didn't want it to be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias1313 View Post
    I agree with Happy gravity to some degree. I am currently making a Wild Huntsmaster and have come to see some problems.

1) I think you should probably clarify the Hunting Pack. The power gives us 1 pack member per slot we fill and you limit the number of Pack members we can have at one time which is fine. The Stat block however seems to infer it functions like a swarm. Beasts of the Hunt supports this I think but the wording all seems clunky to me. Under HP it should probably say that you x the number of spaces in the collective occupied by the hunting pack or else someone's gonna try enlarging them and quadrupling the HP. Also, it looks like you have the Pack pool its HP together but you can send them off Individually to attack which I can see people having problems with. So if I have a Pack filling 3 spots in the collective, the pack has, provided a CHA of 20 and lvl 10, 5x10x3 or 150HP? That means as a DM I have to chew thru 150 hp before I can stop it. That seems excessive, maybe its just me. I think you should have the HPs set up individually per Pack member, that way doing damage can widdle down the effectiveness of the pack. I would probably have something in there where you cannot re-summon new members while there are still members alive or cause dismissing them as a swift or move action or something. Cause right now I have full damage capability until something chews through my 150hp, as per the example above, but at anytime I can blow a full round action to fully heal them.

2) What is the point of giving them Spirit of Many without giving them access to some powers with the Network descriptor or giving them ab ability like Medic powers? Cause is it just me or are there no real Network Powers on the Dread list?
    3)Last thing, under Beasts of the Hunt it says "When the hunting pack is directed to take a full turn, it can move each of its beasts up to its speed as a move action and can make up to a single attack with each of its beasts as a standard action. When it is directed as a move action, a single one of its beasts can move and attack, and the rest do not act." This wording seems confusing to me. Maybe something like "When the Huntmaster directs his Hunting Pack as a standard action he can move each beast up to their speed and make a single attack. When he directs them as a move action, a single Beast can move its speed and attack, and the rest do nothing." I don't see the point of saying the beasts are taking a standard or move action as they cant do anything by themselves
    4) As a suggestion, Become the Beast seems like a very cool idea but is utterly useless if you are a solitary hunter. You should allow it to be used on the Hunting pack as well. Limit the choices to Upgrading the Bite and maybe extend the duration? Not sure, just an idea. Another Idea would be to allow all the hunting pack to share your Teamwork Feats, or Style feats, or something. Or even just allowing you to use any of your powers on the Hunting pack as if they had the Network descriptor would be interesting.

I 100% love just about everything in this playtest. The Wild Huntmaster is what has took most of my focus. I'll send more feedback one the rest when I have time.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, it's been read and I'm working on an update. Hoping to push it through this weekend.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

Hopefully, I'm not rehashing another question that's been asked, but here we go.

Normally, you'd be able to make, for instance, a +1 Shocking Mind Blade at level 5, but not at 3, because you need a +1 equivalent on the weapon beforehand. With Moonlight Meditant, however, they get it for free, which means you've got a free +1 of abilities at level 3, and nothing you can spend on them. Is the Moonlight Meditant intended to allow a soulknife to bypass enhancement equivalents minimum levels, or just wait until level 5 and get two +1 abilities?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I think you'd be surprised. Much of the discipline is actually under par on damage, and while there's a few interesting counters (Bristle is a favorite of mine), and the stances can provide some excellent utility, it's generally pretty tame. If you have anything specific you're concerned about I'd love to hear your opinions on the discipline in greater detail.
    I have to say I don't feel this is at all accurate.
    I was taking a look at this at at level one with a str of 16 you can use Beast swipe and Primal fang to throw this out.
    Claw 6 ab 1d4+5
    Claw 6 ab 1d4+5
    Rend 6 ab 1d6+6
    And that is a pretty low ball str estimate, a better estimate would be 18-20 so with an 18 this would become
    Claw 7 ab 1d4+6
    Claw 7 ab 1d4+6
    Rend 7 ab 1d6+8
    Totaling out to 2d4+1d6+20 before figuring in a stance or any other bonuses.
    This is pretty high for level 1.
    Also the boost that lasts a minute seems odd, it is also a free size increase for ten rounds which will increase your damage output, it is also longer then most combats last, it would be better placed on a stance if it is supposed to be a long term effect.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rasma View Post
    And that is a pretty low ball str estimate, a better estimate would be 18-20 so with an 18 this would become
    Claw 7 ab 1d4+6
    Claw 7 ab 1d4+6
    Rend 7 ab 1d6+8
    Totaling out to 2d4+1d6+20 before figuring in a stance or any other bonuses.
    This is pretty high for level 1.
    Also the boost that lasts a minute seems odd, it is also a free size increase for ten rounds which will increase your damage output, it is also longer then most combats last, it would be better placed on a stance if it is supposed to be a long term effect.
    I have to say that while this may be high at 1st in general, it's not high for a natural attack build. Several Paizo race/class combos allow you to start with 3 full bab attacks (usually claw/claw/bite), and can get as far as five natural attacks.

That said, I think CS stances, especially if combined with the shifting feats later on, can make early/mid level natural attack damage more problematic for groups less experienced or less watchful of balance issues. But that's hardly something unique for LotW content.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by upho View Post
    I have to say that while this may be high at 1st in general, it's not high for a natural attack build. Several Paizo race/class combos allow you to start with 3 full bab attacks (usually claw/claw/bite), and can get as far as five natural attacks.

That said, I think CS stances, especially if combined with the shifting feats later on, can make early/mid level natural attack damage more problematic for groups less experienced or less watchful of balance issues. But that's hardly something unique for LotW content.
    The primary difference being this is a standard action not a full attack.
    So you can move and do this, or if you take the feat for it charge and do it.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Chimera Soul does not seem to have a way to give a sting attack, beyond Lamia's Sting and Fang Dragon Sting. I'm not sure if that's an oversight or a deliberate design choice, but I figure it'd be worth bringing up!
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Any new news?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Okay everyone, sorry for the long silence. A lot of life stuff came up and kept happening right when I meant to sit down and knock this all out. But I'm here with a new update.

Added the feats Pack Howl and Terror of the Hunt to support the Wild Huntmaster
    Added a new ability to the wild huntmaster’s hunting pack

There were a lot of good points that the Wild Huntmaster was lacking in feats to take. So I added some, and then gave them a reason to take combat feats (the pack now shares your combat feats)

Rescaled Hunting Pack HP

New formula is 1/4 creator’s class level × twice creator’s Charisma bonus (if any) × the number of spaces occupied by the hunting pack. This should reduce the overall bloat at high levels, and make it a bit more durable for the first few levels of your career

Removed the ability score modifiers from Magnitude Shift
    Changed the 5 feat, 2 round benefit of Strongclaw Shift

Toning back some of the damage potential through ability score stacking on shifting feats

Added long shift benefits to Deathsting Shift

Deathsting was kind of odd in that it only had 2 round shifts, so i figured why not allow for a monkey tail

And I added in a new feat, Dogpile, that follows up on Dirty Fighting to kick them while they're down.

@furius22: Yes, the moonlight meditant gets to skip the +1

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Okay everyone, sorry for the long silence. A lot of life stuff came up and kept happening right when I meant to sit down and knock this all out. But I'm here with a new update.
    Don't worry, with these new great updates, all is forgiven! Seriously, I think all of them are really good, and in particular the balanced nerfing of the previously rather crazy potential of Magnitude and Strongclaw. I especially like how Magnitude now offers a very unique form of up-sizing, both in terms of the benefits/penalties and in terms of prerequisites, making it the first truly viable such option in the game also for Dex based melee builds. Good work!
    Last edited by upho; 2017-02-05 at 02:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Don't worry, with these new great updates, all is forgiven! Seriously, I think all of them are really good, and in particular the balanced nerfing of the previously rather crazy potential of Magnitude and Strongclaw. I especially like how Magnitude now offers a very unique form of up-sizing, both in terms of the benefits/penalties and in terms of prerequisites, making it the first truly viable such option in the game also for Dex based melee builds. Good work!
    Thanks. Your builds were actually very helpful in reaching that decision. Even saved the life of one of my characters when my GM threw a chimera soul/shifting feat primal disciple against me and used the new version of Magnitude Shift. I would have been thrashed if he'd had those STR bonuses.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

14. - Top - End - #284

Thanks. Your builds were actually very helpful in reaching that decision. Even saved the life of one of my characters when my GM threw a chimera soul/shifting feat primal disciple against me and used the new version of Magnitude Shift. I would have been thrashed if he'd had those STR bonuses.
    Glad to be of service! And yeah, besides the additional reach and CMB size bonuses, the damage potential of the old version was kinda nuts, especially on a hardcore raging natural attack initiator.

Speaking of, I think I'm gonna have to try putting together a Dex melee control tank test build with the updated feats. A gargantuan sized defender with the grace of a ballet dancer and the lethal swiftness of a ninja seems like a pretty awesome concept. Maybe with Chameleon Shift, Night Stalker and Veiled Moon maneuvers for some extra mega-ninja flavor...

Oh, a minor nitpick before I forget it again: seems the Deathsting Shift heading has been accidentally doubled in the document, and since the feat doesn't show up in the outline, I suspect neither of the two are properly formatted as a heading.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of, I think I'm gonna have to try putting together a Dex melee control tank test build with the updated feats. A gargantuan sized defender with the grace of a ballet dancer and the lethal swiftness of a ninja seems like a pretty awesome concept. Maybe with Chameleon Shift, Night Stalker and Veiled Moon maneuvers for some extra mega-ninja flavor...
    Might want to look at using Unshackled Rager. My not so secret secret of the archetype is that it actually works for a Dex build combining Vital Strike, Combat Reflexes, and Seize the Opportunity to play big papa wolf

Oh, a minor nitpick before I forget it again: seems the Deathsting Shift heading has been accidentally doubled in the document, and since the feat doesn't show up in the outline, I suspect neither of the two are properly formatted as a heading.
    Fixed. Unfortunately the table of contents is kind of a mess, and was actually generated by Google Docs, not us. It's one of those things I keep meaning to organize, but never get around to

EDIT: modified the wording of silverblade hunter's Mithral Weapon Training to mark that they can get training in other (standard) weapon groups, which can be traded as normal for AWT.
    Last edited by Vhaidara; 2017-02-05 at 08:26 PM.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kudos to you guys. Love the new changes. FYI the playtest doc still shows the old math for the HP on the wild huntmaster.

One last thing. Has anyone taken a look into the whole Spirit of Many/Network descriptor issue? The lack of said powers being the issue. Is there something that can be added like either give them access to some new powers or allow them to add the network descriptor to some already existing powers?

**EDIT**
    One other quick question. When I attack with the wild hunt it says they may make an attack as a standard action. Does that mean that I can use things like Cleave and Vital strike with them? :)
    Please...
    Last edited by Mathias1313; 2017-02-06 at 06:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, forgot to actually copy that into the public document, thanks for the catch.

As far as Network powers, I bounced the idea around with some team members who have worked with collectives more, and the thing is that the Wild Huntmaster doesn't really need them. At the core, you're still a dread in your power list. You don't WANT to use those on allies. And this isn't an unwilling participant arch, your only native aggressive induction comes complete with a control clause. Spirit of Many is there as part of collectives, or for if you take Expanded Knowledge

As far as the attack thing, yeah, cleave away

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

18. - Top - End - #288

Might want to look at using Unshackled Rager. My not so secret secret of the archetype is that it actually works for a Dex build combining Vital Strike, Combat Reflexes, and Seize the Opportunity to play big papa wolf
    Yeah, I happened to discover your little secret when I made that silly big mama "monster-werewolf" Unshackled Rager build hiding somewhere way back in this thread. But I think the archetype is better suited for a natural attack damage build, while a melee control tank will probably want to use a reach weapon and will need more combat role related features, such as useful bonus feats, maneuvers and/or rage powers.

I've put together a Dex based AoO mass-control tank, mostly by pilfering a few tricks from similar Str based shifting builds and combining them with Dex melee stuff and a few other components I've wanted to try out for a long time, such as the Mongrel PrC. I think the end result, which I decided to name "Blake Blackhole" (for reasons which I hope will be obvious), is a very capable defender against hordes of mooks as well as BBEGs, despite completely ignoring damage output capacity and focusing largely on grappling of all things. This makes me happy, since I have this thing for new martial options and builds able to defy commonly held expectations and beliefs, especially if I held them myself.

Spoiler: Blake Blackhole, 13th Level
    Show

BUILD OUTLINE
    Garuda-Blooded Aasimar Warlord (Privateer) 1/Monk (Tetori) 2/Warder (Fiendbound Marauder) 2/Mongrel 4/Formless Master 4

Class Progression and Feats (order not really optimized)
    1 Warlord 1 Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms)B, Greater Dirty TrickB, Improved Dirty TrickB, Mixed Blood (orc), Weapon FinesseB
    2 Monk 1 Improved GrappleB, Improved Unarmed StrikeB, Stunning FistB
    3 Warder 1 Beasthide Shift, Combat ReflexesB
    4 Monk 2 Abomination ShiftB
    5 Warder 2 Mighty Frame
    6 Mongrel 1 Mixed Blood (goblinoid)B, Small StatureB
    7 Mongrel 2/Monk 3 Magnitude Shift, Mixed Blood (fire)B
    8 Mongrel 3 Mixed Blood (beastblood)B
    9 Mongrel 4/Monk 4 Mixed Blood (crossblood)B, Stealthy
    10 Formless 1 Sensory ShiftB
    11 Formless 2/Warder 3 Chameleon ShiftB, Nightstalker
    12 Formless 3/Warder 4 Rapid ShiftingB
    13 Formless 4/Warder 5 Swiftwing Shift
    Lord of the Wheel Lurker in DarknessB
    Training Weapon Dirty Trick MasterB, Equipment Trick (rope)B, Seize the OpportunityB

Ability Scores 20-point buy
    Str 12 10 base, 2 belt
    Dex 30 15 base, 2 race, 3 level, 6 belt, 4 unbounded ability
    Con 16 14 base, 2 belt
    Int 22 16 base, 2 race, 4 headband
    Wis 16 12 base, 2 race, 2 headband
    Cha 7 7 base

NOTABLE TYPICAL STATISTICS
    LN Gargantuan male outsider (beastblood, crossblood, fire, goblinoid, native, orc, shapechanger)

Defense
    AC 44, touch 31, flat-footed 29 (9 armor, 8 natural, 4 shield, 10 dex, 5 dodge, -2 size)
    Fort +20, Ref +22, Will +16; +7 vs mind-affecting; +7 vs disease, poison, exhaustion and fatigue
    Immune fire; Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5
    Defensive Abilities 70% chance to ignore crit or sneak attack, all around vision, evasion, hide in plain sight, Lurker in Darkness, permanent eclipsed dancing lights (CL 9), uncanny dodge
    CMD 52 (54 vs dirty trick, 55 vs grapple), as Colossal size

Offense
    Speed 60 ft., fly 60 ft.
    Melee +2 fiend's grip +24/+18/+13 (8d6+3 plus armiger's mark, curse and grab)
    Space 20 ft. Reach 35 ft., 55 ft. with fiend's grip (+15 ft. using defensive focus) (20 size, 5 unnatural reach, 5 Stance of the Thunderbrand, 5 sudden reach)
    CMB +39 (dirty trick +52, grapple +54, other using fiend's grip +48), as Colossal size
    Warder Maneuvers Readied (IL 11, Int) Stance of the ThunderbrandPT5 (in use), Bob and WeaveFE2, Iron DustBB3, Make Them HumbleFE4, Moment of MasteryFE5, Tempest Tango BlitzFE6
    Warlord Maneuvers Readied (IL 7, Cha), Leaping DragonTD1, Minute HandRH1, Time SkitterRH3 (5 rounds remaining), Flick of the WristTD2

Miscellaneous
    Initiative +11; Senses blindsense 30 ft., darkvision 60 ft., scent; Perception +30; Stealth +48
    Gear +2 training spiked gauntlet, +1 training spiked gauntlet, training amulet of mighty fists, +3 mithral celestial armor of +5 stealth with permanent eclipsed dancing lights, +2 heavy steel shield, belt (+2 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, +4 resistance), headband (+4 Int, +2 Wis, +4 Perception), cracked pale green prism (saves), cracked dusty rose prism in wayfinder, muleback cords

Spoiler: Blake Blackhole, Combined Mechanics
    Show
    The following describes Blake's most cheesy noteworthy mechanical combos (aside from the more obvious ones providing size increases and purely numerical bonuses). These permanently available combos are of course accompanied by synergizing maneuvers which further increase Blake's capabilities as his party's primary tank.

Hogtying Gravity
    Seize the Opportunity is a fantastically powerful feat, and Blake uses with grapple related options it to immediately reposition and tie up enemies hit by his a melee attacks.
    1. Fiend's Grip Most of the melee attacks Blake makes have the grab ability, allowing him to start a grapple as a free action if he hits.
    2. Graceful Grappler When grappled, Blake doesn't suffer the penalties to attack or AC, and can still make AoOs.
    3. Grapple RAW "If you successfully grapple a creature that is not adjacent to you, move that creature to an adjacent open space (if no space is available, your grapple fails)."
    4. Stance of the Thunderbrand The automatic movement of an opponent Blake grapples (as per point #3) allows him to make an AoO.
    5. Seize the Opportunity Blake can attempt to maintain a grapple when a grappled opponent provokes an AoO, and he may thus immediately both start and maintain a grapple when he hits a non-adjacent opponent with any kind of melee attack.
    6. Equipment Trick (rope) Blake only takes a –5 penalty to his grapple check when attempting to tie up an opponent he grapples.

Dazing Gravity
    This is similar to Blake's Hogtying combo, but for dirty trick instead of grapple.
    1. Improved & Greater Dirty Trick Aside from the universal combat maneuver feat benefits, these feats increase the duration of a condition applied by Blake's dirty tricks, and demand the opponent spends a standard action to remove the condition.
    2. Dirty Trick Master When Blake makes a dirty trick against an opponent already suffering from the dazzled or sickened condition applied by a previous dirty trick, the condition worsens to dazed or nauseated, which prevents the opponent from taking the standard action required to remove the condition.
    3. Seize the Opportunity Blake can make dirty trick attempts as AoOs.
    4. Stance of the Thunderbrand The automatic movement of an opponent Blake grabs (as per point #3 in the Hogtying Gravity combo above) allows him to make an AoO. This means he may immediately daze or nauseate a non-adjacent opponent which provokes an AoO (for any reason other than the mentioned automatic movement).

Stealth Perfection
    Whenever Blake moves he becomes virtually undetectable, even if he was observed through unusual or magic senses. Besides making Blake a great scout and providing him with a useful means of escaping trouble, this combo also means most opponents are denied their Dex bonus to AC against a large majority of Blake's attacks, further increasing his combat prowess.
    1. Chameleon Shift Aside from granting great bonuses to Stealth, this feat allows Blake to make Stealth checks even when observed.
    2. Lurker in Darkness Creatures using unusual forms of sensory perception (like blindsight or tremorsense) must still make a Perception check as normal to detect Blake when he uses Stealth, and he cannot be detected by indirect means (such as using detect magic to search for Blake's magic items).
    3. Nightstalker While in dim light or natural darkness, Blake takes no size penalties to Stealth and instead gains a +2 bonus.
    4. Permanent eclipsed dancing lights Cast on Blake's armor (by an allied or paid caster), this permanent spell may dim the light around Blake, allowing him to benefit from his Nightstalker feat even while in areas with normal light. And most importantly, it provides the stylish "blackness" of his "black hole" fighting style!

I haven't yet been able to test Blake in a real game, but I believe that in a vast majority of circumstances, he'll be able to easily take out several opponents of a CR way above his level each round. So yeah, I think the revised Magnitude Shift can definitely be a game changer for Dex based melee, making previously incompatible combat styles and new character concepts not just viable, but potentially very strong. Great work Keledrath!

Suggestions/critique/praise/comments/hole-poking most appreciated!

Fixed. Unfortunately the table of contents is kind of a mess, and was actually generated by Google Docs, not us. It's one of those things I keep meaning to organize, but never get around to
    Yeah, the outline simply lists text formatted as headlines. If you have a few minutes, just make a google doc template, including preferable headline formats etc, and share it with all DSP writers. That will probably make it a lot more likely future playtest docs have correct outlines (as well as a nice standardized basic formatting).
    Last edited by upho; 2017-10-22 at 08:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you'd be surprised. Much of the discipline is actually under par on damage, and while there's a few interesting counters (Bristle is a favorite of mine), and the stances can provide some excellent utility, it's generally pretty tame. If you have anything specific you're concerned about I'd love to hear your opinions on the discipline in greater detail.
    I take it that part of the dev process for DSP involves large amounts in in-house playtesting and number crunching?

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    I take it that part of the dev process for DSP involves large amounts in in-house playtesting and number crunching?
    Not exactly in-house when it comes to play testing. We all live in very different timezones. Makes things hard to coordinate. But most of us have active groups that are willing to let us test stuff, or want to test things themselves. Also, so much math..... weeps silently.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Not exactly in-house when it comes to play testing. We all live in very different timezones. Makes things hard to coordinate. But most of us have active groups that are willing to let us test stuff, or want to test things themselves. Also, so much math..... weeps silently.
    Still, though, you actually test the things made to make sure they aren't broken. Whether by number crunching or by actually playing the game, you people try to make sure that it's fun and fair game mechanics.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

They also get a lot of play-tests and play-builds from the community; for example, even though I'm not on the DSP team, I worked with Keledrath as I was building a Silverblade Hunter / Myrmidon, which ended up with us discussing what ended up being an oversight on his part and a wording adjustment to Silverblade.

Devs that post here tend to get a lot of eyes.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sooooo, I was building my Huntsman and came up with kind of an odd problem. What happens when I take Martial Training from PoW?
    Do I share my Maneuvers and stances with my wolf pack? do they get their own set of maneuvers? If so do they get to pick their own Discipline?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

It would share the same instance of Martial Training that you took: maneuver/discipline choice is the same. The Pack does have it's own pool of of readied maneuvers.

As far as initiating maneuvers, the Pack gets a standard and move action when given a full turn. The "attack with all beasts" is only one standard action it can take. It could, instead, initiate one strike through one beast, but wouldn't be able to attack with the others.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

Great honkin' list of comments incoming!
    1. A comment on the Wild Huntmaster:
      Hunting Pack: As a full-round action, she can fill the remaining slots in her collective with her hunting pack.
      I don't like this wording, it implies you fill the entirety of your empty collective slots, when the next sentence provides a limitation on how much you can fill. Unless of course "he can fill up to one slot, plus one additional slot for every 4 class levels" is just referring to how many slots you fill each time you use the ability, but that given enough time you could fill all the slots. It's also unclear how Hunting Pack interacts when you have multiple collectives. By a strict reading the limit could be interpreted as per collective, letting you grow an even larger pack.
    2. The Beasts of the Hunt ability for the pack says, "The hunting pack threatens squares as if it were in the space of each beast", does that mean it can flank with itself if its beasts are in appropriate positions? It feels like they should to me.
    3. I love the Silverblade Hunter just for the +2 skill points and Wis class skills, always thought it was absurd the Fighter didn't have Perception on its list.
    4. Moonlight Meditant being incompatible with Brutality Blade makes me a little sad, angry psionic werewolf class would be cool. There is an error however, Controlled Composition stats it stacks with "moonsilver corona" but no such ability exists. I'm guessing it should be in Wolves' Clothing instead?
    5. Formless Master not letting a character in with a transforming psionic power such as Greater Metamorphosis seems silly. I know it's a level higher than Polymorph, but there's no equivalent level 5 psionic power, and at least it would let a single class Psion in. Might want to allow Form of Doom as well for Psychic Warriors.
    6. Varsärk class feature prereqs are confusing, is it saying you need the two rage powers and then one of the varying rage abilities it lists? It should also allow increasing Wilder manifester level, as one with Raging Surge can fill all the rage stuff one their own.
    7. Chimera Soul Dominance feels underwhelming for the final feat in a style line. Maybe let it also augment Chimera Soul Spikes up to 4 spikes when used?
    8. Giga Roar is a silly name, how about Roar of the Wild? Packmaster's Pride? Roaring Shout? Just something a bit better please.
    9. What's the point of Style Shift when I could take Rapid Shifting instead?

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    [*]A comment on the Wild Huntmaster:I don't like this wording, it implies you fill the entirety of your empty collective slots, when the next sentence provides a limitation on how much you can fill. Unless of course "he can fill up to one slot, plus one additional slot for every 4 class levels" is just referring to how many slots you fill each time you use the ability, but that given enough time you could fill all the slots. It's also unclear how Hunting Pack interacts when you have multiple collectives. By a strict reading the limit could be interpreted as per collective, letting you grow an even larger pack.
    Added wording to clarify

[*]The Beasts of the Hunt ability for the pack says, "The hunting pack threatens squares as if it were in the space of each beast", does that mean it can flank with itself if its beasts are in appropriate positions? It feels like they should to me.
    Indeed they can

[*]I love the Silverblade Hunter just for the +2 skill points and Wis class skills, always thought it was absurd the Fighter didn't have Perception on its list.
    Thank you. I basically wanted to give an alternative to Lore Warden that stacked with Myrmidon, and it was easier to do a Wisdom based one than a Cha based one.

[*]Moonlight Meditant being incompatible with Brutality Blade makes me a little sad, angry psionic werewolf class would be cool.
    Well, Moonlight meditant is very explicitly NOT a werewolf, but someone who overcame the curse. And sadly there's not a lot that could be done since meditant is a highly transformative archetype.

There is an error however, Controlled Composition stats it stacks with "moonsilver corona" but no such ability exists. I'm guessing it should be in Wolves' Clothing instead?
    Been meaning to fix that and kept forgetting to. It is now done. Indeed, it was referring to an old name for In Wolves' Clothing.

[*]Formless Master not letting a character in with a transforming psionic power such as Greater Metamorphosis seems silly. I know it's a level higher than Polymorph, but there's no equivalent level 5 psionic power, and at least it would let a single class Psion in. Might want to allow Form of Doom as well for Psychic Warriors.
    Will look into how to address this. I think Psionics was just forgotten on the laundry list of prerequisite options.

[*]Varsärk class feature prereqs are confusing, is it saying you need the two rage powers and then one of the varying rage abilities it lists?
    It's honestly hard to see in the document, but the thing after "beast totem rage power" is a semicolon, which is used to separate them out. It is indeed the two rage powers, then one of the following.

It should also allow increasing Wilder manifester level, as one with Raging Surge can fill all the rage stuff one their own.
    Will review, same deal as Formless Master on this one

[*]Chimera Soul Dominance feels underwhelming for the final feat in a style line. Maybe let it also augment Chimera Soul Spikes up to 4 spikes when used?
    Will consider, though don't underestimate how valuable beating DR is on natural attack builds.

[*]Giga Roar is a silly name, how about Roar of the Wild? Packmaster's Pride? Roaring Shout? Just something a bit better please.
    You're actually the first person to complain about it, I've had a lot of people tell me they really like it.

[*]What's the point of Style Shift when I could take Rapid Shifting instead?
    Hm...looking at it, I'm not really seeing it. Going to pass it through internal, but it might be that we forgot to do some basic math on that one (I think it got written before I wrote Rapid Shifting)

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

Well, Moonlight meditant is very explicitly NOT a werewolf, but someone who overcame the curse. And sadly there's not a lot that could be done since meditant is a highly transformative archetype.
    I know it's not technically a werewolf, but the werewolf imagery is still very strong in it with the natural attack + size stuff. You're right about how much it changes as an archetype, though it's not quite as far off from comptability as you might think. Their quick draw replacements are pretty close, and the blade skill replacements could theoretically be offset from 4/8/12/16 by 2 levels, with the main issue actually being the throw mind blade replacements. Mostly just idle musing here, just feels like it would be a cool combination is all, a soulknife who uses his rage through psionic power to break his curse.
    Will look into how to address this. I think Psionics was just forgotten on the laundry list of prerequisite options.
    Will review, same deal as Formless Master on this one
    Neat, thanks!
    Will consider, though don't underestimate how valuable beating DR is on natural attack builds.
    Well, considering having a high enough magic enhancement does it anyways, you might be underestimating the ability of such builds to already do so. And it's pretty rare to need multiple on the list at the same time, especially when you consider that once you have a high enhancement bonus all you really need is the alignment DR bypass, which is typically only a single axis.
    You're actually the first person to complain about it, I've had a lot of people tell me they really like it.
    Different strokes for different folks and all. Not the end of the world for me at all if it stays, I'll just struggle to keep a straight face whenever I see it .

I also didn't notice the Bloodrager archetype before, it's not in the document outline. Don't have much to say about it other than holy mother of bites! Won't most go for Vital Strike since they will actually have a high base damage on the bite and can't use it to iterative anyways? I don't really know enough about Bloodragers to say for sure really.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

I also didn't notice the Bloodrager archetype before, it's not in the document outline. Don't have much to say about it other than holy mother of bites! Won't most go for Vital Strike since they will actually have a high base damage on the bite and can't use it to iterative anyways? I don't really know enough about Bloodragers to say for sure really.
    As mentioned, the outline is a bit of a mess.

And yeah, Vital Strike is very much a synergy goal. Hence why I put it on their bonus feat list. My favorite build for it combines Vital Strike, the Trip line, Combat Reflexes, and Seize the Opportunity (PoW:E feat that allows you to Vital Strike on AoOs) to play Big Papa Wolf and Bite-Trip-Bite anyone who gets near you.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Different strokes for different folks and all. Not the end of the world for me at all if it stays, I'll just struggle to keep a straight face whenever I see it .
    It's hardly the first silly name we've brought to the game, and it follows a long tradition of little jokes stretching all the way back to AD&D. I mean, this is coming from the same guy who wrote the Ambu-lancer and named the feat Polearm Dancer

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

It's hardly the first silly name we've brought to the game, and it follows a long tradition of little jokes stretching all the way back to AD&D. I mean, this is coming from the same guy who wrote the Ambu-lancer and named the feat Polearm Dancer
    Yeah, I didn't like the Ambu-lancer either . How dare you have your own sense of humor!