New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Diablo III:3 Kanai Fix It?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    That's weird - when I rolled HC for the first time, all the bonus tabs I had won in SC carried over; Both my HC and SC characters have the full complement of 10 tabs. Are you saying that the reverse is not true?
    Oh! No. I have 6 tabs total. In both Hardcore and regular, 2 tabs are reserved for gems, materials, followers gear, potions, etc. In my hardcore stash, my wizard is entitled to the other four tabs. In my non-hardcore, my wizard and crusader have to split the four tabs, for two each.

Anyway, both of my wizards currently are not using Archon, and they are T13 / GR60-capable with little fuss. One is Etched Sigil Disintegrate and the other is Lightning-ball Delsere. That second one will be even better after the buffs next patch, so I can't wait!
    Hmm. I'll have to give those a try. I haven't used Delsere's since they got rid of the "enemies in your Slow Time take 2000% weapon damage per second" clear back at the beginning of last year. I have the full set, though. As for the Firebird setup, I think I even have the Twisted Sword sitting in my stash. I'll have to give them a try. I will need to complete the Endless Walk, though. And find a non-Ancient Deathwish to burn and an Etched Sigil to carry.

Thanks!

Edit: How often do you use Unstable Anomaly, considering you already have the Firebird Cheat Death Meteor?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-02-22 at 07:59 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #812
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Oh! No. I have 6 tabs total. In both Hardcore and regular, 2 tabs are reserved for gems, materials, followers gear, potions, etc. In my hardcore stash, my wizard is entitled to the other four tabs. In my non-hardcore, my wizard and crusader have to split the four tabs, for two each.
    Ah gotcha, when you said you had 2 tabs for your wizard I boggled for a minute

As for me, I have as mentioned 10 tabs, but I also have 2 of every class (1 per gender) so space is at a premium even then. I'm looking forward to next patch with its crafting mat storage as that will free up a decent chunk of room.

Hmm. I'll have to give those a try. I haven't used Delsere's since they got rid of the "enemies in your Slow Time take 2000% weapon damage per second" clear back at the beginning of last year. I have the full set, though. As for the Firebird setup, I think I even have the Twisted Sword sitting in my stash. I'll have to give them a try. I will need to complete the Endless Walk, though. And find a non-Ancient Deathwish to burn and an Etched Sigil to carry.

Thanks!
    If you have an ancient Deathwish, I would wield that and cube the TS instead.

As for Delsere - yeah the change to Slow Time was a bummer but, at the same time, I kinda like its more bursty style.

Edit: How often do you use Unstable Anomaly, considering you already have the Firebird Cheat Death Meteor?
    Not often; it has procced in a rift if I get extra careless, but it's definitely rare. I'm so used to it being on my sheet that I haven't really bothered taking it off. I could probably swap it for Conflagration or something without worry, the built-in cheat is enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

Until I find a Hergbrash's Binding (come on, Kadala!), I'm swapping Unstable Anomally out for Astral Presence. Taeguk is not that useful if you can't maintain your channeling for 10 seconds. Yeah, I cubed my Twisted Sword. Now I just want a Ramaladni's Gift to put a socket in my Deathwish. Anyone know how to "farm" those?
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #814

Until I find a Hergbrash's Binding (come on, Kadala!), I'm swapping Unstable Anomally out for Astral Presence.
    Do you not have one cubed? And since you're running a generator anyway, I'd probably go with Prodigy instead so that you can top up more quickly, especially if you have a Shame of Delsere lying around. You can go from 0AP to full in a couple of seconds. Presence doesn't give you as much control over your resource, which means less control over your burst periods. (i.e. you want to be guaranteed full power right before the fire cycle on your CoE or right as you click a power pylon etc.

Taeguk is not that useful if you can't maintain your channeling for 10 seconds.
    A quick burst while running is all you need to keep it refreshed. Just tap shift every few seconds as you hunt for the next pack.

Now I just want a Ramaladni's Gift to put a socket in my Deathwish. Anyone know how to "farm" those?
    If it helps, most of mine have come from GRs rather than regular rifts. No idea if that affects the drop rate or not, just my observation.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

I've got Hergbrash in Hardcore, but not yet in regular. And Kadala's being stubborn. So currently I'm using an Ancient Jang's Envelopment for extra Black Hole fun. I picked up an Ancient Etched Sigil almost immediately after switching my build, though!

6. - Top - End - #816

Grats on the Sigil!

With Jang's you should have an easier time getting mileage out of Bane of the Trapped at range as well.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground

Are we sure Magic Weapon counts as a skill for Firebird's? I seem to not be setting them ablaze unless I hit with Energy Twister and Black Hole (plus disintegrate). If Magic Weapon counts, I should only need to hit with one of those, right?

8. - Top - End - #818

Are we sure Magic Weapon counts as a skill for Firebird's? I seem to not be setting them ablaze unless I hit with Energy Twister and Black Hole (plus disintegrate). If Magic Weapon counts, I should only need to hit with one of those, right?
    I wouldn't actually know - I only use Deflection on my MW, which combos with the Blood Bracer to give you a huge toughness boost.

The playstyle of the build is to go hunt for the nearest elite, 1-2-3 set them on fire, then use your super saiyan buff from doing so to fry all the trash that were chasing you up to that point. Basically once elites are on fire you should pretty much be ignoring them (at least initially) to go kill everything else. Even the Rift Guardian should just be ignited and kited to other packs, unless you're in a GR (where there won't be any.) This is easy to do because the Guardian will teleport to keep up with you, so you can kite it all over the map, at least until it burns to death.

Because you're focused on igniting elites, you should always have a black hole available for the sequence to ensure you get your superbuff - either the skill itself will be off cooldown, or the etched sigil version will.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-02-24 at 09:24 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #819
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I was using Magic Weapon-Ignite early in the season before I got my set wand+source for the archon build, and it does work, BUT: You need the ignite itself to proc on the thing you want to get the triple on, and by the time you get past it being chance-based, and the proc coefficients of the skills, it can take a little while to do so.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

The playstyle of the build is to go hunt for the nearest elite, 1-2-3 set them on fire, then use your super saiyan buff from doing so to fry all the trash that were chasing you up to that point. Basically once elites are on fire you should pretty much be ignoring them (at least initially) to go kill everything else. Even the Rift Guardian should just be ignited and kited to other packs, unless you're in a GR (where there won't be any.) This is easy to do because the Guardian will teleport to keep up with you, so you can kite it all over the map, at least until it burns to death.

Because you're focused on igniting elites, you should always have a black hole available for the sequence to ensure you get your superbuff - either the skill itself will be off cooldown, or the etched sigil version will.
    So not really a build that plays well with others, but good for solo play.

I finally found Hergbrash, and Ramaladni's Gift (from a cursed chest in the High Heavens), pushing my dps up to 1,002,550.

Looks like I've got everything I need for your Lightningball build. I'll have to give that a try.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-02-26 at 09:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Opinion/math question: How many Ancient pieces would you consider to be needed to make using LoN better than a class set? For reference on the comparison, I am currently using the Shadow set (most relevant effect: 1200% damage for using a melee weapon, in exchange for being locked out of the all the skills that require a bow.) I would have a total of 6 Ancient items, including the two handbows that have Strafe properties and a Hellfire. The others are legendary affix-less, and would simply be equipped to increase the LoN bonus.

So - 6 Ancients plus ~180% Strafe damage versus 6-piece Shadow set. Intangible: I suspect I'd enjoy the Strafe-centric play more than I am the Impale/non-Bow-skills style recommended/enforced by the Shadow set.

12. - Top - End - #822

It depends heavily on the set in question - after all, several of them are actually on par with even the best LoN builds (e.g. Uliana EP) and some far exceed it (Firebird Archon and Vyrasha Archon).

Shadow meanwhile is one of the weaker sets, so a LoN DH build won't have to try hard to beat it. Before you give up on it totally though, next patch it's getting a buff via the Holy Point Shot.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

It depends heavily on the set in question - after all, several of them are actually on par with even the best LoN builds (e.g. Uliana EP) and some far exceed it (Firebird Archon and Vyrasha Archon).

Shadow meanwhile is one of the weaker sets, so a LoN DH build won't have to try hard to beat it. Before you give up on it totally though, next patch it's getting a buff via the Holy Point Shot.
    Huh. That's interesting. Won't do much unless each of the extra knives qualifies for the huge damage bonus to the first target hit from Shadow.. might be pretty impressive if it does, tho. I don't think I've hit the upper limit of Shadow only yet, and if nothing else I'm still going to need to use it to farm a replacement set/Ancients to use for LoN.. but I'm starting to see why one of the icyvein's guides on this set only takes two pieces for the big damage buff and then mix-and-matches it with other sets and individual legendaries.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Bugbear in the Playground

I seem to need some help.

The Anniversary event pulled me into D3 again and I've been working on my season journey to get the extra stash tab, but I'm having a bit of a problem with survival on my Wizard. I can do reasonable damage in T13, but it's very much a "I erase you instantly when all my Manald procs go off or die instantly" scenario where I grumble and wish I had the survival and endurance of a friend's Crusader. In T11 I have no problems and T12 is easy unless I get a bad combination of mob abilities.

I've been working to try to improve my survival without dropping my damage, but I'm just... stumped. Most creatures just seem to instantly blast 1.75m hp off based on how I go from full + shield + full deflection stack to an unstable anomaly proc and an empty HP orb. I've been messing with my legendary gems to try to find a more ideal setup, and dropping Taeguk for Iceblink seems to have helped considerably, I tried quite a few from Mirinae's to the Gizzard. (Now to just get Iceblink caught up to my main gems.)

The Ancient enhancing recipe in the cube is tempting me, but my gut is telling me that I don't have high enough legendary gems to be worth using it on, since I'm guessing whatever Royal gem I stamp into the ancient is permanent and can't be improved upon later? Or can I overwrite the enhancement with a better one when I gain the ability to make higher level legendary gems? I don't have enough ancients or high level gems yet to be worth experimenting with it, but feel like I could stand to add a bit more vitality to my gear.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think you'll be able to improve your toughness without doing *something* that will reduce your damage (edit - short of farming up Ancient versions of all your stuff/rerolling them in the Cube a lot to get Ancients and/or better stat rolls), but there should be some relatively painless options. The one that stands out to me is Storm Armor; are/were you having Arcane Power problems that this is solving, or is it there to be another method of triggering Paralysis? Swapping to Energy Armor would give you a significant Toughness increase; you could do it with one of the AP-related runes, or Prismatic Armor for even more toughness. I'm a little surprised Iceblink is helping you, since you're already using Bane of the Trapped, but I suppose that makes some sense as you appear to be using your escape ability as an offense instead; the extra slowing is probably helpful in keeping monster packs moving slowly and spread enough to run back out of nasty ground effects. Consider Esoteric Alteration in place of Iceblink, if you haven't hit on that one yet. Taeguk is probably the actual best option, but that requires you to practice (and tolerate playing in that style) stutter-stepping a tap of Arcane Torrent every 1.5 seconds. Effective, sure, but really annoying to keep up.

Changing Storm Armor is probably the biggest toughness increase you'll get without making a really significant change to how you play - that one switch to Energy Armor - Prismatic Armor yields nearly 12 million more sheet toughness. That and just grinding out more Paragon levels and dumping them in your prime stat.

Edit: Yes, Caldesann's can be redone later if you grind up a more highly leveled gem.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2017-03-01 at 01:45 AM.

16. - Top - End - #826

Elucidating-

Storm Armor & Magic weapon: This was Frost Armor/Crystallize and Magic Weapon/Conduit, I had the RoRG in the cube, and an ancient Halo of Arlyse w/ a roll of 54% melee reduction, and I was displeased with my damage output and survival both. I decided to go back to using Manald Heal after doing some critical analysis. (My deaths are usually due to unavoidable Blizzard Floor Vomit (BFV).) I had an ancient RoRG that was better than my Manald heals, so RoRG replaced Arlyse and since Frost Armor wasn't really helping, I looked at Icy Veins, saw Storm Armor was part of the Manald channel build there but it didn't really have much in the way of defensive properties, figured "Well, I am dying ineffectively one way or the other" and set SA/Power of the Storm.

The result after was that I had constant near max AP after setting SA, so I dropped MW/Conduit for MW/Deflection thinking "Well, constant 4% refills that get up to 16% of 1 million HP has to help somehow?" and... no, no it does not. Additionally, Paralysis is proc'd by Arcane Torrent. (Prior to Manald Heal I was using Arcane Torrent/Flame Ward and Taeguk as part of an excessive defense setup that really wasn't doing much but hamstringing my damage ceiling.)

Teleport/Wave of Force: Sort of, I'm actually using a no target or opening cast of it to trigger Tal Rasha (6) - Arcane. Sometimes I blink offensively, but when scary things show up I keep it as an escape unless I'm really sure the Meteor burst will help drop what I'm fighting.

Taeguk: I was using Taeguk, but found that I wasn't getting good uptime because individual encounters didn't last long enough and the Arcane Torrent stutter step was driving me crazy. It doesn't help I run with friends that have really high movement speed and couldn't keep up at all.

Iceblink: Iceblink is helping because of the synergy between Arcane Torrent, Etched Sigil, The Twisted Blade, and Energy Twister/Mistral Breeze. (I think?)

Energy Armor: I really don't understand how Toughness works, how is that much sheet toughness helping me? At your mention of EA/Prismatic armor I was reminded of EA/Force Armor from back at launch. Using Force armor I made it through two solo GR 60s surprisingly well, albeit at a glacial pace. (Died a bit, but to BFV.) I'm tired and will try EA/Prismatic Armor tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for the input!
    My Homebrew
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

17. - Top - End - #827

Some suggestions:

- First, some easy rerolls in case my gearing and skill advice below is unappealing or impossible:
    Spoiler
    Show

- Amulet - reroll Life on Hit to Vitality
    - Orb - reroll Area Damage to Vitality
    - Bracer - reroll Cold Damage to Armor (Lightning is almost as big a part of your output as cold so you may as well not focus on one or the other.)

Doing just those three with average values, I was able to raise your base toughness by 37% (36 -> 50) with minimal impact to your damage. Tals will then apply its DR multiplier to that value. Moreover, those buffs increase your Life, which means your shields will also be stronger.

(1) As mentioned, drop Storm Armor for Prismatic Force Armor. Doing this, I bumped your toughness even more (50 -> 67, or a base toughness increase of 82% over your starting value.)

(2) Replace Ranslor's Folly with Ashnagarr's Blood Bracer. You have a bit of vacuum/CC overkill with Folly because you already also have Black Hole, Paralysis and Iceblink. That's four sources of CC on your build. Paralysis of course you need for the big damage shock, so that plus Black Hole should have you all set, especially since you're running a long-range build that will keep you out of the action anyway. Blood Bracer will double the toughness effect of three of your abilities (Deflection, Unstable Anomaly, and Galvanizing Ward, the biggest one) for huge mitigation and recovery - your 120% strength shield will fully heal after 5 seconds of not getting hit, even if it only has 1HP left - that is the equivalent of your entire life orb being replenished in 5 seconds; you can't beat recovery like that.

(3) Speaking of Iceblink - I like the idea of a heavy snare but again, you're rocking black hole, cold tornadoes and paralysis for plenty of CC already. Replacing it with Bane of the Powerful will not only give you more toughness, it will get you increased damage as well.

(4) Bane of the Stricken is good, but not actually necessary until you find that you're taking a long time to kill the Rift Guardian, which should only start to happen as you push into higher rifts. I would replace that with Zei's Stone of Vengeance - again between Paralysis and Black Hole you should have an easy time keeping enemies at the optimal distance to layer on the pain. Alternatively, consider Esoteric Alteration as your third gem - with Powerful's damage buff above, you may find that your clear times increase enough to not need Stricken too, and can fall back on a bit more toughness.

(5) While Deathwish gives you a decent damage bump, if you're not currently having damage issues it might be worthwhile to go for more toughness instead. Consider putting Etched Sigil in the cube and wielding Tal Rasha's Eye - this will free up one of your other Tal slots, notably the armor slot for Aquila Cuirass, which combined with your Hergbrash in the cube will mean a massive toughness increase. This step will impact your damage though, so I would do the above first and see how you do before resorting to this last one.

EDIT: I'd also replace Audacity with Unwavering Will. You'll take a small damage hit against things that get close to you but nothing should be close to you anyway. In exchange, you get a damage increase against things far away, and a big toughness increase too (final value without the Aquila thing: 79,683,358 base, or 117% of your starting toughness value.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-03-01 at 01:20 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #828

Won't get to play for a bit, but initial thoughts on your feedback, Psyren:

Rerolls: The two Vitality ones should be easy, done. The Cold damage one I'm less certain about, will hold that as an iterative change.

(1): Storm armor is out, but I am still uncertain as to the value of Prismatic Armor vs Energy Armor. I'm getting the idea that Blizzard seems to have done the same thing to Toughness that they did to Damage where your actual stats do all but nothing aside from apply as feeder stats to make the number they actually use bigger, but I'm uncertain as to how to evaluate that. (Seriously, would it have killed them to just... use the Diablo 2 math? That math actually made sense.)

(2): Under consideration. I don't have an equivalent ancient Ashnagarr's at the moment, but I have two that I planned on reroll leapfrogging at some point. The Ranslor's proc is my primary CC as I can reliably trigger it. Black Hole is basically there not as CC but as "Tal Rasha proc spell with benefits". Also, switched back to MW/Conduit to smooth out my AP regen without Storm armor, as my mana tends to get really spiky when I need to manually tornado to maintain 4 stack.

(3): Under consideration. Again, I like the synergy it has with everything as it gives me my bane of the trapped on things that Paralysis hasn't deigned to stun yet.

(4): Okay, stricken is out. Looking at the gems I have leveled, does Efficacious Toxin make sense as a split the difference damage + DR? I'd forgotten it had 10% damage reduction as well as the damage taken increase, and I have it sitting in my stash at Level 45.

(5): Change held in reserve for if things get desperate. I had considered doing similar, but instead of using Aquila Cuirass, I had thought to cube the sigil and replace the RoRG with a Halo of Karini instead.

Edit: I've toyed with this off and on myself. I'll give it a shot, it sims fine and helps with an issue I have where things tend to end up deadzoned right outside my damage boost.

Other tweaks: I'm going to try to slap some Vit on via Caldesann's. I have a few unused gems that hit 45 because I misunderstood the season journey to need 6 level 45 gems, so some GR pushes will get those to 50 for a quick Vit boost... I guess I'll find out how well the above affects my survival when doing so.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #829

(1) Energy Armor is the base skill unruned, did you mean Force Armor here? Or Energy Tap? (I recommend against the latter, see below.)

(2) I'm still totally unclear on why you need AP regen at all. Torrent + Hergbrash is basically free (heck, Disintegrate + Hergbrash is free, and that skill is even more expensive!) The best I can determine is that you're maybe hardcasting Twisters sometimes? you definitely shouldn't be doing that for any reason. Pretty much the only Sigil spender you should even think of hardcasting is Black Hole, and then only to create some quick density while your Sigil is off-cycle. Literally the only way AT should be draining your AP is if your attack speed is through the roof, and I'm talking 100+ Vyr stacks through-the-roof.

(3) You don't need stuns like Paralysis to proc BoT, any snare will do it too - meaning, every single cold spell in the wizard's arsenal. In your case specifically, your tornadoes should be proccing the gem constantly.

(4) I would use the Toxin until you have a Bane of the Powerful leveled. Keep in mind that Powerful will give you 15% DR instead of 10, and 20% damage instead of 10 (35% against elites.) Toxin can't really beat that, which is why Powerful is recommended for so many builds (read: all of them.)

(5) I haven't gotten to find/use a Karini myself so I can't comment on that.

And I have to advise against using Vitality with Caldesann's, that's a waste of good gems. Remember that Int boosts your toughness too - not by as much perhaps, but unlike Vit it also boosts damage. Maybe on hardcore it's worth it, though I'm skeptical even then - you should only be stacking mainstat with that recipe.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #830

Hmm. On logging in, It seems that d3planner got stupid about some of my equipment. My amulet and orb have Sockets rerolled on them already, so I can't do that. D'oh. Rerolling the helm's arcane twister damage and socket on my orb to Vit got me +748 and +989, bringing me up to 1.45m HP, so there's that.

(1) Energy Armor is the base skill unruned, did you mean Force Armor here? Or Energy Tap? (I recommend against the latter, see below.)
    Force armor. I'm constantly getting Energy Armor and Force Armor mixed up since Force Armor was the only thing that even let me play Inferno mode back in the day.

(2) I'm still totally unclear on why you need AP regen at all. Torrent + Hergbrash is basically free (heck, Disintegrate + Hergbrash is free, and that skill is even more expensive!) The best I can determine is that you're maybe hardcasting Twisters sometimes? you definitely shouldn't be doing that for any reason. Pretty much the only Sigil spender you should even think of hardcasting is Black Hole, and then only to create some quick density while your Sigil is off-cycle. Literally the only way AT should be draining your AP is if your attack speed is through the roof, and I'm talking 100+ Vyr stacks through-the-roof.
    Is there some glitch or exploit that lets me reach and maintain my Tal Rasha stack without hardcasting AP spenders? You have to hardcast to get the buff and you have to alternate casts to refresh the Elements (6) stack, that means casting Twisters once every 4~5 seconds, and you straight up lose the resists from Elements (4) because those have to be hardcast to refresh them.

(3) You don't need stuns like Paralysis to proc BoT, any snare will do it too - meaning, every single cold spell in the wizard's arsenal. In your case specifically, your tornadoes should be proccing the gem constantly.
    I don't recall seeing the tornado chilling things at all prior to socketing the gem- just doing cold damage? (Admittedly it can be hard to tell when it yanks an entire screen on and there's too many bodies in one spot to focus on one.)

(4) I would use the Toxin until you have a Bane of the Powerful leveled. Keep in mind that Powerful will give you 15% DR instead of 10, and 20% damage instead of 10 (35% against elites.) Toxin can't really beat that, which is why Powerful is recommended for so many builds (read: all of them.)
    Interesting, I hadn't looked at the lv 25 passive on that gem, that does look nice for my Blizzard Floor Vomit problem. (well, it won't help with flatulent zombies, but still.) Before I started grifting and got used to encountering elites within screens of each other, I had written it off as the primary effect reads "I do nothing until after you don't need me." For Blue mobs, does killing a single one trigger the primary effect, or do I need the entire pack?

And I have to advise against using Vitality with Caldesann's, that's a waste of good gems. Remember that Int boosts your toughness too - not by as much perhaps, but unlike Vit it also boosts damage. Maybe on hardcore it's worth it, though I'm skeptical even then - you should only be stacking mainstat with that recipe.
    Hmm. With changes made, but using Eff. Toxin as a temporary stopgap until I can get Bane of the Powerful leveled, I'm looking at 31.4m toughness before casting, and ramping up to all set bonus buffs at full stack size gets me up to 70m... that then drops off to 56 when the teleport and black hole triggered Elements (4) buffs fall off at their 8 second marks.

Edit: derp, erased a sentence that mattered. "Okay, no Caldesann's vit for now, then."

Still, getting my rear handed to me, but having an extra half second before death prevention procs is nice, I guess.

Edit 2: Okay, Bane of the Powerful is caught up to mainline gems at rank 45, damage output is still solid. The damage reduction is helping a teensy bit on BFV, but the HP increase is definitely helping even more with BFV.
    Last edited by Alent; 2017-03-02 at 03:12 AM.
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #831

Quote Originally Posted by Alent View Post
    Is there some glitch or exploit that lets me reach and maintain my Tal Rasha stack without hardcasting AP spenders? You have to hardcast to get the buff and you have to alternate casts to refresh the Elements (6) stack, that means casting Twisters once every 4~5 seconds, and you straight up lose the resists from Elements (4) because those have to be hardcast to refresh them.
    Really? If that's the case I'd probably dump Etched Sigil altogether. I had assumed you were using that setup because the Sigil spells were proccing your set, but if you're actively having to fight against it (i.e. stop channeling and hardcast), then the whole build may need to be scrapped and redone

It's either that, or start packing a generator and swap the Hergrbash in your cube for something else like Shame of Delsere.

Hmm. On logging in, It seems that d3planner got stupid about some of my equipment. My amulet and orb have Sockets rerolled on them already, so I can't do that. D'oh.
    Never socket your orb; consider that a flawless royal amethyst in that socket would only net you +280 Vitality, whereas if you rerolled that socket to Vitality instead you could get up to +1000 (assuming ancient). There's no contest.

The only class that should be socketing an offhand is Crusader, and that's because of their passive that counts how many gems you're running around with.

Force armor. I'm constantly getting Energy Armor and Force Armor mixed up since Force Armor was the only thing that even let me play Inferno mode back in the day.
    Force Armor is good if you're getting squashed (which it sounds like you are) but on my builds I get more mileage out of Prismatic personally. Both are fine.

I don't recall seeing the tornado chilling things at all prior to socketing the gem- just doing cold damage? (Admittedly it can be hard to tell when it yanks an entire screen on and there's too many bodies in one spot to focus on one.)
    Yes, the chill effect from wizard cold spells procs Trapped. I seem to recall not every class' cold skills do that, but theirs definitely.

Interesting, I hadn't looked at the lv 25 passive on that gem, that does look nice for my Blizzard Floor Vomit problem. (well, it won't help with flatulent zombies, but still.) Before I started grifting and got used to encountering elites within screens of each other, I had written it off as the primary effect reads "I do nothing until after you don't need me." For Blue mobs, does killing a single one trigger the primary effect, or do I need the entire pack?
    Er... your what?

For blues you need to kill the whole pack to trigger it. Basically, watch the chat window - whenever the chat says "you killed Rare Pack / Champion / Boss" is when the game gives you credit and activates or renews your gem's buff.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #832

Really? If that's the case I'd probably dump Etched Sigil altogether. I had assumed you were using that setup because the Sigil spells were proccing your set, but if you're actively having to fight against it (i.e. stop channeling and hardcast), then the whole build may need to be scrapped and redone

It's either that, or start packing a generator and swap the Hergrbash in your cube for something else like Shame of Delsere.
    Dropping the Sigil, even with the hardcasting, is a substantial damage drop. I could probably compensate for it doing some shenanigans, but I'm uncertain as to how viable it'd be. (My first thought is Focus + Restraint, I have a Hellfire amulet w/ ProdigyArcane Dynamo on it, swap the channeling stuff for Spectral Blades or Electrocute spam, But then I lose either RoRG or Manald and have to start juggling set bonuses.

Still might be better in the long run, but I'm quite fond of my dumb stupid wizard that's a Minigun and hoover at the same time.

I keep wishing there was a way to make Delsere's relevant, because the timestop + spectral blades/thrown blade combo with all the spectral blades speed enhancers looks like it'd be silly fun, but it seems to have an artificial damage ceiling.

Also, yeah, Sigil now has 989 Vit on it. That gem was silly.

Yes, the chill effect from wizard cold spells procs Trapped. I seem to recall not every class' cold skills do that, but theirs definitely.
    Googling it some, twister doesn't seem to chill except randomly on the global cold chance... It looks like the random chill is in fact lower chance than any other proc. Hnn.

Er... your what?
    A friend and I started joking in skype about how Blizzard (the company) likes to vomit damage all over the floor. The old WoW joke is "Don't die in the fire"? We were in a level 55 grift and walked downstairs and walked half a screen and found the following combination of floor vomit producers:

Elite A: Arcane waller jailer poison
    Elite B: Arcane Wormhole waller other-poison
    Elite C: Desecration mortar molten Horde.
    Rare pack: Frozen-Orb waller Fire chains
    Every zombie in the map: explode in green cloud of poison.
    Bloated zombies: exploding corpses.

At first we only saw A, B, and the Rares, and we ran out of the corner we were stuck in... only to encounter C and the Zombies. All at once. We died. The screen was full of what looked like oldschool cartoon vomit- the radioactive glowing green kind. Most of the floor vomit does just enough damage that if I get stuck in a casting frame or click where a monster is and find myself turning to cast on it... *squish* goes the wizard.

So... yeah. Damage on the floor is Blizzard's Floor Vomit.

Edit: Hmm... On D3planner, Spectral Blades works out better than I thought it might, given the Tal Rasha Orb in the offhand finishing the set... but I need to reroll my Focus and Restraint. I also need to figure out what I plan on doing with my shoulderpad since the channeling shoulders are technically the best even if I'm not actually using channeling properly. I also need to get myself an Ancient Tal Rasha Offhand to try putting it into practice.
    Last edited by Alent; 2017-03-02 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Er, wrong name came to mind.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #833

Dropping the Sigil, even with the hardcasting, is a substantial damage drop. I could probably compensate for it doing some shenanigans, but I'm uncertain as to how viable it'd be. (My first thought is Focus + Restraint, I have a Hellfire amulet w/ ProdigyArcane Dynamo on it, swap the channeling stuff for Spectral Blades or Electrocute spam, But then I lose either RoRG or Manald and have to start juggling set bonuses.

Still might be better in the long run, but I'm quite fond of my dumb stupid wizard that's a Minigun and hoover at the same time.
    Sticking with Endless Walk (even if you're using a generator) is fine, as long as you're not using a build that requires constant motion.

As for dropping Sigil, I was being intentionally harsh - I know it's a damage hit as it currently stands.When I originally saw you were using Sigil + Tals, I was assuming they had made some update to make the combo work together. But if Sigil spenders still don't proc Tals, the two halves of your build are at odds with one another. Currently the only Sigil builds that truly work therefore are Firebirds, LoN, and maybe Vyrs. (Hmm, I just thought of that one, now I'll have to give it a try.) Basically, if you're going to be hardcasting all the time anyway, there's not much point using a channeled skill at all since you'll need to be interrupting it constantly - especially when doing so means your Taeguk and Deflection buffs will keep falling off (which can get you killed.)

As for Delsere, it's plenty relevant already (80+) and will be even moreso after they buff it next patch. The ranged build is weaker but can still handle T13 just fine.

Googling it some, twister doesn't seem to chill except randomly on the global cold chance... It looks like the random chill is in fact lower chance than any other proc. Hnn.
    I'm still almost positive that every wizard cold skill procs the gem. Not other classes unless they say so, but wizards, yes. I'll research more when I'm not at work. Can't boot up my own wizard though as I'm on a business trip and hotel internet is not conducive to gaming.

Even if that's not the case, just swap twister's cold rune with something else's, or use Ray of Frost as your channeler instead of AT.

A friend and I started joking in skype about how Blizzard (the company) likes to vomit damage all over the floor. The old WoW joke is "Don't die in the fire"? We were in a level 55 grift and walked downstairs and walked half a screen and found the following combination of floor vomit producers:

Elite A: Arcane waller jailer poison
    Elite B: Arcane Wormhole waller other-poison
    Elite C: Desecration mortar molten Horde.
    Rare pack: Frozen-Orb waller Fire chains
    Every zombie in the map: explode in green cloud of poison.
    Bloated zombies: exploding corpses.

At first we only saw A, B, and the Rares, and we ran out of the corner we were stuck in... only to encounter C and the Zombies. All at once. We died. The screen was full of what looked like oldschool cartoon vomit- the radioactive glowing green kind. Most of the floor vomit does just enough damage that if I get stuck in a casting frame or click where a monster is and find myself turning to cast on it... *squish* goes the wizard.

So... yeah. Damage on the floor is Blizzard's Floor Vomit.
    Ah! I understand you now.

That reminds me though - I know your build is tight on passives but Illusionist is a great counter to this kind of thing.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #834

Sticking with Endless Walk (even if you're using a generator) is fine, as long as you're not using a build that requires constant motion.
    Aye, I just like the Focus/Restraint + Arcane Dynamo combo in concept. Endless walk works better in every way for what I've got now. (It doesn't help that Arcane Dynamo needs WeakAuras2 to be useful. )

As for dropping Sigil, I was being intentionally harsh - I know it's a damage hit as it currently stands.When I originally saw you were using Sigil + Tals, I was assuming they had made some update to make the combo work together. But if Sigil spenders still don't proc Tals, the two halves of your build are at odds with one another. Currently the only Sigil builds that truly work therefore are Firebirds, LoN, and maybe Vyrs. (Hmm, I just thought of that one, now I'll have to give it a try.) Basically, if you're going to be hardcasting all the time anyway, there's not much point using a channeled skill at all since you'll need to be interrupting it constantly - especially when doing so means your Taeguk and Deflection buffs will keep falling off (which can get you killed.)
    Ew, Archon, don't get any of that on me.

The intentional harshness makes sense, I'm just kinda stumped. The game isn't fun the way I'm doing it since T13 is straight up bloating all the numbers higher than seems reasonable, and the builds I find fun are not compatible with the billions of DPS required for T13/60+grifts. I'd honestly be tempted to do LoN if I had enough ancients to support it, because I'm really tired of how set pieces effectively prevent any kind of build diversity. (If it were up to me set pieces wouldn't be items, they'd be runewords, and the game would go back to giving all high end pieces of gear their 2~5 sockets again so you could use them and a gem or two on almost anything that dropped. Actually, I'd probably just drop "runes" as an item class and have you pay Shen with Forgotten Souls and Death's Breaths to etch runes into the gems you're using, come to think of it.)

As for Delsere, it's plenty relevant already (80+) and will be even moreso after they buff it next patch. The ranged build is weaker but can still handle T13 just fine.
    That confuses me. It doesn't support channel... wait a second, that's not true. *tries something in D3planner* Let me get back to you on that, I need to farm up the rest of the Delsere's set again to go with the two ancient pieces I kept.

That'll take me a bit, tho', tonight I'm on the hook to DM for my D&D group.

I'm still almost positive that every wizard cold skill procs the gem. Not other classes unless they say so, but wizards, yes. I'll research more when I'm not at work. Can't boot up my own wizard though as I'm on a business trip and hotel internet is not conducive to gaming.

Even if that's not the case, just swap twister's cold rune with something else's, or use Ray of Frost as your channeler instead of AT.
    Ah, I misunderstood- I thought you were saying that every cold skill would chill without the gem, and I commented on global chance to chill without the gem accordingly.

Anyway, hope the rest of your trip goes smooth, taking time out of it to help is appreciated.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

I couldn't agree more! Well, I could, but it would require two of me.

That confuses me. It doesn't support channel... wait a second, that's not true. *tries something in D3planner* Let me get back to you on that, I need to farm up the rest of the Delsere's set again to go with the two ancient pieces I kept.
    I look forward to seeing your build. Don't forget to update your D3Planner link after you change and save your build.

I need to go find some more Illusory Boots. I recycled the last set I got, because I almost never use them. Those, or Nilfur's Boast.

26. - Top - End - #836

I look forward to seeing your build. Don't forget to update your D3Planner link after you change and save your build.

I need to go find some more Illusory Boots. I recycled the last set I got, because I almost never use them. Those, or Nilfur's Boast.
    It is saved, but I have all three builds saved in one profile for ease of comparison and item management, the "front" is the currently equipped setup. The rough is the one labeled delsere channeling.

Run act 1 and 2 bounty spam with me if you want illusory boots, something about me hosting the game skews the bonus cache RNG. >>;
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #837

It's a Vyr's build, not using it would be rather silly

I get the revulsion though, it's just so bloody pedestrian at this point.

The intentional harshness makes sense, I'm just kinda stumped. The game isn't fun the way I'm doing it since T13 is straight up bloating all the numbers higher than seems reasonable, and the builds I find fun are not compatible with the billions of DPS required for T13/60+grifts. I'd honestly be tempted to do LoN if I had enough ancients to support it, because I'm really tired of how set pieces effectively prevent any kind of build diversity. (If it were up to me set pieces wouldn't be items, they'd be runewords, and the game would go back to giving all high end pieces of gear their 2~5 sockets again so you could use them and a gem or two on almost anything that dropped. Actually, I'd probably just drop "runes" as an item class and have you pay Shen with Forgotten Souls and Death's Breaths to etch runes into the gems you're using, come to think of it.)
    I agree that sets have hurt the game's diversity a bit. At the same time though, I think there is plenty of room for experimentation - e.g. the Vyr's build I pulled out of my posterior up there.

As for the rest - no, I have absolutely no desire to go back to runes and runewords. I could see set bonuses using some reform (maybe going to a 2/3/4 setup instead of 2/4/6, or making it so that every set has 7 pieces) - but beyond that, I think the current routes of farming, gambling and upgrading are sufficient, especially once the next patch adds multiple souls from ancient and primal items.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't referring to a channeled build at all.

Ah, I misunderstood- I thought you were saying that every cold skill would chill without the gem, and I commented on global chance to chill without the gem accordingly.
    That is what I was saying - all Wizard cold skills apply a snare, and thus trigger BoT, unless they changed something of which I'm unaware.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #838

It's a Vyr's build, not using it would be rather silly

I get the revulsion though, it's just so bloody pedestrian at this point.
    I have no problem with the popularity, it's just I spend time setting up my hotbar and getting the class to play the way I'd like, and then the archon button says "nope" like Tarquin's mask.

I agree that sets have hurt the game's diversity a bit. At the same time though, I think there is plenty of room for experimentation - e.g. the Vyr's build I pulled out of my posterior up there.
    There's room for experimentation, I just find so much of it falls flat. I'm getting tired of making changes and hitting things for peanuts. There's a smallish number of optimal solutions and a massive number of suboptimals that lack enough separate multipliers just don't seem to cut it. I mean, I got my 5 pc Delsere setup together and was terribly disappointed by the results- I spaced that Manald wasn't going to get multiplied, so while the Tornados actually hit decently, (at least, sometimes) everything else hit like a fresh 70.

Right now my Blades build is doing a reasonable job thanks to everyone here, I still need to work out how to replace a few pieces and level a Gogok of Swiftness to replace Iceblink. (I have no better shoulder piece, for example, and that orb finds itself somewhat south of ideal.) I also need to practice getting out of Floor vomit, because I still struggle with that.

Kinda tempted to try setting up the steam controller to take advantage of that build, since it isn't exactly a "click on things" kind of build, and I already have the forced run analog stick worked out.

As for the rest - no, I have absolutely no desire to go back to runes and runewords. I could see set bonuses using some reform (maybe going to a 2/3/4 setup instead of 2/4/6, or making it so that every set has 7 pieces) - but beyond that, I think the current routes of farming, gambling and upgrading are sufficient, especially once the next patch adds multiple souls from ancient and primal items.
    I dunno, I'd want Runes to be etched into gems via a tab at the Jeweler. Teach Shen the recipes as they drop from act bounty caches, Slap the right number of flawless royal gems in your Ancient Aquila Cuirass, etch each with the right rune, bam, the Ancient Aquila Cuirass is now your Tal Rasha chestpiece. Less RNG screw, no duping runes for hours to make one word, makes sets more available, and the increased combinations possible should encourage Blizzard to rein in the moonmath that results in half a trillion burst damage.

Doing a 2/3/4 setup would also be nice, too, but I just don't like how the logic behind sets is structured.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't referring to a channeled build at all.
    Yeah, I'd been trying to make both a Blades and a channel build work, but my primary focus was on channeling and... yeah... the numbers just aren't there no matter how you slice it. I don't know why Tal 6pc does so much more than Delsere's, I mean, I get Manald doesn't benefit from it, but... you'd think the numbers would be comparable, they just... aren't. The damage was so low I wondered if D3 planner was modeling Delsere's wrong until I actually tried it.

I'll have to look closer at the orb build and get a better understanding of how the damage stacking works.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #839

I have no problem with the popularity, it's just I spend time setting up my hotbar and getting the class to play the way I'd like, and then the archon button says "nope" like Tarquin's mask.
    Maybe I don't mind because Archon's setup mirrors my own. For example, my teleport is on 3 whether in Archon or outside it. So I never find myself cursing muscle memory.

There's room for experimentation, I just find so much of it falls flat. I'm getting tired of making changes and hitting things for peanuts. There's a smallish number of optimal solutions and a massive number of suboptimals that lack enough separate multipliers just don't seem to cut it. I mean, I got my 5 pc Delsere setup together and was terribly disappointed by the results- I spaced that Manald wasn't going to get multiplied, so while the Tornados actually hit decently, (at least, sometimes) everything else hit like a fresh 70.

Right now my Blades build is doing a reasonable job thanks to everyone here, I still need to work out how to replace a few pieces and level a Gogok of Swiftness to replace Iceblink. (I have no better shoulder piece, for example, and that orb finds itself somewhat south of ideal.) I also need to practice getting out of Floor vomit, because I still struggle with that.

Kinda tempted to try setting up the steam controller to take advantage of that build, since it isn't exactly a "click on things" kind of build, and I already have the forced run analog stick worked out.
    I think you still might be doing something wrong then, because DMO Blades can definitely clear into the 80s. It uses the Barrier Blades rune which also gets a boost from Blood Bracer and stacks with Deflection.

May I ask why Gogok? You aren't running anything with a cooldown on it. Explosive Blast maybe, but with Woh + Chain Reaction the cooldown should be up right at the time the explosions stop anyway. For that matter, why Twister when you've dropped Twisted Sword? I'd definitely drop Ranslor for Blood Bracer now.

EDIT: Also, now that you're running Explosive Blast and Blades, you should drop Unwavering Will for Audacity.

I dunno, I'd want Runes to be etched into gems via a tab at the Jeweler. Teach Shen the recipes as they drop from act bounty caches, Slap the right number of flawless royal gems in your Ancient Aquila Cuirass, etch each with the right rune, bam, the Ancient Aquila Cuirass is now your Tal Rasha chestpiece. Less RNG screw, no duping runes for hours to make one word, makes sets more available, and the increased combinations possible should encourage Blizzard to rein in the moonmath that results in half a trillion burst damage.

Doing a 2/3/4 setup would also be nice, too, but I just don't like how the logic behind sets is structured.
    Hrm. Runes being craftable might work. I guess I'd have to see it in action.

Yeah, I'd been trying to make both a Blades and a channel build work, but my primary focus was on channeling and... yeah... the numbers just aren't there no matter how you slice it. I don't know why Tal 6pc does so much more than Delsere's, I mean, I get Manald doesn't benefit from it, but... you'd think the numbers would be comparable, they just... aren't. The damage was so low I wondered if D3 planner was modeling Delsere's wrong until I actually tried it.

I'll have to look closer at the orb build and get a better understanding of how the damage stacking works.
    Delsere is indeed weaker than Tals at the moment, which is why it's getting buffed next patch. But for where you're/we're at (60s-70s) it shouldn't matter as much anyway.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-03-03 at 09:23 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #840

I think you still might be doing something wrong then, because DMO Blades can definitely clear into the 80s. It uses the Barrier Blades rune which also gets a boost from Blood Bracer and stacks with Deflection.
    It looks like DMO Blades uses Arcane Orb as it's centerpin. Hmm, the Hydra's arcane orbs don't get multiplied, correct? *looks at Theo and Tasker gloves and the 2 Hydra staff with a hrm*

Actually, I'm really looking forward to trying to find a way to sneak in those next patch, regardless, seeing as how Hydra will proc Manald. (is that without paralysis?)

May I ask why Gogok? You aren't running anything with a cooldown on it. Explosive Blast maybe, but with Woh + Chain Reaction the cooldown should be up right at the time the explosions stop anyway. For that matter, why Twister when you've dropped Twisted Sword? I'd definitely drop Ranslor for Blood Bracer now.

EDIT: Also, now that you're running Explosive Blast and Blades, you should drop Unwavering Will for Audacity.
    Good call on Audacity, at least on d3planner that's a spike. As to Gogok... I was just flipping through gems in D3planner and clicking simulate for the results, Gogok's haste by itself seemed to be a nice damage spike. As an outside thought from this morning... perhaps the CD reduction on explosive blast would make the cold rune option more viable? (It actually applies chill and freeze to mobs, which I've never seen Twister do without iceblink...)

Also, I have no decent Ashnagarr's bracers, so if I use it it's in the cube, I have two I intend to reroll, but in turning the Orb of infinite depth ancient last night and reforging stats I ran out of Forgotten Souls. I still like the hoover effect that the folly gives, tho', that's really nice for exploding blast. Decisions, decisions.

Delsere is indeed weaker than Tals at the moment, which is why it's getting buffed next patch. But for where you're/we're at (60s-70s) it shouldn't matter as much anyway.
    Hmm... looking at the PTR changes list, did they remove the restriction that the only spells boosted are the same that drop the Slow time CD, or is that just lazy patchnote writing? Because I really liked the DMO defensive properties, especially muxed with Woh and Ashnagarr's... but unless they open up the spread of viable spells, I don't see it working very well for anything but the orb build it already works with.
    My Homebrew