New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Diablo III:3 Kanai Fix It?

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    I know there's an item that gives you the effect of every rune on Frenzy, if you don't mind using that instead of Bash (I forget what the item is, but I know that my barb has it because I switched to Frenzy for my builder after acquiring it). As I recall, I'm currently using Frenzy, Rend, Ground Stomp, Avalanche, Earthquake, and Threatening Shout (I also have the item that pops Earthquake + Avalanche whenever I hit Threatening Shout). I have a full Might of Earth set that's sitting in my stash because I scored an early Litany + Wail set, and I'm sporting 5 ancients atm. I've barely played this season; I'm only about P100 and don't have many good Cube options.

But anyway, I would expect a similar setup with Focus + Restraint to be viable at least through middling torment.
    It's a belt, don't recall the name.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

Devil

Undisputed Champion, I think. I can't comment on it's efficacy, as I've yet to even create a Barbarian character. I'm thinking of doing it myself, kind of like the idea of a ranged build.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Undisputed Champion, I think. I can't comment on it's efficacy, as I've yet to even create a Barbarian character. I'm thinking of doing it myself, kind of like the idea of a ranged build.
    I have a ranged barb that was doing quite well even before the huge buffs to MoE. I'll have to fire him up again and see how he's doing now (after I get my DH where I want her to be.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

Devil

So, I settled on a Wizard. Already kind of regretting it, the VA is quite annoying, so might just finish levelling my Gem of Ease and rustle myself up a Barbarian and go farming that way, because after checking, the Lidless Wonder is a normal shield, which might make bit easier to gamble on with a Barbarian. Also have a pair of Hearts of Iron, going to start farming mats to try and reroll one into Ancient, and the same with my LoN set.

In regards to my attempt for an LoN build, I'm going to have an attempt at levelling some gems a bit more. I've cleared GR50 (although died like 4 times, not to mention numerous 'saves' thanks to Indestructible passive and Akarat's Champion Prophet.).

I've picked up a Bovine Bardiche (ironically, ancient), and apparently, that is something I can use to get Avarice with by cubing a portal. I do now have a Swiftmount, however, now, which might make going for a T9 Corvus Ruins a viable option. (although I've got maybe 2500% gold find, but that's not including my Goldskin, some workgoing into gold find on my Follower (I have an immune to death Legendary now)). Swap Bane of the Stricken for Trapped (Thunderfury and Wyrdward on Templar), and Mutilation Guard for Boon of the Hoarder (L35).

Still not yet able to make a 5 minute T9 Grift, let alone 4 minute TX, even with Swiftmount. Considering swapping Rubies for Diamonds, but I lack killing speed to make the time.

Can you append more than one type of Caldesanns recipe to an Item? Ie increase Str AND Vit?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

So, I settled on a Wizard. Already kind of regretting it, the VA is quite annoying, so might just finish levelling my Gem of Ease and rustle myself up a Barbarian and go farming that way, because after checking, the Lidless Wonder is a normal shield, which might make bit easier to gamble on with a Barbarian. Also have a pair of Hearts of Iron, going to start farming mats to try and reroll one into Ancient, and the same with my LoN set.

In regards to my attempt for an LoN build, I'm going to have an attempt at levelling some gems a bit more. I've cleared GR50 (although died like 4 times, not to mention numerous 'saves' thanks to Indestructible passive and Akarat's Champion Prophet.).

I've picked up a Bovine Bardiche (ironically, ancient), and apparently, that is something I can use to get Avarice with by cubing a portal. I do now have a Swiftmount, however, now, which might make going for a T9 Corvus Ruins a viable option. (although I've got maybe 2500% gold find, but that's not including my Goldskin, some workgoing into gold find on my Follower (I have an immune to death Legendary now)). Swap Bane of the Stricken for Trapped (Thunderfury and Wyrdward on Templar), and Mutilation Guard for Boon of the Hoarder (L35).

Still not yet able to make a 5 minute T9 Grift, let alone 4 minute TX, even with Swiftmount. Considering swapping Rubies for Diamonds, but I lack killing speed to make the time.

Can you append more than one type of Caldesanns recipe to an Item? Ie increase Str AND Vit?
    Bovine bardiche is avarice via boon of the hoarder, which is quite comfortable with a max level boon, not sure about lower level but should be fine. Caldesann's is most recent only- applying a second to an item will overwrite the old one, IIRC.

6. - Top - End - #126

Wizard is actually my favorite VA - especially the male one, he's such a smug arse

Given how cheap armor is to get via shards, I'd recommend going that route personally, and save your reroll mats for the more expensive things (weapons, rings and amulets). In the time it takes you to amass the 100 souls and 10 of each bounty mat for just two rerolls, you should be able to get thousands of shards from rifts or grifts. Then just gamble chests like crazy, preferably on a crusader. You can even upgrade the yellow chests you'll be getting using the regular mats you'll be getting as byproducts from said shard farming.

I've picked up a Bovine Bardiche (ironically, ancient), and apparently, that is something I can use to get Avarice with by cubing a portal.
    Does this really work? My understanding was that Avarice cannot be obtained within the Cow Level or Vault. It'd be a lot easier if one of those was wrong.

Are you talking about the season journey? The time limit objectives are for regular rifts, not GRfits, which means your best bet is joining public games until you land one with uber-elite players farming extra mats or land one with bots in it (same thing.) You'll get TX under 3 minutes while barely lifting a finger.

No, it's one per item.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2016-03-21 at 08:50 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

My wife hated the stuff they say so we've had the voice volume turned down for a while now, I thought they were fairly annoying much of the time but didn't care that much.

Kids have a puzzle ring and bovine bardiche, so when they level out of those we can steal them for the cube.

My power jumped crazily over the weekend. My sheet numbers actually went down but my effective power is outstanding. Got RoRG in the cube, got Natalya's crossbow and another piece, though I've not actually finding much of a chance to use rain of vengeance before everything is dead. The main thing though is that I got the 6th piece bonus for Marauders and the bombardiers rucksack and everything is just being mowed down. Nothing like a cursed chest surrounded by 5 sentries with multi-shot going out. Also found the chest piece that gives 2 extra wolves, cubed that so now I have 3 wolves, boar, 2 ferrets, spider, bat, and raven; and with Zoey's Secret I've got some amazing survivability, which was the primary reason I took the extra wolves. But I'm finding my pack of animals will kill elites almost as fast as they can get to them, we've had times were they take out the key wardens and some other purple elites before I even get to take a shot. That is all at T5, I know we can do more but not everyone is ready to move up in difficulty.

My thought just this morning, so haven't had a chance to try it, is that I got a calamity drop and cubed it, if I put the Marked for Death skill up with Mortal Enemy rune I should be able to easily drop my builder, maybe even the passive regen on items, and still always be full. Only question there is if my pets or sentries would also get me hatred, if they don't, I might not actually be hitting my marketed targets enough to stay full.

Since strafe didn't work with my sentries I wanted to use things that they could shoot, I started with Cluster Arrow but the hatred use was just too much, then tried impale and it was ok but still a bit high on the hatred use so I went to elemental arrow (the fact that it has a good fire rune and I have pretty good fire bonus was another reason) and it is doing well right now. I figured more shots at lower damage will probably work out better at this point, but if my Mortal Enemy/calamity thought above works well I can go up to more damage for more hatred.

I think the biggest hurdle right now is finding some more defensive options for the firebird set. Got Aquila Cuirass for the cube and that helped but I figure we have some better options out there too.

So far we've done Greater Rifts up to 31 or 33, and I think that is about t7, and they have been easy so far. I think it will be easier to push the difficulty there than in other places because it is done almost behind the scenes. Although at the start of the last one we did we had a death, just too much right at once, have to avoid those to make the case for moving up.

We've both had trouble finding anything good for bracers, not sure if it is just a weak slot or we're just unlucky. I'm also in need of some better rings and amulets, especially with gem slots.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I think the biggest hurdle right now is finding some more defensive options for the firebird set. Got Aquila Cuirass for the cube and that helped but I figure we have some better options out there too.
    I've found that Galvanic Ward + Magic Weapon(Deflection) + this bracer help your toughness a lot. This combo basically more than doubles your HP, and your other defenses (armor and resists) apply before the bonus HP too to make it effectively even higher.

The forcefield (annoyingly) won't show up on your sheet toughness, but if you hover over your health globe you'll see exactly how much bonus HP this is getting you.

So far we've done Greater Rifts up to 31 or 33, and I think that is about t7, and they have been easy so far. I think it will be easier to push the difficulty there than in other places because it is done almost behind the scenes.
    GR 33 is very close to T8.

I'd just be up front about it. If T5 is so easy that you're wiping things out before you can even fire off a RoV, and your whole family is cakewalking GR33, there is no reason to stay on T5 anywhere else. There is a point at which the clear speed from a lower difficulty doesn't make up for the loss in mf/gf for staying down there, and if you're easily clearing 2 torment levels higher, you've definitely hit it. Point that out to them and convince them to step up with you, at least to T6.

We've both had trouble finding anything good for bracers, not sure if it is just a weak slot or we're just unlucky. I'm also in need of some better rings and amulets, especially with gem slots.
    See above for a solid bracer to shoot for on any wizard players. It's also guaranteed two good stats (main stat + crit.) Rings are easy to get via gambling/upgrading, 50 shards a pop is reasonably cheap - though to farm the Breaths fast enough, you'll likely need the Sage's set somewhere in your build. Amulets are more expensive, but you have an affordable and powerful option there in the form of the Hellfire Amulet, which is guaranteed a gem socket and main stat. Just make going after the keywardens part of your routine while you run bounties and you'll be all set before you know it.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2016-03-21 at 11:06 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, so by shields that bracer means the ability shields rather than the items, I'm not sure if we've seen that one either way though.

And to make sure, Magic Weapon increases the base damage of the weapon by 10%, so that every single attack you make, which are all based on weapon damage, is going to see that 10% increase? So it will be multiplied out by everything else. And with Deflection, or any of the other ruins, it counts for every type of attack you do? From magic missile to disintegrate and black hole? If that is the case then I didn't know that was how it worked, not that I have specifically looked over the wizard skills that closely.

I had a hellfire amulet but it didn't roll that great, right now I have Countess Julia's Cameo, which is pretty good, though I think of those types The Star of Azkaranth would be better, seem to see a lot more fire than arcane being thrown about. I think the Traveler's Pledge is probably my best choice, especially if I get away from any regen skills, as the focus/restraint isn't as good then. She is running those rings (pulled both pretty close to each other) but I don't know if she watches her stacks close enough to get the most use out of them.
    I didn't realize Natalya's had a ring, I need to find that, that and the Pledge/Rose would be close to ideal.

Reaper's Wraps really has 8 magic properties? I didn't notice that before when I made them, probably the best option for a DH then.

Along the same lines, are sockets really rare on rings and amulets? I've tried to reroll a socket on one, the list has it shown as an option, but I used all my souls and never had one roll.

Also for DH specifically, I thought all chest pieces could get hatred regen? I tried to reroll one and none of the slots showed that as an option. I don't remember if it was Natalya's or marauder's, I know one had hatred regen and I switched to the other and it won't show it as an option.

Kids aren't running with anything hard yet, they haven't unlocked Torment yet as they don't stick around that long and we started them new characters with the PS4. I wasn't sure if they could enter GRifts with us or not, and since they are timed and it can be hard to keep the kids moving (like herding cats) we haven't tried yet. I'm sure we could get them to 70 in no time if we could run some harder stuff with them.

I would have upped the difficulty several times already if it was up to me, I'm working on convincing them but it is slow. I think if I can say "even though the difficulty was set at Torment 5, that GRift we just ran was the same as Torment 8" I might be able to, but I'm not totally sure that is the case yet (though it seems to be).

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Also for DH specifically, I thought all chest pieces could get hatred regen? I tried to reroll one and none of the slots showed that as an option. I don't remember if it was Natalya's or marauder's, I know one had hatred regen and I switched to the other and it won't show it as an option.
    It's just capes that can roll Hatred regen, iirc; note that Natalya's is a Cape, whereas Marauder's is Chest Armor.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

11. - Top - End - #131

Ah, so by shields that bracer means the ability shields rather than the items, I'm not sure if we've seen that one either way though.

And to make sure, Magic Weapon increases the base damage of the weapon by 10%, so that every single attack you make, which are all based on weapon damage, is going to see that 10% increase? So it will be multiplied out by everything else. And with Deflection, or any of the other ruins, it counts for every type of attack you do? From magic missile to disintegrate and black hole? If that is the case then I didn't know that was how it worked, not that I have specifically looked over the wizard skills that closely.
    It's additive actually, but otherwise correct. What's more important though is the barrier component - every attack will give you more barriers, which stack higher based on how fast you attack (works especially well with channeled skills like disintegrate), which effectively works out to a buttload of life on hit that can exceed your maximum HP - great for a ranged class capable of engaging enemies before they get close enough to return fire. The Deflection shields stack with Galvanic Ward too, and the entire thing gets doubled by blood bracer. End result, you'll be surviving on TX fairly easily, especially if you're good at kiting elites around for 5 seconds so they recharge to maximum strength mid-fight.

I had a hellfire amulet but it didn't roll that great, right now I have Countess Julia's Cameo, which is pretty good, though I think of those types The Star of Azkaranth would be better, seem to see a lot more fire than arcane being thrown about.
    It's all about what kills you most. Fire is very common (traps, molten, mortar, fire chains, those demons that run up and breathe on you) but it's also pretty easy to avoid. Cold is also easy to avoid, but failing to do so can get you stuck and killed just as easily. Lightning is easy to avoid for ranged classes and harder for melee classes (Thunderstorm, Orbiter, Lightning Enchanted.) Poison and Arcane are very hard to avoid. Note that arcane enchanted enemies deal arcane instead of physical also, so the Cameo will cause you to heal from their normal attacks too.

Along the same lines, are sockets really rare on rings and amulets? I've tried to reroll a socket on one, the list has it shown as an option, but I used all my souls and never had one roll.
    Nah, it's just bad luck. Socket is the same probability as anything else afaik. I've gotten sockets on the first reroll plenty of times.

What Derjuin said - but you shouldn't really be aiming for hatred regen from gear imo, it's a wasted stat. Hatred issues are solved at a more fundamental level, like Preparation/Bat/Vengeance + OROTZ, or by using a generator.

Kids aren't running with anything hard yet, they haven't unlocked Torment yet as they don't stick around that long and we started them new characters with the PS4. I wasn't sure if they could enter GRifts with us or not, and since they are timed and it can be hard to keep the kids moving (like herding cats) we haven't tried yet. I'm sure we could get them to 70 in no time if we could run some harder stuff with them.

I would have upped the difficulty several times already if it was up to me, I'm working on convincing them but it is slow. I think if I can say "even though the difficulty was set at Torment 5, that GRift we just ran was the same as Torment 8" I might be able to, but I'm not totally sure that is the case yet (though it seems to be).
    35 is T8, so run one of those successfully and then try making your case. Good luck!
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #132
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Does this really work? My understanding was that Avarice cannot be obtained within the Cow Level or Vault. It'd be a lot easier if one of those was wrong.
    Definitely, it's how I got mine when it refused to give me any gilded barons. Doesn't work in the vault, but not the cow level is fair game.
    Last edited by Istarial; 2016-03-21 at 04:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Is that just "get a certain amount of gold in a certain period of time", or what?
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    Is that just "get a certain amount of gold in a certain period of time", or what?
    You can keep it going for a while. It is the gold picked up streak thing. So if you don't pick up any gold in like 2-5? seconds it resets the gold streak.

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Istarial View Post
    Definitely, it's how I got mine when it refused to give me any gilded barons. Doesn't work in the vault, but not the cow level is fair game.
    That's great to know because the Conquest itself says you can't get it this way. So either it's a bug or Blizzard is just sadistically warning people off the easy way of getting it. (Probably both!)

I found a rather hilariously easy way of getting it too. Of course, if I had the stash space to use this method, I wouldn't need the damn stash tab to begin with, but at least on season my stash is emptier.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

It actually only says "Outside of The Vault and the Inner Sanctum". Nothing mentioned about the cow level.
    English is not my first language, but feel free to correct me.

Character sheets:
    Telim, Wilton, Aron and Eric

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dada View Post
    It actually only says "Outside of The Vault and the Inner Sanctum". Nothing mentioned about the cow level.
    Yeah the Vault is the area before the inner sanctum. So both areas are part of the goblin area.

18. - Top - End - #138

My bad then, looks like I misread. That would've made my conquest a lot simpler

I think I'll go with the bounty bags approach anyway though, just so I have a ton of reroll mats waiting when the season ends.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

So what source do you use to know how each skill/passive/items damage is calculated in? As in how do you know when it is added, and when it is multiplied and at what stage in the calculations?

Marked for Death is 20% increased damage, I assume since this is done on the enemy side rather than the weapon calculation side it would have to be multiplicative, and it would be really hard to beat a straight up 20% damage increase. I also assume this applies to everyone's attacks and not just my own?

And are pets considered "you" in terms of skill/rune/passive activation? Will you get life on hit or kill if the pet does the killing? Will I get hatred regen from Mortal Enemy rune on Marked for Death? I know there are many other legendary affixes and skills where the question will also come up.

Also I see there are indications of when pets die, or that they can't die, and they get healed from globes, is their damage reduction unique to them or mirrored off your own? I don't think I've ever seen one die, is there any obvious indication when they do? (a group fighting molten elites I'm sure would end up getting some of them blasted but I've never actually noticed one dying. )

20. - Top - End - #140
    Barbarian in the Playground

So what source do you use to know how each skill/passive/items damage is calculated in? As in how do you know when it is added, and when it is multiplied and at what stage in the calculations?

Marked for Death is 20% increased damage, I assume since this is done on the enemy side rather than the weapon calculation side it would have to be multiplicative, and it would be really hard to beat a straight up 20% damage increase. I also assume this applies to everyone's attacks and not just my own?

And are pets considered "you" in terms of skill/rune/passive activation? Will you get life on hit or kill if the pet does the killing? Will I get hatred regen from Mortal Enemy rune on Marked for Death? I know there are many other legendary affixes and skills where the question will also come up.

Also I see there are indications of when pets die, or that they can't die, and they get healed from globes, is their damage reduction unique to them or mirrored off your own? I don't think I've ever seen one die, is there any obvious indication when they do? (a group fighting molten elites I'm sure would end up getting some of them blasted but I've never actually noticed one dying. )
    I believe that http://www.d3planner.com/ is one of the better places to work out that sort of thing.
    Fantastic avatar by Akrim.elf.

21. - Top - End - #141

As Snowman mentioned we use d3planner to estimate the effects of such things; it's even more accurate than the Battle.Net sheet damage and sheet dps estimates, though still not perfect. As we mentioned upthread though, on console you will have to reconstruct your gear by hand if you want the best read. (Honestly, it sucks - but it shouldn't take you too much time and could provide a lot of helpful info. You can then save that once you're done and just update it for minor changes.)

Generally yes - pets are one of your skills just like any other skill you'd kill things with, so they count as "you" for on-hit and on-kill effects.

Pet toughness is based on yours, so if you're at a higher difficulty where a single hit will drop you then the monsters will chew through your pets quickly too. (That's Blizzard's goal anyway - I haven't tried a pet build above TX yet, so I haven't put that into practice.) There are also ways to make pets tougher than they otherwise would be, notably the Enforcer legendary gem.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

As Snowman mentioned we use d3planner to estimate the effects of such things; it's even more accurate than the Battle.Net sheet damage and sheet dps estimates, though still not perfect. As we mentioned upthread though, on console you will have to reconstruct your gear by hand if you want the best read. (Honestly, it sucks - but it shouldn't take you too much time and could provide a lot of helpful info. You can then save that once you're done and just update it for minor changes.)

Generally yes - pets are one of your skills just like any other skill you'd kill things with, so they count as "you" for on-hit and on-kill effects.

Pet toughness is based on yours, so if you're at a higher difficulty where a single hit will drop you then the monsters will chew through your pets quickly too. (That's Blizzard's goal anyway - I haven't tried a pet build above TX yet, so I haven't put that into practice.) There are also ways to make pets tougher than they otherwise would be, notably the Enforcer legendary gem.
    At least with Zuni's, my pets are so freakin' beefy it's ridiculous. And my WD... is not. I've seen the fetishes shrug off a molten pack exploding mostly simultaneously on TX and that would absolutely fry the WD. I don't think you benefit from life on hit from pet attacks.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Pets only take about 1% of the damage dealt by attacks that are intended to be dodged, like molten explosions, arcane sentries, frozen icesplosions, etc. Basically things that require precise movement and are supposed to force players to move a specific way, deal much less damage to pets because pets dgaf.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

I wasn't sure how life on hit would work, it just seems like it would be a bit off if I was getting it for 9 pets, and if they counted as well, 5 sentries. Especially if those sentries were shooting multi-shot and hitting dozens of monsters each.

Although I wasn't so much worried about life per hit as I was hatred regen from mortal enemy on Marked for Death. It is hard to test right now since most things don't even get the mark before they die but maybe I'll get some stronger stuff soon. Of course I also don't think the pets/sentries will put the mark out even though it (calamity) is in the cube, so I assume in that specific case it is only attacks from my weapon (though I guess things like grenades and throwing knifes aren't technically coming from my bow anyway).

As for d3planner, I'm hoping to get some pics of the characters to save but the wife rolls her eyes whenever I talk about anything like that so I don't get much of a chance of actually getting the data. Although for what I'm wanting right now I could probably find any random firebird set build and play around with the skills and see what it does, not specifically looking for how much changing one specific thing will do for her, just how things interact, so I can get a better idea on the fly about what to recommend.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

There is (was?) a rune for Zombie Dogs that caused them to trigger your Life On Hit, while none of the other runes/pets do(did?) [though in Vanilla, the Big Stinker and Burning Dog auras did...]

Also for a few patches, pets could apply Pain Enhancer and Effecacious Toxin, but not the holy or lightning gems.

#consistency
    Campaign Log (updated May 12, 2016)! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...d-other-tales)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

When I was running my WD, my zombie dogs died all the time. And then one day I found a Tall Man's Finger. I've never seen the Superdog go down.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

27. - Top - End - #147

As for d3planner, I'm hoping to get some pics of the characters to save but the wife rolls her eyes whenever I talk about anything like that so I don't get much of a chance of actually getting the data. Although for what I'm wanting right now I could probably find any random firebird set build and play around with the skills and see what it does, not specifically looking for how much changing one specific thing will do for her, just how things interact, so I can get a better idea on the fly about what to recommend.
    Since we can't see what your wife is wearing (heh heh heh), here's some general rerolling advice - main stats to shoot for by slot. If your item has an off-stat or stats, prioritize rerolling those to one of the ones below.

Spoiler
    Show
    General Advice 1: Get main stat on all items, it boosts both damage and toughness so it's good to have all around. It also gets a big boost for the item being ancient.

General Advice 2: You want offensive stats (% damage, crit %, crit damage, attack speed, % area damage, and possibly cooldown) on as many slots as possible. This is because there are several slots that can only have defensive stats, and you require insanely lucky rolls to maximize offense everywhere, so keeping that balance means going offensive wherever you can. Offense is good for defense too - the faster things die, the less damage you'll take. Typically, you want just enough toughness that you occasionally need to use a potion to save yourself, but aren't dying, and everything else into offense so you can clear as quickly as possible.

General Advice 3: I've ordered the stats per item from most to least desirable but take this with a grain of salt. The best stats for each slot vary a lot based on your build, what the other stats on that piece rolled, what the other stats on all your other pieces rolled etc.

*All slots:* Main Stat (see above)
    Head: Socket, Crit %, Armor2, All Resists2, Vitality3, Life %3
    Shoulders: Area Damage1, Armor2, All Resists2, Vitality3, Life %3, Skill Damage1, Cooldown Reduction1
    Gloves: Crit Damage, Crit %, Attack Speed %, Area Damage1, Armor2, All Resists2, Vitality3, Cooldown Reduction1
    Bracers: Crit %, Elemental %1, Armor2, All Resists2, Vitality3
    Torso: 3x Sockets, Armor2, All Resists2, Vitality3, Life %3, Skill Damage1
    Belt: Armor2, All Resists2, Vitality3, Life %3, Primary Skill Damage1
    Pants: 3x Sockets, Armor2, All Resists2 Vitality3, Life %3, Primary Skill Damage1
    Feet: Armor2, All Resists2, Vitality3, Skill Damage1
    Rings: Socket, Crit Damage, Crit %, Attack Speed %, Average Damage, Area Damage, Armor2, All Resists2, Vitality3, Life %3, Cooldown Reduction1
    Amulet: Socket, Crit Damage, Crit %, Elemental %1, Attack Speed %, Average Damage, Area Damage, Armor2, All Resists2, Vitality3, Life %3, Cooldown Reduction1
    Weapon: Socket, Damage %, Attack Speed %, Area Damage, Elite Damage %, Vitality
    Offhand: Average Damage, Crit %, Area Damage, Cooldown Reduction1, Armor2, All Resists2, Vitality3, Life %3
    Shield: As Offhand, but also Block %1

1Some stats are build-dependent. For builds whose damage comes almost all from a single skill (e.g. Blessed Hammer on a Hammersader), you want +skill damage for that skill on as many pieces as possible, and its priority goes up. For builds whose skills don't all share the same element, that stat ceases to matter as much and the priority goes down. For builds with heavy reliance on cooldowns, you want that on enough pieces to maintain 100% or nearly 100% uptime on those things, and CDR's priority goes up. For builds that focus on dealing a large amount of damage to a smaller number of targets (e.g. Demon Hunter Shadow set), area damage increases in value and that stat goes up. (Area Damage is solid in general, minus a few builds.) Conversely, if a build doesn't use any of something, that should be your first stat to throw out - builds with no primary skills should not have that on their belt and pants, builds with no cooldowns need that stat off their shoulders and gloves etc.

2Whether Armor or All Resist is more valuable depends on how much you're natively getting from your main stat. Wizards and Witch Doctors get all resists from Intelligence as that is their main stat, so for them, Armor is slightly more valuable. The other 4 classes get Armor from their main stat (and even more from a shield, in the case of the Crusader) - so for those classes, all resist is more valuable. This is a general rule though - as one gets much higher than the other its benefit decreases, so be sure to keep them as close together as you can manage. All Resist also has a disadvantage - if a piece rolls with it, it cannot also roll a secondary resist stat, so armor gains a slight edge for that reason.

3While vit/life is never a bad stat (i.e. it always helps unless your difficulty is too low), in most cases other forms of mitigation are better. This is because all life does is let you take more hits before dying - armor and resists do the same thing, but they do it by reducing the damage you take, which means that they boost the impact of your recovery too. As a basic example - if one guy has 1,000,000 life and 1,000 life per second but 0% DR from armor and resists, while the other guy has 500,000 life but 50% DR from armor and resists and the exact same life per second, then in game terms they have the same toughness, but the second guy will effectively have twice as much healing.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

This is a general rule though - as one gets much higher than the other its benefit decreases, so be sure to keep them as close together as you can manage.
    As a follow up: Armor and Resistances work on a similar formula; for "optimal" mitigation levels, you want a 10:1 ratio on armor to resistance. The balance being out of whack is fine, but be aware that after a certain point you want more armor than resists or vice versa.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

Devil

Season 6 now available on the PTR; Source

30. - Top - End - #150

Season 6 now available on the PTR; Source
    Wow, that was quick. Glad I got my stash tab...

I'm looking forward to getting the next one now! My new one is already half-full and that's not including all the clutter in my seasonal stash
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy