New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: The Eternal Winter IC

Before parting ways and going to St Cuthbert Church Humbert speaks with Rosalind My sister, don't let the pain of a loss make you lose your faith. Time catches us all, and we can only pray to have a life like the one he's had. Here, he will be remembered. There in halls of the Sun, he will find glory. Then he lits a candle and donates 2gp.
    I must go now.

The chill doesn't really bother him, his planetouched nature allows him to take it in.
    The fortified Church of St Cuthbert represents everything he dislikes about religion.
    The unnecesary secrecy, the rigid hierarchy that some like to justify as law. the supreme Law is justice, and that comes from within. It's not that i don't appreciate the beauty of the tapestry or the glorious history... but the spirit of a faith is in the solace it gives to believers...
    The sight of the inquisitor on her full attire takes Humbert out of his mental wanderings.
    He bows and listens her salute.
    Spoiler: Check
    Show
    I really don't know what kind of planetouched she is so i roll Knowledge The Planes (1d20+6)[22]

She sounds dissapointed...
    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Was she really expecting other members? (1d20+6)[19]

Well, none of the order is with me. In fact I haven't seen any of them in almost a year and the letter you sent found me by chance, or by providence just as I was about to come to Justcrown myself. It only seems like the right time

The urgency of the letter and the uncertain means of deliver speak volumes about her problems.
    Humbert gestures to a chair in front of her politely asking to be seated.

The unatural weather, the dissapearances of children... this much I already know, and thus I can start to imagine the extent of your distress. How can I be of any help to you High Inquisitor? And why in the name of the order? Do you suspect perhaps the unnatural weather is due to extraplanar intervention? An incursion from the elemental planes? The sorcerers of Iuz tampering again with the elemental forces?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aenar holds up a hand to signal his friends to wait, and focuses on the thread of magic linking him to Xander.

Acknowledged. I shall join you shortly. I would also welcome your expertise regarding a strange sighting this morning."

With an apologetic grimace, he rises from the table.

"Duty calls, I fear. Let me know if you need any help regarding this stranger. We'll have to finish this another time."

So saying, he goes to find this Dietrich, diverting to his room first to arm and armour himself - just in case this sighting heralded an attack.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

As Johann gets inside the school he stop and blink, his smile frozen over his face.

He look at the elven trying to fit the childish desk but givr him just a nod and, once he leaves, Johann look at Silas.

"I'm sorry my friend. This cold numbed my hyperactive brain for sure. Anyway, Justcrown is all messed, isnt? Maybe I can help you somehow. Left Hamalthan to the birds of prey: the king was gone and some wannabe dictator is taking control. Too much control! Do you believe I was charged for painting outdoors?", he says as his face still leep the same frozen expression, but now he's just holding it for fun sake, " xcuse me, may I see your artist license?", he imitates the guard with a dumb voice, "My favourite places were shut down, even the Mare was having difficult! He was also keeping a close eye to Cassandra's place. That was it! I decided to ride to find some friendlu warmth, but found this icy reception", he looks to him, " C'mon man, give me a hug".

Johann stands with arms and the frozen smile in his face, snow begining to melt from his goatee.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2016-02-26 at 06:38 AM.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Adalyse had always known that her selection of body had been a good choice. This unnatural cold only confirmed her judgment. As she approached her friend, she brushed cobwebs from her shoulder. Despite having no feeling, the connection to the body was real enough and her desire to remain clean had never left. Some habits never die. If the blank mask could show emotion, she would have smiled at seeing her old friend.

"It's been too long, Ellinka." She listened to the being even more ancient than herself speak. A hollow chuckle echoed in the helm at the mention of the Inquisitor. "I doubt I'd find a pile of ash here, unless it were hers. You've survived much greater things than some young, overzealous cleric."

Her arms folded across the breastplate of her armored body with a thud. "I had assumed the whispers were about you..." Despite having no expressions, her voice inflection showed a touch of nerves. She couldn't help but feel unprepared. She hadn't felt that way since the first time she had battled against the combined forces of the Pelorites and Cuthbertines.

"So if not you, who? It does not bode well for us if this one goes rogue and brings a crusade to our doors." Of course Adalyse realized that she had done just that to Ellinka so many years ago, but that didn't matter now.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Dietrich watched as the mage disappeared into thin air. Fancy, he thought to himself. He turned the scrap of parchment over in his hand, An address, but no way of knowing how to get there. Hmmm. Placing the wine glass back on the table, he scanned the contents of the room for any local maps that might help him find his way. The few books and rolls of parchment in the room were to no avail, either showing the Duke's lineage or talking about it.

Returning the last dusty tome he scanned to the shelf, he decided to retrieve his gear. It would surely be an odd sight for a foreigner to be wandering the streets of a town in armor, but he knew how hot it got under all that mithral and hoped that it would provide even the slightest bit of warmth against this ice. He set off out of the room and down the ornate hallway. First my things, then to find anyone who can get me to this address.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thellin looks carefully at the leaves. At least they might be a hint of what is happening here.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Knowledge Nature: (1d20+22)[38]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Hissek Ren

Hissek sighed as Gerard wandered off. That was not nearly as helpful as he'd hoped, and he was not looking forwards to trying to track down a druid through the woods, especially when it seemed like the druid in question didn't want to be found. Well, that was something to think on for the morrow, not tonight. Now was a time to think about lamb chops, as well as the people who kept glancing over at him. Seeing yet another person who appeared to be a druid as well was certainly a shock, although not as much of a shock as seeing a Nymph inside a city. Finishing his meal he passed the bones to Nibbles, then instructed him to stay under the table and out of trouble before walking over to the strange group of people who had been interested in him. "Hello, good folks. Is there something I can assist with? I notice you seemed to be quite interested in me and my companion."
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

@Humbert: Rosalind looks at old Father Wilhelm as he starts making his way upstairs to his room and smiles.

"I will take your words to heart, Humbert. I honestly am not ready to take on his mantle... be safe.""

Once at the Cuthbertine Fortress, you look at Inquisitor Kalypsia and try and discern what race she may be long, since a human, she clearly is not.

Kalypsia Gastin is a zenythri. If aasimars are descendants of a long line of Celestial family, zenythris can trace their own lineage to a being of the realms of Order and Law.

Zenythri's are called zealots by many, but those who get to know them can vouch for them being quite level headed and reasonable. Still, many do take the role of Law enforcers whenever they can.

Kalypsia invites you to take a seat and paces around the room in her heavy metal boots, her cape doing its best to follow her wielder as she rubs her purple chin in thought and not a small amount of despair.

"I was under the assumption that you would know where Gabriela and the others are, Humbert Gaula. I have Sent for them, but the last message from any of them was that they were headed to the City of Power, reasons unknown..""

Justcrown's High Inquisitor takes a seat behind the mahogany desk as the frost outside batters the enormous window, thankfully locked from inside.

"Disappearing people are a tragedy, yes. And I will make sure the one responsible for this is arrested duly and effectively, however...""

Kalypsia looks behind her at the window as she gets up from her desk and heads towards the door leading outside.

"I have reasons to believe that the origin of this weather may be Extraplanar in origin, Humbert. I cannot leave this duchy. My job is to protect it, but there is one that came with me here that may be of assistance, since those able to deal with the problem right now are just you and me. I will need you to come with me to the catacombs.""

@Adalyse: Ellinka stands up from the rubble she was sitting on and walks towards you, running her ancient hand across your faceless mask.

"A lot more ancient but not as clever. I am certain questions arise about why you never take off the armor? Right now, with this weather, you have a perfect excuse... and judging by the extent of this cold, you won't have to worry about making up a new one.""

Ellinka walks down the old dusty and cob web filled catacombs and passes her hand through the crypts.

"How many did we lay down to rest here, during the days of the Ironhelms? Like I said earlier... nostalgia. As for the cleric above us? I would prefer if she did not know I was down here. I rather prepare the dead for burial, not the living.""

On the matter of whispers of who the dry lich was, Ellinka turns to look at you, her bronze mask fixed on your face plate.

"There was a dry lich in Justcrown, Adalyse... but it was not me. I tried to reason with him, however... he proved to be too powerful. An aasimar in life, he hailed from the Sea of Sands, far from Justcrown and before the events of the infamous Autumn Ball Fiasco. I heard he turned several people in this duchy into his servants- salt mummies. How he made his appearance in the duchy unknown to Mathilda and Wilhelm evades me, but I know he was not working alone. Later, rumors spread that he moved to the fey Woods, where he alone threatened to turn the entire forest into a Wasteland.""

Ellinka sits back again and looks up at you.

"He went by the name of Kazym... Seneschal Kazym. A title used by rulers in the Sea of Sands. That is all I know. If we are suffering an unnatural winter, clearly Kazym has been destroyed. Dry Liches are concerned with the desert, not the frost.""

@Johann: You bid Feathanil good bye and clean your goatee, making sure the ice crystals that have embedded there drop on the street before walking into the school proper.

Silas hands you a cup of hot coffee as he invites you to take a seat and listens to your complaints regarding the City of Power.

"Not too long ago, I had someone teleport from the City of Power and put me up to speed about what is transpiring there. My plan was to open a second shop in Halmathan, putting Xander in charge, but after what my friend told me, there is no way I am even considering setting foot in that city. A place filled with men of reason and power and they allow a mad man to take it all? I would spend time debating that, but right now there are more pressing matters at hand right here.""

Silas takes a sip from his mug as one of the windows opens abruptly, letting in a slush of frost and ice into the classroom as Silas rushes to the window and locks it tight.

"This winter is getting worse by the day, Johann. Xander and I may have an idea what its origin is, but we are hesitant to act against it, since we trust those in charge may be able to avert it. However... it doesn't seem to be the case. Right now, Xander has been asking for help from several people in Justcrown. Maybe together we can find out what exactly is causing this weather phenomenon.""

@Aenar: Xander does not reply to the Sending, but you know the mage- he is trustworthy and the duke considers him a wise man. Although not from the duchy, Xander shows unparalleled calm against all odds. He has yet to demonstrate how powerful he can be in the arts arcane, but if what Silas says is true, how fortunate you are to have him as an ally.

Withen and Mara bid you farewell as you get suited up and look at the mirror in the bathroom.

Dietrich from Keoland. A royal ambassador who has been staying at the duke's palazzo for a few weeks already. You have sat with him at the table along with Pottsdorff, but the man is not a royal, that much is certain.

His attire alone gives him away as a soldier, but more than just a regular conscript, Lord Dietrich seems to be quite versed in the arts of War, but not so in the more subtle touches of Diplomacy.

And maybe that's why Xander mentioned him.

The cold winds of Justcrown immediately sheathe your armor in a thin patina of ice as your heavy boots leave tracks on the foot high snow. The sun is completely invisible against the grey clouds above and visibility is becoming worse, as you can barely make an outline of the duke's palazzo and its magnificent iron gate with the symbol of the hippogryph, Justcrown's Royal emblem.

The guards, cloaked in furs, bow quickly to you and push the heavy gate aside as clumps of ice and snow fall on the ground, having settled on the emblem high above on the gate.

The poplar trees watch you walk towards the palazzo. Some have yet to be replanted, leaving snow filled craters around the lavish white garden. Whatever happened the last Autumn Ball uprooted every single tree and even a year later, Pottsdorff has yet to replant the whole area.

The great fountain is completely iced over. You recall when the duke used to host his parties here and the fountain, sculpted like a family of hippogryphs with their beaks open, gushing water around was a sight to behold.

That's when the front door opens and you see him... the Keoland Emissary, Dietrich, decked for war.

@Dietrich: You have seen mages perform similar tricks back in Keoland.

A "Blending of Time & Space", at least that's as far as your interest came when you asked one of them.

The duke's snores echo from the second floor. The man sure knows how to deal with national issues, alright.

You have a servant from the house fit you into your armor, but make sure he does not handle your blade.

The armor is of exotic make. Not one people would find familiar in this place, but its heavy, durable and should keep you warm in the bitter cold outside.

Holding the note Xander left you, you let the servants know you will be heading out for a few hours while the duke attends his royal businesses in the Land of Dreams and immediately the cold washes over your helmet and breastplate as you walk down the snow capped stairs and towards the fountain in the palazzo's garden.

You can barely make out the gate outside. The blizzard here obscures vision something fierce...

That's when you instinctively reach for your blade as you swear you hear a series of light foot steps in the snow rush at very high speeds.

One of them so close you could even reach out and hold the miscreant.

And try you do, but like the howling winds of winter, the steps are soon gone.

It's another set of heavier footsteps that cause you to take a stand...

A tall figure walks up to you, but who is he?

Then, the blizzard wanes in intensity and you breathe a sigh of relief.

Father Aenar, a pelorite from Justcrown and close friend to duke Pottsdorff. The priest welcomed you a few weeks ago upon your arrival, but when Xander took over the proceedings, he was seen now and then walking around the lavish manor.

But why is he decked for war as well?

@Feathanil: You bid adieu to silas and ask for directions from the few people left in the Justcrown Streets as you fight your way through the blizzard and take a few alleys- hopefully shortcuts to reach the duke's palazzo.

The great gate has been partially opened as one of the guards reads the letter written by Silas and looks at you.

"Very well, elf. You may come in. The duke will see you. Father Aenar came in a few minutes ago. Can't miss him.""

Humans and their manors.

So much land for a few poplar trees, all covered in a white blanket of snow. Your elven sight allows you to discern the palazzo a few yards away as you walk through the snow laden road and then your ears twitch as you look up at one of the trees.

There's a figure there. A man on... horseback? A rider on top of a tree?

You squint your eyes and then look up again, but the figure is gone. Maybe this blizzard is affecting your judgement as well.

Who you do see at ground level are a pair of very well armored men.

One carries the symbol of Pelor, the local deity here in Justcrown.

The other has a more exotic armor with an ornate helmet, both showered in frost and snow.

@Hissek: This town has no shortage of strange people.

You ask Nibbles to stay under the table and crunch on the bones left after your meal. So this Ainharil had eloped to the Fey woods... in the middle of this mad winter.

How on Oerth would you find her? Who knows how big that forest is and with snow all around, a druid could easily remain hidden and never be found, if Gerard's words are to be believed.

You walk up to the crowded table as the druid looks at a piece of paper and folds it, his expression that of shock and perhaps a little fright.

One of the cloaked men smiles and points to your table, particularly at Nibbles.

"A good evening to you. We were wondering what a fleshraker was doing all the way here in Justcrown. yes, I know about those, but they are a rare sight. Name's Tarith, by the way.""

@Thellin: This is not good. Not good at all.

What Tarith and his friends killed was a Bleak One. These creatures were once human, usually children, but not always. Bleak Ones are the result of powerful fey magic. Fey magic used by dark troubadors of the Sylvan Realms.

A Bleak One has had all joy taken away from him or her and then becomes a mindless creature under the influence of the one who drained them of all Life and Joy, but it has not been recorded that they would turn into twigs and leaves.

Someone has enough power to not only abduct children, but to replace them with copies of them, not too different from a Bogun.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2016-02-26 at 05:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

BlueKnightGuy

Diethrich's fist taps the left side of his chest, a sign of respect in his knightly order.

"Ah, Father Aenar! I was just hoping to meet with you. I did not expect to see you so equipped as well. Is everything well?", Dietrich glances around then gives the Father a rare and wry smile, "At least, besides this blighted blizzrd?"
    Last edited by Ricedaddy; 2016-02-26 at 05:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Extraplanar in origin... I wonder what can of beign can cause this upheaval with the weather. Nothing I know, but powerfull indeed.

Humbert stares blankly at the window for a second. Then rises. And Smiles slightly. The one that came with you? Your words are confusing Inquisitor, but I shall trust you. To the catacombst it is

Spoiler: Time
    Show
    What time of the day is it?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

"It does not seem coincidence to go from the threat of one extreme to the other. The nature of predators is that only one larger than the last will subsume it's domain. Even the churches have done so here. So we would be dealing with the polar opposite of your dry lich. A frozen wasteland opposed to scorched... it is still a wasteland. If he took residence within the Fey Wood, then no doubt the one that pushed him out would take up the territory." She paused for a moment, as if in thought.

"Have there been any other beings sighted lately? The dry lich had minions in it's salt mummies, I've no doubt that this new threat has preferred company as well."

Adalyse paused again. She cleared her throat, or made the sound at least, as the physical reasons no longer existed. "The worst case scenario... something more powerful than either is controlling both, looking for a weakness here. The dry lich minion was not successful, and so they've called upon another, and are no doubt prepared to call on even more still should this one be thwarted."

12. - Top - End - #42

Thellin

Thellin looks at the leaves for nearly a minute, working out the implications of dark faerie courtiers able to make such things. The possibly supernatural blizzard was already a clue, but the further relatively open use of power is disturbing. Still, he does not yet have enough information to get started. So, he needs to talk some more with these people. Perhaps they have a clear plan and have not yet showed it, or perhaps they know someone who knows more. Split between those possibilities, he speaks:

"This is more than a simple matter of taking children. You are right about the faerie connection, but this is real power here. I take it you did not just call me over to say what these leaves mean. Who needs to hear of this, or what purpose did you have in mind?"

As he speaks, he is aware that he is not communicating well, but what is done is done, and perhaps it will work out anyway.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

@Humbert: The Order of St. Augustus had been founded for just this exact purpose.

To quell Evil whenever it arose. But evil is everywhere. The Order has trained for hundreds of years to oppose Malice at a global scale. World Threatening scenarios, which, so far, you have not had the pleasure to deal with.

However it would seem that this Winter without end is one such evil. You have trained most of your life for this...

But will it be enough?

The old clock on Kalypsia's office strikes seven in the afternoon, but given the perpetual blizzard, it may as well be midnight.

"There is one that has been handed to me over generations, Humbert Gaula. I sealed him off in the catacombs for everyone's safety, but given that you and I are the only ones that can face off against this problem... I see no choice but to call him back. Follow me.""

Justcrown's High Inquisitor walks with you through the silent halls of the Cuthbertine compound and stops at a large portrait of a stern looking woman with spectacles and a her hair tied in a bun. She is dressed in black inquisitorial robes and flanked by a pair of torches.

"The late Mother Mathilda, who bequeathed upon me the title of Inquisitor in this duchy. I had two of the most powerful mages here work on the vault, which shares the tombs of many dead hextorites.""

Kalypsia pulls the right torch as the sounds of gears can be heard beneath the hewn stone wall as the painting rises and before you opens an old arc door with old stone steps leading down into the darkness. the scent of ages permeates your senses as the zenythri takes out her mace and casts a simple spell upon it as it sheds light in a very large radius.

"He should be below. Let's go.""

@Adalyse: Ellinka stands back up again and walks through the corridors of the restful dead.

"I am not attuned to the Natural World, Adalyse. The Fey Woods have stood in place since before the Ironhelms took over and not even the might of the Scourge of Hell dared venture into that place. However, I do know that the attack on Justcrown which claimed Mathilda's life had to be from Seneschal Kazym- only a dry lich can create beings like that. Why did he go to the Fey woods? Why was he able to bring it to its knees? That, my pupil, I do not know. I do know that a group went in pursuit of this lich. I know this because one of them was allied to both of these churches. A man by the name of Alexander Anderson. He was trained under Mathilda and Wilhelm, but I do not know where he is now. If you wish for more answers, you might have to have an audience with Stragel himself. And I would hurry- I hear his time draws near.""

Ellinka stops at one particular tomb, which seems a lot newer than the others. this one does not bear the emblem of Hextor or Wee Jas, but instead, the Cudgel.

Ellinka passes her hand over the worked symbol and the sturdy stone slab.

"I can sense powerful magic contained in here... what are the Cuthbertines hiding?""

@Thellin: You ignore the druid, Hessik and look at those gathered, plainly describing what this is. And what purpose it may have.

Cecile's eyes widen in horror as she gets up and carries the infant from the cradle as she wraps him in swadling clothes.

"Oliver, carry the cradle back to the room later, please... and don't stay here too long. Good night, everyone.""

Tarith watches Cecile leave with her newborn and looks at the bundle of twigs and leaves.

"Just what we needed... child snatcher. And fey, no less. Those damn woods have been a reason to pain me ever since...""

Tarith looks at Basil, who clears his throat and takes Cecile's seat.

"Thank you, Thellin. You have confirmed what we believed initially. Since you know more about this than us, perhaps you could inquire with Silas Spencer, the local mage. I would go myself, but the Inquisitor isn't too fond of me.""

@Humbert: Kalypsia's boots echo through the old dusty catacombs. Who knows how many are buried here... and for how long.

"As a paladin, a word of caution- once I open the Vault, do not enter. Allow him to come out. Your creed to Pelor contradicts that of St. Cuthbert and that could have painful consequences.""

@Adalyse: Ellinka turns towards one of the tunnels as loud clanking can be heard and light shines dimly against the old crypts.

"I can hear Kalypsia down here... has she come to hunt me down? I have given you all the information I have, Adalyse. I will return to Suel, but you know you may count on me for any further advice. May The Ruby Sorceress watch over you.""

And having said that, Ellinka takes a few steps away from you and her presence disappears amidst the shadows.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Adalyse eyes the marking that the Suel lich ran her hand over. Her head snapped up at the clanking sound and then nodded to her mentor. "Ruby Sorceress bless you until we meet again." She watched the woman fade from sight and then turned her attention toward the footfalls once more. Her mind raced. One the one hand, she should go see the old man which meant the Pelorite temple. On the other, a confrontation here with the Inquisitor seemed inevitable... but what secrets could be revealed.

Adalyse grimaced internally and retrieved the bronze skull necklace from inside her armor, letting it hang down to the center of her breastplate. Time to meet... Options raced through her mind. In the end, she seemed content with her course of action and simply waited, her gauntlet hands empty and fingers splayed out to make obvious her lack of weapons. Her senses reaching out beyond the spectrum that regular people could comprehend.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Utilizing Life Sense to see living beings present/approaching within 60 ft.
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2016-02-26 at 09:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr ponders the mage's words as he glides slowly down toward the outskirts of the town. Bandobras seemed quite clear that he could find help in the Fey Woods... but had brought Zephyr here, instead. Had he not believed that Zephyr could track down this woman alone? Or, thinking to the raw power that Bandobras had just demonstrated, perhaps it would not be safe to find her alone, if she did not wish to be found. He had not even provided her name, or anything else about her.

Swallowing his distaste, Zephyr finds a safe place to land unseen within the fledgling city. He considers the collection of buildings Bandobras pointed out to him. What he needed most was information. If the unnatural winter was caused by sorcery, he wanted to know more about how that was possible, and how to counteract it. Tucking his wings close to his body and shouldering his bow, he trudges his way to Silas' School of Sorcery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Diethrich's fist taps the left side of his chest, a sign of respect in his knightly order.

"Ah, Father Aenar! I was just hoping to meet with you. I did not expect to see you so equipped as well. Is everything well?", Dietrich glances around then gives the Father a rare and wry smile, "At least, besides this blighted blizzard?"
    Feathanil approaches and stops a polite distance away. He tucks his helm under his arm and bows. "Father Aenar I hear?" he asks. "I am Feathanil ve-Oparal vo-Castanil, called Feather if you will, and I come to ask your aid on a matter of justice and rescue. You must be aware of the missing children of this town. I have come to lead a mission to find and free them, or to join one if there is such already in motion under a suitable leader. By your gear I can hope that this is the case? Word had it that the official forces of this town have no such plan as yet."

To the knight he adds, "I do not know you sir, but this is surely a task worthy for a true knight to join."
    Last edited by avr; 2016-02-26 at 10:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

"No hugs, no help, Johann says, his arms still open to Silas.

" But sure, I would love to help. Specially since theyre kidnapping children as well. Also, I'm all ears if you have any information that could help find out more about it. It's not like I was planning to enjoy a vacation, right?
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

18. - Top - End - #48

Thellin

"Where might this Silas Spencer be found?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

@Adalyse: The catacombs are dark and you do not need a source of light to see, but your body, now a hulking metal frame could make a sound, never mind hiding.

Zenythris like Kalypsia can see in the dark, but whether she has trained to be a tracker, well... time will tell. She certainly is not subtle as her heavy metal boots crack the old hallowed grounds of the old catacombs.

But she is not alone.

Another one walks behind her. A living being, alright. Why are they down here and why now?

Whether you choose to hide or disappear like Adalyse, that choice would have to be made within seconds.

@Humbert: Kalypsia walks solemnly down the old crypts, noticing that many have the symbol of the Scourge upon them and stops to look at you.

"A long time ago, the church of Cuthbert made sure these catacombs were hallowed and consecrated. We will not be facing rampaging ghouls. This place is home only to memories, dust... and metal.""

Kalypsia stops in front of a sealed wall with the emblem of the Cudgel crafted in perfect detail in front of it and places her hand on the symbol.

"I wish it did not come to this, but the City Guard is not trained enough to track all these disappearances and if there is something far more sinister afoot, we will need as much help as possible. Stand back, Humbert Gaula.""

Kalypsia sighs and points her index finger at the stone slab and shuts her eyes as she intones a few words in celestial, language of the heavens as the entire tunnel begins to glow with emerald light, which condenses into the tip of her finger as she opens her eyes, which glow with the same light and in a sudden blast of Divine energy, the slab and its intricate symbol are reduced to dust, causing both to cough as the smoke takes a few seconds to dissipate, but you can already see a tall outline beyond the vault.

"My legacy, Lord Cinderbolt. I call upon your services once more. Please come forth.""

It's a slow revving of gears and heavy footsteps as the dust clears and before you stands a seven foot tall figure. This creature is made entirely of clockwork metal, with a red cape bolted to his shoulders.

His face plate is golden, as are his arms and you can see a magnificent blade strapped to his belt.

The emblem of the Cudgel has been welded into his chest as the tall machine man looks at you in abject silence, his gears winding at a slow pace as dust falls from his body.

"The Lex Captivas is safe...""

His voice is mechanical and devoid of any emotion whatsoever. But what is he exactly?

Spoiler: The Checks
    Show
    Know. Arcana & The Planes to ID him

Kalypsia smiles, perhaps the only time you will see the inquisitor smile as she walks up to the tall metal man.

"I know it is, Lord Cinderbolt. However, we have other pressing matters at hand. Justcrown needs you to be vigilant again in the surface, for our situation is dire and we are few in number to deal with the situation.""

Lord Cinderbolt takes a few steps forward and looks at you through his glass lenses for eyes. His gears forever turning and then walks past you back towards the entrance to the catacombs.

Kalypsia sighs in relief as she looks at you.

"He is one of the best trackers I know. It won't take long before we have our culprit.""

That;s when Cinderbolt stops and turns around.

"We are not alone...""

@Adelyse: Kalypsia and the man with her, an aasimar knight, turn to a corner as the light from Kalypsia's mace shines against your pitch black armor.

The inquisitor stands proud and grips her mace in one hand.

"The Jasidian Order came and went, Adelyse Ren. What business have you here?""

@Humbert: Another knight?

This one has a pitch black armor and its visor covers his features, but he seems unarmed, as he raises his hands, a sign that he means no trouble,

But why be down here of all places?

@Zephyr: And so, Bandobras is gone...

Why would he not give you the name of this person? Maybe he forgot. Maybe he has his reasons.

Your elders say that this halfling trained under them when the Aerie was a nest and he was already of age, so who knows what goes through the halfling's mind.

So many different destinations in this duchy. You could go and fly straight to the forest beyond, barely visible by the snow, but if this winter is caused by magic, magic should undo it.

Flying for decades over the Giantshield Mountain ranges, you have learned to make the best use of the currents. In that regard, among your Aerie, your are the alpha hunter, so catching the right currents for a ground settlement like this one should not be a problem.

As you glide gracefully amidst the hail and snow, it dawns upon you: is Justcrown tolerant? You have lived away from big cities all your life. yes, elves and dwarves and halflings meddle with humans, but you are a Raptoran.

Humans are known for being suspicious and wary of races they deem different and in their eyes, hostile. One has to wonder how they have grown so much all over Oerth.

Landing on the pointy rooftop of Silas'School of Sorcery, you take some time to let the chimney stacks warm your feathers, which have caught more than a fair share of frost from the simple act of gliding down.

Not many people out in the streets, which are covered in snow and ice. Even better.

It's a silent landing at the door to the mage's school and you hesitate before a single hard knock announces your presence.

@Johann: Silas laughs and gives you a hug.

"More to come if you can help us with this problem! Let's go to my office and chat. I have acquired a bottle of Feywine, a gift from some friends I met not too long ago. It has a sweet after taste and leaves little to no hangover.""

As both are ready to head to the second floor, you both feel a pulse in Time & Space as Xander Corillian appears inside, fixing his heavy spectacles.

"Silas, I have already contacted... by Delleb! Johann Crawford, Runestone's Brightest Mind, last I heard!""

Xander and Silas did not study at Runestone, they attended The Academy at Rel Mord. A respectable center for learning, but not as prominent as Runestone in the City of Power.

The magus shakes your hand and looks out the window.

"I assume Silas has put you up to speed?""

"I was about to, over a glass of Feywine. Care to join us?""

Xander cleans his glasses with a silk handkerchief and shakes his head.

"Tea for me, please.""

That's when a knock is heard at the door and Silas raises an eyebrow.

"We are expecting anyone?""

Xander fixes himself some tea.

"Yes, but I had not expected them here so quickly.""

@Zephyr: The door opens and you look down at a human mage wearing mittens and a quilt over his blue robes. A few feet behind him you see another human scholar with a thick set of glasses and purple robes.

Beside that man, yet another human in robes and a partially frozen goatee turns to look at you as the man at the door gulps and looks up at your stern face, battered by the snow outside.

"Uhhh... hello? The shop is closed, I am afraid.""

The man ins pectacles puts down the cup of tea and his eyes widen.

"Homo Avians! Or in the Common tongue, a Raptoran. I have read about them! Sir, please, come in! You will catch a cold outside with that bitter weather.""

You are invited inside as the two mages shake your hand.

"Silas Spencer, a pleasure to meet you.""

"Xander Corillian, magus. If I am not mistaken, Raptoran communities are found in high hard to reach places. Please correct me if i'm wrong. This fellow with us is Master Johann Crawford. Please feel yourself at home. I have looked at regional maps here and have not found any Raptoran communities. You must have flown a long way, mister...""
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2016-02-27 at 01:04 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

@Thellin: Tarith takes a drink from his mug and points towards the door.

"He has a school for sorcerers. Although they are really wizards. An eccentric but good man, Silas and his colleague Xander are always eager to learn new things. Being wizards and all. If I had to take a guess, about twenty blocks by foot, turn right at Huckle Street, in the Merchant district. But who knows if he's there now.""

21. - Top - End - #51

BlueKnightGuy

"My name is Dietrich, Feather. It's a pleasure," said with a bow of the head, "Perhaps you or the Father here could elaborate on these kidnappings for me? I have no word of such events."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aenar takes in the new arrival, the talk of kidnapping riveting his attention. It would not be the first time he had taken up arms to save kidnapped innocents - but the last occasion had had far reaching consequences.

He answers Dietrich first.

"The armour is a precaution. A strange apparition was seen near the barn earlier - a goblin-like creature that disappeared instantly when confronted. It may be a spectre or an Outsider - or a particularly stealthy or magically equipped mortal. Whatever the case, this seemed a wise precaution.

"I am anxious to hear what Xander summoned me to discuss with you - but, if you will forgive me, this kidnapping matter sounds urgent."

Turning to Feathanil, he bows respectfully. "Pelor's blessing upon you, friend. Word of any kidnapped children had not reached me, or you may be sure I would have taken a keen interest. Who has been taken? What do you know of the perpetrators, or their purpose? And what information do you have on where they have gone?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Hissek Ren

"My name's Hissek, and the fleshraker is Nibbles. Nibbles follows me, and I'm here to meet someone on behalf of some mutual acquaintances. Unfortunately the person I'm supposed to meet is apparently in the Feywood and I do not look forwards to finding her." Hissek said, responding to Tarith's inquiry. He soon fell silent as Thellin began to talk. Child snatching fey were not something he wanted to have to deal with, but if he was going into the woods he would probably end up running into them by accident at the very least. He had a tenuous relationship with feykind on the best of days.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

@Hissek: You have heard tales, ever since you were a child...

When the whimsy of the Fey caught their attention, children would be taken from homes, usually in the middle of the night. Come morning, the mother would find a Changeling, a fey child. These were said to be either beautiful beyond or compare or animalistic in appearance.

Stories tell of many distraught families seeking the fey to ask for their children back, but no actual record says that the family either found the fey and, if they did find it, that the Sylvan denizens would part with the child.

But what this man, Thellin is describing is a lot darker in nature- children taken and replaced by violent creatures. Who knows how many have been taken already... and for what purpose. The fey are not humans- their mindset is entirely different. If you are to meet with them eventually in Justcrown or the woods yonder, who knows how this meeting will go...

Assuming you can find them, that is.

Tarith Spellbane listens to your tale and shakes his head.

"Only grief and suffering will come out of that trip, Hissek. My own family was taken to the Fey woods...""

Tarith grips his fist and you can see that recounting that story in his mind alone has surfaced many violent thoughts.

"Needless to say, we were lucky. They are back, but were it not for a group of people who risked their lives, I would not have them here today. You seem a like a decent sort and Nibbles over there looks like the take no prisoners kind of guy. If you are looking for your friend, heed my advice: Do not go alone. When the group I mentioned earlier set out to explore those woods, it was in Autumn, not even winter and they were large in number. I spoke to one briefly during their frequent trips back to Justcrown for supplies. It was a fight for survival every single hour, so use that wisdom druids are known for and make the right decision. I will protect my family, that no tragedy befalls them. If fey are involved, at least our blades will hurt them- salt mummies were a different matter altogether.""

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

When I joined the order I did it expecting moments like this. Protecting Oerth from the intromision of the planes of chaos and evil. Now I follow the Inquisitor through the corridors, watchfull and alert, the light se light is unnecesary. But it does make it easier to read the history of this place in the walls and tapestries...

Humbert stands behind the inquisitor and very subtely channels his inner power to detect evil in this walls and in the creature that she is summoning.

What is that... A golem...
    Spoiler: Knowledge Planes
    Show
    (1d20+6)[24]

The Creature, this Lord Cinderbolt, is definetly impressive. What sort of magic sleeps in this catacombs.
    Good afternoon Lord Cinderbolt. The High Inquisitor was just telling me about your abilities as a tracker and hunter. Something I have some experience myself.

Wait... another knight? My gaze travels from the metalic man to the new apparition in the shadows
    Spoiler
    Show
    detecting evil
    . She and the Inquisitor seem to know each other, but to what avail?
    Spoiler: Sense motive roll
    Show
    (1d20+6)[13]
    And what's the involvement of the Jasidian Order?
    Spoiler: Knowledge religion
    Show
    (1d20+2)[21]
    Too many secrets in this church. When will the light of Pelor shine over their coniving souls...

High Inquisitor. It seems to me that there are too many denizens in st Cuthbert's catacombs.
    Spoiler: if
    Show
    if don't detect evil in the stranger
    Greetings stranger.

Humbert walks unmenancingly to the stranger. What now Inquisitor? I thinks is time to stop the secrecy and tell me what is this all about and how can we find a solution
    Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+17)[20]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Feathanil answers Aenar and Dietrich. "Many children of the town, a handful of years of age or less have been abducted. Signs and divinations point to the Fey Woods; we may learn more from speaking to those who searched and divined, but certainly a skilled tracker shall be necessary. I can hunt a wolf or other common animal but..." He sighs. "My cousin could track a wraith through a blizzard or order her soldiers to do so, but this may be beyond me. Perchance you may be better woodsmen or know such, but if not Silas - a teacher and master of lore in this town - suggested asking travellers at the main inn here, the ah, Foaming Wench."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

@Humbert: Who knows how old these catacombs are. They most likely predate Justcrown itself, but if the inquisitor says that no ghouls or other restless souls will jump you down here, you should be safe.

Once Kalypsia has unmade the entrance to the vault and the tall metal man emerges, you try and figure out who he is... or what.

Lord Cinderbolt is not a golem, but he is a construct. Not one crafted on Oerth. Lord Cinderbolt is a Kolyarut, a race of sentient automatons from Mechanus called Inevitables.

More information would be needed regarding what exactly he can do to help Justcrown, but chances are the High Inquisitor is not about to give a lecture at this very moment.

Lord Cinderbolt turns his metallic gaze towards you as his gears grind continuosly, but does not address you back. Instead, he reaches for the blade by his side.

Then, you look at the dark knight. Adalyse, Kalypsia called her. So it's a woman beneath that heavy suit.

You keen your eyes and attempt to find any traces of malice in Adalyse, but to your surprise, there is none.

You do however recall the term 'Jasidian'. It refers to the followers of Wee Jas, a Suloise deity worshipped all over Oerth. She is a goddess associated with death, but unlike many other deities that revel in causing death, Wee Jas and her followers have the solemn task of honoring the dead by giving them proper burial. Much dispute has arisen around many churches, even factions within the Jasidian Order, since some followers of Wee Jas view honoring the fallen by reanimating them as sentient undead, usually to better help one of the many holy causes of their church.

This is a matter that is still hotly disputed by scholars, priests and sages all over Oerth.

With no signs of Evil registered from this woman, you keep your blade sheathed and walk up to her in a friendly manner.

@Adalyse: Kalyspia keeps her mace gripped in her hand as Lord Cinderbolt walks towards the High Inquisitor.

"The only secret that I would like to have light shed on is why is this... person down here. These catacombs belong to the Cudgel now. The Jasite church has no business here. This is a fact you know all too well, Adalyse Ren. Now, you may speak the truth here, or we can go upstairs to the Room of Law. With Lord Cinderbolt back in duty, I can make time to listen to your case, since, as a follower of a Goddess of Law, you ought to know this is trespassing.""

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Humbert feels the agression building up. The Jasidian's fate is not unkwon to him and as a Follower of the Sun it has always made sense that the death should be honored and well attended.
    As Pelor Illuminates the sky in a cycle followed by the night, thus the darkness of death is the ashes that give way to life. ALthough I can understand your concerns pertaining the tresspassing Inquisitor, I am sure a Jasidian has well founded reasons to do so. Besides, there are more pressing matters. Could it be, Jasidian, Adalyse is it, that your presence here is related with this weather? Were that the case, respected Inquisitor, wouldn't it be of a greater profit to outline a plan of action and leave for later any offence the Jasidian's might have commited?
    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Humbert is completely uninterested in the Church's internal politics and want to convince the Inquisitor time is more important (1d20+17)[36]

Let us help Justcrown and leave politics for another day

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    Feathanil answers Aenar and Dietrich. "Many children of the town, a handful of years of age or less have been abducted. Signs and divinations point to the Fey Woods; we may learn more from speaking to those who searched and divined, but certainly a skilled tracker shall be necessary. I can hunt a wolf or other common animal but..." He sighs. "My cousin could track a wraith through a blizzard or order her soldiers to do so, but this may be beyond me. Perchance you may be better woodsmen or know such, but if not Silas - a teacher and master of lore in this town - suggested asking travellers at the main inn here, the ah, Foaming Wench."
    Senate's knuckles pop, so tightly has he clenched his fist. He makes a visible effort to calm, and glances upwards - eyes unerringly directed at the sun despite the intervening stone.

"May the Shining One watch over them until we can save them. This is a cause in which He would have me serve. I will join you. If we have not located them by dawn tomorrow, I shall pray for guidance; in the meantime, perhaps the unfortunately named tavern you suggest is a prudent place to begin."

He turns to Dietrich. "Are you with us, friend Dietrich? I know you had your own reasons for seeking my aid, but children in peril must take priority."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

"Feywine that is then!", Johann say before Xander teleport inside, "I'm already convinced this weather is some kind of supernatural storm. Xander my old friend, how are you d...", but he is interrupted as snowy winds come in as the door is open for the raptoran, "Whoa! Did you came here flying in this blizzard? You must be freezing! Come in and shut the door, it's cold out there!".

Johann help him in.
    "Name is Johann and I'm not the brighest mind of Hamalthan, I'm just a wannabe artist looking for inspiration and that happens to know a lot of the arcane", he begins chatting while he wait for the feywine, "If there's something hot to eat as well it would be great", he complete with a smile.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2016-02-27 at 09:31 AM.