The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Total War Central IV (Semi-freeform nation games)

A thought occurs to me. What if we introduce something like what they did in Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, with ideological splits within the factions lead to a splintering around the edges? Or like Futuretech in Red Alert where it had its own agenda.

For example, a Nod aligned faction might focus on improving conditions in Yellow Zones, but could be influenced by GDI in exchange for ecological or resource aid. Conversely, Tiberium researchers in GDI could trade secrets in exchange for Nod files. It might work if every player has an explicit faction goal distinct from either GDI or Nod which could nominally be supported by either. They could have a faction tendency representing where they start, but not where they end up.

Both GDI and Nod are composite organizations. Nod is made up of a lot of irregulars and local forces from the Yellow Zones. GDI has multiple national members as well as fairly autonomous sub-divisions. Even the Scrin have apparently have cults and sects as well as harvesting expeditions. Nod heratics forces or GDI citizens who give up on defeating Tiberium might join the Scrin secretly or openly. Scrin based factions working with the humans might require "escaped" victims or forces controled via captured masterminds or the like.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that's kind of what I was going for really. There is room for different factions to work with each regardless of their nominal allegiance. I'm just not sure if you could really make factions that are completely third party work.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneStomper View Post
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was going for really. There is room for different factions to work with each regardless of their nominal allegiance. I'm just not sure if you could really make factions that are completely third party work.
    A quick scan of the wiki says there are non-Nod aligned Tiberium cultists, Nod separatists, the Forgotten Mutants, and left over CABAL.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    A quick scan of the wiki says there are non-Nod aligned Tiberium cultists, Nod separatists, the Forgotten Mutants, and left over CABAL.
    I think it would be too early for non-Nod cultists and CABAL wouldn't have been built in the timeframe the game starts in. Nod Separatists I would mostly put under Nod. They use Nod tech after all. So mechanically that's where they best fit. I have mentioned the Forgotten Mutants. But I'm not really familiar with what they have available.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have a game close to ready for recruitment. The idea was to develop a "Game of Thrones" feel without having the players need to know the background of all the families.

Spoiler
    Show

5 stats:
    MILITARY (MIL) - military power
    ESPIONAGE (ESP) - information gathering ability
    ECONOMY (ECON) - how much money the family makes each turn
    HONOR (HON) - how honorable your faction is preceived. A combination of Moral and World Opinion
    FAMILY (FAM) - A stat that allows PMs and has an impact on how much territory you can control

There would be a feudal system, with a king(s) at the top, Dukes in the middle, and Lords at the bottom. The cap for each factions stats is determined by how many cities they manage, with Dukes and Kings getting a small bonus for cities managed by their subservieant Lords

If a lord, 1 FAM can manage one city, increasing their faction's stat cap by 4
    If a Duke, 1 FAM can oversee 4 Lords, increasing their faction's stat cap by 1 per city
    If a King, 1 FAM can manage 4 Dukes, increasing their faciton's stat cap by 1 per city their Dukes oversee

Every Faction would also have a base of 10 stat cap without any cities, allowing a player (or NPC) to lose all their lands and still be in the game. Any player could declare themselves a King at any time, but they would immediatly be at war with all the other Kings, so without support their cities would look tasty.

I will also have mercinary rates (how much money you can make for renting out your MIL for a turn, or how much renting a MIL for a turn costs), and quests that factions can go on that can give bonus stats or other special traits.

Is there interest?

Earliest I could start recruitment would be late September. Would that be a good time, or should I wait for some of the current games to finish?
    Last edited by HerbieRAI; 2016-08-31 at 11:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Well I'd be interested.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Looks pretty interesting. I quite liked the one Game of Thrones TW I've played.
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds interesting, though the system seems fairly basic. Let's see what the lore looks like.
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Would be interested, and is it bad that I'm drawing up ideas for something based on the Warlocks of Quarth and the Alchemists Guild?
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'd be interested as well. No sure what kind of house I would play but either way it sounds fun
    I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

I've been reading up on the rules for this, and have had an itch to run a nation for a while. Yesterday I posted a thread Here requesting a game, though it occures to me now that I may have been better off coming here first.

That said, I'll keep it brief. Anybody interested in trying to get together a Fantasy-themed total war game?
    Last edited by NineOfSpades; 2016-09-29 at 09:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    I've been reading up on the rules for this, and have had an itch to run a nation for a while. Yesterday I posted a thread Here requesting a game, though it occures to me now that I may have been better off coming here first.

That said, I'll keep it brief. Anybody interested in trying to get together a Fantasy-themed total war game?
    I'm sure there is interest. What kind of specifics are you thinking of. High or low fantasy. Any rule variations.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneStomper View Post
    I'm sure there is interest. What kind of specifics are you thinking of. High or low fantasy. Any rule variations.
    Lower fantasy I would say. Been reading the Witcher books, and that's been pretty fun. Magic exists, and is a potent force, but even the mightiest of mages can be killed by an angry mob of unarmed peasents. Monsters roam the countryside, but they aren't ancient forces or anything, just animals who happen to have unusual abilities like breathing fire or being undead. Sure, a few are cut above and are of human intelligence, but they arn't demons or devils, there is no cosmic battle between good and evil.

I'm afraid Im not familiar enough with the rules to have much to say on variants. The logistic option makes sense, and the traits seem good for adding flavor between elves and dwarves for example. Not sure I get the VIP rule, but that also seems neat. But like I said, I'm still grappling with the basics.
    Last edited by NineOfSpades; 2016-09-30 at 09:02 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

OldWizardGuy

I'd jump on board, been itching for a return of the Deep Trolls lately anyway Mind if I just post my interest over in that thread?
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warmatt View Post
    I'd jump on board, been itching for a return of the Deep Trolls lately anyway Mind if I just post my interest over in that thread?
    By all means, have at it.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you hoping to GM, or looking for someone else to run?

Getting players is relatively easy, but GMing is a long and hard job, so it's harder to get people just jump into that.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Psycho View Post
    Are you hoping to GM, or looking for someone else to run?

Getting players is relatively easy, but GMing is a long and hard job, so it's harder to get people just jump into that.
    I've never played before, so I've no illusions about my ability to GM. No, I'm simply looking to be a player, even knowing it's a long shot to find a GM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

What would actually help is if you were willing to write up the setting. The history and the various goings on that led up to the start of the game. Players do like to make their own factions of course, but having a framework helps keep things coherent. Also as a GM I find that the mechanics take me less time than actually writing a response to everything and doing game events.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Well, if it's help get the game going, I'd be willing to put in some time and write out a setting.

20. - Top - End - #80

OldWizardGuy

Would love to know what you have planned for the underground, particularly as I've already settled on a few..... linguistic tidbits. For example, there word for 'Barbarian' is the same as there word for 'one who dwells on the surface of the world', which would be purely for little reasons why they don't get along with those surface dwellers.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

I'm mostly going to focus on the world stage. How the world was created, what magic is, the existence or lack there of for gods, major historic events of global significance. Things like what you described really feel like details better left in the hands of players to fill in.

22. - Top - End - #82

OldWizardGuy

Yes, but will the world history be surface-centric, or will it also include the much more obviously civilized lands below?

Yeah, just joking, but cultural details are as per player, was wondering more about the broad scope of the underground, as my faction is dismissive of the surface at the best of times.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

I'll try to cover how the lands below came to be and include several events related to them, without giving them special treatment.

24. - Top - End - #84

Not to step on anyone's toes, but it sounds like two people (NineOfSpades and Herbie) are both planning medieval low-fantasy nation games. Do we need both? Any news on Herbie's front?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Just to repeat, I'm not planning to run a game. I am simply doing some of the work in the hopes of luring a GM to take over.

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Cognimancer View Post
    Not to step on anyone's toes, but it sounds like two people (NineOfSpades and Herbie) are both planning medieval low-fantasy nation games. Do we need both? Any news on Herbie's front?
    Recruitment on mine will start up within the week. I'm gathering and compiling all my notes for the OP and double checking I didn't miss any details. Magic is very low in this world. The strongest mages would only be able to throw one fireball before they would be drained. Unless you find/buy magical items it is significantly easier to swing a sword.

27. - Top - End - #87

And Recruitment has started. First come gets the first pick of cities.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...alling-Kingdom
    Last edited by HerbieRAI; 2016-10-04 at 06:41 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a little confused. We are playing as cities you already created, or are we allowed to make our own cities and cultures?

29. - Top - End - #89

You control a city already created, but you can define the culture and other details of the city
    Last edited by HerbieRAI; 2016-10-04 at 08:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

PaladinGuy

Any games recruiting at the moment?