The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Total War Central IV (Semi-freeform nation games)

I am working on a new game. But I'm not certain when I'll start recruitment.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Glad to hear it!

I've been thinking about running a game for a while, but I think I'd like to play a bit before I jump into the gm's seat.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Would there be any interest in a game involving mercenary companies in a war ravaged alternative Europe? With a few more fantastical elements to allow things like power armor, clockwork soldiers, mobile bases, and so on.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

So, I think part of the problem with the last few games I have been in is that there wasn't enough to drive conflict. To be sure, there was a lot of power plays and dislike, there wasn't really anything to provoke a major war. We all just sat around growing our stats and tried to make alliances for the inevitable war, but it never really came.

Should there be something in the rules or faction creation to promote conflict? Something like a territorial claim for land explicitly claimed by another player? Perhaps missions that give stat bonuses? Like if the techy people have to develop fusion power but the warmongers don't want them getting that econ boost then the warmongers have an incentive to sabotage the experiments or hire someone else to do so.

Similarly, I think public stats might be a good idea. It adds the entirely pointless but fun challenge of trying to reach the top.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Or just make creating new stat points extremely time and resource intensive while stealing, trading for or conquering them is relatively easy.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Or just make creating new stat points extremely time and resource intensive while stealing, trading for or conquering them is relatively easy.
    Something like exponential costs so that those who are weakest grow the fastest while those who are strongest have the most incentive to be predatory?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    Something like exponential costs so that those who are weakest grow the fastest while those who are strongest have the most incentive to be predatory?
    Doesn't seem really necessary to me.

In my opinion, the strong have the right to be strong, just as the weak have not only the right but the responsibility to band together against the strong.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

In my next game I plan to have it so the only way to gain stats is to fight for them. My concern is that requiring people to play as mercenaries may be too politically limiting though.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2016-12-27 at 04:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneStomper View Post
    In my next game I plan to have it so the only way to gain stats is to fight for them. My concern is that requiring people to play as mercenaries may be too politically limiting though.
    You could just say that every area has reached the maximum productivity allowed by current technology and so the only way to increase production is to acquire new land to strip of raw materials and new markets to sell finished goods to. Or have the PCs be colonial expeditions from major powers to somewhere already inhabited.

10. - Top - End - #100

PaladinGuy

I'd certainly be interested. Particularly since my favorite playstyle is the warmongering blitz. I kind of agree with both Murska and exthalion, having stat building be pretty cheap especially with the mega alliances of mercantile factions that trend to form.
    Last edited by A_Dinosaur; 2016-12-28 at 10:40 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Arcane - how exactly is the game going to run? Im assuming we wouldnt also be lords or anything, so our stats would represent our company and we sign on to fight for various kings and stuff? I could be interested in that.

Go Tigers!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    Arcane - how exactly is the game going to run? Im assuming we wouldnt also be lords or anything, so our stats would represent our company and we sign on to fight for various kings and stuff? I could be interested in that.
    Pretty much. I think setting wise it would be something of a mix between a Napoleonic regiment and a modern PMC working for the various Great Powers.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Here is the setting. I'll post the rules a bit later.

Spoiler: Setting
    Show
    In 1512 Francisco Estrada became the most famous alchemist in history when he successfully created a philosopher's stone. Capable of transmuting almost from the most famous conversion of lead into gold to more practical things like dirt into steel the stone was incredibly useful and overnight propelled the until then somewhat disgraced alchemist into prominence.

In 1516 Estrada presented a refined version of his stone to Charles V when he was proclaimed king of Spain. What followed was three decades of conquest and upheaval as the new king, and later emperor, used the stone's powers to fuel a march across Europe. This only stopped in 1548 when Estrada died to an assassin's blade and his apprentices struggled to reconstruct his process.

Although they succeeded several years later by then spies and foreign alchemists had also managed to produce their own philosopher's stones returning Europe to a form of equilibrium. It was this equilibrium that unknown alchemists were attempting to overturn when they created the hellish substance known as the Philosopher's Curse. A derivative of the Philosopher's Stone it held many of the same properties, but would transmute substances constantly and on occasion into more of the curse. Unable to be contained in traditional flasks and beakers it soon spread through Europe blighting huge sections of land with constantly shifting substances from fields of gold to swamps of quicksilver.

With Europe becoming uninhabitable the nobility turned to their overseas possessions. Spain's massive lead in this area lead to the formation of a series of alliances among the other powers as they struggled to carve out colonial empires of their own, helped by the tide of refugee peasants eager to find safer lands.

By the 1800s European civilization is no longer European as such. Determined efforts have managed to keep the most important cities intact, but most citizens and industry now occurs in the Americas where the ground won't suddenly decide to eat your legs.

However this does not mean Europe is not useful. Filled with vast quantities of useful metals, fantastic alloys, and the always coveted fields of gold, it represents a nearly limitless source of wealth though an extremely dangerous one. And of course such wealth draws competition as the various nations seek to mine and control it for themselves.

There is however a complication as permanent outposts are nearly impossible to maintain so the mining guilds are always on the move in their airships and land crawlers. While at the same time the continued alliance against Spain prevents most of the European powers from fielding their own armies either against each other or to protect their guilds.

Thus the rise of the mercenary regiments. Soldiers of fortune who patrol the wastes of Europe in their air leviathans. Sometimes protecting the miners against pirates, sometimes being pirates themselves, and sometimes fighting each other all in the name of gold and glory.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Here is the setting. I'll post the rules a bit later.

Spoiler: Setting
    Show
    In 1512 Francisco Estrada became the most famous alchemist in history when he successfully created a philosopher's stone. Capable of transmuting almost from the most famous conversion of lead into gold to more practical things like dirt into steel the stone was incredibly useful and overnight propelled the until then somewhat disgraced alchemist into prominence.

In 1516 Estrada presented a refined version of his stone to Charles V when he was proclaimed king of Spain. What followed was three decades of conquest and upheaval as the new king, and later emperor, used the stone's powers to fuel a march across Europe. This only stopped in 1548 when Estrada died to an assassin's blade and his apprentices struggled to reconstruct his process.

Although they succeeded several years later by then spies and foreign alchemists had also managed to produce their own philosopher's stones returning Europe to a form of equilibrium. It was this equilibrium that unknown alchemists were attempting to overturn when they created the hellish substance known as the Philosopher's Curse. A derivative of the Philosopher's Stone it held many of the same properties, but would transmute substances constantly and on occasion into more of the curse. Unable to be contained in traditional flasks and beakers it soon spread through Europe blighting huge sections of land with constantly shifting substances from fields of gold to swamps of quicksilver.

With Europe becoming uninhabitable the nobility turned to their overseas possessions. Spain's massive lead in this area lead to the formation of a series of alliances among the other powers as they struggled to carve out colonial empires of their own, helped by the tide of refugee peasants eager to find safer lands.

By the 1800s European civilization is no longer European as such. Determined efforts have managed to keep the most important cities intact, but most citizens and industry now occurs in the Americas where the ground won't suddenly decide to eat your legs.

However this does not mean Europe is not useful. Filled with vast quantities of useful metals, fantastic alloys, and the always coveted fields of gold, it represents a nearly limitless source of wealth though an extremely dangerous one. And of course such wealth draws competition as the various nations seek to mine and control it for themselves.

There is however a complication as permanent outposts are nearly impossible to maintain so the mining guilds are always on the move in their airships and land crawlers. While at the same time the continued alliance against Spain prevents most of the European powers from fielding their own armies either against each other or to protect their guilds.

Thus the rise of the mercenary regiments. Soldiers of fortune who patrol the wastes of Europe in their air leviathans. Sometimes protecting the miners against pirates, sometimes being pirates themselves, and sometimes fighting each other all in the name of gold and glory.

Sound fun let us know when you post id be down to submit a regiment
    I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

I haven't had a chance to work on this much lately, but here is the rough draft of the rules.

Spoiler
    Show
    Each mercenary regiment has a number of statistics from which its operating strength are derived. These are its recruitment capability, its leadership, its intelligence assets, its logistics division, and its negotiations.

Each of these stats has its uses, but the Recruitment is one of the most important. Each turn the mercenary regiment will receive a number of grunts for free equal to its recruitment. These are in addition to any grunts who survived the previous turn. And grunts are the ones who actually go out and fulfill contracts for the company.

Next up is leadership. It represents the officers and senior enlisted of the regiment, and is divvied up among the various contracts a company takes. Grunts don't need these officers to actually undertake a contract, but they perform much more effectively with high leadership than without.

Intelligence is most useful in preparations before the battles are started. Intelligence allows a regiment to evaluate the risk of each contract, what enemy forces are expected, and what might happen that isn't explicitly laid out in the contract. It also helps in spying on the doings of the other regiments.

Logistics is what allows a company to field better equipment. Logistics can be used to get discounts on equipment and some types of equipment will require minimum amounts of logistics to even deploy and use.

Negotiations is something of a catch all stat. Depending on how it used it can increase contract payouts, generate favors with the nobility, or even convince an enemy to surrender on the field of battle.

In addition to the more permanent quantifiers there are a few resources that are more fluid. The first is the overall veterancy of the regiment. Every time a grunt survives a battle it will generate experience for the regiment. This is divided by the total number of grunts to generate the overall level of veterancy. Verteran grunts are more effective in combat, and can use more effective gear. However new recruits will lower the overall score, and grunts dying will reduce the score in proportion to their number.

The number of grunts in the regiment and their use is fairly straightforward. In addition to those who survive previous turns new grunts can be gotten for free from the recruitment stat or hired from various sources. Grunts can then be sent out on contracts to bring in income for the regiment.

Cash is useful and fluid. It is acquired through completing contracts and can be spent to hire more grunts, buy new equipment, and curry favor with the nobility. The flipside of cash is favor which is harder to acquire, but can be used to hire better grunts and requisition better equipment from more prominent sources.

In this game the primary action that can be done is to take contracts. Each contract involves sending out grunts and equipment to fulfill a task ranging from basic security work to commando raids on enemy installations. Each contract is broken down into the provider, the rating, and the payout.

The provider of the contract will be one of the major nations or guilds. Completing the contract will increase the influence of that nation and the influence of the mercenary group with said nation. Each contract is rated one to five according to their difficulty. With one being low risk security missions and five being

effectively a one way trip. Payout is pretty straightforward as it will almost always be some amount of cash. However higher difficulty missions may also pay out favors, equipment, and stats.

Each contract has two phases. The first phase tests for completion. Each grunt sent gets to roll a die. The result modified by leadership and equipment is compared to a target number determined by the rating.

If any of the grunts manages to beat the number the contract is completed successfully. The second phase is casualties. In this phase the grunts will roll more dice as will any grunts on the enemy side. The results are compared and casualties are inflicted on both sides.

As such it is possible to successfully complete a contract and still have all your grunts die. It is also possible to fail a contract and not lose anyone.

16. - Top - End - #106

OldWizardGuy

I'm wondering.... possible to have some transfiguration of living creatures in the setting? Mostly, just how adaptable is Alchemy, how flexible, or is it strictly a greater powers thing? Mostly, as I'm thinking of a Toronto Hogriders regiment... that rides actual boars.
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Technically possible. And you could see mutations due to side effects from the philosopher's stone.

But I don't see any reason why someone why choose to go to the lengths necessary to grow ridable pigs and then equip them to survive in the hostile European Wastelands. Using live mounts is kind of expensive and wasteful. Still done sometimes of course, but most everyone is going to stick with horses.

You could do it, but I'm going to want to see a pretty detailed faction background to explain why.

18. - Top - End - #108

OldWizardGuy

Well, the way I see it, if there were Motorcycles/hover-bikes, I'd use those instead. Why do you ask? Because I'm going to be going a 'biker gang' faction. Criminal? Ruthless? Deranged? Expendable? More then willing to take those dirty jobs the nobles/governments can deny? With a little bit of the teachings of Kane from the good old Brotherhood of NOD, with the right changes of course.

But, all in all, a light, mobile cavalry force is the name of the game. Hit and run with a side of terror and guerrilla tactics. Because that crap about 'honor' 'tradition' 'nobility' and 'human decency'? That kind of crap can go burn in a rusted iron barrel that was used as a urinal for mixed blood whores. Assuming the European biases and prejudices remain the same of course?

As a side note, The Hogriders won't care about race, gender or sexual orientation. What matters? Carry your weight, be someone's bitch, or get a bullet to the head.
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oooooh, this looks cool. I'd be keen to apply, assuming I can work out the rules properly.
    " . . . Like the moon, whose orb
    Through optic glass the Tuscan artist views
    At evening from the top of Fesole,
    Or in Valdarno, to descry new lands,
    Rivers or mountains in her spotty globe."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Valdarno View Post
    Oooooh, this looks cool. I'd be keen to apply, assuming I can work out the rules properly.
    ditto to that.

I was also curious if there will be a mechanic for stat growth over time as well.

It was mentioned that grunts and money can be fluid however values like recruitment and leadership seemed to mention something about permanence. Honestly I'd be ok either way but it would influence my stat spread a bit more knowing that I couldn't shore it up later.

Still I'm really interested.

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cybric View Post
    ditto to that.

I was also curious if there will be a mechanic for stat growth over time as well.

It was mentioned that grunts and money can be fluid however values like recruitment and leadership seemed to mention something about permanence. Honestly I'd be ok either way but it would influence my stat spread a bit more knowing that I couldn't shore it up later.

Still I'm really interested.
    The most dangerous missions might provide additional stats. However it is much harder to gain and lose them than things like grunts and cash.

Anyway I'm just about ready to start recruitment. However before I do I would like to if people would want equipment that goes beyond a simple bonus to combat, and if so what kind.

22. - Top - End - #112

OldWizardGuy

Well, Hoverbikes actually. I plan on making a sort of Biker Gang for hire faction, so I'm actually interested in movement and mobility options. My main focus is going to be on hit and run tactics after all.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The most dangerous missions might provide additional stats. However it is much harder to gain and lose them than things like grunts and cash.

Anyway I'm just about ready to start recruitment. However before I do I would like to if people would want equipment that goes beyond a simple bonus to combat, and if so what kind.
    Oh cool. First thing that came to mind would be like spy / influence bonuses from equipment. Stuff that doesn't directly benefit combat but could improve your chances. Also maybe like speed of movement increases or something that allows a faction to react/ act faster would be kinda cool.

Personally I'd be into like speampunk tech since I'm hoping to have a army of power armored soldiers with tesla guns lol
    Last edited by cybric; 2017-01-11 at 03:51 PM.

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Equipment should generally be simple bonuses, but hopefully clever plans give bonuses as well and clever use of available equipment in said plans makes it easier to get such.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115

PaladinGuy

I liked the equipment as stat protection in spire city, though it was a little easy to amass.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Here is my current game summary. Let me know if you think I am missing something or if a rule should be changed. I'll probably start recruitment later today or tomorrow.

Spoiler: TW Condottieri
    Show

Introduction
    The European Wastes can be deceptively idyllic from a distance. Fields of golden grain wave in the sun, forests dot the land, and villages appear untouched from their medieval roots. However a closer look reveals the lie. Those fields of grain are made of actual gold, the forests of steel, and the villages are the most horrific of all as the peasants too are untouched after they were transformed into stone statues so many centuries ago.

This is the work Estrada’s Revenge that most virulent of substances that transmutes all it touches. It is almost a relief to see the more traditionally ruined areas. The long strips of devastated earth left by guild mining crawlers, and the pocked and cratered battlefields where armies have waged war. But this is both the cause of Europe’s ruin and the source of its current wealth. These vast expanses of metal are easy to mine and refine, and they draw hundreds of miners in search of wealth. Not all are keen on honest wealth. Pirates and bandits infest the wastes in their jury-rigged airships. And these in turn require the hiring of vast numbers of mercenaries, Condottieri, who make their living in the fighting of other people’s wars.

Regiments of these soldiers of fortune range across Europe in their own airships. They hire their services to all. From kingdoms fighting proxy wars to guilds looking to protect their investments. If the coin is available any cause is just to a Condottieri. As the owner and commander of one of these regiments it falls to you to ensure that your regiment takes on the correct contracts. Ones that are fat, profitable, and not too risky so that the regiment will survive and thrive in the wastes. Perhaps even rising to the position where a bill of nobility can be purchased in one of the various powers and leveraged into even greater positions.

Spoiler: ”The Game”
    Show

Total War is a semi freeform game where you control a nation or organization in bid to achieve dominance. In this particular game each player will control a particular mercenary regiment as it tries to become rich, win glory, and influence the course of history.

The game is divided into turns each of which has two phases. In the first diplomacy phase players can talk with each other and NPCs to acquire contracts, check what others are doing, and set up alliances. In the second phase each player will submit an end of turn report, EoT, to the GM. describing their actions. The GM then processes all the EoTs, sends back the results to each player, and then posts the start of the new turn.

Spoiler: ”Rules”
    Show

Stats
    Each mercenary regiment has a number of statistics from which its operating strength are derived. These are its recruitment capability, its leadership, its intelligence assets, its logistics division, and diplomacy.

Each of these statistics has its uses, but the Recruitment is one of the most important. Each turn the mercenary regiment will receive a number of grunts for free equal to its recruitment. These are in addition to any grunts who survived the previous turn. And grunts are the ones who actually go out and fulfill contracts for the company.

Leadership represents the officers and senior enlisted of the regiment, and is divvied up among the various contracts a company takes. Grunts don't need these officers to actually undertake a contract, but they perform much more effectively with high leadership than without. Grunts performing a contract with no leaders will perform quite badly.

Intelligence is most useful in preparations before the battles are started. Intelligence allows a regiment to evaluate the risk of each contract, what enemy forces are expected, and what might happen that isn't explicitly laid out in the contract. It also helps in spying on the doings of the other regiments. As it is needed to provide the information that players then act on Intelligence is always spent during the diplomacy phase.

Logistics is what allows a company to field better equipment. Logistics can be used to get discounts on equipment and some types of equipment will require minimum amounts of logistics to even deploy and use.

Diplomacy is something of a catch all stat. Depending on how it used it can increase contract payouts,
    generate favors with the nobility, or even convince an enemy to surrender on the field of battle.

Resources
    In addition to the more permanent quantifiers there are a few resources that are more fluid. The first is
    the overall veterancy of the regiment. Every time a grunt survives a battle it will generate experience
    for the regiment. This is divided by the total number of grunts to generate the overall level of
    veterancy. Veteran grunts are more effective in combat, and can use more effective gear. However new
    recruits will lower the overall score, and grunts dying will reduce the score in proportion to their
    number.

The number of grunts in the regiment and their use is fairly straightforward. In addition to those who
    survive previous turns new grunts can be gotten for free from the recruitment stat or hired from various
    sources. Grunts can then be sent out on contracts to bring in income for the regiment.

Cash is useful and fluid. It is acquired through completing contracts and can be spent to hire more
    grunts, buy new equipment, and curry favor with the nobility. The flipside of cash is favor which is
    harder to acquire, but can be used to hire better grunts and requisition better equipment from more
    prominent sources.

Contracts

In this game the primary action that can be done is to take contracts. Each contract involves sending out grunts and equipment to fulfill a task ranging from basic security work to commando raids on enemy installations. Each contract is broken down into the provider, the rating, and the payout.

The provider of the contract will be one of the major nations or mining guilds. Completing the contract will increase the influence of that nation and the influence of the mercenary group with said nation. Each contract is rated one to five according to their difficulty. With one being low risk security missions and five being effectively a one way trip. Payout is pretty straightforward as it will almost always be some amount of cash. However higher difficulty missions may also pay out favors, equipment, and stats.

In general only the rating and payout will be provided by the employer. More information can be gained by using intelligence. This is cumulative. Using two points of intelligence will give both the enemy numbers and equipment. In addition by using favors or diplomacy an employer can be persuaded to provide their own intelligence on the enemy.

Intelligence Used - Information Provided
    1 - Approximate Enemy Numbers
    2 - Likely Enemy Equipment
    3 - Likely Enemy Experience
    4 - Exact Enemy Numbers
    5 - Exact Enemy Equipment
    6 - Exact Enemy Experience

Each contract has two phases. The first phase tests for completion. Each grunt sent gets to roll a die.
    The result modified by leadership and equipment is compared to a target number determined by the rating. If the modified average of all the grunts manages to beat the number the contract is completed successfully. The second phase is casualties. In this phase the grunts will roll more dice as will any grunts on the enemy side. The results are compared and casualties are inflicted on both sides.

As such it is possible to successfully complete a contract and still have all your grunts die. It is also possible to fail a contract and not lose anyone.

Communications
    Typically messages between mercenaries aren’t very secure. It is taken as a given that any message not specifically encoded will be read by more than just its intended recipient. To counter this one or more points of intelligence can be used to encrypt a series of messages. This will apply for the entire discussion between the involved parties, though each side will have to encrypt its own messages Anyone wishing to read this series must then spend 1 more point to decrypt them than was spent to encrypt them in the first place.

Spoiler: ”The Mercenary Guild”
    Show

Initially formed as a loose fraternity of mercenary commanders who would pass each information and work together the mercenary guild eventually evolved into an organization that provided a variety of useful services to the regiments that purchased membership.

It’s main service is to serve as a central place for mercenary contracts. Employers will issue a contract to the guild for a small surcharge and the guild will then ensure that the word gets out to all the regiments currently looking for work. In addition the guild evaluates the various regiments according to their success rate and reputation so that prospective employers have a better idea of what they are hiring.

In addition the guild serves as a central market in which to recruit new grunts, purchase basic equipment, and make contacts. Although better deals can be found elsewhere the guild market is generally the best new regimental commanders can afford

Spoiler: ”Grunts”
    Show

Street Thugs
    Experience: None
    Cost: 1
    Guild recruiters have little trouble finding people willing to sign on in the crowded and polluted cities of the American continents. For a small fee they can find almost any number of these willing to work for a particular regiment.

Company Toughs
    Experience: Trained
    Cost: 3
    For a slightly higher cost the recruiters can draw on their contacts with the mining guilds to find security personnel and miners who for various reasons want out of their current contracts. Other not specifically trained for combat these grunts have survived living in the wastes for some time and are generally a tougher breed than can be found in the cities.

Veteran Soldiers
    Experience: Veterans
    Cost: 10
    The best source of soldiers are those who have already served a term with one of the various kingdoms. Well trained and blooded in the minor skirmishes the kingdoms are constantly fighting they serve as valuable source of advice for the green recruits that normally fill out a regiment. However if a regiment wants to make a regular practice of hiring such skilled troops they are advised to make their own contacts rather than rely on the expensive skills of the guild recruiters.

Spoiler: ”Logistics Discounts”
    Show

A Bit of Haggling: 1 Logistics
    Effect: A discount of 1 cash on 5 pieces of equipment.
    Quartermasters are experienced in haggling with merchants and talking them down to a more suitable prices. With a bit of work they can get a discount on a wide range of equipment.

Under the Table Deals: 2 Logistics
    Effect: Gain access to purchase of one type of restricted equipment for a turn.
    Experienced quartermasters know the right people to go to for equipment that is more heavily controlled. Although not cheap it can pay off in the long run to equip soldiers with equipment normally reserved for the armies of the world.

A lot of Haggling: 3 Logistics
    Effect: A discount of 2 cash on 5 pieces of equipment.
    Merchants have to eat too, and they will say as much repeatedly and loudly while haggling over the latest crate of combat rifles. The experienced haggler knows this is true, but also where their profit margins actually lay and as such can push them even further down to the break even point.

Off the Back of a Truck: 4 Logistics
    Effect: Gain access to purchase of one type of classified equipment for a turn.
    Senior quartermasters generally come from the kingdom militaries, and often their old friends still serve in those armies. With some old camaraderie and a few favors called in such senior quartermasters can purchase equipment that was destined for even the most exalted of front line combat units.

Master Haggler: 5 Logistics
    Effect: A discount of 3 cash on 5 pieces of equipment
    The ruthless bargainer who is experienced in hundreds of deals can detect weakness in any merchant. Striking aggressively at the inexperienced and offering the hopes of future contracts to the greedy they can move past the profit margins and get equipments at prices that are downright costly to their supplies.

Spoiler: ”Equipment”
    Show

Armor
    Basic Uniforms
    Defense: 1
    Cost: Free
    Typical gear for cannon fodder troops is no more than a thick cloth uniform with leather pads in the most vulnerable positions such as the chest. As it offers almost no protection against modern fire arms nor any protection against the natural hazards of the wastes the best that can be said for it is that it is cheap enough to to have no practical impact on a regiment’s operating expenses.

Civilian Armor
    Defense: 2
    Cost: 1 Cash
    Fortunately for a commander who actually wants their soldiers to come back, but is still concerned about the budget there are other options. The first is a variant of the alchemically treated suits worn by miners. With an additional armor layer and some metal framework it makes a quite adequate suit of armor that protects against Estrada’s Curse and more commonly bullets.

Military Armor
    Defense: 3
    Cost: 4 Cash
    Availability: Restricted
    Unfortunately at its core the most commonly available armor is not much better than the mining suits it was based on. The actual militaries of the world provide their soldiers with something a bit more suited for combat. These armors are made of materials that are both flexible and designed to deflect bullets and shrapnel. With a built in air supply and alchemical filters a soldier can survive on the ground for as long as their rations hold out. Of course such armor isn’t available to just any commander who decides to form a regiment out of the local toughs.

Commando Armor
    Defense: 4
    Cost: 10 Cash
    Availability: Classified
    When cost is no obstacle military supplies can be persuaded to show their top lines of armor. Designed for shock troops and elite commandos these are typically lined with the most advanced alchemical materials to deflect damage of any kind. Not only that, but these come standard with the kind communications and tactical equipment that normal soldiers can only dream of allowing unparalleled maneuverability and cohesion in combat.

Weapons
    Civilian Sidearms
    Offense: 1
    Cost: Free
    Troops expected to die in glorious human wave tactics do not get the best of equipment. They are typically provided a variety of civilian sidearms to give them the illusion of having an effective weapon. In reality however these sidearms are not designed for use in the wastes and are as likely to jam as fire.

Ruggedized Rifles
    Offense: 2
    Cost: 1
    There are quite a few people in the wastes who would prefer to have more reliable weapons, and the need is filled by a number of low cost weapons manufacturers. Available in massive quantities these rifles are generally not particularly accurate or deadly, but they are guaranteed to fire in just about any conditions.

Combat Arms
    Offense: 3
    Cost: 4
    Of course the best equipment is restricted to the kingdom militaries and their sponsored mercenaries. They have developed weapons that are accurate, fast firing, and still capable of working in the transmutative environment of the wastes.

Master Crafted Weapons
    Offense: 4
    Cost: 10
    Availability: Classified
    The master gunsmiths of the world typically only work for the nobility, but for the right price they can be convinced to produce weapons for the more elite of mercenaries. Hand crafted from the finest materials these weapons are so lethal that simply pointing them at the enemy is practically all that is required to ensure a kill.

Vehicles
    Fast Attack Vehicles
    Offense: Special
    Defense: Special
    Cost: 6
    Most mercenary regiments can get their hands on a variety of ground cars, bikes, and steam carts that have been outfitted for combat. In general little more than light frames that have been retrofitted with a minimum of armor these vehicles offer little in the way of protection or additional firepower. Their main use is to get soldiers into and out of combat quickly, and as a side benefit this version of modern cavalry is significantly harder to hit than the slower foot soldiers.

Mobile Fortresses
    Offense: 7
    Defense: 7
    Cost 20
    Small land crawlers outfitted with heavy armor and massive guns are the most potent forces on the battlefield. Nearly impervious to enemy fire and capable of destroying the heaviest concentrations of troops the sight of a mobile fortress is a sight to fear, and a sign that their commanders have committed to winning the fight. The downside is that they occupy the uncomfortable position of being too small to mount Alchemical shields and too large to be rapidly evacuated. As such they are extremely vulnerable to the more terrible manifestations of Estrada’s Curse. This high likelihood of loss combined with the extreme expense and difficulty in acquiring them means that mobile fortresses are relatively rarely deployed.

Specialty
    Camouflaged Armor
    Defense: 2
    Cost: 2
    Most mercenary regiments equip their soldiers with flamboyant uniforms. The better to be seen and inflate their reputations after successful operations. A few however are experimenting with the idea of using quieter armor. This allows them to move in range of the enemy without being spotted and launch devastating surprise attacks. However only experienced soldiers are able to use such armor in an effective manner.

Spoiler: ”Example EoT”
    Show

The Flying Lions - Turn 1
    Recruitment: 4
    Leadership: 3
    Logistics: 3
    Intelligence: 2
    Diplomacy: 3

Grunts: 4
    Veterancy: Trained
    Cash: 0
    Favors: 0
    Equipment: 1 Mobile Fortress, 2 Civilian Armor, 2 Ruggedized Rifles

Logistics
    2 spent to lift restriction on Mobile Fortress during turn.
    1 spent to get discount on Mobile Fortress, Civilian Armor, and Ruggedized Rifles during turn.

Intelligence
    2 Spent to get enemy numbers and equipment for Hevingon Hills contracts

Diplomacy
    3 used to get better relations with House Leon.

Contract: Security for House Leon
    As agreed 2 grunts will provide security for House Leon on their French lands. They are equipped with civilian armor and ruggedized rifles. 1 Leadership sent to provide direction.

Contract: Assault on Hevingon Copper Hills
    1 grunt in mobile fortress dropped on Hevingon Hills to secure the copper deposits for House Leon. 2 Leadership used in the cunning plan we have developed to misdirect the defending forces.

Spoiler: ”Regiment Creation”
    Show

Regiment Name:
    Regiment Commander: (Typically a colonel)
    Regiment Flag:
    Regiment Sponsor: Equipping a new mercenary regiment isn’t cheap. Typically each one is sponsored by a particular country, which provides the initial cadre of officers, airship base, and small starting fund. In return the regiment is expected to accept contracts from the sponsor when they come up.
    Commander’s History: This includes both their background and reason for establishing their mercenary regiment.
    Regiment Statistics: Each regiment starts with 15 points that can be spread between its five stats. No stat can be lower than 1 or higher than 5. The regiment will start with a number of grunts equivalent to its recruitment stat.
    Regiment Equipment: Each regiment starts with 20 cash. This can be spent on equipment or saved for later.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

I am interested and allready got some ideas for a faction.
    Meet the 'Iron Guard', who favor technical advanced gear and highly efficient soilders, but are low on numbes and lack the amount of spies of other factions.

Spoiler: Predicted use of avaible stat-points
    Show
    Low Recruitment to represent the hard drill. Hopefully stops experience from vanishing in the mass.
    High Leadership for the strict chain of command and to give the lower amount of grunts the needed boni to keep them a valid force.
    Low/Medium Intelligence, focused more around tactics and less around spying.
    Medium/High Logistics, a soilder is just as good as his gear.
    Medium Diplomacy, allways good to have some.

Once a recruitment is open, i will enter a more worked out version.
    Replacement Signatur

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Im going to grab a place holder for my Templars here if thats ok. Once the recruitment thread is up ill transfer it

Spoiler: faction stats
    Show

Recruitment: 3

Leadership:4

Intelligence:3

Logistics:3

Diplomacy:2

Cash 20

Last edited by cybric; 2017-01-13 at 04:18 PM.

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #119

OldWizardGuy

I've got an idea for the Toronto Hogriders as well....

Spoiler: Planned Stats
    Show

Recruitment 3
    Leadership 2
    Intelligence 4
    Logistics 4
    Diplomacy 1
    Cash 20 (most will be spent on weapons and bikes)

Overall, a light and fast moving outfit with criminal connections and origins, but that means they know the lay of the land, and how to supply themselves. More then willing to do the dirty work of the Canadian government, or the British, though they themselves are almost a culture of their own.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

By the way, can we use logistic-actions in a turn zero?
    I was thinking if we could buy restricted and/or reduced Equipmet in the creation of the regiment, as long as we got the logistic to suport it ike in a regular turn. (If not, buying in the creation-phase would be a bit pointless)

Also, what starting-experience do our grunts got, since our first troops are comming from the gouverment. Or are they plain, forcerecruited/freewilled/enter way of accisiton/ low quality Grunts?
    Replacement Signatur