The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Total War Central IV (Semi-freeform nation games)

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneStomper View Post
    I don't know. On the setting side the only unique part is really just an excuse to have every type of mythological create, god, and faction fight each other. And on the mechanics side there are a lot of different things going on. It works with a computer to handle the bookkeeping, but even then the learning curve is steep. I would not want to handle all that stuff as a GM.
    Well, I'm not talking trying to one to one it, it's magic stuff for instance is insanely complex, but can be summed up with the age old magic stat and just let the player theme it, the variety of units and such would be easy to sum up between magic, faith/religion, and military. The final part would be a VIP system where everyone gets one beefed up VIP that has far reaching effects. While the setting seems like that it, it has a huge indepth lore behind it, including the rise and fall of nations (Ermor for instance going from being hopeful after the death of their messiah and the introduction of a new faith, to releasing death itself and becoming an endless horde of hateful dead, followed by the dead withering away and leaving only the spirits of dead legions, unable or unwilling to go where they should an instead continue to slaughter the living). That's just summing it up, though yes, I agree, it would take some work, I've dealt with and seen worse be dealt with, so it's possible.
    Fly away from worries you don't want them again, I can feel the time to live.
    Get away from stories with pros and cons to weight up, I can feel the time to share.

2. - Top - End - #152

Quote Originally Posted by Durmatagno View Post

Either one could be adapted with just a little work, hence my sudden ramble. Also because I was envious of the players that joined the game linked above while I was entirely unable to :P
    Well, after turn one, as always I have two-three players who did't post or send EoT.. so if you still want to join and are able to, just send me PM. It's beginning of turn 2, so you won't be behind.
    Last edited by Madwand; 2017-07-25 at 09:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
    Well, after turn one, as always I have two-three players who did't post or send EoT.. so if you still want to join and are able to, just send me PM. It's beginning of turn 2, so you won't be behind.
    No internet till August, I just spend about two or three days a week at the library for the time being to compensate
    Fly away from worries you don't want them again, I can feel the time to live.
    Get away from stories with pros and cons to weight up, I can feel the time to share.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Just an interest check, I'm thinking of running a fairly small scale game focused on different factions competing over control of a fantasy metropolis after-something-happens to the formal government (blame too much Blades in the Dark and a podcast on the Revolutions of 1848). I haven't really decided on much of the setting yet-the weirdness level could go anywhere from Dunwall to Ravnica to New Crobuzon.

Statwise would probably be the basics-wealth, military (representing thugs and militias more than any sort of standing army), espionage and morale. I'm tempted to split magic between a sort of sparkcraft/magitech stat for reliable, industrial stuff and a magic proper state for eldritch rituals and invoking powers beyond mortal ken.

But yeah, the idea interest anyone off hand?
    Last edited by St.Just; 2017-08-19 at 08:32 PM.
    This land is not less green and not less good;
    Its fruits have not grown sour or more rare
    And yet I see no beauty where I should
    And little to lose, if I should only dare

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Da Madcrag Trolls shall rise again for that one! Seriously, I can go for a bunch of sewer/ruin dwelling trolls that with the collapse of the government... are violently lobbying for rights! For freedom! To not be hunted down and killed for their loots!
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

6. - Top - End - #156

HalfOrcPirate

Im loving nation style games so id be in. Looking to go high on the weird scale depending on the setting. Cultists or high eco vamp bank could be fun.

7. - Top - End - #157

DruidGuy

Would totally be down for a small scale city game like that. Thinking a biomancer guild/religion combo that specializes in grafts and biotech of various kinds.

8. - Top - End - #158

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by n0ble View Post
    Would totally be down for a small scale city game like that. Thinking a biomancer guild/religion combo that specializes in grafts and biotech of various kinds.
    I hate you for having such a cool idea.

9. - Top - End - #159

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gawwy View Post
    I hate you for having such a cool idea.
    Aheh, thanks! I'm thinking something Hellraiser-meets-Simic Combine (from MTG's Ravnica setting) in terms of beliefs.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Alright, so there's at least a bit of interest then! I'll start working on the recruitment thread tomorrow most likely.

Setting wise, I'm kind of torn on what the city should be, exactly-a city state, the capital of powerful kingdom in the middle of some acute crisis*, or the crown jewel/colony/second city of a decaying empire?

*Like, "Russia in 1917" acute.

11. - Top - End - #161

OldWizardGuy

Lets go the capital of an decaying empire, currently rocked by a Russian level upheaval. Lots of opportunities that way :)

By the way, will base my factions magic off the Conan RPG's sorcery, mainly in how I describe it... and for the general shamanistic tone/feel. Dark and bloody to be sure, but still, will aim to be... apparently primitive.
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Or, well, short blurbs off the top of my head to provide a bit more detail. Certainly not wedded to them, if none appeal.

City State
    It's not the center of the world, though at one time it might have been, and a dozen warlords would love to claim it as their capital. Perfectly positioned as a hub of global trade and filled with millennia of forbidden secrets, only the Lord Protector's studious neutrality and brutal repression have allowed its merchants to grow fat and happy while the world slides towards war. Of course, no one has seen His Highness in weeks-and while the secret police and enforcers are as brutal as ever, the silence from the Palace-and the disappearance of every messenger sent inside-has set things rapidly spiraling.

Jewel of the Empire
    Things are falling apart, everyone knows it. With the newest call for half the garrison to travel to the front and die in a trench for Her Oceanic Majesty (her regents, anyway), even the Viceroy has started talking about home rule and appointed some reliable families to important offices. It's not even enough to fool anyone-the countryside is in open revolt, tax collectors and recruiting sergeants don't travel in anything less than platoons, and the forbidden cults and revolutionary cells are spending more time fighting for positioning in the shadows than worrying about the police. Everyone's just waiting for one spark.

Capital
    The King-Emperor is the great man to have been born. He has worn the faces of a hundred generations' greatest heroes, and bound a thousand nations and a dozen gods to his will. That's what the censors and police-spies allow to be said of him, anyway. Now he's dead, his corpse frozen in an empty field and his spirit broken and bound by a whole fraternity of Efficate soulwrights. Not that anyone knows that yet-all the inhabitants of his heaven-on-earth know is all his bindings and pacts died with him, and a great many things are seeking their pounds of flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmatt View Post
    By the way, will base my factions magic off the Conan RPG's sorcery, mainly in how I describe it... and for the general shamanistic tone/feel. Dark and bloody to be sure, but still, will aim to be... apparently primitive.
    Right, that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind for the Magic stat-dark and bloody, elaborate and expensive rituals help but aren't strictly necessarily, but shamanistic in a very real sense-when you try and pull of something big, it's not so much an industrial project as a negotiation with something out there with it's own personality and desires.

13. - Top - End - #163

OldWizardGuy

I'm liking them somewhat.

Also, sort of what I meant, but also in the Conan RPG sense, if you need to pull something big off magically, and even a small thing would require the expenditure of carefully hoarded power, you would likely need to take several doses of exotic drugs made from eldritch plants that feed on blood and souls and then offer up several victims in a great sacrifice of prolonged torture, bleeding every last drop from them as you shape and chant words that were never meant for human mouths... words that writhe and lash out, clawing and shrieking, gouging out bloody gibbets.

Still, shall work on making a faction of trolls as an ancient pre-human race, long fallen from their days of ancient glory, and left as only echo of a whisper of a shadow of their former glory. And yet, they shall still be steeped in ancient black lore they have preserved, in hideous secrets and truths so terrible as to be rejected by reality. After all, sanity is but a recent and fleeting thing, a mask placed on the ignorant to try and blind them from the truth... a cage to prevent them from devouring the screaming little children alive.....

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, in Jewel of the Empire I'd definitely be loyalists. In City State, probably revolutionaries. I don't like the Capital so much.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by St.Just View Post
    (...)
    But yeah, the idea interest anyone off hand?
    If you are going with split magic idea (or any magic at all), I would love to play ritualists calling upon forbidden lore. I like Jewel of the Empire the most and if we go with it, I will base the cult on Hindu demonology.
    Last edited by Madwand; 2017-08-20 at 08:38 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Alright, from general reception seems like Jewel of the Empire is what we're going with.

I'll start writing up the recruitment when I'm home. Also see if I resist calling it 'Bright Lights, Burning City'.
    Also, sort of what I meant, but also in the Conan RPG sense, if you need to pull something big off magically, and even a small thing would require the expenditure of carefully hoarded power, you would likely need to take several doses of exotic drugs made from eldritch plants that feed on blood and souls and then offer up several victims in a great sacrifice of prolonged torture, bleeding every last drop from them as you shape and chant words that were never meant for human mouths... words that writhe and lash out, clawing and shrieking, gouging out bloody gibbets.

Still, shall work on making a faction of trolls as an ancient pre-human race, long fallen from their days of ancient glory, and left as only echo of a whisper of a shadow of their former glory. And yet, they shall still be steeped in ancient black lore they have preserved, in hideous secrets and truths so terrible as to be rejected by reality. After all, sanity is but a recent and fleeting thing, a mask placed on the ignorant to try and blind them from the truth... a cage to prevent them from devouring the screaming little children alive.....
    Just going to lean into the low rep score, huh?

17. - Top - End - #167

OldWizardGuy

I'm playing an ancient pre-human race of black sorcerers. Reputation? They will take fear and horror in their place, as they wrack the lands above.....

And actually looking to inhabit ruins under the city... ruins they had built, in an age long past.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Alright, don't suppose anyone would like to volunteer help in coming up with some neighborhood/district names? At the moment they're mostly a rather uninspiring mix of Blades in the Dark and Dragon Age 2.

Anyway, post's coming apace. Should have it done by late tonight or tomorrow.

19. - Top - End - #169

OldWizardGuy

Overall, I would say that you could have an Undercity District. Still, I'd say come up with about five or six districts, and then have those divided into smaller areas inside of them. A Craftsman's District, Trade District, Temple District, Docks, University District (with University of the Unseen and the Grand Academy being two possible neighborhoods), Military District, Slums, Low Town, High Town and Foreigners Quarter.

And of course, the Undercity, with the Catacombs (located under the Temple District), Smugglers Tunnels (Trade and Craftsman's Districts), and then various ruins and caves areas. Including...

The Abyssal Depths, a ruin that predates the merely human construction around and above it, located deep below the University District. Here, the ruins are sized for figures of great size, with strange carvings, that even now, seem to twist and writhe, bleeding and changing in the corner of a foolish explorers eye. But there are things down here, strange sounds and chanting, and few that come this far ever return to the surface, alive or sane.

20. - Top - End - #170

HalfOrcPirate

How many quarters are we looking at? And should we assume it was mostly humanish names or a boiling pot of civilized high fantasy races naming things?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by gawwy View Post
    How many quarters are we looking at? And should we assume it was mostly humanish names or a boiling pot of civilized high fantasy races naming things?
    Oh, melting pot, though primarily human (specifically a mix of pseudo-British and pseudo-South Asian).

I actually have the districts worked out, I just really need better names. Provisionally 7 in total

Whitecrown?-Home of the Viceroy's palace, the city's Cathedral, and the estates and offices of high officials, merchant magnates, rajahs and princes, along with the staff and merchants that serve them.

The International Quarter-Originally the trading post of the South Chausam Trading Company before it seized the city, it's since grown into a mixture of foreign quarter and export market. Anything from anywhere can be found here, for the right price. And if you ask the right way, you can talk to just about anyone as well.

The Grand Bazaar?: The city stands at the terminus of the largest river system on the continent, and gods know how many overland trade routes besides, and they all meet and mingle here. Besides trade goods (not least of which the city's food supply), invaluable information on the ongoing rebellions in the interior can be much more easily acquired here.

The Foundries?: Industry never really got the support or sponsorship to flourish here, but as the war progressed more and more sharp minds considered the benefits of a second manufacturing base, beyond the reach of enemy mortars or saboteurs. The new factories have not attracted the best or brightest, but they have a surplus of those who consider themselves visionaries or ahead of the curve.

The Academy???: The only officially recognized University on the continent, the Academy's alumni dominate the lower ranks of offialdom and provide most of the city's jurists and clerks. The district that has grown around it is dominated by the split between the staid, loyalist middle class and the increasingly radical politics popular among the students. The legendary University libraries do not do much to defuse the situation among those who know about some of the older rituals within.

Riverside?: Long ago, the river Desoi was said to have miraculous healing properties, but those have long since been isolated into tinctures and balms by imperial alchemists. Now respectable citizens use the vast bridges arching overhead to avoid ever descending down into the cesspool of sin at the river's edge. The only ones who dwell here are those exiled form the rest of the city-butchers, tanners, toxic alchemical foundries and fleshcrafters, along with those unfortunates whose heritage or history leaves them unwelcome anywhere else. (The things living in the water aren't people. Yet, anyway).

Lowtown?: Spilling down from the port and trading districts are the tenements and shantytowns where the majority of the populace actually lives. The economy here is small scale and artisanal, or else dominated by clans and extended families that verge on becoming syndicates. Vice and poverty abound, but the authorities do not even pretend to care what happens as long as taxes are paid and there are no fires or riots.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Overall, I would say that you could have an Undercity District. Still, I'd say come up with about five or six districts, and then have those divided into smaller areas inside of them. A Craftsman's District, Trade District, Temple District, Docks, University District (with University of the Unseen and the Grand Academy being two possible neighborhoods), Military District, Slums, Low Town, High Town and Foreigners Quarter.

And of course, the Undercity, with the Catacombs (located under the Temple District), Smugglers Tunnels (Trade and Craftsman's Districts), and then various ruins and caves areas. Including...
    My only real worry with the Undercity is that I intend to actually make a map out, and figuring out which Undercity territory can reach which normal territories and vice versa sounds kind of hellish.

That said, excellent write up for a starting territory, which you are all going to need!

23. - Top - End - #173

OldWizardGuy

Eh, so just have the Undercity be a district, and have each of it's neighborhoods be linked to a specific one above. All about properly layering the map, but can see the issue there :P

Really, if you do a grid thing, have the surface as S, and the undercity as U, with everything else being the same. That, or the 'undercity' basically is under most of the actual aboveground city, with no real single path in or out. But then again, that's only if you want to go three dimensional :P

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Recruitment's Up!. Please say if I've missed something obvious or vital

Eh, so just have the Undercity be a district, and have each of it's neighborhoods be linked to a specific one above. All about properly layering the map, but can see the issue there :P

Really, if you do a grid thing, have the surface as S, and the undercity as U, with everything else being the same. That, or the 'undercity' basically is under most of the actual aboveground city, with no real single path in or out. But then again, that's only if you want to go three dimensional :P
    Seeing, 'layering' and 'grids' are rather more elaborate than I was hoping to have to go

I'd almost think that rather than a unified Undercity it might be easier to have separate underground/hidden territories attached to different parts of the city without any necessary connection between them?

25. - Top - End - #175

OldWizardGuy

More then works, with some being of course, more extensive then others. Still, attached to surface territories, though separate from them, would likely work for the best. Then again, your game, so your choice there :P

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

Very excited to play with you St. Just, it looks fantastic thus far. Does anyone have a thread they can post here so I can see examples of good play in this kind of game (thread to a well played IC game)

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the below is one of the best Total Wars I think we've ever had, and it has a lot of similarities with this game:

Total War: Broken City.
    Part One
    Part Two
    Part Three.

As you can see, these games tend to run for quite a while.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Psycho View Post
    Well, the below is one of the best Total Wars I think we've ever had, and it has a lot of similarities with this game:

Total War: Broken City.
    Part One
    Part Two
    Part Three.

As you can see, these games tend to run for quite a while.
    Oh wow, I would have thought those threads were long gone by now.

Yes, a nontrivial amount of this is inspired by my vague half-memories of that game (which was what, five years, four computers, and one forum account ago for me).
    Last edited by St.Just; 2017-08-25 at 08:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

For a while, we had a Hipchat for the Total War community. I created a Discord server for us to restart it in a better platform here. Anyone's welcome to join.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

highly recommended, and would love to see more kinds of these games. They have been amazing so far!