The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Total War Central IV (Semi-freeform nation games)

Have some free time coming up at the end of the month, and am thinking that I may try and run something again. Been making plenty of setting notes, so if there are some people around... well, shall be posting more in the upcoming weeks.

Also, hi ya'll, been a while and hope you've been having fun
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Ohhh! I'm super down for a TW game right now! Got some free time and a hankering for Strategy!

What setting? Fantasy? Sci-fi? Modern?
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

ďWhy would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?Ē - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

Summery of the Total War Hanrui game I ran.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to Ceika for my awesome Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Haven't been here for a long time but I might be able to play
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Consider me tentatively interested. Iím still waiting to see how my work schedule shapes up in the next few weeks, so Iím hesitant to commit to too many games... but I miss TW. I would love to play a more Ďclassicí game.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Ironfang Invasion (DM)
    - Darkest Dusk (Whisper)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'd be very interested as well.
    IT's been quite some time, and there's definitely an itch.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

I am currently running a space opera total war if anyone is interested in joining midgame.

OOC Thread
    IC Thread

7. - Top - End - #217

OldWizardGuy

Would like to apologize for the delays, work has been a pain in the rumpus.

That said, for the most part its a mixture of post-apoc/modern, taking place in a single city and the area around it. I may have lost the map and setting notes. but here are some of the details.

There will be a stat cap that capturing territory will increase. Some areas will provide additional bonuses. When starting off, you will have to divide your special stat between territory, VIP's (and the first VIP is your faction leader) and Relics. The map is divided into three levels (Upper, Central and Lower) with tunnels connecting them. There are a few little plots in the works. Each faction will have a public agenda and up to three private agendas (think of them like quests, with completion goals and rewards) that can be uncovered. Agendas amount to a short sentence and the public one is meant to be what the other factions think your goals are... and yes, Secretive/Hidden Agenda is valid, as is Remain in the Shadows.

Each faction, before we start, will need to send me a message saying what they are up to as of the start of the game.

Will have more in a few days, when I get some free time!
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

Heya Arcane, I could reprise control over my faction right now. Suppose it will be somewhat underdeveloped at this point, but whatevs.
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Heya Arcane, I could reprise control over my faction right now. Suppose it will be somewhat underdeveloped at this point, but whatevs.
    Sure you're welcome back. The most significant change is that the Duchy of Lyrae entered and Enemy Mine situation with House Jinks in order to defend the Imperium against a massive invasion of aliens.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sounds interesting, Warmatt! I already have a couple ideas...

11. - Top - End - #221

OldWizardGuy

Yeah, just remaking the notes and map, will freely admit that I'm using some of my old dream bunker designs.

Still, central is where the main political, domestic and commercial areas are. The Lower Areas are the mining, agricultural and industrial areas. The Upper Reaches will be where the big religious and scientific features will be. Each of the levels has a number of Wards, divided into Zones... and why yes, you will get a bonus for complete control of a Ward that is themed for said ward.

Still, will put up a thread in hopefully by next weekend.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Welcome back Andre! Looking forward to see a post from the Duchy of Lyrae / House Kelse. Zaqaru sent a message this turn! Arcanestomper replied, but feel free to continue the conversation.

To the others reading this, Arcanestomper is hosting a lovely feudal space opera total war game where Dukes plot and act, with an alien swarm of Vespids now assaulting the Imperium!

Warmatt, good luck with developing and starting your game! I'm too preoccupied with Arcanestomper's game so won't join, but interested to see your take.

13. - Top - End - #223

OldWizardGuy

So, did not have the free time I was expecting this week. Still, got some work done as far as maps go (finished the lower level and halfway done central), and have a brief little blurb for the lower levels!

Spoiler: Total War; Sunken City Lower Levels
    Show

Overseers Ward [+5 DESP, +10 ESP when reading messages inside the Lower Levels]
    1) Lower Overseers Zone One, also known as the Upwards Zone, is home to the lifts and main tunnels that lead up into the city, away from the areas that involve manual labor. Those that call this place home tend to work as managers and supervisors as well as attend to the needs of those looking to visit the lower levels of the city.

2) Lower Overseers Zone Two, informally known as the Smokeseers Zone, concerns itself primarily with the mining and industrial wards. They keep the records and are responsible for setting the quotas and allocating resources to those wards, as well as making sure the workers remain compliant.

3) Lower Overseers Zone Three is officially a Temple of Souls holding. Housing the Vault of Soul Stones, its purpose is the defense and collection of Soul Stones as bodies come in for processing. It is also rumored to house a chapter of Inquisitors.

4) Lower Overseers Zone Three is the Lower Green Zone. Those housed inside of its walls are charged with managing the Lower Residential Ward (a slum) as well as the Agricultural and Wilderness Reserve Wards. Which is to say, to keep the workers of the lower levels productive and pacified and the upper levels fed.

Mining Ward [+5 ECON, +20 ECON cap]
    1) The Smelters are where the various ores and material come to be processed before shipment to the Industrial Ward to the south.

2-4) Each of the mining zones have tunnels and mine shafts that lead beyond the boundaries of the city, as miners head out to haul back the minerals that keep the city in good repair. Zone 2 seems to have a number of quarries, Zone three industrial metals and zone 4 luxury metals and gemstones.

Industrial Ward [+15 ECON]
    1) The Metalworks, where the majority of the industrial metal goods are made.

2) The Stoneworks, where stone is cut and fashioned into more usable products.

3) The Recycling Center, where trash is taken to be recycled into organic or inorganic forms, to be made useful once more. Also handles the sewers.

4) The Graveworks, where the bodies of the dead, once their Soul Stones have been removed, are taken to be processed, their chemicals to be put to the cities use.

5) The Chemyards, where the majority of the cities chemical products are fashioned.

6) The Lumberyard, where wood products from the forestry zone are made into luxury goods for the upper city.

7) The Stockyards, where the animal and plant products of the agricultural ward are taken to be processed and packaged, before shipment.

Lower Residential Ward [Special Recruitment Options]
    1) Right next to the Overseers Ward, the first zone is for the well off, and holds various Inns, Hotels and Taverns, as well as upper middleclass housing for those in lower management positions that are not administrative in nature.

2) The Blacklung Zone, most of the people here work in the mines. Its a quiet zone, with a few small time criminals, mainly centered around providing luquid relief to the hard worker men and women who are born here... and will likely die working the mines.

3) Clocktown as the locals call it is a zone of routine, as they head to the factories that their parents and grandparents worked at, as the money never seems to be enough to send their children to the Overseer School, instead taking them along to give their children on the job training from an early age.

4) Shadowrim is a prison, plain and simple. Troublemakers who are not extreme enough to warrent death are thrown in, because the only sentence is a life sentence. The only time guards enter is to retrieve a corpse, to process the spirit stone.

5) The Ranchers Zone is a happy enough place. Run down and rustic, it boosts a large number of chicken and rabbit coops, along with garden plots. Not authorized, but as long as the overseers take their cut or don't find out, well, regulations are flexible.

Agricultural Ward [+5 ECON, +10 MOR, +5 REP]
    1 & 3) Devoted to grains, fruits and vegetables
    2 & 4) Chicken, Sheep, Goats and Rabbits are the main livestock raised here, along with a small number of horses and cattle.
    5) The Fish Farms are where the cities fish related products, along with clams, seaweed, muscles, shellfish and pearls are produced.
    6) The Tended Wood is where the forestry take places, along with the care of bees.

The Wilderness Ward/Preserve [+5 MOR, +???]
    1) The Lakes are a series of artificial fresh and saltwater water bodies that are meant to host beaches, along with examples of aquatic life.
    2) Northwood is as far as climate goes, a boreal forest
    3) The amazon is a take away from the Amazon Rain forest
    4) Gloomwood is it now known is a strange section of the forest preserve, almost always shrouded in night, and strictly forbidden to casual visitors. Rumors abound that various religious groups, as well as the Church of Souls hold a vested interest in maintaining the quarantine.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sounds a bit like Fallout with some fantasy Elements.

15. - Top - End - #225

OldWizardGuy

Was actually inspired by Numera. Did not read too much of the setting, but will just say that it was an inspiration.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

How far in the future is the game set? Is is set on earth? Might be interesting to get a feeling how grounded in the present or how mystic factions are supposed to be.

17. - Top - End - #227

OldWizardGuy

The location and time are setting mysteries, there for you to uncover the secrets of the past if you try and delve into them, but in any case who says that in the future, we shall keep climbing, and that there may not be a fall, a seed surviving, and yet, this only a seed.

Now, as far as the general level of technology goes, early industrial revolution would be a good place for what the bulk of people actually understand. There may be relics kept by some factions of greater mystery and power, knowing how to maintain them by rote and the handing down of mystical instructions, but to actually make them anew? No, the feats of the ancestors are beyond them, for the soul-stones of such ancients were corrupted or destroyed in ages past.

Spoiler: Mystically....
    Show

The setting has full knowledge that the soul exists, housed inside the organ known as the soul-stone. This organ, which forms shortly after birth, grows along with the body until maturity. If the person is slain before then, their soul is not fully developed and they are damaged, broken and often with bits and pieces of their memory lost. From time uncounted has the Temple of Souls made it their solemn duty to collect the soul-stones of the fallen, to place them inside the Vault of Souls, where they can then venture into the Spirit Realm, where they will remain for the rest of time.

Those in the temple of souls can, at properly consecrated altars, call forth the spirits of the dead, and it is possible to visit the dead in the spirit realm by those who practice the deeper mysteries. But there are areas of the spirit realm that are dark are terrible places, places of punishment and despair for the sins they had committed in their earthly life, though even the Infernal Wardens of such places care far more for the duty and task of purifying these lost souls than damning fresh ones to their care.

But demons exist. Creatures who lost their soul in life, they hunger for a soul to fill the void. Aching hollow creatures, in times past they preyed on the weak, whispering and taking the flesh of the living, where they would then devour their very souls, tainting the soul-stone with their presence. Soon, the mortal shell will be worn by a creature that can fake the memories of the one whose body it is wearing. And of course, slaying the body of the demon does not kill it, where things only so simple.

Demons are creatures of spirit. As they lack a soul stone, they lack an anchor and the longer they go without a host the less coherent and rational they are, they cannot be slain in the physical world, being expelled back into the spirit world with the destruction of their stolen soul stone. It takes following them into the spirit realm to slay them, to end their corruption and blasphemy entirely.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm pondering running a TW game with oceania & Island tribes feel.

After the Age of Ancient Men ended, for a long time it was the Age of Gods. But with each passing year, the quarrels between the Gods grew louder and louder. Your ancestors left the Old Sea, to settle in the Middle Sea, ravaged by storms, monsters and wicked spirits, but far enough from the Isle of Gods, not to be caught in their strife. One Moonless Night, your Dreamers have stalked the dream of Gods and saw a great quarrel between them, until one God fell into the ocean. Terrified, they informed Priests, so the Priests performed many auguries and in all of them, they saw a great catastrophe. Priests have called upon the protection of your Island God. They have led all tribesmen in sacred dances and sacrificed all of the tribeís treasures, until Island God manifested on the shores of the Island as a great giant and faced the direction of the Island of Gods. There, on the horizon, a grand wave rolled, as high as the sky, unstoppable and powerful beyond imagination. In itís waters roiled the dead spirits of the ancient men, roused from the ocean depths. In its wake flown wicked spirits, delighting in the chaos it caused. In its essence was divine power of the fallen god. It hit your island and most of your tribe was swept away. Never have you witnessed such devastation and it was fortunate that the wave took much of the memories of that night, for it might have driven you mad to remember. Still, in that horrible night, your Island God managed to protect some of you, before falling asleep, exhausted of all its power.

The next morning the survivors have seen your island ravaged, your village destroyed and even memories of the past stripped away. All currents in the ocean waters have changed, dangerous things have risen from the ocean and the world was different in many strange ways. For months your tribe has barely endured, half-starved, sickly and scared. But last night the priests have managed to raise your Island God from its slumber. Though severely weakened, its gifts once more empower your tribe. The Great Gods remain, but they have grown reserved and restrained, the world is no longer their plaything. A new Age dawns - will your tribe survive it? Will your name be remembered forever in itís legends? Or will you share the fate of the ancient men, forgotten deep below, as your Island is claimed by the ocean?

Premise
    The players will play as a Tribe in the world, where almost all of the land has sunk below ocean waters. The remaining islands are kept above by the will of the Gods and powerful spirits. Your tribe will face storms and curses, but your greatest enemy would be hunger. Secure sources of food in competition with other tribes. Explore islands in twelve Seas, discover their resources, find allies and trade with others. Empower your Island God and sacrifice to Great Gods to gain power of their miracles. Uncover secrets of the Archipelago. Perform great deeds and establish your superiority before other tribes.

Island & Island God
    All tribes live on Islands, maintained by Island God. If you successfully empower your Island God, he or she will raise more land from the ocean and provide various blessings. Each Tribe has a unique Island God, with different character.

Great Gods & Blessings
    While technology level is pretty much stone age, the Tribes can benefit from powerful magic of the Great Gods - as long as they are pleased by your sacrifices.

Gameplay
    Tribes will have Villagers that will harvest resources, build and support Castes. The majority of actions will be performed by Tribeís castes - Priests, Warriors, Dreamers (essentially Espionage stat), Traders, Sailors & Craftsmen.

1 Villager harvests 1 Resource
    5 Villagers build 1 Building
    6 Villagers automatically ďproduceĒ 1 Villager at the end of the turn
    1 Craftsman turns 1 Resources into 1 Equipment
    Warriors protect tribe and villagers gathering resources, raid other Tribes, fight monsters, etcÖ
    Priests sacrifice to gods, purify evil spirits, study divine miracles, empower paragons
    Dreamers collect information about the world & act as free thinkers/creative class of the tribe
    Traders act as diplomats, discover useful resources and arrange barter
    Sailors discover new Islands & seas, fight maritime menaces, protect fishers
    Paragons - heroes of the tribe, used for diplomacy or to assist actions, each tribe starts with 3

Spoiler: World Seas
    Show

All player Tribes start in one of the four seas of Middle Sea Region.

Outer Seas Region
    The Outer Seas are located on the edges of the world. They have been dangerous to navigate, even by the sailors of the old Tribes, before the Godsplash. In the west is the Sea of Storms, from which all the Storms arrive to the world. In the east is a Sea of Dreams, a strange and haunting place.

Middle Sea Region
    The Middle Sea used to be far flung colonies of the old Tribes. They were far enough from the Godsplash to survive, though the Wave has carried away much. Middle Sea is divided into four directions - North West, North East, South West and South East. Perhaps with time, new names will be given to these seas. It is mostly safe sea to navigate, except for the Storm Season, when the storms from the Outer Seas arrive, but their location was lost.

There are four grand currents that lead from the Middle Seas to the Old Sea, safely past the dangers of the Inner Seas.

Inner Seas Region
    The Inner Seas are called Red, Green, Dark and Silver. They are full of peril and danger - none risk entering them, for fear of death. The Red Sea is full of volcanic islands and itís waters are hot and steamy. The Green Sea is called so because of the kelp, that covers most of its surface. The Dark Sea is rumored to be the deepest one in the world and plagued by curses. The Silver Sea is concealed by a wall of mist, that make navigation all, but impossible.

Old Sea Region
    The majority of the old Tribes used to live in the Old Sea, far from the storms of the Outer Seas and as close as possible to the Gods. But Godsplash destroyed all those Islands - or so you believe.

Godís Eye Region
    In the center of the world is Sea of Gods. The high priests of all tribes are granted divine protection to visit it via currents, hidden from everybody by gods. There, in the center of Sea of Gods, sits Island of Gods. What happens there is known only to high priests and they abide by the oaths of silence.

Spoiler: Great Gods
    Show

Tamihira of Ocean
    Tamihira commands the power of waves, ocean currents and itís depths. He is also called Whalefather, father of all whales. He is calm god, who weighs all things, before acting.

Rengu of Vulcans
    Rengu is god of earth and fire. He is a brash god, with hot temper, who respects courage and action. Rengu often meddles in the affairs of men. He is generous to those who prove themselves worthy, but hard on those cowardly and weak. Rengu is a rival to Urgo of Dreams.

Semiramis of Sky
    Semiramis is goddess of sky, flighty and mercurial. She is curious, but her interest in mortal affairs can wane quickly, if they prove dull. Semiramis is patron of all birds and they in turn serve the sky goddess.

Humia of Life
    Humia is goddess of life and plants. She is single-minded in making sure life spreads and grows. She can however be merciless, believing in the survival of the fittest, as she has no patience for those who stop struggling.

Tahiso of Storms
    Tahiso is a powerful god, who lives far west, in the Sea of Storms. He is an aloof loner, who seldom speaks with men or gods. His storms spare no one and he does not care for the destruction they wreak.

Urgo of Dreams
    Urgo is a strange god, walking the dreams and islands in guise of man. He revels in tricking mortals, but also rewards those who can see through his deceptions.

One Below of Undying
    The god who fell into the ocean. He is dead, yet the gods canít die. No one remembers his name. His existence is a curse and those who sacrifice to him, often ask for his curse to afflict their enemies.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Nice, I'm interested.

20. - Top - End - #230

NecromancerGuy

Ooo Iím liking the sound of this one! For some reason, Iím thinking industrialists who donít care much for the dreams there shamans used to have. Sorta like the fire nation....

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Stone age industrialists?
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2019-09-16 at 07:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

The world isnít exactly predisposed to industrial revolution - apart from the state of the tribes after terrible catastrophe, the islands are lacking in metals or coal. There will be crafting and having better equipment, then other Tribes is of Course a good idea.

If you are going for Fire Nation look, you can also achieve it by making an appropriate Island God and then focusing on worship of Rengu. If your priests study his miracles and you get enough favor with him, your tribe can pretty much gain something like ďfirebendingĒ. Which could potentially be harnessed in divine-powered tech.

A Tribe that rejects Gods will be at a disadvantage, since you wonít have access to their divine magic and they might not like you. But that energy and effort could potentially be channeled into attempts at technological innovation. And there might be situations where having a different perspective on the world would be beneficial.

23. - Top - End - #233

NecromancerGuy

I really like the sound of playing the faction who rejects the gods and instead seek to be the masters of there own destiny, not chained to the yoke of the wills of the diving beings! I think that could be a very interesting flavor to try...

Would that be done by basically not having any priests? And relying on different avenues of discovery, like by craftsman and sailors?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

You may consider having Priests even without worship of Great Gods. Your tribe can for example venerate your deceased ancestors or you may find priests useful in protecting your tribe against evil spirits & curses. Long term, your goal may be to sail to the Isle of Gods and give them a piece of your mind. Though first, your tribe would need to acquire a lot of power and renown.

Iíd say every tribe should consider having at least 1 member of every caste - or youíd need to rely on trade with other tribes & accept having some vulnerabilities. But you can choose the status of your castes - rulers, elites and professionals. So in your tribe, priests would likely be professional caste - above villagers, but otherwise without any special privileges.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm opening recruitment thread.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

If anyone is interested I am rerecruiting for TW: Imperium here