New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 1001 Worthless Magic Items/Devices! (For Fun)

437) Wand of Teddy Bear: Summons a teddy bear to fight for you. Teddy bear has 1 hp, does no damage, and pretty much just stays there
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

438 The ring of fire. Any meat stew consumed by the wearer is transmuted into mutton vindaloo.

439. Boots of catlike tread: if the wearer encounters a locked door they will feel a compulsion to try to go through it. If another party member opens said door the wearer will immediately change their mind.
    Last edited by Mister Tom; 2016-03-16 at 03:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Tom View Post
    438 The ring of fire. Any meat stew consumed by the wearer is transmuted into mutton vindaloo.
    440) Ring of Fire, other: Turns into the Johnny Cash song of the same name
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Courtsey of the Campaign Quotes thread

441) Earmuffs of Assumption: Any female voices of pain will be assumed by the wearer to be sounds of labor. Make a DC 10 Will save to avoid trying to help the 'pregnant' woman.

442) Belt of Opening: Can cast knock three times a day, but only on itself. The command word is "Behold!"
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-03-17 at 08:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

443) Mask of Alliteration: Wearer can only speak in alliterations

444) Ring of Salvation: Every time the wearer gets into a conflict, no matter how large, a 20th level paladin will rush in on a horse and save the wearer. It may sound incredibly useful, until you realize that you will never earn XP or gold by killing monsters again. It will also be impossible for adventures to go anywhere

445) Glasses of Intelligence: The glasses are magically imbued with an IQ of 250. That's it

6. - Top - End - #216
    Pixie in the Playground

Ring of Invisibility
    made of common materials and of no intrinsic value, when worn the ring itself becomes invisible

Spectacles of Appearance Detection
    (tuned - actually slightly useful)
    allows the wearer to experience the reaction a specific individual (usually a fashion expert) would have to an individuals appearence
    only works in bright light, will not function for blind users but wearer must close their eyes to activate, individual being viewed must be within line of sight of the spectacles and no more than 10 feet away
    (untuned)
    allows the wearer to experience the reaction they themselves would have to an individuals appearence

Orb of Detect Light - when activated the orb will glow if light is present

The Portable Spot - looks just like a portable hole but there is no hole, just a black spot on a surface

Dice of Resting - instead of "resting" 8 hours to regain spells roll the dice to become comatose for 2-12 hours for the same benefits

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

451) Trumpet of War: After playing the trumpet, the closest kingdom will declare war on you. You will have no allies and it's you against a whole army

452) Saxophone of Jazz: Can play jazz music by itself, no use in combat. It can't even be played

453) Trombone of Pain: Playing this trombone will inflict 1d4 nonlethal damage on player. If player has braces, it will deal 1d4+5 nonlethal damage to player. (face it, the braces part applied for normal trombone or eve trumpet, I was in band an I know from personal experience)

454) Violin of Violence: Playing the violin will give you gruesome war flashbacks that you may or may not have been involved in.

455) Snare Drum of Snares: Playing the snare drum will turn it into a snare, which you will most certainly get your hand stuck in

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Almondbread's deckchair of fractal folding (extremely rare).

In theory, a highly useful item constructed from an enchantment similar to that on a bag of holding. A stowed ACoFF fits inside a snuffbox and can, if the instructions are followed correctly, be unfolded into a sturdy hessian folding chair which will support the weight of a medium sized creature comfortably, making it the ideal travel accessory for prolonged dungeon crawls.

In practice, the instructions for unfolding are helpfully written on the fully unfolded chair. Its inventor, respected magician Ben-Wa Almondbread, vanished in mysterious circumstances shortly after its invention, leaving nothing behind indicating his whereabouts apart from a partially collapsed chair in which a flap of wizards robe could be seen, but not disentangled.

The character who is both capable enough to unfold the chair and brave enough to then sit in it may be rarer than the chair itself.
    Last edited by Mister Tom; 2016-03-19 at 01:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

457) Scroll of Scrolling: when read, the computer you are using will scroll to the bottom of the webpage

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Akbar's ring of detection: will detect and inform its wearer if they are in a trap.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    451) Trumpet of War: After playing the trumpet, the closest kingdom will declare war on you. You will have no allies and it's you against a whole army
    In the context of a tabletop game, bring it on! Experience points and treasure that come to you? Sweet.

453) Trombone of Pain: Playing this trombone will inflict 1d4 nonlethal damage on player. If player has braces, it will deal 1d4+5 nonlethal damage to player. (face it, the braces part applied for normal trombone or eve trumpet, I was in band an I know from personal experience)
    I had a similar experience with non-braces orthodontal stuff way way back in elementary school extracirricular band program times. I got a year better at trumpet in one session after I had the metal thing out of my mouth.

454) Violin of Violence: Playing the violin will give you gruesome war flashbacks that you may or may not have been involved in.
    Seems like a violin that generates writing prompts. I want it.

455) Snare Drum of Snares: Playing the snare drum will turn it into a snare, which you will most certainly get your hand stuck in
    Can be used as a trap to mess with drummers you don't like.

458. Hat of Disguise Intentions: The wearer of this classy vintage hat thinks they gain +4 Charisma. In actuality, any creature dealing with the wearer takes a -2 penalty to any Sense Motive checks due to a noxious aura of entitled smugness clouding their judgment. If the wearer ever fails a Charisma-based roll, they will compulsively complain about how they're such a nice person and how their own ineptitude is everyone else's fault.

459. Ring of Well Turning: The wearer automatically succeeds when attempting to turn.
    Last edited by ThinkMinty; 2016-03-19 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules are for Jerks: A Chaotic Good Alignment Handbook View Post
    A fair number of people don’t quite grok Chaotic Good, since the idea of thinking for yourself while being a good person is apparently confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by linklele
    Look, a strange boy just popped into my room asking for your soul...
    Avatar by linklele, featuring a strange boy. Full signature is here.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

460. Well of soles. This well can be commanded to produce 1 edible fish per day. Unfortunately, it is located in the middle of the wilderness, many miles from the nearest settlement.

461. Well of voles. On command, this well produces 1 vole per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I've tallied up all the points for this thread, and consulted with the debate judges, and the verdict is clear: JoeJ wins the thread.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

462) Scroll of Dreams: makes all of your dreams come true. Unfortunately, nightmares count, so have fun falling off a hiding while having your teeth falling out and landing at your work naked.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

463) Wand of Dimension Odor: This wand lets you smell a place of your choice in your line of sight.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gallade View Post
    463) Wand of Dimension Odor: This wand lets you smell a place of your choice in your line of sight.
    Actually pretty useful, since there are scents that can make you pass out or vomit

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

464.) Wand of Draining - The user can utilize this unusually pointy wand to remove liquids from suitably penetrable containers.

465.) Charm of the Gambler's Stone - In any game of rock-paper-scissors, the opponent to the owner of this item will throw rock 33% of the time.

466.) Bixby's Death Clock - This pocket-watch will display the time until the next death occurs in the entire multiverse.

467.) Melora's Flower of Pain - Blessed by the goddess of nature herself, this particular species of flower can feel pain.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

17. - Top - End - #227
    Barbarian in the Playground

468) Cloak of Oblivious Obviousness
    This cloak comes in three colors: Fuchia, Chartreuse, and Blaze Orange. Depending on the color, the cloak gives it wearer the ability to believe that she or he is gaining a +2, +4, or +6 bonus to hide checks, respectively. Instead, it is in fact giving a -2, -4, or -6 penalty on hide checks.
    It cannot be removed without the use of a wish spell.
    Last edited by Hbgplayer; 2016-03-20 at 02:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusMFD View Post
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    One of the most interesting Derailments I've ever seen!
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

460. Staff of Cleaning: this staff will clean your manor. Costs 500gp a month, plus board, and doesn't supply their own cleaning supplies. Complains if used as a weapon. May, in fact, not be a magic item but rather a load of cleaners.

461. Ring of Turning: when put on causes the wearer to spin 360°.

462. Roap on a Rope: this rope is handily attached to a Rope so you won't lose it. At both ends, and the knots are a pain to untie.

463. Church Cannon: doesn't fire due to being a pacifist.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

464) Pool Cue of Pool: a pool cue that only works if you are playing pool in a pool

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Cone Of Cold. The user now has his hands full of ice creams. Only usable in combat.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

466) Wand of Magic Mistletoe: Causes mistletoe to appear floating above your head.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

467. Dark Darkener of Darkness - I don't know what it is. It's too dark to see.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

468) Self-respawning cake: When eaten, this cake teleports and reforms instantly in a random spot on the current plane. Since it's teleporting, it has none of the effects of eating cake, including flavor, nutrition or satiation. Also, you don't know how many people put it in their mouth before, and that's just gross.
    Last edited by Gallade; 2016-03-22 at 10:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

469) Bingo Troll of Trolling: Throwing this item at a target will do no damage, instead, it will start singing "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

470. Scroll of Lists: this scroll manages to turn up on lists of magic items when read.

471. Sacred Hamburger +1: would be really filling, but a bunch of people stole it and plan to resurrect it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Firbolg in the Playground

472: Banana Of Inner Strength: After eating it, wielding this Banana grants a +5 to Will and Fort saves.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

27. - Top - End - #237
    Pixie in the Playground

473. Disintegrating Wand: When activated, this metal wand quickly turns to dust. One use.

474. Steadfast Trousers: These average-looking pants become harder to remove as the wearer's need to use a restroom increases.

475. Unbound Boots: The laces of these boots become untied whenever the wearer is not looking at them.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

476. The Elder Scroll: reading it will turn you into an old man, with none of the wisdom or experience
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2016-03-22 at 10:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Firbolg in the Playground

477. Green Quark - Smelly, spoiled dairy product. Key for gaining the powers granted by the Green Quark Adept class, on which it is better not to dwell.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

478) Club of Fighting: First, you do not talk about this club. Second, you do NOT talk about this club.