New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Need a rural American area

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Ash Vs. Evil Dead (and by extension, the Evil Dead movies) takes place in Michigan. So the cabin in the woods is something your group could come across.
    And winter in those areas can be pretty brutal with a lot of snowfall, so getting stranded by heavy snow is a very real danger.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Ash Vs. Evil Dead (and by extension, the Evil Dead movies) takes place in Michigan. So the cabin in the woods is something your group could come across.
    Huh, just learned something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    And winter in those areas can be pretty brutal with a lot of snowfall, so getting stranded by heavy snow is a very real danger.
    Oh ya, if you dont have a plow, you ain't driving out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Pennsylvania all the way. Home to Allegheny National Forest, lots of rural folks ("Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Alabama in between"), fourth-largest standing army in the world on the first day of buck season (seriously, look it up), lots of local politics and isolated communities (that could prevent a cry for help being investigated right away), ghost stories occasionally dating back to the 1700s (depending on where you are). Lots of mountain lions up in the hills; bears aren't unheard-of. And while Monroeville Mall is probably too close to civilization for what you're describing, you have the cinematic history of Night of the Living Dead to draw on.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

The desert of Arizona

about as rural as yo can get
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    "Ok guys, we got two choices for running. Corn field, or corn field."

"We are so dead"
    If you mean Iowa, while corn (and soybean) fields are the most abundant thing, there are still plenty of trees, lakes, hills. There are also small towns and small cities. The highest peak is only 1670 ft (if my quick Google search is correct) and there are no actual deserts (some places may feel like it, but actual rainfall says "no"). Obviously no oceanfront property for a landlocked state, but it is bordered on one side by the Mississippi river on one side and the Missouri river on the other, with a good selection of small and medium sized lakes in between (maybe a few large ones - I don't know the scale for such things very well).

And... this got stupid long so I'm just going to put it in spoilers; it ties into the discussion, but isn't essential to it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Still has an abundant amount of agriculture, though it has been shrinking dramatically at least in central Iowa, where I am originally from, over the last three decades (I am not old enough to comment about before then, but my elders assure me that the trend has continued). Unless you need large cities, deserts, or actual ocean, Iowa from the last 30 years to present is a good fit for various campaigns. It has a lot of things you wouldn't expect, but most are no where near as developed as they would be elsewhere. Except for agriculture, football, computers and general nerd culture. Collectively Iowa excels at those things. ;)

So yeah, this does not sound like what Jeivar is looking for in a setting. It does bring up an interesting related point: transportation. Iowa is a pretty typical American Midwestern state, which from what I can tell reverses the situations of a major metropolitan areas and is sideways as far as things go internationally. People are used to living in a small town and commuting to either another small town, slightly bigger town or large city.

In one sense no region is remote because the majority of people old enough to drive do and have access to a car. While we would try to avoid it, it was not uncommon for my family, who lived on a farm about 6 miles from the nearest tiny town, 9 miles from a moderately sized one, and 10 miles from a large town. Being rural, there was no taxi, bus, or train service. I had 2-3 miles of gravel roads (the kind of gravel roads meant to survive farm or construction equipment) to push through before getting to a paved one on bike (I never was any good on a bike anyway) so for some this would seem fairly remote. However by car (which again almost everyone had) it was under 10 minutes to get to the tiny town (where I went to High School), 15 to the moderately sized town and 20 to the small city... and for the latter thanks to the interstate highway only another five to 10 minutes to get to any point within said small city.

Why bring all that up?

Rural isn't always remote. If I drove in the correct direction, I could keep hitting farms, houses in small woods, etc. that were father and farther from suburban and urban areas. Some people I know had like a 45 minute drive to get to even a small town, and for a small state like Iowa that is pretty distant. On the other hand it is quite close compared to some regions even within the U.S.A.

Also regardless of where you are at, it can be much harder going based on the weather. Even as close as I was to three different towns, after a heavy snow (which depended as much on snowfall as on wind conditions), you had to wait for a county snow plow to travel... even if you had your own truck with a plow on it, it might be worth waiting. During the wet spring weather, you learned to avoid some roads because they became either mud or clay traps. Learned that the hard way shortly after I started driving; I avoided getting stuck in one or losing control and ending up in the ditch, but a particularly clay heavy stretch of roads cost me one of my hubcaps!
    Last edited by Otaku; 2016-03-02 at 12:38 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

The Alaskan wilderness

If you don't go there prepared or with any wilderness experience alone, you will die
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Could someone drop some trivia about those places? I'm going to run a pen-and-paper game, not direct a documentary, but a bit of inspiration is always nice.
    Every town has at least 1 Bar, guns are extremely common, and gunshots are not uncommon in fall (as theres a lot of hunting then). You can expect at least a foot of snow in winter and a ton of rain in spring, the woods have very thick underbrush on average so seeing more than 20 yards is impressive.

Oh and it looks really creepy with a nice groundfog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Every town has at least 1 Bar, guns are extremely common, and gunshots are not uncommon in fall (as theres a lot of hunting then). You can expect at least a foot of snow in winter and a ton of rain in spring, the woods have very thick underbrush on average so seeing more than 20 yards is impressive.

Williams, Arizona

This is the exact description of the place, except for thick underbrush
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2016-02-29 at 06:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

That's (parts of) Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, and (all of) West Virginia too, for what it's worth. You can also add narrow gravel roads and hilly/mountainous terrain as well - not quite as striking as the rockies, but unless you're standing on a peak, you wouldn't notice for all the trees.

A (largely tangential) note on fog in the mountains - sometimes it's heavy enough to sink all the way to the ground, but just as often we'll get low-lying clouds (about 300-600m up) that cut visibility on the mountainside while still leaving it relatively clear on the valley floor and on the ridges (granted, you can't actually see down very far from the ridges). It's not uncommon - when crossing a ridge under cloud cover - to drive from a light rain, up through heavy fog, to mostly clear skies, then back down into fog and rain.
    A few odds and ends.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Lets put first things first.

Jeivar, what kind of American accents can you do? That will help us. No sense putting the game in Maine or the Dakotas if all you can do is southerner.

Unless, of course, your players have no idea what an American sounds like... then you can do Brooklynese for all they know.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Lets put first things first.

Jeivar, what kind of American accents can you do? That will help us. No sense putting the game in Maine or the Dakotas if all you can do is southerner.

Unless, of course, your players have no idea what an American sounds like... then you can do Brooklynese for all they know.
    No one knows what an American sounds like, because we all sound different based on the region we live in

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

I dunno, I'd say I'm fluent in Suburbian and Memeanese.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    I dunno, I'd say I'm fluent in Suburbian and Memeanese.
    hahah!

that got a chuckle outta me.

anyway I'd say a typical "American" accent is what you hear in the movies. I call it a neutral accent since it doesn't really place you anywhere. Unlike say a southern drawl; which places you as "from the south" or "a southerner" (believe it or not there's regional differences there too).

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    hahah!

anyway I'd say a typical "American" accent is what you hear in the movies. I call it a neutral accent since it doesn't really place you anywhere. Unlike say a southern drawl; which places you as "from the south" or "a southerner" (believe it or not there's regional differences there too).
    Ok, so what I have

that's a good self-reference

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    No one knows what an American sounds like, because we all sound different based on the region we live in
    We all know what an English accent is, yet when we try an do one it can sound like anything from Mr. Banks to Bert.

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    hahah!

anyway I'd say a typical "American" accent is what you hear in the movies. I call it a neutral accent since it doesn't really place you anywhere.
    In every war movie there are 4 guys: "Tex" the cowboy, "Brooklyn" the cabbie, "Jefferson" the black guy, and "Kid"...he's the only one with a neutral accent.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Pennsylvania all the way. Home to Allegheny National Forest, lots of rural folks ("Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Alabama in between"), fourth-largest standing army in the world on the first day of buck season (seriously, look it up), lots of local politics and isolated communities (that could prevent a cry for help being investigated right away), ghost stories occasionally dating back to the 1700s (depending on where you are). Lots of mountain lions up in the hills; bears aren't unheard-of. And while Monroeville Mall is probably too close to civilization for what you're describing, you have the cinematic history of Night of the Living Dead to draw on.
    Agreed. If you're looking for Northeastern-style rural environs -- waaaaay out in the middle of nowhere but still only a day from New York -- Pennsylvania's Northern Tier (Elk County -- where there supposedly more elk than people -- especially) is the place to be.
    Last edited by lurkmeister; 2016-03-01 at 09:00 PM.
    Check out my infrequently-updating blog, The Hammered Critic, where I discuss TV shows and movies I've watched, books and comics I've read, music I've listened to, and perhaps the odd culinary or alcoholic thing

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lurkmeister View Post
    Agreed. If you're looking for Northeastern-style rural environs -- waaaaay out in the middle of nowhere but still only a day from New York -- Pennsylvania's Northern Tier (Elk County -- where there supposedly more elk than people -- especially) is the place to be.
    More elk than people? How soon is elk season?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
    Rural isn't always remote. If I drove in the correct direction, I could keep hitting farms, houses in small woods, etc. that were father and farther from suburban and urban areas. Some people I know had like a 45 minute drive to get to even a small town, and for a small state like Iowa that is pretty distant. On the other than it is quite close compared to some regions even within the U.S.A.
    Based on how you define your terms, I think Michigan's upper peninsula is significantly more remote than Iowa. Sure, you can probably hit a small town within half an hour if you know how to go, but the only real cities are Sault St Marie, Marquette, and Houghton. Everything else is wilderness broken up by trees, bars, and gas stations.

The local economy is based on lumber, recreation, and mining. If you want to know how minerals were removed from the area, look up the Edmund Fitzgerald.

The coasts of Michigan have more lighthouses than the entire eastern and western seaboards of the United States.

So, your party should consist of an unemployed miner, two drunk hunters, and a bar maid in a light house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

More elk than people? How soon is elk season?
    I think it just ended!
    Check out my infrequently-updating blog, The Hammered Critic, where I discuss TV shows and movies I've watched, books and comics I've read, music I've listened to, and perhaps the odd culinary or alcoholic thing

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Based on how you define your terms, I think Michigan's upper peninsula is significantly more remote than Iowa.

Yup, based on what I have heard it is. I had a typo where "On the other hand" became "On the other than" which is gibberish and confused my meaning. I was trying to get at the fact I don't know what Jeivar thinks of as remote. ;) Long commutes are business as usual for some but abnormal for others, and sometimes the same time frame has very different distances; the difficult in town commute where most time is spent in traffic jams or just walking versus the same amount of time pushing the limit on an interstate.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Personal definition of remote: climb the tallest thing within 1/4 mile of point A (Tree, Hill, whatever). If from altitude I can still see no sign of human habitation AND I could not walk for 6 hours in any direction and not hit a road (the key in forested region). If both conditions are true then it is remote.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lurkmeister View Post
    I think it just ended!
    Well, I guess it's too late to put in for a tag

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Personal definition of remote: climb the tallest thing within 1/4 mile of point A (Tree, Hill, whatever). If from altitude I can still see no sign of human habitation AND I could not walk for 6 hours in any direction and not hit a road (the key in forested region). If both conditions are true then it is remote.
    Most forests could be remote then depending on how good at LandNav you are. it's possible to walk six hours in a few acres in a valley and not hit a road.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Most forests could be remote then depending on how good at LandNav you are. it's possible to walk six hours in a few acres in a valley and not hit a road.
    Aye. I get what sktarq was going for, but at the very least we have to emphasize "rural" remote because there are indeed some urban or suburban areas that are remote; only the "no signs of human habitation" thing keeps them from qualifying as is... and my point is that if we weren't discussing rural areas in the first place, just remote, there are cities (especially those in poor shape right now) where you'll hit large stretches where you can't find anyone.

It isn't a bad set of guidelines to start with, though.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Is it okay if it is within close proximity of law enforcement/military/professional mercenaries that kill monsters?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
    Aye. I get what sktarq was going for, but at the very least we have to emphasize "rural" remote because there are indeed some urban or suburban areas that are remote; only the "no signs of human habitation" thing keeps them from qualifying as is... and my point is that if we weren't discussing rural areas in the first place, just remote, there are cities (especially those in poor shape right now) where you'll hit large stretches where you can't find anyone.

It isn't a bad set of guidelines to start with, though.
    My point was more that remoteness isn't so much a matter of how far things are, as how isolated you are.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

The Canadian border

enough said

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

The Canadian border

enough said
    Which is basically all of the states in the Northern US. If you include Appalachia, that's basically the entirety of the Northeast. The Rockies gets you most of the West, the middle states have large empty areas as well. Bayeu will get you the Southwestern ones. There is wilderness hours of walking from anywhere in EVERY single continental US State (unless you count the District of Columbia), Hawaii I'm not sold on, but I don't doubt that's the case there as well. The US is really really big. Like the third largest country in the world big, people don't tend to realize that, I imagine since movies tend to be filmed in cities, or in wilderness spots that are relatively accessible.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Which is basically all of the states in the Northern US. If you include Appalachia, that's basically the entirety of the Northeast. The Rockies gets you most of the West, the middle states have large empty areas as well. Bayeu will get you the Southwestern ones. There is wilderness hours of walking from anywhere in EVERY single continental US State (unless you count the District of Columbia), Hawaii I'm not sold on, but I don't doubt that's the case there as well. The US is really really big. Like the third largest country in the world big, people don't tend to realize that, I imagine since movies tend to be filmed in cities, or in wilderness spots that are relatively accessible.
    Well, there's not much wilderness in New Jersey, Delaware, Connecticut, or Rhode Island, and honestly Maryland is mostly cities and suburban sprawl as well, but yeah, nearly every state in the US has isolated rural areas somewhere.
    A few odds and ends.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

If you want to get typical slasher, go for somewhere in Kansas. Not a good idea for what you requested, but just a thought