New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 217181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: D&D Aangvanced (Avatar: The Last Airbender Screencap Comic)

I think Allie doesn't want to lose, but need desperatly to prove herself.
    She's used to be considered a lesser one due to her leg, but has always fought it. That's why she's a cheerleader, that's why she face mean girls at school.

She loves the game, it's the place where she's happy. But she can't be truly happy if she's a lesser one here too. She's the newby, everyone give advice, tell her what to do and not to do... We've seen a few times that Allie is eager to prove herself et wanted to play as everyone else, not as the younger one, the niece, the newby, the weak one we need to ease and help, because she can't play as well as the others.
    Of course, Allie is putting this too far (asking Rick not to ease things up is one thing, but facing Mac's dungeon alone and asking for full strike is madness, for any player).
    This state of mind guide a lot of her actions, like wanting to deal with the bad guy on her own terms, not thoses dictated to her by others, like dismissing her uncle with very cuttying and harsh words when he's becoming overprotective for her.

It will end badly for her at some point, because life is not about being always strong and rpg is all about facing weakness, suck it up and deal with it.
    Spoiler: LOK later
    Show
    Plus, the end of season 3 and the whole first half of season 4 is about Korra having to deal with limits and weakness. A harsh time to come for Allie

The shiny shine dice set and her behaviou toward it is highly enlightful about her:
    Everyone is all "Thoses dice have a disfunction, a physical defect bring them to glitche more often. It's garbage, throw them away, buy new one."
    Yes, the dice have a physical defect that impact their result and mean you need more work to do things...
    Allie has a physical defect... But she's not garbage, she doesn't want to be thrown away.
    IMO, Allie care so much about thoses dice because she sees a bit of herself in them and it hurts her that everyone first and only solution to the situation is "throw them away, there's better ones elsewhere".

It's nearly as her boyfriend dumped her saying "Well, my family told me that I could easily find a girl with two normal legs, so..."

2. - Top - End - #782
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JohanOfKitten View Post
    I think Allie doesn't want to lose, but need desperatly to prove herself.
    She's used to be considered a lesser one due to her leg, but has always fought it. That's why she's a cheerleader, that's why she face mean girls at school.

She loves the game, it's the place where she's happy. But she can't be truly happy if she's a lesser one here too. She's the newby, everyone give advice, tell her what to do and not to do... We've seen a few times that Allie is eager to prove herself et wanted to play as everyone else, not as the younger one, the niece, the newby, the weak one we need to ease and help, because she can't play as well as the others.
    Of course, Allie is putting this too far (asking Rick not to ease things up is one thing, but facing Mac's dungeon alone and asking for full strike is madness, for any player).
    This state of mind guide a lot of her actions, like wanting to deal with the bad guy on her own terms, not thoses dictated to her by others, like dismissing her uncle with very cuttying and harsh words when he's becoming overprotective for her.

It will end badly for her at some point, because life is not about being always strong and rpg is all about facing weakness, suck it up and deal with it.
    Spoiler: LOK later
    Show
    Plus, the end of season 3 and the whole first half of season 4 is about Korra having to deal with limits and weakness. A harsh time to come for Allie

The shiny shine dice set and her behaviou toward it is highly enlightful about her:
    Everyone is all "Thoses dice have a disfunction, a physical defect bring them to glitche more often. It's garbage, throw them away, buy new one."
    Yes, the dice have a physical defect that impact their result and mean you need more work to do things...
    Allie has a physical defect... But she's not garbage, she doesn't want to be thrown away.
    IMO, Allie care so much about thoses dice because she sees a bit of herself in them and it hurts her that everyone first and only solution to the situation is "throw them away, there's better ones elsewhere".

It's nearly as her boyfriend dumped her saying "Well, my family told me that I could easily find a girl with two normal legs, so..."

I think you're right on the money with Allie's relationship to her dice. She feels the need to prove the worth of herself and her dice.

Outwardly, her dice also just look like her (as much as dice can). They're pretty, they light up the room, they're outgoing and make you smile. Just like Allie.

Also Lexby <3

They are just so beyond cute and they're being cute with baby sky bison around, making everything even cuter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    I think you're right on the money with Allie's relationship to her dice. She feels the need to prove the worth of herself and her dice.

Outwardly, her dice also just look like her (as much as dice can). They're pretty, they light up the room, they're outgoing and make you smile. Just like Allie.
    I mean, my favorite dice are a pair of d6 with a pentagram on them instead of eyes or numbers, so I really shouldn't judge others for getting attached to weird dice.

Also Lexby <3
    They are just so beyond cute and they're being cute with baby sky bison around, making everything even cuter.
    True. They're almost disgustingly sweet.
    Like really good candy.

But I have to say I'm disappointed in Manny.
    You just don't slip laxatives in someone's drink, even if they're Mary Weers.
    I mean, they will recover and inevitably retaliate.
    If you wanna poison someone do it right.
    At the very least use something that gets them in real trouble.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-11-21 at 02:00 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #784
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Lexby!

But I'm a bit concerned... For a few days, I've been thinking a lot about season 3 finale and the respective roles of each, specialy Allie, Lex and Shelby. And this morning, on my way to work, I was getting hard thoughts about how the freshly announced wedding could be in jeopardy by some insane IG/IRL mess.
    And now, I just read about Shelby self-doubts and what I see as a prevalence to auto-sabotage in relationship!? That will be a though time

Spoiler: Season3 finale
    Show
    In more details (and spoilers of the show) :
    The season 3 finale will be huge!
    Lex and the whole Shelby-dom captured, the Big Evil Guy using his hostages to force Allie in surrender.
    We have some pretty intense moments in the lasts two episodes:
    - The relationship between Allie and Rube that ties a bit more (He'll probably continue to play Korra's father, so the scene where Korra's father try to protect her from Zaheer and fall of the cliff, leaving Korra thinking he's dead is pretty powerfull, as well as the end of the battle when Korra is barely alive, getting out of the avatar mode, in the arms of her father)
    - The death of P'li. As I see it, Rick is gonna continue playing Lin (as his PC if, as my theory goes on, he's not the DM at this point). And he'll play her sister Suyin too. So the battle with P'li will be all for him. And this battle has one of the more shocking death scene of cartoons! How come the goody Rick, the lawful-good pure innocent guy will end the battle like that? I think the IRL stakes will be really big to push him that far.
    - Damien is lavabending. Damien likes being comic relief. He likes comboting with his pal, but he doesn't really stand of his own. I think it's an uneasy position for him, so he avoids it. And he might have frustration to be blocked in metal bending progression at some point. This moment may be the occasion for him to stood up, for himself, fight back what may block him. (It might be or not be a huge deal, depending on who his the DM or the antagonist player...)
    - The two parts rescue of Lex then Shelby. If the finale is some mess linked more or less to their wedding, it's kinda big on symbolic. Maybe someone will messed up the wedding's prepation, or will taunted Shelby to push her in her self-doubts. And we have the group divided, with Rube and Damien on their way to save Allie, while Rick and Lew are getting back Shelby.
    What I like here is that Shelby, after that, won't give up on Allie. Even if that's her wedding and she was blocked in some tricky puzzle prison (like the old trick used by Rube in ATLA 2 to keep her away from the game at some point), she'll want to go and help Allie before anything else.
    - Finally, the ceremony that makes Jinora an Airbender, or, in IRL if it follows my fantasy, the Lexby wedding!
    But this ceremony doesn't end without having Allie dropping salty tears... This battle has hurt Allie big...

Well, at least, that's how he could go with my crazy theories.

In all this, the DM role is still an unknown thing, but a few possibilities :
    - Rick continue as DM, but is slipping on a dangerous slope. It might be possible, and would concur well with the succession issues of book4 beginning. But it would lesser the P'li death and all the support he can provide to the Lexby situation. It would be awkward.
    - Manny is a good possibility (good in a "horribly fitting in the sadistic abuser of power" way). His character Varrick is less present in the season if I recall it well and is not there in the finale. He's a know abuser of players and could be that evil with the players. But two questions emerge: Why does the heir of the avatar setting would want to destroy the avatar (not just Korra/Allie, but all the cycle, so the major element of the setting)? And why would he want to destroy Lexby wedding? Sure, he seems to know something about Shelby past lovelife that fit with her self-doubts, but is it sufficient to justify being against his friends?
    - Mac could fit, but is a no for me... Her PC is not very present too in the finale, she might have issues with both the Lexby wedding (Her mentor/best friend marrying her ex-boyfriend ? what could go wrong) and with Allie (their relationship was full of tensions at first. It seems to improve lately, but a lot can happen in a season and half), but I really don't see her in this part of the big picture. Her time is for season 4 IMO.
    - Mary Weers or one of her minion. It may not be her directly, but it could fit here. Who might want to destroy Lexby, the couple that steal her back the game she wanted to shut down, with collateral damages like the treason of one of her employe (Manny), the loss of a fan who could be usefull later (Mac) and the humiliation when facing her son and losing in front of him... And she's a shark that put clearly Allie in her radar and have good motivations to destroy the avatar setting.

Anyway, things can go really bad, be would be awesome if the events synchronize in a big mess full of intense moments
    (Or I could be totally wrong with my crazy theories, so nevermind

5. - Top - End - #785
    Dwarf in the Playground

Manny fills in for Rube, because Rube just can't be mean to Allie. I mean, how many people can compare a woman to a leech? This is why Manny's here. Or else nothing would get done and it'd just be a comic about happy people getting happier.

And good insight Johan! I can't wait for season 3!
    . . .

6. - Top - End - #786
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

You need to be mean to somebody but too afraid to do so?
    Your kindness is like a disease you can't fight?
    Last time you were harsh with someone, you ended up hiding in your bed in recovery position?

Don't worry, Manny is here for you!
    For only 4.99$, he can't insult friends and family.*
    With the special offer Wreckage2000 at 14.99$, he could also crush the spirit of someone for you* **

this is a message from Bad Manny© (BM)
    *BM is not responsible for any gruesome consequences in your relationships afterwards.
    ** BM keeps the right to improvise in the operation and is free to use every accessible means, including illegal audio monitoring and found poisoning.

Last edited by JohanOfKitten; 2017-11-23 at 03:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You know, Manny definitely has a point regarding Allie.
    And yet I want to deck him in the face with a blunt object for the way he makes that point.

So I've been thinking; would decking him in the face without a blunt object be a good compromise?

8. - Top - End - #788
    Dwarf in the Playground

Season 3: everyone gets a foam bat to beat one person with per session. Manny is the usual pick.
    . . .

9. - Top - End - #789
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Aeons View Post
    Season 3: everyone gets a foam bat to beat one person with per session. Manny is the usual pick.
    Except Shelby.

Because if anyone can turn a foam bat into a lethal weapon, it's Shelby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #790
    Orc in the Playground

Speaking as someone DMing a three year long exalted campaign I am not surprised that mac uses that as her farm upstate example. That's a system where your expected to break the setting with your shenanigans.
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

11. - Top - End - #791
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A DM Coalition...

When the number of DMs surpass the number of players, troubles are on their way !

12. - Top - End - #792
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Oh, brillant!

Allie dming Wan's story...
    It will bring up Rava and Vaatu, incarnations of DM power

13. - Top - End - #793
    Dwarf in the Playground

Of course Rube is the first Avatar. Allie's got a tough opponent for her first session DMing!
    . . .

14. - Top - End - #794
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Okay. Mac is really upset by the Lexby engagement.

There was a hint toward it when she learn the news by phone and quit the table in hurry, killing Korra on the way to finish the session.
    But we could still put it on the shock, without real data on she felt (she might as well run in her home to cry and rush to see them to congratulate them).

But now, we have confirmation that she's upset by it, to the point that she wan't to leave a fun game at first hear that Lexby might be there at some point.
    Does she still have feelings for Lex? She was reluctant to "let" Shelby date with him when she told her she was interested.

But I wonder, are her feelings and discomfort with the situation more directed toward Lex or Shelby?
    Yeah, I know, I wander in the dark seas of wild shipping.
    But I always had the feeling that the relation between Shelby and Mac was more than friendship.
    Not necessarily love. Shelby is a mentor for Mac, a role modele. She has tried several times to compet to be at her level (not by direct competition, but by achieving similar exploits). That's how she dug herself in the Yaburu Muda. Their friendship have been intense and the separation (before ATLA campaign was a mess, according to this (full of tears) open-hearted chat.

So, there may (or may not be) some love feelings involved, but there is mainly, IMO, a grim reflection of Mac :
    Mac has issues in relationships and in any social interaction. It's not easy for her to find her place, to feel loved, to think she deserves love (it's exposed in the confrontation with Mrs Weers). It's hard for her to build her life.
    She took Shelby as role model. Shelby's famous for her game abilities, she's fun, fierce and proud.
    Mac tries to mimic her, to be that good.
    And now, she sees Shelby accomplished in relationship. And not any relationship, she's in couple with Mac's ex.
    I think that what Mac has in mind right now is a twisted cartoon Shelby boasting "You can't manage relationship, you can't be loved. See, when I take Lex, he's becoming someone and he proposes, because, you know, I'm much more worth of love than you".
    (Of course, it's just in Mac's head, Shelby wouldn't really say something like that.)

15. - Top - End - #795
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I have a feeling Mac is a closet lesbian since a long while, especially when she's interacting with Bonnie from the Crystal GMs campaign. So wouldn't be surprised if she did have some feelings toward Shellby at some point along with having a tendency to push away those she might have feelings for (Shellby, Bonnie, Allie... )

And yeah, totally shipping Allie and Mac together. I just love their whole dynamic.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelune View Post
    And yeah, totally shipping Allie and Mac together. I just love their whole dynamic.
    Me too.
    Although in my case it's cause I want to see the how epic the train wreck is when they inevitably crash and burn.

No, seriously, considering Mac plays Asami I guess Allie will at the very least end up as the person who lets her open up and just roleplay.
    So, just going by their characters they will end up at least good friends.

But I wouldn't mind them going the way of Jim and Annie from Darths&Droids.

So yeah, I guess they will end up close friends at the very least
    Mostly because despite my attemps to claim otherwise I've got a pretty big weak spot for happy ends.
    And... well, Mac continuing to be her lonely, miserable self really wouldn't be.

Kinda ironic coming from me...
    Then again I'm not miserable being alone.
    I like keeping to myself.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Dwarf in the Playground

If Mac got a happy ending, it would be a true Christmas miracle. Or you know, one of those other kind of "miracles" that Allie slogs through hell to pull out of the depths of your own inner darkness and holds up "patiently" before you until you "decide" to take it on your own.

Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if Allie would play Granny Weatherwax?
    . . .

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Aeons View Post
    Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if Allie would play Granny Weatherwax?
    Head canon accepted.

Either her or Carrot.
    Or possibly Tiffany, depending on which stories are picked.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Mac "accidently" buying radioactive pink dice, then throwing them Allie's way ? Looks like an "accidental" present to me. XD

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelune View Post
    Mac "accidently" buying radioactive pink dice, then throwing them Allie's way ? Looks like an "accidental" present to me. XD
    Definitely. I guess that's the only way Mac can show affection. (For now)
    By pretending she didn't mean to.

Also, this might be the only way to get Allie to swap out the Shiny Shines.
    Lets hope the Vorpal Pinks live up to their name.
    Or are at least more reliable than Allie's current set.

Mind you, I neither think nor want that Allie will ditch the Shiny Shines, but having a fall back option for important battles should be helpful.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-12-25 at 05:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh. Right.
    Shelby plays enough characters to form a party.
    And now she got a grasp on the new rules...

A whole party united by one will, one mind.
    Controlled by the munchkin queen.
    And there I thought Khepri was scary.

Also I'm with Allie there.
    I really want to know the story behind the Emperor Kitty.

Mac genuinely smiling/laughing is always a good thing though.
    Having Allie in the gaang is definitely good for her.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Dwarf in the Playground

Extra post for the New Year! Everyone's having a good time, never thought we'd get here!
    . . .

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My first thought about Mac giving her drink to Allie was „Are you trying to make her drunk?”

Then half the party joined in.

Let's hope that doesn't become their New Year tradition.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah, Allie is gonna roll under the table!
    Plus, she's still young. Not sure it's legal to make her take alcohol.

Also, I notice that Lex take Shelby out of champagne... To avoid having to deal with drunk-shelby at the end of the night ?
    Or pregnancy clue ?

25. - Top - End - #805
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Come on, Allie, I know you love the shinny shines, but Mac went out of her way to give you the vorpal pinks. I think it's time you get into the habit of at least breaking them out when you're in a situation where it's important not to fail. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    My first thought about Mac giving her drink to Allie was "Are you trying to make her drunk?”
    Thought the exact same thing XD

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maybe it's just me, but when Manny tells you you're getting too dark it's time to take a step back and rethink your DMing.

Escalating is definitely the wrong reaction.

I'm starting to think this campaign setting is cursed to turn it's DMs into the worst version of themselves.

Or those guys simply can't be trusted with that kind of responsibility.
    I mean sure, power corrupts, but this is ridiculous.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, that's definitely canon. Manny and Rick have talked about the notes being a bad influence. This is just the first time he's showed signs of slipping.
    Last edited by DeadpanSal; 2018-01-05 at 04:25 AM.
    . . .

28. - Top - End - #808
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but when Manny tells you you're getting too dark it's time to take a step back and rethink your DMing.
    That's not just you.
    Last night, I was reading strip 1625 and was thinking the same thing : if Manny finds this to dark, it's reallly bad.

And this morning, 1626 with Mac rise of power : Yep, really bad is confirmed.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Manny and Rube's dad is in prison!?!
    Wooh, that was a very complicated childhood for them...

I like Damien's idea ! It could be a fun game.
    I love the "Filler, filler, it was Praxis the whole time!"

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by JohanOfKitten View Post
    Manny and Rube's dad is in prison!?!
    Wooh, that was a very complicated childhood for them...

I like Damien's idea ! It could be a fun game.
    I love the "Filler, filler, it was Praxis the whole time!"
    Well he already know he was guilty of abusing Manny, so hopefully that's what he got arrested for.