New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 32 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

biggrin D&D Aangvanced (Avatar: The Last Airbender Screencap Comic)

First of all, link (in non-link form because my post-count is too low for links): dandaangvanced[dot]tumblr[dot]com

Someone posted about this comic in the IWC forums a while back and I've been reading it since. It's pretty good for a screencap comic (heavy on the RPG/mechanics humour) and the guy making it seems dedicated enough that I'm fairly certain it won't be abandoned (a rare thing).

Some characterisations/jokes are obvious, but I at least still find them funny.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else here and in general it doesn't get a lot of attention, so I figured I'd plug it a bit.

Feel free to discuss here if you wish.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: D&D Aangvanced (Avatar: The Last Airbender Screencap Comic)

Don't worry, I'll provide the link for you.
    {Sexually explicit link removed}

And, I love it. Off to a good start.

Especially the whole "What kind of campaign do we want next", with three types of pirates mentioned.

And, I love the railroad references in the first few pages.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2018-09-25 at 12:23 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"All I got is a cruel 'Gone With The Wind' punchline."

Oh yes, I'm definitely reading this.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Don't worry, I'll provide the link for you.
    Thanks!

I'm glad other are enjoying it. :)
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2018-09-25 at 12:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

Oh, goody: This is a DM of the Rings style railroad plot. Episode 5 has the DM taking control of a player to break open the Ice that has Aang inside.

EDIT: And get lampooned by the 4th player in episode 6.
    Last edited by keybounce; 2016-03-07 at 01:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Oh, goody: This is a DM of the Rings style railroad plot. Episode 5 has the DM taking control of a player to break open the Ice that has Aang inside.

EDIT: And get lampooned by the 4th player in episode 6.
    Oh just wait until you get farther into it (should you choose to keep reading). This DM is rather...unique. He's more than your average railroading DM. The players all have their own more individualised reactions too (as opposed to DMotR).

It's shockingly enjoyable (again unlike DMotR which, while fun for a quick laugh, really wouldn't have been tolerable had it run longer than it did).
    Last edited by aurilee; 2016-03-07 at 02:22 PM. Reason: wording was kind of incoherent, fixed it for readability...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm in the middle of the archives. It is bizarre and hilarious.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Interesting. Not the biggest fan of DM of the Rings-style stuff, but this looks cute so far.

And I do love the three very different ideas when someone says "pirate campaign".

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Oh ... "If I wanted to hear what an NPC had to say ..." -- I've had players like that.

I wonder if there's an appreciable spike in traffic to this comic from this thread.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I already got sidetracked on page one, that's promising. Luckily Yu Jian Dong has only one IMDB credit, their previous campaign was Hero (Ying xiong).
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I already got sidetracked on page one, that's promising. Luckily Yu Jian Dong has only one IMDB credit, their previous campaign was Hero (Ying xiong).
    I was very tempted to do that, but I was thinking, "Time sink! Time sink!" Thanks for taking the plunge yourself.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

It went surprisingly quick, I picked the right crew member on my first guess. [/offtopic]
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2016-03-14 at 03:51 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm liking this one, compared to a lot of Screencap campaigns. It's not weighed down in out-of-game drama, and the jokes come thick and fast. I think we have a winner!
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

14. - Top - End - #14

BlackDragon

The sillyness of the "party" fighting -- Prince Zuko vs the water benders -- makes me think of grappling rules.

"But it's ten plus the damage value, multiplied by the audience number, divided by half" :-)

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Aww. Number 28.

Here we are, all the players together, the GM's cunning plot revealed, get all the players on the same side, and realize that the stories told by the fire nation elders is wrong, and work together to right it, to bring peace to the world ...

And the players decide to attack each other and ruin the GM's plot.

From DMotR "railroad" to D&D "what plot?" in one comic.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2018-09-25 at 12:24 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Aww. Number 28.

Here we are, all the players together, the GM's cunning plot revealed, get all the players on the same side, and realize that the stories told by the fire nation elders is wrong, and work together to right it, to bring peace to the world ...

And the players decide to attack each other and ruin the GM's plot.

From DMotR "railroad" to D&D "what plot?" in one comic.
    I'd generally categorise the comic as "DMotR if the players fought back". Which is why I like it more. The players aren't just whining munchkins. They've got spunk!
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2018-09-25 at 12:24 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    I'd generally categorise the comic as "DMotR if the players fought back". Which is why I like it more. The players aren't just whining munchkins. They've got spunk!
    ...but the DM puts them through some things that go way beyond anything in DMotR, too. I mean that it goes both ways.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    ...but the DM puts them through some things that go way beyond anything in DMotR, too. I mean that it goes both ways.
    Oh for sure, the DM here is kinda crazy, but so are the players. And a fun time is had for all!

It's a generally more exciting comic than DMotR. Especially since it's been a while since I watched the show and don't remember all the bits of plot (unlike DMotR where I knew where it was heading).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

It's a generally more exciting comic than DMotR. Especially since it's been a while since I watched the show and don't remember all the bits of plot (unlike DMotR where I knew where it was heading).
    I had heard about it, but hadn't ever seen the show. (I rarely watch TV.) This got me to watch it. I'm glad I did.

I'm not sure that having seen it recently would make that much of a difference, though. It may head in a different direction.

I don't care, but the author does cheat at times. For example, Sokka never touches his boomerang during this escape. Aang was conscious (you can actually see so on the previous page if you look closely) and windbent the fireball into the ice. So, yes, the author sometimes sneakily inserts screencaps into a scene in order to change what happens. I guess in this case he changed things to be consistent with D&D rules about recovering from exhaustion.

Given that the author does change things at times by inserting screencaps, things might wind up at a different place than the original. So far (not that I've caught up), the changes seem to be either rather minor or are obvious and silly.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-03-21 at 07:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

I had heard about it, but hadn't ever seen the show. (I rarely watch TV.) This got me to watch it. I'm glad I did.

I'm not sure that having seen it recently would make that much of a difference, though. It may head in a different direction.

I don't care, but the author does cheat at times. For example, Sokka never touches his boomerang during this escape. Aang was conscious (you can actually see so on the previous page if you look closely) and windbent the fireball into the ice. So, yes, the author sometimes sneakily inserts screencaps into a scene in order to change what happens. I guess in this case he changed things to be consistent with D&D rules about recovering from exhaustion.

Given that the author does change things at times by inserting screencaps, things might wind up at a different place than the original. So far (not that I've caught up), the changes seem to be either rather minor or are obvious and silly.
    He definitely changes things up, which is my preference really.

The story does diverge a fair bit, and stuff gets...weird at points. I think mainly the difference if you haven't watched it as recently is that you aren't thinking as much "oh, when will this happen". Not that that's a bad thing (it's how I read Darths & Droids), but it creates more of a surprise.

It's a stellar show though, and I'll probably go back and re-watch it after the comic has finished up.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

He definitely changes things up, which is my preference really.

The story does diverge a fair bit, and stuff gets...weird at points.
    "Session 9 - Non-Chronological Pirate Adventures, It’s A Slam Dunk!" for example? Or there may be even weirder stuff that I haven't gotten to yet.

I don't think there would be much of a point in playing things too straight. It wouldn't be that much different than the original show. IMO just adding bickering between the players and game mechanics wouldn't add that much. That gets old after a while.

Personally, I enjoyed Darth & Droids when they were doing the prequels because there was stuff to satirize, but I'm not enjoying it as much lately because lately it's either just imitating the original or it's just being different for the sake of being different.

22. - Top - End - #22

"Session 9 - Non-Chronological Pirate Adventures, It’s A Slam Dunk!" for example? Or there may be even weirder stuff that I haven't gotten to yet.
    You're close to where, in my opinion, stuff starts to approach max weirdness. In a fun way. That's going to be Session 10.

Then there's the climax at the end of Book 1. It's intense.

I don't think there would be much of a point in playing things too straight. It wouldn't be that much different than the original show. IMO just adding bickering between the players and game mechanics wouldn't add that much. That gets old after a while.
    Definitely. I've read a fair amount of other "screencap campaign comics" and most of the time it's just the canon plot plus some tired D&D jokes and OOC banter. This adds a lot more and the direction it takes, while still following the general idea of the plot (given the screencap limitations), does a lot of things differently, and changes canon enough to keep it interesting.

Personally, I enjoyed Darth & Droids when they were doing the prequels because there was stuff to satirize, but I'm not enjoying it as much lately because lately it's either just imitating the original or it's just being different for the sake of being different.
    I sort of agree with you on Darths & Droids. I still enjoy it, but it's mainly for the character arcs and the story itself. Punchlines are still funny, and the humour is very much in line with my own, but it's not quite the same. The prequels I enjoyed for the gags and the wacky explanations for the dumb stuff that was in those movies. Of course, I was expecting a shift since the prequels are a lot easier to make fun of, and the original trilogy presents more of a challenge parody-wise. The best part of the original trilogy comics so far for me was the re-interpretation of Jabba, but that's much off-topic at this point.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

You're close to where, in my opinion, stuff starts to approach max weirdness. In a fun way. That's going to be Session 10.
    Actually, I got a couple of sessions past that one, but that's where it started to dawn on me that I had better watch the actual episodes.

I really liked how things basically escalated from what happened early on to what happened in Session 10. The author did a nice job of laying the groundwork for what happened. Of course, it's still absurd anyway.

24. - Top - End - #24

Actually, I got a couple of sessions past that one, but that's where it started to dawn on me that I had better watch the actual episodes.

I really liked how things basically escalated from what happened early on to what happened in Session 10. The author did a nice job of laying the groundwork for what happened. Of course, it's still absurd anyway.
    Absurd, but yes, well thought-out, and quite fun. It all comes together really well, in the whacked out way this comic works.

He also does a good job at throwing some character development into the mix too, especially by the end of the first book. It's certainly a comic that's grown on me since I first started reading.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

I'm actually glad to hear it gets better, I was thinking of abandoning the comic.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Not posted here 'til now, but I found this comic thanks to this thread ~2 weeks ago now. Felt like noting that Aurilee got herself a shout out in the most recent one (no. 503), so congratulations on that

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    Not posted here 'til now, but I found this comic thanks to this thread ~2 weeks ago now. Felt like noting that Aurilee got herself a shout out in the most recent one (no. 503), so congratulations on that
    Yeah, I saw that.

Really I have to thank the creator (who goes by DeadpanSal, at least on the IWC forums) more than he has to thank me. I've really grown to like the comic a lot (it's one of only a handful of webcomics I follow) and because of the intensely regular schedule I can always count on a pick-me-up in the morning when I get in to work.

Earlier in this thread keybounce wondered if this thread increased traffic by an appreciable amount...I sincerely hope that the shoutout is a sign that it did. It deserves it.
    Last edited by aurilee; 2016-04-13 at 02:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

This is kind of a bizarre take on the screencap comic (like Darths & Droids started as but this keeps escalating instead of finding an equilibrium), but it's interesting and keeps a snappy pace so far as I've read. I especially like the cutaways to the chibi shorts or live action versions for jokes and banter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

29. - Top - End - #29

GnomePirate

Just binged the entire archive. It gets pretty great as it goes on, as the author starts going more surreal and denser and wackier than the template established by DMOTR and Darths & Droids. Episodes done out of order, combat calculators come to life, mute DJs playing mood music, good stuff. It manages to make The Great Divide and Secret Tunnel into a lot of fun. It's also a decent chunk of the way into Book 2 and still trucking, so it's probably not dying anytime soon.

Definitely adding this to my regular rotation.
    Last edited by Connington; 2016-04-18 at 06:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe the author(s) has comics lined up for some way into the future, certainly explains why they're comfortable to have such a high update rate. Incidentally, it looks like Shelby is all set to play the same role for the main party that Toph played for Team Avatar in the show. A different take, certainly, and an interesting one, but her main role looks to be to shake the three out of their comfort zones. Also, the Zuko Alone session was fun, I'm curious as to what Rube is trying to push Damien toward at the end of it, though.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me