New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Aangvanced (Avatar: The Last Airbender Screencap Comic)

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    I wonder if Mac will ever say something that doesn't make my distaste for her grow?

I don't have any experience with tabletop games, but someone like her would turn me off on the whole experience very quickly.
    None of the players or DM's in this comic should be considered representative of the hobby. That said Mac and Manny are perpetually neck and neck in the worst player/DM catagory. Manny sweeps the worst person end of things but that says a lot more about him than it does about Mac.
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

We also might find out that there was another reason for Mac's outburst at Damien that we don't know about yet. Her outburst mirrors Katera's reaction to Zukko joining the group in the original cartoons. In that case, we soon learned the reason was Zukko reminded Katera of the guy who killed her mother. I noticed that there was a screencap of Katera with a rather wild look on her face when Lex asked Shelby for help (rather than Mac) and called Shelby, "Hon." Yes, it was Mac who dropped Lex, but she may be acting out a bit anyway. Or it might be that something happened in the past between Mac and Damien, for example, maybe Damien broke up with her, and she still resents that.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's play spot that Korra scene! Looks to me like it's a season 4 shot, Korra's got short hair by the looks of things, and appears to be wearing her darker blue clothes rather than the light blue we see her in for the first couple of seasons. Also, Manny's notes predicting him as GM for Korra?

Also also, Damien and Rick adventuring through Shelby and Manny's temple is fun, I like that Shelby's much stricter on the checks than Manny is.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    Let's play spot that Korra scene! Looks to me like it's a season 4 shot, Korra's got short hair by the looks of things, and appears to be wearing her darker blue clothes rather than the light blue we see her in for the first couple of seasons. Also, Manny's notes predicting him as GM for Korra?

Also also, Damien and Rick adventuring through Shelby and Manny's temple is fun, I like that Shelby's much stricter on the checks than Manny is.
    It does seem like Manny will GM Korra. That leaves the question of how/why they let him GM another campaign. Alternatively, someone could take his notes and use them to make a new campaign. After seeing her joint-GM this temple I'm hoping Shelby's the new GM.

I really enjoy watching Damien and Rick team up here. I feel like with every strip I like Damien more and more. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

So are we supposed to figure out what is being said in 989? Or is the point that it's unintelligible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't tell what episode that is. That's definitely season 4, but the simple cloudy background doesn't look like it gives it away. And this table needs four more years of Manny like it needs a convex combat grid.

Damien's almost my favorite character. But really, I'm going with Mac. Yeah she's mean and focused on all the wrong things, but I think I relate to her most.

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    So are we supposed to figure out what is being said in 989? Or is the point that it's unintelligible?
    That's just the original dialogue being strangled: "For trying to take our sun stone you must be severely punished. You're obviously thieves here to steal our treasure!" The other one is "Ran and Shao" the dragons they talk about immediately after, but I don't really know what Lex said after that.
    . . .

7. - Top - End - #277

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Aeons View Post

That's just the original dialogue being strangled: "For trying to take our sun stone you must be severely punished. You're obviously thieves here to steal our treasure!" The other one is "Ran and Shao" the dragons they talk about immediately after, but I don't really know what Lex said after that.
    Ah, thanks for that Aeons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

8. - Top - End - #278

"Knowledge: Bob Kane!"

Awww they're bonding again. ^_^
    the rain and the thunder

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

9. - Top - End - #279

Damien and Rick learning firebending makes me smile. ^_^

I like to think that Manny's mechanic for firebending was a subtle way to help out Damien. We saw before that Manny admired Damien, so maybe that's shining through a bit.

Some great table moments are happening. :')
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course Shelby is the reason Saitama exists

Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    Damien and Rick learning firebending makes me smile. ^_^

I like to think that Manny's mechanic for firebending was a subtle way to help out Damien. We saw before that Manny admired Damien, so maybe that's shining through a bit.
    I agree that this was a very nice session, but I don't think I interpreted it exactly the same way. I agree that this worked out great for Damien, but I think there may be a bit more to it than what you may be thinking. I agree that there a lot of compatibility between the two of them, though.

I think Manny is like one of those obsessive movie directors who views himself as creating art and takes that way too seriously. Remember the one session where he was trying to imitate Tarantino, so everything was out of order? In the current session: "I want it to scream avante garde! Auteur incarnate! Dynamicism!" That's why he got mad at Lex for goofing around and why Manny didn't really care about the traps that Shelby set ("Traps are played (-out). Gauche. Donzo.") and why he was crying at how beautiful this session turned out to be at the end. Manny was going to help the players as long as it seemed that they might create the sort of art that he was hoping for. Since they did that so well this time, he was so happy that he rewarded them very well at the end of the session.

This is also one of the reasons why Manny was slipping drugs into their drinks and so on earlier. He wanted the experience to be as realistic and intense as possible. Nothing less would do! Also, Manny is nuts.

But yes, Manny isn't really evil, he just gets much too carried away at times. Unfortunately, from his point of view, anyone who sabotages his art is evil, so he may retaliate viciously against the players whenever he thinks they are doing that. But he also can be generous, especially for the sake of his art.

Back to Damien: He wants to cut loose and be a performer, so that worked very well with Manny acting like a director. Manny, of course, wants Damien to be able to do that and therefore will enable and reward his performances.

One more thing: I double-checked and the Manny really did set up the idea that firebending could be done without a roll in some previous sessions, as Rick/Aang had said. For example, Jeong Jeong really had tried to teach Aang that. It's nice to see the story being consistent about details like that.

And grats for going past 1000 pages! (One more one more thing)
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-11-11 at 09:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Firebending comes from expression."

Page 18
    Iroh: Do not TELL me what you roll, do not SAY what you will do, a master simply SHOWS.

Page 281
    Jeong Jeong: The waterbender dances, the fisherman rolls his checks. But the firebender only burns.
    Jeong Jeong: Observe the sun, too. Who makes checks for the sun? If the sun rolls a 1, does anyone see?

Page 828
    Rick: Unless I can just have some magic way I can just say I push back the fire without a roll!
    Manny: Okay, start of a new round.
    Rick: Wait, that worked?!

Page 1001
    Manny: You both mastered Firebending.
    . . .

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I agree that this was a very nice session, but I don't think I interpreted it exactly the same way. I agree that this worked out great for Damien, but I think there may be a bit more to it than what you may be thinking. I agree that there a lot of compatibility between the two of them, though.

I think Manny is like one of those obsessive movie directors who views himself as creating art and takes that way too seriously. Remember the one session where he was trying to imitate Tarantino, so everything was out of order? In the current session: "I want it to scream avante garde! Auteur incarnate! Dynamicism!" That's why he got mad at Lex for goofing around and why Manny didn't really care about the traps that Shelby set ("Traps are played (-out). Gauche. Donzo.") and why he was crying at how beautiful this session turned out to be at the end. Manny was going to help the players as long as it seemed that they might create the sort of art that he was hoping for. Since they did that so well this time, he was so happy that he rewarded them very well at the end of the session.

This is also one of the reasons why Manny was slipping drugs into their drinks and so on earlier. He wanted the experience to be as realistic and intense as possible. Nothing less would do! Also, Manny is nuts.

But yes, Manny isn't really evil, he just gets much too carried away at times. Unfortunately, from his point of view, anyone who sabotages his art is evil, so he may retaliate viciously against the players whenever he thinks they are doing that. But he also can be generous, especially for the sake of his art.

Back to Damien: He wants to cut loose and be a performer, so that worked very well with Manny acting like a director. Manny, of course, wants Damien to be able to do that and therefore will enable and reward his performances.
    Hmmm I think you're right. I guess this was just a case where Manny's needs aligned with Damien's needs (and Rick's need for a fun session with a positive ending).

It's good to get back to this view of Manny. Obviously it's easy to look at how crazy he gets (the infamous drugging incident for example) and declare him a horrible person, but you can see here that he's just as flawed as everyone else at the table. Everyone there wants something different out of a campaign, and the conflict happens because they all go after it with equal zeal (or in early-Damien's case, sulk with zeal ). Unfortunately, Manny's issues just seem to present themselves worse because he's in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    One more thing: I double-checked and the Manny really did set up the idea that firebending could be done without a roll in some previous sessions, as Rick/Aang had said. For example, Jeong Jeong really had tried to teach Aang that. It's nice to see the story being consistent about details like that.

And grats for going past 1000 pages! (One more one more thing)
    The foreshadowing really was stellar. This strip as a whole has a very well-constructed narrative with very little feeling piece-meal or off the cuff.

And +1 to the congrats on 1000 pages! Here's to 1000 more

Regarding recent events...I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Lex's module and I'm glad he's stretching his wings! (Even if it required some alcoholic lubricant). Shelby playing Sokka will also be interesting. The Lexby ship is sailing strong

And was that a hint that Shelby and Damien dated previously? Their awkwardness seemed to be a bit more than just a standard "long time no see".
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Something from Rick/Damien's adventure that hasn't been commented on yet, the potential foreshadowing of the roles to be played in Korra. Rick as Linn (Lyn? Lin?) Beifong, Damien as Mako? Would that put Mac as Korra? Maybe the arc is about her rediscovering how to roleplay and not just rollplay?

Also, was the firebending not needing rolling thing not as obvious as I thought it was? Without wanting to say 'I saw it coming!' after the fact, it did seem to be clear to me all the way back with Zuko and the candles.

Also also, congratulations on 1000 strips

Show

15. - Top - End - #285

Something from Rick/Damien's adventure that hasn't been commented on yet, the potential foreshadowing of the roles to be played in Korra. Rick as Linn (Lyn? Lin?) Beifong, Damien as Mako? Would that put Mac as Korra? Maybe the arc is about her rediscovering how to roleplay and not just rollplay?
    I was thinking Damien as Mako and maybe Rick as Bolin (although Lex would also fit that part pretty well).

Honestly I was kind of hoping to see Rick play Tenzin, but that may be a bit too obvious.

Definitely Mac for Korra though.

Also, was the firebending not needing rolling thing not as obvious as I thought it was? Without wanting to say 'I saw it coming!' after the fact, it did seem to be clear to me all the way back with Zuko and the candles.

Also also, congratulations on 1000 strips
    I remember thinking about firebending possibly being roll-less back with Aang's and Zuko's lessons, but I had basically forgotten about that until the dragons showed up.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    And was that a hint that Shelby and Damien dated previously? Their awkwardness seemed to be a bit more than just a standard "long time no see".
    Shelby was a favorite of Damien's mom, so it makes sense that they were together pretty often. But what would their dates have even been like? I just picture some manic teen on a sugar high reenacting the time when she shut down the local Game Empire by herself while her surly date in a too-small rented suit slumps behind the menu at the Olive Garden wishing the night would end quicker. If Lexby is a ship sailing proud, Damielby is probably like an uncomfortable silence on It's A Small World.
    . . .

17. - Top - End - #287

Shelby was a favorite of Damien's mom, so it makes sense that they were together pretty often. But what would their dates have even been like? I just picture some manic teen on a sugar high reenacting the time when she shut down the local Game Empire by herself while her surly date in a too-small rented suit slumps behind the menu at the Olive Garden wishing the night would end quicker. If Lexby is a ship sailing proud, Damielby is probably like an uncomfortable silence on It's A Small World.
    Needless to say, if they *were* dating, I can easily see why it didn't last.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

So, we have our list of PC's for Korra now. No Lin/Linn/Lyn (seriously, is it just Lin?), but everyone else is more or less as expected. We also have a guessing game for who's going where.

Mine are as follows;

Spoiler: Spoilers for no peeking until you've done your guesses =P
    Show

DM = Damien - It's been discussed it before, and there certainly seems to be some foreshadowing in the comic itself, but I think Damien would make a really good DM. That said, this is the shakiest of my guesses, because the whole campaign world is definitely Manny's baby, so it's entirely possible he'll still be at the reigns.

Korra = Shelby - Partly because Korra displays near full avatar power over elements from an extremely early age (something Aang noticeably doesn't do) and we know that Shelby makes crazy strong builds (citation - Saitama), and we see Korra going full pelt out of the gates in the series rather than taking a more cautious approach. It's possible it'll be Mac instead, but I think Shelby's most likely for reasons I will outline with the next PC.

Asami = Lex - I think this is my most confident one. Lex is looking for ways to be competent that aren't based around shooting blasts of elements at people, and he's been doing knowledge: batman recently. Asami fits this nicely. Plus, there's Korrasami! Who doesn't want to ship Lexby?

Mako = Mac - Only tentative on this one. Mako was notoriously wooden early in Korra, and we know that Mac is roleplay deficient. Also, Makorra was a thing for a few seasons, and we know Shelby/Mac have some history together (I've read it as potentially romantic, but I may be misreading). Also, and something I just noticed, Mac/Mako sound similar, which would fit Mac's lacklustre RP habits.

Bolin = Rick - This is more or less a guess if I'm honest. If Damien isn't DM, Rick almost certainly will be I think. But Bolin seems goofy enough that Rick (in his lighter moments) could well play him.

Tenzin = Manny - Ousted from his DM position, Manny gets a bit stuck up about it all and is determined that the others all play properly More seriously, I just see Tenzin as more likely to be Manny than Rick, and unlikely to be any of the other cast.

Jinora = Rube - I just get a feeling that Rube is going to want to play a more light-hearted character in Korra. Jinora seems like she'd be Rube's speed. Lots of RP potential, not necessarily combat heavy, just generally more chill than Azula.

Edit - *Inserts tongue firmly in cheek* Also, at the author, the Reds and Blues were blown forward through time, that's obviously why everything was shiny and different. I mean, they did a stage play and everything for it
    Last edited by Comissar; 2016-11-19 at 03:24 PM.

Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Ok, casting game

Spoiler: My wild guesses
    Show

It will be a bit crazy... please don't kill me

Manny : Bolin. I'm rooting for the idea of having the brothers playing the brothers, reconnecting after the last campaign. Why Manny for Bolin? I imagine that a Manny without DM powers is a much more kinder and fun Manny.
    Rick : Jinora. I think that, despite all that can be said, he'll always play more or less pacific characters. Jinora fits well. And as she's not a lot on screen (at least in first season if I remember well), it opens the possibility that he plays sometimes a second character (Lin)
    Mack : Korra. I found that Korra fits really well for her. During the whole avatar campaign, she stays that powerplayer, using roleplay only when useful to buff her up. That works well with the begining of Korra and it would be interesting to have Mack evolving about roleplay in this campaign.
    Lex : DM. The boiling rock Module is a sign. He wants to be more proactive in the group. It could be a good way to improve for him. And with a new DM (with a little experience in this task), it opens to great developments and his own way to dm and his mistakeson the way. Plus, the main driving part of season 1 is a strange and crazy sport.
    Damien : Tenzin. Damien said his new character would be beyond Zuko. I thinks that he could be great as Tenzin, trying to be a good guide, on the way to airbending to Korra roleplaying to Mack.
    Rube : Mako. BPB ! I think that Rube could be great in this character. Focusing a lot about winning and improving, Mako fits well. Plus it's a solitary guy trying to find his place in the group, with some difficulties to deal new type of relationships (characters' romances).
    Shelby : Asami. A non-bending character that powerful? That's a Shelby Brady work!

20. - Top - End - #290

Spoiler: My Guesses!
    Show

DM - Rube: After last campaign he wants to try something new, just like how Manny started the Aang campaign.
    Korra - Mac: She's due for some character growth.
    Asami - Shelby: Gives her a chance to play a non-bender.
    Mako - Damien: I remember him being sulky, so Damien is a good fit IMO. :P
    Bolin - Lex: I remember him being a bit goofy, so yeah.
    Tenzin - Rick: He seems like he'd enjoy doing the wise elder thing.
    Jinora - Manny: Clearly needs some time as a kid.

The latest update implies Damien will be the DM, but I'm hoping for Rube the DM.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Of course Shelby is the reason Saitama exists
    Geez, when I said I liked seeing Shelby as the OPM of D&D, I didn't mean it literally...

Not complaining of course. That was awesome!

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Oh god !
    The last page, 1032, is hilarious ! That's how you start a riot !

23. - Top - End - #293

As someone who is totally and irrationally neurotic about certain food items touching other food items, I here ya Rube. Solidarity brother.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rube is driven by two things: never let anything stop him from getting to play at the table, don't get other food on the turkey.
    . . .

25. - Top - End - #295

RedKnightGirl

I want to see a confrontation between Mac and Pete from Darths and Droids. How do the Battousai match up against a literal exploding die?
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

26. - Top - End - #296

Rube is driven by two things: never let anything stop him from getting to play at the table, don't get other food on the turkey.
    If I could, I'd buy Rube a divided plate for Christmas. They're a godsend.

Quote Originally Posted by GAAD View Post

I want to see a confrontation between Mac and Pete from Darths and Droids. How do the Battousai match up against a literal exploding die?
    I have a feeling Mac and Pete would get along quite well.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pete would have really liked Praxis too. Though Pete would probably have never deleted the program if it was up to him.
    . . .

28. - Top - End - #298

NecromancerGuy

That food touching other food thing is kind of weird to me. Maybe because I make weird food slurries.

Cut up some turkey. Get some stuffing. Mix it into some mashed potatoes. Cover that glorious creation with a boatload of gravy. Mix it up even more. Add some additional seasonings. Mix it up even more than before. Chow down.

If you're feeling fancy, get some dinner rolls and use your slurry as a dip.

Oh, and keep a little cranberry sauce on the side for dessert. You can eat the glory that is a pumpkin pie later. After you've digested everything else.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As far as I can tell, Overcasting in comic is taking a minus to the attack/cast/performance roll for a matching bonus(possibly at a modifier, depending on maths) to the damage roll. I've seen fixed versions in a few tabletop games- Great Weapons Master in 5E for instance-but never one with total fluidity like this. Its kinda awesome though.

30. - Top - End - #300

For whatever reason, I feel like Rube's speech at Mai is almost a sign that he's stabilising? I mean, it doesn't sound stable, but I feel myself saying "Yeah! Go Rube!" when I read it. It's like he's finally stating why he's got the problems he's got and he's accepted that? Maybe that's the first step for the gaang to really reach him? I dunno. I kind of like battle-crazed Rube (especially when he's playing volleyball), so maybe I'm just being biased.

Also Mai's great.

Also Shellcat. <3

EDIT: And as of the newest comic Rube is definitely in breakdown mode. At least he and Manny might work out a few issues?
    Last edited by aurilee; 2016-11-29 at 12:08 PM.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!