New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: D&D Aangvanced (Avatar: The Last Airbender Screencap Comic)

Isn't that how she always is with Lex?

I honestly don't remember her being anything but mean to Lex.

I wish people would call her out on her bad behavior more often. (In story.)

2. - Top - End - #542
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    Isn't that how she always is with Lex?

I honestly don't remember her being anything but mean to Lex.

I wish people would call her out on her bad behavior more often. (In story.)
    I think the main reason people don't is because Manny has been around, and compared to his DMing style, a lot of the stuff she does doesn't seem as bad to them.
    Me: I gather the corpses of the orcs!
    DM: And give them a proper funeral?
    Me: No silly, I gather then up and glue them together into a statue of me!
    DM: But how- Why- You're playing an animated table! You can't gather things! You lack arms!
    Other player: That's your problem with that statement?
    I do a D&D Campaign Comic for Sword Art Online now, check it out here.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I don't know if Allie is here naive or a master of manipulation faking innocence to corner Mack and force her to roleplay a little bit, but I love it !

On another subject, does anyone know what's the thing with Armitage (Hi Armitage !)? I get the feeling that's more that just the fact that he's a recuring villain, but I don't know what. Is that some reference or allusion to something?

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Now its as if Mac really wants to roleplay, but is too afraid. She probably feels much safer and more in control with numbers.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JohanOfKitten View Post
    I don't know if Allie is here naive or a master of manipulation faking innocence to corner Mack and force her to roleplay a little bit, but I love it !
    I'm not sure myself. But either way is interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by JohanOfKitten View Post
    On another subject, does anyone know what's the thing with Armitage (Hi Armitage !)? I get the feeling that's more that just the fact that he's a recuring villain, but I don't know what. Is that some reference or allusion to something?
    No, the author is just being silly.

Poor Mac. Also, I really like that this page has no dialogue. It's just the footage, but telling a different decision than what Asami faced.
    . . .

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Aeons View Post
    Poor Mac. Also, I really like that this page has no dialogue. It's just the footage, but telling a different decision than what Asami faced.
    Also poor everyone else because they are getting their hopes up. I think Mac is really trying, but I wonder if she'll act afterwards as if it's just a fake-out. Allie is playing Hiroshi, right?

Ironically, if it were played straight, it would have been nice roleplaying.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Wow. Mac has issues.

Part of me wants to know why- I mean Damien at the start of the comic had less issues roleplaying and he learned the game under his mother.

Another part knows better than that- I mean Damien at the start of the comic had less issues roleplaying and he learned the game under his mother.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. Very interesting. Is this another case of the well meaning table accidentally damaging someone? She does have a point that the table keeps trying to force her to roleplay.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Huh. Very interesting. Is this another case of the well meaning table accidentally damaging someone? She does have a point that the table keeps trying to force her to roleplay.
    To be fair, they are playing a role playing game.
    So some effort at roleplaying could be expected.
    I mean something along the lines of „My character does X” would suffice.
    No one expects Shakespeare.
    Okay, maybe Mac does considering she called Allie out on her „Korra says...”
    But that might be part of the problem.
    And that she said she can't makes me think that she made some really bad experiences with actually playing her character.
    Some previous group maybe?
    So, while the table could just let her play a game of dice getting her to let go and roleplay might be more helpful.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Mac isn't even managing to get up and walk away from the table as she is announcing that she is doing. I don't think our expectations that 'she should be able to at least do "x"' are worth much.

Obviously Rube and Ellie don't know Mac's history and are flabbergasted. I wonder if any of the others know more. Shelby wasn't cutting Mac much slack. I wonder if Rick and Manny hoped that the session would force Mac to roleplay. If so, that backfired.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    To be fair, they are playing a role playing game.
    So some effort at roleplaying could be expected.
    I mean something along the lines of „My character does X” would suffice.
    No one expects Shakespeare.
    Okay, maybe Mac does considering she called Allie out on her „Korra says...”
    But that might be part of the problem.
    And that she said she can't makes me think that she made some really bad experiences with actually playing her character.
    Some previous group maybe?
    So, while the table could just let her play a game of dice getting her to let go and roleplay might be more helpful.
    It's also a game, not a group therapy session. Rick has a bad habit of trying to 'fix' his friends, and it has previously backfired badly.

12. - Top - End - #552

No, the author is just being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I think Rick was trying to do with her what he did with Manny. Brute-force therapy.

But Manny doesn't work like Mac. Manny layed his problems on the table. He had already exposed himself, and even expressed a desire to change to a certain extent. Mac has internalised everything. Just forcing her to do something isn't going to help. Once again, Rick has misread the situation and in trying to help someone, he has possibly made it worse (making Mac internalise things even more...just look at how "totally okay" she is in the next session!). He did the same thing with Rube, and then Damien had to step in as a friend to help him.

Given that Rube feels like he owes Mac (and possibly has feelings for her), I wouldn't be surprised if Rube helps her like Damien helped him.

Watching Mac's speech bubbles turn pink like that was really heartbreaking tbh. I've been exactly where she was (having internalised problems, not wanting to deal with it, having your well-meaning friends try to force it out of you) and it can really be humiliating, you feel completely vulnerable. I've never empathised with Mac as much as I did at that moment.

Interesting notes regarding Mac's roleplaying:
    In the supposedly non-canon exchange here Shelby specifically apologises to Mac, whereas the rest seem to just be apologising to Manny.

This further makes it seem that Shelby knows more about why Mac can't/won't roleplay and why she seems to finds it more uncomfortable to poke at her for it. Of course, she's also pretty forceful about getting her to roleplay during the confrontation.

Looking back at her first session, Shelby was there. And the DM (Monty...is he mentioned anywhere else?) doesn't "do" story. Mac even seems interested in the story. But she got such a bombardment that she threw herself into the math, forgot about the whole concept of a story and Shelby congratulated her for it. I have a feeling that maybe Mac did try roleplaying at some point...and "lost" because of it. Shelby was likely there. Now what I want to know is who else was there and what the circumstances were...
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #553

New comic is up.

Lex has an awesome dad.

That is all.
    the rain and the thunder

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

14. - Top - End - #554
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    New comic is up.

Lex has an awesome dad.

That is all.
    I want a dad that waits by the phone to bail me out with fatherly advice of varying quality!

And yeah, solid analysis on Mac. She may need a hug. She'll thrash around, but still needs it.
    . . .

15. - Top - End - #555

Not sure if the motion blur on Korra's face in that last panel was intentional or not, but it works really well.

Actually, the screencaps in general for the last few strips have been exceptional.

Korra's face for "I'm not" in 1394 is so good I've re-read that strip almost 5 times now. :P
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Not sure if the motion blur on Korra's face in that last panel was intentional or not, but it works really well.
    I stepped through much of that fight frame by frame. It looked like they used a lot of cheap animation techniques. Generally, only every other frame was drawn for the fight. In that little bit the the frame was taken from, I think they tried to make the motion look less jerky by adding faint images of where Kora had been or was going to in the frames. It worked like this: in one frame would see where she was, but also where she had been in the previous frame was shown faintly. Then in the next frame she wouldn't move, but where she would move to would be shown faintly rather than where she had been. Then in the next frame, she would actually move, but where she had been would still be shown faintly. Then, again, she wouldn't move, but you would be shown faintly where she would move to, rather than where she had been. As a result, she was only actually moving every other frame. The result was somewhat like a slow motion effect but the motion seemed pretty fluid.

In other parts of the fight, sometimes a character would move in one frame, then some objects (e.g., stones) would move in the next, then it the character would move, then the objects. The affect was more jerky in those cases.

Looking at other scenes in that episode, sometime frames were repeated as many as three times in a row even though one or more character were moving. Again, the result was jerkiness. However, if the camera was panning, you would see that effect every frame.

17. - Top - End - #557

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I stepped through much of that fight frame by frame. It looked like they used a lot of cheap animation techniques. Generally, only every other frame was drawn for the fight. In that little bit the the frame was taken from, I think they tried to make the motion look less jerky by adding faint images of where Kora had been or was going to in the frames. It worked like this: in one frame would see where she was, but also where she had been in the previous frame was shown faintly. Then in the next frame she wouldn't move, but where she would move to would be shown faintly rather than where she had been. Then in the next frame, she would actually move, but where she had been would still be shown faintly. Then, again, she wouldn't move, but you would be shown faintly where she would move to, rather than where she had been. As a result, she was only actually moving every other frame. The result was somewhat like a slow motion effect but the motion seemed pretty fluid.

In other parts of the fight, sometimes a character would move in one frame, then some objects (e.g., stones) would move in the next, then it the character would move, then the objects. The affect was more jerky in those cases.

Looking at other scenes in that episode, sometime frames were repeated as many as three times in a row even though one or more character were moving. Again, the result was jerkiness. However, if the camera was panning, you would see that effect every frame.
    Wow, I was actually just referring to the captured frame, but that's an awesomely detailed analysis.

I didn't notice the jerkiness when watching, but then, that was a while ago so if I did notice, I simply don't remember. Regardless, it resulted in a screencap with nice motion to it.

And on to the new strip just posted...

ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap

Damien's about to drop a bomb on Allie's big moment, and I have a feeling it'll be about Lex's module and Damien's mom being all sorts of evil.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

You made me curious about why there was another faded image of Korra on that screenshot, then I got even more curious when I saw the individual frames.

And on to the new strip just posted...

ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap

Damien's about to drop a bomb on Allie's big moment, and I have a feeling it'll be about Lex's module and Damien's mom being all sorts of evil.
    Maybe it's not about Lex's module or at least not only about that...

Spoiler: but it's probably about Damien's mother being all sorts of evil.
    Show
    We had some hints that Tarriok could have designed by Damien's mom, then Damien claimed that he was getting a call, but without his phone ringing. I wonder if he called his mom and asked if she statted Tarriok and found out that he's a bloodbender. (In the cartoon, Tarriok resorts to using bloodbending shortly after the current screengrabs.)

Since Korra gets captured by Tarriok using bloodbending in the cartoon, I assume the comic will also need to show Tarriok bloodbending. I don't know how else the comic could explain Korra being captured.

Even if Tarriok had bloodbending built in, Rick didn't have to use it. I wonder what this will say about Rick.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Dwarf in the Playground

It could be anything. Maybe the call was from Bonnie and she's in the Emergency Room. The rest of the show is screencaps from Grey's Anatomy.
    . . .

20. - Top - End - #560

Maybe it's not about Lex's module or at least not only about that...
    There have been lots of hints dropped that something's going to happen with his module. There have been delays in getting it published and Janine has apparently not been giving them any real updates with that.

Spoiler: but it's probably about Damien's mother being all sorts of evil.
    Show
    We had some hints that Tarriok could have designed by Damien's mom, then Damien claimed that he was getting a call, but without his phone ringing. I wonder if he called his mom and asked if she statted Tarriok and found out that he's a bloodbender. (In the cartoon, Tarriok resorts to using bloodbending shortly after the current screengrabs.)

Since Korra gets captured by Tarriok using bloodbending in the cartoon, I assume the comic will also need to show Tarriok bloodbending. I don't know how else the comic could explain Korra being captured.

Even if Tarriok had bloodbending built in, Rick didn't have to use it. I wonder what this will say about Rick.
    Spoiler: responding to spoiler-ed things
    Show

I actually thought that the bloodbending thing, combined with the "You don't know who created him!" line was a sign that Mac made him. She seemed to like bloodbending with Katara and we know she helped Rick with the campaign.

But I still think the call is about/from Damien's mom and I still think she's evil and I still think she should be represented by Queen Beryl and/or Queen Metaria in the comic (because that's how I've been imagining her in my head this whole time).

It could be anything. Maybe the call was from Bonnie and she's in the Emergency Room. The rest of the show is screencaps from Grey's Anatomy.
    With Damien as Patrick Dempsey's character?

Preferably it'd be screencaps from House:

Rube as House
    Damien as Wilson
    Allie as Chase
    Shelby as Cameron
    Mac as Foreman
    Lex as Cuddy
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

21. - Top - End - #561
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

One thing I've noticed is that the campaigns Mary is most involved in (Aangvanced and the Crystal GMs) have been converted into Shadowrun, as well as the fact that Manny tried to convince another one of the campaigns mentioned as part of this arc to do the same. It's also been mentioned that Mary Weers has only run Shadowrun about four times on her tours in the past nine years, and every comic mentioned so far as a campaign of interest has been D&D at some point. I don't think she is as interested in/in the business of Shadowrun as she is D&D, so it's possible the change could be in relation to that. Or more likely, the creators just wanted to do Shadowrun, and I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist. But we'll see who's laughing when the aliens invade and steal our gold! Muhahhahahah *Tinfoil hat*
    DM: But how- Why- You're playing an animated table! You can't gather things! You lack arms!

22. - Top - End - #562

Quote Originally Posted by Freed View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that the campaigns Mary is most involved in (Aangvanced and the Crystal GMs) have been converted into Shadowrun, as well as the fact that Manny tried to convince another one of the campaigns mentioned as part of this arc to do the same. It's also been mentioned that Mary Weers has only run Shadowrun about four times on her tours in the past nine years, and every comic mentioned so far as a campaign of interest has been D&D at some point. I don't think she is as interested in/in the business of Shadowrun as she is D&D, so it's possible the change could be in relation to that. Or more likely, the creators just wanted to do Shadowrun, and I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist. But we'll see who's laughing when the aliens invade and steal our gold! Muhahhahahah *Tinfoil hat*
    No I actually like that theory a lot.

Switching to Shadowrun is a way to protect your campaign from the death grip of Mary Weers.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

23. - Top - End - #563
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, this looks bleak. I hope that the Crystal GM's sale was yet to go through.

24. - Top - End - #564

Ah, so it was Janine, not Mary.

Poor Lex...I was on the fence about Janine for a while, but it seems like she's not actually a bad person, and she did try to break away from her mother.

But then the witch found her.

Seriously hate Mary Weers now. Allie needs to go tear her down. It's her turn now to stand up for Lex! (just had a mental image of Allie leading a Care Bear Countdown against No Heart Mary Weers)
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well, I was wrong. I'm not surprised that this happened, but I didn't think it would be the first thing Damien would talk about. I thought it might come up later.

Korra did seem overaggressive in the cartoon when she kept going after Tarriok after she had already apparently beaten him. She was angry because of the way he had dismissed her as the Avatar. In comic, she will probably take out her frustration over Lex's project on him, instead, I think.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-07-26 at 03:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566

Well, I was wrong. I'm not surprised that this happened, but I didn't think it would be the first thing Damien would talk about. I thought it might come up later.

Korra did seem overaggressive in the cartoon when she kept going after Tarriok after she had already apparently beaten him. She was angry because of the way he had dismissed her as the Avatar. In comic, she will probably take out her frustration over Lex's project on him, instead, I think.
    Possibly.

Spoiler: should I worry about spoiling the show? well I will for now
    Show
    It's also possible that her kidnapping is Rick's weird way of trying to calm her down? Or Mac takes over at that point (again, I think she may have statted Tarrlok).

Lex hasn't said anything yet, which makes me worried. I always liked him and he was so proud of his game...I wonder what he'll do next?
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

27. - Top - End - #567
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lex hasn't said anything yet, which makes me worried. I always liked him and he was so proud of his game...I wonder what he'll do next?
    Of course, of everyone at the table he's gonna take it the hardest. At least he has Shelby!
    . . .

28. - Top - End - #568
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

We need to put Tom on some sort of blacklist for campaigns.

29. - Top - End - #569

Moral of the story: don't trust guys in suits.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

30. - Top - End - #570
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, there's a side story in GMs again. I think it's pretty relevant to the table!

http://crystalgms.thecomicseries.com/comics/484/
    . . .