New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: D&D Aangvanced (Avatar: The Last Airbender Screencap Comic)

Working my way through this. it's hysterical! Especially The Great Divide..

Spoiler
    Show
    The Great Divide was a drinking game run by a guest DM... that explains a LOT!
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Got back to this after slacking and just finished Session 10.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did Praxis just die?

It was really unclear.

Also what the hell kind of world do the players live in, exactly...?
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Not entirely sure what was going on with Praxis if I'm honest, everything else seems pretty mundane in origin (if not expression )

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    Not entirely sure what was going on with Praxis if I'm honest, everything else seems pretty mundane in origin (if not expression )
    How ironic that your avatar is making your comment ironic in a thread about an Avatar comic.

Also...

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post

Also...

You will worry even more.

Wait!! How did you even see that if you only got to Chapter 10? That was page 366, and Session 11 starts with 201.

Unfortunately, it's hard to talk about this without giving spoilers given that people are getting caught up in archives, but I think that was a bit of a spoiler right there. At least it would have been for me at the time.

ADDED: Ironically, in the latest update, we learn that McKenzie will still be talking about Praxis in updates that won't come out for a while.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-04-21 at 07:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    You will worry even more.

Wait!! How did you even see that if you only got to Chapter 10? That was page 366, and Session 11 starts with 201.
    What do you think I was doing at work today?

I gotta say, though, I appreciate the surreal elements that make this thing stand out from the more prosaic (but still funny) screencap RPG comics.

Kinda want to hug

Spoiler
    Show
    Rube

though. I think he picked up a bad misunderstanding somewhere.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kinda want to hug

Spoiler
    Show
    Rube

though. I think he picked up a bad misunderstanding somewhere.
    You are tempting me so much to post spoilers!

Spoiler: Current spoiler. Seriously, don't read it.
    Show
    A punch seems much more appropriate ATM
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-04-21 at 08:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Well I caught up, and to be fair,

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone in this game is an over the top *******, except maybe Rick. Rube's just being proactive about it.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Out of order, but it took me a while to be able to post this:
    What do you think I was doing at work today?
    Now that it won't do you any good then, I'll point out that it's possible to download the entire Book 1 contents here in cbr format. Unfortunately, they pages don't seem to be divided into sessions, but it still might be much faster than going through the pages online. (It just dawned on me that it would be a good to post that. Actually it would be good to add to the OP, although I can't do it.) (And now I know that you would have already seen that, anyway.)

OK, so here is what I thought would have been a spoiler:

Spoiler: Episode 13 spoiler
    Show
    I really thought that "David", who was playing Blue Spirit, was really an AI created by Manny until it was revealed that it was Damien when Zuko was unmasked. If McKenzie could create Praxis, why couldn't Manny create an AI, too?

And now, way out of order:

Got back to this after slacking and just finished Session 10.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did Praxis just die?

It was really unclear.

Also what the hell kind of world do the players live in, exactly...?
    Spoiler: Praxis speculation
    Show
    I'm pretty sure that McKenzie really did delete Praxis. I would also bet that she has backups. And I also think she dumped Lex as a boyfriend and is a least thinking of Praxis as being a better alternative.

And yeah, it's a pretty crazy world, isn't it. And the Book 1 has a foreword which talks about the characters being based on real people. Hmm. I really really hope there is a lot of exaggeration.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-04-21 at 09:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Well, like the Darths & Droids cast, they definitely echo gamer archetypes that you'd expect from the canon characters (okay, D&D has Jim playing foil to Qui-Gonn's wisdom, Padmé's peaceful nature, and Han's competence, but you know, in general), and just like the canon characters end up exaggerated, it doesn't surprise me that the real-life gamer bases are also exaggerated. Terrifyingly.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

How ironic that your avatar is making your comment ironic in a thread about an Avatar comic.
    I don't know what you are talking about. Everything is perfectly normal.

But yes, there's some interesting personalities on display here.

Spoiler: Second season(?) spoiler, don't read 'til you're at least that far
    Show
    I don't think Rube is being a bad person, he's just playing the role he's been given, and playing it to the best of his abilities. Of everyone, save perhaps Damien in more recent comics, he's the one who gets most into character. Azula just so happens to be an unpleasant such and such, and was written that way by Damien. Note that Rube's much less antagonistic when DMing Damien's 'Zuko Alone' session.

Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: Second season(?) spoiler, don't read 'til you're at least that far
    Show
    I don't think Rube is being a bad person, he's just playing the role he's been given, and playing it to the best of his abilities. Of everyone, save perhaps Damien in more recent comics, he's the one who gets most into character. Azula just so happens to be an unpleasant such and such, and was written that way by Damien. Note that Rube's much less antagonistic when DMing Damien's 'Zuko Alone' session.
    Spoiler: Ditto on the spoiler warning
    Show
    Well, it's not what he's doing IC, it's his OOC comments. Manny wants the game to be immersive, so he's making the players suffer when the characters do, and Rube is helping his brother. (It's a wonder Manny didn't throw a glass of ice water on Lex each time Sokko fell in the water while talking to the princess.) Nice people normally don't say things like this. That's pretty evil! And funny. As with the romance scenes in Darths and Droids, the distinction between what's IC and OOC is becoming very blurred at times. While OOC, Rube is acting evil, like Azula, at least during the current pages.

I'm loving all of the "That's not how roleplaying works!"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Ditto on the spoiler warning
    Show
    Well, it's not what he's doing IC, it's his OOC comments. Manny wants the game to be immersive, so he's making the players suffer when the characters do, and Rube is helping his brother. (It's a wonder Manny didn't throw a glass of ice water on Lex each time Sokko fell in the water while talking to the princess.) Nice people normally don't say things like this. That's pretty evil! And funny. As with the romance scenes in Darths and Droids, the distinction between what's IC and OOC is becoming very blurred at times. While OOC, Rube is acting evil, like Azula, at least during the current pages.

I'm loving all of the "That's not how roleplaying works!"
    Spoiler: Continued second 'season' spoilers
    Show
    I'd argue that's still in character. Yes it's mean, no doubt about that, and hellishly cruel to use OOC information as IC ammunition, but I still read that as Azula rather than Rube. Note he refers to himself as one of the 'girls'. The party as a whole has a very shaky grasp of IC/OOC separation. The question then becomes 'Is Rube socially aware enough to know why he shouldn't do something like that, even if he is acting as the kind of person who would?' It looks like he very much isn't, or perhaps wasn't aware that Lex was unaware of the state of things. He drops that particular line of pressure after the linked page, after all.

Speaking of IC/OOC separation. Lex's switch to being Sokka protecting Katara rather than himself protecting Mac is an interesting, though entirely understandable, method of coping enough to continue.

The 'That's not how roleplaying works!' comments seem to come at really bizarre times, I personally loved the 'Roll for Dander'

Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Show
    I'd argue that's still in character. Yes it's mean, no doubt about that, and hellishly cruel to use OOC information as IC ammunition, but I still read that as Azula rather than Rube. Note he refers to himself as one of the 'girls'.
    Spoiler: Second season
    Show
    But Azula wouldn't be close enough to talk to them and when Rube said "girls" it was in quotes, so I'm taking it as OOC. (If it had been Azula, there would have been no need to quote "girls.") But yes, I agree that there is a very thin IC/OOC separation. To be clear, though, I view them all as good people who get a bit carried away with their gaming, so no I'm not making a moral judgement.

Show
    Speaking of IC/OOC separation. Lex's switch to being Sokka protecting Katara rather than himself protecting Mac is an interesting, though entirely understandable, method of coping enough to continue.
    Spoiler: Second season
    Show
    Good catch!

Now a question I have: Why does Katara seem to start the argument over who is the real McKenzie? Are we just supposed to assume that the argument had already been going on for a while before we switched back to her? Or was McKenzie so zonked out that she merely imagined that Mai had been claiming to McKenzie? My guess is that it's the first and I think the author has jumped into conversations mid-stream before.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I'm a bit confused about the players, who is male/female and how is everyone related again?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
    I'm a bit confused about the players, who is male/female and how is everyone related again?
    Mac and DJ are female, the rest are male. I believe they're just all friends, with Rube and Manny being brothers, the cast page is outdated, but does give some info.

Spoiler: Kinda season 2 spoiler, but not really
    Show
    Shelby is also female.

Recent pages suggest Lex thought He and Mac were dating. Shelby's response (to me) suggests that she also once thought the same.

@eschmenk

Spoiler: Definite spoilers
    Show
    She's been up for over 26 hours, peoples thinking goes wonky after that amount of time. Manny's playing Mai as though she were Mac, which can't be helping. Note that Mac, despite her frequent protests about what is and isn't roleplaying, roleplays the least out of everyone. That's probably why Mai's personality is basically just 'This is Mac'. In contrast, Ty Lee's personality does not match Lex's. She's still pretty one note at this point, but Lex at least isn't just himself when 'roleplaying' (though there isn't a massive divide between his IC and OOC).

Mai's behaviour may have triggered Mac's protests, which then gave Manny the impetus to actually have Mai claim to be Mac.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2016-04-23 at 12:46 PM.

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Here is the cast page, which is accurate for Book 1. Mackenzie (I've been misspelling her name) is female, everyone else is male. Rube is Manny's brother. Praxis is Mackenzie's dice-rolling app that Mackenzie overclocked and messed with too much. The people, other than Rube, have been playing together for a while. There may or may not be something a little more going on between Mackenzie and Alex, but there aren't any other relationships.

In Book 2, Shelby Brady is introduced to play Toph. She taught Mackenzie how to play and is so good at D&D that she's banned from tournaments.

A few other people stop by to play for a session or two occasionally.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Thanks! I was under the illusion first that Mack and Alex were brothers, so things went more and more confusing for me.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks! I was under the illusion first that Mack and Alex were brothers, so things went more and more confusing for me.
    Yeah, it took me a while to figure that one out too. That cast page could use a revamp

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yeah, I was confused at first, too.

@eschmenk

Spoiler: Definite spoilers
    Show
    She's been up for over 26 hours, peoples thinking goes wonky after that amount of time. Manny's playing Mai as though she were Mac, which can't be helping. Note that Mac, despite her frequent protests about what is and isn't roleplaying, roleplays the least out of everyone. That's probably why Mai's personality is basically just 'This is Mac'. In contrast, Ty Lee's personality does not match Lex's. She's still pretty one note at this point, but Lex at least isn't just himself when 'roleplaying' (though there isn't a massive divide between his IC and OOC).

Mai's behaviour may have triggered Mac's protests, which then gave Manny the impetus to actually have Mai claim to be Mac.
    Spoiler: More Book 2 spoilers
    Show
    Actually, now that I looked back, I can see how it comes from Episode 3. And it finally clicked that Alex created a female character who was in love with his main character. It didn't work out quite so well for him, did it?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: More Book 2 spoilers
    Show
    Actually, now that I looked back, I can see how it comes from Episode 3. And it finally clicked that Alex created a female character who was in love with his main character. It didn't work out quite so well for him, did it?
    Spoiler: Spoileriffic
    Show
    Arguably it was an effort to keep Sokka alive longer. "She won't want to hurt me if she's in love with me!"

Spoiler: Only a spoiler if you haven't seen the show
    Show
    I know it's a ways off yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Crossroads of Destiny is handled. What's going to move Damien to not join the Gaang? What will the groups reaction be? Especially Mac.

Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: Only a spoiler if you haven't seen the show
    Show
    I know it's a ways off yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Crossroads of Destiny is handled. What's going to move Damien to not join the Gaang? What will the groups reaction be? Especially Mac.
    Spoiler: Speculation about end of book 2 and beyond
    Show
    My almost certainly wrong guess: Damien and Mac bond a little over the pain of being overshadowed by someone else (Shelby and Damien's mother). Damien will still be too insecure to roleplay in front of people who've played with his mother. Rube will offer to help him develop his skills and may frame the others as a bad influence. Damien sides with Rube.

I don't suppose Damien's mother would show up as Kuzo's father in Book 3, would she? The parallels are so obvious. Or maybe she is one of the speech therapists Rube worked with?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Spoiler: Book 2 speculation
    Show
    Based on my reading of the Zuko Alone segment, Rube is setting Damien up with a devil's deal parallel to the one Azula sets Zuko up with in the finale:

"Screw over the party and Manny and become GM again."

Whether the last part means hijacking Manny's campaign or just derailing it irreversibly so he can run his own game remains to be seen, but the former is pretty feasible given lightning-shank on the main character.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

The cast page has now been updated with a "Season 2" section, so that should help some people out.

Also, seeing the DM play Mai and Ty Lee must be hilarious. This is one table that I'd love to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Well..

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like my speculation on Rube's endgame was spot on, but now I have to wonder if he's being honest, or if this is just more method acting - creating an Ultimate Villain to get the party to rally against and forge stronger bonds over, IC and OOC. Normally any plot that gets announced ahead of time is a decoy, and there are other ways Crossroads of Destiny could be played. Zuko joining the team in intent but going Double Agent on Ozai springs to mind.

Also if Damien is Mr. Speech Impediment (aside from Rube having some not-even-concealed self-loathing going there), I wonder if he's referring to all the sighing and not talking to NPCs, or if Damien shares Dante Basco's subtle lisp.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2016-04-25 at 09:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well..

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like my speculation on Rube's endgame was spot on, but now I have to wonder if he's being honest, or if this is just more method acting - creating an Ultimate Villain to get the party to rally against and forge stronger bonds over, IC and OOC. Normally any plot that gets announced ahead of time is a decoy, and there are other ways Crossroads of Destiny could be played. Zuko joining the team in intent but going Double Agent on Ozai springs to mind.

Also if Damien is Mr. Speech Impediment (aside from Rube having some not-even-concealed self-loathing going there), I wonder if he's referring to all the sighing and not talking to NPCs, or if Damien shares Dante Basco's subtle lisp.
    Spoiler: Rube etc.
    Show
    Given the latest strip, I'm inclined to think this was all a ploy by Rube to get the party to band together. He even suggested he and Mac team up to destroy Manny's campaign (which makes me think that Rube also acknowledge's Manny's sadistic tendencies. It seems almost like Rube watched the first book play out, saw everyone's issues (and Rick's notes), and has made it his mission to help them all (including Damien). Awwww

Re: Damien's speech impediment...I'm going with the subtle lisp explanation. Although I do like the idea that sighing constantly is a speech impediment.

EDIT:
    Spoiler: Speculation-y Spoiler
    Show
    Manny initially tried to get Damien to join the other PCs. Perhaps Rube is also assisting with that, to finally give Manny a united party to work with?
    Last edited by aurilee; 2016-04-25 at 11:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well..

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    What you said before involved setting Damien up as DM and "...hijacking Manny's campaign or just derailing it irreversibly..." and no, I don't think that's part of it. I think Manny is pleased with what Rube is doing and they both seem to be working so well together that I think Rube is actually supporting Manny's plans, not undermining them, despite Rube telling Katera, "Together, we can destroy Manny's campaign."

You may be right about Rube meaning Damien, but I thought Rube meant Rick when he said "Mr. Speech Impediment." I thought it was just because Rick had just said, "Damieeeen." I thought that Rube was acting angry because Damien had continued to be loyal to the other three, so Rube asked how could he be lower than the three of them. Also, at the time Rube said, "Mr. Speech Impediment here," Azula was looking at Aang. Zuko was flat on his back out in the street.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground

So I just binge read this. Am I seeing these time stamps right and the comic is updating multiple times daily? If so that is insane, but I love it all the same.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    So I just binge read this. Am I seeing these time stamps right and the comic is updating multiple times daily? If so that is insane, but I love it all the same.
    About one week ago, the author started updating about four times per day. It wasn't like that before, though.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-04-26 at 06:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

They built up a queue for exactly this reason. Tumblr makes it really easy to autopublish, even if it's still crap for everything related to readability.
    Spoiler
    Show