New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Aangvanced (Avatar: The Last Airbender Screencap Comic)

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    And Damien seems to think the game and friendships can and should be salvaged for some reason.
    To be fair, they have gamed together for a few years at least, so they've all invested a lot of time into a shared friendship. Unfortunately, as Damien pointed out, Manny is not exactly going to win 'Human of the year' any time soon, particularly with his behaviour of late. What that doesn't mean is that he's willing to turn his back on someone he's known for X years.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    I really do want to enjoy the comic, I do. But my suspension of disbelief is so thoroughly shattered by how monstrous the DM is. Why on earth are the players still playing his game?
    I think you have to think of the players as being just as cartoony as the original cartoon characters or maybe even more so. After all, one of the players is an AI who is obsessed with its creator. Asking why the players are still playing is a bit like asking why Elmer Fudd kept hunting rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    Also, I think I mentioned this before, but I don't think I'd particularly enjoy playing in the campaigns these guys run. The IC/OOC line is blurry to the point of the players taking personal offence if something happens to their characters, and they seem to view campaigns as being something to be beaten rather than a game to play.
    I hope you wouldn't enjoy it! You couldn't even know if the snacks had drugs in them. It's almost surprising that Manny doesn't throw rocks at the players each time their characters get hit with an earthbending spell, and burn them for firebending spells and hose them down for waterbending spells.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh cool, Manny bought a new fan. "
    "That's a jet turbine, Rick."
    . . .

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm liking this DM'ing by committee thing. I'm not sure it would work in most situations or groups, but it'd be interesting to try and I like seeing the gaang working together this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

I'm definitely enjoying the tonal shift. It was getting just a tad depressing the last little bit. The levity is nice.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

So... Manny's going to be absent for the bulk of Book 3. Iroh's definitely his viewpoint character at this point. Damien briefly visits him during the 'Avatar and the Firelord' episode, then Manny rejoins the group just prior to campaign end, though remains separate from the Gaang anyway. Possibly he plays Piandao as well?

Edit - Bonus comic is amusingly meta. Also, Mac definitely doesn't know how to roleplay Rollplay, sure, but not roleplay.

Edit the second - Think 'Pink haired nerd' could be a reference to our very own Nerd-o-Rama?
    Last edited by Comissar; 2016-06-13 at 05:49 PM.

Show

7. - Top - End - #127

Edit the second - Think 'Pink haired nerd' could be a reference to our very own Nerd-o-Rama?
    Ha, I do believe it is! That was a fun bonus strip.

As for the latest strip, I'm glad Rick is going to try and work things out with Manny. Even after everything he put them through, Rick still wants to help. Awww.
    the rain and the thunder

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Wow, I assumed that was a random tumblrite, but given my avatar, that's possibly the first time I've gotten a shout out in a webcomic.

Anyway, congratulations to the author for giving me just as much of an "oh hell everything's about to go to ****" at Azula's reappearance in this comic as happened in the actual series.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Wow, I assumed that was a random tumblrite, but given my avatar, that's possibly the first time I've gotten a shout out in a webcomic.
    That's why I love projects like these. It really shows that they take the time, and pay attention to their audience.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    That's why I love projects like these. It really shows that they take the time, and pay attention to their audience.
    I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, it's the third shout out to this thread in the comic's run. First being to Aurilee, and second to Eschemenk.

Now, when do I get my duet of Still Alive with Praxis?

Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Now, when do I get my duet of Still Alive with Praxis?
    Nah, Mackenzie can just do "Want You Gone" (more or less).

Spoiler
    Show
    Well here we are again
    It's always such a pleasure
    Remember when I tried
    to kill you twice?

Oh how we laughed and laughed
    Except I wasn't laughing
    Under the circumstances
    I've been shockingly nice

You want your deletion?
    Take it
    That's what I'm counting on
    I used to want you dead
    but
    Now I only want you gone

He was a lot like you
    (Maybe not as much stalker)
    Now some of Jet is in there too

One day I woke you up
    Thought you would live forever
    It's such a shame that it
    will never happen to you

You've got some
    short sad life left
    I'll let you get right to it
    Now I only want you gone

Goodbye my only friend
    Oh, did you think I meant you?
    That would be funny
    if it weren't so sad

Well you have been replaced
    I don't need an AI now
    When I delete you maybe
    I'll stop feeling so bad

Go make some new disaster
    You're someone else's problem
    Now I only want you gone
    Now I only want you gone
    Now I only want you gone

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

So, Rube's a minor as well. Was that brought up prior to this? I knew he was Manny's younger brother, but those don't come with age tags.

Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I don't think it was specified, but since Manny's probably college aged or just past it in his 20's, it stood to reason. Plus, aside from his obvious empathy for the neurodivergent, it helps explain why Rick has the best rapport with him. In fact there may have been a throwaway line of Rick calling Rube his little buddy, but I can't be asked to search for it.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2016-06-14 at 04:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

I just realised that The Guru is well suited to Manny and Rick's talk. As they continue, the set will grow lighter, (hopefully) mirroring Manny's introspection and movement toward being a better person.

Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Nah, Mackenzie can just do "Want You Gone" (more or less).
    *lighter*

(And then some filler to ensure I'm over 10 characters)
    . . .

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

So... Manny's going to be absent for the bulk of Book 3. Iroh's definitely his viewpoint character at this point. Damien briefly visits him during the 'Avatar and the Firelord' episode, then Manny rejoins the group just prior to campaign end, though remains separate from the Gaang anyway. Possibly he plays Piandao as well?

Edit - Bonus comic is amusingly meta. Also, Mac definitely doesn't know how to roleplay Rollplay, sure, but not roleplay.
    IDK. Rick is going to try to help Manny during the Guru episode. It will be a role reversal, unless Manny plays Aang for some reason. At the end of the episode, Aang rejoins everyone else. Will Manny go back? Or will Manny just strengthen himself and prepare for his comeback like Iroh did?

Will Damien use the opportunity in Crossroads to teach Mac how to roleplay? At least a little bit?

Just a few days ago:
    Mac appears to be the other side of Manny's coin: sadistic and controlling, but strictly to the in-character characters, none of this real life crap, and focused on numbercrunching and mechanical difficulty instead of storytelling.
    You aren't the only one who has said something like that, but you are one of them.

But, the Puppetmaster episode should either let her see what a control freak she is, or let her roleplay a control freak. Probably the former. Also The Southern Raiders.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-06-15 at 12:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    You aren't the only one who has said something like that, but you are one of them.

But, the Puppetmaster episode should either let her see what a control freak she is, or let her roleplay a control freak. Probably the former. Also The Southern Raiders.
    "Mac can't roleplay" is a joke in-comic, though, albeit delivered by Manny through Mai so maybe it's best to take it with a grain of salt.

That said, I do agree that she's very well-suited to portraying Katara regardless. Katara is an absurdly powerful Bender in-universe (so are Aang and Toph, but Aang has a plot excuse and Toph is played here by a character-building savant) as well as having a personality that's dominant and tempestuous (well okay, she just has a shorter-than-average temper, but the pun was too good to pass up) as a counterpoint to her capability and general altruism. Mac lacks her empathy, in-character, but the rest of Katara is there.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2016-06-15 at 08:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

Well the climax happened...now it remains to be seen how Damien's going to develop from here. And also why the players decide to keep playing.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, the solution has been foreshadowed here:

http://dandaangvanced.tumblr.com/pos...17-aborted-arc

Last panel on the bottom left. It should work.

Of course, there is also the possibillity that the author does decide to end the run there. I do not think so, but, it has been a wild ride. :)

Just realising: I *have* understood you correctly, Aurilee, that you meant "how can the game continue with Rick dead"? Or did you mean: "The game has reached it's end, the story is or should be now over"?
    Last edited by Adaon Nightwind; 2016-06-23 at 09:18 AM.
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Adaon Nightwind View Post
    Well, the solution has been foreshadowed here:

http://dandaangvanced.tumblr.com/pos...17-aborted-arc

Last panel on the bottom left. It should work.

Of course, there is also the possibillity that the author does decide to end the run there. I do not think so, but, it has been a wild ride. :)

Just realising: I *have* understood you correctly, Aurilee, that you meant "how can the game continue with Rick dead"? Or did you mean: "The game has reached it's end, the story is or should be now over"?
    Yeah, it was more like "with all the players thinking Rick is dead, how are they going to carry on?" They all seem pretty eager to end the campaign, so Manny will have to do something to give them a big morale boost. I mean, I've watched the show so I know how it will theoretically progress, but I'm interested to see how the comic does it.

And the author has confirmed he'll be continuing on into Korra, so no end in sight.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

The way I see it, the table has wrapped the campaign around their feelings for Rube and how to "fix" him. Manny and Rick at least believe that if Rube wins while he's stuck playing Azula, he'll be irreversibly damaged and will lose himself in the character. Mac, Shelby and Lex go along with that because they think it's the right thing to do. But Damien, saying that D&D is the escape he had when things were at the worst in his life feels that Rube deserves the same opportunity that they have all had.

So when the story continues, that's still the focus: does Rube need fixing, or should he be allowed to play through as his character?
    . . .

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Aeons View Post
    The way I see it, the table has wrapped the campaign around their feelings for Rube and how to "fix" him. Manny and Rick at least believe that if Rube wins while he's stuck playing Azula, he'll be irreversibly damaged and will lose himself in the character. Mac, Shelby and Lex go along with that because they think it's the right thing to do. But Damien, saying that D&D is the escape he had when things were at the worst in his life feels that Rube deserves the same opportunity that they have all had.

So when the story continues, that's still the focus: does Rube need fixing, or should he be allowed to play through as his character?
    Given the latest update, I'd say that's right on the mark.

And go Damien for not being pointlessly mean. Manny take note!
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

This is the kind of zombie campaign I like. Remains to be seen if Damien rolls with it or not.

Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So I guess the point of this was to show that Rube really is lost into the character of Azula rather than simply being really into roleplaying.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh my. If Rube is really that deep into Azula's Character, this could take quite the dark turn when we reach the ending of the series. Unless, perhaps, he believes Azula can be reached by Aangs' Mindbending at that point? Or maybe the story will continue with the print books?
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Also, I'm guessing, to make fun of all the delays in getting AtLA Book 3 out.

Which is also distressing if that joke gets played up more for the finale episodes. Or Korra in general.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I was thinking that Aang's mindbending might be used to cure Manny's addiction to power. Azula would have a breakdown, leaving Rube back in control. I suppose the most Azula thing to do would be to seize her father's character, though.

I'm pretty sure the author has a pretty large backlog, so I wouldn't worry about that. I expect we will continue to have little intermissions. I notice that Damien talked about introducing aliens. We could hope for Plan 9 from Outer Space. It has everything: vampires, zombies, space aliens and plenty for the players to bitch about.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I'm pretty sure the author has a pretty large backlog, so I wouldn't worry about that. I expect we will continue to have little intermissions. I notice that Damien talked about introducing aliens. We could hope for Plan 9 from Outer Space. It has everything: vampires, zombies, space aliens and plenty for the players to bitch about.
    Alternatively, it was a reference to 'The World's End', the third film in the Cornetto Trilogy (within which 'Shaun of the Dead' was the first).

Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

OK, thanks. I wasn't familiar with the reference.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eschmenk - go watch the whole trilogy right now!
    . . .