New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5 GMR 15: Return to normalcy

The merchant council of The Golden Hub sends the following open message to the Chinese:

You can still end this brutal war. Revoke your declaration, return your troops, and we will forgive your intrusion. If territory you require, we can cede Southharbor to you with no loss of civilian lives, but The Golden Hub itself is our cultural center. Should you take our capital, you destroy our peoples and condemn us as a people.

We plead with the glorious Wu Zetian, show mercy. Recognize the gain from cooperation or else China shall be known for all time as a nest of vipers, to be destroyed by any who wish safety in their proximity.

2. - Top - End - #272

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Spoiler: Austira (Dodger H2O)
    Show
    Aye, unfortunately my scout near China's lands became caught in the south between Barbarians and their own expanding borders cutting off their path north, so I wasn't able to see what they were up to. I'm sorry about that.

Do you believe your situation hopeless, then? I was thinking of threatening China with an attack of my own in an attempt to get them to back down, since you've been a staunch trading partner who has never acted in less than good faith. I must admit it would be part bluff at this time, as my own military is minimal and suited only for defense, but I can begin harassing them and redirect my cities' efforts to building it up until I can make good on it. But if it will be unable to save your nation, it may be wiser not to begin hostilities right away.
    Spoiler: Ethiopia
    Show
    Unfortunately I had counted too much on goodwill from China and the isolation of my position and my military is small and outdated. Also they have a Great General and 3 of their repeating crossbow units, and my cities have almost no production capability so should I somehow defeat their invasion force they can outproduce reinforcements.

If I survive for 3 more turns I may be able to use my gold stores to buy out a city-state ally, but I expect China wants the Wonders in my capital, plus my Gold resources, as both compliment their religion. Even if I can survive I'll effectively be out of the game at that point so don't take unnecessary risks on my behalf, though the offer is appreciated. If you think you could distract or harass, by all means, remember that China does not seem to respect goodwill, only force. You're their next likely target regardless, I doubt a declaration of war by you will change their plans.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerH2O View Post
    Show
    Unfortunately I had counted too much on goodwill from China and the isolation of my position and my military is small and outdated. Also they have a Great General and 3 of their repeating crossbow units, and my cities have almost no production capability so should I somehow defeat their invasion force they can outproduce reinforcements.

If I survive for 3 more turns I may be able to use my gold stores to buy out a city-state ally, but I expect China wants the Wonders in my capital, plus my Gold resources, as both compliment their religion. Even if I can survive I'll effectively be out of the game at that point so don't take unnecessary risks on my behalf, though the offer is appreciated. If you think you could distract or harass, by all means, remember that China does not seem to respect goodwill, only force. You're their next likely target regardless, I doubt a declaration of war by you will change their plans.
    Spoiler: Austria (Dodger H2O)
    Show
    I see. If you're worried about holding out even a few turns, then there's truly nothing I can do - it would take at least that long for my units to even start crossing through the territory of the City-State that separates me from China anyway, and the couple that could do that wouldn't accomplish much on their own once there. In which case, should you be correct and China refuses your offer of peace and goes for your capital, I will gladly accept whatever funds you wish to transfer to me, and put them to good use fortifying my own defenses - and ultimately, I intend, avenging your nation. Make no mistake, I do not intend to overlook my neighbor attacking anyone unprovoked like this, much less my closest trading partner.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectator war update
    Show

We hear tales of the Valaran religion growing stronger among the hearts of the Ethiopian populace.

Meanwhile we trade with Mongolia as Wu Zetian declares a friendship with the horse riders for many years.

As Panama city, disappointed with Wu Zetian's action declares that China is no longer the friend of Panama city.

As our outdated squads work on farming the savages.

Having finished work on horseback riding, Wu Zetian orders that we start work on Iron working.

The town guards report no problems.

As the siege of Southharbor continues.

Our scouting bands continue to work along.

As our work band moves through to improve our land.

Beijing does notice a Ethiopian scouting band circling our lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: The Maya (Narkis)
    Show
    I have sent you a trade offer. A simple one: I'm soon to come into a spare Cotton, and would like to trade you for your spare Copper. Would that be agreeable?

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: Portugal
    Show
    With the establishment of Turfan, thus marks as far east as the Mongolians promised to settle to the previous rulers of Portugal. Incense is a precious resource to us and we wanted to secure as much of it as possible. It held little interest to the previous rulers or Portugal. If your people do crave it at some point we are of course happy to trade excess for any luxuries we have not begun importing from other lands. We are always eager willing to trade.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    Spoiler: Portugal
    Show
    With the establishment of Turfan, thus marks as far east as the Mongolians promised to settle to the previous rulers of Portugal. Incense is a precious resource to us and we wanted to secure as much of it as possible. It held little interest to the previous rulers or Portugal. If your people do crave it at some point we are of course happy to trade excess for any luxuries we have not begun importing from other lands. We are always eager willing to trade.
    Spoiler: To Mongolia
    Show

That IS a bit close for our liking, but at least it makes setting up trade caravans between our cities relatively effortless, and making them quite easily defendable against highwaymen. Welcome to the neighbourhood.
    Well that was awkward.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: The Maya (Narkis)
    Show
    I have sent you a trade offer. A simple one: I'm soon to come into a spare Cotton, and would like to trade you for your spare Copper. Would that be agreeable?
    Show
    More than agreeable. May the gods bless you fot this offering.

For their naked aggression, we denounce the Chinese and their leader Wu Zetian. Behaviour such as yours was what caused the gods to destroy the peoples previous to us. Lest you stop, or are stopped, you may doom us all.

(ooc: I just discovered you can't actually denounce a player in-game. Disappointing.)
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

9. - Top - End - #279

Our response to the Mayan people

~LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS
    ~TO FIGHT AUSTRIA!
    ~CITY STATES DIDNT HALP ME
    ~BECAUSE NO LONGBOWS

Show

Austria tries to wave the white flag of peace.

We think the eighteen bolts we shot the flag with, signify Wu Zetian's answer.

As America and Mongolia becomes friends.

Shanghai celebrates, as the Mongolian shipment of incense starts being delivered.

As Guangzhou makes a request for furs.

Our Cho-ku-nu's train to fight in open areas.

We simply take Southharbor, the mayor bows before Wu Zetian. And she is generous, for she merely takes his family hostage.

One of them proves loyalty to the Chinese people. Becoming a great general to lead her troops to fight against Maria.

Here we see the burned out shell of the Austrians selling their buildings.

Our forces move towards The golden hub.

And enslave Austria civilians, making them work under the threat of death.

Miss.None of us can say her name, moved to join the field.

Guarded by a regiment of spear fighters.

As the savage hunters wait.

The city guards also wait, secure in safety.

Our scout band flees to safety.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #280

Show
    We have requested a formal Declaration of Friendship so that our coffers may be donated to your war effort. China advances on our capital with at least 6 chu-ko-nu repeating crossbowmen, a great general, and a spearman. Although our defenses are strong, we expect them to fail shortly.

We recently acquired the territory of Sydney, through a diplomatic marriage. Our finest minds have fled to this new acquisition and we expect it to become the seat of power once The Golden Hub falls. It however lies within invasion distance of China so we may have merely given them an excuse to press further in their conquest. Hopefully the capital will sate their hunger for land until they inevitably turn their attentions to you or another neighbor.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show
    A Traveler's Guide to The Moroccan Institute of Trade

Many years have passed since our previous version of the MIT handbook. In that time, Traveler's Rest has grown into a bustling center for trade. Within a few years, we hope to establish a retreat high in the mountains that will bolster our internal trade.

Mountain Prime continues to be a center for the temples of Syrinx. We believe that in time the priests will truly share all the gifts of life with the world.

Our southernmost outpost established by the MOB continues its growth. Once we have established it as a secure outpost, we hope to begin trade with the Americans and Mayans from here.

One of our three newest outposts, this naval base will hopefully supply the MIT with goods from across the seas. Unfortunately, with the late unpleasantness between China and Austria, we are not sure when it will be safe to launch our trading vessels.

Here we have a valuable trading port along the inner sea. Although there is no outlet for this sea, we believe we can access American ports if we so desire. Eventually, this should become a valuable outpost to the MIT.

Finally, we have our newest outpost, established only a few years ago. This outpost serves a more strategic positioning to allow us access to Mt. Secunde in addition to a close trading outpost with the Ethiopians.

Currently, relations with both the Huns and Ethiopians are warm. We hope to eventually establish a sea based trading route with the victor of the Austro-Chinese war.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerH2O View Post
    Show
    We have requested a formal Declaration of Friendship so that our coffers may be donated to your war effort. China advances on our capital with at least 6 chu-ko-nu repeating crossbowmen, a great general, and a spearman. Although our defenses are strong, we expect them to fail shortly.

We recently acquired the territory of Sydney, through a diplomatic marriage. Our finest minds have fled to this new acquisition and we expect it to become the seat of power once The Golden Hub falls. It however lies within invasion distance of China so we may have merely given them an excuse to press further in their conquest. Hopefully the capital will sate their hunger for land until they inevitably turn their attentions to you or another neighbor.
    Spoiler: Austira (DodgerH2O)
    Show
    Six crossbowmen? He's committed more to building this army than I thought, then. I would fare no better than you against a force that size presently.

The Declaration of Friendship shall be made at once, then, and I will put your gift to good use as soon as may be.

13. - Top - End - #283

Spoiler: Ethopia; Zevox
    Show

Welcome! From China. We have access to the luxury gold. You have money. The Chinese people suggest a mutually beneficial trade. Do you agree?

~Wu Zetian.

Show

We are finally able to talk Prague down to peace.

But Wu Zetian demands something for their insolence.

Our city guards report no problems.

As our outdated army forces continue hunting savages.

The Austrian people ally with a unheard of minor nation called Zanzibar. It will be too late to save the Golden hub.

As our new Cho-ku-nu's focus on fighting in Rough terrain.

Maria Theresa wed off one of her sons to one of the minor nations of the world. Bringing them into the Austrian fold. Wu Zetian commends their quick thinking.

But they are not the only quick thinkers.

Wu Zetian ordered Timur to be sacrificed to the gods! And Mulan answered. Constructing a mighty castle out of the stone, and letting us understand the roads as if we had built them! Let's get down to business!

We open fire on one of the Austrian warriors. They have no nope.

Our Austrian slaves start connecting Austria's road network with our own.

As our troops swarm the capital.

As our scouts continue returning home.

And our Praguing slaves focus on Shanghai's improvement.

Our freed work bands, finish up on a quarry.

As we try to trade with the Ethiopians with our spare gold.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: China (Illven)
    Show
    No.

It is with mixed emotions that the people of Ethiopia announce a formal Declaration of Friendship between our nation and the besieged land of Austria. We have long enjoyed strong ties of trade and have found the Austrians to be a very honorable people, even going so far as to send us a portion of their profits from a trade route when establishing a direct route between our nations that we had previously discussed proved impossible due to the distance, for no benefit other than to keep their word as closely as possible.

Sadly, we are in no position to save them from the aggression of our neighbors, China, whom have proven themselves to be the opposite of the Austrians: honorless, greedy, and power-hungry. We denounce their actions before the rest of the world, and vow this: while our nation stands and it is within our power to prevent, they shall not leave the western peninsula. Our borders stand between them and the rest of the world, and shall be forever closed to them, and we will have no trade with them. We would call upon the other nations of the world to do the same.

Indeed, we would welcome any aid any other nation wishes to lend in containing or, should it prove possible at some time, extinguishing the threat they have proven themselves to pose to the rest of the world. But regardless of any other nation's decision here, we will not suffer our neighbors to so viciously attack our closest partner and find no repercussions for such an atrocity.

15. - Top - End - #285

The Ethopian people are liars, cowards, and oppruntiscs.

Our grievances with them are as follows. First they claim that the Chinese people are honorless, any leader with a brain, and the most basic info about the Chinese people are able to see that the Chinese people have a robust honor and warrior culture. Although we cannot claim that the Ethopians are truly honorless, we can tell that they understand far less about an honor code then the Chinese people do. This is a simple fact, and is obvious to any leader that cares to check.

In addition, we find it suspicious that the Ethopian people are waiting till now to make this declaration. The opportunistic nature of their leader, led them to still pretend all was well while their scouting band continued gathering information about our lands for sereval years, probably drawing up plans for an invasion I suspect. In addition they lurked around sereval savages camps for years, for what we assume was them looking for an opportunity to end them, and prevent our troops from gathering experience in semi-controlled conditions.

We would not have shot your scouts Ethopia. But it is wonderful to know, that you expect to scout around and in our lands, while denying us that same ability.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Honorless is one of many words for a people who would attack another without provocation or warning, with clear intent on conquest and murder, and then ignore their request for parlay, and it is a simple fact that this is what the nation of China has done. It is a name your own actions have earned you, and nothing less. If it upsets you, that should be cause to look closely at yourself and your own actions, not cast empty aspersions upon those who point it out.

And our scouts were doing the same on the western peninsula as they have done in the rest of the world: charting out the lay of the land, that our Grand Libraries may be filled with knowledge of the world. They began that journey well before you began your war, and have lingered only because they were unable to cross your borders in the west, which cut off their passage, forcing them to slowly retrace their steps along the southern mountains and hills while evading barbarians. Preparing for war was never their intent - though much as we do not wish it, their information may be needed for that one day, since your nation has shown its true face to be one of war rather than peace.

But that day is not now. If it were, we would already be attempting to save our allies. For now, it will have to suffice that you will not set foot outside your ill-gotten lands so long as there is life in ours.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-06-21 at 06:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: Mayans
    Show
    We have a scout trapped by the borders of your people and the Americans. We would hope to get him out of your lands to avoid any unintentional awkwardness, and so the scouts can travel back east. We will offer to open our lands up to you as well as send your some iron for a few years.

Spoiler: China
    Show
    We saw that you have an extra gold resource but unfortunately do not have much to offer to you at the moment beyond some of our gold or iron resources. Let us know if there is ANYTHING we can offer you in exchange for your spare gold. Now, onto another matter.

We are curious about Ethiopia's proclamations. While we believe that they are simply shouting into the wind about your actions to the far west of the world, we do want to know what may be happening out that way. It is odd that Ethiopia would be the one to denounce you while Austria itself seems rather silent about their supposed destruction. We have little dealing with either people beyond some minor trade, and while the Mongols have not been the strongest of nations, we've recently established markets in out cities and are beginning to amass a great deal of wealth, which we plan to invest in those nations that we consider our closest allies. Do know, as a nation that has considered war in the past, that alliances will exist between others and if Ethiopia is able to convince others that you are indeed a threat to the wider world, they may join forces against you. My military advisor says you are vastly superior to our military, and you are likely much stronger than any other nation. But be careful, you will need friend to help you should war spread to the wider world. I have a bit of pull with the Moroccan and American people... not much, but enough that I can likely convince them to stay out of any war you plan to start, or continue, as is the case. I also have Portugal, the nation of which you have not met, to my east, and the Mayans are to the east and south of me. Out of necessity I chose to make peace with these nations, as being surrounded by foes is not desirable. You are lucky enough that you have only Austria and Ethiopia flanking you, though Morocco is not far from your lands. Know that none of this is meant as a threat, I am merely pointing out things that may seem obvious. We enjoy our business with China, and with everyone near us. Be careful.

18. - Top - End - #288

Honorless may be a word. But it is very clearly one of many wrong words for reasons I feel that I should not have to explain again to rulers of other nations.

Spoiler: Croverous;Mongolia
    Show

Thank you. As Ethiopia seems unconcerned with their citizens happiness, we are more then happy to sell to you. Perhaps a similar deal to the one we made for your incense. 3 gpt for our gold, eventually moving to a Incense for Gold trade sound reasonable?

As about Austria being silent about their proposed destruction, that's because they simply won't be destroyed. China has no interests in genocide, and the Austrias have wed their children to the nation of... Honestly, we can't recall the name, one of the minor nations of the world. They will be moving the palace to that location very swiftly. But the Austrians as a people will survive, unless Maria's wounded pride makes her condemn her people of course.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Morocco (RayGallade)
    Show
    Greetings. Doubtless you've heard the recent ruckus between my nation and China over their assault on Austria. As my other neighbor and the nation I've had the closest dealings with after Austria to date, I am particularly interested to know where you stand on this matter.

Austria has told me what they face: they are being attacked by an army of fully a half-dozen units Cho-ku-nu Crossbowmen and a force of Spearmen, all lead by a Great General. My scouts have also noticed at least one more force of Spearmen lingering in the east, too close to Panama, the City-State that separates my nation from theirs, for comfort, but it at least is alone. That likely makes their military unmatched in the world, and a serious threat to any whom they would turn it on - and I cannot guarantee they have nothing else, since I have hardly seen their whole nation, and doubt now that I will without conflict. If they continue to grow this force, it will surely take the effort of multiple nations just to contain them. Further, while I am obviously likely next on their list, especially after what just happened, you could find yourself a target too, being equally their closest prey if they choose to circumvent the Panama Isthmus by taking to the sea instead.

An alliance would seem to me to be in both of our interests - at least to contain China, if not to also eventually avenge Austria.

20. - Top - End - #290

The Golden Hub of Austria thanks our Ethiopian friends for their support in this time of trouble. In addition, we wish to denounce the barbarous ways of the Chinese people. They have erected a citadel at the gates of our capital and we fear it will not be long before the cultural heart of our civilization has been cut out and devoured.

Austria believes that fair trade and cooperation should be the goal of every civilized people. We did not contest the Chinese settlement of the most fertile and rich lands known to our people. In return we received from the Chinese only the "gifts" of fire, blood, and crossbow bolts.

Know that you can trust China and Wu Zetian only as far as their repeating crossbows can reach. Goodwill apparently means nothing to them and they respect only military might. For the good of everyone, the western peninsula should be quarantined. It is only a matter of time before the vast army of China finishes their pillage of Austrian lands and turns their eyes elsewhere. One of you will be next, and gestures of friendship will gain you nothing save perhaps the postponement of conquest until your neighbors have been lost and it is too late.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Ethiopia (Zevox)
    Show
    Greetings friend. At this moment, the Moroccan Institute of Trade wishes to remain publically neutral in regards to the slaughter in the Austro-Chinese conflict. Despite this public silence, we support the Austrians in their defense, as we have recently established a trading port to communicate with them. Based on the current conflict, however, our trading vessels may be destined for your lands instead.

Currently, our Ministry of Defense is completely disorganized and will be unable to provide any support to Austria in their conflict. However, should China turn its crossbows upon your lands, know that the MIT will be prepared to provide any support that we have. Even now our trading empire is preparing to mobilize for defense.

We also are noting that we may be severely behind in technological progress. Our soldiers may not be the best equipped to defend both our lands, but we shall lend whatever aid we can. Our only request is that should our people be attacked first, the Ethiopian people would be as quick to offer military support to us. Your people have been kind to us in the past and we would hope this kindness shall continue from both our peoples.

We also believe you should know that we are reaching out to Mongolia in search of support for the both of us. Perhaps Wu Zetian will be less likely to attack if she faces three militaries?

Spoiler: Mongolia (Croverus)
    Show
    Greetings, oh Khan. Based on reports from Ethiopia, it appears that the Chinese scourge may soon be directing its might against either Ethiopia or the Moroccan Institute of Trade once it has eradicated the Golden Hub. Should either of our nations be attacked, can we count on your mighty empire's aid in said conflict?
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Mongolia
    Show
    But of course. We also have a scout that has been cut off by you and Portugal, and would like to return home. Your timing is fortuitous, and could be nothing else but Divine Providence.

Speaking of which, your people have been left the only ones in the world without a faith to call your own. Would you perchance allow us to send some priests over to your cities, and spread the word of Kukulcan?

Spoiler: America
    Show
    By the grace Kukulcan, we will soon be able to sign Research Agreements. Would you like to formalise our Friendship with a Declaration, and sign an Agreement as soon as we can both afford it?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    It is good to hear that we will not stand alone in this. You can of course count on our support should China turn on you first. In fact, while we are currently still in the process of uniting our own cities by roadway, with your permission once we can spare the laborers we will see to the construction of a road between our lands, to ensure our support can reach each other in as timely a fashion as possible.

I should mention that my own military is small at this time as well, but I too will be changing that soon enough.

Reaching out to others is a good idea as well - but unfortunately, we have had minimal contact with nations other than yours and Austria. We've spoken only briefly with the Mongols and Americans, and only recently begun trading with the Mayans - and while they have denounced China's aggression, their lands lie so far to the east that I'm not sure how much support they could offer even assuming they have the military to do so.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-06-22 at 07:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Maya
    Show
    Sure thing, partner! Soon as we got the money for it, anyways, our treasury's a mite small right now. Maybe I'll tell the treasurer to cancel the staff New Year party.

Long as you're here, how do you feel about them China folks? They wouldn't let us exchange embassies - mighty suspicious, if you ask me - and then there's this mess with the Austrians. We still haven't figured out exactly where they are, but we reckon south of Austria's a good bet, which'd put them near you. You at all worried about that? Should we be gettin' ready to send our boys over to defend your borders?
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Austria (DodgerH2O)
    Show
    Your treasury has reached my lands safely.

Much as it pains me to do so though, I will ask if you can spare what little you have left. I find myself on the verge of being able to use these funds to speed the production of a structure my nation's greatest minds have recently concocted, which would greatly increase production in my smallest city - Minas Tirith, which borders the Panama Isthmus, and is thereby the one most in need of quick bolstering. But it will be some time before I can do so without further aid.

(In short: I just got the tech to make Workshops, which will help me build up my defenses a lot faster. My one city that can't build one quickly is also the city closest to China, and being able to just buy it there would be great. If you donated the 40 gold you'll have next turn, I could do it immediately. If not, I'll be waiting about two more turns to do so. Probably not that big a deal if you feel you have better uses for the gold, but if not, it could definitely help.)
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-06-22 at 08:49 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296

Show

We hear rumors that America and Ethiopia have joined the world's nations in the Medieval era.

The Ethiopians reject our offer and instead make friendship with the Austria.

Our spearmen hunting the savages, train to fight better in rough terrain.

Other outdated squads continue fighting the savages.

Our slave labor band moves to work on a river side farm.

The defense forces reports no problems.

Auitzoil moves to join the forces in the sieging of The Golden hub.

As our Cho-nu-ku's sink ships. Wu Zetian wants the lands clear before the conquest.

As our forces swarm the capital.

Our Austrian slaves continue to work on a road to the Austrian capital.

Our squads continue to improve as they bombard the capital.

Due to the Ethiopian proclamation our scouts head back to Mongolian lands.

As our freed workers move to start work on pasture.

And we start trading with Mongolia.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    It is good to hear that we will not stand alone in this. You can of course count on our support should China turn on you first. In fact, while we are currently still in the process of uniting our own cities by roadway, with your permission once we can spare the laborers we will see to the construction of a road between our lands, to ensure our support can reach each other in as timely a fashion as possible.

I should mention that my own military is small at this time as well, but I too will be changing that soon enough.

Reaching out to others is a good idea as well - but unfortunately, we have had minimal contact with nations other than yours and Austria. We've spoken only briefly with the Mongols and Americans, and only recently begun trading with the Mayans - and while they have denounced China's aggression, their lands lie so far to the east that I'm not sure how much support they could offer even assuming they have the military to do so.
    Show
    We believe this to be acceptable. We recommend the road connect with our new settlement of Border Central, as it is both the closest of our outposts and connects both Trader's Rest and Mt. Secunde, our primary military production cities.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Howdy there, neighbor. We're here about these China folks. The news out of Austria ain't good, and we reckon they might have got themselves a taste for conquerin'. We want to be ready for 'em, if they come; maybe send some boys over your way to help out, if we can manage it. Don't much like the thought of tryin' to stop them after they get rollin'.

Problem is, we don't know a darn thing about China, 'sides that they're close to you and Austria. (They didn't want an embassy; seems mighty shifty.) Got any info or maps you might share with a friend?
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RayGallade View Post
    Show
    We believe this to be acceptable. We recommend the road connect with our new settlement of Border Central, as it is both the closest of our outposts and connects both Trader's Rest and Mt. Secunde, our primary military production cities.
    Show
    Huh, I think Trader's Rest is a bit closer to Minas Anor than than Border Central, but if that will be a better way to connect to your overall military output, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Show
    Howdy there, neighbor. We're here about these China folks. The news out of Austria ain't good, and we reckon they might have got themselves a taste for conquerin'. We want to be ready for 'em, if they come; maybe send some boys over your way to help out, if we can manage it. Don't much like the thought of tryin' to stop them after they get rollin'.

Problem is, we don't know a darn thing about China, 'sides that they're close to you and Austria. (They didn't want an embassy; seems mighty shifty.) Got any info or maps you might share with a friend?
    Spoiler: America (The_Snark)
    Show
    That is welcome news indeed! We've been discussing just that with our mutual neighbor, Morocco, and have arrived at an agreement to mutually support one another in the event of a Chinese attack on either of us. Once my work forces can be spared I will be building a road to connect our nations, between Minas Anor in my lands and Border Central in theirs. If you could connect your own lands to one of their eastern settlements (I'd suggest asking them which one would be best), we could have a full road network between us to allow for quick support of each other should war break out.

As far as China goes, we have had relatively little diplomatic contact with them. They refused us an embassy, too, at least until our scouts located their capital directly - they seem to have wanted to keep its location a secret. Their lands are west of ours, and along with Austria's (which are - or were, soon enough - north of China's) occupy a peninsula connected to the mainland only by a narrow isthmus just west of our recently re-named southern city of Minas Tirith. That isthmus is controlled by the City-State of Panama, so that land separates our two nations - it's almost certain that we shall be competing for Panama's favor, to determine whom they'll support should conflict break out.

(I don't think there's any way to share map info mechanically in Civ 5, so that will have to do. If I'm wrong, do let me know, though.)

We know much of China's military strength from correspondence with Austria: they were attacked by six units of Cho-ku-nu Crossbowmen and a unit of Spearmen, all lead by a Great General, whom from the sound of things has since established a fortress near Austria's capital. Thanks to our Scouts we are also aware of one more unit of Spearmen lurking east of their lands, near Panama, but it at least is alone. We cannot say whether that is the full extent of China's military, since our Scouts were not able to get a complete view of their territory and we are now withdrawing them for the time being, but that is sufficient to know that they are a serious threat to any they turn their attention to. Our own military would be wiped out quickly if that force arrived at our gates in full. Though of course we fully intend to change that as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-06-24 at 07:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: America
    Show
    The Chinese are a blight upon this world. Their crimes will surely reflect negatively upon us all, and they may yet be the cause of our world's destruction. For these reasons we shall stand against them to the end of days.

We know the Chinese to be south of Austria, on the western edge of the continent. We are separated by an ocean, and thus not directly threatened by them until they are able to construct an armada, against which your boys would be unable to help, no matter how valorous they are. Nevertheless, we thank you for your offer of support. Likewise, you can expect the Maya people to stand with you against the Chinese, or any other nation that might decide to threaten you.