New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Civ 5 GMR 15: Return to normalcy

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show
    Explored the second Ruins and received 15 Culture! This was a nice boost and enough to get me a policy. Going with Liberty, as I'm hoping I can rush Pyramids and so far have not run into anyone, neither players, city states or barbarians. And with at least 2 nice spots to settle cities I plan to expand very quickly.

"Our warriors explored the second set of ruins. Our great leader, Croverus, has declared that the beginnings of our founding principles are being implemented. What luck that we can begin laying the ground work of our civilization's laws before our wisest tribesmen have mastered the taming of livestock. As our scouts near the end of training, our great leader will begin the design of our first wonder. He has shown us drawings of it's design; a great structure of stone with 4 sides that come together as a single point on top. Our warriors are restless though and hope to find a worthy foe soon. They have reached the southern tip of the vast desert and will explore east for a land bridge to the coast revealed by the crude maps."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm planning on being very rp with my decisions. I'm not a maximizer really so some of my choices won't be the optimal method I'm sure, but hopefully things work out well for me.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    I'm planning on being very rp with my decisions. I'm not a maximizer really so some of my choices won't be the optimal method I'm sure, but hopefully things work out well for me.
    I'll be doing much the same, so you're not alone. I try to get into the mindset of a culture and use the game mechanics as inspiration for how they will choose to develop and interact with the other civilizations around them.

4. - Top - End - #94

Show
    I forgot to take a screenshot, but I just found out I'm very close to Uluru (+2 food, +6 faith). Once I can get a settler out there, I'll definitely have an edge in the race for religion.
    Last edited by Ryuho Tsugu; 2016-03-11 at 09:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Sunday spectator update extravaganza
    Show

For glorious Wu Zetian in the year 3560 AD.

After discovering a packet of maps in an ancient ruin of a bygone time, our warriors moved away from the great southern sea so as to scout out a new set of ruins.

Our scouting bands discover new land every day. The people of Prague. It's strange. They hold no interest in the wider world.

Our people have learned to store food for the leaner years. Soon we wish to have companions, and to encircle the cattle near Bejing.

Near the glorious tri-river sits the city of Bejing an ancient marvel of the world.

Our people have professed a devotion to the old ways, they dislike change and seek to improve upon the work of the past.

Wu Zetian is proud of us. She says we are best in Population, Crop yield, Manufactured goods, and tied for best land and literacy. But she is also sad. For our people hold the most discontent of our chieftain.
    Last edited by Illven; 2016-03-14 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #96

Show
    The capital; Uluru, just to the southwest. The plot directly to the west of my scout will be the most likely place for my next settlement.

With the discovery of Uluru, my early game is set: research Calendar → Mining; finish my current worker, then a settler, then try to rush Stonehenge. If successful, I will have 11 faith per turn, which should be enough to be the first to found and enhance a religion [(if my experience from GMR 13 holds true)]. I will definitely be going into the Piety policy tree, but I'm undecided whether to go Tradition or Liberty.

7. - Top - End - #97

Spoiler: China
    Show
    Greetings from the Golden Hub of Austria. We are a consortium of merchants based in a valley to the north of the location our scouting party hailed yours. We welcome all partners in trade and will soon have a trained scribe to draw up agreements, should you desire such.

Let it be known that we lay claim to the land north of the river your scouting party stands beside. Particularly we intend as our southernmost border those hills, rich in Gold. Hopefully this will be agreeable to your leaders, whoever they may be.

OOC: Once more, we meet, former neighbor. One more movement point and I'd have had those ruins

8. - Top - End - #98

Spoiler: DodgeH20;Austria
    Show

Greetings from Chieftain Wu Zetian of China, Austrian.

That settlement spot is completely un-agreeable to our people, however. Those hills lined with gold as you say, are the only unique luxuries we have yet to see in the world.

OOC Sorry, so far I see at best 3 city spots, and that gold is 1 of them. Can we come to an agreement?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

9. - Top - End - #99

Show
    Certainly we understand, but all things are negotiable. We hold the metal dear to us, Gold being the metal accepted as common currency throughout the lands. No doubt your people do as well. We would gladly send you a share of the metal, free of charge, in perpetuity, if we could claim both ridges.

OOC: Understandably, it's a nice spot, from your angle and mine. I honestly am hemmed in on the west by hills and barbarians, so it's the only suitable spot I've found so far.

10. - Top - End - #100

Spoiler: DodgerH20:Austria
    Show

If that's the case, let us agree to revisit the matter in a few turns, when we both have a better lay of the land.

OOC. I'm hemmed in by city-states.

11. - Top - End - #101

Show
    Revisiting the matter at a later date does sound prudent.

12. - Top - End - #102

Spoiler: To Spectators
    Show

In the year 3460 BC.

The Chinese people were affected by a strange phenomenon imported by They started chiving off small pieces of the nearby silver laden hills.

Once collected, they would make little crude replicias of things. Of me, of their departed families. It was strange.

I have decided to call this practice, Religious idols.

They are cute. I even have one of me in my bed chambers.

~Chieftain Wu Zetian.

13. - Top - End - #103

Spoiler: Dodgerh20;Austria
    Show

I'm sorry, but I cannot let you have that city spot. I'm on an isolated peninsula, with city states crowding the area.

As it is, I'm probably going to have to Cho-ku-nu a city state for a 4th city.

I'm willing to offer you the free gold you were willing to offer me. Would that be acceptable?

~Wu Zetian. Chieftain of China.

Spoiler: For spectators
    Show

Yeah, yeah. No. Not giving up this spot.
    Last edited by Illven; 2016-03-17 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #104

Show
    OOC: As soon as I saw your Pantheon I knew the consequences for our negotiations. Incidentally, I really wanted the Gold for the tiles, not the luxuries. I have 2 Gold near my capital, so while I'd gladly take one as an appeasement, I will have to find 2 other civs to trade with before you can even offer it to me. I will, however, gladly adopt your religion should you have decent beliefs and assuming I don't somehow end up with my own. I was rushing for Religious Idols due to my start... No hard feelings, but it's completely ruined my early game plans.

If you are on a peninsula, then apparently I'm the bridge to the mainland. I'd much rather be an ally than a conquest, if you should take advantage of China's abilities for such. I can't guarantee my borders won't cut off the land bridge, so get your scouting parties up north sooner rather than later.

15. - Top - End - #105

Spoiler: Dodgerh20;Austria
    Show

OOC Is this the part where I pretend that was my plan all along, and not because I have a ton of silver down here?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Show
    ["Our warriors have searched the ruins and found signs of an ingenious advancement in society. Using pottery we can store food longer and begin placing offers to our great Godking. But even more pressing, the warriors advanced past the ruins and discovered scouts from another people! We must keep them from our bountiful lands. The scouts we sent west of our city found an old map in the ruins there. It identified another set of ruins, but also exposed a camp of barbarians just beyond our doorstep. We will need to deal with the savages soon before our workers are in any danger. They hurry to finish paddocking a nearby group of horses."]

Spoiler: Portugal, Ryuho Tsugu
    Show
    [The warriors exit ruins and spot the scouts of a foreign land not far from them. They shout out over the sands a hesitant greeting. "We are great warriors of the Mongol Empire. Our Godking Croverus greets your people but warns that the lands to west belong to us. Do not travel that way. You may pass on north or south, and we will part peacefully."]
    Last edited by Croverus; 2016-03-17 at 10:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Spoiler: Mongolia
    Show
    Close to the east lie the mountains of Portugal. These mountains and their surrounding lands are sovereign territory of Queen Maria I, and your people would do well to respect that.

Show
    [crap please don't be close by please don't be close by]
    Last edited by Ryuho Tsugu; 2016-03-18 at 02:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: Portugal
    Show
    Then our people can agree to avoid each other's lands. Our warriors will head no further east. We still have unexplored lands to the west and north of our city so hopefully we are not locked into a small region. We may soon be interested in sending out trade. When the time comes we might be interested in setting up trade routes, should your Queen be interested.

19. - Top - End - #109

Spoiler: Mongolia
    Show
    Very well.

20. - Top - End - #110

Show
    Our cartographers have brought us news. The lands west of the Golden Hub appear to end also in ocean. If you are indeed also on a small spit of land surrounded by ocean it would seem our two peoples are on an island.

Our craftsmen think they can create a seaworthy vessel but we dare not risk the loss of profits a faulty one would create, so it may be many years before an exploration ship is funded.

21. - Top - End - #111

Spoiler: Austria
    Show

Huh. I received reports from a scouting band that more land was hidden behind a city state. Perhaps the land is in that direction.

~Chieftain Wu Zetian.

[OOC I thought we were a Pangaea?]

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Spoiler: Austria
    Show
    [OOC I thought we were a Pangaea?]
    Show
    OOC: As did I? Thus the sharing of this info, being on an island would be highly unusual. I do technically have a corner that could be a one-tile bridge to more land, I'll know for sure in one or two turns.

23. - Top - End - #113

Spoiler: Austria;DW Thyme
    Show

We bring glad tidings. East of Panama city, is ever more land. Along with evidence of settlement by another major civilization. Although we do not know what this civilization calls themselves yet.

~From Chieftain Wu Zetian.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm not seeing a save file for me to download...

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    I'm not seeing a save file for me to download...
    Hm, I wonder if it messed up? The first time I tried submitting the turn it didn't work, but when I told it to retry it seemed to. Not sure what can be done if it did though...
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

26. - Top - End - #116

Croveous should be able to revert back to you, and then you can re-submit the turn.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

K I'm reverting the turn then

Edit: Or trying to. It looks like it keeps timing out...

Editedit: Ok, it's been reset.
    Last edited by Croverus; 2016-03-20 at 04:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Show
    Our warriors head across a river into some thick trees to explore a bit more before they return home to deal with the barbarian threat to the west. Out scouts had a bit of a scuffle with them but are moving around them to reach the nearby ruins. Hopefully they will find some useful artifacts. Meanwhile, our workers report that the animals have been successfully fenced off! We will decide next year what the workers will tend to next. The Warlord claims that we may soon begin training a new group of settlers to settle on the thin land bridge to prevent any unwanted attention from the east.

29. - Top - End - #119

Spoiler: Austria;Dodger h20
    Show

We bring glad tidings.

We are not alone.

To the east of Panama city, lies a narrow passage. Across that narrow passage lies another major civilization.

They call themselves the Ethiopians.

Tell your people and be glad.

For we are not alone.

~Chieftain Wu Zetian of China.

Spoiler: Ethiopia;Zevox 87
    Show

Greetings from the west. Ruler of the Ethiopians.

I am Chieftain Wu Zetian of China.

How does this fine day greet you?

Spoiler: Sunday spectator update
    Show

We tell our palace guard to explore the Southern lands for any threats they may find.

And our scouting bands find the Ethiopians.

The other band is not as successful.

Our people are nearing completion of the ability to mine the silver hills in large quantities.

As the city of Beijing focuses on recruiting for a colonization project.

Wu Zetian has declared a few special families to be enfilled with her blessing. These families are given positions of power in the tribe, as they start to age slower.

The people of China, are the most numerous, Manufactured goods, GNP, Land, and tied for best Literacy. And tied for worst approval. Wu Zetian thought that the special families would build favor, but she was wrong.

We have a little info available on the other tribes.
    Last edited by Illven; 2016-04-11 at 05:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: China (Illven)
    Show
    In case you missed it from 13, I don't really roleplay in Civ.

In any case, fine so far. Slight Barbarian issues to my east, but I believe I can handle them.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis