New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Civ 5 GMR 15: Return to normalcy

Spoiler: Portugal
    Show
    As my warriors were returning back west, they noticed some barbarians camped in the jungles south of the river where your scouts spotted my people. It may be something for you to deal with if left alone for too long. Our warriors are returning home to deal with our own barbarian problem but figured as our first neighbor we'd give you fair warning of their presence. Also we have run across another people! They come from far west and south of our capitol so it may be some time before they learn of you. We will not make your presence known unless you want it.

Spoiler: Morocco
    Show
    Hail! We are the Mongolians lead by our great Khan! Our Godking greets your scouts and informs you that there is little to the east but our city and lands we have claimed for future settling. There is a barbarian camp just north of these hills, be wary of them. We are heading Northwest to look for more sites near our grand capitol. It would be best for you to head back in the other direction.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll be traveling this weekend and unable to take my turns promptly. Would it be possible to get the timer extended (3 days should be sufficient) or temporarily disabled?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Mongolia
    Show
    Oh Khan, we welcome you to the lush and burning lands of Morocco. We believe you should know there is nothing to our west and in all current appearances, nothing to our south. As a token of our goodwill, we would have you know there is a most beautiful and holy mountain directly west of your scouts. Know that it lies directly within Moroccan claims, however. Our scouts shall continue northeast, as we must know the lay of this land.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: Morroco
    Show
    Very well. Our scouts will go to see this mountain. They will like head west and north from there. Your people shall have safe passage for now. Watch for the barbarians north of my scouts. Our warriors are afield just to the east and are rushing home to deal with them.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerH2O View Post
    I'll be traveling this weekend and unable to take my turns promptly. Would it be possible to get the timer extended (3 days should be sufficient) or temporarily disabled?
    Alright, turn timer disabled for Easter.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    We greet you in the name of Pacal, Immortal Watcher, may he protect us for all the cycles to come. We are glad to see the gods have created more in this world than the tribe of Palenque.

7. - Top - End - #127

Spoiler: The Maya
    Show
    The mountains to the north of your scouting party and the surrounding lands are the sovereign territory of Maria I. From where do your people hail?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Our people live in a desert, far south of our meeting. And your claim of sovereignty is strange to us. How can you claim the earth, when you do not live on it? Will you next claim the air, the streams, the sea? Those all belong to the gods, and they give them to their children to live upon.

edit: turn timer reinstated
    Last edited by Narkis; 2016-03-29 at 04:49 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    edit: turn timer reinstated
    You might want to edit it, considering it's telling me that my turn doesn't expire for almost 8,000 years.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #130

Spoiler: The Maya
    Show
    It is because our God has given us this land to rule that we claim it as sovereign. Any who would attempt to frustrate His design will be dealt with as an enemy.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: the Maya
    Show
    Howdy there, neighbor! Glad to see some civilized folks around here. The last bunch we met didn't speak a lick of English, not even when we talked real loud and slow.

Spoiler: China
    Show
    Howdy there, green fellows! Watcha doing in these parts?
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Then your god is a selfish one, for the land is a gift from all the gods, nourishing all their children. And only so long as they occupy and cultivate it do they have a right to the soil. How can a single god say it belongs only to him?

Spoiler: America
    Show
    We greet you in the name of Pacal, Immortal Watcher, may he protect us for all the cycles to come. Your dialect may be peculiar, but we are also glad to meet some friendly children of the gods. We despaired when we encountered the tribe of Portugal first, for they are avaricious and belligerent, and they worship a selfish god.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: America;The snark
    Show

Greetings from the Western Isles. Home of the Chinese and Austria people.

We are merely exploring the wonders of the world. Should we assume the same for you?

~Chieftain Wu Zetian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: America (The Snark)
    Show
    Well, I see I've finally met someone besides Illven. And since unlike him you've actually researched writing, I've sent you an offer to exchange embassies.

Judging by where your scout popped up, I'm guessing you're east of me, probably past that city-state to my southeast?

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #135

Show
    The Golden Hub of Austria wishes to issue their congratulations on your recent settlement. We wish to ask if you would take it amiss were we to settle on the western side of the peninsula, as preparations for an expedition have begun.

Also, Barbarians have been harassing our scouting party near your capital. We have not heard from them for some time and they may already have been lost, but if you could send some troops towards your east we would be grateful.

OOC: Near the Cocoa and Bananas I'm hoping for a small city. Its eastern borders will be quite cozy with your new city but shouldn't be taking any of your high value tiles.

16. - Top - End - #136

Spoiler: Austria;Dodgerh20
    Show

We believe that would be okay, we'll have to check with our map makers to be certain.

However, buying tiles will be severely frowned upon. About how long do you think it'll be till you can settle.

~Chieftain Wu Zetian of China.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show
    A Traveler's Guide to Morocco

Welcome to the land of the hunters. Although advisors recommended studying the way of the deserts, rumors reached the Moroccan lands of a people who already began research. Since the desert would no longer prove inspiring, the governor dictated that all workers learn how to best serve wild game. Visitors are encouraged to try our world famous truffles while visiting.

Curse my bad luck. I have a feeling there are a few religious states/ancient ruins out there spoiling my religion game. Missed Desert Folklore, which might cause some problems. However, I'm also not finding any deserts that are actually close to me. The closest major desert I can find lies beyond Mongolia.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    You assume right, partner! Any nat'ral wonders round these parts we oughta take a gander at?

Spoiler: Ethiopia
    Show
    Sure thing, neighbor! Our town is east a ways, we've been on the road a good while now. Any local sights we should see?

Spoiler: Maya
    Show
    Well that's a darn shame. We'll keep an eye out for those Portugal hooligans.

What's all this god stuff you're on about?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: America (The Snark)
    Show
    Nothing I can specifically point you to. My units have been tied up dealing with a barbarian camp for a while, so I've gotten less scouting done than I'd like. Illven mentioned another City-State to my west at one point, but I've yet to find the opportunity to go see it for myself.

20. - Top - End - #140

Spoiler: America, The snark
    Show

Yes. Very close by is Mt. Kilimanjaro. And far to the west, is a natural steam fountain, the locals call Old faithful. How about any you have seen?

Chieftain Wu Zetian of China.

21. - Top - End - #141

Spoiler: Maya, Narkis
    Show

~Greeting leader of the Mayan people. We of the Chinese hail far to the west. How does this fine day greet you?

Chieftain Wu Zetian

Spoiler: Sunday spectator update extravaganza!
    Show

We are told by the diviners, that their are those who pray as they hunt for swiftness. They should be careful they do not become prey!

[OOC We'll be here all week!]

[Look at that little worker all cute, and defenseless and alone.]

~The Chieftain gave us orders. Many did not like these orders. But the Chieftain's word was law. None dared disobey her.

[Yoink!]

~And like that, did the first acts of Chinese slavery take place.

We settled a new outpost. The Northern parts of Chinese lands. With it's own defense force, reporting on Barbarians in the region.

Bejing's defense force moves a little out to take care of some savages that border our lands.

Meanwhile our freed workband mines out the local silver hills.

And our far out scouting band meets yet another people. The Mayans.

Our people have mastered the art of making and working bronze, the art of Masonry. With this knowledge they shall enlighten the world.

Although we have maps of our capital. Our map maker decided to get drunk instead of marking Shanghai. Wu Zetian had him and his family executed for his failure.

She was able to do so. Since our new code of laws, counts treason as disobeying the order of the chieftain.

The Chinese people are amazing. The top of the pack in everything, but Crop yield, and Literacy.

But Wu Zetian graces us lesser minds with great info about our foes.

22. - Top - End - #142

Show

Have I ever mentioned

how much

I hate barbarians?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Just Kilimanjaro... and o' course the city of Washington Dee Cee a little ways northeast!

24. - Top - End - #144

Show
    You inquire as of the timeline for our proposed settlement. The Golden Hub estimates a full eight caravan cycles before the embarkation of our colonists. We assure you, we wish the site only as a western trading port and for access to the goods within immediate working area. We will not hasten the development of our borders, but our citizens are likely to want to begin farming the rich lands bordering the nearby lake, and we cannot guarantee their behaviors.

25. - Top - End - #145

Show

Why are there so many barbarians in this area? Was Raging Barbarians turned on?

Let us never forget the scout who died to lure the filthy savages away from the founders of the new city of Porto, where our people can visit the holy mountain of Uluru.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: America
    Show
    Greetings, oh great one. It is welcome to see a friendly face out in the world. Know that the delegation from the lush and burning lands of Morocco is already on its way to your beautiful city. We hope this is the beginning of a profitable friendship between our two peoples.

27. - Top - End - #147

Show

Here's hoping nobody manages to rush Stonehenge.

28. - Top - End - #148

Spoiler: Sunday spectator update
    Show

Barbarians come from the Southern icy lands. They hunger and pillage. But with Wu Zetian's guidance, we can break them.

Wu Zetian has sent out another pack to settle the western coast. However annoyance lurks when it turns out we see barbarians on our western front.

Our scouting band, scouts out the slaves, squashing any signs of discontent among the populace.

Our other scouting band lurks around the American settler band. Perhaps if we get lucky, we can put an end to it.

Now that we are able to, Wu Zetian sends written orders, on our scientists to track the passage of seasons.

And here we see Beijing, and Wu Zetian on her glorious throne.

And here in Northern China, we see the fertile settlement of Shanghai.

Wu Zetian is no longer Chief Wu Zetian. Now, she is Queen. Long live the queen!

Queen Wu Zetian is glad for her people. For we have the most fertile lands, make the most goods, have the most land, is the most well liked ruler, and our people are the smartest in the world.

People do not visit other nations.

Our intelligence tells us not to worry over the culture and the military of other nations.

29. - Top - End - #149

Spoiler: Spectators: Turn 30 update
    Show
    The fledgling empire of Portugal, led by Queen Maria I

The capital, Lisbon: Our people have completed construction of a great stone altar, the better to pursue our faith. Now we turn to secular matters, putting together a trade caravan bound for a minor city we met in the north. Once we have secured a stable economic base, we must put together a militia to rout the savages that plague our lands and bring justice to the scouting party that gave their lives that Porto may be founded.
    The holy city of Porto: The other great bastion of our faith, Porto's proximity to our holy mountains will ensure that all will, in time, know the majesty of the God that has given us this land to rule. For now, building efforts will concentrate on feeding the people.

Demographics: [Look at that approval rating. I must be the only person with negative happiness right now. Along with a laughable 2 GPT, this isn't boding very well. If I manage first religion I'm definitely taking Tithe for my founder belief.]
    Knowledge: [After finishing Bronze Working to check for iron in the vicinity, I'm going to take Trapping because of all the ivory near me and then Sailing for the second trade route. Gotta make that money.]
    Faith: [Both pantheons I wanted got taken already, probably by people who found ruins instead of barbarians, so I took Fertility Rites, since none of the other +faith beliefs would help me and boosted growth is always helpful, especially since the Temple of Artemis DLC is disabled.]

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    Greetings, good lady. We of the Moroccan trading institute welcome you to our lush and burning lands. We hope this meeting of scouting parties is the forerunner to millennia of profitable trade and visitation by our two peoples.

Show
    The Moroccan tourism institute advises against foreign travel at the moment. Currently, violent barbarians are swarming at all known potential tourist sights. The Moroccan army is currently en route to clear out any angry tourists who may attack the unprepared.

A.K.A. I am having barbarian problems and every city site that I've wanted to found has had a camp next to it. Hopefully I can get a move on soon, or else I won't have many settlement spots left.