New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5 GMR 15: Return to normalcy

Spoiler: Sunday spectator update!
    Show

Kathmandu is annoyed at our invasion of their sovereign territory. Even if it's for their own good.

Our palace guard also hunts for savages.

As the Chinese main roadway starts being paved.

Shanghai's defense form reports no problems.

As our mounted archery squads carefully approach the savages.

\

As our scout travels the northern lands.

As new Palace guards are recruited from the eager populace.

As we finish the science of Engineering. We start the study of Guilds.

And Bejing works on a national college.

As Shanghai starts constructing a caravan for the merchants guilds to come.

And Guangzhou works on a water mill.

Here we see the government form has not changed since the yesteryears.

China has the most numerous people, the most grain per harvest, the most goods constructed, the greatest economy, the biggest army, and the most literate peoples.

And our intelligence agency reveals info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, unlike #16, this game looks like it should be compatible with my version of CiV, so I'd like to replace the artificial intelligence leaders of Portugal with ... something slightly less incompetent, hopefully
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-05-24 at 02:53 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, this invite link should work. Welcome aboard!
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: America
    Show
    OOC: Accepted your request, stupid AI was making me move my troops south even though I want them going north to deal with a city state. I've started razing philly, you can do the same with turfan. How much further up should I settle a city to keep it from blocking out your island?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Mongolia
    Show
    OOC: The island in question is here:

I believe the minimum space between cities is 3 tiles, meaning that you could settle 1 hex north or east and it should work fine. Thanks for being obliging about this - I was all set to dig in my heels and start building a navy, but I'm happy to point my rowdy Americans in someone else's direction

It's probably worth discussing what happens to the cocoa and fish resources ahead of time, since those will likely end up within reach of both cities. I'd hoped to nab the cocoa for myself, but it is on the mainland in your sphere of influence, and I can live without it; you take the cocoa, I take the fish?
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Show
    OOC: The island in question is here:

I believe the minimum space between cities is 3 tiles, meaning that you could settle 1 hex north or east and it should work fine. Thanks for being obliging about this - I was all set to dig in my heels and start building a navy, but I'm happy to point my rowdy Americans in someone else's direction

It's probably worth discussing what happens to the cocoa and fish resources ahead of time, since those will likely end up within reach of both cities. I'd hoped to nab the cocoa for myself, but it is on the mainland in your sphere of influence, and I can live without it; you take the cocoa, I take the fish?
    Show
    I almost finished that plantation too I'm happy to let you have the fish. Seeing how close that island is I feel silly to not have noticed it sooner. My scouts never went along that coast. I'll probably put the city towards east instead to get that minimum distance and also avoid my border expansion pushing to get that fish on its own. And sorry about in the INC hostility, I like to play the Mongols as, well, Mongols. They think everything is theirs and are more than happy to send war to others to take it. But in this situation the benefits are mutual and the only thing the Monogls lose is the time spent growing Turfan. Regrettable but certainly less costly than waging an open war with such a close neighbor. Posts after this will be back INC. Mongols will be begrudging, but they acknowledge smart tactics, and frankly expect the Americans to have a strong military. If Morocco, America and Mongolia decided to unite, we could likely stand up to any of the other nations, since we seem centrally located compared to other nations. I myself provide incense to at least 3 other nations while still maintaining some for myself. We'll send you some once we have our new city established as a show of good faith and hope for a smoother future.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    No need to apologize; a little belligerence spices these games up, and I'm at least trying to play the 'Muricans as cavalier and reckless (I tend to play cautiously by habit, so we'll see how that works). But the inland sea makes for a convenient natural border, and given that 'centrally located' can easily turn into 'surrounded by potential enemies' I'm happy to have at least one front I don't need to worry about.

I think we might already have a trade deal going, incense for spices? I know I'm trading spices to someone for a spare luxury, anyway. We can work something out if we haven't already.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Barbarian in the Playground

Show
    Greetings from The Golden Hub of Austria. We apologize for the delay in diplomatic missives but are glad for the embassy exchange. Our merchant council hopes for peaceful and profitable relations with the American people.

Spoiler: Maya
    Show
    The Golden Hub of Austria sends our greetings to the Mayan people. We hope to send a member of the merchant council to take residence in your diplomatic center and would welcome an ambassador from your people. We hope for peaceful and profitable trade possibilities with your lands.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Austria
    Show
    We greet you in the name of the Immortal Watcher Pacal. Your delegate is welcome in Palenque. We wish for nothing but to be friends, for we are all the children of the gods. In our veins runs the divine blood of Kukulcan, the Great Feathered Serpent, who tasked us to live in harmony lest we are judged unworthy and destroyed like their previous creations.

10. - Top - End - #250

Rumours of a coup in portuguese capital. Very little details spill out, but apparently cities have changed names, few members of the court and military high command disappeared mysteriously. Over all, not much has changed. Taxes have not been raised, so a collective shrug of shoulders has been the only real reaction from the common folk. Life goes on as usual.

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

Portuguese capital city. Formerly known as Lisbon, renamed to mark a beginning of a new, more prosperous era. Very soon we will send an expedition to settle the western side of our strip of a land. It's good to have access to sea from more than one side of our empire. Feels safer that way.

Pilgrim Heights, formerly Porto. Very important to the local populace, because of a nearby mountain that apparently is deemed holy.

Liberi Montis? Not sure we understand what this is all about, but better let the people have their faith, to keep them happier. We don't want any angry rebels foiling our day.

[TWO holy buildings! Culture victory in sights! Also happiness unlikely to be a problem, in the long run. Enhancer, which didn't fit the screen, is Itinerant Preachers (religion spreads to cities +30% further away).]
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-06-02 at 09:15 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

11. - Top - End - #251

Out of curiosity, what's the naming theme?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

12. - Top - End - #252

If the city is by a lake for example, and has salt luxury, then it might become Salt Lake City. Dumb. Simple. Effective. Dumb.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-05-28 at 12:30 PM.
    Well that was awkward.

13. - Top - End - #253

Spoiler: RayGallade, Morocco
    Show

We sent you a trade, Gems for our Silver. Do you accept?

Spoiler: Sunday spectator update extravaganza
    Show

The Sofia's expect us to act like common bullies, simply because we have a military.

We hear words on the winds that the Mayans have completed a great wonder of the desert.

As our spearmen engage in emergency recruitment.

To bring the fight to the savages.

Our general moves to the front to wait to fight the Austrian scum.

As we continue building the great Chinese road network.

Shanghai's defense force reports to problems with the Austrians.

We return to our fertile savages farms. Eager to import them to other lands.

As our scout wanders the lands.

Guangzhou's defense force takes note of Ethiopia's scouting band, but reports no problems.

Here we see all of the technologies available to the Chinese empire.

Here we see maps of the capital city Bejing.

As Shanghai almost finishes another caravan.

And Guanzhou on Wu Zetian's orders work on a composite bowmen squad.

Since yesteryear our people have adopted the code of the archer.

Our people are the most numerous, have the most fertile harvests, and the largest military.

The Chinese governments accumulates knowledge on our foes and rivals.

And we open

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Illven, China
    Show
    The Moroccan Institute of Trade accepts your offer of silver for gems. May this beautiful metal adorn the temples of Syrinx even as our gemstones awe your people.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Second time my turn was skipped because I was at work all day. I was too busy last night to check and worked early. Can we extend turns to 36 hours so I don't miss any more turns? Sometimes I simply don't have time to check it when I get doen with work and I just have to hope I can get on the next day with a little bit of time left.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    Second time my turn was skipped because I was at work all day. I was too busy last night to check and worked early. Can we extend turns to 36 hours so I don't miss any more turns? Sometimes I simply don't have time to check it when I get doen with work and I just have to hope I can get on the next day with a little bit of time left.
    I can do it, if nobody objects.

17. - Top - End - #257

I'm ok with a timer extension. This game seems to move along fairly well anyhow, and if it helps us keep people in I'm all for it.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I have no objections to the turn timer extension.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

This game's moving fast enough most of the time I think, so a timer extension sounds okay to me.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

20. - Top - End - #260

Spoiler: Ethiopia
    Show
    It appears our merchant fleet will finally be rebuilt after the sacking by the barbarians. We should have a portion of its proceeds sent to you with the next trading cycle. In addition, we are in a better financial situation this time. If the barbarians pillage the new fleet we should be able to continue the tribute regardless.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerH2O View Post
    Show
    It appears our merchant fleet will finally be rebuilt after the sacking by the barbarians. We should have a portion of its proceeds sent to you with the next trading cycle. In addition, we are in a better financial situation this time. If the barbarians pillage the new fleet we should be able to continue the tribute regardless.
    Spoiler: Austria (DodgerH2O)
    Show
    That's good news.

By the way, if memory serves you're one of the only nations I've met who doesn't have Marble, and I have an extra at this point. If you come into possession of a spare luxury I don't have anytime in the near future, I'd be eager to trade. A bit less eager to trade for gold, but I could be willing to do that too.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

22. - Top - End - #262

Spoiler: To Mongolia, from Portugal.
    Show
    We don't know what kind of relationship you had with the previous leadership of Portugal (maybe shouldn't have burned down ALL of their old documents after all..), but we'd like you to know that your well-packed but unarmed people, who are currently marching in great numbers towards our empire, are all perfectly safe and under the caring oversight of our good and noble troops. We only wish they do not plan to settle down too close to our borders, so that there will remain enough fertile land for everyone.

xxx

-------

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

Hmm. Ominous.

Really ominous! Someone's been on a rampage here. The dust has barely settled.

Better be careful with our neighbours, it seems.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-06-10 at 12:18 PM.
    Well that was awkward.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: New Leader of Portugal
    Show
    Ah, there is new leadership there? Well we must inform you of a few things then. We have settler who will be establishing cities both on the small peninsula yours scouts are at, and among the north cost of the land bridge to start harvesting the incense crops there, which we value dearly. These cities would have been in place sooner but had some issues with the Americans tot he south about land and thus each of us traded a city to be burned down so new ones could be made in more efficient locations. Once we have secured the incense we have no plans to move further east. You can ask the Americans about the city placement issue. Our nations were on the verge of war until we all calmed down, had a good laugh, and simply agreed to shuffle the cities around. I do advise you move your scout back east soon before he is trapped within my borders.

Spoiler: China
    Show
    Your scout within our borders should head back west. They cannot pass further east without hitting Mongolian borders, and Morroco's borders are close to cutting off the only route the scout has back to their home, though they can maybe skirt the sea if they have boats. Thought we'd let you know before those men are trapped so far from home.

24. - Top - End - #264

Spoiler: Mongolia; Croverus
    Show

A shame. We were told that there was one more major nation in the world. It seems that we will be unable to meet them for the time being.

~Sincerely Wu Zetian of China.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: China
    Show
    That would be Portugal. Indeed, they are just beyond our borders. If your scouts are comfortable setting up a camp outside our borders we can hopefully work up plans in a few years to allow safe border crossing for your people.

26. - Top - End - #266

As of 80 AD, a state of war exists between China and Austria.

Austrian citizens that comply with Wu Zetian's orders, will be unharmed, those that resist will be used as target practice for our soldiers.

May we meet on the field of battle.

[OOC Sunday spectator war update up, tonight!]

27. - Top - End - #267

The Golden Hub of Austria wishes to remind our Chinese neighbors that we did not contest their claim on the best land for settlement and have only acted in good faith in the past.

Should China continue this invasion, we will have no choice but to denounce them and tell the rest of the world that the western peninsula should remain quarantined from civilized lands at all costs, as well as giving whatever financial and military support we may muster to China's closest enemies.

28. - Top - End - #268

Show
    It seems your worries have borne out. Should China not rescind their declaration of war we would donate what resources we can to your people for the defense of your lands against such selfish incursions as they would wage. If you desire we would provide several hundred gold to your coffers before our lands fall if you will only commit to spiting the Chinese in all future endeavors.

We gave them the only good spot we had for a secondary city and they used the benefit of such to create an army to invade us. You cannot expect good will, only conquest. The sooner you understand that, the better, regardless of your feelings on our offer of financial aid.

29. - Top - End - #269

Spoiler: Sunday spectator update extravaganza
    Show

Having mastered the ways of the seas, Wu Zetian even as the war room buzzed with activity demanded that soldiers train in the art of horseback riding to aid the information arm of the war effort.

In addition on the dawn of the war with the Austrian people, Wu Zetian installed a military tradition among our people. To be considered an adult, each person had to provide 2 years service in the military.

The city guards reported no problems on the onset of the war.

Our workbands start harvesting stone from Beijing territory to help in construction.

As our outdated chariot squads and spearmen troops busy themselves fighting the completely uncivilized savages.

[Welp, let's begin.]

"None wanted Wu Zetian's orders. The Chinese and the Austrian people.... We were never the best of friends, but we were close, we were neighbors. But when Wu Zetian returned from the void.... She had grown monstrous and war-like. None were able to persuade her to change course, and thus... Here we are.... shooting down citizens that in another world, we could have been friends."

The private thoughts of General Timur.

Immediately the people of Prague were furious. Furious that our specialized crossbows were to be turned against the Austrians. Wu Zetian was in a merciful mood however, she will let them live.

As did a minor nation we had never of before, called Sydney.

"We raised our weapons against the citizens of Southharbor.... Wu Zetian would butcher my husband and children if I didn't.... Was it enough.... I still hear their screams... as I raised my weapon..."

An unnamed soldier

"Wu Zetian.. Timur waited till after the front attacked to move in. Cowardice, or sympathies for the Austrians... We should investigate further."
    A coded message from 80 AD.

The imperialistic war machine that was China moved into war. The troops most of them hungered for blood. Whetted on the savages, they needed real prey to entertain them.

[Our scouting band moves to return home.]

Here we see what the glorious Wu Zetian has lead our scientists to study.

Maps of Beijing. Situated on the glorious tri river.

Shanghai, the largest known city in the world.

Guangzhou, also contributing to the war effort.

The military tradition of China, is roaring strong, as we hear glorious tales of victory!

The Chinese people are amazing! Who wouldn't to join the Chinese empire?

The Chinese people have obtained plenty of info about our foes.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerH2O View Post
    Show
    It seems your worries have borne out. Should China not rescind their declaration of war we would donate what resources we can to your people for the defense of your lands against such selfish incursions as they would wage. If you desire we would provide several hundred gold to your coffers before our lands fall if you will only commit to spiting the Chinese in all future endeavors.

We gave them the only good spot we had for a secondary city and they used the benefit of such to create an army to invade us. You cannot expect good will, only conquest. The sooner you understand that, the better, regardless of your feelings on our offer of financial aid.
    Spoiler: Austira (Dodger H2O)
    Show
    Aye, unfortunately my scout near China's lands became caught in the south between Barbarians and their own expanding borders cutting off their path north, so I wasn't able to see what they were up to. I'm sorry about that.

Do you believe your situation hopeless, then? I was thinking of threatening China with an attack of my own in an attempt to get them to back down, since you've been a staunch trading partner who has never acted in less than good faith. I must admit it would be part bluff at this time, as my own military is minimal and suited only for defense, but I can begin harassing them and redirect my cities' efforts to building it up until I can make good on it. But if it will be unable to save your nation, it may be wiser not to begin hostilities right away.