The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: In Dreams to Come OOC 2 - Spiffy Subtitle Also To Come

Yeah, making them Vulnerable to their own Reflection if they attack you and miss is fine, leaving you Vulnerable to the next attack if they hit, is fine.

Strength 1: Tricked
    Strength 2: Tricked
    Pain 1: Tricked
    Pain 2: Tricked
    Speed 2: Tricked
    Mind 1: (1d20)[9]. Tricked
    Mind 2: (1d20)[19]. So close dude! Tricked.

Strength 2 will Interpose for Leader. I will start kicking myself for not having had one of them Interpose against the disarm. Seriously, was my brain off when I resolved that action? Did my own NPCs slip some of their drugs into my food or something? Anyway. Toughness (DC 25): (1d20+12)[15]. Strength (DC 20): (1d20+12)[26]. Bruised and Dazed
    Pain 2 will Interpose for Speed 2, and is Immune to Crits. Toughness (DC 25): (1d20+8)[20]. Dodge (DC 20): (1d20+8)[27]. Bruised
    Pain 1 will take it. Toughness (DC 25): (1d20+8)[10]. Dodge (DC 20): (1d20+8)[23]. Bruised and Staggered

Most likely the Binding Resin will apply to a Pain target, given Interposes and priority list, so: Fortitude (DC 15 after Half Effect Immunity): (1d20+12)[19].

EDIT: None were Grabbed, so Mandragora winds up not burning his Extra Effort on a dude who's practically immune to it and may Vine Lash again.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-03-06 at 02:05 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    Strength 2 will Interpose for Leader. I will start kicking myself for not having had one of them Interpose against the disarm. Seriously, was my brain off when I resolved that action? Did my own NPCs slip some of their drugs into my food or something?
    Josh's Trick was so good it went back in time.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

No internet service for most of the weekend >.< My bad

(1d20+4)[22] Toughness vs DC 27 (not gonna happen)

(1d20+4)[8] Fortitude vs DC 22 (Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Hp to reroll Fortitude (Internet acting up again >.<)

(1d20+4)[16] (+10 on 14 or less)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

I'll just go ahead and lash the same targets.
    Leader: (1d20+7)[9]
    Speed 1: (1d20+7)[19]
    Speed 2: (1d20+7)[22]
    Pain 1: (1d20+7)[15]
    Pain 2: (1d20+7)[12]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Mind 1 will Interpose for Speed 2 against Mandragora (since Strength 2 already Interposed this round and Strength 1 is Prone).
    Mind 1 Toughness (DC 25): (1d20+8)[26]. Resists
    Mind 1 Dodge (DC 20): (1d20+8)[17]. Grabbed

Against Cinder 2:
    Strength 2 Toughness (DC 27, -1 for Bruise): (1d20+11)[21]. Bruised and Dazed
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-03-07 at 11:11 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I think Simon's attack last round is one of my biggest GMing fails ever.

I just noticed the leader is immune to crits.

I'm not retconning it. Undoing something awesome out of a GM-stupidity induced technicality is annoying. I just felt a record should exist of the sheer depths of my failure to effectively resolve that action. So the GMs of the future know just how badly it is possible to mess up a single attack. May my incompetence be to the benefit of posterity. Anyway, moving on.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

And totally almost forgot, Mandragora take a Hero Point for saving the SIDE agent's life.

Round 2 is up

Mandragora, give me Dodge DC 18 for half, Toughness DC 23/19 vs. Damage, twice. Also give me Will DC 23/18 vs. Damage Linked Weaken Will. Finally, after resolving that first Will save, you can roll DC 33 Insight or Deception to ignore the Feint, but if it fails, Will DC 18 vs. Entranced/Compelled/Controlled.

Gestalt, Toughness DC 27 vs. Damage, Fortitude DC 22 vs. Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated Affliction, and Toughness DC 23 vs. Damage.

Simon, Dodge DC 18 for half, Toughness DC 23/19 vs. Damage, twice.

Josh, you're fine, and you make other speedsters look like doofuses. Doofus? Doofi? Whatever. They should stop hitting themselves.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Wait, people tricked by Josh don't actually have to attack him? They can just ignore him?

I thought I'd finally achieved an ultimate monopoly on the action economy!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, I didn't think you were even trying that. A Trick only does one thing, so I figured yours was meant to be the "make them vulnerable to their reflected attacks if they miss" bit.

That being said, even allowing Tricks to manipulate who an enemy attacks is a kinda generous reading (and about triply so for doing it with Agile Feint, if I'm honest). And social skills are not magic. It's one thing to get an enemy to focus on a certain opponent kinda all else being equal. But compelling opponents to attack a target who is A) hard for them to hurt in the first place, B) actively defending itself further, and C) going to strike back against them if they try...yeah, I think I've got to draw a line there.

Honestly the more I think about it, the more I feel like I've been giving Tricks a touch too much credit. This is why the Agile Feint uses of them have seemed so weird. Even just looking at the examples in the SRD and things like Redirect, it's seeming like Tricks are less about manipulating an enemy's action than causing it to not notice a risk. Like, compelling the enemy to attack Josh doesn't really make a ton of sense in a lot of cases, especially if the enemy has a compelling reason not to do so. But Tricking the enemy into thinking Josh is Vulnerable when he is in fact Defending? That is a lot more valid, and could easily be fluffed with Agile Feint (and it likewise makes it make sense if Josh gets caught Vulnerable by a high-degree failure - the enemy catches him before he can recover from his faked stumble or whatever). It doesn't guarantee the enemy will attack him, but it definitely makes it more likely.

Anyone want to weigh in on this? I also don't want to make Tricks useless, as they are rather difficult to land properly, suffering from the whole "well if something bad will happen if the NPC does this and fails, how about not have the NPC do that" issue. But if it's fairly clear that the whole point of a Trick is that it's concealing a risk from the enemy, that kinda squares it (I mean, assuming I'm being a good GM ). So at that point, I would probably say that if you do Trick an enemy, that enemy will probably take the action relevant to the trick unless it has a compelling reason not to. Like, if the enemy is already pounding on someone it's better suited to pounding on, or its particular powers are desperately needed elsewhere, yeah, it probably won't just waste its turn on you even if you rolled high on Deception. But if the enemy's been just kinda attacking whoever seems like a decent choice at the moment, a Trick will probably make you appear to be that decent choice.

...That was rambly, but you guys are probably used to it by now.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Hmm. I mean, that's a fair interpretation. I'm really just looking for some way to 'dodge tank' for large groups of enemies, and I feel you understand this because of your time working on Badger. I'm not attached to Tricks; the idea was I was imagining it as not a social skill and just...really good footwork. He's in everyone's face and on their back and flanking them all at once using Speed so, unless you can keep your cool (Insight) or have awesome reflexes (Acrobatics), you freak out a bit and default to attacking him. And in other cases it could also be an Interpose effect where even if you weren't shooting at Josh he catches the bullet on his way past, or if you try to punch somebody else he pushes them out of the way. He just runs around being a nuisance and wasting enemy time (the theme I'm going to move toward now with this sheet is manipulating action economy).

Maybe I could drop the Features and Link Deflect to an Affliction. Like...

Perfect Flow
    Affliction 10 (Dodge; Entranced/Stunned)
    +Area (Burst)
    ++Increased Range (Perception)
    -Limited Degree
    -Limited (Target only Entranced/Stunned if they don't directly attack Josh during their turn)

But it's a bit too expensive to fit in the array, even without the Reflect extra. How many points can I shave off by making it have to emanate from Josh like a Close effect, despite being Perception range? Like, going from Close to Ranged lets you hit people that aren't adjacent to you for +1/rank, and going from Ranged to Perception doesn't really increase your range (well, it does, but I don't think that has ever come up ever) but just lets you skip the attack roll/dodge check/whatever for another +1/rank. Does that mean that going from Close to 'still Close but no attack/dodge' is still +1/rank, because you're getting the +1/Rank of 'no attack/dodge' but not the +1/rank of 'can hit people that aren't adjacent'? Or is that too wacky even for you? If that's a no-go, what is it to have Perception range Areas only emanate from the user? -1 Quirk?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel like the way Simons been using Tricks so far can be better handled mechanically with the Deflect/Redirect power. I also feel like Tricks are more about special maneuvers or forcing a mistake from the opponent given the examples. I'd be ok with you clamping down on Tricks.

Simon cannot fail those Dodge checks.
    Toughness DC 19 vs Damage: (1d20+5)[21] Resisted
    Toughness DC 19 vs Damage: (1d20+5)[11] Bruised, Dazed
    Last edited by Dorni; 2016-03-08 at 07:53 AM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry about being light on fluff in my IC post. I wanted to get Simon's action posted before work since it will impact others. I'll flesh it out when I get off work.

Everyone near Simon heals 2 damage conditions and the entire party benefits from Command Offense. Come to think of it, QD, does Simon's last attack also get the assist?

Also, I realize I didn't make clear that Simon has spent 2 HP to elite fatigue from this and last round's Extra Efforts
    Last edited by Dorni; 2016-03-08 at 01:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Actually only one Bruise each. The crit doesn't apply to the Healing, it being A) a power that doesn't involve attack rolls in the first place and B) an Area power.

Strength 1 Toughness (DC 35 after Multiattack and Crit): (1d20+12)[31]. Wow, Bruised.

Very Probably Pain 2 Toughness (DC 30 after Multiattack, Immune to Crit): (1d20+8)[26]. Okay, never mind then. DC is 35, he has +4 Toughness, takes -1 for Bruise, so Strength 1 Bruised and Dazed.

EDIT: And nah, Command Offense is for allies-other-than-you.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-03-08 at 01:39 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+11)[22] (Toughness vs DC 27, -1 from Bruise)
    (1d20+12)[30] (Fortitude vs DC 22)
    (1d20+11)[15] (Toughness vs DC 23, -1(or -2 depending on first roll) for Bruise)

16. - Top - End - #46

Kobold

Dodge 1: (1d20+10)[19], Toughness 1: (1d20+10)[23]
    Dodge 2: (1d20+10)[18], Toughness 2: (1d20+10)[23]
    Will vs. damage/weaken: (1d20+8)[25]

17. - Top - End - #47

Kobold

Successes all-around on the first set.

Insight (need a nat 20, but worth a shot...): (1d20+8)[16]
    Will vs. affliction: (1d20+8)[12]

18. - Top - End - #48

Kobold

Will reroll: (1d10+18)[27]

I seem to be doing a lot of triple-posts lately.

Also, I must have missed what Command Offense on the Runeblade does. Is it anything we need to take into account in our rolls?
    Last edited by Born; 2016-03-08 at 07:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

For every Attack you roll, roll for Simon assisting you as a Team Attack with a +14 attack bonus. His Damage is Rank 6 for this effect.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Strength 1 Toughness (DC 30 after Team Attack, -2 for Bruises): (1d20+10)[22]. Bruised and Dazed
    Strength 2 Toughness (DC 30 after Team Attack, -2 for Bruises): (1d20+10)[27]. Bruised
    Pain 2 Interposes for Speed 1.
    Pain 2 Toughness (DC 29 after Multiattack and Team Attack): (1d20+8)[13]. INCAPACITATED!
    Strength 1 Interposes for Speed 2.
    Strength 1 Toughness (DC 25, -2 for Bruises): (1d20+10)[12]. Bruised and Staggered
    Mind 2 Toughness (DC 29 after Multiattack and Team Attack): (1d20+8)[11]. INCAPACITATED!
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-03-08 at 09:21 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see...the guns are attended objects, so give me an attack roll against their Parry (well, two attack rolls, one for each), and then they can resist with Dodge. If they fail, the guns are ash, and you can try again each round they remain within range.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-03-09 at 10:26 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20)[20]
    (1d20)[10]

Dunno if it's close combat or ranged. +4 for the first, +7 for the latter.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Strength 1: Toughness (DC 27 after Team Attack, -4 for Bruises): (1d20+8)[24]. Strength (DC 20): (1d20+12)[16]. Bruised and Grabbed
    Strength 2: Toughness (DC 27 after Team Attack, -3 for Bruises): (1d20+9)[23]. Strength (DC 20): (1d20+12)[14]. Bruised and Bound

Speed 1: Toughness (DC 25): (1d20+4)[19]. Dodge (DC 20): (1d20+12)[32]. Bruised and Dazed
    Speed 2: Toughness (DC 27 after Team Attack): (1d20+4)[16]. Dodge (DC 20): (1d20+12)[24]. Bruised and Staggered
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-03-10 at 11:35 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

And forgot to roll against the gun melting. Second one missed (not that it really matters since that guy's out anyway), but first crits, so:

Pain 2 Dodge (DC 21): (1d20+8)[24]. Pulls it away
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-03-11 at 12:07 AM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Round 3 is up

Simon, give me Toughness DC 19 vs. Damage, Will DC 14 vs. Vulnerable/Stunned/Incapacitated Affliction. Then give me Toughness DC 23 vs. Damage.

Mandragora, Toughness DC 27 vs. Damage.

WARNING! Aaron has been Incapacitated and Pain 1 has readied a Finishing Attack against him with intent to kill. This attack will kill him if it is triggered and not somehow prevented. It will be triggered by any further combat action on the Heroes' parts.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Contemplating options for saving Aaron.

If Simon charges the guy it should trigger the attack action immediately. No good.

Can Simon draw his gun with his free hand and shoot the gun from the guy's hand as per Disarm? Or destroy it as per Smash? I think either would trigger the execution though.

Can Simon spend a HP as an Instant Counter to do either of the above, or just represent shooting his hand to spoil the shot as an opposed attack roll? I'd go for shooting the bullet out of the air with his laser, but that just seems gratuitous.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dorni View Post
    Contemplating options for saving Aaron.

If Simon charges the guy it should trigger the attack action immediately. No good.

Can Simon draw his gun with his free hand and shoot the gun from the guy's hand as per Disarm? Or destroy it as per Smash? I think either would trigger the execution though.

Can Simon spend a HP as an Instant Counter to do either of the above, or just represent shooting his hand to spoil the shot as an opposed attack roll? I'd go for shooting the bullet out of the air with his laser, but that just seems gratuitous.
    Yeah pretty much any standard or move action would trigger the attack.

The Instant Counter I'd allow (technically it's not RAW because Instant Counters are supposed to only affect you, but I tend to bend the rules for things like saving NPCs ).

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Re-rolling the Deflect

(1d20+6)[7] (+10 on 16 or less)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    Yeah pretty much any standard or move action would trigger the attack.

The Instant Counter I'd allow (technically it's not RAW because Instant Counters are supposed to only affect you, but I tend to bend the rules for things like saving NPCs ).
    Alright, Spending a HP and rolling for Instant Counter to laser his arm and spoil his aim. Roll: (1d20+14)[17]. Simon should be at 3 HP now.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

What are you Countering with? Remember that Counters are opposed rank checks (it looks like you're making an attack roll there?)

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide