New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of Millaine IC 2 - Coming Soon to a Theater Near You!

Sean landed just in time to see Beth punch the demon in the face, and he couldn't help but grin a little. The grin faded as Maestro's message reverberated through his mind, and as Emily ran towards Beth, he looked towards the one remaining demon, eyes narrowed. "We don't have time for this," he growled at it, and sprang - after all, Beth had just demonstrated quite excellently that this particular demon had something of a glass jaw, so he didn't see any reason to waste the opportunity.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move: Close with the demon.
    Standard: Rending Pounce on the demon, all-out/power attacking for 5: (1d20+8)[26]. On a hit, DC34 Toughness vs damage and DC29 Fort vs Cumulative Vulnerable+Dazed/Prone+Stunned/Incapacitated. Not sure if the Cumulative thing would mean it stacks with Beth's attack or not.

"Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

2. - Top - End - #962
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

~Wait. What?~

Declan had long given up trying, if he ever did, to fathom how Maestro could reach certain conclusions. He didn't doubt he was right, of course, but sometimes they really seemed to come out of left field. Like this time.

~Well, whatever. See you there.~

"Uh...thanks." he then said when Sean arrived and took out the remaining demon. "Are you ok?" he asked Beth, swinging his Stunhammer down to actually banish the creature.

Show
    If I have to roll...it's an AOPA auto crit at (1d20+12)[14], Toughness DC 37. It's ok because I needed a 10, but the dice really hates me today.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2018-04-21 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Typos.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Senator Pawlitzki...?

This fellow fascinated Sebastian. So much work to do, so much happening in his life, that he could barely even show up for Hero work even as much as he cared about it. Now, today, he saw just how much was going on in that unusual brain, and exactly what happened when it was all turned onto a single task. "Gotta wrap this up."

Turning back to the injured monster, Bastion noted that both he and Kay were unfazed by its attack (he was pretty sure some plates were on fire but problems for later) and shook his head.

"You're the only one that's been able to disappoint me today," he growled.

The Bastion opened fire with another volley of rounds, hopefully enough to send the thing back to wherever it came from.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Demoralize Demon 1 at (1d20+17)[21].
    Standard Action: Autoguns again, Power Attack 4. Attack (1d20+12)[15] for DC 27+Multiattack Damage.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Waterworks smiles at Suzanne's offer. "Thanks, Suzanne. No matter what happens, I'll let you know before I go after him." She turns her smile to Lucas, then, as he begins working to help everyone around him to stay safe.

When Maestro sends out the information over the mental link, Waterworks' smile becomes sharper, more predatory. Finally. She blinks, guiltily hoping that that particular thought didn't bleed out over the mental link; she doesn't want to accidentally belittle Maestro's intelligence, after all. Got it. I'm done with the Demons of Diversionary Tactics where I am; heading to Salenseal Island now to scope things out. She turns to Lucas, Jep, and Suzanne. "Maestro figured out what's going on, and I'm going to meet up with the rest and deal with it. Stay safe here; there may be a few more demons around before we finish up with this." A watery appendage reaches to one side and touches on a fire hydrant, and a second later Waterworks is gone.

--

On the northernmost beach of Salenseal Island, the Istaline river flows slightly farther up the beach than usual for just a moment before settling down again.

Show
    Free Action: Switch to Follow the Current.

Move Action: Use Follow the Current to jump to the northernmost edge of Salenseal Island.

Stealth: (1d20+22)[23]
    Perception: (1d20+12)[22]
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #965
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro can't help but smile at Luisa and her siblings' display of raw tenacity and self-sacrifice. At a time long ago, such actions would mean nothing. They would simply have been a product of their programs levying risk. But not anymore. Now the Nyms stood of their own free will. Their minds and hearts were theirs to command, and in doing so, they commanded themselves to stay, despite all dangers, risks, and possible chances for injury. Maestro had never considered himself a teacher. But in this moment he could swear, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he understood with perfect yet simple clarity exactly what such selfless folk felt like when they watched the seeds they have planted in others bear fruit to feed the waiting world.

"Stay safe, the lot of you. Robotic or not, you're still just as mortal as anyone else." Maestro nodded, his heart on his sleeve when it came to the trio before him. He looks Luisa dead in the eye, his expression hardening, despite his smile. "Politely go and kick some ass, dear. Because I'll eat my left shoe before I let these angry daydreams leave before they realize exactly how rude it is to arrive in announced to someone else's property." He jokes, not needing to say more, nor elicit any further promises. The two had done this song and dance before, and by now, his words were implicit. Words that said he would come home safe, without an ounce of a need to worry. Which hung freely in the air, even as the genius young man vanishes in a rapid gust of pressure-shift winds.

Maestro arrived on the scene mere moments later, floating casually above Salenseal Isle, surveying the land on all technological channels in search of the attacks true hidden purpose.

Show
    Free Action: Switch to Hyperkinetic Flight.

Free Action: Modulation-activate Comprehend (Machines)

Move Action: WHOOSH!

Standard Action: Routine Technology 30 to scan the local surveillance footage of the island and/or locate Senator Pawlitzki.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

Round 5

Sean and Declan

Show
    I'mma just assume Maestro's message went out to most of the city's primary defenders, as much to let them know the Heroes would be occupied for a bit as anything else.

The demon went down under Sean's attack, and vanished to the aether from Declan's final swing. Emily kept up the healing, and Beth nodded to Declan. "I'm fine," she said stoically, though she draped a grateful arm over Emily's shoulders as she said so. She looked to Sean with a kinda lopsided grin. "Uh, trade ya, I guess."

Emily nodded, a serious look on her face. "Go. We'll be okay."

Bastion

Bastion's autoguns blew the demon apart.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!" Murderblade cried out like a bereaved parent, as his kill was stolen.

One left. There was one demon left on the battlefield. He was Murderblade! He would not go 0 for 3! He would-

"GLANDIIR!" the demon cried triumphantly, the second Power Word crashing down on Murderblade. His mind already battered by the previous Power Word, his confidence damaged by his failure to score a kill, his spirit fallen from his inability to use his sword, Murderblade reached down into the dregs of his willpower for the strength to fend off the attack - and found nothing left.

The right lens of his sunglasses cracked and fell out under the force of the demon's shout, and the once-mighty Murderblade dropped like a stone, blood pouring from his face.

It was about then that Maestro's message came in. And Kay practically froze.

She knew what it meant, what it had to mean. And in that moment, she almost did it. Murderblade was down, maybe even dying. The thought of facing one of these monsters on her own terrified her almost as much as the thought of what she might have to do to win such a fight. They said that a Dreamer's power upon Awakening usually vastly exceeded that which they would display later, they couldn't just turn it on and off like a switch. And yet...Kay wasn't sure. She embodied the very concept of space. An entire universe slept in her spirit. If she needed to call upon its full majesty, would it not answer? And if it did...what would that mean for everyone around her?

In that moment after Maestro's message reverberated across Millaine, Kay almost begged for Bastion to stay.

Almost.

But if people died because she had been too scared to let Bastion do his job...

"I'll keep him safe," she promised, lifting silently and gracefully into the air as gravity ceased to apply to her, and floating down between the remaining demon and the fallen Hero(?). "You don't belong in this world," she had the extra-planar monster know.

Light, brilliant blue and vibrant green, flared up in her eyes and hands, as Kay reached out not to the blazing sun or glowing moon, the shining stars or empty void, or even the bonds of gravity binding them altogether. She reached out to the nearest celestial object there was - the very planet on which she stood. "AND IT WANTS YOU OUT!" she cried, hurling a blast of terrestrial power at the demon even as she raised a solid barrier of verdant energy over the fallen Murderblade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Demon 2:
    Move: Nah.
    Standard: Power Word on Murderblade. Rolled in OOC.

Kay:
    Free: Swap to Embody the Bonds.
    Move: Between Murderblade and Demon 2.
    Standard: Invoke the Worlds, attacking Demon 2 and Power Attacking for 2 at (1d20+8)[16]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+11)[31]) DC 27 vs. Damage. Murderblade is surrounded by a Toughness 10 barrier which is Deflected at 1d10+20 for the next two rounds. You know, I asked the dice if they had one more 20 in them today. But I was hoping they'd give it to Kay.

Bastion is on turn

Waterworks and Maestro

There didn't seem to be much happening on the streets of Salenseal Island, but maybe a second after the two arrived, from what sounded more-or-less like the direction of Pawlitzki's house (which Waterworks would probably know from Well Informed and Maestro from Expertise Local) there came the sound of heavy gunfire, several military-grade autorifles firing on full auto.

And about a second and a half after the shooting began, it suddenly and abruptly stopped.

Senators were protected by the Senatorial Guard. These guys knew their job. In a straight-up comparison, the main difference between a Senatorial Guard and a SIDE agent was that the former's toys were slightly less cool (although they still packed military-grade weaponry). So, they weren't Hero-level by any means, but they weren't pushovers either. Now, a normal Senator might travel with only a pair of guards. Maybe four if they were especially security conscious. And they might have another four keeping watch on their home and family. But Pawlitzki lived in Millaine and had three teenaged children. And, although she was a fairly powerful Dreamer herself...well, she was also a former FIRE-SIDE agent. And after the events of the past year...yeah, she had quite wisely decided she wanted some extra protection on her home, especially since the assassination attempt on a guy who lived three blocks down from her. So it should come as little surprise that, counting her own personal protection detail, there were a full sixteen Senatorial Guards defending her house.

And by the sounds of it, her attackers had just gone through them faster than the Maelstrom could tear through sixteen drunken mall cops.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-04-24 at 01:34 AM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

"Be careful," Sean said quietly to Emily. He trusted Beth to stop her from doing anything silly - or for that matter, from outright getting between Emily and potential danger if she had to (it wouldn't have been the first time) - but that didn't change the fact that when every single invader was capable and willing of hurling fire at any attackers, Sean was very reluctant to leave her behind.

After a moment, he reached out a hand for Declan to take and then leapt away towards Salenseal Island.

Show
    So apparently it's a free action to pick up a willing (as opposed to unresisting) target even without a benefit for it, which is handy, so...

Free: Pick up Declan.
    Move: Fly to the appropriate part of Salenseal Island.
    Standard: To be decided when I get there I guess?

8. - Top - End - #968
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"You too." Declan said to Beth, following up on Sean's words. "Punch the hell out of them." he then added with a grin, before grabbing his teammate's hand.

"Let's go save a Senator."

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Yes. You will."

Bastion flicked an arm over and delivered a final volley of bullets onto the last demon. Then, he turned to go.

"I am proud of you, Kay."

With that he took off, blasting into the sky and away to meet up with his other teammates.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Lol, take a little potshot at Demon 2 with Explosive Rounds. Attack (1d20+12)[19] for DC 27 Toughness Damage, Secondary Effect.
    Move Action: Blast off! Either to get a birds-eye view on the Senator's house if I know where it is, or just to meet up with Maestro and Waterworks.

Status: 2 Bruises, fired one last Deflect there but Kay won't receive it.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Waterworks clamps down at the surge of excitement from the obvious display of power from her enemies, focusing instead on the worry for Senator Pawlitzki and her children. In moments, she is back in the Istaline, and seconds later she is pouring out of the sink in one of the Pawlitzki household's bathrooms (or as near there as possible, if the house has a projection blocker), searching around for her foe.

Show
    Follow the Current to the Senator's house.

Stealth: (1d20+22)[37]
    Perception: (1d20+12)[20]

Holding my Standard Action until I know what I'm supposed to hit.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #971
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro didn't wait for the gunfire to stop before surging forwards. He was never a man for stealth, personally, and in this moment, he would very much prefer the fire be directed at him. Whatever was coming for the Senator, it was on a level that few Heroes could handle, much less a retired FIRE-SIDE agent and her kids. Throwing caution to the wind, Maestro flew straight towards the Senator's abode, surveying it as best he could with his powers as he made a beeline for it, whilst also readying himself to fight back against whatever was assaulting the Senator's abode.

Show
    Free Action: Switch to Hyperkinetic Strike.

Free Action: Activate Telepathic Perception in full, try to scan the area of the Senator's house if able.

Free Action (Multitasker, ain't he?): Modulate in two ranks of Telepathic Communication: Adding in Subtle 2, just in case.

Move Action: Platform Flight 8 to land as close to/into the building as possible.

Standard Action: Hold to Counter any overt attack against him or allies with Hyperkinetic Strike.
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2018-04-29 at 09:59 PM.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

He couldn't miss Maestro flying past, and Bastion was quick to fly after him, following him straight into the fray.

"Good to see you, Officer Mentallo!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Use whatever's left of my move to go along with Maestro.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

The Heroes converged on Senator Pawlitzki's manor. There should have been a projection blocker, that was a standard security measure for Senators' homes, but Waterworks had no trouble teleporting in, indicating that it, and likely the rest of the home's security system, had been disabled.

The security team certainly had; sixteen Senatorial guards were lying unconscious (but breathing) on the ground outside, and the door was blasted off its hinges.

Senator Pawlitzki was in the main room, blessedly alone aside from her attackers (although Maestro could sense the young minds of three children, as well as two other adults, further in the house...so, you know, the building's structural integrity may have been a pit of a priority). The Senator's belt was fully activated, as was her power; she appeared to be composed of solid metal. And, now, don't get me wrong here. Pawlitzki's power was no minor talent. Maestro could tell with a glance that her belt emphasized deflection and suppression technology, foregoing a standard forcefield entirely because she frankly had no particular need for one. Rumor was that her metal form was every bit as invulnerable as the Unbreakable himself! Or, well, at least as invulnerable as he had been back before Millaine had had things like giant monkeys with laser eyes to deal with. To be fair, Declan was probably tougher these days. Still, not exactly easy to punch through.

That being said, the force arrayed against her was...suitably robust.

There weren't two of them. There were five of them. Each one equipped with a sleek suit of differently-colored powered armor, and each one carrying some sort of rune-covered, glowing sword. They were in a wedge formation facing Pawlitzki. The one at the tip was in green armor and carrying a claymore. The next two were in red and pink armor, and wielding a short sword and a slender rapier respectively. The final two were in blue and purple, and wielding a long sword and a scimitar. When the Heroes entered, the two at the back spun to face them.

"Not worth it Heroes. We're prepared for you, and even if you can beat us the Gate will rupture if we're not able to maintain the magic and powers stabilizing it. It'll blow half of Millaine into the Void and release a couple thousand demons on whatever's left. Your city needs you, and it isn't worth her life."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bests enemy Perception to see if they spot Waterworks, boosted by Team Check (DC 37): (1d20+25)[26]. lol

Spoiler: Sean, except Maestro's there so let's be honest probably everyone
    Show
    Spoiler: Detect Physical and Emotional State
    Show
    It's kinda weird. You can spell from the oxygenation in their lungs and bloodstreams that their hearts are beating very quickly, but they are breathing very slowly. The electrochemical receptors of their nerves seem especially heightened, and just in general their biological processes seem to be kinda running at the top of their game, but without any sort of...jitteriness or anything. It is distinctly different than what you smelled from the Zen Ragers - they don't have any rage behind it, nor an enforced calm. It's more like a hyper-energized clarity. There's also no chemical scent.

In terms of actual status and emotions, they're all in perfect health and to varying degrees anxious. Your guys' arrival definitely spiked their anxiety...but at the same time, at least a few of them are feeling a sort of confident curiosity.

Spoiler: Sherlock Scan
    Show
    You get the sense that all of them are under some sort of Dreamer power or Spiritual Energy augmentation, explaining the heightened energy and racing biological processes. But they're also under the influence of some sort of skill augmentation, explaining the increased neural and nervous activity and heightened sense of calm clarity.
    And judging by various scent markers, you're pretty sure the one in green is the one who provided the skill boosts, the one in pink the power boosts, the one in blue constructed the powered armor, and the one in purple enchanted the swords. These scent markers have been on them for a while; these are probably persistent effects, created carefully and precisely over time.
    They might be suppressible, but they probably won't just dissipate entirely to a single countering power. Likewise, they don't seem to be exerting any effort to maintain them. ((They're part of their base sheets, not Affects Others augments, and could very well stack with augmenting powers.))

Spoiler: Assessment DC 16
    Show
    At their base, all of them are PL 10. However, due to the synergy of the various power ups they've placed on themselves and each other, they currently enter combat at PL 14.

Spoiler: DC 21
    Show
    Red has no tradeoffs, Pink has a two-point Fortitude shift, Blue has a two-point Will shift, Purple has a two-point Toughness shift, and Green has a two-point Defense shift.

The Dreamer Power Augmentation is responsible for their boosted Effect ranks; the Powered Armor for their boosted Toughness, Fortitude, and Will; the Skill Augmentation for their boosted Defense and Attack bonuses. The magic weapons are supplementing, but not directly tied to their stats specifically.

Spoiler: DC 26
    Show
    All stats are at PL.

Show
    They aren't pressing an immediate attack, but they also aren't surprised or off their guard; you can interact if you want, or if you want to jump straight to the attack roll initiative. Waterworks, if you're not detected and since you were able to teleport in you can come at them from a different angle and thereby take a surprise round if you attack immediately. If you don't attack immediately you might still be able to take a surprise round when you do attack, but these guys do know how the Heroes of Millaine work so they might be entitled to a further Insight check to negate it if given time to realize Waterworks should be there but isn't.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-04-30 at 01:36 AM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Bastion probably looked more imposing than usual, with his suit appearing to be undamaged, but burnt and charred to a darker black than usual. And...a bit of smoke coming off of the plates. Awesome.

"A Dreamer can be subdued but not incapacitated. Take away the weapons, get a powerful grip on the throat or a sufficiently thick, inflexible fibre applied around...well, the details are not pertinent. Or the hostage could be removed from the house. Stopping you without putting the destruction of the city into motion is a conceivable reality to anybody with a marginal ability for critical thinking. Do you have a second bargaining chip?"

15. - Top - End - #975
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro stopped still in the face of the overwhelming force, extremely cognizant of how the odds were stacked, thanks to Sean. The man sighs, holding his hands forward. "Well, alright then. I suppose you do have quite a bit of leverage. Though, again, my associate has a point: We aren't exactly unfamiliar with exceedingly high stakes." He shrugs, subtly connecting the Mental Link with the Senator and her children, rapidly dispensing communication.

~Are you all alright? Kids, this is Maestro. Don't react, just tell me where you are. Who are the adults with you? We can send the others to come help.~ He explains, trying his best to coordinate, given the circumstances.

He continues speaking to the armoured warriors, seemingly not missing a beat. "Of course, if you want us to back off of our job, perhaps you could do us the kindness of explaining why? The lot of you seem rather well-trained and well-connected. The plights of mere political bureaucracy seem a touch beneath your notice or care, at least at face value. Care to elucidate me on why any of this is worth it?" He prods, hoping to elicit a response from the zealous knights, in an effort to best know his enemy before striking them.

All the while, he cast his Mindsense outwards as far as he possibly can in as great a detail as he can muster. Scouring the mental presence of every single, solitary mind in Millaine and beyond, hoping to track down the Imagination Controller. The direct source of all of this madness, and perhaps the exact person they need to strike down to stop it.

Show
    Free Action: Bring Communication down to 1 rank.

Free Action: Give Communication Subtle 2 and Rapid 1 {3 PP}, give Telepathic Perception the remaining dynamic ranks, as well as the 6 ranks of modulation to bring it fully online {6 PP}. Grant Telepathic Perception 5 additional ranks of Extended (Total Extended 6), as well as Detect (Mental Powers) {6 PP}.

Free Action: Routine 30 Persuasion to try and get these goons to start monologuing.

Standard Action: Continue to hold a counter, just in case someone needs saving, or one of these folks makes a move.
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2018-04-30 at 08:52 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

16. - Top - End - #976
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Finding herself in one of the second-floor bathrooms in Senator Pawlitzki's house, it takes Waterworks a few seconds to creep silently to the main room, coming up alongside the colorful group as a milimeter-thin sheen of damp, slipping under and through the carpet without leaving a single spot. She listens with only half an ear to Maestro's question and the group's response; she has already made up her mind.

Maestro, these guys aren't going to listen, and I'm a little past that point myself, she sends over the mental link, silently gathering herself to the left of the five-some of glittering enemies. I'm going to start up the other kind of 'conversation'; if we need to focus on one or the other, let me know after the fireworks start. Senator Pawlitzki, I apologize in advance. Send me any bills later, and I'll do what I can.

"You're wrong."

Mere moments after her words ring through the air, a torrential flood of water bursts out of the floor, raging over the five enemies and against the side wall before surging back into the towering form of the Maelstrom, its rushing flood too large for the confined space. It speaks again... in Waterworks' voice. "Saving one life is worth anything. That's the whole point of the job. I'm not saying that Heroes don't ever have to choose between saving the few and the many. It's a nightmare that no one wants to face.. and it is absolutely a worst. Case. Scenario."

The Maelstrom looms slowly over the group, Waterworks' voice growing harsher as she continues to speak. "In this case? With only your word that other people will die if we do our jobs, asking us to let you KiLl a WomAn and her chIlDrEn? We are FaR fRom a WorsT cAse scenArio. YoU mIgHt be In OnE, though. NoW... GET... OUT!" With the Maelstrom's hissing roar, the water surges forwards again, tearing at the five would-be assassins as the wall explodes behind them from the water pressure.

Show
    Move Action: Shift until I am in a position where I can catch the fivesome in a Cone 2 without catching anyone else.

Free Action: Switch to Storm Front.

Standard Action: Storm Front. the Fivesome needs to make a Dodge DC 22, Toughness DC 27/22 vs. Damage. the Maelstrom is now on the board!

Extra Effort + Hero Point: Tsunami on the Fivesome. Dodge DC 21, Toughness DC 26/21 vs. Damage, Strength or Flight DC 21/16 vs. being thrown.

Hopefully they're Vulnerable, but Uncanny Dodge...

What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #977
    Troll in the Playground

As it turns out, Maestro's power didn't exactly have to look far to find the person he was looking for. He sent the news out across the link, saying as much.

~Red one's the Imagination Controller. Also, she's bluffing through her teeth: The portal will NOT destroy the town if she gets knocked out. Blue one's a super genius. They... Might even be on par with me. But with nothing psychic to speak of. Green one has the power to enhance people's skills with their mind. He's done it to the lot of them, making them better at fighting and...~ Maestro pauses, his mind clicking things into place, and now merely running tabs on its plausibility ~Enhancing the powers of his team. Combine that with the Purple one, who's providing the mental coordination...~ He pauses once more, the thoughts lining up in terms of plausibility. ~And I think our enemy supergenius... May have been geniuses, plural.~

This thought, to any other person, would have been revelatory. A staggering discovery which would leave them exposed to the world for at least a few seconds. For Maestro, the moment came and went in under one. But the problem with working as a Hero was that, time and again, "less than one second" was often the difference between staggering success and crushing defeat.

Or, in this case, a simple discourse between geniuses and a giant water monster busting its way through the building.

~And... All that really matters right now is that they are completely free to get dunked on. So, with that in mind. I suggest we all start dunking!~ He cheers through the mental link, preparing his stratagems and powers in his mental headspace as the fight was set to start full swing.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

The Maelstrom burst into the scene unloading a tremendous blast of water, a massive tidal wave to sweep the opposition aside!

In a movement so eerily coordinated it seemed almost automatic, the five power-armored Dreamers each thrust an arm out to the side, hands out. Faint rippling fields of translucent colored energy could just be seen flickering up around them as the tsunami crashed in, diverting harmlessly around them without so much as budging a one of them. It was...an impressive display of invincibility in the face of the bared might of the Maelstrom.

But it was not a perfect one. The field around the blue suit came a bare fraction of a second later than the others, and wasn't quite up to full strength when the wave hit. It still diverted most of it, but some got through. Not enough to knock the supergenius back, but enough to rattle him some within his protective suit.

They weren't invulnerable. They were merely very, very tough.

"Well, you can't blame a girl for trying," Pink commented with idle disappointment, as the runes on their swords flared up as they began to gather their powers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Waterworks, Bastion, and Declan are on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-05-01 at 01:41 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"I hope you fight better than you lie," the engineer growled at the pink one, a mighty sword slipping out of its arm socket as he stalked towards the man at the front, with the huge stonking claymore. Bastion made a series of cuts and strikes at various elevations, attempting to lock up his attention so that the Maelstrom would get a second chance to strike from behind.

And then, at the last moment, he would kick his enemy in the gut with enough force to send him stumbling backwards, directly into the grip of the encroaching APEX monster...

Waterworks, go, go!

"But only time will tell."

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Demoralize Pink at -5. Intimidation (1d20+17)[29].
    Standard Action: Aid the Maelstrom against Green. Attack (1d20+21)[24]. Area Forcefield activates.

Status: 2 Bruises. Allies in 30 feet Deflected at up to 1d20+18.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

The Maelstrom barely notices that its initial attacks have little effect. They were mere opening probes; any competent opponent would ignore them, as these foes have done.

Well, most of them ignored the attacks...

The Maelstrom whirls, its faceless form still somehow managing to convey a gaze sweeping down towards the person in shiny blue armor. "WeAkNeSs..." It purrs, the sound of a distant wave crashing against a sandy beach.

Focus, Waterworks, deep within, replies calmly. We are not hunting, we are defending our territory. We must give challenge to the head of the group, the front of their formation... and Bastion is beating us to it.

Its attention successfully diverted from the seeming prey, the Maelstrom gives out a furious roar, streams of water crashing towards the man in green and pummeling at the chinks in the armor, worming their way inside to leech every drop of moisture from within.

Show
    Move Action: Nah.

Free Action: Switch to Dessicate.

Standard Action: Dessicate On Green Dude, All-Out Power Attacking for 5. (1d20+15)[22] Crit on 32+. On a hit, Fortitude DC 34/29 vs. Damage/ Fatigued&Vulnerable/Exhausted&Defenseless.

Status: Fatigued, -5 to Active Defenses this turn, Deflected (hopefully).
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2018-05-01 at 07:08 PM.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #981
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Declan used Sean's assesment, and those few moments of respite Maestro's chatter allowed them, to decide whom he could attack more effectively, and when the Maelstrom lashed out he too was ready.

"Take your children and evacuate, Senator!" he shouted as he closed in on Purple, the Stunhammer ready to discharge mind-numbing vibrations upon impact. "We'll hold these TV show ripoff here!"

Show
    Move: Close with Purple.
    Standard: All-out Power (2) attack with Stunning Strike at (1d20+15)[23], Toughness DC 29 vs Damage and Will DC 24 vs Dazed/Stunned/Incapacited.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2018-05-02 at 01:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1

~We're okay. We're in the panic room. Um, it's Mrs. Franklins and Mr. Howarth,~ one of the kids sent back, sounding nervous but not panicked. Whether due to bravery or ignorance, who could say?

~That's our butler and our nanny,~ another one chimed in.

~I appreciate the offer, but I'm their target and you're the primary threat. If they have half a brain if I go they'll chase after me, and if I'm carrying my kids they're exposed. If I try to drop them somewhere that gives these ******** the opportunity to take them for use against me. Just buy me a few seconds!~ Pawlitzki responded to Declan with the calm tactical assessment of a SIDE veteran.

Bastion and the Maelstrom went at Green hard, but Pink suddenly leaped in, shoulder-checking him out of the way. The Maelstrom's tendrils struck true, but she seemed to completely ignore the draining power.

Declan caught Purple full in the face with a heavy blow of the Stunhammer, putting a crack in the armor's helmet and leaving her reeling. He fired a bolt to finish the job, but Pink propelled herself in with a reaction time that rivaled Declan's own, tanking the bolt as fully as she had the Maelstrom's attack.

Pawlitzki took advantage of the opportunity to go clanking off through the door behind her. But seeing as that only led further into the house, the assassins didn't exactly mind the opportunity to not have to split their focus.

Recovering his balance from the Maelstrom's initial blast, Blue observed the Heroes carefully, the gears at work in his mind, the runes on his sword glowing brightly, as he anticipated their next moves and sending instructions to their HUDs through his neural uplink.

Green flicked his sword up before his face in a flourishing gesture, before sweeping it in the direction of the Heroes in a broad arc. A ripple of energy rolled off him, and where it passed over the Heroes, they would begin to have trouble remembering how to use all their various special skills, tech, and powers. "Let's see how well you fight without all your fancy tricks."

Red turned to face Declan, pointing his sword at him in threat. "We summoned an army of demons as a distraction! You don't even want to know what we can do in direct combat!" The diamond colossus was suddenly bombarded with dozens of ideas of...just...all the many, many ways this force could tear he and his friends apart. Now, Declan, of course, would not be intimidated by even the most vivid imaginings. But it wasn't fear that was the concern...it was the dawning realization that those imagined images were starting to feel more and more real.

"So your entire body is made of water, huh?" Pink asked casually as lunged for the Maelstrom with her blade. "Seems like that would make your powers preeeetty important, don't you think?" she asked casually, for the strike wasn't meant to cause physical harm, but rather to sunder her Dreamer powers!

Spoiler
    Show
    Pawlitzki:
    Move: To another room.
    Standard: ???.

Purple:
    Stunned.
    Will to recover (DC 24): (1d20+14)[30]. Recovers

Blue:
    Free: Swap to Neural Uplink.
    Move: Dazed
    Standard: Uncanny Anticipation. Everybody give me Will DC 24 for half (Evasion and other active defense bonuses apply), Will DC 24/17 vs. Impaired+Vulnerable/Disabled+Defenseless. Bad guys are Deflected at 1d10+24, -1 per point of Toughness above 14.

Green:
    Free: Swap to Supreme Mobility.
    Standard: You know, I'm kinda happy that I'm still able to occasionally throw new stuff at you guys, this late in the game. Forget Skills on the Heroes. Everyone give me Dodge DC 24 for half, Will DC 24/17 vs. Progressive Weaken Alternate Power. For each point you fail by, you lose one of your alternate powers, starting from the bottom of your combat array. If all combat alternate powers are removed, move on to the bottom of a different array if any. I only wish Copycat were still here so I could steal one of his mimicked powers per point of failure .

Red:
    Free: Swap to The Only Mind That Matters.
    Standard: Attack Declan with More Powerful Than You Can Imagine. Will DC 24 vs. Weaken All Defenses.

Pink:
    Free: Swap to Power Resistance.
    Move: Into Close range of the Maelstrom.
    Standard: Attack the Maelstrom with Nullify Dreamer Powers at (1d20+14)[21]. On a hit, Will DC (1d20+14)[17] or all Dreamer powers are Nullified. You can recover from this as per an Affliction. And of course if you fail you become a puddle of water I will successfully land this thing on you eventually darn it! Take a Hero Point for the Complication. ...Emphasis on eventually, apparently. Hit, for what it's worth with that Nullify roll. Nope, miss thanks to Deflect minimum. Well it might hit if Bastion gets affected by Blue I suppose, but otherwise msis.

All PCs are on turn
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-05-05 at 02:48 AM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

23. - Top - End - #983
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The onslaught of mental effects on Declan had been...particularly effective. Considering it had been the battle's very first exchange...it didn't bode well.

Still, it didn't matter if his moves were predicted, he had trouble remembering how to use the more advanced functions of the Stunhammer, or the future was bleak: he wasn't going to let himself be taken out without putting up a fight.

"Is this all you have? Weak!" he shouted in defiance, furiously swinging the Stunhammer at Purple with ferocious blows.

Show
    Move: Power up.
    Standard: All-out Power attack Purple with Stunning Strike at (1d20+10)[22], crit on 29+, Toughness DC 32 vs Damage and Will DC 27 vs Cumulative Vulnerable+Dazed/Defenceless+Stunned/Incapacitated.
    EE Standard: Do it again at (1d20+10)[30]. Crit!
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2018-05-05 at 04:58 AM.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Sebastian rolled his eyes as the armored warrior somehow no-sold the Maelstrom's huge attack.

Hey Darla, ever think you and I just aren't meant to be friends?

The grinding sound of his sword sliding back into its hidden sheath was just as frightening as the sound of it coming out, and the now-unarmed Bastion strode towards the fighter that Declan had made such a beating of.

"I am exceedingly impressed," he announced to his fellow Hero. "Perhaps for the first time in a while. Well done."

The power armored fighter struck in for Purple himself with his fists, aiming to get a hand on the throat, punch out the rest of the visor, and then spin around and slide the enemy's scimitar into his own grip before stomping on his ankle and back-kicking him onto the ground. At least, that's what the onboard computer told him was about to happen if he ran Tyrant-Fist Style Disarm Program B5, which is what he was planning on doing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Close with Purple.
    Standard Action: Attack Purple with Computed Tactics, Power Attack 4. Attack (1d20+12)[30] for DC 27 Damage and DC 22+Multiattack Strength against Disarm.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean had barely landed when a tidal wave of water came the other way courtesy of the Maelstrom. "I guess we're fighting then," he remarked with a grin, as the green energy washed over him without any apparent effect. As for the blue soldier...well, his hyper-intelligent analysis gave him a assessment of precisely how dangerous Sean was. Consciously, he no doubt knew that Sean wouldn't kill him, but mere smarts didn't allow you to ignore the fact that there was something very dangerous just a few inches away. "You wanna see what I can do without any tricks?" he asked the green soldier. "Suits me."

A heartbeat later he was in front of the now-swordless purple warrior, slashing once at her armoured helmet and then slammed his other hand into her chest in a motion that would send her flying in the direction of the blue soldier.

Show
    Move: Startle...uh, Blue I think? Whoever the one is who's deflecting people: (1d20+20)[34].
    Standard: Charge Purple with Brutal Throw, all-out attacking for 5. If the Startle succeeds, Power Attack for 5 as well: (1d20+13)[15] (possibly -5). On a hit, DC29/34 Toughness vs damage and DC24/29 Strength or Dodge vs being flung at Blue and so on.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

The Maelstrom freezes as it is struck by the ripple of energy, the massive column of water abruptly collapsing...

Back into Waterworks, unscathed. She doesn't wast time with words, instead sending a blast of watery appendages towards the beleaguered enemy in the purple suit. A moment later, Waterworks has vanished.

Show
    Standard Action: Jet Spray on Purple, All-Out Power Attacking for 5. (1d20+12)[16] On a hit (against Deflect, so ha) Damage DC 32+Multiattack. Will forgo Grab for now.

Move Action: Hide In Plain Sight. Stealth: (1d20+22)[29]

Status: Fatigued, -5 to active Defenses, (hopefully) hidden.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #987
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro downright utterly offended.

Despite all his setbacks, despite ALL his failures (up to and including the WATCH incident), Maestro Mentallo had established one thing, above all else, which he could hold with pride.

No one, but NO ONE, could beat him in a psychic confrontation.

And the fact that these ignorant chuckleheads. These rainbow-assorted poindexters in power armour, thought they could hold a shred of a shadow of a candle to him in an effort to pierce his mind or predict his actions was beyond laughable. It was disgusting.

He looked between Green and Blue with a look akin to a dissappointed grandfather, utterly lost for words in the face of their descendent's ignorance and foolery.

"No. Just... No. None of that. Stop it." He deadpans, before turning to the Purple warrior, whom his friends had just finished laying into.

"As for you..." He motions, pointing straight at her, before lifting his thumb above his index finger, a mock interpretation of a handgun.

"Bang." He states weightily, before dropping the gun's make-believe hammer, and firing a blast of hyper-concentrated photonic energy at her. A blast of light focused to the point where it could melt tungsten and pierce most natural metals. The only hope of defending it being to not be in its way.

Show
    Free Action: Reset Modulation

Free Action: Switch to Psychokinetic Strike

Free Action: Mod in Alternate Resistance [HAD] onto Psychokinetic Strike {10?}.

Move Action: Nah.

Standard Action: Psychokinetic Strike on Purple. DC 25 HAD Save Against Damage.
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2018-05-10 at 12:55 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

Round 2

Purple was ready for Declan's first swing, deftly dodging it, but nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition second swing! The Stunhammer smashed Purple, another stunning blow full in the face that crumpled the front of her helmet and shattered her visor.

Bastion took immediate advantage, coming in hard. Though Purple's wards held off the force of his attacks, he did come out of it with a shiny new weapon!

...Granted, it appeared to be enchanted to serve as a magical focus, so that wasn't super-helpful to him, but whatever! He had it, she didn't, take the win!

Sean rushed Purple, and though Blue was moving to intervene, anticipating the attack, Sean's growl caused him to hesitate just a second too long. But if he wanted to get to his ally, that could certainly be arranged, as Sean threw her right at him, denting her armor some, although Blue caught her gingerly, and quickly pulled the reeling mage out of the way a half-second before Waterworks' tendrils crashed down on her previous position.

Maestro fired a pair of focused beams of kinetic energy, but while Purple herself was reeling, her armor was still in decent shape. A field of rippling deflection pulsed out from the armor, turning the beams away from the mage to punch two clean divots into the wall behind her.

And that's when the noise started.

A very loud noise.

A very familiar noise.

Millaine's own Senator Elizabeth Pawlitzki, former FIRE-SIDE agent, and a woman who both a lot of contacts and a lot of influence in local law enforcement, strode back into the room. And with her was one of Millaine's most stalwart defenders. A Hero who had, due to circumstances outside their own control, been forced to retire from active duty, but who Senator Pawlitzki had made sure would be there when the city they had so long protected needed them most. The very champion who had struck down not only a giant monkey with laser eyes, but who had personally ended the awe-inspiring threat of Id the APEX Brain!

The roaring cacophony of D.A.M.O.C.L.E.S. firing on a full-automatic sweep exploded over the battlefield, music to the ears of any true defender of Millaine!

Blue started racing through some calculations, calling out, "Purple! Snap out of it! The Unbreakable's weakened, he's susceptible to your necromancy! Pink, bomb the other two Dreamers and let's get them out of the way. Green, go ahead and degrade the Senator; she's former FIRE-SIDE, so without all her skills she'll be a lot easier to take down!"

Purple, through sheer force of will, forced herself to focus through the fog in her head, and cast a spell. Necromantic energies assailed Declan, as the injured mage sought to drain his life to heal herself.

Red was an imagination controller; he blurred the line between fantasy and reality, and doing so required a keen understanding of his surroundings. Woe betide the controller of imagination who allowed his own senses to be deceived, and lost clarity of what was true and what was false. He went after Waterworks, slashing at her with a flurry of blows from his short sword. But Waterworks saw him as wielding not just a metal blade, but a sword composed of living lightning!

Pink closed in with Sean and Maestro, thrusting her rapier first at Sean, before coming around in a fluid pirouette to make a dazzling lunge at Maestro's chest. The weapon itself was a concern, of course, but only a limited one; the real threat was that when it struck, all the energy that was running through their Dreamer powers would suddenly detonate within them!

Green went at Pawlitzki, a hewing strike with his claymore. The blade itself was little threat against her metal skin, but its runes flared up to enhance his powers, in an effort to degrade every skill she accumulated in her life!

Spoiler
    Show
    D.A.M.O.C.L.E.S. has entered the battle! Declan take a Hero Point!

Actually take two because I'm buying off Purple's stun so she can at least take an action (though she's still Defenseless).

And we have a map now.

Pawlitzki:
    Move: Into N16.
    Standard: Sweep as a Team Attack. The first PC to hit each opponent with Toughness-resisted Damage gets +2 to their DC. If any given enemy isn't attacked they'll get Dodge DC 22 for half, Toughness DC 27/21 vs. Damage.

Blue:
    Standard: Expert Advice, Multiattacking for 4, -2 for Impaired, +5 for Teamwork, providing a Team Attack against Declan, Sean, Maestro, and Pawlitzki. This attack can Team Attack with Toughness, Fortitude, Will, Defense, Damage, Affliction, and Weaken, but still only one effect at a time. All allies in 30' (which is everyone) are also Deflected at 1d10+24 against those characters only.
    Declan: (1d20+13)[25] Deflected at (1d20+12)[27]. Deflected
    Sean: (1d20+13)[26] Deflected at (1d20+12)[13]. +2
    Maestro: (1d20+13)[26] Deflected at (1d20+15)[18]. +2
    Pawlitzki: (1d20+13)[31]. Still barely just +2

Purple:
    Move: Staggered.
    Free: Swap to Wizardry.
    Standard: Attack Declan with Energy Transference at (1d20+14)[28] Deflected at (1d20+12)[18]. On a hit, Fortitude DC 29+Team Attack/24 vs. Damage Linked Weaken Stamina. If you are damaged at all by this attack, Purple receives rebalanced Healing at (1d20+14)[18]. Hit. DC 29/24. Purple heals a Bruise if Declan fails to resist the Damage (yaay).

Red:
    Move: Into G20.
    Standard: Attack Waterworks with Imaginary Assault at (1d20+14)[33], Deflected at (1d20+15)[25]. On a hit, Toughness DC 29+Multiattack vs. Damage, Fortitude DC 24+Multiattack vs. Weaken Toughness. The Variable Descriptor is set to electricity, but it's imaginary electricity, so instead of worsening the effect directly, it adds Will DC 24+Multiattack vs. Vulnerable/Stunned/Incapacitated to the effects of a successful hit. Take a Hero Point for the Complication. Hit. +2 Multiattack. DC 31/26/26. Nope, Bastion's Deflect is full force on a 10, miss.

Pink:
    Move: Into N22.
    Standard: Attack Sean and Maestro with Powerbomb, Multiattacking for 2. Only Dreamers are subject to this attack. On a hit, Toughness DC 29+Team Attack vs. Damage, Fortitude DC 24 vs. Dazed+Impaired/Stunned+Disabled Linked Weaken All Defenses.
    Sean: (1d20+12)[32], Deflected at (1d20+12)[14]. Crit. DC 36/29
    Maestro: (1d20+12)[24], Deflected at (1d20+12)[16]. Hit. DC 31/24. No I'm dumb Deflected

Green:
    Move: Into N17.
    Standard: Attack Pawlitzki with Degrade Skills at (1d20+14)[32]. On a hit, Fortitude ((1d20+12)[31]) DC 24 vs. Weaken Skills, Will ((1d20+12)[22]) DC 24+Team Attack vs. Cumulative Impaired/Disabled/Transformed. Hit. Impaired.

All PCs are on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-05-10 at 05:24 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean felt the crackling power of the pink soldier's rapier burn him even before it made contact. Thankfully, it never did, as Declan shouldered him out of the way and took the blow in his stead. He gave the diamond sentinel a grateful nod before returning his attention to the armoured duelists. "Oh, shut up," he snarled angrily at Blue, baring sharp teeth at the two - and leapt at Purple in a shoulder-charge that would knock her off her feet for the second time in less than ten seconds, following it up by continuing his motion past her and towards Blue, swiping with his claws in three swift strikes at the strategist's side underarms and then springing past for a jab at the small of his back. Not the easiest-to-target locations, but ones that were generally less well-armoured and relatively plentiful in nerves that would make any impact there extremely painful.

Show
    Move: Do what I should've done last round and demoralise Blue and Purple simultaneously: (1d20+20)[24].
    Standard: Charge into P20 and attack Purple with Weak Point Strike, all-out attacking for 5: (1d20+13)[25]. On a hit, DC31 Toughness vs damage and DC24 Strength or Dodge vs being thrown into Blue at (1d20+15)[32] for DC29 Toughness vs damage. (If I can't hit Blue with both this and my surge below, then this targets Pink instead.)
    Free: Switch to Weak Point Strike.
    Extra Effort: Attack Blue with Weak Point Strike: (1d20+15)[19]. On a hit, DC29/24 Fort vs Damage Linked non-cumulative Weaken Fort.

Last edited by Llyarden; 2018-05-10 at 05:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Ding!

Green's claymore clashed against Purple's 'useless' scimitar, fast and deadly in the hands of the Bastion.

"Stay away from her," he roared, flying into a sword-and-fist combination that, defying all odds, could hopefully end with him holding another stolen weapon. With a scimitar in one hand and with or without a Claymore in the other, he stalked away to rejoin the rest of the battle.

"And you!" He respectfully lowered his gaze onto Pawlitzki as he walked away.

"Be careful with that."

And then he was in the ring with Purple, Blue, and Sean, blasting in with the full might of his thrusters and his boosted strength to aid his comrade's manoeuvre against the two enemies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Interposing for Pawlitzki, half-Immunity means Will is Resisted.

Move Action: Demoralize Green (1d20+17)[20].
    Standard Action: Attack Green with Computed Tactics and Power Attack 2 at (1d20+14)[18] for DC 27 Damage and DC 20+Multiattack Strength or be Disarmed. Deflect activates.
    Free Action: Switch to Thrust and Shield.
    Extra Effort - Surge Action: Charge Purple, Aid Sean's attack at (1d20+17)[31].

Last edited by manwithaplan; 2018-05-10 at 09:13 PM.