New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of Millaine IC 2 - Coming Soon to a Theater Near You!

Maestro's eyes perked up at Amelia's statement. Now, the young man was no stranger to economic advice. Many businessmen had gotten the lofty idea in their head that they somehow had something worth adding to the conversation when it came to the myriad lightspeed thought patterns of the young psychokinetic genius as he made the hundreds of thousands of calculated moves that lead him to the grand business venture that is Mentallo Industries. Understandably, most of these pieces of advice had been remarkably redundant to him, what with the whole "super-genius from before he reached double digits" thing. However, the business advice made by the hyper-analyst had him remarkably intrigued.

"Oh, really?" Maestro asked with legitimate interest, avoiding the obvious question of who "they" are exactly. "And what do you all think would be best for me to do after acquiring it? I'm always for advancing modern science, but I'd like to know exactly what this acquisition would accomplish. Do you know something I don't?" For the first time in a long time, Maestro asked that question without a hint of irony in his voice. Whatever was going on, it was, at the moment, doing so high above his head.

Maestro was aiming to change that.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Waterworks... is a little distracted, truth be told. Sure, hanging out with Lucas is always great, and seeing the movie finally start filming is awesome; she just has other things on her mind. Her powers keep on expanding on her, and she's beginning to wonder if it is the effect of the Maelstrom, or simply the natural growth of her abilities. This newest fluctuation... it's weird, but also kind of fun. She isn't sure why she hasn't told anyone about it yet; it's nice to have a secret from everybody... one that probably wouldn't threaten the coastline of Ilessia, this time around. When Jep (dramatically) announces his plans to leave and (dramatically) attempts to storm out the door, Waterworks is content to let Lucas handle things, watching from the sidelines and idly munching on a chocolate-frosted confection. Then Jep makes a not-so-subtle threat to Lucas.

"Okay now." Waterworks flows smoothly in between Jep and Lucas, facing the telekinetic squarely. "I don't expect you to praise Lucas and Suzanne for their actions; you've made your particular stance on saving my life perfectly clear thank you. I do expect you to show some measure of courtesy towards your director, however; or has Lucas not been polite at all times? Did he give you any reason, by his direction and his professional relationship with you, to threaten him, or to show hostility at all? No? Well then," she states, and her voice grows hard. "Back down, Jep. Or I will make you."

She lets her comment sink in for a moment, and then continues. "As Lucas was no doubt saying before you interrupted, it is highly unlikely that Haptarus has any idea who Lucas and Suzanne are. SIDE has kept their role in the rescue mission secret for precisely the concerns you stated. In any case, all of those various events you commented on have one thing in common; the people attacking were after the Heroes of Millaine. I'm sorry, but they don't really care about you." She forces herself to soften her voice. "If you think my presence on the movie set puts your life in jeopardy, say so, and I'll limit my time here." She glances back at Lucas, giving him and "I'm sorry" face before turning back to Jep. "I may not be the most theatrical of people, but I think you make a pretty good Maestro. I'd rather not lose your work over worrying."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Persuasion (Lucas, please aid?): (1d20+6)[8]
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Declan had waited for years the day when Defiants could be stopped before there were innocent victims. After Avis' proposal, he had been looking forward to it even more.

In the end, that day had finally come. After recieving the call, he hastily ended the training session saying that something had come up and headed straight for the pickup point.

---

Once the chopper landed Declan stepped out and took a couple of minutes to get used to the power armour, before turning his attention to the sounds in the distance.

Explosions? Are they practicing suicide bombing?

He snickered.

Wish they were that stupid...well, let's go. I'm coming, f******.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

After the third nightmare, Wilson had had the forethought to phone around his friends to warn them that they might have their sleep disturbed and to apologise in advance. Luckily most of them had had saint-like levels of patience thus far, though he was glad that none of the ACC - for instance - had been out working when he'd phoned.

He was halfway up the stairs, born on a cloud of nanites, when the remainder of his thoughts caught up with him and observed that it wasn't a scream of panic. He didn't slow down that much, though - the shout was different to how Sarah sounded when she'd woken up from one of her nightmares, which meant it was something out of the ordinary. "Sarah?" He pushed the door of her room open. "What is it?"

Show
    I'm honestly unsure what to post for Sean at the moment, so I'll just...leave things as they are, I suppose.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Copycat

Psycat got nothing from the Lucaslike...but the intrusion did not go unnoticed. It looked up sharply, swiftly scanning the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you wish to remain undetected, roll Stealth against DC (1d20+10)[26]. Roll once, but use the lower of Copycat or Psycat's Stealth bonuses. This Perception check includes a fairly-arbitrary -10 penalty for distance, but also a +5 circumstance bonus because of its Mental Quickness - it would be able to recognize you and to study the features of each person it sees, so you kinda have to duck into hasty cover to actually escape detection. Likewise, since you're being rushed here, you can't Routine the check. This counts as an off-turn Reaction for purposes of other actions.

If you don't want to remain undetected, well, let the good times roll.

Maestro

"Oh, you know, the usual. Set up development, marketing, publicizing," she gave a dismissive gesture, quite cognizant that she didn't need to tell Maestro how to do his job. "It's not so much that we know something you don't, just that we are keenly aware that a product like this will almost certainly do better on the market if it is being produced by Mentallo Industries than if it is being produced by SilaVision. And that it, and SilaVision as a whole, is exactly the sort of company that Mentallo Industries should be looking to acquire. Cutting edge, independent, reputable, and with a proven record of developing products that are of benefit to the masses."

"See Maestro, the reason I wanted to start working with you is because my associates and I...we see something in your company, a vision I would hope that you share and that I believe will be of great benefit for Ilessia if you were to reach. To put it simply, we would like people to say 'Mentallo Industries' in much the same way they currently say 'IDEA'. Except, you know, without all the...baggage that the Institute had accumulated over the past century."

Waterworks

Lucas didn't visibly respond to your intervention, but you could feel a gentle sensation of gratitude radiating out from his mind to yours. When you made Jep the offer of minimizing your presence, though, he sent, ~No. This movie is as much your project as mine. I'd prefer not to lose Jep either, especially at this stage, but as far as I am concerned, you are more valuable to this production than he is.~

Outwardly, he said, "I am sure no one needs to abandon the project. Jep, please, let's just talk about this for a bit. I think we can all safely say that no Haptaran kill squad is going to descend upon us immediately, right?"

(No one was probably paying much attention, but Suzanne gave Lucas a disbelieving look as he said that out loud, and the air in the room got a touch colder as she manifested her ice armor.)

Jep, for his part, hardly seemed convinced, but he did relax his posture, and dismiss his telekinetic hand. He may have been arrogant, but he certainly wasn't about to tangle with Waterworks! "Your presence is not the problem," Jep answered you firmly...but not quite as coldly as previously. Beneath his typically haughty tone, there was a sincere note of concern. "The problem is the effect that you and your fellow Heroes are having on the people involved in this production, Lucas and Suzanne in particular. Let me see if I have the whole list right. Lucas was shot. Both of them were nearly killed by some sort of shockwave thing. Suzanne almost died a second time fighting robots with Copycat. Lucas was struck unconscious and, again, nearly killed by a Haptaran hit squad. And despite all this, both of them charged senselessly into battle against Arch only knows what to come to your rescue because, as best as I can discern, the fact that they are making a movie about you makes them think they are in a movie!"

"They are not Heroes, Miss Sanders. They are not warriors. They are entertainers. And they are going to die if they continue to pretend otherwise. However, as neither seems to recognize when their actions threaten their lives, it seems the only option is to ensure their actions threaten their movie."

He turned to face Lucas. "You want to keep me on? Convince me that this movie's director and lead actress will survive to film it!"

Declan

It only took a few minutes to reach the camp, and observe it from give-or-take a hundred feet away. There were about a score of people outside. There weren't any signs of explosives that you could see. There were six log cabins in the area, and one much larger but similarly constructed building. There might have been other hostiles within.

Looking upon the camp, you might have recalled the Defiant attack on the ACC, where the Defiant had took punishment far in excess of what they should have been able to physically endure, unless put down with lethal force. It was clear how they got it. They were...well, it was hard to call it anything other than torturing the other third of them. One trio were mercilessly physically pounding on a fourth individual. Off a ways, one recruit was scalding another with a lit torch. Two of them were exchanging cuts with knives in increasingly sensitive places.

None of them screamed, or shouted, or made any noise louder than a sharp grunt. Most of them looked to be in their early twenties, or younger.

They all had weapons at hand - one might have wondered how they managed to resist the urge to pull them out and fire them upon the recruits assaulting them. Nothing that looked even vaguely capable of harming you of course, and none of them had the weapons actually drawn. One individual in a light suit of powered armor was watching passively and occasionally calling orders. You didn't really have the technical knowledge to be sure, but the armor looked smaller and lighter than even the suit you had been furnished with.

Their chance of threatening you even slightly was virtually nil...but then, that was how it should be. You were the Unbreakable, after all, and while these Defiant-in-training may have been nothing to you, their weapons and their fanaticism and their hatred could be absolutely lethal to less powerful Dreamers...and anyone else caught in the crossfire (and/or blast radius).

Wilson

You throw open the door to your daughter's room to come face to face with a big, fierce-looking, and, oh, yes, glowing wolf. It...actually, it looked exactly like Moro, except for the glowing. Other than her eyes sometimes, Moro definitely didn't glow.

"Moro's here!" Sarah said, the shock in her voice replaced by delight as she hugged the wolf around the neck, the smile on her face every bit as bright...as the glow in her eyes.

"Moro" regarded you stoically, showing neither hostility nor affection, although she did wag her tail when Sarah hugged her.

Spoiler: Sean
    Show
    With your tracking abilities, following Declan is relatively trivial. You and Beth can see the campsite, but it's too far away (you're give-or-take 250' from the camp, 150' from Declan) for you to really make out many details visually.

Your enhanced sense of smell, however, is keen enough to pick up some details. There's something like a score of people outside, all of them carrying guns and one of them in a suit of powered armor. Several of them are in some manner of physical distress, but it's mostly painful rather than really debilitating. There's surprisingly little emotion considering that - some piques of anger or fear, but they're largely being controlled through extensive discipline.

Beth leans in and whispers, "What's he doing? What is this place?"
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Thanks, Lucas. I'm not sure how much... professional help I am at this stage, though, She sends back, before her mental voice gains a bit of wry humor. Besides, do you really think I'd stay off the set? I haven't had a good stealth mission in months!

Waterworks looks... slightly pained when Jep calls Suzanne the movie's "lead actress". She loves Suzanne and thinks she's a fantastic actress, but she'd been fighting to keep her role fairly limited within the movie so as not to steal it from her teammates. We still need to talk about how big Waterworks is in this movie, she sends to Lucas, albeit halfheartedly. She's pretty sure she's lost that fight.

"All right, Jep. Here's why Lucas and Suzanne will be surviving this production, and many more to come. One: everything you said before? They survived all of that. They did so because they were talented and smart about what they were doing. Even in the rescue attempt..." She shoots Lucas another look, "Though I personally don't like that they put themselves into danger that way either... they did so with powerful allies, through a side area not being defended by the main forces, and while a rather large distraction was going on. They have proven that they know their limits in dangerous situations, and work within those limits.

"Two. Their 'senseless charge into battle' was an extreme circumstance. They don't seek out fights, like... well, like I do in my job as a Hero. In every circumstance except the last one, the attack came to them, not the other way around. In the last case, they were protecting people they care about. As much as I don't like Lucas putting himself into danger, I wouldn't ever criticize him for following their Heart."
    Unless Jep is a Deionist, he might miss the capitalization on her final word.

"Three. The Haptaran kill-squads will not be happening again. Two incursions on Illesian soil, within a week and a few miles of each other? Even if you're completely cynical towards the government, the sheer embarrassment of such blatant disregard for border control forces them to step up their efforts. IF Haptarus tries anything like this again, they'll be facing a ticked-off SIDE, whatever military detachments are in the area, and a fully-prepared Heroes of Millaine. They won't move a step towards any of you," She states with a fierce smile. Despite their capture, Waterworks' faith hasn't been shaken: the Heroes of Millaine win. End of story.

"And Four. If, against all odds, something happens to Lucas or Suzanne; if the Recruiter sends his forces, or Haptarus himself drops from the sky to take them away..." Waterworks' smile drops. The next paragraph is stated in a near monotone. Behind her, Lucas can see a few small bubbles ripple up her form, invisible to Jep. "I contact the General Director of Hero Corps. And what we do to Haptarus makes the Ragnarok Arms Ring look like a wave on the sand next to a hurricane. I promise you this, Jep Eldridge; Lucas and Suzanne will live through this filming. It will probably be uneventful. But if it isn't... I will bring Lucas back safe and sound, if I have to cAst doWn HaptaRus oN hIs thRoNe to do so." She turns away abruptly and clears her mind, taking a deep breath.

When she turns back, she's smiling. "It won't come to that, though. Everything will be fine, all right?"

Show
    You don't need to spend any more points in Persuasion this time around, I said... you barely ever use it anyways, I said...

Persuasion: (1d20+6)[16]
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Wilson...kinda blinked once or twice at the giant wolf standing in his daughter's bedroom. And then at his daughter's Dreaming eyes. "Well. Hello, Moro."

This was not how he was expecting this day to go. "How did 'Moro' -" he did his best to not sound sceptical at his daughter's misapprehension "- get in here?"

He figured it was probably best to introduce Sarah slowly to the fact that she could apparently conjure a giant wolf out of thin air.

Show
    Assessment on Dream!Moro: (1d20+10)[22]

Spoiler: Quellian
    Show
    "Oh, ----." Sean looked back to Beth. "This is a Defiant camp. One guess what Declan's going to do."

Sean waited for a moment to let that sink in and then, unless Beth moved to stop him, sprang forwards to catch up with the armoured Declan.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Under the helmet, Declan grimaced in disgust. A little part of him was actually impressed by the guts their dedication, but it was that very same dedication that prompted his reaction: what sort of indoctrination were the Defiants doing to persuade all those youths to go through what basically amounted to torture? And all of that just to kill innocents?

He clenched his fist. Images flashed through his mind, as his hatred flared up: Defiants mercilessly firing on unarmed civilians; the bloodied bodies of his parents, unconscious on the floor of the mall; a wounded Beth unsteadily getting back on her feet in the center of the smoking crater.

No more would he stand idle. No more would he let them get what they wanted.

No more.

Let the fireworks begin.

The sound of a missile being fired echoed in the woods.

Show
    Rocket Launcher on the armoured person and as much other Defiants as possible. 30' burst, Dodge DC 20, Toughness DC 25/25 vs Lethal Damage.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro looks at Amelia with a mix of wonder and thanks, before a massive grin spreads across his face. "Amelia, you couldn't be singing my tune better if you were shouting it from the rooftops. Consider it done. If there is anything I can do to ensure a better, brighter future for Aranth, you have me all the way. And if that future happens to have my initials stamped upon it... Well, who am I to complain?"
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Damn. Come on!"

Copycat sprinted for the edge of the building and jumped from the side, Psycat following suit. Only, while the master moved down the wall and came to a stop in the midst of the carpark, his servant sailed over him and flew directly into combat, aiming to nail this surely-Summon into the ground with an airborne drop kick.

"Who are you, and for what reason are you here?"

A few feet back, Thomas stood and watched, perhaps praying that this was the right guy.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Psycat
    Move Action: Get adjacent to Lucaslike.
    Standard Action: Unarmed Attack with All-Out Attack 5. Attack (1d20+16)[18] for DC 26 Damage.

Copycat
    Move Action: Move into the carpark, 90 feet away from this engagement.
    Standard Action: Recover from Fatigued.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Waterworks

~As the only female member of the primary cast, Suzanne is the leading actress by default,~ Lucas responded simply.

(That's his story and he's sticking to it.)

The drop in temperature at Jep's words was clearly discernible, but (probably fortunately), you managed to get your response out before Suzanne could make a less-than-diplomatic retort. "Darn right!" she chimed in proudly.

"That...is all well and good, but the fact remains that when dangerous situations come up - which, yes, seems to happen inordinately frequently in Millaine - they have consistently tried to involve themselves when they should be working to immediately remove themselves from danger. Yes, they've handled it so far, and that's good. But all I am asking is for them to stop playing Heroes and putting their lives at risk. I do not think that is too much to ask, and neither do I think it makes me a bad person for asking it."

"I have no intention of leaping into danger unnecessarily," Lucas said calmly. "What you must understand Jep, is that my power affords me a certain easy understanding of developing tactical situations. In certain specific cases, there is something that I am capable of doing to provide assistance. When the Recruiter attacked, yes, I delayed my own retreat so as to enter an alert into the Hero App, to ensure all of the Heroes were aware of and able to reach the situation. In that particular circumstance, I deemed the risk of a few seconds delay acceptable against the benefit of getting the message out immediately. But you may rest assured, I am fully aware that a modestly superhuman tactical mind and the 'experience' of having directed several dozen choreographed fight scenes does not make me a serious threat to powerful Dreamers and military forces."

"In other words, we're not cowards who run away as soon as things get dangerous. We see if we can help first!" Suzanne said. "I mean, like Darla said. I don't go out looking for trouble, but let's be real here. I'm basically Hero-level at this point. I could probably take any member of Tom's Gooncat Squad in a fair fight as long as they didn't have a power that specifically countered mine. If you actually give a crap about our safety...fine. Thanks for that. But don't go trying to justify your cowardice by telling us that we're the ones who are reacting wrong to dangerous situations!"

Wilson

Spoiler: Assessment Results
    Show
    Gahhh I haven't statted Dreamer!Sarah yet! Um, uh, let's say PL, uhhh...four. Yeah, let's go with PL 4, no tradeoffs, all stats at PL.

"She just poofed!" Sarah answered, making a little, well, "poof" gesture with her hands.

Declan and Sean

Declan looses the rocket, and it impacts with a tremendous and satisfying kaboom! The power armored Defiant is knocked back a step, its armor dented and scorched, but not damaged too badly. Three of the Defiant who were also caught in the blast can't say the same. With neither cover, armor, nor time to react, they were hit by the full force of professional-grade explosives and blown to pieces.

But the fourth Defiant in the area, well...something happened.

He looked down at his hands in shock. As the blast faded, he was completely unharmed and unmoved, had taken the blast better than even the powered armor did. There was a hard green light shining around his skin.

The new Dreamer looked up in horror, fully cognizant of what had just happened...and where he was when it did.

"SPY!" the power armored Defiant yelled in fury, firing a burst at the newly-manifested Dreamer on full auto. If that didn't bring him down, the new Dreamer would raise his hands in a stopping gesture. "No! Wait, I-" before a bolt of emerald lightning shot from his hands at the armored Defiant.

Other Defiant grabbed their weapons, firing a pretty much completely ineffectual volley of shots at you...and Sean...and Beth.

Oh, yeah, about that.

Just after you had launched the rocket, Sean had come leaping out the woods your way, with Beth following hot on his heels. The powerhouse landed with a booming thump. Her eyes swept the battlefield as people started shooting at the three of you.

One might have expected that, having just seen you casually blow away three people who hadn't been attacking you before, Beth might have been angry, or horrified, or disgusted. One might have expected her to beg you to stop, or yell at you, or maybe even physically try to stop you.

Nope.

Not Beth Cobbler.

Faced with her Hero and her coach and her boyfriend making an unprovoked attack on a bunch of Defiant, Beth pretty much immediately trusted that Declan was here for a reason and leaped unhesitatingly into the battle, coming down on the nearest Defiant with a crushing punch orders of magnitude more powerful than an unarmored, unpowered human could possibly hope to survive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Armored Defiant:
    Move: Nah.
    Standard: Attack New Dreamer with Machine Guns, Power Attacking for 2, at (1d20+6)[20]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+6)[25]) DC 25+Multiattack vs. Damage. Hit with +2 for Multiattack. But this guy's power appears to be Knight 8 Emulation so he's only Bruised. For getting a second consecutive amazing Toughness roll I've just added Regeneration 5 to his made-up statblock in my head. We shall see just how powerful he ends up.

Trainees 5-20:
    Move: Draw weapons.
    Standard: Attack with Automatic Weapons. Eight of them attack Declan uselessly. Four each attack Beth and Sean only slightly less uselessly. (DC 19+Multiattack damage on a hit).
    Sean: (1d20)[5], (1d20)[2], (1d20)[17], (1d20)[14]. So
    Beth: (1d20)[16], (1d20)[2], (1d20)[15], (1d20)[7]. Useless

New Dreamer (if still up):
    Move: None.
    Standard: Attack Armored Defiant with Emerald Lightning at (1d20+4)[7]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+7)[12]) DC 19 vs. Damage, Fortitude ((1d20+8)[16]) DC 14 vs. Vulnerable/Stunned Affliction. Miss

Beth:
    Move: Leap into the battle.
    Standard: Attack Trainee 5 with Staggering Strike, Power Attacking for 4, as a Routine attack for 14. Unless someone Interposes, he can't beat the DC 31 Toughness save even on a 20 and is KILLED!

Maestro

Amelia gave a slender grin. "That's pretty much exactly what I was both hoping and expecting to hear," she said.

"There is one other thing you should probably consider. Kathlyn Street. Now, don't get me wrong, I think what you did for her was extremely kind. Noble, even. And she is absolutely an incredibly valuable asset to Mentallo Industries. It's just...I'm wondering if she really needs to be in as high a position as you have her. Her skills seemed optimized for a more...hands-on role than managerial, it seems to me. And just from a PR perspective...of course, it's not that you can't deal with the scandal surrounding her, but every time she accomplishes something newsworthy you're going to have to deal with that. The talking heads will bring it up, and it will eat into your news cycle, and that's okay at the level you're operating at currently of course, but taking things to the level we're talking about it might be more...problematic. But if she's in a lower ranking position, where someone else's name is attached to her big successes, you don't have to worry about any niggling PR issues, and more of her time is spent on the technical matters that she's best at than the managerial functions that can certainly be handled just as well by someone else, once they're brought up to speed on the ins and outs of her former company."

Copycat

The Lucaslike saw Psycat coming, and stepped casually aside, the dropkick coming down hard enough to leave a small pothole in the street. He struck back with a swift move, a brief exchange of punches followed by a hard shoving strike aimed to set up Psycat for a finishing blow,

Since punching and kicking were far less collateral-damage-promising than, say, explosions and energy blasts, the civilians in the area, rather than doing their whole panicked running and screaming thing, gathered around to watch the two summons fight, pointing and cheering. Good on them for diversifying their combat tactics. Apparently, since Psycat didn't look exactly like Copycat and the Lucaslike did look like the well-known (especially in Millaine) director, they...weren't entirely certain who to cheer for. Both summons seemed to have their fans.

Spoiler
    Show
    Champion Tactician
    Move: Feint Psycat at (1d20+7)[19].
    Standard: Attack Psycat with Set Up, Power Attacking for 4, at (1d20+10)[20]. On a hit, Toughness DC 29 vs. Damage, and Prowess DC 24 vs. Weaken All Defenses. The Weaken is Triggered, taking effect at the start of the Tactician's next turn, but after that is Instant Recovery, so it expires entirely at the end of Psycat's turn thereafter. 99% sure with AoA that hits regardless of the feint, but uh, do we have Copycat's summon template anywhere with easy access?
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-05-08 at 12:36 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Wilson

"Right. Yes. 'Poofed.'" Wilson ran a hand through his hair. "Okay." He sort of felt like this was something Mary ought to have been here for. "Tell me, Sarah...does Moro look normal to you?"

Sean

The bullets flew into where Sean had been a few seconds ago, as he spared just enough time to give the armoured Declan a glare before darting past him, shoving Beth's unfortunate target out of the way and taking the ferocious blow in his stead. The force of the punch knocked him back a pace or so, and as he gathered his wits he looked up at Beth and Declan.

And...Sean had been kinda irritated at times before. When Copycat had excessively channeled the Maelstrom was the most obvious time, but also the argument he'd started pretty much the first time he'd worked with the other Heroes.

Those occasions paled to almost nothing compared to the look of sheer venemous rage he gave Declan. "Murderer," he snarled.

His expression softened ever so slightly as he looked back to Beth. "Don't, Beth. If you hit these people you will kill them. There's no Eskiro here to bring people back. No matter who they are, or what they're responsible for...you can't undo taking a life."

Show
    Move: Dazed.
    Standard: Try to talk down Beth: (1d20)[7]. And Waterworks thinks she has it bad...
    Extra Effort: Try again. Fail again.

Status: 1 Bruise (regenerates next round), Dazed this round, Fatigued next round.
    Last edited by Llyarden; 2016-05-08 at 03:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Declan watched the Defiants being torn apart by the explosion with grim enjoyement - definitely not suited to a Hero, if not villain-level outright. The little voice that was saying he should have gone non-lethal and find a way to get them imprisoned? Locked far, far away by his hatred.

The sudden appearance of Beth and Sean was bewildering in the best case, and unsettling in the worse. Conflicting feelings clashed against each other in a violent storm: pride at seeing Beth take his side unquestioningly, and fear that he had turned her into a clod-blooded killer; anger towards Sean, but also gratefulness for keeping Beth from killing; burning hatred towards the Defiants, and unwillingness to be become a murderer in the eyes of his love; and, drowning all the rest like a roaring thunder over the combative chirping of birds competing for food, the desire to prevent the massacre Avis predicted from happening - no matter the cost.

"..."

"This in none of your business. Leave."
    he replied, cold as death despite his inner turmoil, and raised the arm with the machinegun towards the other power armour.

"I won't stand by, this time. I won't let them do it again."

Show
    Move: Uhm...eh...I would probably be better off not rolling, but who am I to pass on the chance of more drama? Talk Down Beth to make her leave, Intimidation @-5 (1d20-3)[12]. Hey look, I actually did better than Sean.
    Standard: All-out Power Attack on Armoured Defiant at (1d20+11)[15], Toughness DC 30+Multiattack vs Lethal Damage.

...you know, Quellian, you might not even need mind control or possession or such to turn Declan into an enemy for a future boss fight. I was playing in your hand all along, wasn't I?
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2016-05-08 at 04:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro pauses, considering his options. While yes, he had jumped through hoops and put forth decent effort into ensuring that Kathlyn Street had gotten the position she now has, he couldn't deny that her ill-gotten reputation, no matter how unjust, would bring problems. Mulling over the possible paths, Maestro realized that he was looking at it all from the wrong perspective. Someone like him surely wouldn't stand for having their name filed off their legacy, but someone like Kathlyn? She just wanted to live a successful life and do a job she's good at. And that was something Maestro could more than readily supply.

The Psychokinetic addresses Amelia almost immediately after she gives him the advice, the whole inner conflict he had just had taking up less than a sliver of a second (though he always took care to leave some time between question and answer. Other people often found overly quick responses weird). "Hmm... You do have a point. I'm sure I can convince Kathlyn she can do just as much good out of the limelight as in it. Heck, I wouldn't even be lying! Besides, I'm sure she won't take it personally. After all, the average person doesn't really care for leaving an enduring legacy upon history. People like us, on the other hand..." Maestro raises his cup of tea in acknowledgement of the fellow wayfarer of personal fortune. "We want to change the world."

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Tom shook his head in confusion as his Summon disappeared in a flash of ectoplasma.

Even Herodian Trent hadn't been that incompetent.

With a pop he had zipped in to replace his defeated summon, teleporting into space in front of the Lucaslike with a leg tucked in. He struck out, aiming to thrust his foot into the most-likely-Summon's gut with enough force to wind it, giving him time to prepare properly for a brawl. After his manoeuvre, he flipped onto the ground next to his opponent, taking up his normal stance before addressing the surrounding people.

"Back up, back up, he could be dangerous!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Free Action: Swapping to Interceptor's Teleportation. Using Power Mastery to raise Teleport Strike to Rank 11, put Accurate on it, and increase Protection by 3 (altering Cat's Defence/Toughness shift to 8/14).
    Move Action: Teleport in.
    Standard Action: Teleport Strike. Attack at (1d20+9)[10] for DC 28+Multiattack Damage and DC 23+Multiattack Fortitude against Dazed and Vulnerable/Stunned and Defenseless.
    Edit: ...Forgot to mention I was using Power Attack 2, but um, don't think it mattered.

Last edited by manwithaplan; 2016-05-09 at 01:36 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

"There's no need for name calling, Suzanne," Waterworks admonishes gently. Even if she's completely correct... she sends to Lucas a moment later. "If Lucas and Suzanne never faced another villain in their entire life, I wouldn't complain. I think you're over-exaggerating things, though. Except for the one outlying case--which I'll say once again had a whole long list of special circumstances and shouldn't ever happen again--both Lucas and Suzanne have acted as good citizens trying to do the right thing. I'm not going to ask them to stop doing that; if more people did it, everyone's life would be a little easier. Suzanne, as a fairly powerful Dreamer with at least some combat training--you did have some basic combat training with your powers, right?--is well within her rights to pitch in against an enemy if she thinks she's needed, although she could definitely be a little more cautious about it."

Waterworks turns quickly away from Jep, hands up in a placating gesture towards Suzanne. "I'm not trying to downgrade your help, Suzanne. You've been pretty amazing when you've helped us out. The difference here I think is in how we've chosen to focus our skills. I'm a certified Hero Corps member, which means my job is first and foremost going to be a lot of fighting. Every day--well, except for my days off--is focused on making sure that I can use my abilities as best I know how for fighting the bad guys. You're an actress. In order to keep doing what you love, you can't really afford the same amount of focus that the other Heroes and I have to put in to our work. That doesn't mean your powers are any less awesome--trust me, they're awesome--but it shouldn't have to be a part of your life to use them in life or death situations all the time. If you want it to be a part of your life, then that's something you can think about and decide on.

"I'm not going to say 'leave the Heroing to the Heroes,'"
    Waterworks continues, rolling her eyes. "I have no problems with what you've done in the past. You've helped us a lot. Still, there's a difference between getting attacked a few times, even the attacks you've seen, and going looking for trouble. You don't need to tell me that, though." Hey Lucas? Can you tell Suzanne that this is mostly for Jep's benefit? I don't think she needs me preaching at her, really. She's a smart woman, she knows how to take care of herself.

Show
    Persuasion on Jep: (1d20+6)[16]
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Wilson

"I mean, she's all glowy," Sarah said, stepping back from the conjured wolf to examine her more critically. "And her eyes are usually red, not blue. But other than that she looks normal."

"Did Uncle Maestro make Moro magic?"

For an eight year old, it was a valid question.

Ah, heck, who am I kidding. For anyone who knew Maestro Mentallo, it was a pretty darn valid question.

Declan and Sean

"Sean! What the h-" Beth shouted as Sean took her punch in the Defiant's stead, but as he warned her of the probable ramifications of her actions, she got a kinda sheepish look on her face. "Sorry," she said softly. "But...they're shooting at us," she said more firmly, as some more bullets whizzed by. "I mean, badly, but...I can't just stand here. Declan's fighting them for a reason. ...I'll be careful."

When Declan than coldly told them both that this was none of their business and to leave...Beth was taken momentarily aback. She looked at him in blank shock, but flashes of emotion were warring in her eyes. It was like she was finally seeing just where they were, just what was going on.

If Declan believed he was in the right, why wouldn't he want their help?

A dozen more trainees came pouring out of the cabins, firing wildly into the fray. From one window, a high-explosive, focused-burst rocket came streaking out, straight at Declan, a weapon powerful enough to potentially damage even the Unbreakable's...rather superfluous suit of powered armor. Not Declan himself though. Oh no. Not by a long shot.

The power armored Dreamer continued failing to be the only thing on this battlefield that might have been able to present something resembling a threat to I dunno maybe Beth at least in favor of engaging the newly-minted Dreamer, firing a bright red energy blast straight at him.

Beth forcefully quashed the question, ignored Declan's demand, and turned her attention to the people who were shooting at her. She respected Sean, liked and trusted him too. He told her she could kill these people, and while Defiant weren't exactly on her short list of people deserving of mercy...she also knew there were better ways to handle such foes. She crouched to leap...

Spoiler
    Show
    Power Armored Defiant:
    Move: Nah.
    Standard: Attack New Dreamer with Energy Blast at (1d20+8)[13]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+5)[11]) DC 23 vs. Secondary Effect Damage. Bruised and Staggered.

New Dreamer:
    I'll be honest, I'm waiting to see the results of this attack before I decide what he does.
    End of Turn: Regenerates a Bruise.

Some Dude With A Rocket Launcher?:
    Fires a rocket at Declan! To precisely zero effect!

Trainees:
    Move: Various.
    Standard: What have we got, like 28 active now? So figure a full dozen of them shoot at Declan and do absolutely nothing. The others will continue taking DC 19+Multiattack shots at Sean and Beth.
    Sean: (1d20)[3], (1d20)[14], (1d20)[15], (1d20)[12], (1d20)[7], (1d20)[8], (1d20)[15], (1d20)[8]. Nothin'
    Beth: (1d20)[2], (1d20)[16], (1d20)[9], (1d20)[2], (1d20)[18], (1d20)[5], (1d20)[9], (1d20)[6]. Hey! It actually hits! Beth actually has to- Oh, wait, her forcefield's Impervious. N-nevermind then.

EDIT: And I totally forgot Beth's action. Will do that in the OOC along with New Dreamer.

Maestro

Amelia smiled and clinked Maestro's cup with her own. "Excellent, good. I'm glad it won't be a problem," she said, taking a sip of her tea. "You know, there were a couple associates of mine who thought it would be. They said that a person your age probably wouldn't be ready to play on this level, would be too proud and attached to past achievements to think of the future. Of course, they haven't worked with you before."

Copycat

The tactician saw you coming, and once more, sidestepped deftly, leaving your foot to hit nothing but air. He took advantage of your momentum to try to grab the back of your head by the hair, redirecting the force of your movement to slam you face-first into the ground, hoping to leave you too disoriented and poorly-positioned to respond to the attack.

The crowd, seeing a Hero in play, did back up. Quite a bit, in fact. After all, those announcements that went out every so often about making sure you weren't putting yourself in danger by getting too close to a Heroic battle had been well-received.

Spoiler
    Show
    Champion Tactician:
    Move: Feint Copycat at (1d20+7)[20].
    Standard: Attack Copycat with Unanswerable Strike at (1d20+14)[27]. On a hit, Toughness DC 25 vs. Damage, Will DC 20 vs. Cumulative Entranced/Stunned/Incapacitated Affliction. If the Feint succeeds, he Power Attacks for 4, modifying the attack roll and DCs accordingly. Hit's either way, but roll against the Feint to determine if it Power Attacks.

Waterworks

"Tom's showed me a few things, yeah," Suzanne answered. As Waterworks continued, her face got a little...still. It was hard to say what she was actually feeling.

Then Lucas responded, ~Done.~

Suzanne's features immediately softened, and she said, "Sorry. Look, the truth is, the fighting and stuff...it can be really scary. And...painful, sometimes." She and Lucas...actually both twitched some when she said that, an eerily identical response.

(They um...they might not have actually, you know, gone into detail about some of what they had done in that rescue. Their second battle in particular.)

So, I just get defensive if people start telling me I did something wrong doing it. But trust me, Jep, I have no inclination to throw myself into danger like that unless I'm absolutely sure that it's very, very well worth the risk. I'm not a Hero. I just play one in the movies."
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-05-09 at 01:51 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Wilson

"I, uh...I don't think so." This was going to be rather difficult to explain. "See, Sarah, I don't think that's the Moro you're used to being friends with."

Sean

"Beth, stop," Sean snarled, though he wasn't so much angry as...concerned. He pretty much ignored Declan's demand, just as Beth had. "You don't know how to hold back. Whether you think you do or not." To be fair, when her main sparring partners were Declan and Sean himself, holding back against either of them was a lesser concern. "I've had to deal with killing," he said more quietly. "It's not something I'd wish on anyone."

"The Defiant attacked Millaine because they're afraid of what Dreamers might do at some point."
    Sean's tone made his scorn for that viewpoint quite clear. And then he nodded towards Declan. "That remind you of anyone?"

Show
    Standard: Attempt to talk down Beth, with Intimidation this time: (1d20+20)[40] I think she is talked down. Also is it just me or does Sean always seem to have remarkable luck just when he needs it?
    End of Turn: Regenerates a Bruise.

Last edited by Llyarden; 2016-05-09 at 01:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro chuckled at Amelia's remark. "Well, I can't blame them for guessing as such. Hell, were this about six months ago, I might have had to think about it for a few milliseconds more. Recent past events have taught me that change is an integral part of moving forward." As the psychokinetic speaks, he opens his palm and allows his powers to dabble through them, with lightning crackling between his fingers, before culminating into a red-tinged ball of wavering heat, then igniting into a little sphere of light, before being snuffed out with a clenched fist. "What matters, at the end of the day, is not that everyone comes out a winner. What matters is that everything is better for the action than it was before you began. Not everybody's going to like the way forward, but denying it is just a one way path to obsolescence. If you aren't willing to roll with the punches, and even further, make the punches roll with you, then you're going nowhere fast. And, even if some people have to be pushed aside and into place in order to clear the path ahead, I assure you, Ms. Gosselin, I fully intend to move forward."
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2016-05-09 at 03:03 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"You don't get it, do you? It's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when." Declan rebuked.

"I will stop them before thousands of people die at their hands."

All the while, he didn't take his eyes off of the armoured Defiant, but ended the rain of bullets to ready the armour's built-in sword. The man would play a big part in the attack Avis predicted, and as such he needed to make sure to kill him before Sean could interfere.

"Even if I have to get my hands dirty."

The jetpack suddenly coming to life, Declan dashed forward and swinged at his opponent - a second attack following shortly after if the first wasn't sufficient or, well, Sean interfered.

Show
    Move: closing in on Armoured Defiant.
    Standard: All-out Power Attack him with Claymore at (1d20+11)[13], Toughness DC 30 vs Lethal Damage and Fortitude DC 25 vs Cumulative Impaired/Disabled/Incapacitated.
    Extra Effort Standard: do it again at (1d20+11)[12]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Waterworks winces inwardly when she sees Suzanne's initial reaction to her words. Better apologize to her personally later, just to be safe. Suzanne and Lucas' identical twitch catches her attention, but she lets it pass for now. If Lucas wants to talk about it, he'll tell me.

"There, Jep; both of them have said that they have no plans to needlessly risk themselves in the future. Is that enough?"
    She asks aloud, smiling.

Show
    If I'm guessing correctly, I need one more success to make Jep back down, right?

Persuasion: (1d20+6)[21]
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Wilson

"She's not?" Sarah asked confusedly, looking at the conjured Moro skeptically. "Does Moro have a sister?"

Maestro

"That's a very productive attitude. I'm glad to hear it," Amelia said sincerely. She did, however, get a bit of a cagey look on her face as she added, "I'm actually a little surprised you put it in quite those words," eyeing you speculatively.

You get the sense that how you respond to that statement might be...important.

Declan and Sean

The armored Defiant dodged Declan's first swing, but the second tore through the frontal plate of its armor, dropping it to the ground, bleeding profusely. The person inside would die shortly if no one saved it.

The remaining Defiant continued shooting, for what it was worth. Perhaps it would eventually dawn on them how helpless they were.

Or perhaps not.

From inside the large building, someone apparently came up with a more practical play. Given the resiliency of the unknown power armored attacker, it was clear that heavy artillery was required. Something powerful enough to tear through even the toughest armor, a devastating weapon that no being could long withstand. The blast fired at Declan from one of the windows, its molten red hue indicative of the tremendous level of threat it presented. That's right, the Defiant had broken out the big guns, the single most powerful piece of ordinance in their entire camp, the one, the only, the PLASMA CANNON!

Sean's words gave Beth pause. She wanted to help, but...Sean knew what it was to have a power that could cause more harm than you intended. If she trusted her own beliefs over his experience, and was wrong...

She looked over the swarming Defiant, the swarming people, fighting desperately and completely unable to harm them in the least. They might have been shooting at them, but against Declan's invulnerability, her forcefield, and Sean's superhuman resilience...they might as well have been throwing snowballs. If she killed them, it would be like shooting someone who had shoved her roughly in the street.

It...wasn't right.

So why is Declan doing it?

"D-" Beth began, before halting herself. Declan wasn't wearing the powered armor for either protection or offense. The only benefit it really gave him was concealing his identity. "Wait! Stop! Let's...let's just leave! They can't hurt us!" she shouted over. She didn't want to pick sides here, but this wasn't the place to hold this sort of discussion.

Spoiler
    Show
    I realized, Declan's sword would have qualified for a Strength-based bonus, and since he attacked at +11, he had room for +1 Damage in his PL limits. And since the armored Defiant was only one point above a four-degree failure, it should actually have been rendered DYING!

I'mma stop rolling for the mooks now. Their uselessness is well-established.

And yes, Declan is still completely immune to plasma cannons.

Waterworks

Show
    Honestly I've been kinda going with "if Persuasion beats DC 15 Jep'll react reasonably-positively, if it fails he won't, and if it fails by two or more degrees he'll react especially negatively". One of these days I should probably get some more coherent social rules together, since the default ones leave...something to be desired. And general social interaction shouldn't be anywhere near as difficult as the Talk Down rules I came up with.

Jep gave a little sigh, but apparently his anger had played itself out, and if he were honest, he didn't really want to leave the movie. Aside from all the hype surrounding it, he really loved the Maestro character. "Very well, I suppose that will suffice."

"Wonderful. Then if we could, perhaps, all get back to work?"

Spoiler: And Now For A Different Perspective
    Show
    The Champion Tactician, unlike most summons, was smart enough to wonder if being sent grocery shopping was really the optimal use of his prodigiously enhanced intelligence and tactical fighting abilities.

He understood, however, the logic behind it. His true power, in this case, was not his cognitive enhancement, but his physical appearance. No one would question acclaimed director Lucas Fairbourne shopping for groceries. The Boss had been exceedingly cautious ever since receiving that telepathic warning that the Mimic was coming for him. He knew what powers the Mimic had access to, knew that any blatant use of his abilities would be something that the Mimic could potentially home in on, use to determine his location. Sending an Angel of Light to teleport into a supermarket, steal a bunch of supplies at Luminous Blade-point, and vanish in a flash of light leaving a store full of terrified civilians behind would have been too easy to detect. But sending a summon bearing the same appearance as the original owner of its powers, in a perfectly normal rental car, to pick up groceries like any other person on any other day? Even the precognitive powers of the Precog wouldn't be able to discern that against the background cloud of countless possible futures.

Or so the Tactician had thought, until he felt the mental intrusion as he was loading the car. Quickly blanking his mind, he swept the area with a hasted gaze, simultaneously sending to the Boss through the Bind between them, ~I have been subject to a mind-reading power. I am, ah, it is the Mimic, and I believe one of his Recruits. Orders?~

The summon felt more than heard the annoyed sigh. ~Hold him off, I suppose. Try to distract him. If you can keep him focused on you I might be able to send a teleporter to retrieve the groceries without him realizing it and pulling some sort of teleport-tracking ability out of his big toe to find me. Or getting Mentallo to build some sort of teleport-tracing radio tower in fifteen seconds, or whatever other nonsense these people manage.~

The Tactician nodded, watching as the Mimic's Recruit leaped in. It was a powerful, though heavily telegraphed attack. The Tactician had calculated the angle of approach, velocity, impact point, and other physical variables before the summon was halfway through the air. Its aerial stance suggested an immediate strike with a drop-kick, rather than landing in an advantageous position for a follow-up strike. A poor choice against an unknown opponent, the Tactician critiqued mentally. If the target was able to defend, it would leave it open to a follow-up attack.

At the last moment time optimally calculated to ensure a successful evasion while minimizing the opponent's opportunity to react to the defense, the Tactician shifted aside, pivoting on its left foot so the other Recruit struck only the ground. Immediately, he capitalized. Blow after rapid blow hammered the mind-reader. The intent was to set it up for a finishing strike, but the enemy was in such a vulnerable position that the openings basically left themselves. The Tactician calculated seven different ways it could end the battle, five of them lethal to a human, two likely lethal to a superhuman. It elected for a strike to the chin to wrench the Recruit's head around, followed by an elbow to the base of the skull to render it immediately unconscious. Unable to maintain its physical state, it collapsed into ectoplasm.

Of course, then the Mimic himself was upon him.

The Mimic vanished. To normal minds, teleportation was instantaneous. To someone who processed information as quickly as the Tactician, it was merely very fast. A teleporting attacker almost always appears directly in front of or behind its target. In either case, the appropriate defense was the same. The Tactician was already moving to the side when the Mimic appeared, allowing his kick to go sailing by harmlessly.

Well, harmlessly to him, anyway. A superpowered kick carried a lot of momentum with it, and having the reaction time to have seen his opponent appearing in kicking stance, the Tactician was already initiating his counter, slipping around to grab the Mimic by the hair and slam him face-first into the ground, with the full force of both his superhuman strength and the Mimic's own momentum behind the blow. That would hopefully stun him long enough to the Boss to send a teleporter for the groceries, and-

~The threat is neutralized.~

~I'm sorry. What?~

~I have defeated the Mimic's Recruit and rendered the Mimic himself unconscious. Shall I kill him?~

~Of course you should- Wait. Why wouldn't you kill him?~

~He has undoubtedly acquired additional powers since your last interaction with him. I was unsure that you wouldn't want to make physical contact first.~

~Ah...no. No, it is too risky. They almost certainly would have some way of tracking each other. It would lead them right to me.~

~He does have...some sort of electronic device on him. It's GPS enabled. I believe it is also connected wirelessly to their teleporter. This is probably the device they would use to track him.~

~I see...could you spoof the data?~

~I could, yes. However, it is probable that any technological misdirection that I employ would be detectable by the Psychic, if he knew to look. And destroying it may send up an alert. I believe the optimal solution would be to secure it elsewhere, and rig up a proximity detonator to destroy it if anyone gets too close.~

There were a few moments' pause, then, ~No. The Haptarans had captured them all, and they were rescued within hours. Leaving him alive is too great a risk.~

~There is...one other factor you may wish to consider. 'Hours' is not immediately. If they were to mount a rescue, we would have time to prepare.~

~And you believe that wise?~

~It is high risk, yet high reward. I calculate your chances of victory, with the right strategy, to be favorable. And it may be the only opportunity to force the encounter on your terms.~

~They were upon me in seconds last time. It won't work if an alert goes out. Were there any witnesses to your battle?~

~Several civilians, yes. The Luminous Blade of an Angel of Light would cauterize the injuries, minimizing the necessary cleanup.~

~I will send one immediately.~

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Wilson

"Um...no, I don't quite think it's her sister." Wilson tried to think of any time Sarah might have met a summoned creature. "You know my friend Tom, right?" he asked after a moment. "You know how he sometimes has someone with him who looks a bit like him, but isn't quite like him? That's someone he's used his Dreamer power to create."

"I think Moro is a bit like that."

Sean

The scent of blood caught Sean's attention and he spun round with a muttered curse, realising that in his focus on preventing Beth from killing he'd entirely neglected to keep track of what Declan was doing.

He sprang away from Beth and over to the fallen power-armour wearer, ignoring the Defiant that were milling around the three of them, using his claws to cut away at the ruined section of armour, which wasn't really helping anyway. There were a few things he still remembered about the Defiant, and one of them was that most suits of powered armour had a serum of some description that helped to slow bloodflow - useful for when you were a normal human getting beaten about by super-strength with only a few bits of metal to protect you. Working more by scent than sight, he tugged it out from its holster and - as carefully as he could in the circumstances - injected the dying soldier with it.

If it had been a Dreamtech serum, it would likely have worked straight away and saved the man's life. But, unsurprisingly enough, the Defiant tended not to use much Dreamtech.

Of course, this had the handy side effect of leaving Sean very pointedly between Declan and the power-armour wearer. He hoped that Beth's shout would get through to Declan, but he didn't truly expect it to. Declan had lost whatever trust Sean had had in him the moment he'd fired that missile.

Show
    Move: Move over to the armoured soldier.
    Standard: Attempt to stabilise them with Treatment (DC15, -5 for lack of tools): (1d20+5)[14] If it fails, Extra Effort to try again: [roll1d20+5[/roll] 13.

Last edited by Llyarden; 2016-05-12 at 05:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro lifted his brow in mock surprise. "Oh? I assure you, it came from the heart. I mean, if it sounds at all familiar, I'm certain it's pure coincidence." He smiles. "Though, coincidence is a funny thing, isn't it? I mean, think about it. How many times throughout history have men and women toiled alone towards a goal, only to find along the way that there were others trying just as hard? It's fascinating really, such synchronicity. Without it, humanity would never get anything done. We're beasts of cooperation, after all. We only ever truly achieve our goals when many of us are working towards a single purpose, and sometimes this uniformity of choice happens for seemingly no reason other than fate." The young genius calmly sips his tea, seeming pensive. "But who are we to deny fate, hm? If the world sees fit to put a few people's hopes and dreams in line with one another, then it's our best option, no, our duty to monopolize upon it, and work together to achieve our common goal. Wouldn't you agree, Ms. Gosselin?" Maestro tipped his teacup towards the hyper analyst in a gesture of deference, patiently awaiting her response. Though, the Psychokinetic would bet his entire world that he already knew her answer.
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2016-05-12 at 01:01 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Completely ignoring the plasma blast, Declan gave an angered look to Sean (not that it showed, since he wore an helmet, but whatever). "W-"

-hat the hell you think you're doing?

He wasn't that wrong, though. Alive, the Defiant could be questioned about their plan. Declan made a sound halfway between a sigh and a disappointed grunt, and turned to face Beth.

"Not us. But H...someone I know has seen the future. They're going to stage an attack that will kill thousands."

He turned again to the Defiants, and raised his left arm - the one with the flamethrower.

"I have to stop them. There's no other way."

Then, after a short jump to get in the best position, he let the fiery stream loose...but the flames weren't burning as hot as they should. Declan clenched his fist in frustration, a torn expression behind his helmet: Defiants or not, being a cold-blooded murderer in front of Beth was becoming more and more difficult.

Show
    Move: to where I can get the most Defiants.
    Standard: cooking 'em with Flamethrower, Dodge DC 20 for half, Toughness DC 25 vs Secondary Effect Damage.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Wilson

"So...how did she get here?" Sarah asked. She seemed to understand the idea of summoning just fine, but she didn't appear aware that she was the one who had created the effect.

Maestro

Amelia gave a slender smile in response. You might have missed the subtle nod she returned to you if you hadn't known it was there. "Quite so. Indeed, I would say these are precisely the principles that the Assembly was founded upon. Disparate people with amazing capacities all working together in common goals."

"So, is there any other business you would care to discuss, while we wait for lunch?"

Declan and Sean

Sean did his best, but without proper supplies, trying to stabilize the armored Defiant was a losing battle. The dying man reached blearily out with a shaky hand, grasping at Sean's face. He was trying to say something. The words came out faint and halting through the blood bubbling in his lungs, but if he strained to hear it or moved his face closer, Sean could just barely make out the word:

"T-t-...traitor..."

Then his eyes rolled up in his head and he started seizing.

Boy, those Defiant really knew how to hold a grudge, didn't they?

Across the way, Beth was torn. On the one hand, she understood where Declan was coming from, she could get his motivation here. On the other hand...there had to be a better way, right?

As she hesitated, Declan sprayed flame all over a knot of Defiant. It was not as much fire as it could have been, which was to say that instead of instantly charring them to the bone, it merely set their clothes and hair and even skin on fire. The Defiant shrieked like dying animals as they collapsed, writhing, the flames continuing to sear horrible burns all over their bodies.

That...that got to her.

"Oh god stop! Please just stop!" Beth pled, throwing her arms around Declan. Whether the move was meant to be a hug or a grapple was...debatable, but there was no denying her intent to hold him back.

The newly-empowered Defiant, completely overcome, dropped to his knees, staring at his green-glowing hands as if they were covered in blood.

He didn't even see the rocket heading his way.

The other Defiant began fleeing, clearly seeing their weapons were useless here. A few of them still took the occasional pot shot, but for the most part they were running - and scattering.

Spoiler
    Show
    Beth:
    Move: Into Close range of Declan.
    Standard: Attempt to Grab Declan at (1d20+8)[27]. On a hit, Strength or Dodge DC 22 (16 if using Strength) vs. Grab. Hit

Some Dude With A Rocket Launcher:
    Fire at New Dreamer at (1d20+4)[12]. On a hit, Toughness ((1d20+5)[15]) DC 27 vs. Damage. Hit. StaggeredX2 = DYING! unless Interposed.

New Dreamer:
    End of Turn: Regenerates a Bruise if still conscious.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-05-16 at 02:52 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Wilson

Well, nothing for it. "I think you called her, Sarah. Look here, see?" Wilson stepped in, still keeping a cautious eye on the conjured Moro, and picked up the mirror that hung on the wall of Sarah's room, angling it such that Sarah could see her own reflection - and her own glowing eyes - in the mirror.

Sean

Sean had just a moment to lean back and sigh in annoyance before the noise and scent of the rocket launcher caught his attention and he leapt back across the battlefield, the rocket that had been aimed at the newly-empowered Dreamer detonating against his back not quite harmlessly, but certainly not to the devastating effect its wielder had undoubtedly hoped for.

Looking down at the Dreamer-Defiant, with blood on his hands, still-unsheathed-claws, and face, he probaby presented an even more intimidating figure than he usually did. "Get up." Just because he wanted to keep the man alive...he was still a would-be Defiant. Sean might not have had exactly the same hatred of Defiants that Declan did, but he certainly wasn't fond of them. "If you wanna survive, head into the trees. And don't think about doing anything stupid, because I will be able to find you."

He looked over to Beth and Declan. He could've heard the pain in her voice even without catching it in her scent as well. That...lost Declan whatever tiny shred of respect - mostly born from gratitude for his protecting Emily - Sean had still held for him. He didn't make any move to assist Beth physically; he was alert enough to realise that that would probably make matters worse. But he did move back into Declan's field of vision, close enough that the former soldier would be able to hear him. "One in every ten of the people here would never have become Defiants. And I guess you probably don't care about you being responsible for their deaths, but the people that may die when - not if, when - the Defiant retaliate for this..."

"I'd say their deaths would be on your conscience, but I don't think you have one."

Show
    Standard: Try to convince the New Dreamer into...y'know, not being in the middle of a firefight while having his nervous breakdown. Intimidate (-2 for Exhausted): (1d20+18)[37]
    Move: Into close range of Declan.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

"None that I can think of at the moment. For now, let's just enjoy the afternoon. Thank you for your advice, Amelia. I couldn't tell you why exactly, but I get the distinct impression that today is the beginning of something marvellous." Maestro Mentallo grins, eager and excited for all that was to come.

Show
    We are go for timeskip!
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2016-05-16 at 05:51 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Declan might have hesitated, but fire isn't forgiving: the Defiants were still most likely beyond saving. They would no longer threaten innocents. It was what he came to do, what for years he wanted to do. When he fired the missile, before, he enjoyed it.

So, why was he now feeling empty? Why wasn't he even trying to free himself from Beth's grip, so that he could finish what he started?

Why did her plea felt like a thousand swords piercing his heart? Why did the scorn in Sean's voice make him hesitate even more?

He leveled the machinegun at the fleeing Defiants with unsteady aim.

He knew what he had to do: he had to wipe the camp, lest what Sean was saying - Defiant retaliation - come true, and yet...he couldn't muster the will to anymore. The flames of hatred quenched, there was nothing left to fuel the killing spree. Only the hollow realisation of what he had done remained.

Was he really any better than them? Fight fire with fire, is what he repeated himself all these years, but now that he finally had the chance to was he really willing to throw away his happiness, his entire life - or what was left of it, anyway - for that?

He collapsed on himself and, unless Beth supported him, he would get on his knees first and end up on all fours. Tears of anger - at the world, but mostly at himself - and frustration clouded his eyes and, as he thanked the fact that the helmet was covering his face, he whispered a single phrase.

"I wish I didn't."
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2016-05-17 at 11:19 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Wilson

Sarah looked at her glowing eyes in the mirror for several long seconds. The shock was plain on her face, but also a gradually dawning excitement. "I...I'm a Dreamer?" she asked.

She looked at the summoned Moro, narrowing her eyes a little bit. "Sit!" she commanded, and the wolf immediately dropped to a sitting position. "Heel!" she said, and the summon moved quickly to her side.

She closed her eyes tightly, seeming to concentrate for a couple seconds. When she opened her eyes, the light in them was gone, as was the wolf.

She looked at her dad...looked at the spot Moro had been...looked back at her dad...

"THAT WAS SO COOL!"

Show
    The Assembly does offer services for new Dreamers, including some focused on children who develop powers. Analysis, testing, registration, things like that. No Dreamer is required to avail themselves of such services, but it's usually a worthwhile idea.

Declan and Sean

The new Dreamer blanched at Sean, but the words seemed to get through. He pulled himself to his feet and staggered off, moving slowly because of his injury, but going in another direction from where the now fully-routed Defiant trainees were fleeing.

Beth continued holding Declan - it was definitely a hug now - casually supporting both his weight and that of the powered armor as his legs buckled. "It's okay," she said quietly. "We'll figure out some other way to stop them. It's okay."

Her eyes were still locked on the burning, screaming Defiant. "Sean, can you call Eskiro? He...maybe he can still help them."

Waterworks and Maestro

The rest of the day on the set/lunch with Amelia went swimmingly. It happened that you were both at the base for a standard check-in when Maestro spotted something in one of his social media feeds. An apparently phone-taken video had been posted that...well, at first glance, it looked like it was some weird PR stunt for the movie. It depicted Lucas Fairbourne basically effortlessly dodging and then one-shotting first one of Copycat's summons, and then Copycat himself, before standing above the fallen mimic for a few seconds before there was a flash of light and the video abruptly cut out.

The comments section had the expected deluge of posts that could basically be summed up as "FAKE" with increasing numbers of exclamation points. And indeed, it pretty much had to be fake, right? Not just because Lucas had been with Waterworks all day, not just because the difference between Lucas' fighting power and Copycat's was frankly insurmountable, but just because...I mean, it was Copycat. This is the man who had been punted through buildings, who had been maimed by a dire wolf, who had survived crashing his starship into an APEX cell, who had been mostly-accidentally-well-probably-well-that's-what-we're-calling-it-anyway blasted by the Maelstrom on multiple occasions. This is the man who, at the absolute nadir of his personal power, had been beaten, grabbed, and thrown into a building by a giant monkey's tail and lived to tell of it. There was no possible way that simply getting his face rammed into the ground really hard could incapacitated Copycat, was there? Besides, the timestamp of the video put it at several hours ago. Surely, if a threat had manifested that was so serious that it merited not just Copycat personally stepping in, but bringing a summon into combat with him, and he had lost...someone would have put it into the Hero App immediately. There was an entire crowd of witnesses in the video!

Except for the part where Maestro could tell with about a tenth of a second of observation that the footage was not faked, doctored, edited, or modified in any way. Further, with his extensive knowledge of the competitive martial arts world (yes, really) he could determine even from the short display that the form of Copycat and his summon's attacks matched Copycat's actual MMA style.

Copycat

You awaken in a bed. It's not exactly a luxurious bed, but it's definitely a bed, not a cot. You're in a modestly-appointed bedroom. There's a closet, a dresser, a nightstand, a television on the wall, a desk with a computer on it. The Recruiter is sitting at the desk. He...seems to be checking emails.

He looks the same as he did the first time you had encountered him, his "Desmond" guise. It was unlikely, given his penchant for disguise, that this was actually his appearance, so presumably he had donned it for your benefit.

There's a summon by the door, standing guard. It's one you haven't seen before. A kinda lanky-looking guy with hammers for fists. Amand Noel's Weighted Attacks, maybe? If so...that's not a power you had when you had first met him.

Some sense seems to alert him to the fact that you're awake. He hides the windows on the computer (his desktop image is an aerial photo of the Erdas mountains and Istaline river) and turns his chair to face you. "Tom," he says, his voice sort of...warily expectant.

Spoiler: Copycat
    Show
    You are under the influence of the mind control effect, but still in general control of your actions. The way it works in Copycat's head, it's basically a rearrangement of loyalties. People that Copycat previously cared about or was loyal to he's basically apathetic towards. He feels a fanatical devotion to the Recruiter, but not any particular affection or friendship. He actively wants to follow his orders and support his goals. He is aware of his previous feelings, but they're basically just dismissed as a mistake he's outgrown, like an adult looking back on their teenaged fashion choices and being like, "Hah, I can't believe I actually thought that was cool." This compulsion is tied in to his existing personality traits; he has an unconscious expectation of great reward for the aid he provides the Recruiter. For Copycat, I assume that would tie in to his desire for greater power, but you can play it how you want. He roughly retains his previous moral outlook, but it's much fainter, eclipsed by his new loyalty. If a command from the Recruiter conflicted with Copycat's personal morals, the command would win, even if Copycat kinda didn't like it.

The good news is, this mind control is using up the Recruiter's Ritualist Advantage, so he won't have access to that for other purposes during the hopefully-inevitable confrontation.

Take a pending Hero Point for the Complication.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide